Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Locale: Tucson, Arizona, United States
Publications389 found, 100 shown here
- Odens L, Burgos R, Innocenti M, Vanbaale M, Baumgard L. Effects of varying doses of supplemental conjugated linoleic acid on production and energetic variables during the transition period. J Dairy Sci. 2007;90:293-305 pubmed..A dietary supplement containing trans-10, cis-12 CLA markedly improves EBAL and bioenergetic variables and increases milk yield in the total mixed ration-fed transitioning dairy cow. ..
- Camou J, Marchello J, Thompson V, Mares S, Goll D. Effect of postmortem storage on activity of mu- and m-calpain in five bovine muscles. J Anim Sci. 2007;85:2670-81 pubmed..Because neither mu- nor m-calpain is proteolytically active at pH 5.8 after being incubated at pH 5.8 for 24 h, other proteolytic systems such as the caspases may contribute to postmortem proteolysis in addition to the calpains. ..
- Cabello C, Bair W, Bause A, Wondrak G. Antimelanoma activity of the redox dye DCPIP (2,6-dichlorophenolindophenol) is antagonized by NQO1. Biochem Pharmacol. 2009;78:344-54 pubmed publisher..Systemic administration of DCPIP displayed significant antimelanoma activity in the A375 murine xenograft model. These findings suggest feasibility of targeting tumors that display low NQO1 enzymatic activity using DCPIP. ..
- Jaramillo M, Frye J, Crapo J, Briehl M, Tome M. Increased manganese superoxide dismutase expression or treatment with manganese porphyrin potentiates dexamethasone-induced apoptosis in lymphoma cells. Cancer Res. 2009;69:5450-7 pubmed publisher..The profile of MnTE-2-PyP(5+) effects suggests MnTE-2-PyP(5+) has potential for use in hematologic malignancies that are treated with glucocorticoids, cyclophosphamide, and doxorubicin. ..
- Qu C, King T, Okun A, Lai J, Fields H, Porreca F. Lesion of the rostral anterior cingulate cortex eliminates the aversiveness of spontaneous neuropathic pain following partial or complete axotomy. Pain. 2011;152:1641-8 pubmed publisher..Identification of the circuits mediating aversiveness of chronic pain should facilitate the development of improved therapies. ..
- Herrier R. Advances in the treatment of moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2011;68:795-806 pubmed publisher..Though costly to use, biological agents offer considerable advantages over previously available systemic therapies. ..
- Kendall T, Mukai L, Jannuzi A, Bunch T. Identification of integrin beta subunit mutations that alter affinity for extracellular matrix ligand. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:30981-93 pubmed publisher..Additionally, these genetic interactions report on increased and decreased integrin functions that do not result in affinity changes in the PS2C integrin measured in cultured cells. ..
- Anderson K, Russell J, Moreau C, Kautz S, Sullam K, Hu Y, et al. Highly similar microbial communities are shared among related and trophically similar ant species. Mol Ecol. 2012;21:2282-96 pubmed publisher..These trends hint at coevolved histories between ants and microbes, suggesting new possibilities for roles of bacteria in the evolution of both herbivores and carnivores from the ant family Formicidae. ..
- Rounds L, Havens C, Feinstein Y, Friedman M, Ravishankar S. Concentration-dependent inhibition of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and heterocyclic amines in heated ground beef patties by apple and olive extracts, onion powder and clove bud oil. Meat Sci. 2013;94:461-7 pubmed publisher..6 and 65.2%, respectively. Onion powder reduced MeIQx and PhIP by 47 and 80.7%, respectively. Inactivation of E. coli O157:H7 and suppression of HCAs in grilled meat were achieved by optimized amounts of selected plant compounds. ..
- Isoe J, Scaraffia P. Urea synthesis and excretion in Aedes aegypti mosquitoes are regulated by a unique cross-talk mechanism. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65393 pubmed publisher..This process allows blood-fed mosquitoes to regulate the synthesis and/or excretion of nitrogen waste products, and avoid toxic effects that could result from a lethal concentration of ammonia in their tissues. ..
- Newton J, Cohen Barak O, Hagiwara N, Gardner J, Davisson M, King R, et al. Mutations in the human orthologue of the mouse underwhite gene (uw) underlie a new form of oculocutaneous albinism, OCA4. Am J Hum Genet. 2001;69:981-8 pubmed..quot; The encoded protein, MATP (for "membrane-associated transporter protein") is predicted to span the membrane 12 times and likely functions as a transporter. ..
- McElhinny A, Kakinuma K, Sorimachi H, Labeit S, Gregorio C. Muscle-specific RING finger-1 interacts with titin to regulate sarcomeric M-line and thick filament structure and may have nuclear functions via its interaction with glucocorticoid modulatory element binding protein-1. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:125-36 pubmed..The dual interactions of MURF-1 with titin and GMEB-1 may link myofibril signaling pathways (perhaps including titin's kinase domain) with muscle gene expression. ..
- Sinakevitch I, Niwa M, Strausfeld N. Octopamine-like immunoreactivity in the honey bee and cockroach: comparable organization in the brain and subesophageal ganglion. J Comp Neurol. 2005;488:233-54 pubmed publisher..The present observations are discussed with respect to possible roles of octopamine in sensory integration and association...
- Moran N, McCutcheon J, Nakabachi A. Genomics and evolution of heritable bacterial symbionts. Annu Rev Genet. 2008;42:165-90 pubmed publisher..In addition, insect symbionts provide some of the extremes of cellular genomes, including the smallest and the fastest evolving, raising new questions about the limits of evolution of life. ..
- Munger S, Geng X, Srinivasan R, Witte M, Paul D, Simon A. Segregated Foxc2, NFATc1 and Connexin expression at normal developing venous valves, and Connexin-specific differences in the valve phenotypes of Cx37, Cx43, and Cx47 knockout mice. Dev Biol. 2016;412:173-90 pubmed publisher..The partition of Foxc2 and NFATc1 expression at VV leaflets makes it unlikely that these factors directly cooperate during the leaflet elongation stage of VV development. ..
- Knapp R, Malatynska E, Fang L, Li X, Babin E, Nguyen M, et al. Identification of a human delta opioid receptor: cloning and expression. Life Sci. 1994;54:PL463-9 pubmed..The 8-fold higher affinity of NTB relative to BNTX suggests that the human delta receptor is of the delta 2 subtype. ..
- Klewer S, Krob S, Kolker S, Kitten G. Expression of type VI collagen in the developing mouse heart. Dev Dyn. 1998;211:248-55 pubmed
- Bard J, Yamazaki K, Curran M, Boyse E, Beauchamp G. Effect of B2m gene disruption on MHC-determined odortypes. Immunogenetics. 2000;51:514-8 pubmed..This odortype disparity appears at 9-12 days of gestational age, the period in which the MHC is first detectable in fetal cells of normal mice. ..
- Wang Z, Gardell L, Ossipov M, Vanderah T, Brennan M, Hochgeschwender U, et al. Pronociceptive actions of dynorphin maintain chronic neuropathic pain. J Neurosci. 2001;21:1779-86 pubmed..Identification of mechanisms that maintain neuropathic pain appears important for strategies to treat neuropathic pain. ..
- Bai L, Xu H, Collins J, Ghishan F. Molecular and functional analysis of a novel neuronal vesicular glutamate transporter. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:36764-9 pubmed..The presence of VGLUT2 in brain regions lacking VGLUT1 suggests that the two isoforms together play an important role in vesicular glutamate transport in glutamatergic neurons. ..
- Yool A, Weinstein A. New roles for old holes: ion channel function in aquaporin-1. News Physiol Sci. 2002;17:68-72 pubmed..Intriguing links exist in structural and functional properties between aquaporins and ion channels. A novel role for aquaporin-1 as a gated ion channel reshapes our current views of this ancient family of transmembrane channel proteins. ..
- Dantzler W. Renal organic anion transport: a comparative and cellular perspective. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1566:169-81 pubmed..g., bradykinin) and the autonomic nervous system acting via protein kinase C (PKC) pathways and epidermal growth factor (EGF) working via the mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) pathway. ..
- Falk T, Kilani R, Strazdas L, Borders R, Steidl J, Yool A, et al. Developmental regulation of the A-type potassium-channel current in hippocampal neurons: role of the Kvbeta 1.1 subunit. Neuroscience. 2003;120:387-404 pubmed..1 is capable of decreasing the electrical excitability of post-mitotic hippocampal neurons, suggesting this approach has applicability to gene therapy of neurological diseases associated with hyperexcitability. ..
- Saunders M, Slatkin M, Garner C, Hammer M, Nachman M. The extent of linkage disequilibrium caused by selection on G6PD in humans. Genetics. 2005;171:1219-29 pubmed..1 < s < 0.2). These results also show that selection can lead to nonrandom associations among SNPs over great physical and genetic distances, even in African populations. ..
- Peyman G, Kivilcim M, Morales A, Dellacroce J, Conway M. Inhibition of corneal angiogenesis by ascorbic acid in the rat model. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2007;245:1461-7 pubmed..At concentrations below 500 microg/ml there was no statistically significant inhibition in the degree of corneal neovascularization compared to control. ..
- Luo Z, McMullen N, Costy Bennett S, Fregosi R. Prenatal nicotine exposure alters glycinergic and GABAergic control of respiratory frequency in the neonatal rat brainstem-spinal cord preparation. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2007;157:226-34 pubmed..6 s in nicotine-exposed (N=12) neonates (P<0.05). These data show that prenatal nicotine exposure alters development of central ventilatory control, and that neurons in the PBC region are involved. ..
- Marussich W, Machado C. Host-specificity and coevolution among pollinating and nonpollinating New World fig wasps. Mol Ecol. 2007;16:1925-46 pubmed
- Masel J, Siegal M. Robustness: mechanisms and consequences. Trends Genet. 2009;25:395-403 pubmed publisher..The identification and characterization of phenotypic capacitors - which act as switches of the degree of robustness - are critical to understanding the mechanisms and consequences of robustness. ..
- Lei H, Reisenman C, Wilson C, Gabbur P, Hildebrand J. Spiking patterns and their functional implications in the antennal lobe of the tobacco hornworm Manduca sexta. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23382 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that neuronal burstiness reflects a physiological state of these neurons that is directly linked to their response characteristics. ..
- Jimenez Andrade J, Ghilardi J, Castañeda Corral G, Kuskowski M, Mantyh P. Preventive or late administration of anti-NGF therapy attenuates tumor-induced nerve sprouting, neuroma formation, and cancer pain. Pain. 2011;152:2564-74 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that preemptive or late-stage blockade of NGF/TrkA can attenuate nerve sprouting and cancer pain...
- Barron Gafford G, Rascher U, Bronstein J, Davidowitz G, Chaszar B, Huxman T. Herbivory of wild Manduca sexta causes fast down-regulation of photosynthetic efficiency in Datura wrightii: an early signaling cascade visualized by chlorophyll fluorescence. Photosynth Res. 2012;113:249-60 pubmed publisher
- ..This study opens the door to exploring adaptive radiations from a novel host-parasite perspective. ..
- Kraft R, Kahn A, Medina Franco J, Orlowski M, Baynes C, López Vallejo F, et al. A cell-based fascin bioassay identifies compounds with potential anti-metastasis or cognition-enhancing functions. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:217-35 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we propose that, given an appropriate assay for target-pathway function, bidirectional screening for brain-development disorders and invasive cancers represents an efficient, multipurpose strategy for drug discovery. ..
- Sherwood C, Lantz R, Boitano S. Chronic arsenic exposure in nanomolar concentrations compromises wound response and intercellular signaling in airway epithelial cells. Toxicol Sci. 2013;132:222-34 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that chronic arsenic exposure at levels that are commonly found in drinking water (i.e., 10-50 ppb) alters cellular mechanisms critical to airway innate immunity. ..
- Lencinas A, Chhun D, Dan K, Ross K, Hoover E, Antin P, et al. Olfactomedin-1 activity identifies a cell invasion checkpoint during epithelial-mesenchymal transition in the chick embryonic heart. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:632-42 pubmed publisher..Its role in cell invasion and mesenchymal cell gene regulation suggests an invasion checkpoint in EMT where OLFM1 acts to promote cell invasion into the three-dimensional matrix. ..
- Fang J, Angelov S, Simon A, Burt J. Compromised regulation of tissue perfusion and arteriogenesis limit, in an AT1R-independent fashion, recovery of ischemic tissue in Cx40(-/-) mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2013;304:H816-27 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that Cx40(-/-) mice are at significantly greater risk for poor recovery from ischemic insult due to compromised regulation of tissue perfusion, vascular remodeling, and prolonged inflammatory response. ..
- Melemedjian O, Yassine H, Shy A, Price T. Proteomic and functional annotation analysis of injured peripheral nerves reveals ApoE as a protein upregulated by injury that is modulated by metformin treatment. Mol Pain. 2013;9:14 pubmed publisher..We conclude from the known functions of ApoE in the nervous system that ApoE may be an intrinsic factor linked to nerve regeneration after PNI, an effect that is further enhanced by metformin treatment. ..
- Puvvada S, Kendrick S, Rimsza L. Molecular classification, pathway addiction, and therapeutic targeting in diffuse large B cell lymphoma. Cancer Genet. 2013;206:257-65 pubmed publisher..Finally, we examine the molecular genomic studies that revealed the importance of the tumor microenvironment in the pathogenesis of DLBCL. ..
- CarriÃ¨re Y, Fabrick J, Tabashnik B. Can Pyramids and Seed Mixtures Delay Resistance to Bt Crops?. Trends Biotechnol. 2016;34:291-302 pubmed publisher..For these problematic pests, promising approaches include using larger refuges and integrating Bt crops with other pest management tactics. ..
- Remesic M, Lee Y, Hruby V. Cyclic Opioid Peptides. Curr Med Chem. 2016;23:1288-303 pubmed..Various scaffolds and approaches to improve bioavailability are elaborated and concluded with a discourse towards polycyclic peptides. ..
- Weil A, Davis W. Bufo alvarius: a potent hallucinogen of animal origin. J Ethnopharmacol. 1994;41:1-8 pubmed..These experiments are the first documentation of an hallucinogenic agent from the animal kingdom, and they provide clear evidence of a psychoactive toad that could have been employed by Precolumbian peoples of the New World...
- Schaeffer R, Bitrick M, Connolly B, Jenson A, Gong F. Pichinde virus-induced respiratory failure due to obstruction of the small airways: structure and function. Exp Lung Res. 1993;19:715-29 pubmed..These data suggest that Pichinde virus-induced respiratory failure was due to obstruction of the small airways with wasted ventilation in association with lymphocytic pneumonitis...
- Martinez T, Wheeler D. Identification of two storage hexamers in the ant, Camponotus festinatus: accumulation in adult queenless workers. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 1993;23:309-17 pubmed..However, with respect to their amino acid composition, they can not be classified as arylphorins. ..
- Songer J. Bacterial phospholipases and their role in virulence. Trends Microbiol. 1997;5:156-61 pubmed
- Billington S, Songer J, Jost B. Widespread distribution of a tet W determinant among tetracycline-resistant isolates of the animal pathogen Arcanobacterium pyogenes. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2002;46:1281-7 pubmed..The mobile nature of this determinant and the presence of A. pyogenes in the gastrointestinal tract of cattle and pigs suggest that A. pyogenes may have inherited this determinant within the gastrointestinal tracts of these animals. ..
- Sloviter R, Zappone C, Harvey B, Bumanglag A, Bender R, Frotscher M. "Dormant basket cell" hypothesis revisited: relative vulnerabilities of dentate gyrus mossy cells and inhibitory interneurons after hippocampal status epilepticus in the rat. J Comp Neurol. 2003;459:44-76 pubmed
- Collmann C, Carlsson M, Hansson B, Nighorn A. Odorant-evoked nitric oxide signals in the antennal lobe of Manduca sexta. J Neurosci. 2004;24:6070-7 pubmed..The results of these experiments show clearly that odorant stimulation can evoke NO production in the olfactory system. The NO signals produced are likely to play an important role in processing olfactory information. ..
- Patton A, Knuth S, Schaheen B, Dang H, Greenwald I, Fares H. Endocytosis function of a ligand-gated ion channel homolog in Caenorhabditis elegans. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1045-50 pubmed..Worms lacking CUP-4 have reduced phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate levels at the plasma membrane, suggesting that CUP-4 regulates endocytosis through modulation of phospholipase C activity. ..
- Marmorstein L, Wu J, McLaughlin P, Yocom J, Karl M, Neussert R, et al. The light peak of the electroretinogram is dependent on voltage-gated calcium channels and antagonized by bestrophin (best-1). J Gen Physiol. 2006;127:577-89 pubmed..Furthermore, we suggest that the loss of vision associated with BMD is not caused by the same pathologic process as the diminished LP, but rather is caused by as yet unidentified effects of best-1 on other cellular processes. ..
- Pelis R, Dangprapai Y, Wunz T, Wright S. Inorganic mercury interacts with cysteine residues (C451 and C474) of hOCT2 to reduce its transport activity. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007;292:F1583-91 pubmed..These data indicate that C451 and C474 of hOCT2 reside in the aqueous milieu of the cleft and that interaction of Hg(2+) with these residues causes reduced TEA transport activity. ..
- Keck M, Romero Aleshire M, Cai Q, Hoyer P, Brooks H. Hormonal status affects the progression of STZ-induced diabetes and diabetic renal damage in the VCD mouse model of menopause. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007;293:F193-9 pubmed..This study highlights the importance and utility of the VCD model of menopause, as it provides a physiologically relevant system for determining the impact of the menopausal transition on diabetes and diabetic kidney damage. ..
- Shokhireva T, Shokhirev N, Berry R, Zhang H, Walker F. Assignment of the ferriheme resonances of high- and low-spin forms of the symmetrical hemin-reconstituted nitrophorins 1-4 by 1H and 13C NMR spectroscopy: the dynamics of heme ruffling deformations. J Biol Inorg Chem. 2008;13:941-59 pubmed publisher..Two other types of dynamics, i.e., changes in heme seating and NMeIm rotation, are also observed. The highly distorted heme and the dynamics it causes are unique to the NPs and a few other heme proteins with highly distorted macrocycles...
- Merrell M, Jackson J, Augustine L, Fisher C, Slitt A, Maher J, et al. The Nrf2 activator oltipraz also activates the constitutive androstane receptor. Drug Metab Dispos. 2008;36:1716-21 pubmed publisher..In summary, OPZ induces expression of Cyp2b10 and Nqo1 via the activation of CAR and Nrf2, respectively. ..
- Hu X, Murata L, Weichsel A, Brailey J, Roberts S, Nighorn A, et al. Allostery in recombinant soluble guanylyl cyclase from Manduca sexta. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:20968-77 pubmed publisher..Importantly, YC-1 binding occurs in the N-terminal two-thirds of the protein. Homology modeling and mutagenesis experiments suggest the presence of an H-NOX domain in the alpha subunit with importance for heme binding. ..
- Vardanyan R, Vijay G, Nichol G, Liu L, Kumarasinghe I, Davis P, et al. Synthesis and investigations of double-pharmacophore ligands for treatment of chronic and neuropathic pain. Bioorg Med Chem. 2009;17:5044-53 pubmed publisher..The absence of significant COX inhibitory properties could be explained by the required substitution of an acyl fragment in the indomethacin structure for 4-piperidyl. ..
- Becerra J, Noge K, Venable D. Macroevolutionary chemical escalation in an ancient plant-herbivore arms race. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:18062-6 pubmed publisher..Overall chemical diversity in the genus also increased, but not as fast as species diversity, possibly because of allopatric species gaining improved defense with compounds that are new locally, but already in existence elsewhere...
- Worobey M, Telfer P, Souquiere S, Hunter M, Coleman C, Metzger M, et al. Island biogeography reveals the deep history of SIV. Science. 2010;329:1487 pubmed publisher..Our phylogeographic approach establishes that SIV is ancient and at least 32,000 years old. Our conservative calibration point and analyses of gene sequence saturation and dating bias suggest it may be much older...
- Lai L, Yong K, Lien Y. Pharmacologic recruitment of regulatory T cells as a therapy for ischemic acute kidney injury. Kidney Int. 2012;81:983-992 pubmed publisher..Thus, Tregs recruited to the kidney by DMS ameliorate acute kidney injury and provide a new approach to control inflammatory diseases. ..
- Mendez F, Watkins J, Hammer M. A haplotype at STAT2 Introgressed from neanderthals and serves as a candidate of positive selection in Papua New Guinea. Am J Hum Genet. 2012;91:265-74 pubmed publisher..Although we are not able to pinpoint the precise target of positive selection, we identify nonsynonymous mutations in ERBB3, ESYT1, and STAT2-all of which are part of the same 250 kb introgressive haplotype-as good candidates. ..
- Fronczek C, You D, Yoon J. Single-pipetting microfluidic assay device for rapid detection of Salmonella from poultry package. Biosens Bioelectron. 2013;40:342-9 pubmed publisher..Total assay time was 10 min, and the detection limit 10 CFU mL(-1) was observed in all matrices, demonstrating the suitability of this device for field assays. ..
- Bush D, Wysocki V, Scaraffia P. Study of the fragmentation of arginine isobutyl ester applied to arginine quantification in Aedes aegypti mosquito excreta. J Mass Spectrom. 2012;47:1364-71 pubmed publisher..This method provides an efficient and rapid tool to quantify Arg in individual blood-fed mosquitoes, and can be applied to other organisms, whose small size severally limits the use of conventional biochemical analysis. ..
- Koop J, DeMatteo K, Parker P, Whiteman N. Birds are islands for parasites. Biol Lett. 2014;10: pubmed publisher..Allopatric co-divergence is likely one important mechanism driving the diversification of parasites. ..
- Lee C, Ng H, Lee Y, Lai L, Lien Y. The role of calbindin-D28k on renal calcium and magnesium handling during treatment with loop and thiazide diuretics. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2016;310:F230-6 pubmed publisher..The lack of upregulation of DCT Ca transport molecules by thiazides in the KO mice indicates that the DCT Ca transport system is critical for Ca conservation by thiazides. ..
- Geisler C, Renquist B. Hepatic lipid accumulation: cause and consequence of dysregulated glucoregulatory hormones. J Endocrinol. 2017;234:R1-R21 pubmed publisher..Understanding the mechanisms underlying the metabolic dysfunction that develops as a consequence of hepatic lipid accumulation is critical to identifying points of intervention in this increasingly prevalent disease state. ..
- Lester A, Moffat S, Wiener J, Barnes C, Wolbers T. The Aging Navigational System. Neuron. 2017;95:1019-1035 pubmed publisher..The closing section highlights the clinical potential of behavioral and neural markers of spatial navigation, with a particular emphasis on neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Adams A, Botstein D, Drubin D. Requirement of yeast fimbrin for actin organization and morphogenesis in vivo. Nature. 1991;354:404-8 pubmed..Mutants lacking Sac6p do not form normal actin structures and are defective in morphogenesis. These findings demonstrate an in vivo role for the well-documented biochemical interaction between fimbrin and actin. ..
- Kang J, Slater G, Aufses A, Cohen G. Production of ethane by rats treated with the colon carcinogen, 1,2-dimethylhydrazine. Biochem Pharmacol. 1988;37:2967-71 pubmed..Methyl radicals are capable of interacting with biomolecules. Their indiscriminate reaction with tissue constituents may be a contributory factor in DMH-induced carcinogenesis. ..
- Pajor A. Sequence of a putative transporter from rabbit kidney related to the Na+/glucose cotransporter gene family. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1994;1194:349-51 pubmed..Because of the high sequence similarity and conservation of 'signature' family features, it is very likely that RK-D encodes a Na(+)-dependent cotransporter. ..
- Wu J, Reaves S, Wang Y, Wu Y, Lei P, Lei K. Zinc deficiency decreases plasma level and hepatic mRNA abundance of apolipoprotein A-I in rats and hamsters. Am J Physiol. 1998;275:C1516-25 pubmed..Data from this study demonstrated that Zn deficiency specifically decreases hepatic apoA-I gene expression, which may at least be partly responsible for the reduction of plasma apoA-I levels...
- Nakato H, Fox B, Selleck S. dally, a Drosophila member of the glypican family of integral membrane proteoglycans, affects cell cycle progression and morphogenesis via a Cyclin A-mediated process. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:123-30 pubmed
- Yu Q, Montes S, Larson D, Watson R. Effects of chronic methamphetamine exposure on heart function in uninfected and retrovirus-infected mice. Life Sci. 2002;71:953-65 pubmed..These data suggest that MA induced myocardial cellular changes compensate for retrovirus induced DCM. ..
- Nakato H, Kimata K. Heparan sulfate fine structure and specificity of proteoglycan functions. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1573:312-8 pubmed..In this review, we focus on the molecular basis of growth factor control by the sulfation status of heparan sulfate. ..
- Sinakevitch I, Douglass J, Scholtz G, Loesel R, Strausfeld N. Conserved and convergent organization in the optic lobes of insects and isopods, with reference to other crustacean taxa. J Comp Neurol. 2003;467:150-72 pubmed..The occurrence of a second optic chiasma and protolobula are suggested to be synapomorphic for a malacostracan/insect clade. ..
- Xu L, Dixit M, Chen R, Dixit N, Collins J, Ghishan F. Effects of angiotensin II on NaPi-IIa co-transporter expression and activity in rat renal cortex. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1667:114-21 pubmed..A-II stimulation of Na/Pi co-transport activity is a result of increases in the expression of BBM NaPi-IIa protein level and that stimulation is most likely mediated by posttranscriptional mechanisms. ..
- Small E, Warkman A, Wang D, Sutherland L, Olson E, Krieg P. Myocardin is sufficient and necessary for cardiac gene expression in Xenopus. Development. 2005;132:987-97 pubmed..We conclude that myocardin is an essential component of the regulatory pathway for myocardial differentiation. ..
- McCutcheon J, Moran N. Parallel genomic evolution and metabolic interdependence in an ancient symbiosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:19392-7 pubmed..Analysis of the coding capacities of Sulcia and Baumannia reveals striking complementarity in metabolic capabilities...
- Hartwig C, Worrell J, Levine R, Ramaswami M, Sanyal S. Normal dendrite growth in Drosophila motor neurons requires the AP-1 transcription factor. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:1225-42 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results show that AP-1 mediated transcription is important for dendrite growth, and that neural activity influences global dendritic growth through a gene-expression dependent mechanism gated by AP-1. ..
- Hays A, Lantz R, Rodgers L, Sollome J, Vaillancourt R, Andrew A, et al. Arsenic-induced decreases in the vascular matrix. Toxicol Pathol. 2008;36:805-17 pubmed publisher..These AsIII-induced early pathological events may predispose humans to respiratory and cardiovascular diseases linked to chronic low-dose AsIII exposure...
- Shahidullah M, Mandal A, Delamere N. Responses of sodium-hydrogen exchange to nitric oxide in porcine cultured nonpigmented ciliary epithelium. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:5851-8 pubmed publisher..Although NHE inhibitors are known to lower intraocular pressure (IOP), further studies are needed to understand whether changes in NHE activity contribute to the IOP-lowering effect of NO donors. ..
- Burke G, Fiehn O, Moran N. Effects of facultative symbionts and heat stress on the metabolome of pea aphids. ISME J. 2010;4:242-52 pubmed publisher..symbiotica may reflect the delivery of protective metabolites to aphid or Buchnera cells, after heat exposure...
- Fukushima H, Chung C, Granzier H. Titin-isoform dependence of titin-actin interaction and its regulation by S100A1/Ca2+ in skinned myocardium. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2010;2010:727239 pubmed publisher..We propose that titin-actin interaction is a "viscous break" that is on during diastole and off during systole. ..
- Moran N, Jarvik T. Lateral transfer of genes from fungi underlies carotenoid production in aphids. Science. 2010;328:624-7 pubmed publisher..A mutation causing an amino acid replacement in this desaturase results in loss of torulene and of red body color. Thus, aphids are animals that make their own carotenoids. ..
- Chen X, Fahy A, Green A, Anderson M, Rhoads R, Limesand S. ?2-Adrenergic receptor desensitization in perirenal adipose tissue in fetuses and lambs with placental insufficiency-induced intrauterine growth restriction. J Physiol. 2010;588:3539-49 pubmed publisher..This impairment in adrenergic stimulated lipolysis might partially explain early onset obesity in IUGR offspring. ..
- Dacks A, Nighorn A. The organization of the antennal lobe correlates not only with phylogenetic relationship, but also life history: a Basal hymenopteran as exemplar. Chem Senses. 2011;36:209-20 pubmed publisher..The similarities between sawflies and moths suggest that along with the great radiation and increased complexity of behavioral repertoire of the Hymenoptera, there were extensive modifications of AL structure. ..
- Morin C, Comrie A. Regional and seasonal response of a West Nile virus vector to climate change. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:15620-5 pubmed publisher..quinquefasciatus populations across the southern United States will not be homogeneous, and will depend on specific combinations of local and regional conditions. ..