Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on chronic disease in Ankara, Turkey
Locale: Ankara, Turkey
Topic: chronic disease
- Erdeve O, Yurttutan S, Altug N, Ozdemir R, Gokmen T, Dilmen U, et al. Oral versus intravenous ibuprofen for patent ductus arteriosus closure: a randomised controlled trial in extremely low birthweight infants. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2012;97:F279-83 pubmed publisher..001). Oral ibuprofen is as effective as intravenous ibuprofen for PDA closure even in ELBW infants. ..
- Ozbek C, Tuna E, Ciftci O, Yazkan O, Ozdem C. Incidence of fallopian canal dehiscence at surgery for chronic otitis media. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2009;266:357-62 pubmed publisher..Operation of these ears should be performed by experienced surgeons in otology. ..
- Güven O. A clinical study on treatment of temporomandibular joint chronic recurrent dislocations by a modified eminoplasty technique. J Craniofac Surg. 2008;19:1275-80 pubmed publisher..It provided shorter operating time for surgeon and satisfactory postoperative results. ..
- Karaayvaz M, Caliskaner Z, Turan M, Akar A, Ozturk S, Ozanguc N. Levothyroxine versus ketotifen in the treatment of patients with chronic urticaria and thyroid autoimmunity. J Dermatolog Treat. 2002;13:165-72 pubmed..Symptoms did not recur in the completely improved patients. Levothyroxine is an important and inexpensive treatment alternative in patients with CUA and TA. ..
- Sancak T, Silav G, Egemen N, Aldur M. Subarachnoid heamorrhage-induced chronic cerebral vasospasm in the rabbit: IV-DSA versus IA-DSA. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2002;144:929-31 pubmed..The present study shows that IV-DSA is a relatively simple and effective method for demonstrating cerebral vessels, especially the basilar artery. ..
- Sahiner U, Civelek E, Tuncer A, Yavuz S, Karabulut E, Sackesen C, et al. Chronic urticaria: etiology and natural course in children. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2011;156:224-30 pubmed publisher..CSU has a favorable prognosis, and resolution is seen in half of the children within 5 years. Girls older than 10 years may have an unfavorable prognosis. ..
- Kanbay M, Kanbay A, Boyacioglu S. Helicobacter pylori infection as a possible risk factor for respiratory system disease: a review of the literature. Respir Med. 2007;101:203-9 pubmed..The aim of this review was to analyze the possible association between HP and respiratory disease and provide a critical review of the relevant literature. ..
- Erol I, Alehan F, Ozcay F, Canan O, Haberal M. Neurologic complications of liver transplantation in pediatric patients with the hepatic form of Wilson's disease. J Child Neurol. 2008;23:293-300 pubmed..Transplantation teams should be aware of the high incidence of neurologic complications in pediatric patients with the hepatic form of Wilson's disease. ..
- Gogus F, Gunendi Z, Karakus R, Erdogan Z, Hizel K, Atalay F. Comparison of tuberculin skin test and QuantiFERON-TB gold in tube test in patients with chronic inflammatory diseases living in a tuberculosis endemic population. Clin Exp Med. 2010;10:173-7 pubmed publisher..141) and in patients with SpA (kappa = 0.190). We found poor concordance between QFT-IT and TST in patients with chronic inflammatory diseases, and TST response was suppressed in patients treated with immunosuppressive drugs. ..
- Altay M, Arikan M, Yildiz Y, Saglik Y. Squamous cell carcinoma arising in chronic osteomyelitis in foot and ankle. Foot Ankle Int. 2004;25:805-9 pubmed..Routine regional lymphadenectomy at the time of amputation seems unnecessary, but regional lymphadenopathy persisting for 3 months after amputation warrants surgical intervention. ..
- Yetiser S, Satar B, Aydin N. Expression of epidermal growth factor, tumor necrosis factor-alpha, and interleukin-1alpha in chronic otitis media with or without cholesteatoma. Otol Neurotol. 2002;23:647-52 pubmed..Antibiotic treatment does not affect the level of cytokine concentration in patients with chronic otitis media and cholesteatoma, although the ear discharge subsides and inflammation-related symptoms regress in some cases. ..
- Dagli M, Eryilmaz A, Uzun A, Kayhan B, Karabulut H. Investigation of Helicobacter pylori in the middle ear of the patients with chronic otitis media by CLO test and 14C urea breath test. Otol Neurotol. 2006;27:871-3 pubmed..pylori, and although our results suggest that the source of this bacterium is the stomach, further clinical studies are needed. ..
- Yilmaz T, Suslu A, Gursel B. Treatment of oroantral fistula:experience with 27 cases. Am J Otolaryngol. 2003;24:221-3 pubmed..The outcome may not be satisfactory in patients with systemic disease and in patients with history of radiotherapy. Multiple surgical interventions may be necessary only on rare occasions. ..
- Turan N, Yildiz G, Gumusel B, Demiryurek A. Ischemic and peroxynitrite preconditioning effects in chronic hypoxic rat lung. Exp Lung Res. 2008;34:325-41 pubmed publisher..There were also no marked differences either in wet to dry weight ratio or malondialdehyde levels of chronic hypoxic lungs. These results imply that preconditioning does not occur in the chronic hypoxic rat lungs. ..
- Colak D, Ozyilkan O, Akcali Z, Bilezikci B. Hodgkin's disease in an elderly patient with B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Indian J Cancer. 2005;42:158-60 pubmed..CLL patients are also at a significantly increased risk of developing a second malignant neoplasm later in life. One of the most common of these is HD. Herein, we report a case of HD in an elderly man with a history of B-cell CLL. ..
- Yurttas Y, Kurklu M, Demiralp B, Atesalp A. A novel technique for transtibial amputation in chronic occlusive arterial disease: Modified Burgess procedure. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2009;33:25-32 pubmed publisher..5 days. Our retrospective study showed that the modified Burgess technique, with its advantages and disadvantages forms an alternative to the Burgess and Bruckner techniques regarding TTAs. ..
- Kaptan Z, Emir H, Uzunkulaoglu H, Yucel M, Karakoc E, Koca G, et al. Determination of Helicobacter pylori in patients with chronic nonspecific pharyngitis. Laryngoscope. 2009;119:1479-83 pubmed publisher..pylori infection is significantly related to H. pylori colonization in the pharynx, and gastric involvement increases the rate of this spread. The gold standart for detection of H. pylori infection is the PCR method. ..
- Sungur G, Hazirolan D, Gurbuz Y, Unlu N, Duran S, Duman S. Ocular involvement in brucellosis. Can J Ophthalmol. 2009;44:598-601 pubmed publisher..To report the ocular findings associated with brucellosis...
- Sehirlioglu A, Ozturk C, Oguz E, Emre T, Bek D, Altinmakas M. Coccygectomy in the surgical treatment of traumatic coccygodynia. Injury. 2007;38:182-7 pubmed..The aim of this study is a retrospective analysis of our patients surgically managed for traumatic coccygodynia and a critical review of the results obtained in comparison to the literature...
- Yücel O, Berker E, Gariboglu S, Otlu H. Interleukin-11, interleukin-1beta, interleukin-12 and the pathogenesis of inflammatory periodontal diseases. J Clin Periodontol. 2008;35:365-70 pubmed publisher..Because of the possible preventive effect of IL-11 on inflammation, IL-11 may be an important factor in the therapeutic modulation of periodontal disease. ..
- Gullu H, Caliskan M, Ciftci O, Erdogan D, Topcu S, Yildirim E, et al. Light cigarette smoking impairs coronary microvascular functions as severely as smoking regular cigarettes. Heart. 2007;93:1274-7 pubmed..48) (p = 0.001). Smoking low-tar, low-nicotine cigarettes impairs the CFVR as severely as smoking regular cigarettes. CFVR values are similar in light cigarette and regular cigarette smokers and significantly lower than in controls. ..
- Akay H, Akay A, Koklu S. Serum and tissue beta-2 microglobulin levels in patients with Helicobacter pylori infection. Dig Dis Sci. 2008;53:358-62 pubmed..beta2-m accumulates in the majority of gastric tissues of patients with active chronic gastritis who were H. pylori (+), whereas no accumulation was found in H. pylori (-) control subjects. ..
- Iriz A, Eryilmaz A, Gocer C, Acar A, Boynuegri S, Dursun E. Could Helicobacter pylori play a role in the aetiopathogenesis of tympanosclerosis?. J Laryngol Otol. 2011;125:1121-4 pubmed publisher..A statistically significant difference in H pylori presence was found (p ? 0.01). This study represents a preliminary investigation of the association between H pylori and tympanosclerosis development. ..
- Tosun F, Kemikli K, Yetkin S, Ozgen F, Durmaz A, Gerek M. Impact of endoscopic sinus surgery on sleep quality in patients with chronic nasal obstruction due to nasal polyposis. J Craniofac Surg. 2009;20:446-9 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of endoscopic sinus surgery on sleep quality in a patient group who has chronic nasal obstruction resulting from nasal polyposis...
- Buzoglu H, Unal H, Ulger C, Mert S, Kucukyildirim S, Er N. The zymographic evaluation of gelatinase (MMP-2 and -9) levels in acute and chronic periapical abscesses. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009;108:e121-6 pubmed publisher..This study investigated the presence and levels of matrix metalloproteinases (MMP)-2 and -9 in periapical abscesses...
- Uysal A, Lu Q. Is self-concealment associated with acute and chronic pain?. Health Psychol. 2011;30:606-14 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the findings also suggest that intervention methods using the self-determination theory framework (i.e., autonomy and competence supportive) might be effective for individuals with chronic pain. ..
- Ciftci A, Tanyel F, Hicsonmez A. Gastric diverticulum: an uncommon cause of abdominal pain in a 12 year old. J Pediatr Surg. 1998;33:529-31 pubmed..Surgical treatment consisting of simple excision of the diverticulum is warranted in cases presenting with long-lasting symptoms after failure of medical treatment...
- Tüter G, Kurtis B, Serdar M, Aykan T, Okyay K, Yucel A, et al. Effects of scaling and root planing and sub-antimicrobial dose doxycycline on oral and systemic biomarkers of disease in patients with both chronic periodontitis and coronary artery disease. J Clin Periodontol. 2007;34:673-81 pubmed..An investigation with larger numbers of patients and a longer duration of drug treatment is needed to confirm these preliminary findings. ..
- Tezer M, Tahamiler R, Canakcioglu S. Computed tomography findings in chronic rhinosinusitis patients with and without allergy. Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol. 2006;24:123-7 pubmed
- Tasman F, Atac A, Er N, Dagdeviren A, Kendir B. Expression of beta 1 integrins in human dental pulp in vivo: a comparative immunohistochemical study on healthy and chronic marginal periodontitis samples. Int Endod J. 2001;34:11-5 pubmed
- Kunduracioglu B, Yilmaz C, Yorubulut M, Kudas S. Magnetic resonance findings of osteitis pubis. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2007;25:535-9 pubmed..Associated pathologies, especially adductor or other tendon injuries, underlie more than half of the chronic cases of osteitis pubis. ..
- Senbil N, Gurer Y, Uner C, Barut Y. Sinusitis in children and adolescents with chronic or recurrent headache: a case-control study. J Headache Pain. 2008;9:33-6 pubmed publisher..Children with chronic or recurrent headaches are frequently misdiagnosed as sinus headache and receive unnecessary sinusitis treatment and sinus graphy. ..
- Akkaya T, Ozkan D. Chronic post-surgical pain. Agri. 2009;21:1-9 pubmed..Hence, preventive analgesia is a broader application of preemptive analgesia that includes any preoperative analgesic regimen able to control the sensitivity induced by pain. ..
- Mahli A, Coskun D, Altun N, Simsek A, Ocal E, Kostekci M. Alcohol neurolysis for persistent pain caused by superior cluneal nerves injury after iliac crest bone graft harvesting in orthopedic surgery: report of four cases and review of the literature. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2002;27:E478-81 pubmed..The authors suggest that conventional treatments be limited to a 2-month period, and that alcohol neurolysis be applied as soon as possible to prevent lengthy pain experiences. ..
- Sener A, Kuscu E, Seckin N, Gokmen O, Taner D, Cobanoglu O, et al. Postmenopausal vulvar pruritus--colposcopic diagnosis and treatment. J Pak Med Assoc. 1995;45:315-7 pubmed..94% and 0.07% respectively. Vulvar dystrophies were treated by topical steroids and success rate was 100%. All patients with vulvar pruritus need examination under colposcopy to define optimal therapy and to exclude atypia or malignancy...
- Dogruman Al F, Kustimur S, Yoshikawa H, Tuncer C, Simsek Z, Tanyuksel M, et al. Blastocystis subtypes in irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease in Ankara, Turkey. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2009;104:724-7 pubmed..The subtypes of Blastocystis that are commonly found in rodents and certain wild birds were not found in these patients. We suggest a model in which the severity of enteric protozoan infection may be mediated by host factors...
- Akalin F, Baltacioğlu E, Alver A, Karabulut E. Lipid peroxidation levels and total oxidant status in serum, saliva and gingival crevicular fluid in patients with chronic periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol. 2007;34:558-65 pubmed..The findings suggest that increased LPO and TOS may play an important role in the pathology of periodontitis, and are closely related to the clinical periodontal status. ..
- Akalin F, Toklu E, Renda N. Analysis of superoxide dismutase activity levels in gingiva and gingival crevicular fluid in patients with chronic periodontitis and periodontally healthy controls. J Clin Periodontol. 2005;32:238-43 pubmed..The weak correlation between gingival and GCF SOD activities suggests distinct actions of these SODs. ..
- Yildiz B, Sokmensuer C, Kaynaroglu V. Chronic anemia due to watermelon stomach. Ann Saudi Med. 2010;30:156-8 pubmed publisher..The patient underwent gastrectomy. We reviewed the literature on gastric angiodysplasia and have presented our unique tomography findings in this first report on a novel association between ectopic pancreas and gastric angiodysplasia. ..
- Yetiser S, Tosun F, Kazkayasi M. Facial nerve paralysis due to chronic otitis media. Otol Neurotol. 2002;23:580-8 pubmed..To present the characteristics of facial paralysis caused by chronic otitis media. The role of cholesteatoma, bony dehiscence, the duration of the disease, and the results of surgical therapy in facial paralysis were reviewed...
- Ozaslan E, Dagli N, Balkanci F, Bayraktar Y. Absence of the common bile duct and junction of the cystic duct with the left hepatic duct in a patient with chronic portal vein thrombosis. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2002;34:280-1 pubmed..Such lesions may cause unexpected complications during biliary surgery...
- Bayramoglu M, Akman M, Kilinc S, Cetin N, Yavuz N, Ozker R. Isokinetic measurement of trunk muscle strength in women with chronic low-back pain. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2001;80:650-5 pubmed..To investigate the relationships among chronic low-back pain and obesity, total spinal range of motion, and trunk muscle strength. The short-term impact of trunk muscle strengthening exercises on this condition was also examined...
- Takci Z, Vahaboglu G, Eksioglu H. Epidemiological patterns of perniosis, and its association with systemic disorder. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2012;37:844-9 pubmed publisher..There are few studies exploring the epidemiological properties of perniosis (chilblains) and its association with systemic disorders...
- Tozum T, Dursun E, Tulunoglu I. Sinus floor elevation from a maxillary molar tooth extraction socket in a patient with chronic inflammation. J Periodontol. 2009;80:521-6 pubmed..Sinus floor elevation through an extraction socket without any residual bone, followed by dental implant placement, provided successful functional results and acceptable stability. ..
- Kurtis B, Tüter G, Serdar M, Pinar S, Demirel I, Toyman U. Gingival crevicular fluid prostaglandin E(2) and thiobarbituric acid reactive substance levels in smokers and non-smokers with chronic periodontitis following phase I periodontal therapy and adjunctive use of flurbiprofen. J Periodontol. 2007;78:104-11 pubmed..001). These results suggest that additional flurbiprofen administration may have more inhibitory effects on GCF levels of PGE(2) and TBARS in the groups of smokers compared to non-smokers with CP. ..
- Kurtis B, Tüter G, Serdar M, Akdemir P, Uygur C, Firatli E, et al. Gingival crevicular fluid levels of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha in patients with chronic and aggressive periodontitis. J Periodontol. 2005;76:1849-55 pubmed..A strong positive correlation between the GCF levels of MCP-1 and TNF-alpha may account for the mechanism of amplification of inflammatory events in gingival inflammation. ..
- Sarifakioglu E, Gumus I. Efficacy of topical pimecrolimus in the treatment of chronic vulvar pruritus: a prospective case series--a non-controlled, open-label study. J Dermatolog Treat. 2006;17:276-8 pubmed..Potent topical steroids are the conventional therapy for this distressing condition. Side effects or steroid resistance can be encountered. A second-line therapy is required...
- Sayilir A, Kurt M, Kekilli M, Onal I, Beyazit Y, Turhan N, et al. Diagnostic value of terminal ileum biopsy in chronic diarrhea with normal endoscopic appearance. J Dig Dis. 2011;12:188-92 pubmed publisher..To investigate the diagnostic value of a terminal ileum biopsy in chronic non-bloody diarrhea with normal endoscopic appearance...
- Daskapan A, Arikan H, Caglar N, Tunali N, Ataman S. Comparison of supervised exercise training and home-based exercise training in chronic heart failure. Saudi Med J. 2005;26:842-7 pubmed..Home-based exercise training may be a training alternative to stable chronic heart failure patients who prefer not to participate in an outpatient supervised training program. ..
- Demiroglu Y, Turunc T, Karaca S, Arlier Z, Aliskan H, Colakoglu S, et al. [Neurological involvement in brucellosis; clinical classification, treatment and results]. Mikrobiyol Bul. 2011;45:401-10 pubmed..In addition, a current classification of neurobrucellosis, related to involved location of nervous system, clinical picture and pathogenesis, is needed...
- Sonmez A, Yilmaz M, Mas R, Ozcan A, Celasun B, Dogru T, et al. Subacute cholestatic hepatitis likely related to the use of senna for chronic constipation. Acta Gastroenterol Belg. 2005;68:385-7 pubmed..In this case senna was likely the cause of a subacute cholestatic hepatitis exemplifying again the potential role of herbal related liver injury. ..
- Saygun I, Kubar A, Sahin S, Sener K, Slots J. Quantitative analysis of association between herpesviruses and bacterial pathogens in periodontitis. J Periodontal Res. 2008;43:352-9 pubmed..This study sought to identify associations among human cytomegalovirus, Epstein-Barr virus and six putative periodontopathic bacteria in periodontitis lesions...
- Okumus M, Gokoglu F, Kocaoglu S, Ceceli E, Yorgancioglu Z. Muscle performance in patients with fibromyalgia. Singapore Med J. 2006;47:752-6 pubmed..Further studies are needed to investigate the mechanism of reduced muscle performance and the effects of aerobic exercise in this patient group. ..
- Keskek M, Gocmen E, Kilic M, Gencturk S, Can B, Cengiz M, et al. Increased expression of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) in radiation-induced small bowel injury in rats. J Surg Res. 2006;135:76-84 pubmed..The current study suggests that the COX-2 pathway is involved in radiation induced intestinal injury and that targeting COX-2 may be useful in limiting radiation enteritis. ..
- Onal I, Akdogan M, Oztas E, Balci M, Kurt M, Kacar S, et al. Does interleukin-18 play a role in the pathogenesis of hepatic encephalopathy?. Hepatogastroenterology. 2011;58:497-502 pubmed..6 (13.6-2043.6)] compared with those who had normal hsCRP [75.6 (13.0-753.2)] (p=0.029). There is an inflammatory response in the presence of cirrhosis and HE; and IL-18 may play a role in the perpetuation of chronic inflammation. ..
- Akdogan V, Yilmaz I, Canpolat T, Ozluoglu L. Role of Langerhans cells, Ki-67 protein and apoptosis in acquired cholesteatoma: prospective clinical study. J Laryngol Otol. 2013;127:252-9 pubmed publisher..To investigate the role of Langerhans cells in the pathogenesis and clinical picture of middle-ear cholesteatoma...
- Tasar F, Tumer C, Yulug N, Bayik S. Cervicofacial actinomycosis (a case report). J Marmara Univ Dent Fac. 1994;2:389-91 pubmed..This case report presents a case of cervicofacial actinomycosis in a 14 year old boy which was misdiagnosed for a long time and the treatment of the disease with mezlocillin, a new antibiotic in the treatment of actinomycosis...
- Gunduz K, Shields C, Günalp I, Shields J. Magnetic resonance imaging of unilateral lacrimal gland lesions. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2003;241:907-13 pubmed..To report the findings on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of various benign and malignant unilateral lacrimal gland lesions...
- Yilmaz M, Sonmez A, Ortiz A, Saglam M, Kilic S, Eyileten T, et al. Soluble TWEAK and PTX3 in nondialysis CKD patients: impact on endothelial dysfunction and cardiovascular outcomes. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;6:785-92 pubmed publisher..Now, we hypothesize that both sTWEAK and PTX3 act as biomarkers of cardiovascular outcomes in nondialysis CKD patients...
- Bozoglu E, Dinc A, Erdem H, Pay S, Simsek I, Kocar I. Vascular endothelial growth factor and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in Behçet's patients with venous thrombosis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2005;23:S42-8 pubmed..Although not specific for BD, detection of VEGF or MCP-1 levels seems to serve as an assay for differentiation of BD patients with acute thrombosis from chronic. ..
- Tüter G, Kurtis B, Serdar M, Yucel A, Ayhan E, Karaduman B, et al. Effects of phase I periodontal treatment on gingival crevicular fluid levels of matrix metalloproteinase-3 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1. J Clin Periodontol. 2005;32:1011-5 pubmed..05). This study shows that the clinical improvements after phase I periodontal therapy are accompanied by reduction in MMP-3 and increasing in TIMP-1 GCF levels. ..
- Mandıroğlu S, Ozdilekcan C. Impact of Acupuncture on Chronic Insomnia: A Report of Two Cases with Polysomnographic Evaluation. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2017;10:135-138 pubmed publisher..Clinical studies with more cases with polysomnographic evaluation are necessary to investigate the effectiveness of acupuncture in the treatment of insomnia. ..
- Dogan B, Antinheimo J, Cetiner D, Bodur A, Emingil G, Buduneli E, et al. Subgingival microflora in Turkish patients with periodontitis. J Periodontol. 2003;74:803-14 pubmed..However, A. actinomycetemcomitans was not overrepresented in LAgP, and the serotype distribution resembled that reported from the East. The high frequency of non-serotypeable isolates suggests local characteristics of the species. ..
- Atesalp S, Demiralp B, Ozkal U, Ugurlu M, Bozkurt M, Basbozkurt M. Modified Evans technique improves plantar pressure distribution in lateral ankle instability. Eklem Hastalik Cerrahisi. 2009;20:41-6 pubmed..Modified Evans technique, despite its controversial long-term outcomes in lateral ankle instability, decreases first metatarsal head pressure and initial contact time significantly. ..
- Gurgey A, Balta G, Boyvat A. Factor V Leiden mutation and PAI-1 gene 4G/5G genotype in thrombotic patients with Behcet's disease. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2003;14:121-4 pubmed..These data suggested that the factor V Leiden mutation might be a risk factor for the development of thrombosis in Behcet's disease patients. ..
- Oztas P, Onder M, Gonen S, Oztas M, Soylemezoglu O. Is there any relationship between human leucocyte antigen class II and chronic urticaria? (chronic urticaria and HLA class II). Yonsei Med J. 2004;45:392-5 pubmed..This study supports the hypothesis that HLA alleles may be involved in the pathogenesis of chronic urticaria and that they appear to be directly involved in the initiation of the immune response. ..