Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on ultraviolet rays in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Locale: Tucson, Arizona, United States
Topic: ultraviolet rays
- Wondrak G. Let the sun shine in: mechanisms and potential for therapeutics in skin photodamage. Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2007;8:390-400 pubmed
- Korde V, Bonnema G, Xu W, Krishnamurthy C, Ranger Moore J, Saboda K, et al. Using optical coherence tomography to evaluate skin sun damage and precancer. Lasers Surg Med. 2007;39:687-95 pubmed..OCT has the potential to guide biopsies and provide non-invasive measures of skin sun damage and disease state, possibly increasing efficiency of chemopreventive agent trials. ..
- Cooper S, Bowden G. Ultraviolet B regulation of transcription factor families: roles of nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-kappaB) and activator protein-1 (AP-1) in UVB-induced skin carcinogenesis. Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2007;7:325-34 pubmed..The study of these two transcription factor pathways and the cross-talk between them in response to UVB exposure may help with the development of new chemopreventive strategies for the prevention of UVB-induced skin carcinogenesis. ..
- DICKINSON S, Melton T, Olson E, Zhang J, Saboda K, Bowden G. Inhibition of activator protein-1 by sulforaphane involves interaction with cysteine in the cFos DNA-binding domain: implications for chemoprevention of UVB-induced skin cancer. Cancer Res. 2009;69:7103-10 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that inhibition of AP-1 activity may be an important molecular mechanism in chemoprevention of squamous cell carcinoma by sulforaphane. ..
- Lamore S, Qiao S, Horn D, Wondrak G. Proteomic identification of cathepsin B and nucleophosmin as novel UVA-targets in human skin fibroblasts. Photochem Photobiol. 2010;86:1307-17 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data support the hypothesis that cathepsin B is a crucial target of UVA-induced photo-oxidative stress causatively involved in dermal photodamage through the impairment of lysosomal removal of lipofuscin. ..
- Liu Y, Ogden K. Benefits of high energy UV185 nm light to inactivate bacteria. Water Sci Technol. 2010;62:2776-82 pubmed publisher..Rates of inactivation were enhanced by 40% when UV185 light is used in addition to UV254 light. ..
- Boyer J, Jandova J, Janda J, Vleugels F, Elliott D, Sligh J. Resveratrol-sensitized UVA induced apoptosis in human keratinocytes through mitochondrial oxidative stress and pore opening. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2012;113:42-50 pubmed publisher..These results may have clinical implications for development of future chemotherapeutic treatment for tumors of the skin. ..
- Broome Powell M, Gause P, Hyman P, Gregus J, Lluria Prevatt M, Nagle R, et al. Induction of melanoma in TPras transgenic mice. Carcinogenesis. 1999;20:1747-53 pubmed..These results show that melanocytes expressing an activated Ha-ras in the TPras transgenic mice are susceptible to induction of melanoma by DMBA. ..
- Liebler D, Burr J. Effects of UV light and tumor promoters on endogenous vitamin E status in mouse skin. Carcinogenesis. 2000;21:221-5 pubmed..The results indicate that UVB and tumor promoting chemicals all exert qualitatively different effects on epidermal TH status and that UVB and TPA trigger an adaptive response involving epidermal TH accumulation. ..
- Foote J, Harris R, Giuliano A, Roe D, Moon T, Cartmel B, et al. Predictors for cutaneous basal- and squamous-cell carcinoma among actinically damaged adults. Int J Cancer. 2001;95:7-11 pubmed..The substantial incidence of skin cancer found among this population confirms the need for active dermatological monitoring among individuals with multiple visible actinic lesions. ..
- McAlister M, Kulakov L, O Hanlon J, Larkin M, Ogden K. Survival and nutritional requirements of three bacteria isolated from ultrapure water. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol. 2002;29:75-82 pubmed..or Ralstonia sp. 3A1 (isolated from the pretreatment loop). We believe that cryptic growth may aid survival of the bacteria in UPW, but further experiments are warranted to prove this phenomenon conclusively. ..
- Cooper S, MacGowan J, Ranger Moore J, Young M, Colburn N, Bowden G. Expression of dominant negative c-jun inhibits ultraviolet B-induced squamous cell carcinoma number and size in an SKH-1 hairless mouse model. Mol Cancer Res. 2003;1:848-54 pubmed..These data show that TAM67 can inhibit UVB-induced squamous cell carcinoma formation, suggesting that AP-1 is a good candidate target for the development of new chemoprevention strategies to prevent sunlight-induced skin cancers. ..
- Jenkins M, Suzuki T, Mount D. Evidence that heat and ultraviolet radiation activate a common stress-response program in plants that is altered in the uvh6 mutant of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiol. 1997;115:1351-8 pubmed..We propose the UV damage and heat induce a common stress response in plants that leads to tissue death and reduced chloroplast function, and that the UVH6 product is a negative regulator of this response. ..
- Moscaliuc M, Heller M, Lee E, Koo J. Goeckerman therapy: a very effective, yet often forgotten treatment for severe generalized psoriasis. J Dermatolog Treat. 2013;24:34-7 pubmed publisher..It is our hope that this case report serves to remind physicians that Goeckerman therapy is viable treatment option for patients with severe psoriasis, especially those with treatment-resistant psoriasis. ..
- Bair W, Hart N, Einspahr J, Liu G, Dong Z, Alberts D, et al. Inhibitory effects of sodium salicylate and acetylsalicylic acid on UVB-induced mouse skin carcinogenesis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2002;11:1645-52 pubmed
- Nicholson W, Setlow B, Setlow P. UV photochemistry of DNA in vitro and in Bacillus subtilis spores at earth-ambient and low atmospheric pressure: implications for spore survival on other planets or moons in the solar system. Astrobiology. 2002;2:417-25 pubmed
- Cooper S, Ranger Moore J, Bowden T. Differential inhibition of UVB-induced AP-1 and NF-kappaB transactivation by components of the jun bZIP domain. Mol Carcinog. 2005;43:108-16 pubmed
- Liu Z, Hong S, Escobar M, Vierling E, Mitchell D, Mount D, et al. Arabidopsis UVH6, a homolog of human XPD and yeast RAD3 DNA repair genes, functions in DNA repair and is essential for plant growth. Plant Physiol. 2003;132:1405-14 pubmed..Thus, homozygous insertions appear to be lethal. We conclude that the UVH6/AtXPD gene is required for UV resistance and is an essential gene in Arabidopsis. ..
- Atsumi S, Little J. Regulatory circuit design and evolution using phage lambda. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2086-94 pubmed..They also underscore the advantages of modifying a natural circuit as an approach to understanding circuit design, systems behavior, and circuit evolution. ..
- Bachelor M, Bowden G. Ultraviolet A-induced modulation of Bcl-XL by p38 MAPK in human keratinocytes: post-transcriptional regulation through the 3'-untranslated region. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:42658-68 pubmed..In conclusion, p38 MAPK and Bcl-XL expression play critical roles in the survival of UVA-irradiated HaCaT cells. ..
- Link L, Sawyer J, Venkateswaran K, Nicholson W. Extreme spore UV resistance of Bacillus pumilus isolates obtained from an ultraclean Spacecraft Assembly Facility. Microb Ecol. 2004;47:159-63 pubmed..subtilis biodosimetry strain, and one of the JPL-SAF isolates, B. pumilus SAFR-032, exhibited the highest degree of spore UV resistance observed by any Bacillus spp. encountered to date. ..
- Bachelor M, Silvers A, Bowden G. The role of p38 in UVA-induced cyclooxygenase-2 expression in the human keratinocyte cell line, HaCaT. Oncogene. 2002;21:7092-9 pubmed..Additionally, p38 appears to play a critical role in the UVA-induced expression of COX-2 in these keratinocytes and may serve as a potential drug target in the chemoprevention of skin cancer. ..
- Lorenz R, Lunine J, McKay C. Geologic settings for aqueous organic synthesis on Titan revisited. Enantiomer. 2001;6:83-96 pubmed..We propose an important role in surface organic reactions for ultraviolet sunlight transported to the surface as chemical energy stored in acetylene and released by polymerization at Titan's surface. ..
- Gardner R, Putnam C, Weinert T. RAD53, DUN1 and PDS1 define two parallel G2/M checkpoint pathways in budding yeast. EMBO J. 1999;18:3173-85 pubmed..Instead, we think it likely that both pathways contribute to establishing and maintaining arrest. ..
- Silvers A, Bachelor M, Bowden G. The role of JNK and p38 MAPK activities in UVA-induced signaling pathways leading to AP-1 activation and c-Fos expression. Neoplasia. 2003;5:319-29 pubmed publisher..Targeted inhibition of these MAPKs with their selective pharmacologic inhibitors may be effective chemopreventive strategies for UVA-induced nonmelanoma skin cancer. ..
- Benardini J, Sawyer J, Venkateswaran K, Nicholson W. Spore UV and acceleration resistance of endolithic Bacillus pumilus and Bacillus subtilis isolates obtained from Sonoran desert basalt: implications for lithopanspermia. Astrobiology. 2003;3:709-17 pubmed..subtilis, the benchmark organism, suggesting that spores of environmental B. pumilus isolates may be more likely to survive the rigors of interplanetary transfer. ..
- Zhang J, Bowden G. UVB irradiation regulates Cox-2 mRNA stability through AMPK and HuR in human keratinocytes. Mol Carcinog. 2008;47:974-83 pubmed publisher..Finally, we propose a novel model in which UVB regulates Cox-2 mRNA stability through the LKB1/AMPK pathway. ..
- Jandova J, Janda J, Sligh J. Cyclophilin 40 alters UVA-induced apoptosis and mitochondrial ROS generation in keratinocytes. Exp Cell Res. 2013;319:750-60 pubmed publisher..The ability of CyP40 to regulate UV induced apoptosis implicates this protein as a potential target for therapy in cancer cells. ..