Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on caenorhabditis elegans proteins in Zurich, Switzerland
Locale: Zurich, Switzerland
Topic: caenorhabditis elegans proteins
- Morf M, Rimann I, Alexander M, Roy P, Hajnal A. The Caenorhabditis elegans homolog of the Opitz syndrome gene, madd-2/Mid1, regulates anchor cell invasion during vulval development. Dev Biol. 2013;374:108-14 pubmed publisher..Therefore, developmental cell invasion depends on a precise balance between pro- and anti-invasive factors. ..
- Nakdimon I, Walser M, Fröhli E, Hajnal A. PTEN negatively regulates MAPK signaling during Caenorhabditis elegans vulval development. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002881 pubmed publisher..Thus, mutations in the PTEN tumor suppressor gene may result in the simultaneous hyper-activation of two oncogenic signaling pathways. ..
- John C, Hite R, Weirich C, Fitzgerald D, Jawhari H, Faty M, et al. The Caenorhabditis elegans septin complex is nonpolar. EMBO J. 2007;26:3296-307 pubmed..Together, our study establishes that the septin core complex is symmetric, and suggests that septins form nonpolar filaments. ..
- Neukomm L, Nicot A, Kinchen J, Almendinger J, Pinto S, Zeng S, et al. The phosphoinositide phosphatase MTM-1 regulates apoptotic cell corpse clearance through CED-5-CED-12 in C. elegans. Development. 2011;138:2003-14 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the CED-12 PH domain can bind to PtdIns(3,5)P(2) (one target of MTM-1 phosphatase activity), suggesting that MTM-1 might regulate CED-12 recruitment to the plasma membrane. ..
- Spilker A, Rabilotta A, Zbinden C, Labbé J, Gotta M. MAP kinase signaling antagonizes PAR-1 function during polarization of the early Caenorhabditis elegans embryo. Genetics. 2009;183:965-77 pubmed publisher..Our data therefore indicates that MAP kinase signaling antagonizes PAR-1 signaling during early C. elegans embryonic polarization. ..
- Almendinger J, Doukoumetzidis K, Kinchen J, Kaech A, Ravichandran K, Hengartner M. A conserved role for SNX9-family members in the regulation of phagosome maturation during engulfment of apoptotic cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18325 pubmed publisher..The functional conservation between LST-4 and SNX33 indicate that these early steps of apoptotic phagosome maturation are likely conserved through evolution. ..
- Luke Glaser S, Pintard L, Lu C, Mains P, Peter M. The BTB protein MEL-26 promotes cytokinesis in C. elegans by a CUL-3-independent mechanism. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1605-15 pubmed..Our results suggest that MEL-26 not only acts as a substrate-specific adaptor within the MEL-26/CUL-3 complex, but also promotes cytokinesis by a CUL-3- and microtubule-independent mechanism. ..
- Baumer A, Wiedemann U, Hergersberg M, Schinzel A. A novel MSP/DHPLC method for the investigation of the methylation status of imprinted genes enables the molecular detection of low cell mosaicisms. Hum Mutat. 2001;17:423-30 pubmed
- Dittrich C, Kratz K, Sendoel A, Gruenbaum Y, Jiricny J, Hengartner M. LEM-3 - A LEM domain containing nuclease involved in the DNA damage response in C. elegans. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e24555 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that BAF-1, together with the LEM domain proteins, plays an important role following DNA damage - possibly by promoting the reorganization of damaged chromatin. ..
- Zanin E, Pacquelet A, Scheckel C, Ciosk R, Gotta M. LARP-1 promotes oogenesis by repressing fem-3 in the C. elegans germline. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:2717-24 pubmed publisher..By contrast, levels of fem-3 mRNA are not affected in nos-3 mutants. Therefore, our data indicate that LARP-1 and NOS-3 promote oogenesis by regulating fem-3 expression through distinct mechanisms. ..
- Yang Q, Roiz D, Mereu L, Daube M, Hajnal A. The Invading Anchor Cell Induces Lateral Membrane Constriction during Vulval Lumen Morphogenesis in C. elegans. Dev Cell. 2017;42:271-285.e3 pubmed publisher..Invasive cells may induce shape changes in adjacent cells to penetrate their target tissues. ..
- Stetak A, Hörndli F, Maricq A, van den Heuvel S, Hajnal A. Neuron-specific regulation of associative learning and memory by MAGI-1 in C. elegans. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6019 pubmed publisher..elegans are likely carried out by distinct subsets of interneurons. The synaptic scaffolding protein MAGI-1 plays a critical role in these processes in part by regulating the clustering of iGluRs at synapses. ..
- Pacquelet A, Zanin E, Ashiono C, Gotta M. PAR-6 levels are regulated by NOS-3 in a CUL-2 dependent manner in Caenorhabditiselegans. Dev Biol. 2008;319:267-72 pubmed publisher..Our data strongly suggest that PAR-6 levels are regulated by the CBC(FEM-1) ubiquitin ligase thereby uncovering a novel role for the FEM proteins and cullin-dependent degradation in regulating PAR proteins and polarity processes. ..
- Luke Glaser S, Roy M, Larsen B, Le Bihan T, Metalnikov P, Tyers M, et al. CIF-1, a shared subunit of the COP9/signalosome and eukaryotic initiation factor 3 complexes, regulates MEL-26 levels in the Caenorhabditis elegans embryo. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:4526-40 pubmed..F and inactivation of cif-1 impairs translation in vivo. Taken together, our results indicate that CIF-1 is a shared subunit of the CSN and eIF3 complexes and may therefore link protein translation and degradation. ..
- Stergiou L, Doukoumetzidis K, Sendoel A, Hengartner M. The nucleotide excision repair pathway is required for UV-C-induced apoptosis in Caenorhabditis elegans. Cell Death Differ. 2007;14:1129-38 pubmed
- Kritikou E, Milstein S, Vidalain P, Lettre G, Bogan E, Doukoumetzidis K, et al. C. elegans GLA-3 is a novel component of the MAP kinase MPK-1 signaling pathway required for germ cell survival. Genes Dev. 2006;20:2279-92 pubmed..elegans germline and functions as a negative regulator of the MAPK signaling pathway during vulval development and in muscle cells. ..
- Walser C, Battu G, Hoier E, Hajnal A. Distinct roles of the Pumilio and FBF translational repressors during C. elegans vulval development. Development. 2006;133:3461-71 pubmed..Thus, translational repressors regulate various aspects of vulval cell fate specification, and they may play a conserved role in modulating signal transduction during animal development. ..
- Labbé J, Pacquelet A, Marty T, Gotta M. A genomewide screen for suppressors of par-2 uncovers potential regulators of PAR protein-dependent cell polarity in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2006;174:285-95 pubmed..Taken together, our results identify conserved components that regulate PAR protein function and also suggest a role for NOS-3 in PAR protein-dependent cell polarity. ..
- Canevascini S, Marti M, Fröhli E, Hajnal A. The Caenorhabditis elegans homologue of the proto-oncogene ect-2 positively regulates RAS signalling during vulval development. EMBO Rep. 2005;6:1169-75 pubmed..Our results raise the possibility that the transforming activity of the mammalian ect-2 oncogene could be due to hyperactivation of the RAS/MAPK pathway. ..
- Kurz T, Ozlu N, Rudolf F, O Rourke S, Luke B, Hofmann K, et al. The conserved protein DCN-1/Dcn1p is required for cullin neddylation in C. elegans and S. cerevisiae. Nature. 2005;435:1257-61 pubmed..Both in vivo and in vitro experiments indicate that Dcn1p does not inhibit deneddylation of Cdc53p by the COP9 signalosome, but greatly increases the kinetics of the neddylation reaction. ..
- Dutt A, Canevascini S, Froehli Hoier E, Hajnal A. EGF signal propagation during C. elegans vulval development mediated by ROM-1 rhomboid. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:e334 pubmed..These results indicate that, in spite of their structural diversity, Rhomboid proteins play a conserved role in activating EGFR signaling in C. elegans, Drosophila, and possibly also in mammals. ..
- Hoerndli F, Walser M, Fröhli Hoier E, de Quervain D, Papassotiropoulos A, Hajnal A. A conserved function of C. elegans CASY-1 calsyntenin in associative learning. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4880 pubmed publisher..Our experiments demonstrate a remarkable conservation of the molecular function of Calsyntenins between nematodes and humans and point at a role of C. elegans casy-1 in regulating a glutamate receptor signaling pathway. ..
- Couwenbergs C, Labbé J, Goulding M, Marty T, Bowerman B, Gotta M. Heterotrimeric G protein signaling functions with dynein to promote spindle positioning in C. elegans. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:15-22 pubmed..These results indicate that dynein activity functions with regulators of G protein signaling to regulate common downstream effectors during spindle positioning in the early C. elegans embryo. ..
- Luke Glaser S, Pintard L, Tyers M, Peter M. The AAA-ATPase FIGL-1 controls mitotic progression, and its levels are regulated by the CUL-3MEL-26 E3 ligase in the C. elegans germ line. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3179-87 pubmed..We conclude that degradation of FIGL-1 by the CUL-3MEL-26 E3 ligase spatially restricts FIGL-1 function to mitotic cells, where it is required for correct progression through mitosis. ..
- Stetak A, Hoier E, Croce A, Cassata G, Di Fiore P, Hajnal A. Cell fate-specific regulation of EGF receptor trafficking during Caenorhabditis elegans vulval development. EMBO J. 2006;25:2347-57 pubmed..Extracellular signals thus regulate EGFR trafficking in a cell type-specific manner to control pattern formation during organogenesis. ..
- Nusser Stein S, Beyer A, Rimann I, Adamczyk M, Piterman N, Hajnal A, et al. Cell-cycle regulation of NOTCH signaling during C. elegans vulval development. Mol Syst Biol. 2012;8:618 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a synchronization mechanism that coordinates NOTCH signaling with cell-cycle progression and thus permits the formation of a stable cell fate pattern. ..
- Bänziger C, Soldini D, Schütt C, Zipperlen P, Hausmann G, Basler K. Wntless, a conserved membrane protein dedicated to the secretion of Wnt proteins from signaling cells. Cell. 2006;125:509-22 pubmed