Experts and Doctors on social behavior in Tempe, Arizona, United States
Locale: Tempe, Arizona, United States
Topic: social behavior
- Wang Y, Kocher S, Linksvayer T, Grozinger C, Page R, Amdam G. Regulation of behaviorally associated gene networks in worker honey bee ovaries. J Exp Biol. 2012;215:124-34 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, robust correlations between ovary size and neuraland endocrine response genes are consistent with the hypothesized roles of the ovaries in honey bee behavioral regulation. ..
- Penick C, Copple R, Mendez R, Smith A. The role of anchor-tipped larval hairs in the organization of ant colonies. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41595 pubmed publisher..Based on our results, it is likely that many species exhibit this larval hanging behavior, and this could impact colony characteristics such as spatial organization and the care of developing larvae by nurse workers. ..
- Page R, Rueppell O, Amdam G. Genetics of reproduction and regulation of honeybee (Apis mellifera L.) social behavior. Annu Rev Genet. 2012;46:97-119 pubmed publisher..This is remarkable because worker honeybees have reduced reproductive organs and are normally sterile; however, the reproductive regulatory network has been co-opted for behavioral division of labor. ..
- Spinrad T, Eisenberg N, Cumberland A, Fabes R, Valiente C, Shepard S, et al. Relation of emotion-related regulation to children's social competence: a longitudinal study. Emotion. 2006;6:498-510 pubmed
- Yan H, Opachaloemphan C, Mancini G, Yang H, Gallitto M, Mlejnek J, et al. An Engineered orco Mutation Produces Aberrant Social Behavior and Defective Neural Development in Ants. Cell. 2017;170:736-747.e9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the development of genetics in Harpegnathos establishes this ant species as a model organism to study the complexity of eusociality. ..
- Gospocic J, Shields E, Glastad K, Lin Y, Penick C, Yan H, et al. The Neuropeptide Corazonin Controls Social Behavior and Caste Identity in Ants. Cell. 2017;170:748-759.e12 pubmed publisher..We propose that corazonin is a central regulator of caste identity and behavior in social insects. ..
- Moore D, Liebig J. Mechanisms of social regulation change across colony development in an ant. BMC Evol Biol. 2010;10:328 pubmed publisher..Mechanisms of conflict mediation observed in one phase of a social group's development cannot be generalized to all stages. ..
- Amdam G, Rueppell O, Fondrk M, Page R, Nelson C. The nurse's load: early-life exposure to brood-rearing affects behavior and lifespan in honey bees (Apis mellifera). Exp Gerontol. 2009;44:467-71 pubmed publisher..Our findings are consistent with the roles of vitellogenin in regulation of honey bee behavior and lifespan. ..
- Amdam G, Aase A, Seehuus S, Kim Fondrk M, Norberg K, Hartfelder K. Social reversal of immunosenescence in honey bee workers. Exp Gerontol. 2005;40:939-47 pubmed..The results presented here, consequently, reveal a unique flexibility in honey bee immunity--a regulatory plasticity that may be of general biological interest. ..
- Tracey T. Levels of interpersonal complementarity: a simplex representation. Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2004;30:1211-25 pubmed..The complementarity-evaluation relation was mediated by base-rate-corrected complementarity. Implications relative to the operationalization of complementarity are discussed. ..
- Spinrad T, Eisenberg N, Harris E, Hanish L, Fabes R, Kupanoff K, et al. The relation of children's everyday nonsocial peer play behavior to their emotionality, regulation, and social functioning. Dev Psychol. 2004;40:67-80 pubmed
- Eisenberg N, Valiente C, Fabes R, Smith C, Reiser M, Shepard S, et al. The relations of effortful control and ego control to children's resiliency and social functioning. Dev Psychol. 2003;39:761-76 pubmed
- Amdam G. Social context, stress, and plasticity of aging. Aging Cell. 2011;10:18-27 pubmed publisher..This system provides intriguing opportunities for research on aging. ..
- Sallquist J, Didonato M, Hanish L, Martin C, Fabes R. The importance of mutual positive expressivity in social adjustment: understanding the role of peers and gender. Emotion. 2012;12:304-13 pubmed publisher..g., hyperactivity, disruption, exclusion by peers). Children's overall PE did not predict either type of adjustment. Findings support the importance of mutual PE for children's development. ..
- Gadau J, Helmkampf M, Nygaard S, Roux J, Simola D, Smith C, et al. The genomic impact of 100 million years of social evolution in seven ant species. Trends Genet. 2012;28:14-21 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these seven ant genomes open exciting new research avenues and opportunities for understanding the genetic basis and regulation of social species, and adaptive complex systems in general. ..
- Wang Y, Kaftanoglu O, Siegel A, Page R, Amdam G. Surgically increased ovarian mass in the honey bee confirms link between reproductive physiology and worker behavior. J Insect Physiol. 2010;56:1816-24 pubmed publisher..Our data establish that social insect worker behavior can be directly influenced by ovaries, and that HR46 expression changes with ovary size independent of vitellogenin. ..
- Janssen M, Holahan R, Lee A, Ostrom E. Lab experiments for the study of social-ecological systems. Science. 2010;328:613-7 pubmed publisher..These findings illustrate the importance of careful generalization from the laboratory to the world of policy. ..
- Wang Y, Amdam G, Rueppell O, Wallrichs M, Fondrk M, Kaftanoglu O, et al. PDK1 and HR46 gene homologs tie social behavior to ovary signals. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4899 pubmed publisher..Also, they outline how selection may have acted on gene networks that affect reproductive resource allocation and behavior to facilitate the evolution of social foraging in honey bees. ..
- Smith A, Hölldober B, Liebig J. Cuticular hydrocarbons reliably identify cheaters and allow enforcement of altruism in a social insect. Curr Biol. 2009;19:78-81 pubmed publisher..Cheaters are identified through information that is inherently reliable. ..
- Hanish L, Eisenberg N, Fabes R, Spinrad T, Ryan P, Schmidt S. The expression and regulation of negative emotions: risk factors for young children's peer victimization. Dev Psychopathol. 2004;16:335-53 pubmed..Support for internalizing variables as risk factors for being victimized was weak. The implications of the findings for developmental models connecting symptomatology and victimization are discussed. ..
- Zhou Q, Eisenberg N, Wang Y, Reiser M. Chinese children's effortful control and dispositional anger/frustration: relations to parenting styles and children's social functioning. Dev Psychol. 2004;40:352-66 pubmed..Effortful control weakly mediated the positive relation of authoritative parenting to social functioning. ..