Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cell cycle proteins in Stockholm, Sweden
Locale: Stockholm, Sweden
Topic: cell cycle proteins
- Sangfelt O, Cepeda D, Malyukova A, van Drogen F, Reed S. Both SCF(Cdc4alpha) and SCF(Cdc4gamma) are required for cyclin E turnover in cell lines that do not overexpress cyclin E. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:1075-82 pubmed..Under these circumstances, Cdc4alpha is sufficient for cyclin E turnover. Furthermore, the requirement for Cdc4gamma can be bypassed by ectopic overexpression of cyclin E. ..
- Klaile E, Kukalev A, Obrink B, Müller M. PDIP38 is a novel mitotic spindle-associated protein that affects spindle organization and chromosome segregation. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:3180-6 pubmed..Taken together, the data indicate different roles for PDIP38 in safeguarding a proper cell division at various stages of the cell cycle, including DNA synthesis and repair, organization of the mitotic spindle and chromosome segregation. ..
- Akhoondi S, Lindstrom L, Widschwendter M, Corcoran M, Bergh J, Spruck C, et al. Inactivation of FBXW7/hCDC4-β expression by promoter hypermethylation is associated with favorable prognosis in primary breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res. 2010;12:R105 pubmed publisher..Future work may define whether FBXW7/hCDC4 methylation is a biomarker of the response to chemotherapy and a target for epigenetic modulation therapy. ..
- Acs K, Luijsterburg M, Ackermann L, Salomons F, Hoppe T, Dantuma N. The AAA-ATPase VCP/p97 promotes 53BP1 recruitment by removing L3MBTL1 from DNA double-strand breaks. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2011;18:1345-50 pubmed publisher..1 or CDC-48.2, or cofactors UFD-1 or NPL-4, are highly sensitive to ionizing radiation. Our data suggest that human RNF8 and RNF168 promote VCP-mediated displacement of L3MBTL1 to unmask 53BP1 chromatin binding sites. ..
- Fukuda T, Pratto F, Schimenti J, Turner J, Camerini Otero R, Hoog C. Phosphorylation of chromosome core components may serve as axis marks for the status of chromosomal events during mammalian meiosis. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002485 pubmed publisher..We propose that modifications of chromosome axis components serve as signals that facilitate chromosomal events including recombination, checkpoint control, transcription, and synapsis regulation...
- Sofiadis A, Dinets A, Orre L, Branca R, Juhlin C, Foukakis T, et al. Proteomic study of thyroid tumors reveals frequent up-regulation of the Ca2+ -binding protein S100A6 in papillary thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid. 2010;20:1067-76 pubmed publisher..BRAF gene mutation was not significantly associated with S100A6 protein levels. This study supports a role of S100A6 in thyroid tumorigenesis and as a potential aid in the discrimination between follicular thyroid tumors and PTC. ..
- Enervald E, Du L, Visnes T, Björkman A, Lindgren E, Wincent J, et al. A regulatory role for the cohesin loader NIPBL in nonhomologous end joining during immunoglobulin class switch recombination. J Exp Med. 2013;210:2503-13 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that NIPBL plays an important and evolutionarily conserved role in NHEJ, in addition to its canonical function in sister chromatid cohesion and its recently suggested function in HR. ..
- Blanco I, Kuchenbaecker K, Cuadras D, Wang X, Barrowdale D, de Garibay G, et al. Assessing associations between the AURKA-HMMR-TPX2-TUBG1 functional module and breast cancer risk in BRCA1/2 mutation carriers. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0120020 pubmed publisher..Together, the results of this study support the hypothesis of a causative link between altered function of AURKA-HMMR-TPX2-TUBG1 and breast carcinogenesis in BRCA1/2 mutation carriers. ..
- Pettersson M, Viljakainen H, Loid P, Mustila T, Pekkinen M, Armenio M, et al. Copy Number Variants Are Enriched in Individuals With Early-Onset Obesity and Highlight Novel Pathogenic Pathways. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:3029-3039 pubmed publisher..The involved genes might provide insights into pathogenic mechanisms and involved cellular pathways. These findings highlight the importance of CNV screening in children with early-onset obesity. ..
- Jaiswal H, Benada J, Müllers E, Akopyan K, Burdova K, Koolmeister T, et al. ATM/Wip1 activities at chromatin control Plk1 re-activation to determine G2 checkpoint duration. EMBO J. 2017;36:2161-2176 pubmed publisher..Our model shows how cell cycle restart can occur before completion of DNA repair and suggests a mechanism for checkpoint adaptation in human cells. ..
- Schoumans J, Wincent J, Barbaro M, Djureinovic T, Maguire P, Forsberg L, et al. Comprehensive mutational analysis of a cohort of Swedish Cornelia de Lange syndrome patients. Eur J Hum Genet. 2007;15:143-9 pubmed..However, in a considerable proportion of individuals demonstrating the CdLS phenotype, mutations in any of these two genes are not found and other potential loci harboring additional CdLS-causing genes should be considered...
- Kedra D, Seroussi E, Fransson I, Trifunovic J, Clark M, Lagercrantz J, et al. The germinal center kinase gene and a novel CDC25-like gene are located in the vicinity of the PYGM gene on 11q13. Hum Genet. 1997;100:611-9 pubmed
- Pan Hammarstrom Q, Dai S, Zhao Y, van Dijk Härd I, Gatti R, Børresen Dale A, et al. ATM is not required in somatic hypermutation of VH, but is involved in the introduction of mutations in the switch mu region. J Immunol. 2003;170:3707-16 pubmed..ATM may thus be one of the factors that is not shared by the CSR and SHM processes. ..
- Gubanova E, Brown B, Ivanov S, Helleday T, Mills G, Yarbrough W, et al. Downregulation of SMG-1 in HPV-positive head and neck squamous cell carcinoma due to promoter hypermethylation correlates with improved survival. Clin Cancer Res. 2012;18:1257-67 pubmed publisher..Levels of SMG-1 expression negatively correlated with HPV status in cancer cell lines and tumors. Diminished SMG-1 expression may contribute to the enhanced response to therapy exhibited by HPV-positive HNSCCs. ..
- Hellman K, Johansson H, Andersson S, Pettersson F, Auer G. Prognostic significance of cell cycle- and invasion-related molecular markers and genomic instability in primary carcinoma of the vagina. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2013;23:41-51 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of p53 was associated with short-term survival, but the only independent predictors of survival were age at diagnosis and tumor size. ..
- Einarsdóttir K, Humphreys K, Bonnard C, Li Y, Li Y, Chia K, et al. Effect of ATM, CHEK2 and ERBB2 TAGSNPs and haplotypes on endometrial cancer risk. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:154-64 pubmed..In conclusion, it is possible that common variants in the ATM and CHEK2 genes, in interaction with oestrogen-related exposures, are involved in endometrial cancer aetiology. ..
- Akhoondi S, Sun D, von der Lehr N, Apostolidou S, Klotz K, Maljukova A, et al. FBXW7/hCDC4 is a general tumor suppressor in human cancer. Cancer Res. 2007;67:9006-12 pubmed..Our study is the first comprehensive screen of FBXW7 mutations in various human malignancies and shows that FBXW7 is a general tumor suppressor in human cancer. ..
- Fayad W, Brnjic S, Berglind D, Blixt S, Shoshan M, Berndtsson M, et al. Restriction of cisplatin induction of acute apoptosis to a subpopulation of cells in a three-dimensional carcinoma culture model. Int J Cancer. 2009;125:2450-5 pubmed publisher..We propose that acute apoptosis is of minor significance for the overall response of carcinoma cells to cisplatin treatment. ..
- Ohlsson R, Bartkuhn M, Renkawitz R. CTCF shapes chromatin by multiple mechanisms: the impact of 20 years of CTCF research on understanding the workings of chromatin. Chromosoma. 2010;119:351-60 pubmed publisher..Two decades of research has advanced the understanding of the fundamental role that CTCF plays in regulating such a vast expanse of DNA. ..
- Ström L, Lindroos H, Shirahige K, Sjögren C. Postreplicative recruitment of cohesin to double-strand breaks is required for DNA repair. Mol Cell. 2004;16:1003-15 pubmed..Evidence is also provided that DSB induction elicits establishment of sister chromatid cohesion in G2, implicating that damage-recruited cohesin facilitates DNA repair by tethering chromatids. ..
- Yan J, Enge M, Whitington T, Dave K, Liu J, Sur I, et al. Transcription factor binding in human cells occurs in dense clusters formed around cohesin anchor sites. Cell. 2013;154:801-13 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that cohesin-binding functions as a cellular memory that promotes re-establishment of TF clusters after DNA replication and chromatin condensation. ..
- Arabi A, Ullah K, Branca R, Johansson J, Bandarra D, Haneklaus M, et al. Proteomic screen reveals Fbw7 as a modulator of the NF-?B pathway. Nat Commun. 2012;3:976 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, the apoptotic threshold can be increased by loss of Fbw7 in a p100-dependent manner. In conclusion, Fbw7-mediated destruction of p100 is a regulatory component restricting the response to NF-?B2 pathway stimulation. ..
- Li L, Sharipo A, Chaves Olarte E, Masucci M, Levitsky V, Thelestam M, et al. The Haemophilus ducreyi cytolethal distending toxin activates sensors of DNA damage and repair complexes in proliferating and non-proliferating cells. Cell Microbiol. 2002;4:87-99 pubmed..Induction of apoptotic death of immature DCs by HdCDT may represent a previously unknown mechanism of immune evasion by CDT-producing microbes...
- Aspenstrom P, Lindberg U, Hall A. Two GTPases, Cdc42 and Rac, bind directly to a protein implicated in the immunodeficiency disorder Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome. Curr Biol. 1996;6:70-5 pubmed..This observation, and the results presented here, suggest that WAS is the result of defects in signal transduction pathways regulated by Cdc42/Rac and Nck. ..
- Lerner M, Lundgren J, Akhoondi S, Jahn A, Ng H, Akbari Moqadam F, et al. MiRNA-27a controls FBW7/hCDC4-dependent cyclin E degradation and cell cycle progression. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:2172-83 pubmed..These data provide evidence for microRNA-mediated regulation of FBW7, and highlight the role of miR-27a as a novel factor fine-tuning the periodic events regulating cell cycle progression. ..
- Carter S, Sjögren C. The SMC complexes, DNA and chromosome topology: right or knot?. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2012;47:1-16 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the details of the relationship between the SMC complexes and topology. It also discusses the possibility that the SMC complexes are united by a capability to sense the geometrical chirality of DNA crossings. ..
- Starborg M, Brundell E, Gell K, Larsson C, White I, Daneholt B, et al. A murine replication protein accumulates temporarily in the heterochromatic regions of nuclei prior to initiation of DNA replication. J Cell Sci. 1995;108 ( Pt 3):927-34 pubmed..The chromosomal localization of the P1 gene was determined by fluorescence in situ hybridization to region 6p12 in human metaphase chromosomes. ..
- Sjögren C, Ström L. S-phase and DNA damage activated establishment of sister chromatid cohesion--importance for DNA repair. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:1445-53 pubmed publisher..Here, we present and discuss the current models for establishment of S-phase and DI-cohesion in the context of their involvement in DSB repair. ..
- De Petris L, Orre L, Kanter L, Pernemalm M, Koyi H, Lewensohn R, et al. Tumor expression of S100A6 correlates with survival of patients with stage I non-small-cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2009;63:410-7 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the survival results obtained in p53-negative stage I NSCLC cases support the proposed pro-apoptotic function of S100A6 and suggest the hypothesis of a cross regulation between these two proteins. ..
- Vieira E, Nilsson E, Nerstedt A, Ormestad M, Long Y, Garcia Roves P, et al. Relationship between AMPK and the transcriptional balance of clock-related genes in skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2008;295:E1032-7 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate AMPK heterotrimeric complexes containing the AMPKgamma(3) subunit may play a specific role in linking circadian oscillators and energy metabolism in skeletal muscle. ..
- Bao W, Thullberg M, Zhang H, Onischenko A, Stromblad S. Cell attachment to the extracellular matrix induces proteasomal degradation of p21(CIP1) via Cdc42/Rac1 signaling. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:4587-97 pubmed..Our results indicate that integrin-regulated proteasomal proteolysis might contribute to anchorage-dependent cell cycle control. ..
- Guerra L, Albihn A, Tronnersjö S, Yan Q, Guidi R, Stenerlow B, et al. Myc is required for activation of the ATM-dependent checkpoints in response to DNA damage. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8924 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that MYC contributes to the activation of the ATM-dependent checkpoint responses, leading to cell death in response to specific genotoxic stimuli. ..
- Karlberg T, Hammarström M, Schütz P, Svensson L, Schüler H. Crystal structure of the catalytic domain of human PARP2 in complex with PARP inhibitor ABT-888. Biochemistry. 2010;49:1056-8 pubmed publisher..These results contribute to our understanding of structural features and compound properties that can be employed to develop selective inhibitors of human ADP-ribosyltransferases. ..
- Hamer G, Novak I, Kouznetsova A, Hoog C. Disruption of pairing and synapsis of chromosomes causes stage-specific apoptosis of male meiotic cells. Theriogenology. 2008;69:333-9 pubmed..It seems that the epithelial stage IV checkpoint eliminates spermatocytes that fail a certain quality check, being either synapsis or DNA damage related. ..
- Platz A, Hansson J, Månsson Brahme E, Lagerlof B, Linder S, Lundqvist E, et al. Screening of germline mutations in the CDKN2A and CDKN2B genes in Swedish families with hereditary cutaneous melanoma. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1997;89:697-702 pubmed..No CDKN2A exon 1beta or CDKN2B mutations were identified. The critical genes responsible for the inheritance of a susceptibility to develop melanoma among family members in this population have yet to be identified. ..
- Qi D, Bergman M, Aihara H, Nibu Y, Mannervik M. Drosophila Ebi mediates Snail-dependent transcriptional repression through HDAC3-induced histone deacetylation. EMBO J. 2008;27:898-909 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that Snail requires the combined activities of Ebi and CtBP, and indicate that histone deacetylation is a repression mechanism in early Drosophila development. ..
- Lindroos H, Ström L, Itoh T, Katou Y, Shirahige K, Sjögren C. Chromosomal association of the Smc5/6 complex reveals that it functions in differently regulated pathways. Mol Cell. 2006;22:755-67 pubmed..Altogether this shows that the complex maintains genomic integrity in multiple ways, and evidence is presented that the Smc5/6 complex is needed during replication to prevent the accumulation of branched chromosome structures. ..
- Bhaskaran N, van Drogen F, Ng H, Kumar R, Ekholm Reed S, Peter M, et al. Fbw7? and Fbw7? collaborate to shuttle cyclin E1 into the nucleolus for multiubiquitylation. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:85-97 pubmed publisher..It is possible that this constitutes a mechanism for rapid inactivation of phosphorylated cyclin E by nucleolar sequestration prior to its multiubiquitylation and degradation. ..
- Fukuda T, Daniel K, Wojtasz L, Toth A, Hoog C. A novel mammalian HORMA domain-containing protein, HORMAD1, preferentially associates with unsynapsed meiotic chromosomes. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:158-71 pubmed publisher..Our results therefore strongly suggest that also mammalian cells use a HORMA domain-containing protein as part of a surveillance system that monitors synapsis or other interactions between homologs...
- Lilienthal I, Kanno T, Sjögren C. Inhibition of the Smc5/6 complex during meiosis perturbs joint molecule formation and resolution without significantly changing crossover or non-crossover levels. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003898 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the Smc5/6 complex aids primarily in the resolution of joint molecules formed outside of canonical inter-homolog pathways. ..
- Du L, Dunn Walters D, Chrzanowska K, Stankovic T, Kotnis A, Li X, et al. A regulatory role for NBS1 in strand-specific mutagenesis during somatic hypermutation. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2482 pubmed publisher..The Mre11-Rad50-NBS1 complex is thus unlikely to be the major nuclease involved in cleavage of the abasic sites during SHM, whereas NBS1 might have a specific role in regulating the strand-biased repair during phase Ib mutagenesis. ..
- Starborg M, Brundell E, Gell K, Hoog C. A novel murine gene encoding a 216-kDa protein is related to a mitotic checkpoint regulator previously identified in Aspergillus nidulans. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:24133-7 pubmed..This protein was found to be uniformly expressed throughout interphase of the cell cycle, whereas the level of this protein was lower in protein extracts prepared from mitotic cells. ..
- Ge Z, Li W, Wang N, Liu C, Zhu Q, Bjorkholm M, et al. Chromatin remodeling: recruitment of histone demethylase RBP2 by Mad1 for transcriptional repression of a Myc target gene, telomerase reverse transcriptase. FASEB J. 2010;24:579-86 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a novel mechanism through which the Myc/Max/Mad network proteins control their target gene transcription and provide insights into mechanisms underlying telomerase silencing and activation. ..
- Heldring N, Joseph B, Hermanson O, Kioussi C. Pitx2 expression promotes p21 expression and cell cycle exit in neural stem cells. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2012;11:884-92 pubmed..Our results suggest that Pitx2 promotes p21 expression and induces cell cycle exit in neural progenitors. ..
- Spinnler C, Hedstrom E, Li H, de Lange J, Nikulenkov F, Teunisse A, et al. Abrogation of Wip1 expression by RITA-activated p53 potentiates apoptosis induction via activation of ATM and inhibition of HdmX. Cell Death Differ. 2011;18:1736-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, RITA is an example of a p53-reactivating drug that not only blocks Hdm2, but also inhibits two important negative regulators of p53 - HdmX and Wip1, leading to efficient elimination of tumour cells. ..