Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on obesity in Ankara, Turkey
Locale: Ankara, Turkey
- Siklar Z, Ocal G, Berberoglu M, Hacihamdioglu B, Savas Erdeve S, Egin Y, et al. Evaluation of hypercoagulability in obese children with thrombin generation test and microparticle release: effect of metabolic parameters. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2011;17:585-9 pubmed publisher..Significant correlation between degree of obesity and microparticles release suggested that high adipokine levels secreted from adipose tissue can stimulate procoagulant status-independent metabolic dearrangements. ..
- Derbent M, Baskin E, Agildere M, Agras P, Saatci U. Brachydactyly short-stature hypertension syndrome: a case with associated vascular malformations. Pediatr Nephrol. 2006;21:390-3 pubmed..Such individuals should be carefully examined for brachydactyly and for cerebral-cerebellar and renal vascular malformations. ..
- AkÄ±n O, Arslan M, AkgÃ¼n H, Yavuz S, SarÄ± E, TaÅŸÃ§Ä±lar M, et al. Visual and brainstem auditory evoked potentials in children with obesity. Brain Dev. 2016;38:310-6 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that VEP and BAEP can be used to determine early subclinical on auditory and visual functions of obese children with insulin resistance. ..
- Kanbay M, Turgut F, Uyar M, Akcay A, Covic A. Causes and mechanisms of nondipping hypertension. Clin Exp Hypertens. 2008;30:585-97 pubmed publisher..This paper will attempt to address to clarify the underlying basis for nondipping and the specific associations with various disease states. ..
- Esin S, Salman M, Ozyuncu O, Durukan T. Surgical outcome of transobturator tape procedure in obese and non-obese women. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2011;31:645-9 pubmed publisher..As a conclusion, BMI does not affect the clinical effectiveness of TOT operation in the treatment of female SUI or MUI. ..
- Kama N, Doganay M, Dolapci M, Reis E, Atli M, Kologlu M. Risk factors resulting in conversion of laparoscopic cholecystectomy to open surgery. Surg Endosc. 2001;15:965-8 pubmed..An appreciation for the aforementioned predictors of conversion will allow appropriate planning by the patient, the institution, and the surgeon. ..
- Kinik S, Alehan F, Erol I, Kanra A. Obesity and paediatric migraine. Cephalalgia. 2010;30:105-9 pubmed publisher..In this study, obesity appeared to be related to the frequency of headache attacks in children and adolescents with migraine. ..
- Aydogdu A, Tasci I, Tapan S, Basaran Y, Aydogan U, Meric C, et al. High plasma level of long Pentraxin 3 is associated with insulin resistance in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2012;28:722-5 pubmed publisher..After adjustment for age and BMI, PTX3, total testosterone levels and BMI remained as independent predictors of HOMA-IR scores (p?<?0.05, for all). PTX3 level is increased in patients with PCOS in concordance with insulin resistance. ..
- Akın O, Arslan M, Haymana C, Karabulut E, Hacihamdioglu B, Yavuz S. Association of neck circumference and pulmonary function in children. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2017;119:27-30 pubmed publisher..Therefore, close monitoring of respiratory symptoms, particularly in children with obesity and a large NC, could help with early and prompt determination of respiratory complications of obesity. ..
- ..In this chapter, besides lipids and leptin, the role of glucose and insulin on specialized fuel-sensing neurons of hypothalamic neuronal circuits has been debated. ..
- Engin A. Fat Cell and Fatty Acid Turnover in Obesity. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;960:135-160 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, in addition to lipid droplet growth, the functional link between the adipocyte-specific lipid droplet-associated protein and fatty acid turn-over is also debated. ..
- Engin A. Adipose Tissue Hypoxia in Obesity and Its Impact on Preadipocytes and Macrophages: Hypoxia Hypothesis. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;960:305-326 pubmed publisher..In addition to stressed adipocytes, hypoxia contributes to immune cell immigration and activation which further aggravates adipose tissue fibrosis. Fibrosis is initiated in response to adipocyte hypertrophy in obesity. ..
- Bayramoglu M, Akman M, Kilinc S, Cetin N, Yavuz N, Ozker R. Isokinetic measurement of trunk muscle strength in women with chronic low-back pain. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2001;80:650-5 pubmed..To investigate the relationships among chronic low-back pain and obesity, total spinal range of motion, and trunk muscle strength. The short-term impact of trunk muscle strengthening exercises on this condition was also examined...
- Cakal E, Ustun Y, Engin Ustun Y, Ozkaya M, Kilinc M. Serum vaspin and C-reactive protein levels in women with polycystic ovaries and polycystic ovary syndrome. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2011;27:491-5 pubmed publisher..1%. The results of our study showed that the presence of the increased vaspin, CRP and higher HOMA-IR levels in women with PCOS and PCO could contribute to increased diabetogenic and atherogenic risk in these patients. ..
- Aycan Z, Berberoglu M, Ocal G, Evliyaoglu O, Adiyaman P, Deda G, et al. Relationship between plasma leptin, insulin and tumor necrosis factor alpha in obese children. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2005;18:275-84 pubmed..Plasma leptin concentrations did not show any correlation with TNFalpha levels in obese children. Furthermore, plasma leptin and TNFalpha concentrations were similar in hyperinsulinemic and normoinsulinemic obese children. ..
- Altunkan S, Oztaş K, Altunkan E. Validation of the Omron 637IT wrist blood pressure measuring device with a position sensor according to the International Protocol in adults and obese adults. Blood Press Monit. 2006;11:79-85 pubmed..The device passed phases 1 and 2 in 33 participants in this group. The Omron 637IT passed according to the International Protocol criteria and can be recommended for use in adults and obese adults. ..
- Taner Y, Törel Ergür A, Bahçivan G, Gürdag M. Psychopathology and its effect on treatment compliance in pediatric obesity patients. Turk J Pediatr. 2009;51:466-71 pubmed..This shows that child and adolescent psychiatrists should be included as team members while treating pediatric obese patients. ..
- Mergen H, Karaaslan C, Mergen M, Deniz Ozsoy E, Ozata M. LEPR, ADBR3, IRS-1 and 5-HTT genes polymorphisms do not associate with obesity. Endocr J. 2007;54:89-94 pubmed..Weak, though significant, association coefficients obtained with HTT and LEPR loci indicate that the genotype numbers at these loci may depend on BMI status to some extent. ..
- Tascilar M, Yokusoglu M, Boyraz M, Baysan O, Koz C, Dundaroz R. Cardiac autonomic functions in obese children. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol. 2011;3:60-4 pubmed publisher..We propose that autonomic imbalance pertaining especially to insulin resistance may be involved in the pathogenesis of obesity in pediatric patients. ..
- Engin A. Obesity-associated Breast Cancer: Analysis of risk factors. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;960:571-606 pubmed publisher..Obesity-related prognostic factors of breast cancer also are discussed at molecular basis. ..
- Telli M, Yildirim M, Noyan V. Serum leptin levels in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2002;77:932-5 pubmed..Leptin levels were not higher in patients with PCOS compared to the control group; the leptin level was correlated with the amount of fat tissue not only in patients with PCOS but also in healthy women. ..
- ..Leptin/adiponectin imbalance may also be an important marker of the elevated risk of developing abdominal obesity-associated cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Çınar N, Kizilarslanoglu M, Harmanci A, Aksoy D, Bozdag G, Demir B, et al. Depression, anxiety and cardiometabolic risk in polycystic ovary syndrome. Hum Reprod. 2011;26:3339-45 pubmed publisher..Depression and anxiety are more common in patients with PCOS compared with healthy women. Depression in PCOS might be associated with obesity and metabolic abnormalities including insulin resistance and dyslipidemia. ..
- Engin A, Engin A. The Interactions Between Kynurenine, Folate, Methionine and Pteridine Pathways in Obesity. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;960:511-527 pubmed publisher..Additionally, in obese patients, folate-deficiency leads to hyperhomocysteinemia. Folic acid confers protection against hyperhomocysteinemia-induced oxidative stress. ..
- Agras P, Saatci U, Baskin E, Ozbek N, Cengiz N, Colak T, et al. Hyperleptinemia and its relation with peripheral C34(+)CD7(+) stem cells in renal transplant recipients. Transpl Immunol. 2006;15:241-5 pubmed..The central and peripheral effects of leptin may differ on lymphoid stem cells and a serum threshold level may apply for the central effects. ..
- Engin A. The Definition and Prevalence of Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;960:1-17 pubmed publisher..The average prevalence of metabolic syndrome is 31%, and is associated with a two-fold increase in the risk of coronary heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, and a 1.5-fold increase in the risk of all-cause mortality. ..
- Tapan S, Tascilar E, Abaci A, Sonmez A, Kilic S, Erbil M, et al. Decreased plasma apelin levels in pubertal obese children. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2010;23:1039-46 pubmed..002). The results of the present study indicate that plasma apelin levels are lower in child obesity and pubertal state is an important determinant of plasma apelin levels. ..
- Turkoz F, Solak M, Petekkaya I, Keskin O, Kertmen N, Sarici F, et al. The prognostic impact of obesity on molecular subtypes of breast cancer in premenopausal women. J BUON. 2013;18:335-41 pubmed..We investigated the impact of obesity on tumor features, hormonal status, recurrence and mortality in premenopausal breast cancer patients, classified according to molecular subtypes...
- Engin A. Adipocyte-Macrophage Cross-Talk in Obesity. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;960:327-343 pubmed publisher..Macrophage/adipocyte fatty-acid-binding proteins act at the interface of metabolic and inflammatory pathways. Both macrophages and adipocytes are the sites for active lipid metabolism and signaling. ..
- Engin A. Does Bariatric Surgery Improve Obesity Associated Comorbid Conditions. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;960:545-570 pubmed publisher..However, the benefits of weight loss following bariatric procedures are still debated regarding the pro-inflammatory and metabolic profile of obesity. ..
- Gulcelik M, Colakoglu K, Dincer H, Dogan L, Yenidogan E, Gulcelik N. Associations between adiponectin and two different cancers: breast and colon. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2012;13:395-8 pubmed..A low serum adiponectin level may be associated with both breast and colon cancer, and that this association is not statistically significant for either receptor or menopausal status in breast cancer groups. ..
- Haznedaroglu I, Malkan U. Lipotoxicity-Related Hematological Disorders in Obesity. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;960:469-487 pubmed publisher..The aim of this chapter is to review hematological alterations propagating the pathological influences of lipotoxicity on the vascular endothelium. ..
- Mousa U, Onur H, Utkan G. Is obesity always a risk factor for all breast cancer patients? c-erbB2 expression is significantly lower in obese patients with early stage breast cancer. Clin Transl Oncol. 2012;14:923-30 pubmed publisher..This could be explained by the low number of patients in this study, genetic profile of the patient population, possible weight changes after treatment and the inverse relationship between body mass index and c-erbB2 expression. ..
- Balaban Y, Sumer H, Simsek H, Us D, Tatar G. Metabolic syndrome, non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), and hepatocyte growth factor (HGF). Ann Hepatol. 2006;5:109-14 pubmed..Serum HGF levels were higher in NASH patients than in the controls, although it was statistically insignificant and a correlation with MS could not be detected in this study. ..
- ..Defective responses of AMPK to leptin may contribute to resistance to leptin action on food intake and energy expenditure in obese states. ..
- Berker D, Koparal S, Isik S, Pasaoglu L, Aydin Y, Erol K, et al. Compatibility of different methods for the measurement of visceral fat in different body mass index strata. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2010;16:99-105 pubmed publisher..Anthropometric measurements and visceral fat tissue measurement methods such as US and BIA exhibit differences with respect to compliance with CT results in visceral fat tissue measurements by gender and BMI levels. ..
- Yanik B, Ayrim A, Ozol D, Koktener A, Gokmen D. Influence of obesity on bone mineral density in postmenopausal asthma patients undergoing treatment with inhaled corticosteroids. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2009;64:313-8 pubmed..Therefore, the protective effect of obesity against osteoporosis in asthma patients seems to not be significant. ..
- Baci Y, Ustuner I, Keskin H, Ersoy R, Avsar A. Effect of maternal obesity and weight gain on gestational diabetes mellitus. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2013;29:133-6 pubmed publisher..Women planning pregnancy should be educated about the disadvantages of obesity, being over-weight and should be advised to have an ideal prepregnancy BMI and ideal weight gain during pregnancy...
- Engin A. The Pathogenesis of Obesity-Associated Adipose Tissue Inflammation. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;960:221-245 pubmed publisher..In this chapter potential involvement of these factors that contribute to the adverse effects of obesity are reviewed. ..
- ..In this context, chronic adipose tissue inflammation, mitochondrial dysfunction and IR have been discussed within the scope of lipotoxicity. ..
- Tascilar M, Ozgen I, Abaci A, Serdar M, Aykut O. Trace elements in obese Turkish children. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2011;143:188-95 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, there may be alterations in the serum levels of trace elements in obese children and these alterations may have a role in the pathogenesis of obesity...
- Engin A. Circadian Rhythms in Diet-Induced Obesity. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;960:19-52 pubmed publisher..Thus, shift work is associated with increased risk for obesity, diabetes and cardio-vascular diseases as a result of unusual eating time and disruption of circadian rhythm. ..