Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cell survival in Tainan, Taiwan
Locale: Tainan, Taiwan
Topic: cell survival
- Cheng F, Su C, Wu P, Yeh C. Multifunctional polymeric nanoparticles for combined chemotherapeutic and near-infrared photothermal cancer therapy in vitro and in vivo. Chem Commun (Camb). 2010;46:3167-9 pubmed publisher..Multifunctional Taxol-loaded PLGA nanoparticles show chemotherapeutic and photothermal destruction of cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Cheng J, Shu S, Kuo C, Chou C, Tsai W, Fang Y, et al. Effect of diindolylmethane on Ca(2+) movement and viability in HA59T human hepatoma cells. Arch Toxicol. 2011;85:1257-66 pubmed publisher..Diindolylmethane induced cell death that may involve apoptosis. ..
- Yang T, Ho W, Shih M, Leu K, Wen Y, Liu C. Effects of combination treatment with dexamethasone and mannitol on neuronal damage and survival in experimental heat stroke. Biol Pharm Bull. 2010;33:1522-8 pubmed..Our data suggest that administration of this combined agent seems to have more effective to ameliorate the heat stroke-induced neuronal damage and prolong the ST. ..
- Cheng A, Tsai M, Liu C, Lee M, Nagabhushanam K, Ho C, et al. Garcinol inhibits cell growth in hepatocellular carcinoma Hep3B cells through induction of ROS-dependent apoptosis. Food Funct. 2010;1:301-7 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a promising therapeutic application of garcinol in p53-independent apoptosis in cancers. ..
- Ko S, Lin Y, Lin Y, Chang S. Advanced glycation end products enhance amyloid precursor protein expression by inducing reactive oxygen species. Free Radic Biol Med. 2010;49:474-80 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the combination of AGEs and aggregated Abeta(1-42) increased ROS production and decreased cell viability. We suggest that AGEs participate in AD development and are an important risk factor in the pathogenesis of AD. ..
- Cheng T, Hsieh S, Hsu W, Chen Y, Ho H, Sheu L. Expression of Epstein-Barr nuclear antigen 1 in gastric carcinoma cells is associated with enhanced tumorigenicity and reduced cisplatin sensitivity. Int J Oncol. 2010;36:151-60 pubmed
- Hsieh P, Liu S, Lee T, Huang J, Yin L, Chang W, et al. The role of IL-7 in renal proximal tubule epithelial cells fibrosis. Mol Immunol. 2012;50:74-82 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that IL-7 has the potential to inhibit high glucose-induced renal proximal tubular fibrosis partly by modulating Smads and EMT pathway. ..
- Chen M, Sun Y, Chen Y. Electrically conductive nanofibers with highly oriented structures and their potential application in skeletal muscle tissue engineering. Acta Biomater. 2013;9:5562-72 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrated that a combined effect of both guidance cues was more effective than an individual cue, suggesting a potential use of A-PCL/PANi nanofibers for skeletal muscle regeneration. ..
- Jiang Shieh Y, Yeh K, Wei I, Chang C, Chien H, Tsai R, et al. Responses of microglia in vitro to the gram-positive bacterial component, lipoteichoic acid. J Neurosci Res. 2005;82:515-24 pubmed..In conclusion, staphylococcal LTA can exert an immunomodulatory effect on microglial morphology, cell cycle, and immunomolecules, including its receptors. ..
- Hsiao Y, Chen P, Yeh S, Lin C, Gean P. N-acetylcysteine prevents beta-amyloid toxicity by a stimulatory effect on p35/cyclin-dependent kinase 5 activity in cultured cortical neurons. J Neurosci Res. 2008;86:2685-95 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that NAC-mediated neuroprotection against A beta toxicity is likely mediated by the p35/Cdk5-ERKs-Bcl-2 signal pathway. ..
- Chen Y, Chen Y, Chen Y, Chiu W, Shen M. The STIM1-Orai1 pathway of store-operated Ca2+ entry controls the checkpoint in cell cycle G1/S transition. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22142 pubmed publisher..This study uncovers SOCE-mediated Ca(2+) microdomain that is the molecular basis for the Ca(2+) sensitivity controlling G1/S transition. ..
- Chen J, Chen Y, Yen C, Chen W, Huang W. HBx sensitizes hepatocellular carcinoma cells to lapatinib by up-regulating ErbB3. Oncotarget. 2016;7:473-89 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that HBx shifts the oncogenic addiction of HCC cells to ErbB2/ErbB3 signaling pathway via inducing ErbB3 expression and thereby enhances their sensitivity to EGFR/ErbB2 inhibitors. ..
- Kuo J, Lin Y, Tseng J. Interactions between U-937 human macrophages and tyloxapol. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2008;64:208-15 pubmed publisher..Our findings contribute to a better understanding of the molecular action of tyloxapol in macrophages and how it protects macrophages against endotoxin. ..
- Hou C, Tsai T, Su W, Hsieh H, Yeh C, Shieh D, et al. Pronounced induction of endoplasmic reticulum stress and tumor suppression by surfactant-free poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) nanoparticles via modulation of the PI3K signaling pathway. Int J Nanomedicine. 2013;8:2689-707 pubmed publisher..Finally, SF-LY NPs exhibited a prominent antitumor effect in vivo. The surfactant-free formulation of PLGA is critical to the promising anticancer activity of SF-LY NPs. ..
- Lu C, Lin S, Chen K, Lai Y, Tsai S. Induction of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase-3 by hypoxia-inducible factor-1 promotes metabolic switch and drug resistance. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:28106-14 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrated that increased PDK3 expression due to elevated HIF-1alpha in cancer cells may play critical roles in metabolic switch during cancer progression and chemoresistance in cancer therapy. ..
- Chou T, Ding H, Hung W, Liang C. Antioxidative characteristics and inhibition of alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone-stimulated melanogenesis of vanillin and vanillic acid from Origanum vulgare. Exp Dermatol. 2010;19:742-50 pubmed publisher..These results supported that vanillic acid is a significantly stronger antioxidant than vanillin and exhibited stronger antimelanogenesis performance because of the structural presence of the carboxyl group...
- Huang P, Jheng J, Arnold J, Wang J, Cameron C, Shih S. UGGT1 enhances enterovirus 71 pathogenicity by promoting viral RNA synthesis and viral replication. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006375 pubmed publisher..These findings provide important insight on the role of UPR and host UGGT1 in regulating RNA virus replication and pathogenicity. ..
- Wu S, Tsai J, Chang S, Lin D, Wang S, Huang S, et al. Supercritical carbon dioxide extract exhibits enhanced antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of Physalis peruviana. J Ethnopharmacol. 2006;108:407-13 pubmed..Its protection against LPS-induced inflammation could be through the inhibition of iNOS and COX-2 expression...
- Chiu H, Ho Y, Wang Y. Arsenic trioxide induces autophagy and apoptosis in human glioma cells in vitro and in vivo through downregulation of survivin. J Mol Med (Berl). 2011;89:927-41 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that ATO treatment or survivin inhibition could be a novel therapeutic strategy in malignant gliomas...
- Chuang J, Wu C, Lai M, Chang W, Hung J. Overexpression of Sp1 leads to p53-dependent apoptosis in cancer cells. Int J Cancer. 2009;125:2066-76 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, p53 was an essential factor for Sp1 overexpression-induced apoptotic cell death in transforming cells. ..
- Chang Y, Chen C, Lin C, Lu S, Cheng M, Kuo C, et al. Regulatory role of GSK-3 ? on NF- ? B, nitric oxide, and TNF- ? in group A streptococcal infection. Mediators Inflamm. 2013;2013:720689 pubmed publisher..The inhibition of GSK-3 ? to moderate the inflammatory effect might be an alternative therapeutic strategy against GAS infection. ..
- Wu C, Chang Y, Yu L, Chen H, Jen C, Wu S, et al. Exercise enhances the proliferation of neural stem cells and neurite growth and survival of neuronal progenitor cells in dentate gyrus of middle-aged mice. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2008;105:1585-94 pubmed publisher..Taken together, mandatory running exercise alters the brain chemistries of middle-aged animals toward an environment that is favorable to NSC proliferation, survival, and maturation. ..
- Cheng Y, Huang W, Chen C, Tsai C, Wang C, Chiu W, et al. Increased galectin-3 facilitates leukemia cell survival from apoptotic stimuli. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;412:334-40 pubmed publisher..We found that GSK-3? upregulated galectin-3 and stabilized anti-apoptotic Bcl-2 family proteins, which is important for the escape of leukemia cells from apoptotic stimuli. ..
- Liang C, Wang G, Chou T, Wang S, Lin R, Chan L, et al. 5-epi-Sinuleptolide induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis through tumor necrosis factor/mitochondria-mediated caspase signaling pathway in human skin cancer cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1820:1149-57 pubmed publisher..This is the first report suggesting that the apoptosis mediates the anti-tumor effect of 5-epi-sinuleptolide. The results of this study might provide useful suggestions for designing of anti-tumor drugs for skin cancer patients. ..
- Wu T, Sun C, Lee K. Cytotoxic and anti-HIV phenanthroindolizidine alkaloids from Cryptocarya chinensis. Nat Prod Commun. 2012;7:725-7 pubmed..002 and 0.001 microg/mL, respectively. In addition, 2 is first reported to exhibit significant anti-HIV activity...
- Li M, Luo Y, Lin C, Chang Y, Lu S, Kuo C, et al. Dextromethorphan efficiently increases bactericidal activity, attenuates inflammatory responses, and prevents group a streptococcal sepsis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011;55:967-73 pubmed publisher..The consideration of DM as an adjunct treatment in combination with antibiotics against bacterial infection warrants further study. ..
- Chio C, Lin J, Cheng H, Chiu W, Wang Y, Wang J, et al. MicroRNA-210 targets antiapoptotic Bcl-2 expression and mediates hypoxia-induced apoptosis of neuroblastoma cells. Arch Toxicol. 2013;87:459-68 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study shows that OGD can induce miR-210 expression through activating HIF-1?. And miR-210 can mediate hypoxia-induced neural apoptosis by targeting Bcl-2. ..
- Pelliccia S, Wu Y, Coluccia A, La Regina G, Tseng C, Famiglini V, et al. Inhibition of dengue virus replication by novel inhibitors of RNA-dependent RNA polymerase and protease activities. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem. 2017;32:1091-1101 pubmed publisher..These results describe novel prototypical small anti-DENV molecules for further development through compound modification and provide potential antivirals for treating DENV infection and DENV-related diseases. ..
- Hong J, Guan B, Her G, Evensen O, Santi N, Wu J. Aquatic birnavirus infection activates the transcription factor NF-kappaB via tyrosine kinase signalling leading to cell death. J Fish Dis. 2008;31:451-60 pubmed publisher..i. Taken together our data suggest that IPNV may induce NF-kappaB activation through tyrosine kinase signalling, which may be associated with induction of apoptosis...
- Cheng B, Chang C, Liu W, Lin M. Both mild hypothermia and dopamine D(2) agonist are neuroprotective against hyperthermia-induced injury in PC12 cells. Neurosci Lett. 2008;443:140-4 pubmed publisher..These results indicate the dopamine is important in hyperthermic situations. The results also indicate that mild hypothermia and dopamine D(2) receptor agonists are neuroprotective against hyperthermia-induced brain injury. ..
- Liang C, Chou T, Ding H. Inhibition of melanogensis by a novel origanoside from Origanum vulgare. J Dermatol Sci. 2010;57:170-7 pubmed publisher..However, few have been employed as skin-whitening agents, primarily because of numerous safety concerns...
- Lee H, Chang Y, Tu Y, Huang C. CREB activation mediates VEGF-A's protection of neurons and cerebral vascular endothelial cells. J Neurochem. 2010;113:79-91 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CREB phosphorylation through VEGFR-2/ERK signaling is the shared pathway that underlies VEGF-A's protection of neurons and vascular endothelial cells. ..
- Fang S, Hsu C, Lin H, Yen G. Anticancer effects of flavonoid derivatives isolated from Millettia reticulata Benth in SK-Hep-1 human hepatocellular carcinoma cells. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58:814-20 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that genistein (6) induces apoptosis in SK-Hep-1 cells via both Fas- and mitochondria-mediated pathways...
- Cheng H, Chou C, Liang W, Kuo C, Shieh P, Wang J, et al. Effects of puerarin on intracellular Ca2+ and cell viability of MDCK renal tubular cells. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;52:83-89 pubmed publisher..Puerarin also caused Ca2+-independent cell death. ..
- Yang Y, Chuang C, Yang H, Lu C, Sheu B. Lactobacillus acidophilus ameliorates H. pylori-induced gastric inflammation by inactivating the Smad7 and NF?B pathways. BMC Microbiol. 2012;12:38 pubmed publisher..This study examines if probiotics can improve H. pylori-induced gastric inflammation by inactivating the Smad7 and NF?B pathways...
- Shih M, Cherng J. Protective effects of Chlorella-derived peptide against UVC-induced cytotoxicity through inhibition of caspase-3 activity and reduction of the expression of phosphorylated FADD and cleaved PARP-1 in skin fibroblasts. Molecules. 2012;17:9116-28 pubmed publisher..This study shows that treatment of CDP provides protective effects against UVC-induced cytotoxicity through the inhibition of caspase-3 activity and the reduction of phosphorylated FADD and cleaved PARP-1 expression. ..
- Wu S, Tsai J, Lai M, Ng L. Armillariella mellea shows anti-inflammatory activity by inhibiting the expression of NO, iNOS, COX-2 and cytokines in THP-1 cells. Am J Chin Med. 2007;35:507-16 pubmed..Therefore, the protective effect of EAM against LPS-induced inflammatory mediators release could explain, at least in part, its effectiveness in alleviating certain inflammatory related diseases. ..
- Leung H, Lin C, Hour M, Yang W, Wang M, Lee H. Kaempferol induces apoptosis in human lung non-small carcinoma cells accompanied by an induction of antioxidant enzymes. Food Chem Toxicol. 2007;45:2005-13 pubmed..The overexpression of antioxidant enzyme Mn SOD protein levels, which was promoted to a new type tumor suppressor gene in several human cancer cells recently, may be an important role in kaempferol-induced H460 cell apoptosis. ..
- Hsu Y, Chang S, Wang M, Chen Y, Huang T. Growth inhibition and apoptosis of neuroblastoma cells through ROS-independent MEK/ERK activation by sulforaphane. Cell Biochem Biophys. 2013;66:765-74 pubmed publisher..Results were confirmed by MTT assay, which demonstrated the cytotoxic activity of SFN against SH-SY5Y cells (IC50 values of 20 ?M). ..
- Yu Y, Lin C, Chan H, Tsai H. Carnosic acid reduces cytokine-induced adhesion molecules expression and monocyte adhesion to endothelial cells. Eur J Nutr. 2009;48:101-6 pubmed publisher..We propose that the reduction in binding of human monocytic cell line U937 to IL-1beta-treated HUVECs is due to the anti-inflammatory properties of carnosic acid. ..
- Wang W, Uen Y, Chang M, Cheah K, Li J, Yu W, et al. Protective effect of guggulsterone against cardiomyocyte injury induced by doxorubicin in vitro. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012;12:138 pubmed publisher..These data provide considerable evidence that GS could serve as a novel cardioprotective agent against DOX-induced cardiotoxicity. ..
- Liang C, Wang G, Liaw C, Lee M, Wang S, Cheng D, et al. Extracts from Cladiella australis, Clavularia viridis and Klyxum simplex (soft corals) are capable of inhibiting the growth of human oral squamous cell carcinoma cells. Mar Drugs. 2008;6:595-606 pubmed publisher..Thereby, it is possible that extracts of C. australis, C. viridis and K. simplex cause apoptosis of SCCs and warrant further research investigating the possible anti-oral cancer compounds in these soft corals. ..
- Kuo J, Jan M, Lin Y. Interactions between U-937 human macrophages and poly(propyleneimine) dendrimers. J Control Release. 2007;120:51-9 pubmed..Our findings provide a novel insight into the cytotoxic effects at the molecular level that dendrimers cause in macrophages. ..
- Chen R, Ho Y, Guo H, Wang Y. Long-term nicotine exposure-induced chemoresistance is mediated by activation of Stat3 and downregulation of ERK1/2 via nAChR and beta-adrenoceptors in human bladder cancer cells. Toxicol Sci. 2010;115:118-30 pubmed publisher..Stat3 could be the major target for increasing chemosensitivity in patients who develop chemoresistance during chemotherapy, and avoidance of cigarette smoking or nicotine-based treatments may increase the efficacy of chemotherapy. ..
- Su Y, Wu J, Hong J. Betanodavirus up-regulates chaperone GRP78 via ER stress: roles of GRP78 in viral replication and host mitochondria-mediated cell death. Apoptosis. 2011;16:272-87 pubmed publisher..These results may provide new insights into the mechanism of ER stress-mediated cell death in RNA viruses...
- Wu W, Hsiao J, Lian Y, Lin C, Huang B. The apoptotic effect of cordycepin on human OEC-M1 oral cancer cell line. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2007;60:103-11 pubmed..05) in 12, 24 and 48 h cordycepin treatment. These results further confirmed the apoptotic event. In conclusion, cordycepin significantly induced cell apoptotsis in OEC-M1 human oral squamous cancer cells. ..
- Chen S, Yang H, Lin H, Chen M, Wu J, Hong J. Enhanced viability of a nervous necrosis virus-infected stable cell line over-expressing a fusion product of the zfBcl-xL and green fluorescent protein genes. J Fish Dis. 2006;29:347-54 pubmed..We conclude that NNV-induced apoptotic cell death can be lessened in transgenic grouper fish cells...
- Hsieh H, Hsieh Y, Huang Y, Shen F, Tsai H, Tsai J, et al. HHR23A, a human homolog of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Rad23, regulates xeroderma pigmentosum C protein and is required for nucleotide excision repair. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;335:181-7 pubmed..Co-immunoprecipitation experiments revealed that hHR23A was associated with a small portion of hHR23B and the majority of p53 protein, indicating that hHR23A regulates the function of XPC by its association with the NER activator p53. ..
- Chang C, Lui T, Lin J, Lin Y, Hsing C, Wang J, et al. Roles of microRNA-1 in hypoxia-induced apoptotic insults to neuronal cells. Arch Toxicol. 2016;90:191-202 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study shows that miR-1 can target HSP-70 expression and consequently mediate hypoxia-induced apoptotic insults to neuro-2a cells via an intrinsic Bax-mitochondrion-caspase protease pathway. ..
- Huang C, Wang J, Kikkawa U, Mukai H, Shen M, Morita I, et al. Calcineurin-mediated dephosphorylation of c-Jun Ser-243 is required for c-Jun protein stability and cell transformation. Oncogene. 2008;27:2422-9 pubmed..Our results suggest that CaN stabilizes c-Jun by dephosphorylating c-Jun at Ser-243 to enhance its tumorigenic ability. ..
- Kuo Y, Huang K, Yang C, Yang Y, Lee W, Chiang C. Regulation of phosphorylation of Thr-308 of Akt, cell proliferation, and survival by the B55alpha regulatory subunit targeting of the protein phosphatase 2A holoenzyme to Akt. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:1882-92 pubmed..12 cells upon interleukin-3 deprivation. Together, our data demonstrate that B55alpha-dependent targeting of the PP2A holoenzyme to Akt selectively regulates Akt phosphorylation at Thr-308 to regulate cell proliferation and survival. ..
- Yu Y, Lin H. Curcumin prevents human aortic smooth muscle cells migration by inhibiting of MMP-9 expression. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2010;20:125-32 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties and may prevent the migration of HASMCs by suppressing MMP-9 expression through down-regulation of NF-kappaB. ..
- Lee K, Chen Y, Yeh S, Hsiao M, Lin J, Goan Y, et al. MicroRNA-330 acts as tumor suppressor and induces apoptosis of prostate cancer cells through E2F1-mediated suppression of Akt phosphorylation. Oncogene. 2009;28:3360-70 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this is the first study to show that E2F1 is negatively regulated by miR-330 and also show that miR-330 induces apoptosis in prostate cancer cells through E2F1-mediated suppression of Akt phosphorylation. ..
- Liu C, Tsai A, Chen Y, Fan S, Huang C, Wu C, et al. Facilitation of human osteoblast apoptosis by sulindac and indomethacin under hypoxic injury. J Cell Biochem. 2012;113:148-55 pubmed publisher..Significant delay of fracture healing in bone tissue was also observed with the treatment of IND. These results provide information pertaining to choosing appropriate anti-inflammatory drugs for orthopedic patients. ..
- Yang M, Chang C, Lei H. Endothelial cells are damaged by autophagic induction before hepatocytes in Con A-induced acute hepatitis. Int Immunol. 2010;22:661-70 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, Con A induced autophagy on hepatic endothelial cells; the damage of liver blood vessel occurs before the induction of T-cell-dependent hepatitis via apoptosis or T-cell-independent hepatitis via autophagy. ..