Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on lipid peroxidation in Taiwan
Topic: lipid peroxidation
- Hsiao G, Teng C, Sheu J, Cheng Y, Lam K, Lee Y, et al. Cinnamophilin as a novel antiperoxidative cytoprotectant and free radical scavenger. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2001;1525:77-88 pubmed..Furthermore, cinnamophilin exerted a divergent effect on the respiratory burst of human neutrophil by different stimulators. Our results show that cinnamophilin acts as a novel antioxidant and cytoprotectant against oxidative damage. ..
- Adam S, Giribabu N, Kassim N, Kumar K, Brahmayya M, Arya A, et al. Protective effect of aqueous seed extract of Vitis Vinifera against oxidative stress, inflammation and apoptosis in the pancreas of adult male rats with diabetes mellitus. Biomed Pharmacother. 2016;81:439-52 pubmed publisher..In conclusions, administration of VVSAE to diabetic rats could help to protect the pancreas against oxidative stress, inflammation and apoptosis-induced damage while preserving pancreatic function near normal in diabetes. ..
- Lee C, Ko H, Lin C, Chai C, Chen W, Yen F. Artocarpin attenuates ultraviolet B-induced skin damage in hairless mice by antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect. Food Chem Toxicol. 2013;60:123-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we suggested that artocarpin could be a useful photoprotective agent in medicine and/or cosmetics. ..
- Wu P, Chiang T, Chen M, Lee C, Chen P, Ko A, et al. A characterization of the antioxidant enzyme activity and reproductive toxicity in male rats following sub-chronic exposure to areca nut extracts. J Hazard Mater. 2010;178:541-6 pubmed publisher..Such effects reflect that ANE administration resulted in reactive oxygen species (ROS)-induced oxidative stress in the testis, cauda epididymis, and sperm of male rats. ..
- Ko T, Weng Y, Chiou R. Squalene content and antioxidant activity of Terminalia catappa leaves and seeds. J Agric Food Chem. 2002;50:5343-8 pubmed..However, the seed extracts only exhibited potent inhibition of CDHP formation and very low DPPH scavenging activity. ..
- Huang K, Li Y, Kuo C, Twu Y, Shieh C. Highly Efficient Synthesis of an Emerging Lipophilic Antioxidant: 2-Ethylhexyl Ferulate. Molecules. 2016;21:478 pubmed publisher..Notably, this approach can reduce the enzyme denaturation and ferulic acid oxidation that usually occur during long-term biosynthetic operations at high temperature. ..
- Yang C, Cheng C, Liu S, Lo C, Lee J, Peng K. Identification of antibacterial mechanism of L-amino acid oxidase derived from Trichoderma harzianum ETS 323. FEBS J. 2011;278:3381-94 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results indicate that the processes of bacterial interaction, membrane permeabilization and H(2)O(2) production are involved in the mechanism responsible for the antibacterial activity of Th-LAAO. ..
- Kuo P, Damu A, Cherng C, Jeng J, Teng C, Lee E, et al. Isolation of a natural antioxidant, dehydrozingerone from Zingiber officinale and synthesis of its analogues for recognition of effective antioxidant and antityrosinase agents. Arch Pharm Res. 2005;28:518-28 pubmed..From the present study, it was observed that both number and position of hydroxyl groups on aromatic ring and a double bond between C-3 and C-4 played a critical role in exerting the antioxidant and antityrosinase activity. ..
- Cheng H, Lin T, Yu K, Yang C, Lin C. Antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities of Terminalia chebula. Biol Pharm Bull. 2003;26:1331-5 pubmed..chebula exhibited antioxidant activity at different magnitudes of potency. The antioxidant activity of each pure compound was derived from different pathways and was suggested to be specific. ..
- You J, Huang H, Chang Y. Panax ginseng reduces adriamycin-induced heart failure in rats. Phytother Res. 2005;19:1018-22 pubmed..These findings indicated that ginseng may be partially protective against adriamycin-induced heart failure. ..
- Hung C. Importance of histamine, glutathione and oxyradicals in modulating gastric haemorrhagic ulcer in septic rats. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2000;27:306-12 pubmed..6. In conclusion, gastric mucosal histamine release and oxyradical generation play pivotal roles in the formation of haemorrhagic ulcers in septic rats. ..
- Wang J, Shieh M, Kuo S, Lee C, Pan T. Effect of red mold rice on antifatigue and exercise-related changes in lipid peroxidation in endurance exercise. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2006;70:247-53 pubmed..Besides, the result suggested that the red mold rice supplementation may decrease the contribution of exercise-induced oxidative stress and improve the physiological condition of the rats. ..
- Wang J, Lin H, Cheng M, Wong M. Chronic intermittent hypoxia modulates eosinophil- and neutrophil-platelet aggregation and inflammatory cytokine secretion caused by strenuous exercise in men. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2007;103:305-14 pubmed..Furthermore, SIH simultaneously increases circulatory anti-inflammatory IL-6 and IL-10 concentrations. These findings can help to develop effective IH regimens that improve aerobic fitness and minimize risk of thromboinflammation. ..
- Chen S, Wang C, Lin F, Young T. Absent effect of zinc deficiency on the oxidative stress of erythrocytes in chronic uremic rats. Chin J Physiol. 2002;45:9-17 pubmed..Plasma copper level may be a marker of RBC-SOD activity. We conclude, in chronic uremia, zinc deficiency doses not result in RBC oxidative stress as plasma copper level is normal, but may affect the absorption of intestinal nutrition. ..
- Huang C, Hu H, Tsai Y, Chang W. In vitro effects of Monascus purpureus on antioxidation activity during fermentation of Kinmen sorghum liquor waste. J Biosci Bioeng. 2013;115:418-23 pubmed publisher..Thus, KSL shows considerable potential as an antioxidant in functional foods. This is the first report on the use of Monascus species in the conversion of KSL to produce antioxidants...
- Tsai C, Lu F, Hsu Y. Protective effects of Dunaliella salina - a carotenoids-rich alga - against ultraviolet B-induced corneal oxidative damage in mice. Mol Vis. 2012;18:1540-7 pubmed..The purpose of this study was to investigate the protective effects of Dunaliella salina (D. salina) on UVB radiation-induced corneal oxidative damage in male imprinting control region (ICR) mice...
- Kan N, Huang W, Lin W, Huang C, Wen K, Chiang H, et al. Hepatoprotective effects of Ixora parviflora extract against exhaustive exercise-induced oxidative stress in mice. Molecules. 2013;18:10721-32 pubmed publisher..Results of the present in vivo study in mice indicate that I. parviflora extract possesses antioxidative and hepatoprotective potential following exhaustive exercise. ..
- Huang T, Lu K, Wo Y, Wu Y, Yang Y. Resveratrol protects rats from A?-induced neurotoxicity by the reduction of iNOS expression and lipid peroxidation. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e29102 pubmed publisher..These findings strongly implicate that iNOS is involved in the A?-induced lipid peroxidation and HO-1 downregulation, and resveratrol protects animals from A?-induced neurotoxicity by suppressing iNOS production. ..
- Huang W, Lee A, Yang C. Antioxidative and anti-inflammatory activities of polyhydroxyflavonoids of Scutellaria baicalensis GEORGI. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2006;70:2371-80 pubmed..9% inhibition, p<0.05) in its anti-inflammatory activity against carrageenan-induced rat hind paw edema. There was a correlation between the in-vivo anti-inflammatory activity and the in-vitro antioxidative activities...
- Lee C, Kung Y, Wu C, Hsu Y, Pan T. Monascin and ankaflavin act as novel hypolipidemic and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol-raising agents in red mold dioscorea. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58:9013-9 pubmed publisher..This finding not only explained why RMD showed greater hypolipidemic and HDL-C-raising effect than RMR but also proved that monascin and ankaflavin would act as novel and potent hypolipidemic ingredients. ..
- Yao H, Chang Y, Chen C, Chiang M, Chang L, Yeh T. Shengmai San reduces hepatic lipids and lipid peroxidation in rats fed on a high-cholesterol diet. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;116:49-57 pubmed..No significant difference in activities of GSH-Px, GST and SOD was found in liver and heart after the SMS treatment. Results from this study indicate that the SMS may reduce hepatic lipids and lipid peroxidation in rats. ..
- Tsai C, Chen H, Chen S, Ho Y, Ho K, Wu Y, et al. Lipid peroxidation: a possible role in the induction and progression of chronic periodontitis. J Periodontal Res. 2005;40:378-84 pubmed..05), increase in GSH concentration (p < 0.001), and no change in GPx activity in saliva samples. The increased levels of lipid peroxidation may play a role in the inflammation and destruction of the periodontium in periodontitis. ..
- Tsai S, Yin M. Antioxidative and anti-inflammatory protection of oleanolic acid and ursolic acid in PC12 cells. J Food Sci. 2008;73:H174-8 pubmed publisher..05). Based on the observed antioxidative and anti-inflammatory activities from OA and UA, these 2 compounds were potent agents against neurodegenerative disorder. ..
- Cheng H, Hsieh M, Wu C, Tsai F, Lu T, Hsieh C, et al. Schizandrin protects primary cultures of rat cortical cells from glutamate-induced excitotoxicity. J Pharmacol Sci. 2008;107:21-31 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that schizandrin protected primary cultures of rat cortical cells against Glu-induced apoptosis through a mitochondria-mediated pathway and oxidative stress. ..
- Ho Y, Ma H, Chang H, Wei B, Lee C, Ho S, et al. Lipid peroxidation and cell death mechanisms in rats and human cells induced by chloral hydrate. Food Chem Toxicol. 2003;41:621-9 pubmed..Further studies are needed to evaluate the relationship between caspases activation and the cleavage of other death substrates during postmitotic apoptosis in human lymphocytes...
- Yu H, Wang B, Huang S, Duh P. Comparison of protective effects between cultured Cordyceps militaris and natural Cordyceps sinensis against oxidative damage. J Agric Food Chem. 2006;54:3132-8 pubmed..On the basis of the results obtained, the protective effects of CME and CSE against oxidative damage of biomolecules are a result of their free radical scavenging abilities...
- Shieh Y, Liu C, Huang Y, Yang J, Wu I, Lin C, et al. Evaluation of the hepatic and renal-protective effects of Ganoderma lucidum in mice. Am J Chin Med. 2001;29:501-7 pubmed..Ganoderma extract could protect the liver and kidney from superoxide induced hepatic and renal damages. ..
- Hseu Y, Chang W, Hseu Y, Lee C, Yech Y, Chen P, et al. Protection of oxidative damage by aqueous extract from Antrodia camphorata mycelia in normal human erythrocytes. Life Sci. 2002;71:469-82 pubmed..These results imply that A. camphorata mycelia may have protective antioxidant and anticancer properties. ..
- Kao E, Hsu J, Wang C, Yang S, Cheng S, Lee H. Polyphenols extracted from Hibiscus sabdariffa L. inhibited lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammation by improving antioxidative conditions and regulating cyclooxygenase-2 expression. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009;73:385-90 pubmed..The study also revealed that down-regulation of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), p-c-Jun N-terminal kinase (p-JNK) and p-P38 might have been involved. In sum, this study found an anti-inflammatory potency of HPE both in vitro and in vivo...
- Tang Y, Wang S, Lin S. Both inorganic and organic selenium supplements can decrease brain monoamine oxidase B enzyme activity in adult rats. Br J Nutr. 2008;100:660-5 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present study indicates that inorganic or organic Se supplementation can decrease the brain MAO-B enzyme activity in adult rats and can be accomplished by the effect of the Se antioxidation capability. ..
- Huang S, Cheng H, Tang C, Nien M, Huang Y, Lee I, et al. Anti-oxidative, anti-apoptotic, and pro-angiogenic effects mediate functional improvement by sonic hedgehog against focal cerebral ischemia in rats. Exp Neurol. 2013;247:680-8 pubmed publisher..Our results thus revealed multifaceted protective mechanisms of SHH-N against focal cerebral ischemia/reperfusion. ..
- Tsai T, Yu C, Chang Y, Lin Y, Huang C, Kuo Y, et al. Protective Effect of Caffeic Acid Derivatives on tert-Butyl Hydroperoxide-Induced Oxidative Hepato-Toxicity and Mitochondrial Dysfunction in HepG2 Cells. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that CA derivatives might be a hepatoprotective agent against oxidative stress. ..
- Lin M, Yen J, Weng C, Wang L, Ha C, Wu M. Lipid peroxidation end product 4-hydroxy-trans-2-nonenal triggers unfolded protein response and heme oxygenase-1 expression in PC12 cells: Roles of ROS and MAPK pathways. Toxicology. 2014;315:24-37 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that 4-HNE-induced transient p38 MAPK activation may serve as an upstream negative regulator of ER stress and confer adaptive cytoprotection against 4-HNE-mediated cell injury...
- Yu W, Chang C, Kuo T, Tsai T, Chang S. Toona sinensis Roem leaf extracts improve antioxidant activity in the liver of rats under oxidative stress. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50:1860-5 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we provide the strong in vivo evidences for the first time that TSL extracts ameliorate the antioxidant enzymes (AOEs) activity in liver and is beneficial for the hepatic detoxification. ..
- Song T, Chen C, Liao J, Ou H, Tsai M. Ergothioneine protects against neuronal injury induced by cisplatin both in vitro and in vivo. Food Chem Toxicol. 2010;48:3492-9 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that EGT protects against cisplatin-induced neuronal injury and enhances cognition, possibly through the inhibition of oxidative stress and restoration of AChE activity in neuronal cells. ..
- Yang T, Lin F, Chen Y, Chiu J, Shiao M, Tsai C, et al. Salvianolic acid B inhibits low-density lipoprotein oxidation and neointimal hyperplasia in endothelium-denuded hypercholesterolaemic rabbits. J Sci Food Agric. 2011;91:134-41 pubmed publisher..In this study the in vitro and in vivo inhibitory effects of Sal B on oxidative stress were determined...
- Hsu C, Chiu Y. Ambient temperature influences aging in an annual fish (Nothobranchius rachovii). Aging Cell. 2009;8:726-37 pubmed publisher..We concluded that cellular metabolism, energy utilization and gene expression are altered at lower ambient temperature, which is associated with the extension of lifespan of the annual fish...
- Hsieh T, Liu T, Chia Y, Chern C, Lu F, Chuang M, et al. Protective effect of methyl gallate from Toona sinensis (Meliaceae) against hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative stress and DNA damage in MDCK cells. Food Chem Toxicol. 2004;42:843-50 pubmed..The underlying mechanisms involved scavenging of intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS), inhibition of lipid peroxidation and prevention of intracellular GSH depletion...
- Yeh C, Huang W, Yen G. Antihypertensive effects of Hsian-tsao and its active compound in spontaneously hypertensive rats. J Nutr Biochem. 2009;20:866-75 pubmed publisher..0 h administration was 0.92 micromol/L. These findings indicate that a supplement of Hsian-tsao may prevent development of increased blood pressure and enhance the total antioxidant status in vivo. ..