Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on rats in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Locale: Tucson, Arizona, United States
Publications198 found, 100 shown here
- MacDonald P, Haussler C, Terpening C, Galligan M, Reeder M, Whitfield G, et al. Baculovirus-mediated expression of the human vitamin D receptor. Functional characterization, vitamin D response element interactions, and evidence for a receptor auxiliary factor. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:18808-13 pubmed..Therefore, these results show that the BEV system elicits high level expression of hVDR with critical functional characteristics being preserved. ..
- Johnson P, Dawson B, Goldberg S. A review: trichloroethylene metabolites: potential cardiac teratogens. Environ Health Perspect. 1998;106 Suppl 4:995-9 pubmed..Further studies of drinking-water exposure and potential mechanisms of action on the developing heart are proceeding. ..
- Purdom S, Chen Q. Epidermal growth factor receptor-dependent and -independent pathways in hydrogen peroxide-induced mitogen-activated protein kinase activation in cardiomyocytes and heart fibroblasts. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2005;312:1179-86 pubmed..In contrast, these MMP failed to significantly inhibit the activation of JNKs, ERKs, or p38 in CMCs. These data suggest the complexity of the cell type-dependent signaling web initiated by oxidants in the heart. ..
- Elliott S. Rat bite fever and Streptobacillus moniliformis. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2007;20:13-22 pubmed..The clinical and biological features of rat bite fever and Streptobacillus moniliformis are reviewed, providing some distinguishing features to assist the clinician and microbiologist in diagnosis...
- Strempel J, Grenningloh R, Ho I, Vercelli D. Phylogenetic and functional analysis identifies Ets-1 as a novel regulator of the Th2 cytokine gene locus. J Immunol. 2010;184:1309-16 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that Ets-1 contributes to Th2 cytokine gene regulation by interacting with multiple cis-regulatory regions throughout the Th2 locus. ..
- McCaffrey G, Staatz W, Sanchez Covarrubias L, Finch J, Demarco K, Laracuente M, et al. P-glycoprotein trafficking at the blood-brain barrier altered by peripheral inflammatory hyperalgesia. J Neurochem. 2012;122:962-75 pubmed publisher..These results are the first observation that peripheral inflammatory pain leads to specific structural changes in P-glycoprotein responsible for controlling analgesic drug delivery to the CNS. ..
- Bumanglag A, Sloviter R. Minimal latency to hippocampal epileptogenesis and clinical epilepsy after perforant pathway stimulation-induced status epilepticus in awake rats. J Comp Neurol. 2008;510:561-80 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that the latent period is directly related and inversely proportional to the extent of neuron loss in brain regions involved in seizure initiation, spread, and clinical expression. ..
- Yuan J, Pannabecker T. Architecture of inner medullary descending and ascending vasa recta: pathways for countercurrent exchange. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;299:F265-72 pubmed publisher..Countercurrent exchange between vasa recta occurs predominantly in the intercluster region. This architecture supports previous functional estimates of capillary fluid uptake in the renal IM. ..
- Reaves S, Wu J, Wu Y, Fanzo J, Wang Y, Lei P, et al. Regulation of intestinal apolipoprotein B mRNA editing levels by a zinc-deficient diet and cDNA cloning of editing protein in hamsters. J Nutr. 2000;130:2166-73 pubmed..Data derived from these studies contribute to the understanding of lipoprotein metabolism in hamsters, a suitable model for the study of atherosclerosis. ..
- Sloviter R, Ali Akbarian L, Horvath K, Menkens K. Substance P receptor expression by inhibitory interneurons of the rat hippocampus: enhanced detection using improved immunocytochemical methods for the preservation and colocalization of GABA and other neuronal markers. J Comp Neurol. 2001;430:283-305 pubmed
- Gardell L, Wang R, Burgess S, Ossipov M, Vanderah T, Malan T, et al. Sustained morphine exposure induces a spinal dynorphin-dependent enhancement of excitatory transmitter release from primary afferent fibers. J Neurosci. 2002;22:6747-55 pubmed..Enhanced transmitter release may allow increased stimulus-evoked spinal excitation, which is likely to be critical for opioid-induced paradoxical pain. Such pain may manifest behaviorally as antinociceptive tolerance. ..
- Collins J. Gene chip analyses reveal differential genetic responses to iron deficiency in rat duodenum and jejunum. Biol Res. 2006;39:25-37 pubmed
- Tatsuno M, Lipa P, McNaughton B. Methodological considerations on the use of template matching to study long-lasting memory trace replay. J Neurosci. 2006;26:10727-42 pubmed
- Luo Z, McMullen N, Costy Bennett S, Fregosi R. Prenatal nicotine exposure alters glycinergic and GABAergic control of respiratory frequency in the neonatal rat brainstem-spinal cord preparation. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2007;157:226-34 pubmed..6 s in nicotine-exposed (N=12) neonates (P<0.05). These data show that prenatal nicotine exposure alters development of central ventilatory control, and that neurons in the PBC region are involved. ..
- Xu H, Chen H, Dong J, Lynch R, Ghishan F. Gastrointestinal distribution and kinetic characterization of the sodium-hydrogen exchanger isoform 8 (NHE8). Cell Physiol Biochem. 2008;21:109-16 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our work suggests that NHE8 is expressed along the gastrointestinal tract and NHE8 is a functional Na(+)/H(+) exchanger with kinetic characteristics that differ from other apically expressed NHE isoforms. ..
- Muellenbach E, Diehl C, Teachey M, Lindborg K, Archuleta T, Harrell N, et al. Interactions of the advanced glycation end product inhibitor pyridoxamine and the antioxidant alpha-lipoic acid on insulin resistance in the obese Zucker rat. Metabolism. 2008;57:1465-72 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results document a beneficial interaction of the antioxidant R-ALA and the AGE inhibitor PM in the treatment of whole-body and skeletal muscle insulin resistance in obese Zucker rats. ..
- Asiedu M, Ossipov M, Kaila K, Price T. Acetazolamide and midazolam act synergistically to inhibit neuropathic pain. Pain. 2010;148:302-8 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the combined use of CA inhibitors and benzodiazepines may be effective in the clinical management of neuropathic pain in humans. ..
- Rad G, Hoehle S, Kuester R, Sipes I. In vitro glucuronidation of 2,2-bis(bromomethyl)-1,3-propanediol by microsomes and hepatocytes from rats and humans. Drug Metab Dispos. 2010;38:957-62 pubmed publisher..The poor glucuronidation capacity of humans for BMP suggests that the pharmacokinetic profile of BMP in humans will be dramatically different from that of rodents...
- Khailova L, Dvorak K, Arganbright K, Halpern M, Kinouchi T, Yajima M, et al. Bifidobacterium bifidum improves intestinal integrity in a rat model of necrotizing enterocolitis. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2009;297:G940-9 pubmed..bifidum protects against NEC in the neonatal rat model. This protective effect is associated with reduction of inflammatory reaction in the ileum, regulation of main components of mucus layer, and improvement of intestinal integrity...
- Hanlon K, Vanderah T. Constitutive activity at the cannabinoid CB(1) receptor and behavioral responses. Methods Enzymol. 2010;484:3-30 pubmed publisher..In this chapter, we review a small subset of techniques used in the pharmacological application of and the behavioral effects of molecules acting at the paradoxical cannabinoid receptor type 1. ..
- De Felice M, Sanoja R, Wang R, Vera Portocarrero L, Oyarzo J, King T, et al. Engagement of descending inhibition from the rostral ventromedial medulla protects against chronic neuropathic pain. Pain. 2011;152:2701-9 pubmed publisher..Engagement of descending inhibition protects in the transition from acute to chronic pain. These unexpected findings might provide a mechanistic explanation for medications that engage descending inhibition or mimic its consequences. ..
- Marshall T, Herman D, Largent Milnes T, Badghisi H, Zuber K, Holt S, et al. Activation of descending pain-facilitatory pathways from the rostral ventromedial medulla by cholecystokinin elicits release of prostaglandin-E? in the spinal cord. Pain. 2012;153:86-94 pubmed publisher..The present studies suggest that chronic nerve injury can result in activation of descending facilitatory mechanisms that may promote hyperalgesia via ultimate release of PGE? and 5-HT in the spinal cord. ..
- Briggs D, Giron R, Schnittker K, Hart M, Park C, Hausrath A, et al. Zinc enhances adiponectin oligomerization to octadecamers but decreases the rate of disulfide bond formation. Biometals. 2012;25:469-86 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that zinc stimulates oligomerization of HMW adiponectin and possibly other disulfide-dependent protein assembly processes. ..
- Astashkin A, Elmore B, Chen L, Fan W, Guillemette J, Feng C. Pulsed ENDOR determination of the arginine location in the ferrous-NO form of neuronal NOS. J Phys Chem A. 2012;116:6731-9 pubmed publisher..This is consistent with the previous reports that it is not the L-Arg substrate itself that would most likely serve as a direct proton donor to the diatomic ligands (NO and O(2)) bound to the heme...
- Aguilar D, Strom J, Xu B, Kappeler K, Chen Q. Expression of glucocorticoid-induced leucine zipper (GILZ) in cardiomyocytes. Cardiovasc Toxicol. 2013;13:91-9 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate GILZ induction in cardiomyocytes both in vivo and in vitro by GCs, pointing to H9c2(2-1) cells as a valid model for studying the biological function of GILZ in cardiomyocytes. ..
- Malan T, Ibrahim M, Deng H, Liu Q, Mata H, Vanderah T, et al. CB2 cannabinoid receptor-mediated peripheral antinociception. Pain. 2001;93:239-45 pubmed..Peripheral antinociception without CNS effects is consistent with the peripheral distribution of CB(2) receptors. CB(2) receptor agonists may have promise clinically for the treatment of pain without CNS cannabinoid side effects. ..
- Egleton R, Campos C, Huber J, Brown R, Davis T. Differential effects of diabetes on rat choroid plexus ion transporter expression. Diabetes. 2003;52:1496-501 pubmed..These changes in expression may affect choroid plexus ion balance and thus significantly affect CSF production in diabetic rats. ..
- Gardell L, Wang R, Ehrenfels C, Ossipov M, Rossomando A, Miller S, et al. Multiple actions of systemic artemin in experimental neuropathy. Nat Med. 2003;9:1383-9 pubmed..Our results indicate that the behavioral symptoms of neuropathic pain states can be treated successfully, and that partial to complete reversal of associated morphological and neurochemical changes is achievable with artemin. ..
- Zappone C, Sloviter R. Translamellar disinhibition in the rat hippocampal dentate gyrus after seizure-induced degeneration of vulnerable hilar neurons. J Neurosci. 2004;24:853-64 pubmed
- Thompson K, Bourguet S, Christian P, Benedict J, Sipes I, Flaws J, et al. Differences between rats and mice in the involvement of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor in 4-vinylcyclohexene diepoxide-induced ovarian follicle loss. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2005;203:114-23 pubmed..Whereas, AhR appears to be involved in rats, no evidence for a similar role in mice was obtained. Overall, these findings point out that there can be mechanistic species differences in ovarian responses to xenobiotic chemicals. ..
- Ramirez Amaya V, Vazdarjanova A, Mikhael D, Rosi S, Worley P, Barnes C. Spatial exploration-induced Arc mRNA and protein expression: evidence for selective, network-specific reactivation. J Neurosci. 2005;25:1761-8 pubmed..This is the first demonstration of network-selective translational events consequent to spatial behavior and suggests a role for immediate-early genes in circuit-specific, late-phase synaptic biology. ..
- Wu Y, Murányi A, Erdodi F, Hartshorne D. Localization of myosin phosphatase target subunit and its mutants. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2005;26:123-34 pubmed..Stable transfection of HEK 293 cells with GFP-MYPT1 was obtained. MYPT1 and its N-terminal mutants bound to retinoblastoma protein (Rb), raising the possibility that Rb is implicated in the effects caused by overexpression of MYPT1. ..
- Dokken B, Henriksen E. Chronic selective glycogen synthase kinase-3 inhibition enhances glucose disposal and muscle insulin action in prediabetic obese Zucker rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2006;291:E207-13 pubmed..These results provide further evidence that selective targeting of GSK-3 in muscle may be an effective intervention for the treatment of obesity-associated insulin resistance. ..
- Ek Vitorin J, King T, Heyman N, Lampe P, Burt J. Selectivity of connexin 43 channels is regulated through protein kinase C-dependent phosphorylation. Circ Res. 2006;98:1498-505 pubmed..Our data suggest that the selectivity of gap junction channels at intercalated disks is increased early in ischemia. ..
- Lai J, Luo M, Chen Q, Ma S, Gardell L, Ossipov M, et al. Dynorphin A activates bradykinin receptors to maintain neuropathic pain. Nat Neurosci. 2006;9:1534-40 pubmed..These data reveal a mechanism for endogenous dynorphin to promote pain through its agonist action at bradykinin receptors and suggest new avenues for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Vera Portocarrero L, Zhang E, King T, Ossipov M, Vanderah T, Lai J, et al. Spinal NK-1 receptor expressing neurons mediate opioid-induced hyperalgesia and antinociceptive tolerance via activation of descending pathways. Pain. 2007;129:35-45 pubmed..The data may provide a basis for understanding mechanisms of prolonged pain which can occur in the absence of tissue injury. ..
- Kirkpatrick N, Andreou S, Hoying J, Utzinger U. Live imaging of collagen remodeling during angiogenesis. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;292:H3198-206 pubmed..This imaging approach to assess local changes in matrix organization may have a broader impact on tissue biology and mechanics during angiogenesis and allow for new insights in cardiovascular, diabetes, and cancer research. ..
- Merrell M, Augustine L, Slitt A, Cherrington N. Induction of drug metabolism enzymes and transporters by oltipraz in rats. J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 2008;22:128-35 pubmed publisher..In summary, OPZ coordinately increases multiple hepatic xenobiotic transporter mRNA levels, along with Phase-I and -II enzymes some of which may occur through CAR-dependent mechanisms. ..
- Lau S, Kuhlman C, Bratton S, Monks T. Role of hydroquinone-thiol conjugates in benzene-mediated toxicity. Chem Biol Interact. 2010;184:212-7 pubmed publisher..Identification of these adducts is required before the functional significance of such protein modifications can be determined. ..
- Yan J, Edelmayer R, Wei X, De Felice M, Porreca F, Dussor G. Dural afferents express acid-sensing ion channels: a role for decreased meningeal pH in migraine headache. Pain. 2011;152:106-13 pubmed publisher..These data provide a cellular mechanism by which decreased pH in the meninges following ischemic or inflammatory events directly excites afferent pain-sensing neurons potentially contributing to migraine headache. ..
- Cohen J, Gard J, Nagle R, Dietrich J, Monks T, Lau S. ERK crosstalks with 4EBP1 to activate cyclin D1 translation during quinol-thioether-induced tuberous sclerosis renal cell carcinoma. Toxicol Sci. 2011;124:75-87 pubmed publisher..The data indicate that Raf-1/MEK/ERK participates in crosstalk with 4EBP1, which represents a novel pathway interaction leading to increased protein synthesis, cell growth, and kidney tumor formation. ..
- Deekonda S, Cole J, Sunna S, Rankin D, Largent Milnes T, Davis P, et al. Enkephalin analogues with N-phenyl-N-(piperidin-2-ylmethyl)propionamide derivatives: Synthesis and biological evaluations. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2016;26:222-7 pubmed publisher..e. engaging signalling pathways); (iv) pharmacokinetics (i.e. metabolic stability). In summary, our data suggest that further optimisation of this compound 17 is required to enhance intrinsic antinociceptive efficacy. ..
- Cohen Z, Gonzales R, Davis Gorman G, Copeland J, McDonagh P. Thrombin activity and platelet microparticle formation are increased in type 2 diabetic platelets: a potential correlation with caspase activation. Thromb Res. 2002;107:217-21 pubmed
- Augustine L, Markelewicz R, Boekelheide K, Cherrington N. Xenobiotic and endobiotic transporter mRNA expression in the blood-testis barrier. Drug Metab Dispos. 2005;33:182-9 pubmed
- Murányi A, Derkach D, Erdodi F, Kiss A, Ito M, Hartshorne D. Phosphorylation of Thr695 and Thr850 on the myosin phosphatase target subunit: inhibitory effects and occurrence in A7r5 cells. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:6611-5 pubmed..Phosphorylation of each site on MYPT1 was detected in A7r5 cells, but Thr850 was preferred by Rho-kinase and Thr695 was phosphorylated by an unidentified kinase(s). ..
- Wei Y, Sowers J, Clark S, Li W, Ferrario C, Stump C. Angiotensin II-induced skeletal muscle insulin resistance mediated by NF-kappaB activation via NADPH oxidase. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2008;294:E345-51 pubmed..These findings suggest that NF-kappaB plays an important role in ANG II/ROS-induced skeletal muscle insulin resistance. ..
- Shook J, Burks T. Psychoactive cannabinoids reduce gastrointestinal propulsion and motility in rodents. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1989;249:444-9 pubmed..These data indicate that delta 9-THC, delta 9,11-THC, cannabinol and nabilone (but not cannabidiol) exert an inhibitory effect on GI transit and motility in rats. ..
- Lind R, Gandolfi A. Hepatoprotection by dimethyl sulfoxide. I. Protection when given twenty-four hours after chloroform or bromobenzene. Toxicol Pathol. 1999;27:342-7 pubmed..The ability of DMSO to intervene in the development of liver injury at such a late time appears to be unique and may provide insight into therapies for acute xenobiotic-induced hepatitis. ..
- Xu H, Collins J, Bai L, Kiela P, Ghishan F. Regulation of the human sodium-phosphate cotransporter NaP(i)-IIb gene promoter by epidermal growth factor. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2001;280:C628-36 pubmed..We conclude that the human NaP(i)-IIb gene promoter is functional in Caco-2 and A549 cells and that the gene is responsive to EGF by a transcriptionally mediated mechanism in intestinal cells...
- Hu X, Flaws J, Sipes I, Hoyer P. Activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases and AP-1 transcription factor in ovotoxicity induced by 4-vinylcyclohexene diepoxide in rats. Biol Reprod. 2002;67:718-24 pubmed..Taken together, these data provide evidence that accelerated atretic signals induced by VCD is associated with MAPK/AP-1 signaling pathways and phosphorylation of c-Jun plays a significant role in transmitting the apoptotic signals. ..
- Funk J, Migliati E, Chen G, Wei H, Wilson J, Downey K, et al. Parathyroid hormone-related protein induction in focal stroke: a neuroprotective vascular peptide. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2003;284:R1021-30 pubmed..In summary, PTHrP expression increases at sites of ischemic brain injury in the cerebrovasculature. This local increase in PTHrP could be an adaptive response that enhances blood flow to the ischemic brain, thus limiting cell injury. ..
- Wenk G, McGann Gramling K, Hauss Wegrzyniak B, Ronchetti D, Maucci R, Rosi S, et al. Attenuation of chronic neuroinflammation by a nitric oxide-releasing derivative of the antioxidant ferulic acid. J Neurochem. 2004;89:484-93 pubmed
- Bailey E, Huang Y, Fregosi R. Anatomic consequences of intrinsic tongue muscle activation. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2006;101:1377-85 pubmed..These findings support our working hypothesis that intrinsic tongue muscles play a critical role in modulating upper airway patency. ..
- Marchalant Y, Rosi S, Wenk G. Anti-inflammatory property of the cannabinoid agonist WIN-55212-2 in a rodent model of chronic brain inflammation. Neuroscience. 2007;144:1516-22 pubmed
- Dokken B, Saengsirisuwan V, Kim J, Teachey M, Henriksen E. Oxidative stress-induced insulin resistance in rat skeletal muscle: role of glycogen synthase kinase-3. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2008;294:E615-21 pubmed..Moreover, a small, but significant, portion of this oxidative stress-induced insulin resistance is associated with a reduced insulin-mediated suppression of the active form of GSK-3beta. ..
- Pappas C, Bhattacharya N, Cooper J, Gregorio C. Nebulin interacts with CapZ and regulates thin filament architecture within the Z-disc. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1837-47 pubmed publisher..We propose a novel molecular model of Z-disc architecture in which nebulin interacts with CapZ from a thin filament of an adjacent sarcomere, thus providing a structural link between sarcomeres. ..
- Kitt K, Hernandez Deviez D, Ballantyne S, Spiliotis E, Casanova J, Wilson J. Rab14 regulates apical targeting in polarized epithelial cells. Traffic. 2008;9:1218-31 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Rab14 specifically regulates delivery of cargo from the TGN to the apical domain. ..
- Moran C, Garriock R, Miller M, Heimark R, Gregorio C, Krieg P. Expression of the fast twitch troponin complex, fTnT, fTnI and fTnC, in vascular smooth muscle. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2008;65:652-61 pubmed publisher..These observations raise the possibility that troponins play a role in regulation of smooth muscle function. ..
- Sun H, Xu B, Sheveleva E, Chen Q. LY294002 inhibits glucocorticoid-induced COX-2 gene expression in cardiomyocytes through a phosphatidylinositol 3 kinase-independent mechanism. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2008;232:25-32 pubmed publisher..CT was found to increase intracellular Ca(2+) concentration, which can be inhibited by LY29, TEA or nimodipine. These data suggest a possible role of calcium instead of PI3K in CT-induced COX-2 expression in cardiomyocytes. ..
- Xie L, Terrand J, Xu B, Tsaprailis G, Boyer J, Chen Q. Cystatin C increases in cardiac injury: a role in extracellular matrix protein modulation. Cardiovasc Res. 2010;87:628-35 pubmed publisher..Oxidants induce elevated cystatin C production from CMCs. Cystatin C plays a role in cardiac extracellular matrix remodelling. ..
- Tsukada T, Kotlyanskaya L, Huynh R, Desai B, Novak S, Kajava A, et al. Identification of residues within tropomodulin-1 responsible for its localization at the pointed ends of the actin filaments in cardiac myocytes. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:2194-204 pubmed publisher..Studying the influence of these mutations individually, we concluded that, in addition to the tropomyosin-independent actin-capping site, there appears to be another regulatory site within the tropomodulin C-terminal domain. ..
- Li Q, Martinez J. P53 is transported into the nucleus via an Hsf1-dependent nuclear localization mechanism. Mol Carcinog. 2011;50:143-52 pubmed publisher..Hence, loss of Hsf1 activity not only suppressed p53 function, but also led to reduced sensitivity to killing by drugs that target microtubules. ..
- Stagg N, Mata H, Ibrahim M, Henriksen E, Porreca F, Vanderah T, et al. Regular exercise reverses sensory hypersensitivity in a rat neuropathic pain model: role of endogenous opioids. Anesthesiology. 2011;114:940-8 pubmed publisher..Exercise effects were reversed by opioid receptor antagonists. These results suggest that exercise-induced reversal of neuropathic pain results from an up-regulation of endogenous opioids. ..
- Lochhead J, McCaffrey G, Sanchez Covarrubias L, Finch J, Demarco K, Quigley C, et al. Tempol modulates changes in xenobiotic permeability and occludin oligomeric assemblies at the blood-brain barrier during inflammatory pain. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012;302:H582-93 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data show for the first time that ROS pharmacological scavenging is a viable approach for maintaining BBB integrity and controlling central nervous system drug delivery during acute inflammatory pain. ..
- Mahadevan D, Northfelt D, Chalasani P, Rensvold D, Kurtin S, Von Hoff D, et al. Phase I trial of UNBS5162, a novel naphthalimide in patients with advanced solid tumors or lymphoma. Int J Clin Oncol. 2013;18:934-41 pubmed publisher..The MTD or dose-limiting toxicity for UNBS5162 was not reached due to the magnitude of QTc prolongation at the highest dose of 234 mg/m(2)/week that led to study termination. ..
- Hartzell A, Burke S, Hoang L, Lister J, Rodriguez C, Barnes C. Transcription of the immediate-early gene Arc in CA1 of the hippocampus reveals activity differences along the proximodistal axis that are attenuated by advanced age. J Neurosci. 2013;33:3424-33 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest that distal and proximal CA1 may be functionally distinct and differentially vulnerable to normative aging processes. ..
- Rance N, Dacks P, Mittelman Smith M, Romanovsky A, Krajewski Hall S. Modulation of body temperature and LH secretion by hypothalamic KNDy (kisspeptin, neurokinin B and dynorphin) neurons: a novel hypothesis on the mechanism of hot flushes. Front Neuroendocrinol. 2013;34:211-27 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that arcuate KNDy neurons relay estrogen signals to preoptic structures regulating heat-dissipation effectors, supporting the hypothesis that KNDy neurons participate in the generation of flushes. ..
- Flann K, Rathbone C, Cole L, Liu X, Allen R, Rhoads R. Hypoxia simultaneously alters satellite cell-mediated angiogenesis and hepatocyte growth factor expression. J Cell Physiol. 2014;229:572-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this data indicates that hypoxic modulation of satellite cell-mediated angiogenesis involves a reduction in satellite cell HGF expression. ..
- Wu J, Reaves S, Wang Y, Wu Y, Lei P, Lei K. Zinc deficiency decreases plasma level and hepatic mRNA abundance of apolipoprotein A-I in rats and hamsters. Am J Physiol. 1998;275:C1516-25 pubmed..Data from this study demonstrated that Zn deficiency specifically decreases hepatic apoA-I gene expression, which may at least be partly responsible for the reduction of plasma apoA-I levels...
- Whitacre D, Chauhan S, Davis T, Gordon D, Cress A, Miesfeld R. Androgen induction of in vitro prostate cell differentiation. Cell Growth Differ. 2002;13:1-11 pubmed..These expression profile data are consistent with the striking morphological changes we observed in DHT-treated CA25 cells and provide a starting point for molecular analysis of in vitro prostate cell differentiation. ..
- Sun H, Sheveleva E, Xu B, Inoue H, Bowden T, Chen Q. Corticosteroids induce COX-2 expression in cardiomyocytes: role of glucocorticoid receptor and C/EBP-beta. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;295:C915-22 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the interaction between GR and C/EBP-beta contributes to elevated COX-2 gene transcription by CT in cardiomyocytes. ..
- Aguilar D, Strom J, Chen Q. Glucocorticoid induced leucine zipper inhibits apoptosis of cardiomyocytes by doxorubicin. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2014;276:55-62 pubmed publisher..Since siRNA against Bcl-xL reverses GC induced cytoprotection, Bcl-xL induction represents an important event in GILZ-induced cytoprotection. Our data suggest that GILZ functions as a cytoprotective gene in cardiomyocytes. ..
- Briehl M, Miesfeld R. Isolation and characterization of transcripts induced by androgen withdrawal and apoptotic cell death in the rat ventral prostate. Mol Endocrinol. 1991;5:1381-8 pubmed..These data may suggest that induction of some genes, such as RVP.1, could be associated with apoptosis, whereas other transcripts, such as GST, may be up-regulated in response to altered rates of cellular metabolism. ..
- Wenk G, Zajaczkowski W, Danysz W. Neuroprotection of acetylcholinergic basal forebrain neurons by memantine and neurokinin B. Behav Brain Res. 1997;83:129-33 pubmed..Thus, memantine infusion at low doses leading to steady-state serum levels within a therapeutic range provides both neuroprotection and cognitive enhancement-an optimal combination for the treatment of neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Hauss Wegrzyniak B, Lynch M, Vraniak P, Wenk G. Chronic brain inflammation results in cell loss in the entorhinal cortex and impaired LTP in perforant path-granule cell synapses. Exp Neurol. 2002;176:336-41 pubmed..Similar changes may underlie the temporal lobe pathology and dementia associated with AD. ..
- Chvapil M. Inhibition of breast adenocarcinoma growth by intratumoral injection of lipophilic long-acting lathyrogens. Anticancer Drugs. 2005;16:201-10 pubmed..This paper reviews our studies with a single intratumoral injection of lipophilic lathyrogens and others, using a systemic administration to investigate the effect of both lathyrogens. Details of our experimental results are also given. ..
- Brooks T, Hawkins B, Huber J, Egleton R, Davis T. Chronic inflammatory pain leads to increased blood-brain barrier permeability and tight junction protein alterations. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005;289:H738-43 pubmed..This study demonstrates that during chronic inflammatory pain, alterations in BBB function are associated with changes in specific transmembrane TJ proteins. ..
- Fleegal M, Hom S, Borg L, Davis T. Activation of PKC modulates blood-brain barrier endothelial cell permeability changes induced by hypoxia and posthypoxic reoxygenation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005;289:H2012-9 pubmed..These data demonstrate that hypoxia-induced BBB paracellular permeability changes occur via a PKC-dependent mechanism, possibly by differentially regulating the protein expression of the 11 PKC isozymes. ..
- Hawkins B, Lundeen T, Norwood K, Brooks H, Egleton R. Increased blood-brain barrier permeability and altered tight junctions in experimental diabetes in the rat: contribution of hyperglycaemia and matrix metalloproteinases. Diabetologia. 2007;50:202-11 pubmed..Peripheral MMP activity may present a novel target for protection of the BBB and prevention of neurological complications in diabetes. ..
- Dedeoglu A, Fisher L. Central and peripheral injections of the 5-HT2 agonist, 1-(2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenyl)-2-aminopropane, modify cardiovascular function through different mechanisms. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1991;259:1027-34 pubmed..The pressor response to i.c.v. administration of DOI resulted from a combination of vasopressin release, modulation of autonomic nervous outflow and some leakage into the periphery...
- Chapman M, Qu N, Pascoe S, Chen W, Apostol C, Gordon D, et al. Isolation of differentially expressed sequence tags from steroid-responsive cells using mRNA differential display. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1995;108:R1-7 pubmed
- Mendias C, Tatsumi R, Allen R. Role of cyclooxygenase-1 and -2 in satellite cell proliferation, differentiation, and fusion. Muscle Nerve. 2004;30:497-500 pubmed..The use of a selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor over nonspecific cyclooxygenase inhibitors in the treatment of muscle injuries is not supported. ..
- Khailova L, Mount Patrick S, Arganbright K, Halpern M, Kinouchi T, Dvorak B. Bifidobacterium bifidum reduces apoptosis in the intestinal epithelium in necrotizing enterocolitis. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2010;299:G1118-27 pubmed publisher..bifidum to downregulate apoptosis in the rat NEC model and in IEC-6 cells by a COX-2-dependent matter and suggests a molecular mechanism by which this probiotic reduces mucosal injury and preserves intestinal integrity. ..
- Cohen J, Tham K, Mastrandrea N, Gallegos A, Monks T, Lau S. cAMP-dependent cytosolic mislocalization of p27(kip)-cyclin D1 during quinol-thioether-induced tuberous sclerosis renal cell carcinoma. Toxicol Sci. 2011;122:361-71 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the loss of tuberin and engagement of the cAMP pathway may independently direct p27-cyclin D1 cytosolic stabilization during renal tumor formation...
- Halpern M, Holubec H, Dominguez J, Williams C, Meza Y, McWilliam D, et al. Up-regulation of IL-18 and IL-12 in the ileum of neonatal rats with necrotizing enterocolitis. Pediatr Res. 2002;51:733-9 pubmed..These data demonstrate up-regulation of IL-18 and IL-12 in experimental NEC and a correlation between production of these proinflammatory cytokines and progression of tissue damage. ..
- Rosi S, Pert C, Ruff M, McGann Gramling K, Wenk G. Chemokine receptor 5 antagonist D-Ala-peptide T-amide reduces microglia and astrocyte activation within the hippocampus in a neuroinflammatory rat model of Alzheimer's disease. Neuroscience. 2005;134:671-6 pubmed..The present study suggests that DAPTA and other CCR5 antagonists may attenuate critical aspects of the neuroinflammation associated with Alzheimer's disease. ..