Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Zurich, Switzerland
Locale: Zurich, Switzerland
Publications846 found, 100 shown here
- Biollaz G, Bernasconi L, Cretton C, Püntener U, Frei K, Fontana A, et al. Site-specific anti-tumor immunity: differences in DC function, TGF-beta production and numbers of intratumoral Foxp3+ Treg. Eur J Immunol. 2009;39:1323-33 pubmed publisher..Thus, not the tumor itself, but its location dictates the efficiency of the anti-tumor immune response. ..
- Bottova I, Hehl A, Stefanic S, Fabrias G, Casas J, Schraner E, et al. Host cell P-glycoprotein is essential for cholesterol uptake and replication of Toxoplasma gondii. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:17438-48 pubmed publisher..Collectively our findings reveal a key and previously undocumented role of P-gp in host-parasite interaction and suggest a physiological role for P-gp in cholesterol trafficking in mammalian cells. ..
- Spahni A, Schawalder P, Rothen B, Bosshardt D, Lang N, Stoffel M. Immunohistochemical localization of RANK, RANKL and OPG in healthy and arthritic canine elbow joints. Vet Surg. 2009;38:780-6 pubmed publisher..Both OPG and neutralizing antibodies against RANKL have the potential to counterbalance bone resorption. Therapeutic use of neutralizing antibodies against RANKL to inhibit osteoclast activation warrants further investigation. ..
- Proulx S, Luciani P, Derzsi S, Rinderknecht M, Mumprecht V, Leroux J, et al. Quantitative imaging of lymphatic function with liposomal indocyanine green. Cancer Res. 2010;70:7053-62 pubmed publisher..This new method will likely facilitate quantitative studies of lymphatic function in preclinical investigations and may also have potential for imaging of lymphedema or improved sentinel lymph detection in cancer. ..
- Weber A, Pontiggia L, Biedermann T, Schiestl C, Meuli M, Reichmann E. Determining the origin of cells in tissue engineered skin substitutes: a pilot study employing in situ hybridization. Pediatr Surg Int. 2011;27:255-61 pubmed publisher..This method is an essential tool for those preclinical experiments (performed on non-primate animals) that must be conducted before novel tissue engineered skin substitutes might be introduced into clinical practice. ..
- Hülsmeier A, Welti M, Hennet T. Glycoprotein maturation and the UPR. Methods Enzymol. 2011;491:163-82 pubmed publisher..We also provide detailed methods for the analysis of O-glycosylation, whose role in intracellular protein maturation is often overlooked...
- Rajendran L, Annaert W. Membrane trafficking pathways in Alzheimer's disease. Traffic. 2012;13:759-70 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss an update of our current appraisal on how membrane trafficking may play an important role in the pathogenesis of the disease and how this could be exploited for effective therapy. ..
- Tuz K, Bachmann Gagescu R, O Day D, Hua K, Isabella C, Phelps I, et al. Mutations in CSPP1 cause primary cilia abnormalities and Joubert syndrome with or without Jeune asphyxiating thoracic dystrophy. Am J Hum Genet. 2014;94:62-72 pubmed publisher..In summary, CSPP1 mutations are a major cause of the Joubert-Jeune phenotype in humans; however, the mechanism by which these mutations lead to both JBTS and JATD remains unknown. ..
- Yakimovich A, Huttunen M, Zehnder B, Coulter L, Gould V, Schneider C, et al. Inhibition of Poxvirus Gene Expression and Genome Replication by Bisbenzimide Derivatives. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..These findings can lead to the development of novel antiviral drugs that target viral genomes and block viral replication. ..
- Bimmler D, Schiesser M, Perren A, Scheele G, Angst E, Meili S, et al. Coordinate regulation of PSP/reg and PAP isoforms as a family of secretory stress proteins in an animal model of chronic pancreatitis. J Surg Res. 2004;118:122-35 pubmed..There is a tight spatial and temporal association between pre-inflammatory changes or inflammation and SSP-expression. These results support our concept that PSP/reg and PAP are coordinately regulated SSP. ..
- Zellweger R, Hangartner L, Weber J, Zinkernagel R, Hengartner H. Parameters governing exhaustion of rare T cell-independent neutralizing IgM-producing B cells after LCMV infection. Eur J Immunol. 2006;36:3175-85 pubmed..Upon infection, a low frequency of LCMV-nAb-producing B cells, as observed in WT mice, results in a high antigen-to-B cell ratio and is likely to lead to terminal differentiation - and elimination - of these rare B cells. ..
- Pochanke V, Koller S, Dayer R, Hatak S, Ludewig B, Zinkernagel R, et al. Identification and characterization of a novel antigen from the nematode Nippostrongylus brasiliensis recognized by specific IgE. Eur J Immunol. 2007;37:1275-84 pubmed..Here, we show that even such low levels of parasite-specific IgE are sufficient to prime mast cells in vivo and mediate degranulation...
- Wittwer J, Hersberger M. The two faces of the 15-lipoxygenase in atherosclerosis. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2007;77:67-77 pubmed..This will now allow large studies to investigate an association of 15-LOX with coronary artery disease and to answer the question whether 15-LOX is pro- or anti-atherogenic in humans. ..
- Poernbacher I, Baumgartner R, Marada S, Edwards K, Stocker H. Drosophila Pez acts in Hippo signaling to restrict intestinal stem cell proliferation. Curr Biol. 2012;22:389-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, Pez displays a tissue-specific requirement and functions as a negative upstream regulator of Yki in the regulation of ISC proliferation. ..
- Schnyder M, Deplazes P. Cross-reactions of sera from dogs infected with Angiostrongylus vasorum in commercially available Dirofilaria immitis test kits. Parasit Vectors. 2012;5:258 pubmed publisher..For the detection of D. immitis infections, a variety of commercial tests have been developed, however, they have not been evaluated for cross-reactions against circulating antigens of A. vasorum...
- Janett F, Thun R, Niederer K, Burger D, Hassig M. Seasonal changes in semen quality and freezability in the Warmblood stallion. Theriogenology. 2003;60:453-61 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that in our climatic conditions clear seasonal differences occur in semen quality of fresh and frozen-thawed semen and that cryopreservation of stallion semen should preferably be performed in autumn. ..
- Zemp I, Kutay U. Nuclear export and cytoplasmic maturation of ribosomal subunits. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:2783-93 pubmed..We review current knowledge of nuclear export and cytoplasmic maturation of ribosomal subunits. ..
- Zabel M, Heikenwalder M, Prinz M, Arrighi I, Schwarz P, Kranich J, et al. Stromal complement receptor CD21/35 facilitates lymphoid prion colonization and pathogenesis. J Immunol. 2007;179:6144-52 pubmed..Because both PrP(C) and CD21/35 are highly expressed on follicular dendritic cells, CD21/35 appears to be involved in targeting prions to follicular dendritic cells and expediting neuroinvasion following peripheral exposure to prions. ..
- Krishnan J, Suter M, Windak R, Krebs T, Felley A, Montessuit C, et al. Activation of a HIF1alpha-PPARgamma axis underlies the integration of glycolytic and lipid anabolic pathways in pathologic cardiac hypertrophy. Cell Metab. 2009;9:512-24 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which activation of the HIF1alpha-PPARgamma axis by pathologic stress underlies key changes in cell metabolism that are characteristic of and contribute to common forms of heart disease. ..
- Oliveira Martins J, Yusa S, Calella A, Bridel C, Baumann F, Dametto P, et al. Unexpected tolerance of alpha-cleavage of the prion protein to sequence variations. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9107 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that alpha-cleavage is executed by an alpha-PrPase whose activity, despite surprisingly limited sequence specificity, is dependent on the size of the central region of PrP(C). ..
- Gorr T, Wichmann D, Pilarsky C, Theurillat J, Fabrizius A, Laufs T, et al. Old proteins - new locations: myoglobin, haemoglobin, neuroglobin and cytoglobin in solid tumours and cancer cells. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2011;202:563-81 pubmed publisher..Future studies should consider that cancer-expressed globins might function in ways not directly linked to the binding and transport of oxygen. ..
- Burger A, Koesters R, Schafer B, Niggli F. Generation of a novel rtTA transgenic mouse to induce time-controlled, tissue-specific alterations in Pax2-expressing cells. Genesis. 2011;49:797-802 pubmed publisher..We further propose that the Pax2-rtTA tool has great potential to induce time-controlled, tissue-specific alterations for tumorigenic transformation of Pax2-expressing cells for generating in vivo tumor models, such as Wilms tumor. ..
- Neri D, Supuran C. Interfering with pH regulation in tumours as a therapeutic strategy. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2011;10:767-77 pubmed publisher..These antitumour mechanisms are not exploited by the classical cancer drugs and therefore represent a new anticancer drug discovery strategy. ..
- Richter K, Brocker T, Oxenius A. Antigen amount dictates CD8+ T-cell exhaustion during chronic viral infection irrespective of the type of antigen presenting cell. Eur J Immunol. 2012;42:2290-304 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, exhaustion of virus-specific CD8(+) T cells leads to avoidance of life-threatening immunopathology...
- Ittner A, Block H, Reichel C, Varjosalo M, Gehart H, Sumara G, et al. Regulation of PTEN activity by p38?-PKD1 signaling in neutrophils confers inflammatory responses in the lung. J Exp Med. 2012;209:2229-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, aberrant p38?-PKD1 signaling in neutrophils may underlie development of ALI and life-threatening ARDS in humans. ..
- Lang P, Xu H, Grusdat M, McIlwain D, Pandyra A, Harris I, et al. Reactive oxygen species delay control of lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus. Cell Death Differ. 2013;20:649-58 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we find that NADPH-mediated production of ROS critically impairs the immune response, impacting elimination of virus and outcome of liver cell damage...
- Ghosh A, Wyss M, Weber B. Somatotopic astrocytic activity in the somatosensory cortex. Glia. 2013;61:601-10 pubmed publisher..The maps and the frequency-dependent activations reflect strong reciprocal neuroglial communication and provide a new experimental approach to explore the role of astrocytes in health and disease. ..
- Schmidt F, Bleck C, Reh L, Novy K, Wollscheid B, Helenius A, et al. Vaccinia virus entry is followed by core activation and proteasome-mediated release of the immunomodulatory effector VH1 from lateral bodies. Cell Rep. 2013;4:464-76 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a mechanism used by poxviruses to deliver viral enzymes to the host cell cytosol and are likely to facilitate the identification of additional LB-resident viral effectors. ..
- Politis A, Stengel F, Hall Z, HernÃ¡ndez H, Leitner A, Walzthoeni T, et al. A mass spectrometry-based hybrid method for structural modeling of protein complexes. Nat Methods. 2014;11:403-406 pubmed publisher..We used the method to generate near-native models for three known structures and characterized an assembly intermediate of the proteasomal base. ..
- Ospelt C, Camici G, Engler A, Kolling C, Vogetseder A, Gay R, et al. Smoking induces transcription of the heat shock protein system in the joints. Ann Rheum Dis. 2014;73:1423-6 pubmed publisher..Smoking increases the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and worsens the course of the disease. In the current study we analysed whether smoking can affect gene expression directly in the joints...
- Stoeger T, Battich N, Pelkmans L. Passive Noise Filtering by Cellular Compartmentalization. Cell. 2016;164:1151-1161 pubmed publisher..We will use passive noise filtering by the eukaryotic cell nucleus as an example of how this increases predictability of transcriptional output, with possible implications for the evolution of complex multicellularity. ..
- Grimm C, REme C, Rol P, Williams T. Blue light's effects on rhodopsin: photoreversal of bleaching in living rat eyes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2000;41:3984-90 pubmed..These data may have an important impact on resolving mechanisms of blue light-mediated damage to the retina. ..
- Olsen J, Banner D, Seiler P, Wagner B, Tschopp T, Obst Sander U, et al. Fluorine interactions at the thrombin active site: protein backbone fragments H-C(alpha)-C=O comprise a favorable C-F environment and interactions of C-F with electrophiles. Chembiochem. 2004;5:666-75 pubmed..Similar orientational preferences are also seen in the dipolar interactions C--F.C[triple chemical bond]N, C-F.C-F, and C-F...NO(2), in which the F atoms interact at sub-van der Waals distances with the electrophilic centers...
- Arsenijevic D, de Bilbao F, Plamondon J, Paradis E, Vallet P, Richard D, et al. Increased infarct size and lack of hyperphagic response after focal cerebral ischemia in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor beta-deficient mice. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2006;26:433-45 pubmed
- Genini S, Nguyen T, Malek M, Talbot R, Gebert S, Rohrer G, et al. Radiation hybrid mapping of 18 positional and physiological candidate genes for arthrogryposis multiplex congenita on porcine chromosome 5. Anim Genet. 2006;37:239-44 pubmed..2 on SSC5 correspond to HSA12p13 and HSA12q12. We identified seven distinct chromosomal blocks, further supporting extensive rearrangements between genes on HSA12 and HSA22 in the AMC region on SSC5...
- Lang K, Georgiev P, Recher M, Navarini A, Bergthaler A, Heikenwalder M, et al. Immunoprivileged status of the liver is controlled by Toll-like receptor 3 signaling. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:2456-63 pubmed..Thus, nonspecific activation of innate immunity can drastically enhance susceptibility to immune destruction of a solid organ. ..
- Kelm J, Djonov V, Hoerstrup S, Guenter C, Ittner L, Greve F, et al. Tissue-transplant fusion and vascularization of myocardial microtissues and macrotissues implanted into chicken embryos and rats. Tissue Eng. 2006;12:2541-53 pubmed..Myocardial microtissues and custom-shaped macrotissues produced by cellular self-assembly exemplify the potential of artificial tissue implants for regenerative medicine. ..
- Urich E, Gutcher I, Prinz M, Becher B. Autoantibody-mediated demyelination depends on complement activation but not activatory Fc-receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:18697-702 pubmed..Using FcRgamma(-/-) and C1q(-/-) mice, we could definitively establish that the demyelinating capacity of such autoAb in vivo relies entirely on complement activation and is FcR-independent. ..
- Polkinghorne A, Borel N, Becker A, Lu Z, Zimmermann D, Brugnera E, et al. Molecular evidence for chlamydial infections in the eyes of sheep. Vet Microbiol. 2009;135:142-6 pubmed publisher..Further investigations are needed to determine whether a causal relationship between infection by chlamydiae and ocular disease exists in these animals. ..
- Nazabal A, Hornemann S, Aguzzi A, Zenobi R. Hydrogen/deuterium exchange mass spectrometry identifies two highly protected regions in recombinant full-length prion protein amyloid fibrils. J Mass Spectrom. 2009;44:965-77 pubmed publisher..The residues between the two highly protected stretches were found to be more solvent exposed, but less than in the soluble protein, and might therefore rather form part of a fibrillar interface. ..
- Stefanic S, Morf L, Kulangara C, Regos A, Sonda S, Schraner E, et al. Neogenesis and maturation of transient Golgi-like cisternae in a simple eukaryote. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:2846-56 pubmed publisher..The minimized and naturally pulsed trafficking machinery for export of the cyst wall biopolymer in Giardia is a simple model for investigating basic principles of neogenesis and maturation of Golgi compartments. ..
- Enkerli J, Ghormade V, Oulevey C, Widmer F. PCR-RFLP analysis of chitinase genes enables efficient genotyping of Metarhizium anisopliae var. anisopliae. J Invertebr Pathol. 2009;102:185-8 pubmed publisher..The new tool will be useful for genetic characterization of M. anisopliae var. anisopliae strains, and it is applicable for laboratories with limited access to molecular diagnostic equipment. ..
- Lange C, Thiersch M, Samardzija M, Grimm C. The differential role of Jak/STAT signaling in retinal degeneration. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2010;664:601-7 pubmed publisher..This common answer to probably different apoptotic stimuli suggests a prominent role for Jak3 in the damaged retina and could therefore be interesting for further investigations. ..
- Hofmann J, Mair F, Greter M, Schmidt Supprian M, Becher B. NIK signaling in dendritic cells but not in T cells is required for the development of effector T cells and cell-mediated immune responses. J Exp Med. 2011;208:1917-29 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our data suggest that a population of thymic DCs requires NIK to shape the formation of most ?? CD4(+) T effector lineages during early development. ..
- Decker M, Adamska M, Cronin A, Di Giallonardo F, Burgener J, Marowsky A, et al. EH3 (ABHD9): the first member of a new epoxide hydrolase family with high activity for fatty acid epoxides. J Lipid Res. 2012;53:2038-45 pubmed publisher..This is particularly relevant because sEH is a potential drug target, and clinical trials are under way exploring the value of sEH inhibitors in the treatment of hypertension and diabetes type II. ..
- Croxford A, Mair F, Becher B. IL-23: one cytokine in control of autoimmunity. Eur J Immunol. 2012;42:2263-73 pubmed publisher..This review will focus on our changing view of IL-23-dependent autoimmune pathologies with a particular emphasis on the responder cells and their IL-23-induced factors that ultimately mediate tissue destruction...
- Lin V. Research highlights: impacts of microplastics on plankton. Environ Sci Process Impacts. 2016;18:160-3 pubmed publisher..This highlight features three recent publications that explore the interactions of microplastics with planktonic organisms to clarify the effects of these pollutants on some of the ocean's smallest and most important inhabitants. ..
- Beck S, Feng Y, Sothilingam V, Garcia Garrido M, Tanimoto N, Acar N, et al. Long-term consequences of developmental vascular defects on retinal vessel homeostasis and function in a mouse model of Norrie disease. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178753 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data provide evidence that the key to adult Norrie disease are ongoing vascular modifications, driven by the persistent hypoxic conditions, which are ineffective to compensate for the primary Norrin-dependent defects...
- Heller N, Brändli A. Xenopus Pax-2/5/8 orthologues: novel insights into Pax gene evolution and identification of Pax-8 as the earliest marker for otic and pronephric cell lineages. Dev Genet. 1999;24:208-19 pubmed..Our findings indicate that differential silencing of Pax-2/5/8 gene expression may have occurred after the different classes of vertebrates began to evolve separately. ..
- Wulf P, Suter U. Embryonic expression of epithelial membrane protein 1 in early neurons. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 1999;116:169-80 pubmed..While PMP22 functions mainly in Schwann cell growth and differentiation, the spatio-temporal localization of EMP1 suggests a role in neuronal differentiation and neurite outgrowth. ..
- Amrein I, Slomianka L, Poletaeva I, Bologova N, Lipp H. Marked species and age-dependent differences in cell proliferation and neurogenesis in the hippocampus of wild-living rodents. Hippocampus. 2004;14:1000-10 pubmed..We conclude that cell proliferation and neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus vary significantly among wild-living rodents, and that they are downregulated with age, but at species-specific time points. ..
- Martic M, Pernot L, Westermaier Y, Perozzo R, Kraljević T, Kristafor S, et al. Synthesis, crystal structure, and in vitro biological evaluation of C-6 pyrimidine derivatives: new lead structures for monitoring gene expression in vivo. Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids. 2011;30:293-315 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the crystal structure of HSV1-TK with N-Me DHBT revealed an additional water-mediated H-bond interesting for the design of further analogues. ..
- Ruf J, Wacker H, James P, Maffia M, Seiler P, Galand G, et al. Rabbit small intestinal trehalase. Purification, cDNA cloning, expression, and verification of glycosylphosphatidylinositol anchoring. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:15034-9 pubmed..This strongly suggests that rabbit small intestinal trehalase is anchored via glycosylphosphatidylinositol also when expressed in X. laevis oocytes. ..
- Dubey R, Gillespie D, Zacharia L, Rosselli M, Korzekwa K, Fingerle J, et al. Methoxyestradiols mediate the antimitogenic effects of estradiol on vascular smooth muscle cells via estrogen receptor-independent mechanisms. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;278:27-33 pubmed..These findings also imply that nonfeminizing estradiol metabolites may confer cardiovascular protection in both women and men. ..
- Baumann D, Pusterla N, Peter O, Grimm F, Fournier P, Schär G, et al. [Fever after a tick bite: clinical manifestations and diagnosis of acute tick bite-associated infections in northeastern Switzerland]. Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 2003;128:1042-7 pubmed..Serologic data suggest that human granulocytic ehrlichiosis and R. helvetica infections may be endemic in Switzerland. Among 50 % of the patients no tick-borne infections could be diagnosed. ..
- Gisler S, Pribanic S, Bacic D, Forrer P, Gantenbein A, Sabourin L, et al. PDZK1: I. a major scaffolder in brush borders of proximal tubular cells. Kidney Int. 2003;64:1733-45 pubmed..We hypothesize that PDZK1 and NHERF-1 establish an extended network beneath the apical membrane to which membrane proteins and regulatory components are anchored. ..
- Wahl P, Serra A, Le Hir M, Molle K, Hall M, Wuthrich R. Inhibition of mTOR with sirolimus slows disease progression in Han:SPRD rats with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD). Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2006;21:598-604 pubmed..We examined the effect of the mTOR inhibitor sirolimus (rapamycin) on renal functional loss and cyst progression in the Han:SPRD rat model of ADPKD...
- Meier C, Schramm R, Holstein J, Seifert B, Trentz O, Menger M. Measurement of compartment pressure of the rectus sheath during intra-abdominal hypertension in rats. Intensive Care Med. 2006;32:1644-8 pubmed..CPRS accurately reflects IAP for IAP of 12 mmHg or higher. Thus CPRS measurements may represent a novel approach for diagnosis and monitoring of IAH. ..
- Pfeifer R, Lungarella M, Iida F. Self-organization, embodiment, and biologically inspired robotics. Science. 2007;318:1088-93 pubmed
- Inci I, Arni S, Inci D, Zhai W, Hillinger S, Leskosek B, et al. Impact of topical cooling solution and prediction of pulmonary graft viability from non-heart-beating donors. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2008;27:1016-22 pubmed publisher..Nitrite and protein levels in BAL correlated well with PVR and may therefore be used as a non-invasive marker to predict graft function for NHBDs. ..
- Rabut G, Peter M. Function and regulation of protein neddylation. 'Protein modifications: beyond the usual suspects' review series. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:969-76 pubmed publisher..As numerous neddylation substrates probably remain to be discovered, we propose some criteria that could be used as guidelines for the characterization of neddylated proteins. ..
- Guetg C, Lienemann P, Sirri V, Grummt I, Hernandez Verdun D, Hottiger M, et al. The NoRC complex mediates the heterochromatin formation and stability of silent rRNA genes and centromeric repeats. EMBO J. 2010;29:2135-46 pubmed publisher..These findings point to a role of TIP5 in protecting genome stability and suggest that it can play a role in the cellular transformation process. ..
- Pfaffen S, Frey K, Stutz I, Roesli C, Neri D. Tumour-targeting properties of antibodies specific to MMP-1A, MMP-2 and MMP-3. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2010;37:1559-65 pubmed publisher..Antibodies specific to MMP-3 may serve as vehicles for the efficient and selective delivery of imaging agents or therapeutic molecules to sites of disease. ..
- Heinrich J, Schols D, Moelling K. A short hairpin loop-structured oligodeoxynucleotide targeting the virion-associated RNase H of HIV inhibits HIV production in cell culture and in huPBL-SCID mice. Intervirology. 2012;55:242-6 pubmed publisher..Treatment with ODN did not induce mutations of the PPT or the reverse transcriptase polymerase domain in vitro, whereas Foscarnet did. We furthermore demonstrate that ODNs inhibit HIV-1 replication in humanized HIV-infected SCID mice. ..
- Huang M, Chen C, Huber Reggi S, Neuhauss S, Straumann D. Comparison of infantile nystagmus syndrome in achiasmatic zebrafish and humans. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2011;1233:285-91 pubmed publisher..We hypothesized that human INS may also be linked to visual pathway abnormalities (possibly underdiagnosed in INS patients) in a similar way. ..
- Woodhams D, Bigler L, Marschang R. Tolerance of fungal infection in European water frogs exposed to Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis after experimental reduction of innate immune defenses. BMC Vet Res. 2012;8:197 pubmed publisher..lessonae) collected in the field with their natural microbiota intact were exposed to Bd after experimental reduction of microbiota, skin peptides, both, or neither to determine the relative contributions of these defenses...
- Dalquen D, Dessimoz C. Bidirectional best hits miss many orthologs in duplication-rich clades such as plants and animals. Genome Biol Evol. 2013;5:1800-6 pubmed publisher..Our analyses corroborate the findings of the previous study, but also show that because of the high rate of gene duplication in plants and animals, as much as 60% of orthologous relations are missed by the BBH criterion. ..
- Shah N, H lsmeier A, Hochhold N, Neidhart M, Gay S, Hennet T. Exposure to mimivirus collagen promotes arthritis. J Virol. 2014;88:838-45 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, our study shows that environmental exposure to mimivirus represents a risk factor in triggering autoimmunity to collagens...
- LourenÃ§o W, WilmÃ© L, Waeber P. More about the geographical pattern of distribution of the genus Pseudouroplectes LourenÃ§o, 1995 (Scorpiones: Buthidae) from Madagascar. C R Biol. 2016;339:37-43 pubmed publisher..The distribution patterns of the humicolous micro-scorpions endemic to Madagascar are considered to further explore the "Neogrosphus rule" as a possible explanation of global species distribution patterns in changing environments. ..
- Johnson L, Zuloaga K, Kugelman T, Mader K, Morré J, Zuloaga D, et al. Amelioration of Metabolic Syndrome-Associated Cognitive Impairments in Mice via a Reduction in Dietary Fat Content or Infusion of Non-Diabetic Plasma. EBioMedicine. 2016;3:26-42 pubmed publisher..Thus, the cognitive dysfunction accompanying MetS appears to be amenable to treatment, related to cerebrovascular function, and mitigated by systemic factors. ..
- Awasthi Mishra N, Drogemuller C, Jagannathan V, Keller I, Wüthrich D, Bruggmann R, et al. A structural variant in the 5'-flanking region of the TWIST2 gene affects melanocyte development in belted cattle. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180170 pubmed publisher..Our results thus implicate an unsuspected involvement of TWIST2 in regulating pigmentation and reveal a non-coding CNV underlying a captivating Mendelian character. ..
- Jando J, Camargo S, Herzog B, Verrey F. Expression and regulation of the neutral amino acid transporter B0AT1 in rat small intestine. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184845 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our experiments did not reveal an acute amino acid-induced regulation of B0AT1 but revealed a chronic dietary adaptation mainly restricted to the proximal segment of the small intestine. ..
- Jansen D, Cant M, Manser M. Segmental concatenation of individual signatures and context cues in banded mongoose (Mungos mungo) close calls. BMC Biol. 2012;10:97 pubmed publisher..We argue that temporal segregation of vocal signatures and cues evolves in species where communication of multiple unambiguous signals is crucial, but is limited by the number of call types produced. ..
- Arseniev A, Schultze P, Wörgötter E, Braun W, Wagner G, Vasak M, et al. Three-dimensional structure of rabbit liver [Cd7]metallothionein-2a in aqueous solution determined by nuclear magnetic resonance. J Mol Biol. 1988;201:637-57 pubmed..The improved structures of both domains show the previously noted differences relative to the recently published crystal structure of metallothionein-2a from rat liver. ..
- Bartsch S, Montag D, Schachner M, Bartsch U. Increased number of unmyelinated axons in optic nerves of adult mice deficient in the myelin-associated glycoprotein (MAG). Brain Res. 1997;762:231-4 pubmed..Our observations support the view that MAG is involved in the initiation of myelination in the CNS. ..
- Garcia F, Szyperski T, Dyer J, Choinowski T, Seedorf U, Hauser H, et al. NMR structure of the sterol carrier protein-2: implications for the biological role. J Mol Biol. 2000;295:595-603 pubmed
- Tissot A, Ciatto C, Mittl P, Grutter M, Pluckthun A. Viral escape at the molecular level explained by quantitative T-cell receptor/peptide/MHC interactions and the crystal structure of a peptide/MHC complex. J Mol Biol. 2000;302:873-85 pubmed..The former is a null ligand, while the latter still leads to some central tolerance. This work defines the structural and energetic threshold for viral escape. ..
- Hülsmeier A, Gehrig P, Geyer R, Sack R, Gottstein B, Deplazes P, et al. A major Echinococcus multilocularis antigen is a mucin-type glycoprotein. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:5742-8 pubmed..The data presented reveal that the Em2(G11) antigen is a mucin-type glycosylated protein. ..
- Bacic D, LeHir M, Biber J, Kaissling B, Murer H, Wagner C. The renal Na+/phosphate cotransporter NaPi-IIa is internalized via the receptor-mediated endocytic route in response to parathyroid hormone. Kidney Int. 2006;69:495-503 pubmed
- Som C, Bagheri H, Reyer H. Mutation accumulation and fitness effects in hybridogenetic populations: a comparison to sexual and asexual systems. BMC Evol Biol. 2007;7:80 pubmed
- Yung G, Valli P, Starke A, Mueller R, Fehr T, Cesar Ozpamir M, et al. Flow cytometric measurement of ABO antibodies in ABO-incompatible living donor kidney transplantation. Transplantation. 2007;84:S20-3 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, analysis of pre- and posttransplant Abs from ABO-incompatible kidney transplant recipients by ABO-FACS allows a better understanding of Ab kinetics, which may improve the design of future IADS protocols. ..
- Polymenidou M, Trusheim H, Stallmach L, Moos R, Julius C, Miele G, et al. Canine MDCK cell lines are refractory to infection with human and mouse prions. Vaccine. 2008;26:2601-14 pubmed publisher..These factors may account for their resistance to infection. Alternatively, prion resistance may be related to the specific sequence of canine Prnp, as suggested by the lack of documented prion diseases in dogs. ..
- Benninger E, Laschke M, Cardell M, Keel M, Seifert B, Trentz O, et al. Intra-abdominal pressure development after different temporary abdominal closure techniques in a porcine model. J Trauma. 2009;66:1118-24 pubmed publisher..The herein presented study aimed at the comparison of volume reserve capacity and development of intra-abdominal hypertension after forced primary abdominal closure and different TAC techniques in a porcine model...