Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on escherichia coli in Zurich, Switzerland
Locale: Zurich, Switzerland
Topic: escherichia coli
Publications141 found, 100 shown here
- Chen F, Gerber S, Heuser K, Korkhov V, Lizak C, Mireku S, et al. High-mass matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-mass spectrometry of integral membrane proteins and their complexes. Anal Chem. 2013;85:3483-8 pubmed publisher..This thus adds a valuable tool for biophysical characterization of integral membrane proteins. ..
- Dahinden P, Auchli Y, Granjon T, Taralczak M, Wild M, Dimroth P. Oxaloacetate decarboxylase of Vibrio cholerae: purification, characterization, and expression of the genes in Escherichia coli. Arch Microbiol. 2005;183:121-9 pubmed publisher..The two oad gene clusters were heterologously expressed in Escherichia coli, and the decarboxylases were isolated from the host cells...
- Kaldis P, Furter R, Wallimann T. The N-terminal heptapeptide of mitochondrial creatine kinase is important for octamerization. Biochemistry. 1994;33:952-9 pubmed..The role of dimer-octamer interconversion in vivo as a possible regulator of contact site formation and of mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation is discussed. ..
- Zweifel C, Blanco J, Blanco M, Blanco J, Stephan R. Serotypes and virulence genes of ovine non-O157 Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli in Switzerland. Int J Food Microbiol. 2004;95:19-27 pubmed..Nevertheless, as long as the contribution and interaction of these factors in milder disease remains unclear P, a certain risk for humans cannot be excluded. ..
- Marty C, Scheidegger P, Ballmer Hofer K, Klemenz R, Schwendener R. Production of functionalized single-chain Fv antibody fragments binding to the ED-B domain of the B-isoform of fibronectin in Pichia pastoris. Protein Expr Purif. 2001;21:156-64 pubmed..Our results indicate that the P. pastoris expression system is useful for the large-scale production of cysteine-functionalized alpha-ED-B scFv antibody fragments. ..
- Schwarz F, Fan Y, Schubert M, Aebi M. Cytoplasmic N-glycosyltransferase of Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae is an inverting enzyme and recognizes the NX(S/T) consensus sequence. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:35267-74 pubmed publisher..The identification of an enzyme that integrates some of the features of OST in a cytoplasmic pathway defines a novel class of N-linked protein glycosylation found in pathogenic bacteria...
- Kunzler M, Bleuler Martinez S, Butschi A, Garbani M, Lüthy P, Hengartner M, et al. Biotoxicity assays for fruiting body lectins and other cytoplasmic proteins. Methods Enzymol. 2010;480:141-50 pubmed publisher..All three assays are based on heterologous expression of the examined proteins in the cytoplasm of Escherichia coli and feeding of these recombinant bacteria to omnivorous and bacterivorous organisms. ..
- Kadarmideen H. Biochemical, ECF18R, and RYR1 gene polymorphisms and their associations with osteochondral diseases and production traits in pigs. Biochem Genet. 2008;46:41-53 pubmed..These results should be useful in selection and for further functional genomics and proteomics investigations. ..
- Kertesz M, Leisinger T, Cook A. Proteins induced by sulfate limitation in Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas putida, or Staphylococcus aureus. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:1187-90 pubmed..aureus was seen to increase by up to 140-fold, suggesting that the proteins induced under these conditions may be involved in sulfur metabolism. We propose that these proteins are members of a sulfate starvation-induced stimulon. ..
- Eberhard J, Bischoff M, Raesecke H, Amrhein N, Schmid J. Isolation of a cDNA from tomato coding for an unregulated, cytosolic chorismate mutase. Plant Mol Biol. 1996;31:917-22 pubmed..coli was not regulated by the three aromatic amino acids. Characteristics of the sequence and of the enzymatic activity suggest that the identified cDNA encodes a cytosolic, unregulated CM-2 type chorismate mutase. ..
- Disney M, Zheng J, Swager T, Seeberger P. Detection of bacteria with carbohydrate-functionalized fluorescent polymers. J Am Chem Soc. 2004;126:13343-6 pubmed..Future design of detectors for other pathogens only requires information on the carbohydrates bound by the organisms, which has been exhaustively reported in the literature. ..
- Meile L, Fischer K, Leisinger T. Characterization of the superoxide dismutase gene and its upstream region from Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum Marburg. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1995;128:247-53 pubmed..The amino acid sequence for this presumptive product had a similarity coefficient of 55.5% to a subunit of the alkyl hydroperoxide reductase (encoded by the ahpC gene) from Salmonella typhimurium. ..
- Oberfeld B, Brunner J, Dimroth P. Phospholipids occupy the internal lumen of the c ring of the ATP synthase of Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 2006;45:1841-51 pubmed..We conclude therefore that the inner lumen of the c ring is occupied with phospholipids. No evidence was found for an extension of subunit a into this space. ..
- Stephan R, Schumacher S. Resistance patterns of non-O157 Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) strains isolated from animals, food and asymptomatic human carriers in Switzerland. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2001;32:114-7 pubmed..Antibiotic susceptibility testing can be a useful tool for typing strains and should be used in combination with other phenotypic and genotypic methods. ..
- Angst D, Hall A. The cost of antibiotic resistance depends on evolutionary history in Escherichia coli. BMC Evol Biol. 2013;13:163 pubmed publisher..Epistatic variation of costs of resistance can result from evolution in the absence of antibiotics, as well as the presence of other resistance mutations. ..
- Thony Meyer L, Fischer F, Kunzler P, Ritz D, Hennecke H. Escherichia coli genes required for cytochrome c maturation. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:4321-6 pubmed..The results suggest that the E. coli ccm gene cluster present in the aeg-46.5 region is required for a general pathway involved in cytochrome c maturation. ..
- Kunz T, Mueller Steiner S, Schwerdtfeger K, Kleinert P, Troxler H, Kelm J, et al. Interaction of receptor-activity-modifying protein1 with tubulin. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1770:1145-50 pubmed..In conclusion, the findings point to biological roles of RAMP1 beyond its established interaction with G protein-coupled receptors...
- Haverkorn van Rijsewijk B, Nanchen A, Nallet S, Kleijn R, Sauer U. Large-scale 13C-flux analysis reveals distinct transcriptional control of respiratory and fermentative metabolism in Escherichia coli. Mol Syst Biol. 2011;7:477 pubmed publisher..Thus, E. coli actively limits its galactose catabolism at the expense of otherwise possible faster growth. ..
- Sundberg M, Pfister B, Fulton D, Bischof S, Delatte T, Eicke S, et al. The heteromultimeric debranching enzyme involved in starch synthesis in Arabidopsis requires both isoamylase1 and isoamylase2 subunits for complex stability and activity. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75223 pubmed publisher..e. E. coli glycogen) it simply degrades it. ..
- Rosler J, Krekel F, Amrhein N, Schmid J. Maize phenylalanine ammonia-lyase has tyrosine ammonia-lyase activity. Plant Physiol. 1997;113:175-9 pubmed..Also, both activities have the same pH and temperature optima. These results imply that maize can produce p-coumaric acid from both phenylalanine and tyrosine. ..
- Blaser J, Stone B, Groner M, Zinner S. Comparative study with enoxacin and netilmicin in a pharmacodynamic model to determine importance of ratio of antibiotic peak concentration to MIC for bactericidal activity and emergence of resistance. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1987;31:1054-60 pubmed..Selection of resistant subpopulations was similar with each drug. The peak concentration/MIC ratio may be an important parameter in the clinical use of quinolone and aminoglycoside antibiotics. ..
- Sévin D, Sauer U. Ubiquinone accumulation improves osmotic-stress tolerance in Escherichia coli. Nat Chem Biol. 2014;10:266-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, we find that besides regulating intracellular osmolality, E. coli enhances its cytoplasmic membrane stability to withstand osmotic stress. ..
- Loferer H, Hennecke H. Expression, purification and functional properties of a soluble form of Bradyrhizobium japonicum TlpA, a thioredoxin-like protein. Eur J Biochem. 1994;223:339-44 pubmed..Evidence is presented that two non-active-site cysteine residues form an intramolecular disulfide bond, a feature that is not normally found in other prokaryotic thioredoxins. ..
- Schaffitzel C, Oswald M, Berger I, Ishikawa T, Abrahams J, Koerten H, et al. Structure of the E. coli signal recognition particle bound to a translating ribosome. Nature. 2006;444:503-6 pubmed
- Stecher B, Denzler R, Maier L, Bernet F, Sanders M, Pickard D, et al. Gut inflammation can boost horizontal gene transfer between pathogenic and commensal Enterobacteriaceae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:1269-74 pubmed publisher..These blooms may favor reassortment of plasmid-encoded genes between pathogens and commensals fostering the spread of fitness-, virulence-, and antibiotic-resistance determinants. ..
- Ud Dean S, Heise S, Klamt S, Gunawan R. TRaCE+: Ensemble inference of gene regulatory networks from transcriptional expression profiles of gene knock-out experiments. BMC Bioinformatics. 2016;17:252 pubmed publisher..TRaCE+ subroutines for MATLAB are freely available at the following website: http://www.cabsel.ethz.ch/tools/trace.html . ..
- Baumann M, Swann M, Textor M, Reimhult E. Pleckstrin homology-phospholipase C-?1 interaction with phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate containing supported lipid bilayers monitored in situ with dual polarization interferometry. Anal Chem. 2011;83:6267-74 pubmed publisher..These kinetics differed substantially from adsorption kinetics for nonspecific binding to similarly charged control SLBs. ..
- Rhyner J, Koller M, Durussel Gerber I, Cox J, Strehler E. Characterization of the human calmodulin-like protein expressed in Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 1992;31:12826-32 pubmed..The highly tissue-specifically-expressed CLP represents a novel human Ca(2+)-binding protein showing characteristics of a CaM isoform. ..
- Kast P, Wehrli C, Hennecke H. Impaired affinity for phenylalanine in Escherichia coli phenylalanyl-tRNA synthetase mutant caused by Gly-to-Asp exchange in motif 2 of class II tRNA synthetases. FEBS Lett. 1991;293:160-3 pubmed..This alteration is located within motif 2, one of 3 conserved sequence motifs characteristic for class II aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases. Motif 2 may thus participate in the formation of the phenylalanine binding site in PheRS. ..
- Ibba M, Kast P, Hennecke H. Substrate specificity is determined by amino acid binding pocket size in Escherichia coli phenylalanyl-tRNA synthetase. Biochemistry. 1994;33:7107-12 pubmed..Tyrosine activation was also improved with this mutant, but the resulting enzyme-Tyr-adenylate complex was rapidly hydrolyzed, indicating the presence of a proofreading mechanism in E. coli phenylalanyl-tRNA synthetase. ..
- Marino J, Holzhüter K, Kuhn B, Geertsma E. Efficient Screening and Optimization of Membrane Protein Production in Escherichia coli. Methods Enzymol. 2017;594:139-164 pubmed publisher..This pipeline has proven successful for the efficient and parallel optimization of a diverse set of membrane proteins. ..
- Fischer H, Glockshuber R. A point mutation within the ATP-binding site inactivates both catalytic functions of the ATP-dependent protease La (Lon) from Escherichia coli. FEBS Lett. 1994;356:101-3 pubmed..Since selective inactivation of the peptidase activity of La does not affect its intrinsic ATPase activity, coupling of proteolysis with ATP hydrolysis is only uni-directional in this energy-dependent protease. ..
- Steinlin M, Knecht B, Könü D, Martin E, Boltshauser E. Neonatal Escherichia coli meningitis: spinal adhesions as a late complication. Eur J Pediatr. 1999;158:968-70 pubmed..Conclusion The severe complication of chronic arachnoiditis with spinal adhesion may occur many years after neonatal acute bacterial meningitis...
- van der Ploeg J, Eichhorn E, Leisinger T. Sulfonate-sulfur metabolism and its regulation in Escherichia coli. Arch Microbiol. 2001;176:1-8 pubmed..coli, while the Cbl protein functions as an accessory element specific for utilization of sulfur from organosulfur sources. ..
- Luo Y, Pfister P, Leisinger T, Wasserfallen A. Pseudomurein endoisopeptidases PeiW and PeiP, two moderately related members of a novel family of proteases produced in Methanothermobacter strains. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2002;208:47-51 pubmed..Database search results suggest that PeiW and PeiP are the first two experimentally identified members of a novel family of proteases in a superfamily of archaeal, bacterial, and eukaryotic protein homologs of animal transglutaminases. ..
- Terzer M, Stelling J. Large-scale computation of elementary flux modes with bit pattern trees. Bioinformatics. 2008;24:2229-35 pubmed publisher..An implementation in Java, with integration into MATLAB and support of various input formats, including SBML, is available at http://www.csb.ethz.ch in the tools section; sources are available from the authors upon request. ..
- Nishiyama M, Glockshuber R. The outer membrane usher guarantees the formation of functional pili by selectively catalyzing donor-strand exchange between subunits that are adjacent in the mature pilus. J Mol Biol. 2010;396:1-8 pubmed publisher..The usher therefore coordinates the assembly of pilus subunits at the stage of donor-strand exchange between pairs of subunits and not at the level of the initial binding of chaperone-subunit complexes. ..
- Schein C, Boix E, Haugg M, Holliger K, Hemmi S, Frank G, et al. Secretion of mammalian ribonucleases from Escherichia coli using the signal sequence of murine spleen ribonuclease. Biochem J. 1992;283 ( Pt 1):137-44 pubmed..Thus this eukaryotic signal sequence is both recognized by the E. coli transport and processing apparatus and gives efficient secretion, as well as export, of active, mature mammalian RNAases. ..
- Wasserfallen A, Ragettli S, Jouanneau Y, Leisinger T. A family of flavoproteins in the domains Archaea and Bacteria. Eur J Biochem. 1998;254:325-32 pubmed..gigas hemoflavoprotein [Gomes, C. M., Silva, G., Oliveira, S., LeGall, J., Liu, M.-Y., Xavier, A. V., Rodrigues-Pousada, C. & Teixeira, M. (1997) J. Biol. Chem. 272, 22502-22508], is discussed...
- Meier T, Yu J, Raschle T, Henzen F, Dimroth P, Muller D. Structural evidence for a constant c11 ring stoichiometry in the sodium F-ATP synthase. FEBS J. 2005;272:5474-83 pubmed..Our results are congruent with a stable c11 ring stoichiometry that seems to not be influenced by the expression level of subunit c in the bacteria...
- Alaimo C, Catrein I, Morf L, Marolda C, Callewaert N, Valvano M, et al. Two distinct but interchangeable mechanisms for flipping of lipid-linked oligosaccharides. EMBO J. 2006;25:967-76 pubmed..coli O-antigen biosynthesis. Our experiments provide strong genetic evidence that LLO translocation across membranes can be catalyzed by two distinct proteins that do not share any sequence similarity...
- Cleusix V, Lacroix C, Vollenweider S, Le Blay G. Glycerol induces reuterin production and decreases Escherichia coli population in an in vitro model of colonic fermentation with immobilized human feces. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2008;63:56-64 pubmed..reuteri) could be due to in situ reuterin production because 1,3-propanediol, a typical product of glycerol fermentation, was detected during the addition of glycerol...
- Stekhoven D, Bühlmann P. MissForest--non-parametric missing value imputation for mixed-type data. Bioinformatics. 2012;28:112-8 pubmed publisher..The package missForest is freely available from http://stat.ethz.ch/CRAN/. firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com ..
- Hardegger M, Koch A, Ochsner U, Fiechter A, Reiser J. Cloning and heterologous expression of a gene encoding an alkane-induced extracellular protein involved in alkane assimilation from Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1994;60:3679-87 pubmed..The recombinant protein was purified by metal chelate affinity chromatography. The ability to produce secreted PA protein by E. coli provides a simple and safe means to analyze its function(s) in alkane assimilation in the future. ..
- Fischer H, Babst M, Kaspar T, Acu a G, Arigoni F, Hennecke H. One member of a gro-ESL-like chaperonin multigene family in Bradyrhizobium japonicum is co-regulated with symbiotic nitrogen fixation genes. EMBO J. 1993;12:2901-12 pubmed..As an attractive hypothesis it follows that B. japonicum may modulate its cellular contents of GroES- and GroEL-like chaperonins in response to specific environmental conditions and physiological needs...
- Blodig W, Smith A, Doyle W, Piontek K. Crystal structures of pristine and oxidatively processed lignin peroxidase expressed in Escherichia coli and of the W171F variant that eliminates the redox active tryptophan 171. Implications for the reaction mechanism. J Mol Biol. 2001;305:851-61 pubmed..The mean distance from the iron to the distal water ligand is 2.18(+/-0.08) A. The radical scavenger orcinol was found to decrease radiation damage to the crystals, during data collection at room temperature. ..
- Böhm S, Licht A, Wuttge S, Schneider E, Bordignon E. Conformational plasticity of the type I maltose ABC importer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:5492-7 pubmed publisher..These features of MalE-MalFGK2 interactions highlight the conformational plasticity of the maltose importer, providing insights into the ATPase stimulation by unliganded MalE. ..
- Sauer M, Jakob R, Eras J, Baday S, EriÅŸ D, Navarra G, et al. Catch-bond mechanism of the bacterial adhesin FimH. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10738 pubmed publisher..Cell tracking demonstrates that rapid ligand dissociation from FimH supports motility of piliated E. coli on mannosylated surfaces in the absence of shear force. ..
- Ochsner U, Fiechter A, Reiser J. Isolation, characterization, and expression in Escherichia coli of the Pseudomonas aeruginosa rhlAB genes encoding a rhamnosyltransferase involved in rhamnolipid biosurfactant synthesis. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:19787-95 pubmed..The controlled expression of the rhlAB genes in Escherichia coli led to the formation of active rhamnosyltransferase. This provides direct evidence for the fact that the rhamnosyltransferase encoding genes have been identified. ..
- Hoenke S, Schmid M, Dimroth P. Sequence of a gene cluster from Klebsiella pneumoniae encoding malonate decarboxylase and expression of the enzyme in Escherichia coli. Eur J Biochem. 1997;246:530-8 pubmed..As partial deletion of the mdcR gene impaired growth of the transformants on malonate, MdcR is probably a transcriptional regulator of the mdc genes. ..
- Hvorup R, Goetz B, Niederer M, Hollenstein K, Perozo E, Locher K. Asymmetry in the structure of the ABC transporter-binding protein complex BtuCD-BtuF. Science. 2007;317:1387-90 pubmed..A comparison with BtuCD and the homologous HI1470/71 protein suggests that the structure of BtuCD-F may reflect a posttranslocation intermediate...
- Zihler A, Gagnon M, Chassard C, Hegland A, Stevens M, Braegger C, et al. Unexpected consequences of administering bacteriocinogenic probiotic strains for Salmonella populations, revealed by an in vitro colonic model of the child gut. Microbiology. 2010;156:3342-53 pubmed publisher..We conclude that in vitro models with complex and complete gut microbiota are required to accurately assess the potential and efficacy of probiotics with respect to Salmonella colonization in the gut...
- Urfer M, Bogdanović J, Lo Monte F, Moehle K, Zerbe K, Omasits U, et al. A Peptidomimetic Antibiotic Targets Outer Membrane Proteins and Disrupts Selectively the Outer Membrane in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:1921-32 pubmed publisher..These findings open new avenues for developing antibiotics that specifically target Î²-barrel proteins and the integrity of the Gram-negative OM. ..
- Woehlke G, Wifling K, Dimroth P. Sequence of the sodium ion pump oxaloacetate decarboxylase from Salmonella typhimurium. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:22798-803 pubmed..A plasmid encoding the three oad genes and that for the anaerobic citrate carrier (citS) was cloned from the chromosomal DNA and used for sequence determination. ..
- Summer H, Bruderer R, Weber Ban E. Characterization of a new AAA+ protein from archaea. J Struct Biol. 2006;156:120-9 pubmed..Possible roles of this new AAA+ protein are discussed. ..
- Ewald J, Reich S, Baumann S, Frommer W, Zamboni N. Engineering genetically encoded nanosensors for real-time in vivo measurements of citrate concentrations. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28245 pubmed publisher..In a first in vivo application we show that E. coli maintains the capacity to take up glucose or acetate within seconds even after long-term starvation. ..
- Link H, Kochanowski K, Sauer U. Systematic identification of allosteric protein-metabolite interactions that control enzyme activity in vivo. Nat Biotechnol. 2013;31:357-61 pubmed publisher..Thus, from large sets of putative allosteric interactions, our approach can identify the most likely ones and provide hypotheses about their function. ..
- Werneburg M, Zerbe K, Juhas M, Bigler L, Stalder U, Kaech A, et al. Inhibition of lipopolysaccharide transport to the outer membrane in Pseudomonas aeruginosa by peptidomimetic antibiotics. Chembiochem. 2012;13:1767-75 pubmed publisher..Overall, the results provide support for a mechanism of action for the peptidomimetic antibiotics that involves inhibition of LPS transport to the cell surface. ..
- Peng S, Hummerjohann J, Stephan R, Hammer P. Short communication: heat resistance of Escherichia coli strains in raw milk at different subpasteurization conditions. J Dairy Sci. 2013;96:3543-6 pubmed publisher..A much higher thermotolerance was found for E. coli strain FAM21805. For some E. coli strains, time-temperature combinations above 65°C were required to obtain a substantial reduction during a thermization treatment. ..
- Eichhorn E, Leisinger T. Escherichia coli utilizes methanesulfonate and L-cysteate as sole sulfur sources for growth. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2001;205:271-5 pubmed..Gain of the ability to utilize methanesulfonate and L-cysteate as sulfur sources thus appears to result from increased expression of ssu genes rather than from a change in the quality of one or several of the Ssu proteins. ..
- Hoelzle K, Grimm J, Ritzmann M, Heinritzi K, Torgerson P, Hamburger A, et al. Use of recombinant antigens to detect antibodies against Mycoplasma suis, with correlation of serological results to hematological findings. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2007;14:1616-22 pubmed..They are especially fit to be used in routine diagnosis, pathogenesis studies, and large-scale epidemiological investigations. ..
- Konrad R, Ferry N, Gatehouse A, Babendreier D. Potential effects of oilseed rape expressing oryzacystatin-1 (OC-1) and of purified insecticidal proteins on larvae of the solitary bee Osmia bicornis. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2664 pubmed publisher..The described bioassay with bee brood is not only suitable for early tier non-target tests of transgenic plants, but also has broader applicability to other crop protection products. ..
- Wörsdörfer B, Woycechowsky K, Hilvert D. Directed evolution of a protein container. Science. 2011;331:589-92 pubmed publisher..Such structures could be used for diverse biotechnological applications in living cells. ..
- Sodano P, Xia T, Bushweller J, Bjornberg O, Holmgren A, Billeter M, et al. Sequence-specific 1H n.m.r. assignments and determination of the three-dimensional structure of reduced Escherichia coli glutaredoxin. J Mol Biol. 1991;221:1311-24 pubmed..The active site Cys11-Pro-Tyr-Cys14 is located after the first beta-strand and occupies the latter part of the loop connecting this strand with the first helix. ..
- Thony B, Fischer H, Anthamatten D, Bruderer T, Hennecke H. The symbiotic nitrogen fixation regulatory operon (fixRnifA) of Bradyrhizobium japonicum is expressed aerobically and is subject to a novel, nifA-independent type of activation. Nucleic Acids Res. 1987;15:8479-99 pubmed..Expression from the promoter was not dependent on nifA. We conclude that the fixRnifA promoter is positively controlled, and that it requires a newly postulated transcriptional factor in order to become activated. ..
- Ottiger M, Zerbe O, Guntert P, Wuthrich K. The NMR solution conformation of unligated human cyclophilin A. J Mol Biol. 1997;272:64-81 pubmed
- Meijerink E, Neuenschwander S, Fries R, Dinter A, Bertschinger H, Stranzinger G, et al. A DNA polymorphism influencing alpha(1,2)fucosyltransferase activity of the pig FUT1 enzyme determines susceptibility of small intestinal epithelium to Escherichia coli F18 adhesion. Immunogenetics. 2000;52:129-36 pubmed
- Fabianek R, Hennecke H, Th ny Meyer L. The active-site cysteines of the periplasmic thioredoxin-like protein CcmG of Escherichia coli are important but not essential for cytochrome c maturation in vivo. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:1947-50 pubmed..coli. This defect, but not that of the ccmG null mutant, could be complemented by adding low-molecular-weight thiol compounds to growing cells, which is in agreement with a reducing function for CcmG...
- Laville J, Blumer C, Von Schroetter C, Gaia V, Defago G, Keel C, et al. Characterization of the hcnABC gene cluster encoding hydrogen cyanide synthase and anaerobic regulation by ANR in the strictly aerobic biocontrol agent Pseudomonas fluorescens CHA0. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:3187-96 pubmed..These results show that the anaerobic regulator ANR is required for cyanide synthesis in the strictly aerobic strain CHA0 and suggest that ANR-mediated cyanogenesis contributes to the suppression of black root rot. ..
- Pellecchia M, Guntert P, Glockshuber R, Wuthrich K. NMR solution structure of the periplasmic chaperone FimC. Nat Struct Biol. 1998;5:885-90 pubmed..The availability of the NMR structure of FimC provides a new basis for rational design of drugs against infections by uropathogenic bacteria. ..
- MacPherson A, Gatto D, Sainsbury E, Harriman G, Hengartner H, Zinkernagel R. A primitive T cell-independent mechanism of intestinal mucosal IgA responses to commensal bacteria. Science. 2000;288:2222-6 pubmed
- Steuber J. Na(+) translocation by bacterial NADH:quinone oxidoreductases: an extension to the complex-I family of primary redox pumps. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2001;1505:45-56 pubmed..alginolyticus, higher (Na(+) or H(+)) transport stoichiometries are expected for complex I, suggesting the presence of a second coupling site...
- Gamper M, Kast P. Strategy for chromosomal gene targeting in RecA-deficient Escherichia coli strains. Biotechniques. 2005;38:405-8 pubmed..A simple screen confirmed the desired resistance phenotype in 44% of the initially selected clones, and 75% of these had the correct genotype. ..
- Wiedenmann A, Dimroth P, von Ballmoos C. Functional asymmetry of the F(0) motor in bacterial ATP synthases. Mol Microbiol. 2009;72:479-90 pubmed publisher..5 were required for ATP synthesis in vitro. This discrepancy is discussed with respect to the hypothesis that during respiration lateral proton diffusion could lead to significant acidification at the membrane surface...
- Kessler F, Falchetto R, Heim R, Meili R, Vorherr T, Strehler E, et al. Study of calmodulin binding to the alternatively spliced C-terminal domain of the plasma membrane Ca2+ pump. Biochemistry. 1992;31:11785-92 pubmed..Alternative splicing in the C-terminal domain is proposed to confer pH dependence to the regulation of the activity of Ca2+ pump isoforms. ..
- Anthamatten D, Scherb B, Hennecke H. Characterization of a fixLJ-regulated Bradyrhizobium japonicum gene sharing similarity with the Escherichia coli fnr and Rhizobium meliloti fixK genes. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:2111-20 pubmed..We interpret this to mean that the B. japonicum wild type has two homologs of fixLJ-regulated fixK genes which can functionally substitute for each other. ..
- Rossbach S, Loferer H, Acuna G, Appleby C, Hennecke H. Cloning, sequencing and mutational analysis of the cytochrome c552 gene (cycB) from Bradyrhizobium japonicum strain 110. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1991;67:145-52 pubmed..A B. japonicum cycB insertion mutant was constructed which had no observable phenotypic defects in denitrification and symbiotic nitrogen fixation. Thus, the function of c552 remains unknown. ..
- Ochsner U, Koch A, Fiechter A, Reiser J. Isolation and characterization of a regulatory gene affecting rhamnolipid biosurfactant synthesis in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:2044-54 pubmed..Additionally, such PG201::'rhlR' mutant strains lacked elastase activity, indicating that the RhlR protein is a pleiotropic regulator. ..
- Quadroni M, Staudenmann W, Kertesz M, James P. Analysis of global responses by protein and peptide fingerprinting of proteins isolated by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis. Application to the sulfate-starvation response of Escherichia coli. Eur J Biochem. 1996;239:773-81 pubmed..N-terminal sequencing however, takes about 5 h/protein and approximately 1 pmol to obtain a 10 amino acid sequence for a search. ..
- Hennecke J, Sebbel P, Glockshuber R. Random circular permutation of DsbA reveals segments that are essential for protein folding and stability. J Mol Biol. 1999;286:1197-215 pubmed..We suggest that random circular permutation allows identification of contiguous structural elements in a protein that are essential for folding and stability. ..
- Luo Y, Leisinger T, Wasserfallen A. Comparative sequence analysis of plasmids pME2001 and pME2200 of methanothermobacter marburgensis strains Marburg and ZH3. Plasmid. 2001;45:18-30 pubmed publisher..marburgensis strain Marburg and may confer the apparent immunity of its host strain ZH3 to infection by phage psiM2. Our data indicate that M. marburgensis plasmids may evolve by a series of gene duplication and excision events...
- Garcia P, Liu Y, Jiricny J, West S, Janscak P. Human RECQ5beta, a protein with DNA helicase and strand-annealing activities in a single polypeptide. EMBO J. 2004;23:2882-91 pubmed..This is the first demonstration of a DNA helicase with an intrinsic DNA strand-annealing function residing in a separate domain. ..
- Vetsch M, Erilov D, Molière N, Nishiyama M, Ignatov O, Glockshuber R. Mechanism of fibre assembly through the chaperone-usher pathway. EMBO Rep. 2006;7:734-8 pubmed..Our results indicate that the pilus assembly platforms in the outer membrane, referred to as ushers, catalyse fibre formation by increasing the effective concentrations of donor and acceptor subunits. ..
- Chen H, Wortmann A, Zenobi R. Neutral desorption sampling coupled to extractive electrospray ionization mass spectrometry for rapid differentiation of biosamples by metabolomic fingerprinting. J Mass Spectrom. 2007;42:1123-35 pubmed..The technique reported here shows potential for more advanced applications in multiple disciplines, including food regulation, homeland security, in vivo metabolomics, and clinical diagnosis. ..