Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on species specificity in Lausanne, Vaud, Switzerland
Locale: Lausanne, Vaud, Switzerland
Topic: species specificity
- Broennimann O, Treier U, Müller Schärer H, Thuiller W, Peterson A, Guisan A. Evidence of climatic niche shift during biological invasion. Ecol Lett. 2007;10:701-9 pubmed..Climate matching is thus a useful approach to identify areas at risk of introduction and establishment of newly or not-yet-introduced neophytes, but may not predict the full extent of invasions. ..
- Ventura M, Canchaya C, Meylan V, Klaenhammer T, Zink R. Analysis, characterization, and loci of the tuf genes in lactobacillus and bifidobacterium species and their direct application for species identification. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2003;69:6908-22 pubmed..In contrast, bioinformatic and transcriptional analyses of the DNA region flanking the tuf gene in four Lactobacillus species indicated the same four-gene unit and suggested a novel tuf operon specific for the genus Lactobacillus. ..
- Roulin A, Wink M, Salamin N. Selection on a eumelanic ornament is stronger in the tropics than in temperate zones in the worldwide-distributed barn owl. J Evol Biol. 2009;22:345-54 pubmed publisher..This was, however, verified in the northern hemisphere only. Parasites being particularly abundant in the tropics, they may promote the evolution of darker eumelanic ornaments. ..
- Privman E, Wurm Y, Keller L. Duplication and concerted evolution in a master sex determiner under balancing selection. Proc Biol Sci. 2013;280:20122968 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that concerted evolution plays an adaptive role in the evolution of this gene family...
- Purcell J, Chapuisat M. The influence of social structure on brood survival and development in a socially polymorphic ant: insights from a cross-fostering experiment. J Evol Biol. 2012;25:2288-97 pubmed publisher..Overall, the social backgrounds of the parents and of the rearing workers appear to shape distinct survival and developmental traits of ant brood...
- Koch U, Radtke F. Notch in T-ALL: new players in a complex disease. Trends Immunol. 2011;32:434-42 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize and update more recent findings on the molecular mechanisms of T-ALL with a particular emphasis on the oncogenic properties of aberrant NOTCH1 signaling. ..
- Dorin Semblat D, Schmitt S, Semblat J, Sicard A, Reininger L, Goldring D, et al. Plasmodium falciparum NIMA-related kinase Pfnek-1: sex specificity and assessment of essentiality for the erythrocytic asexual cycle. Microbiology. 2011;157:2785-94 pubmed publisher..A medium-throughput screen of a small-molecule library provides proof of concept that recombinant Pfnek-1 can be used as a target in drug discovery. ..
- Dorcey E, Rodríguez Villalón A, Salinas P, Santuari L, Pradervand S, Harshman K, et al. Context-dependent dual role of SKI8 homologs in mRNA synthesis and turnover. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002652 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly then, transgenic ScSKI8 rescued all aspects of the vip3 phenotype, suggesting that the dual role of SKI8 depends on species-specific cellular context. ..
- Imbeault M, Helleboid P, Trono D. KRAB zinc-finger proteins contribute to the evolution of gene regulatory networks. Nature. 2017;543:550-554 pubmed publisher..Together, our results demonstrate that KZFPs partner with transposable elements to build a largely species-restricted layer of epigenetic regulation. ..
- Koch U, Lehal R, Radtke F. Stem cells living with a Notch. Development. 2013;140:689-704 pubmed publisher..The focus of this Review is the role of Notch signaling in stem cells, comparing insights from flies, fish and mice to highlight similarities, as well as differences, between species, tissues and stem cell compartments. ..
- Leong Morgenthaler P, Zwahlen M, Hottinger H. Lactose metabolism in Lactobacillus bulgaricus: analysis of the primary structure and expression of the genes involved. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:1951-7 pubmed..coli, but the residues which are involved in the binding and the transport of lactose are conserved. The carboxy terminus is similar to that of the enzyme III of several phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent phosphotransferase systems...
- Rotger M, Dalmau J, Rauch A, McLaren P, Bosinger S, Martinez R, et al. Comparative transcriptomics of extreme phenotypes of human HIV-1 infection and SIV infection in sooty mangabey and rhesus macaque. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:2391-400 pubmed publisher..This work characterizes 2 minimally studied clinical patterns of progression to AIDS, whose analysis may inform our understanding of HIV pathogenesis...
- Maillard P, Ecco G, Ortiz M, Trono D. The specificity of TRIM5 alpha-mediated restriction is influenced by its coiled-coil domain. J Virol. 2010;84:5790-801 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the PRYSPRY and coiled-coil domains cooperate to determine the specificity of TRIM5 alpha-mediated capture of retroviral capsids, shedding new light on this complex event...
- Lo Presti L, Cockell M, Cerutti L, Simanis V, Hauser P. Functional characterization of Pneumocystis carinii brl1 by transspecies complementation analysis. Eukaryot Cell. 2007;6:2448-52 pubmed..The ectopic expression of this gene rescues null alleles of essential nuclear membrane proteins of the Brr6/Brl1 family in both yeasts...
- Masclaux F, Bruessow F, Schweizer F, Gouhier Darimont C, Keller L, Reymond P. Transcriptome analysis of intraspecific competition in Arabidopsis thaliana reveals organ-specific signatures related to nutrient acquisition and general stress response pathways. BMC Plant Biol. 2012;12:227 pubmed publisher..The outcome is a unique response that involves genes related to light, nutrient deficiency, abiotic stress, and defence responses. ..
- Baïsse B, Galisson F, Giraud S, Schapira M, Spertini O. Evolutionary conservation of P-selectin glycoprotein ligand-1 primary structure and function. BMC Evol Biol. 2007;7:166 pubmed..Functional assays reveal a critical role for post-translational modifications in regulating mammalian PSGL-1 interactions with selectins. ..
- Germond J, Mamin O, Mollet B. Species specific identification of nine human Bifidobacterium spp. in feces. Syst Appl Microbiol. 2002;25:536-43 pubmed..or directly from total bacteria recovered from human fecal samples. The technique was shown to be useful to detect dominant species and, when primers were used in separate reactions, underrepresented species could be identified as well...
- Pacheco Villalobos D, Sankar M, Ljung K, Hardtke C. Disturbed local auxin homeostasis enhances cellular anisotropy and reveals alternative wiring of auxin-ethylene crosstalk in Brachypodium distachyon seminal roots. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003564 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results reveal a delicate homeostasis of local auxin and ethylene activity to control cell elongation in Brachypodium roots and suggest alternative wiring of auxin-ethylene crosstalk as compared to Arabidopsis. ..
- Pellet J, Haefliger J, Staple J, Widmann C, Welker E, Hirling H, et al. Spatial, temporal and subcellular localization of islet-brain 1 (IB1), a homologue of JIP-1, in mouse brain. Eur J Neurosci. 2000;12:621-32 pubmed
- Panchaud A, Guy L, Collyn F, Haenni M, Nakata M, Podbielski A, et al. M-protein and other intrinsic virulence factors of Streptococcus pyogenes are encoded on an ancient pathogenicity island. BMC Genomics. 2009;10:198 pubmed publisher..pyogenes speciation. Its potential excision might bear relevance for vaccine development, because vaccines targeting M-protein might select for M-protein-negative variants that still carry other virulence determinants. ..
- Yannic G, Basset P, Hausser J. Chromosomal rearrangements and gene flow over time in an inter-specific hybrid zone of the Sorex araneus group. Heredity (Edinb). 2009;102:616-25 pubmed publisher..This further supports the role of chromosomal rearrangements on gene flow between these taxa...
- Rosso L, Marques A, Reichert A, Kaessmann H. Mitochondrial targeting adaptation of the hominoid-specific glutamate dehydrogenase driven by positive Darwinian selection. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000150 pubmed publisher..We suggest that rapid, selectively driven subcellular adaptation, as exemplified by GLUD2, represents a common route underlying the emergence of new gene functions...
- Ometto L, Ross K, Shoemaker D, Keller L. Disruption of gene expression in hybrids of the fire ants Solenopsis invicta and Solenopsis richteri. Mol Ecol. 2012;21:2488-501 pubmed publisher..richteri. Altogether, our results suggest that selection acting on each caste may contribute differently to interspecific divergence and speciation in this group of ants. ..
- Iversen C, Lehner A, Mullane N, Bidlas E, Cleenwerck I, Marugg J, et al. The taxonomy of Enterobacter sakazakii: proposal of a new genus Cronobacter gen. nov. and descriptions of Cronobacter sakazakii comb. nov. Cronobacter sakazakii subsp. sakazakii, comb. nov., Cronobacter sakazakii subsp. malonaticus subsp. nov., Crono. BMC Evol Biol. 2007;7:64 pubmed..The phenotypic profiles of the genomospecies were determined and biochemical markers identified. This study clarifies the taxonomy of E. sakazakii and proposes a reclassification of these organisms. ..
- Wang J, Jemielity S, Uva P, Wurm Y, Graff J, Keller L. An annotated cDNA library and microarray for large-scale gene-expression studies in the ant Solenopsis invicta. Genome Biol. 2007;8:R9 pubmed..From a normalized cDNA library we obtained 21,715 ESTs, which represent 11,864 putatively different transcripts with very diverse molecular functions. All ESTs were used to construct a cDNA microarray. ..
- Brunner H, Lugon Moulin N, Hausser J. Alps, genes, and chromosomes: their role in the formation of species in the Sorex araneus group (Mammalia, Insectivora), as inferred from two hybrid zones. Cytogenet Genome Res. 2002;96:85-96 pubmed..Genic and chromosomal introgression was observed in Les Houches, but not in Haslital. The possible influence of a river, separating the two species at Les Houches, on gene flow is discussed...