Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on bacteria in Tempe, Arizona, United States
Locale: Tempe, Arizona, United States
- Raymond J, Zhaxybayeva O, Gogarten J, Gerdes S, Blankenship R. Whole-genome analysis of photosynthetic prokaryotes. Science. 2002;298:1616-20 pubmed..Our results explain incoherencies in previous data-limited phylogenetic analyses of phototrophic bacteria and indicate that the core components of photosynthesis have been subject to lateral transfer. ..
- McManus J, Brune D, Han J, Sanders Loehr J, Meyer T, Cusanovich M, et al. Isolation, characterization, and amino acid sequences of auracyanins, blue copper proteins from the green photosynthetic bacterium Chloroflexus aurantiacus. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:6531-40 pubmed..Kinetic data indicate that all three proteins can donate electrons to cytochrome c-554, the electron donor to the photosynthetic reaction center...
- Torres C, Marcus A, Lee H, Parameswaran P, Krajmalnik Brown R, Rittmann B. A kinetic perspective on extracellular electron transfer by anode-respiring bacteria. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2010;34:3-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, a study of the biological components that create a solid conductive matrix is of critical importance for understanding the function of ARB. ..
- Zhang H, Parameswaran P, Badalamenti J, Rittmann B, Krajmalnik Brown R. Integrating high-throughput pyrosequencing and quantitative real-time PCR to analyze complex microbial communities. Methods Mol Biol. 2011;733:107-28 pubmed publisher..Finally, we supply detailed methods for generating PCR amplicon libraries for pyrosequencing, pyrosequencing data analysis, QPCR methodology, instrumentation, and automation. ..
- Liu J, Wu Y, Wu C, Muylaert K, Vyverman W, Yu H, et al. Advanced nutrient removal from surface water by a consortium of attached microalgae and bacteria: A review. Bioresour Technol. 2017;241:1127-1137 pubmed publisher..Future research should focus on the selection and engineering of robust microbial species, mathematical modelling of the composition and functionality of the consortium, and novel photobioreactor configurations. ..
- Gao Y, Ryu H, Rittmann B, Hussain A, Lee H. Quantification of the methane concentration using anaerobic oxidation of methane coupled to extracellular electron transfer. Bioresour Technol. 2017;241:979-984 pubmed publisher..97% (R2?0.99) when the measurement was sustained for at least 50min Thus, cumulative coulombs over 50min could be used to quantify the methane concentration in gas samples. ..
- Boltz J, Smets B, Rittmann B, Van Loosdrecht M, Morgenroth E, Daigger G. From biofilm ecology to reactors: a focused review. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:1753-1760 pubmed publisher..Biofilm models have become essential tools for fundamental biofilm research and biofilm reactor engineering and design. At the same time, the divergence between biofilm modeling and biofilm reactor modeling approaches is recognized. ..
- Sosa HernÃ¡ndez O, Popat S, Parameswaran P, AlemÃ¡n Nava G, Torres C, BuitrÃ³n G, et al. Application of microbial electrolysis cells to treat spent yeast from an alcoholic fermentation. Bioresour Technol. 2016;200:342-9 pubmed publisher..0Â±31.3A/m(3)) and hydrogen production (2.18Â±0.66 [Formula: see text] ) but with lower efficiencies (87Â±2% COD RE, 71.0Â±.4% CE). Future work should focus on electron sinks, acclimation and optimizing SY breakdown. ..
- Wu J, Gao W, Johnson R, Zhang W, Meldrum D. Integrated metagenomic and metatranscriptomic analyses of microbial communities in the meso- and bathypelagic realm of north pacific ocean. Mar Drugs. 2013;11:3777-801 pubmed publisher..RNA/DNA ratio was employed as an index to show metabolic activity strength of microbes in deep sea. Functional analysis indicated that deep-sea microbes are leading a defensive lifestyle. ..
- Ontiveros Valencia A, Ilhan Z, Kang D, Rittmann B, Krajmalnik Brown R. Phylogenetic analysis of nitrate- and sulfate-reducing bacteria in a hydrogen-fed biofilm. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2013;85:158-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, the biofilm community in a H?-fed biofilm with DB and SRB became more heterotrophic when the H? availability was constrained, while low NO?? loading allowed more SO?²? reduction, causing a shift to more SRB. ..
- Chow K, Wang X, Curtiss R, Castillo Chavez C. Evaluating the efficacy of antimicrobial cycling programmes and patient isolation on dual resistance in hospitals. J Biol Dyn. 2011;5:27-43 pubmed publisher..We hope that this paper serves to instigate discussion on the many dimensions of the complex problem of drug resistance in hospital settings. ..
- Torres C, Krajmalnik Brown R, Parameswaran P, Marcus A, Wanger G, Gorby Y, et al. Selecting anode-respiring bacteria based on anode potential: phylogenetic, electrochemical, and microscopic characterization. Environ Sci Technol. 2009;43:9519-24 pubmed publisher..Continuous-flow operation and the selective pressure due to low anode potentials selected for G. sulfurreducens, which are known to consume acetate efficiently and use a solid conductive matrix for electron transport...
- Torres C, Marcus A, Rittmann B. Kinetics of consumption of fermentation products by anode-respiring bacteria. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2007;77:689-97 pubmed..When we provided no electron donor, we measured current due to endogenous decay of biomass (approximately 0.07 A/m(2)) and an open-cell potential (-0.54 V vs Ag/AgCl) associated with biomass components active in endogenous respiration...