Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Bern, Switzerland
Locale: Bern, Switzerland
Publications368 found, 100 shown here
- Gruber R, Bosshardt D, Miron R, Gemperli A, Buser D, Sculean A. Enamel matrix derivative inhibits adipocyte differentiation of 3T3-L1 cells via activation of TGF-?RI kinase activity. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71046 pubmed publisher..Moreover, short interfering (si)RNAs for CTGF partially reversed the EMD-induced suppression of lipid regulated genes. We conclude that the TGF-?RI - CTGF axis is involved in the anti-adipogenic effects of EMD in vitro. ..
- Matthews B, Aebischer T, Sullam K, Lundsgaard Hansen B, Seehausen O. Experimental Evidence of an Eco-evolutionary Feedback during Adaptive Divergence. Curr Biol. 2016;26:483-9 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results provide evidence for reciprocal interactions between ecosystem dynamics and evolutionary change (i.e., eco-evolutionary feedbacks) in the early stages of adaptive population divergence. ..
- Brunner M, Jagannathan V, Waluk D, Roosje P, Linek M, Panakova L, et al. Novel insights into the pathways regulating the canine hair cycle and their deregulation in alopecia X. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186469 pubmed publisher..These findings are in agreement with the so far proposed but not yet proven deregulation of the sex hormone metabolism in this disease...
- Munteanu A, Zingg J, Azzi A. Anti-atherosclerotic effects of vitamin E--myth or reality?. J Cell Mol Med. 2004;8:59-76 pubmed..g. scavenger receptors, integrins, selectins, cytokines, cyclins). These interactions promise to reveal the biological properties of vitamin E and allow designing better strategies for the protection against atherosclerosis progression. ..
- Doherr M. Brief review on the epidemiology of transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSE). Vaccine. 2007;25:5619-24 pubmed
- Niederhäuser S, Zahno M, Nenci C, Vogt H, Zanoni R, Peterhans E, et al. A Gag peptide encompassing B- and T-cell epitopes of the caprine arthritis encephalitis virus functions as modular carrier peptide. J Immunol Methods. 2009;342:82-90 pubmed publisher..Finally, we have mapped the epitopes involved in this polarized antibody response and discussed the potential immunological implications...
- Keller H. Redundancy of lamellipodia in locomoting Walker carcinosarcoma cells. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2000;46:247-56 pubmed..A unifying hypothesis for the formation of different types of protrusions is proposed. ..
- Iliev M, Gerber S. Long-term outcome of trans-scleral diode laser cyclophotocoagulation in refractory glaucoma. Br J Ophthalmol. 2007;91:1631-5 pubmed..Hypotony, the most common complication, may develop as late as 36 months post-treatment. Diagnostic category and age seem to influence the outcome stronger than laser protocol and delivered energy. ..
- Pusnik M, Charri re F, M ser P, Waller R, Dagley M, Lithgow T, et al. The single mitochondrial porin of Trypanosoma brucei is the main metabolite transporter in the outer mitochondrial membrane. Mol Biol Evol. 2009;26:671-80 pubmed publisher..Isolated mitochondria from the VDAC knockout cells import tRNA as efficiently as wild-type. Thus, unlike the scenario in plants, VDAC is not required for mitochondrial tRNA import in T. brucei...
- Pentassuglia L, Graf M, Lane H, Kuramochi Y, Cote G, Timolati F, et al. Inhibition of ErbB2 by receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors causes myofibrillar structural damage without cell death in adult rat cardiomyocytes. Exp Cell Res. 2009;315:1302-12 pubmed publisher..Clinical studies using ErbB2-targeted inhibitors for the treatment of cancer should be designed to include careful monitoring for cardiac dysfunction. ..
- Hamza E, Torsteinsdottir S, Eydal M, Frey C, Mirkovitch J, Brcic M, et al. Increased IL-4 and decreased regulatory cytokine production following relocation of Icelandic horses from a high to low endoparasite environment. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2010;133:40-50 pubmed publisher..Collectively, horses living in Iceland have a high parasite burden but low IL-4 production. This supports the hypothesis that heavy helminth infections have a suppressive effect on IL-4 production mediated by IL-10 and TGF-beta1. ..
- Frese Schaper M, Zbaeren J, Gugger M, Monestier M, Frese S. Reversal of established lupus nephritis and prolonged survival of New Zealand black x New Zealand white mice treated with the topoisomerase I inhibitor irinotecan. J Immunol. 2010;184:2175-82 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data provide evidence that irinotecan might represent an entirely new strategy for the treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus. ..
- Noti M, Corazza N, Mueller C, Berger B, Brunner T. TNF suppresses acute intestinal inflammation by inducing local glucocorticoid synthesis. J Exp Med. 2010;207:1057-66 pubmed publisher..These data show that TNF suppresses the pathogenesis of acute intestinal inflammation by promoting local steroidogenesis. ..
- Rossetti B, Frey J, Pilo P. Direct detection of Mycoplasma bovis in milk and tissue samples by real-time PCR. Mol Cell Probes. 2010;24:321-3 pubmed publisher..Here we describe a new specific real-time PCR assay targeting the uvrC gene that was developed to directly detect M. bovis from milk and tissue samples without laborious DNA purification. ..
- Mejri N, Muller N, Hemphill A, Gottstein B. Intraperitoneal Echinococcus multilocularis infection in mice modulates peritoneal CD4+ and CD8+ regulatory T cell development. Parasitol Int. 2011;60:45-53 pubmed publisher..multilocularis-infected mice. ..
- Batliner J, Mancarelli M, Jenal M, Reddy V, Fey M, Torbett B, et al. CLEC5A (MDL-1) is a novel PU.1 transcriptional target during myeloid differentiation. Mol Immunol. 2011;48:714-9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we found activation of a CLEC5A promoter reporter by PU.1 as well as in vivo binding of PU.1 to the CLEC5A promoter. Our findings indicate that CLEC5A expression in monocyte/macrophage and granulocytes is regulated by PU.1. ..
- Dandrieux J, Timm K, Roosje P, Welle M, Howard J, Brühschwein A, et al. Unusual systemic signs in a dog with sterile neutrophilic-macrophagic lymphadenitis and nodular panniculitis. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2011;47:117-21 pubmed publisher..This is an unusual presentation of a systemic sterile neutrophilic-macrophagic lymphadenitis with nodular panniculitis and vasculitis associated with gastrointestinal and pulmonary signs. ..
- Borer Reinhold M, Haeberli G, Bitzenhofer M, Jandus P, Hausmann O, Fricker M, et al. An increase in serum tryptase even below 11.4 ng/mL may indicate a mast cell-mediated hypersensitivity reaction: a prospective study in Hymenoptera venom allergic patients. Clin Exp Allergy. 2011;41:1777-83 pubmed publisher..During a systemic hypersensitivity reaction (SR), an increase in serum tryptase compared to the baseline value is an indicator of mast cell activation, most often due to an IgE-mediated mechanism...
- Wnuk M, Hlushchuk R, Janot M, Tuffin G, Martiny Baron G, Holzer P, et al. Podocyte EphB4 signaling helps recovery from glomerular injury. Kidney Int. 2012;81:1212-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results identify EphB4 signaling as a pathway allowing podocytes to survive transient capillary collapse during glomerular disease. ..
- Coelho F, Natale D, Soriano S, Hons M, Swoger J, Mayer J, et al. Naive B-cell trafficking is shaped by local chemokine availability and LFA-1-independent stromal interactions. Blood. 2013;121:4101-9 pubmed publisher..Our data provide an overview of the contribution of prototype GPCRs and integrins during naive B-cell migration and shed light on the local chemokine availability that these cells compute. ..
- Gillet L, Rougier J, Shy D, Sonntag S, Mougenot N, Essers M, et al. Cardiac-specific ablation of synapse-associated protein SAP97 in mice decreases potassium currents but not sodium current. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:181-92 pubmed publisher..Based on the important role of SAP97 in regulating the QT interval, DLG1 may be a susceptibility gene to be investigated in patients with congenital long QT syndrome. ..
- Lyck R, Lécuyer M, Abadier M, Wyss C, Matti C, Rosito M, et al. ALCAM (CD166) is involved in extravasation of monocytes rather than T cells across the blood-brain barrier. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2017;37:2894-2909 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study highlights the potential differences in the CNS expression of ALCAM in mouse and human and supports a prominent role for ALCAM in the multi-step extravasation of monocytes across the BBB. ..
- Conway K, Kim D, RÃ¼ber L, Espinosa PÃ©rez H, Hastings P. Molecular systematics of the New World clingfish genus Gobiesox (Teleostei: Gobiesocidae) and the origin of a freshwater clade. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2017;112:138-147 pubmed publisher..The phylogenetic hypotheses obtained are discussed briefly in relation to the two alternative classifications currently in use simultaneously for the Gobiesocidae. A rediagnosis and list of included species is provided for Gobiesox. ..
- Zhuang L, Trueb B. Evolution of the fusogenic activity of the receptor FGFRL1. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2017;625-626:54-64 pubmed publisher..The four amino acids are located in a hydrophobic pocket of the Ig3 domain. It is likely that this hydrophobic pocket interacts with a target molecule on the membrane of adjacent cells to induce cell-cell fusion. ..
- de Riva A, Wallberg M, Ronchi F, Coulson R, Sage A, Thorne L, et al. Regulation of type 1 diabetes development and B-cell activation in nonobese diabetic mice by early life exposure to a diabetogenic environment. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181964 pubmed publisher..The complexity of microbial immune regulation revealed in this murine model may also be relevant to the environmental regulation of human T1D. ..
- Capper Loup C, Canales J, Kadaba N, Graybiel A. Concurrent activation of dopamine D1 and D2 receptors is required to evoke neural and behavioral phenotypes of cocaine sensitization. J Neurosci. 2002;22:6218-27 pubmed
- Vihanto M, Plock J, Erni D, Frey B, Frey F, Huynh Do U. Hypoxia up-regulates expression of Eph receptors and ephrins in mouse skin. FASEB J. 2005;19:1689-91 pubmed..Furthermore, our model offers considerable potential for analyzing distinct mechanisms of neovascularization in gene-targeted mice. ..
- Peterhans E, Jungi T, Schweizer M. [How the bovine viral diarrhea virus outwits the immune system]. Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr. 2006;113:124-9 pubmed
- Hlushchuk R, Baum O, Gruber G, Wood J, Djonov V. The synergistic action of a VEGF-receptor tyrosine-kinase inhibitor and a sensitizing PDGF-receptor blocker depends upon the stage of vascular maturation. Microcirculation. 2007;14:813-25 pubmed
- Atanasov A, Leiser D, Roesselet C, Noti M, Corazza N, Schoonjans K, et al. Cell cycle-dependent regulation of extra-adrenal glucocorticoid synthesis in murine intestinal epithelial cells. FASEB J. 2008;22:4117-25 pubmed publisher..This mechanism may restrict intestinal glucocorticoid synthesis to the proliferating cells of the crypts. ..
- Gorgas D, Luder P, Lang J, Doherr M, Ueltschi G, Kircher P. Scintigraphic and radiographic appearance of the sacroiliac region in horses with gait abnormalities or poor performance. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 2009;50:208-14 pubmed..002, right side P = 0.003). In conclusion, the conformation of the sacrum may play an important role in the scintigraphic appearance and may be the cause of increased radiopharmaceutical uptake. ..
- Noti M, Sidler D, Brunner T. Extra-adrenal glucocorticoid synthesis in the intestinal epithelium: more than a drop in the ocean?. Semin Immunopathol. 2009;31:237-48 pubmed publisher..Therefore, this review attracts attention to discuss possible biological benefits of extra-adrenal-synthesized GC, especially focusing on the impact of locally synthesized GC in the regulation of intestinal immune responses. ..
- Frey C, Schuppers M, Eidam V, Boujon P, Waldvogel A, Gottstein B. [Occurrence of Trichinella spp. in wild boar in Switzerland]. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2009;151:485-9 pubmed publisher..2 %; 95 % CI 0.07 %-0.60 %). The occurrence of wild boar positive for anti-Trichinella-antibodies indicates that meat inspection for Trichinella-larvae in this species is important to prevent human infections. ..
- Weber B, Saurer L, Schenk M, Dickgreber N, Mueller C. CX3CR1 defines functionally distinct intestinal mononuclear phagocyte subsets which maintain their respective functions during homeostatic and inflammatory conditions. Eur J Immunol. 2011;41:773-9 pubmed publisher..These findings identify two functionally distinct iMNP subsets based on differential expression of CX3CR1 and indicate an unanticipated stability of iMNP. ..
- Geering B, Gurzeler U, Federzoni E, Kaufmann T, Simon H. A novel TNFR1-triggered apoptosis pathway mediated by class IA PI3Ks in neutrophils. Blood. 2011;117:5953-62 pubmed publisher..We conclude that in neutrophils, proapoptotic pathways after TNFR1 stimulation are initiated by p38 and PI3K, but not by caspase-8, a finding that should be considered in anti-inflammatory drug-development strategies. ..
- Badmann A, Keough A, Kaufmann T, Bouillet P, Brunner T, Corazza N. Role of TRAIL and the pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 homolog Bim in acetaminophen-induced liver damage. Cell Death Dis. 2011;2:e171 pubmed publisher..This study identifies the TRAIL-JNK-Bim axis as a novel target in the treatment of APAP-induced liver damage and substantiates its general role in hepatocyte death. ..
- Gendron K, Christe A, Walter S, Schweighauser A, Francey T, Doherr M, et al. Serial CT features of pulmonary leptospirosis in 10 dogs. Vet Rec. 2014;174:169 pubmed publisher..Pleural effusion (3/10) and mediastinal effusion (2/10) were mild and transient. Lesion severity appeared unassociated with survival to discharge. ..
- Tschui J, Feddern N, Schwendener N, Campana L, Utz S, Schweizer M, et al. When the prey gets too big: an uncommon road accident involving a motorcyclist, a car and a bird. Int J Legal Med. 2016;130:463-7 pubmed publisher..The overall findings suggested a collision of a common buzzard with a motorcyclist in full speed, causing the motorcyclist to lose control of his vehicle and crash with an approaching car on the oncoming lane. ..
- Teumer A, Tin A, Sorice R, Gorski M, Yeo N, Chu A, et al. Genome-wide Association Studies Identify Genetic Loci Associated With Albuminuria in Diabetes. Diabetes. 2016;65:803-17 pubmed publisher..Relative expression of RAB38 was higher in tubuli of patients with diabetic kidney disease compared with control subjects. The loci identified here confirm known pathways and highlight novel pathways influencing albuminuria. ..
- Dahlem D, Neiger R, Schweighauser A, Francey T, Yerramilli M, Obare E, et al. Plasma Symmetric Dimethylarginine Concentration in Dogs with Acute Kidney Injury and Chronic Kidney Disease. J Vet Intern Med. 2017;31:799-804 pubmed publisher..0004). In this population, SDMA was suitable for identifying dogs affected by AKI or CKD, but could not differentiate between them. ..
- Al Sayed M, Ruckstuhl C, Hilmenyuk T, Claus C, Bourquin J, Bornhauser B, et al. CD70 reverse signaling enhances NK cell function and immunosurveillance in CD27-expressing B-cell malignancies. Blood. 2017;130:297-309 pubmed publisher..Therefore, CD70 reverse signaling in NK cells contributes to the immune control of CD27-expressing B-cell lymphoma and leukemia. ..
- Steinert A, Linas I, Kaya B, Ibrahim M, Schlitzer A, Hruz P, et al. The Stimulation of Macrophages with TLR Ligands Supports Increased IL-19 Expression in Inflammatory Bowel Disease Patients and in Colitis Models. J Immunol. 2017;199:2570-2584 pubmed publisher..Microbial-driven expression of IL-19 by intestinal macrophages may contribute to the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease. ..
- Hebbandi Nanjundappa R, Ronchi F, Wang J, Clemente Casares X, Yamanouchi J, Sokke Umeshappa C, et al. A Gut Microbial Mimic that Hijacks Diabetogenic Autoreactivity to Suppress Colitis. Cell. 2017;171:655-667.e17 pubmed publisher..paperclip...
- Rebuffat A, Bernasconi A, Ceppi M, Wehrli H, Verca S, Ibrahim M, et al. Selective enhancement of gene transfer by steroid-mediated gene delivery. Nat Biotechnol. 2001;19:1155-61 pubmed..We propose that SMGD could be used as a platform for selective targeting of transgenes in nonviral somatic gene transfer. ..
- Mattioli I, Sebald A, Bucher C, Charles R, Nakano H, Doi T, et al. Transient and selective NF-kappa B p65 serine 536 phosphorylation induced by T cell costimulation is mediated by I kappa B kinase beta and controls the kinetics of p65 nuclear import. J Immunol. 2004;172:6336-44 pubmed
- Jackowski C, Sonnenschein M, Thali M, Aghayev E, von Allmen G, Yen K, et al. Virtopsy: postmortem minimally invasive angiography using cross section techniques--implementation and preliminary results. J Forensic Sci. 2005;50:1175-86 pubmed..Vascular pathologies such as calcification, stenosis and injury were detected. Limitations of the introduced approach are cases of major vessel injury and cases that show an advanced stage of decay. ..
- Mueller M, Atanasov A, Cima I, Corazza N, Schoonjans K, Brunner T. Differential regulation of glucocorticoid synthesis in murine intestinal epithelial versus adrenocortical cell lines. Endocrinology. 2007;148:1445-53 pubmed..We conclude that the molecular basis of glucocorticoid synthesis in intestinal epithelial cells is distinct from that in adrenal cells, most likely representing an adaptation to the local environment and different requirements. ..
- Abril C, Vilei E, Brodard I, Burnens A, Frey J, Miserez R. Discovery of insertion element ISCfe1: a new tool for Campylobacter fetus subspecies differentiation. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2007;13:993-1000 pubmed..The results are useful for identification and differentiation of the two C. fetus subspecies and will help in understanding the evolution and pathogenesis of C. fetus...
- Schenk M, Bouchon A, Seibold F, Mueller C. TREM-1--expressing intestinal macrophages crucially amplify chronic inflammation in experimental colitis and inflammatory bowel diseases. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:3097-106 pubmed..Therefore, TREM-1 may also represent an attractive target for the treatment of chronic inflammatory disorders. ..
- Trampuz A, Steinhuber A, Wittwer M, Leib S. Rapid diagnosis of experimental meningitis by bacterial heat production in cerebrospinal fluid. BMC Infect Dis. 2007;7:116 pubmed..meningitidis and <10 hours for Listeria monocytogenes using as little as 10 microl CSF were achieved. Calorimetry is a new diagnostic method allowing rapid and accurate diagnosis of bacterial meningitis from a small volume of CSF. ..
- Pasch A, Schaffner T, Huynh Do U, Frey B, Frey F, Farese S. Sodium thiosulfate prevents vascular calcifications in uremic rats. Kidney Int. 2008;74:1444-53 pubmed publisher..The negative impact on rat bone integrity necessitates a careful risk-benefit analysis before sodium thiosulfate can be used in individual human patients...
- Rieckmann T, Zhuang L, Flück C, Trueb B. Characterization of the first FGFRL1 mutation identified in a craniosynostosis patient. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1792:112-21 pubmed publisher..Deletion of either one led to the preferential redistribution of FGFRL1 to the plasma membrane. It is therefore likely that mutant FGFRL1 contributes to the skeletal malformations of the patient. ..
- Müller U, Haeberli G. The problem of anaphylaxis and mastocytosis. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2009;9:64-70 pubmed..In mastocytosis patients with anaphylaxis due to Hymenoptera stings, venom immunotherapy is recommended for life. ..
- Gerber S, Steinberg F, Beyeler M, Villiger P, Trueb B. The murine Fgfrl1 receptor is essential for the development of the metanephric kidney. Dev Biol. 2009;335:106-19 pubmed publisher..We also observed a loss of Pax2 positive nephron precursor cells and an increase of apoptosis in the cortical zone of the remnant kidney. Fgfrl1 is therefore essential for mesenchymal differentiation in the early steps of nephrogenesis. ..
- Zeeh F, Zimmermann W, Eichhorn L, Welle M, Blaser P, Albini S. [Mucormycosis due to Mycocladus corymbiferus in a fattening pig]. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2010;152:523-7 pubmed publisher..Absidia corymbifera) to be present. Similar abscesses should be examined as actinomycosis and leucosis are the main differential diagnoses. ..
- Lemoine M, Doligez B, Richner H. On the equivalence of host local adaptation and parasite maladaptation: an experimental test. Am Nat. 2012;179:270-81 pubmed publisher..Therefore, determining the mechanisms that underlie these local adaptation patterns requires the identification of the relevant fitness measures and life-history trade-offs in both species. ..
- Baker K, Rath T, Flak M, Arthur J, Chen Z, Glickman J, et al. Neonatal Fc receptor expression in dendritic cells mediates protective immunity against colorectal cancer. Immunity. 2013;39:1095-107 pubmed publisher..FcRn thus has a primary role within mucosal tissues in activating local immune responses that are critical for priming efficient anti-tumor immunosurveillance. ..
- Leiser D, Pochon B, Blank Liss W, Francica P, Glück A, Aebersold D, et al. Targeting of the MET receptor tyrosine kinase by small molecule inhibitors leads to MET accumulation by impairing the receptor downregulation. FEBS Lett. 2014;588:653-8 pubmed publisher..These data may suggest careful consideration for design of anti-MET clinical protocols. ..
- Swart E, Serra V, Petroni G, Nowacki M. Genetic Codes with No Dedicated Stop Codon: Context-Dependent Translation Termination. Cell. 2016;166:691-702 pubmed publisher..We further propose that such context-dependent termination/readthrough suppression near transcript ends enables genetic code evolution. ..
- Sandbaumhüter F, Theurillat R, Bektas R, Kutter A, Bettschart Wolfensberger R, Thormann W. Pharmacokinetics of ketamine and three metabolites in Beagle dogs under sevoflurane vs. medetomidine comedication assessed by enantioselective capillary electrophoresis. J Chromatogr A. 2016;1467:436-444 pubmed publisher..Medetomidine showed an effect on the formation and elimination of all metabolites. Stereoselectivities were detected for 6-hydroxynorketamine and DHNK, but not for ketamine and norketamine. ..
- Vial F, Wei W, Held L. Methodological challenges to multivariate syndromic surveillance: a case study using Swiss animal health data. BMC Vet Res. 2016;12:288 pubmed publisher..Deciding on the amount of corroboration among data streams that is required to escalate into an alert is not a trivial task given the sparse data on the events under consideration (e.g. disease outbreaks). ..
- Pawlina Tyszko K, Gurgul A, Szmatoła T, Ropka Molik K, Semik Gurgul E, Klukowska Rötzler J, et al. Genomic landscape of copy number variation and copy neutral loss of heterozygosity events in equine sarcoids reveals increased instability of the sarcoid genome. Biochimie. 2017;140:122-132 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results indicate the importance of cnLOH and CNV in equine sarcoid oncogenesis and present a direction of future research. ..
- Redaelli C, Wagner M, Günter Duwe D, Tian Y, Stahel P, Mazzucchelli L, et al. 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 shows strong and additive immunomodulatory effects with cyclosporine A in rat renal allotransplants. Kidney Int. 2002;61:288-96 pubmed..The present study investigated the effect of 1alpha,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol (1,25DHC) on vascularized renal allografts in rats...
- Cottagnoud P, Gerber C, Majcherczyk P, Acosta F, Cottagnoud M, Neftel K, et al. The stereochemistry of the amino acid side chain influences the inflammatory potential of muramyl dipeptide in experimental meningitis. Infect Immun. 2003;71:3663-6 pubmed..These data show that the inflammatory potential of MDPs depends on the stereochemistry of the first amino acid of the peptide side chain and suggest that intact pneumococci and MDPs induce inflammation by different pathways. ..
- Funke M, Fellrath J. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis secondary to lovebirds: a new cause of bird fancier's disease. Eur Respir J. 2008;32:517-21 pubmed publisher..These two procedures should allow a more precise classification of some cases of pneumonitis, and thus might avoid progression of active undiagnosed hypersensitivity pneumonitis to irreversible fibrosis or emphysema...
- Garweg J, Candolfi E. Immunopathology in ocular toxoplasmosis: facts and clues. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2009;104:211-20 pubmed..Its characteristic and variable features have been identified and the potential relevance of autoimmunity has been assessed. In light of this knowledge, potential future treatment options have been considered. ..
- Zhuang L, Karotki A, Bruecker P, Trueb B. Comparison of the receptor FGFRL1 from sea urchins and humans illustrates evolution of a zinc binding motif in the intracellular domain. BMC Biochem. 2009;10:33 pubmed publisher..The FGFRL1 gene has evolved much earlier than previously assumed. A comparison of the intracellular domain between sea urchin and human FGFRL1 provides interesting insights into the shaping of a novel zinc binding domain...
- de Lange E, Kucera J. Alternans resonance and propagation block during supernormal conduction in cardiac tissue with decreased [K(+)](o). Biophys J. 2010;98:1129-38 pubmed publisher..We conclude that supernormal conduction potentiates alternans and spatial analysis of IBIs represents a powerful method to locate tissue heterogeneities. ..
- Barthelmes D, Jakob S, Laitinen S, Rahikainen S, Ahonen H, Takala J. Effect of site of lactate infusion on regional lactate exchange in pigs. Br J Anaesth. 2010;105:627-34 pubmed publisher..Arterial lactate concentration does not depend on the site of lactate infusion. At higher arterial lactate concentrations, all regions participated in lactate uptake. ..
- Martin J, Romanque P, Maurhofer O, Schmitter K, Hora C, Ferrand G, et al. Ablation of the tumor suppressor histidine triad nucleotide binding protein 1 is protective against hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury. Hepatology. 2011;53:243-52 pubmed publisher..Hint1(-/-) Kupffer cells were less activated than control cells after stimulation with lipopolysaccharides. The Hint1 protein influences the course of I/R injury, and its ablation in Kupffer cells may limit the extent of the injury. ..
- Gkantidis N, Blumer S, Katsaros C, Graf D, Chiquet M. Site-specific expression of gelatinolytic activity during morphogenesis of the secondary palate in the mouse embryo. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47762 pubmed publisher..5. Whereas MMPs have been implicated in palatal fusion before, this is the first report showing that gelatinases might contribute to tissue remodeling during early stages of palatal shelf elevation and formation of the nasopharynx...
- Baur R, Kielar M, Richter L, Ernst M, Ecker G, Sigel E. Molecular analysis of the site for 2-arachidonylglycerol (2-AG) on the ?? subunit of GABA(A) receptors. J Neurochem. 2013;126:29-36 pubmed publisher..The influence of the structure of the head group of the ligand molecule on the activity of the molecule was also investigated. We present a model of 2-AG docked to the GABA(A) receptor. ..
- Blom S, Pfister J, Santello M, Senn W, Nevian T. Nerve injury-induced neuropathic pain causes disinhibition of the anterior cingulate cortex. J Neurosci. 2014;34:5754-64 pubmed publisher..These changes at the cortical network level might therefore contribute to the neuropathic pain condition. ..
- Di Zenzo G, Amber K, Sayar B, MÃ¼ller E, Borradori L. Immune response in pemphigus and beyond: progresses and emerging concepts. Semin Immunopathol. 2016;38:57-74 pubmed publisher..These new insights not only highlight the key role of Dsgs in maintenance of tissue homeostasis but are expected to progressively change pemphigus management, paving the way for novel targeted immunologic and pharmacologic therapies. ..
- Heiderich E, Failing K, Lierz M, Schildger B. The effect of endoscopic sterilization on reproductive behavior and pair bond maintenance of feral pigeons (Columba livia). Tierarztl Prax Ausg K Kleintiere Heimtiere. 2016;44:94-104 pubmed publisher..Therefore it is assumed that males remain fertile for a limited period of time. Endoscopic sterilization seems to be a promising method for field control of feral pigeon populations and sterilization of the male only seems sufficient. ..
- Kolly C, Suter M, Muller E. Proliferation, cell cycle exit, and onset of terminal differentiation in cultured keratinocytes: pre-programmed pathways in control of C-Myc and Notch1 prevail over extracellular calcium signals. J Invest Dermatol. 2005;124:1014-25 pubmed..Once triggered, completion of the terminal differentiation process depends on elevated extracellular calcium to stabilize intercellular junctions and components of the cornified envelope. ..
- Westerfeld N, Zurbriggen R. Peptides delivered by immunostimulating reconstituted influenza virosomes. J Pept Sci. 2005;11:707-12 pubmed..Here we review a new approach for prophylactic and therapeutic vaccines, which focuses on the induction of highly specific immune responses directed against antigen-derived peptides using a suitable carrier system. ..
- Korczak B, Zurfluh M, Emler S, Kuhn Oertli J, Kuhnert P. Multiplex strategy for multilocus sequence typing, fla typing, and genetic determination of antimicrobial resistance of Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli isolates collected in Switzerland. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:1996-2007 pubmed publisher..Data networking facilitates the exchange of information between collaborating centers. The described approach simplifies and improves the genotyping of Campylobacter, allowing cost- and time-efficient routine monitoring. ..
- Geiser M. Update on macrophage clearance of inhaled micro- and nanoparticles. J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv. 2010;23:207-17 pubmed publisher..Moreover, translocated particles may interact with lung macrophage populations that were previously not considered of great significance for the clearance of inhaled particles. ..
- Blaser C, Klein M, Grandgirard D, Wittwer M, Peltola H, Weigand M, et al. Adjuvant glycerol is not beneficial in experimental pneumococcal meningitis. BMC Infect Dis. 2010;10:84 pubmed publisher..However, this difference in matrix metalloproteinase-9 in late disease did not result in an improvement of histopathologic parameters. No benefit of adjunctive glycerol was found in these models of pneumococcal meningitis. ..