Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Uppsala, Sweden
Locale: Uppsala, Sweden
Publications495 found, 100 shown here
- Lakic B, Wredle E, Svennersten Sjaunja K, Ostensson K. Is there a special mechanism behind the changes in somatic cell and polymorphonuclear leukocyte counts, and composition of milk after a single prolonged milking interval in cows?. Acta Vet Scand. 2009;51:4 pubmed publisher..Hence, we suggest that there is a special immunophysiological/chemoattractant background to the increased migration of leukocytes into the milk compartment observed during and after the PMI. ..
- Hellström A, Sundström E, Gunnarsson U, Bed Hom B, Tixier Boichard M, Honaker C, et al. Sex-linked barring in chickens is controlled by the CDKN2A /B tumour suppressor locus. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2010;23:521-30 pubmed publisher..This novel finding provides the first evidence that the tumour suppressor locus CDKN2A/B can affect pigmentation phenotypes and sheds new light on the functional significance of this gene. ..
- Bergqvist A, Johannisson A, Bäckgren L, Dalin A, Rodriguez Martinez H, Morrell J. Single layer centrifugation of stallion spermatozoa through Androcoll™-E does not adversely affect their capacitation-like status, as measured by CTC staining. Reprod Domest Anim. 2011;46:e74-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, SLC through Androcoll™-E does not adversely affect the capacitation-like status of stallion spermatozoa, although it did increase with time during cold storage. ..
- Tian G, Sandler S, Gylfe E, Tengholm A. Glucose- and hormone-induced cAMP oscillations in ?- and ?-cells within intact pancreatic islets. Diabetes. 2011;60:1535-43 pubmed publisher..The discovery of glucose- and glucagon-induced [cAMP](pm) oscillations in ?-cells indicates the involvement of cAMP in the regulation of pulsatile glucagon secretion. ..
- Löf E, Gustafsson H, Emanuelson U. Evaluation of two dairy herd reproductive performance indicators that are adjusted for voluntary waiting period. Acta Vet Scand. 2012;54:5 pubmed publisher..This indicates that PV30 could be a potential candidate for inclusion in dairy herd improvement schemes. ..
- Brunberg E, Jensen P, Isaksson A, Keeling L. Brain gene expression differences are associated with abnormal tail biting behavior in pigs. Genes Brain Behav. 2013;12:275-81 pubmed publisher..These are in line with hypotheses linking tail biting with reduced back fat thickness and explorative behavior...
- Zoerner F, Wiklund L, Miclescu A, Martijn C. Therapeutic hypothermia activates the endothelin and nitric oxide systems after cardiac arrest in a pig model of cardiopulmonary resuscitation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e64792 pubmed publisher..Our data suggests that the endothelin and nitric oxide pathways are activated by MTH in the heart. ..
- Wikström V, Fernström L, Melin L, Boqvist S. Salmonella isolated from individual reptiles and environmental samples from terraria in private households in Sweden. Acta Vet Scand. 2014;56:7 pubmed publisher..This constitutes public health risks and should be considered during handling of the reptiles and during cleaning and disposal of bedding. A combination of different culturing techniques may be used to increase the isolation rate. ..
- Wolff C, Emanuelson U, Ohlson A, Alenius S, Fall N. Bovine respiratory syncytial virus and bovine coronavirus in Swedish organic and conventional dairy herds. Acta Vet Scand. 2015;57:2 pubmed publisher..Because the incidence of herds becoming seropositive was balanced by herds becoming seronegative it should be possible to lower the prevalence of these two infections among Swedish dairy cattle herds if biosecurity is improved. ..
- Martinez Carranza N, Ryd L, Hultenby K, Hedlund H, Nurmi Sandh H, Lagerstedt A, et al. Treatment of full thickness focal cartilage lesions with a metallic resurfacing implant in a sheep animal model, 1 year evaluation. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2016;24:484-93 pubmed publisher..Our results showed a consistent and accurate placement of these implants at a defined zone. At this position cartilage wear of opposing and surrounding joint cartilage is limited. Thus expanded animal and human studies are motivated. ..
- Sletvold N, Trunschke J, Smit M, Verbeek J, Ã…gren J. Strong pollinator-mediated selection for increased flower brightness and contrast in a deceptive orchid. Evolution. 2016;70:716-24 pubmed publisher..The documented selection is consistent with facilitated pollination and selection for color convergence toward cooccurring rewarding species. ..
- Mushtaq M, Bongcam Rudloff E, Loftsdottir H, Pringle M, Segerman B, Zuerner R, et al. Genetic analysis of a Treponema phagedenis locus encoding antigenic lipoproteins with potential for antigenic variation. Vet Microbiol. 2016;189:91-8 pubmed publisher..The vpsA and prrA genes occur in allelic variants in different T. phagedenis isolates and may provide one explanation for the antigenic variation observed in T. phagedenis DD isolates. ..
- Lunden A, Carlsson U, Näslund K. Toxoplasmosis and border disease in 54 Swedish sheep flocks. Seroprevalence and incidence during one gestation period. Acta Vet Scand. 1992;33:175-84 pubmed..The proportion of BDV-positive flocks was significantly higher among flocks that had been in contact with cattle than among those that had not...
- Bjork I, Ylinenjärvi K. Interaction between chicken cystatin and the cysteine proteinases actinidin, chymopapain A, and ficin. Biochemistry. 1990;29:1770-6 pubmed..6 X 10(-7) s-1 for ficin to 1.1 X 10(-2) s-1 for actinidin, reflecting substantial differences between the enzymes in the nature of the interactions with the inhibitor.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Liu W, Yu W, Carling T, Juhlin C, Rastad J, Ridefelt P, et al. Regulation of gp330/megalin expression by vitamins A and D. Eur J Clin Invest. 1998;28:100-7 pubmed
- Sternbauer K, Luthman J, Jacobsson S. Flumethasone-induced insulin resistance in calves. Zentralbl Veterinarmed A. 1998;45:441-3 pubmed..At 24 h after treatment, insulin-dependent glucose utilization was reduced by 74% (P < 0.005). No significant changes occurred 72 h post-treatment. ..
- Frisk G, Lindberg M, Diderholm H, Oiderholm H. Persistence of coxsackievirus B4 infection in rhabdomyosarcoma cells for 30 months. Brief report. Arch Virol. 1999;144:2239-45 pubmed..Test for ts mutants showed that the persistence of the CBV-4 strain was not dependent upon incubation temperature and addition of the antiviral compound disoxaril did not cure the piRD cells. ..
- Wikberg J, Muceniece R, Mandrika I, Prusis P, Lindblom J, Post C, et al. New aspects on the melanocortins and their receptors. Pharmacol Res. 2000;42:393-420 pubmed..Moreover, evidence is discussed suggesting that while many of the actions of the melanocortins are mediated via melanocortin receptors, some appear to be mediated via mechanisms distinct from melanocortin receptors. ..
- Ardell D, Andersen S. Tentative identification of a resilin gene in Drosophila melanogaster. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2001;31:965-70 pubmed..Accordingly, we suggest that gene product CG15920 is a Drosophila resilin precursor. ..
- von der Lehr N, Johansson S, Larsson L. Implication of the ubiquitin/proteasome system in Myc-regulated transcription. Cell Cycle. 2003;2:403-7 pubmed..Taken together these findings suggest a role of the ubiquitin/proteasome system in c-Myc-regulated transcription. A hypothetical model discussing the link between ubiquitylation and transcription will be presented. ..
- Kultima K, Fernandez E, Scholz B, Gustafson A, Dencker L, Stigson M. Cadmium-induced gene expression changes in the mouse embryo, and the influence of pretreatment with zinc. Reprod Toxicol. 2006;22:636-46 pubmed
- Troell K, Engström A, Morrison D, Mattsson J, Hoglund J. Global patterns reveal strong population structure in Haemonchus contortus, a nematode parasite of domesticated ruminants. Int J Parasitol. 2006;36:1305-16 pubmed..contortus, the calculation of population structure gave high values (Nst=0.59). The strong structure was present also for the four Swedish isolates (Nst=0.16) representing a small geographical area...
- Zhang S, Ekman M, Thakur N, Bu S, Davoodpour P, Grimsby S, et al. TGFbeta1-induced activation of ATM and p53 mediates apoptosis in a Smad7-dependent manner. Cell Cycle. 2006;5:2787-95 pubmed..Our data imply that Smad7 plays a crucial role upstream of ATM and p53 to protect the genome from insults evoked by extracellular stress. ..
- Gonzalez Voyer A, Winberg S, Kolm N. Social fishes and single mothers: brain evolution in African cichlids. Proc Biol Sci. 2009;276:161-7 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that more complex social interactions associated with diet select for larger brains and further that the burden of uniparental care exerts high cognitive demands on females...
- Tchougounova E, Jiang Y, Bråsäter D, Lindberg N, Kastemar M, Asplund A, et al. Sox5 can suppress platelet-derived growth factor B-induced glioma development in Ink4a-deficient mice through induction of acute cellular senescence. Oncogene. 2009;28:1537-48 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a novel pathway, where Sox5 may suppress the oncogenic effects of PDGFB signaling during glioma development by regulating p27(Kip1) in a p19(Arf)-dependent manner, leading to acute cellular senescence. ..
- Morrell J, Saravia F, VAN Wienen M, Wallgren M, Rodriguez Martinez H. Selection of boar spermatozoa using centrifugation on a glycidoxypropyltrimethoxysilane-coated silica colloid. J Reprod Dev. 2009;55:547-52 pubmed..In a further experiment, larger volumes of ejaculate were processed easily on a modified SLC, indicating that this method may be practical for processing large volumes of boar ejaculates. ..
- Qvarnström A, Rice A, Ellegren H. Speciation in Ficedula flycatchers. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2010;365:1841-52 pubmed publisher..We discuss how identification of the genes underlying the three major sources of reproductive isolation can be used to draw conclusions about links between the processes driving their evolution. ..
- Lin X, Novotny M, Soderhall K, Söderhäll I. Ancient cytokines, the role of astakines as hematopoietic growth factors. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:28577-86 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we discuss the impact of the putative structures of different astakines in comparison with the vertebrate prokineticins...
- Ka S, Albert F, Denbow D, Paabo S, Siegel P, Andersson L, et al. Differentially expressed genes in hypothalamus in relation to genomic regions under selection in two chicken lines resulting from divergent selection for high or low body weight. Neurogenetics. 2011;12:211-21 pubmed publisher..Because of such differential gene expression in hypothalamus, the lines may adapt behaviourally different particularly to the post-hatch situation when independent feeding to obtain energy is established. ..
- Malmberg J, Sandström M, Wester K, Tolmachev V, Orlova A. Comparative biodistribution of imaging agents for in vivo molecular profiling of disseminated prostate cancer in mice bearing prostate cancer xenografts: focus on 111In- and 125I-labeled anti-HER2 humanized monoclonal trastuzumab and ABY-025 affibody. Nucl Med Biol. 2011;38:1093-102 pubmed publisher..The influence of (111)In vs. (125)I radiolabel was evaluated for both tracers...
- Brink M, Ståhl K, Masembe C, Okurut A, Berg M, Blomström A. First time molecular detection and phylogenetic relationships of torque teno sus virus 1 and 2 in domestic pigs in Uganda: further evidence for a global distribution. Virol J. 2012;9:39 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the aim of this study was to investigate the possible presence of the two viruses in domestic pigs in Uganda, and describe the phylogenetic relationships to those in the rest of the world...
- Granberg F, Vicente Rubiano M, Rubio Guerri C, Karlsson O, Kukielka D, BelÃ¡k S, et al. Metagenomic detection of viral pathogens in Spanish honeybees: co-infection by Aphid Lethal Paralysis, Israel Acute Paralysis and Lake Sinai Viruses. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57459 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate the new possibilities opened up by high-throughput sequencing and metagenomic analysis to study emerging new diseases in domestic and wild animal populations, including honeybees. ..
- Koskiniemi S, Gibbons H, Sandegren L, Anwar N, Ouellette G, Broomall S, et al. Pathoadaptive mutations in Salmonella enterica isolated after serial passage in mice. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e70147 pubmed publisher..These experiments show that Salmonella can rapidly adapt to a mouse environment by acquiring a few mutations of moderate individual effect that when combined confer substantial increases in growth. ..
- Stuen S, Okstad W, Artursson K, Al Khedery B, Barbet A, Granquist E. Lambs immunized with an inactivated variant of Anaplasma phagocytophilum. Acta Vet Scand. 2015;57:40 pubmed publisher..e. significant reduction in infection rate and a significantly higher antibody titer. Immunization with inactivated A. phagocytophilum did not protect lambs TBF. ..
- Poretti M, Sawant R, Rask Andersen M, de Cuneo M, SchiÃ¶th H, Perez M, et al. Reduced vasopressin receptors activation mediates the anti-depressant effects of fluoxetine and venlafaxine in bulbectomy model of depression. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2016;233:1077-86 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, a full restoration of depressive behavior was observed in OB-fluoxetine- or venlafaxine-treated mice only when AVP was centrally administered but not CRH. ..
- Martikainen M, Ruotsalainen J, Tuomela J, Härkönen P, Essand M, Heikkila J, et al. Oncolytic alphavirus SFV-VA7 efficiently eradicates subcutaneous and orthotopic human prostate tumours in mice. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:51-55 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that SFV-VA7 is a novel, promising therapeutic virus against prostate cancer warranting further testing in early clinical trials. ..
- Pejler G. Lactoferrin regulates the activity of heparin proteoglycan-bound mast cell chymase: characterization of the binding of heparin to lactoferrin. Biochem J. 1996;320 ( Pt 3):897-903 pubmed..Further, the 6-O-, 2-O- and N-sulphate groups in heparin were of approximately equal importance for binding. Octasaccharides were the smallest heparin oligosaccharides showing significant binding to LF. ..
- Nakao A, Afrakhte M, Moren A, Nakayama T, Christian J, Heuchel R, et al. Identification of Smad7, a TGFbeta-inducible antagonist of TGF-beta signalling. Nature. 1997;389:631-5 pubmed..TGF-beta rapidly induces expression of Smad7 mRNA, suggesting that Smad7 may participate in a negative feedback loop to control TGF-beta responses. ..
- Afrakhte M, Moren A, Jossan S, Itoh S, Sampath K, Westermark B, et al. Induction of inhibitory Smad6 and Smad7 mRNA by TGF-beta family members. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;249:505-11 pubmed..Thus, expression of inhibitory Smads is induced by multiple stimuli, including the various TGF-beta family members, whose action they antagonize. ..
- Liminga M, Oliw E. cDNA cloning of 15-lipoxygenase type 2 and 12-lipoxygenases of bovine corneal epithelium. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1437:124-35 pubmed..Finally, PCR and sequencing suggested that human corneal epithelium contains 15-lipoxygenase types 1 and 2. ..
- Brodin G, ten Dijke P, Funa K, Heldin C, Landstrom M. Increased smad expression and activation are associated with apoptosis in normal and malignant prostate after castration. Cancer Res. 1999;59:2731-8 pubmed..Our results suggest that the signal transduction pathway for TGF-beta, leading to apoptosis, is activated in the normal prostate after castration and in the tumor model after castration, without or with estrogen treatment. ..
- Ohlsson R, Falck P, Hellstrom M, Lindahl P, Bostrom H, Franklin G, et al. PDGFB regulates the development of the labyrinthine layer of the mouse fetal placenta. Dev Biol. 1999;212:124-36 pubmed..We point out that the roles of PDGFB/Rbeta signaling in the placenta may be analogous to those in the developing kidney, by controlling pericytes in the labyrinthine layer and mesangial cells in the kidney. ..
- Wahlstrom H, Carpenter T, Giesecke J, Andersson M, Englund L, Vågsholm I. Herd-based monitoring for tuberculosis in extensive swedish deer herds by culling and meat inspection rather than by intradermal tuberculin testing. Prev Vet Med. 2000;43:103-16 pubmed..The model predicted that, given a 20% annual slaughter and that disease was introduced with one infected deer, the infection would be detected or eliminated in most herds (90%) after 15 years. ..
- Mårs U, Tolmachev V, Sundin A. Positron emission tomography of experimental melanoma with. Nucl Med Biol. 2000;27:845-9 pubmed..These results show the possibility of using [(76)Br]5-bromo-2-thiouracil for PET diagnostics of melanoma, including dosimetry, prior to targeted therapy using [(131)I]5-iodo-2-thiouracil or [(211)At]5-astato-2-thiouracil...
- Damberg M, Berggard C, Oreland L. Phenelzine treatment increases transcription factor AP-2 levels in rat brain. BMC Pharmacol. 2003;3:10 pubmed..These data suggest that AP-2 is not involved in the therapeutic effect of antidepressants. Rather, the effects of antidepressants seen on the levels of AP-2 might be involved in the expression of side-effects during the lag-period. ..
- Gustås P, Johnston C, Roepstorff L, Drevemo S, Lanshammar H. Relationships between fore- and hindlimb ground reaction force and hoof deceleration patterns in trotting horses. Equine Vet J. 2004;36:737-42 pubmed..In the forelimb, there are indications that the period of horizontal deceleration of the hoof is related to the attenuation of shockwaves. In the hindlimb, information about the hoof deceleration has been lacking...
- Bilde T, Maklakov A, Meisner K, la Guardia L, Friberg U. Sex differences in the genetic architecture of lifespan in a seed beetle: extreme inbreeding extends male lifespan. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:33 pubmed publisher..We therefore suggest that sex-specific differences in lifespan in this species primarily result from sexually divergent selection. ..
- Albert F, Carlborg O, Plyusnina I, Besnier F, Hedwig D, Lautenschläger S, et al. Genetic architecture of tameness in a rat model of animal domestication. Genetics. 2009;182:541-54 pubmed publisher..The loci described here are important starting points for finding the genes that cause tameness in these rats and potentially in domestic animals in general. ..
- Richter Boix A, Teplitsky C, Rogell B, Laurila A. Local selection modifies phenotypic divergence among Rana temporaria populations in the presence of gene flow. Mol Ecol. 2010;19:716-31 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that local adaptation can evolve in the presence of ongoing gene flow among the populations, and that natural selection is strong in this system...
- Ringqvist E, Avesson L, Söderbom F, Svard S. Transcriptional changes in Giardia during host-parasite interactions. Int J Parasitol. 2011;41:277-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, there are extensive gene expression changes in Giardia trophozoites and IECs during host-parasite interactions which can be important for establishment of infection and the induction of giardiasis...
- Keeling L, Wallenbeck A, Larsen A, Holmgren N. Scoring tail damage in pigs: an evaluation based on recordings at Swedish slaughterhouses. Acta Vet Scand. 2012;54:32 pubmed publisher..The scale consists of one class for no tail damage, one for mild tail damage (injured or shortened tail with more than half of the tail remaining) and one for severe tail damage (half or less of the tail remaining). ..
- Unnerstad H, Bengtsson B, Horn af Rantzien M, Borjesson S. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus containing mecC in Swedish dairy cows. Acta Vet Scand. 2013;55:6 pubmed publisher..However, due to the report of mecC, a novel homologue to the mecA gene, there was reason to re-evaluate susceptibility results from strain collections of Staphylococcus aureus and test suspected isolates for the presence of mecC...
- Björn L, Bengtson S, Li S, Hecker C, Ullah S, Roos A, et al. Thermal emissivity of avian eggshells. J Therm Biol. 2016;57:1-5 pubmed publisher..The spectral differences between eggs that nevertheless exist should be taken into account when using infrared thermometers for estimating the surface temperature of avian eggs. ..
- Sundquist S, Modiri A, Nilsson B, Hacksell U, Gillberg P, Nilvebrant L. Pharmacological characterisation of the enantiomers of BM-5, a muscarinic partial agonist with opposed enantioselectivity between affinity and efficacy. Pharmacol Toxicol. 2000;86:44-50 pubmed..R)-BM-5 showed agonist activity in vivo, confirming in vitro findings. From affinity and efficacy data it can be concluded that the effects of racemic BM-5 are mediated by the (R)-enantiomer. ..
- Baule C, Kulcsar G, Belak K, Albert M, Mittelholzer C, Soos T, et al. Pathogenesis of primary respiratory disease induced by isolates from a new genetic cluster of bovine viral diarrhea virus type I. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:146-53 pubmed..Virus shedding and its presence in tissues following peripheral clearance and in the presence of antibodies may have implications in the diagnosis, pathogenesis, and epidemiology of BVDV-induced syndromes in cattle. ..
- Lundin L, Ronnstrand L, Cross M, Hellberg C, Lindahl U, Claesson Welsh L. Differential tyrosine phosphorylation of fibroblast growth factor (FGF) receptor-1 and receptor proximal signal transduction in response to FGF-2 and heparin. Exp Cell Res. 2003;287:190-8 pubmed..Our data imply that tyrosine 463 is phosphorylated and able to transduce signals in response to FGF-2 treatment alone; furthermore, we suggest that FGFR-1 dimerization/kinase activation is stabilized by heparin. ..
- Kommalage M, Höglund A. Involvement of spinal serotonin receptors in the regulation of intraspinal acetylcholine release. Eur J Pharmacol. 2005;509:127-34 pubmed..The results suggest that 5-HT1A and the 5-HT2A receptors are involved in the regulation of acetylcholine release in the spinal cord...
- Karkehabadi S, Peddi S, Anwaruzzaman M, Taylor T, Cederlund A, Genkov T, et al. Chimeric small subunits influence catalysis without causing global conformational changes in the crystal structure of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase. Biochemistry. 2005;44:9851-61 pubmed..This loop may be a worthwhile target for genetic engineering aimed at improving photosynthetic CO(2) fixation. ..
- Carlström M, Sällström J, Skøtt O, Larsson E, Persson A. Uninephrectomy in young age or chronic salt loading causes salt-sensitive hypertension in adult rats. Hypertension. 2007;49:1342-50 pubmed..In conclusion, at a young age after completed nephrogenesis, uninephrectomy or chronic salt loading causes renal and cardiovascular injury with salt-sensitive hypertension. ..
- Franzen P, Aspan A, Egenvall A, Gunnarsson A, Karlstam E, Pringle J. Molecular evidence for persistence of Anaplasma phagocytophilum in the absence of clinical abnormalities in horses after recovery from acute experimental infection. J Vet Intern Med. 2009;23:636-42 pubmed publisher..phagocytophilum. Infection with A. phagocytophilum can persist in the horse for at least 129 days. However, the continued presence of the organism is not associated with detectable clinical or pathological abnormalities. ..
- Waern I, Jonasson S, Hjoberg J, Bucht A, Abrink M, Pejler G, et al. Mouse mast cell protease 4 is the major chymase in murine airways and has a protective role in allergic airway inflammation. J Immunol. 2009;183:6369-76 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that chymase present in the upper airways protects against allergic airway responses, possibly by regulating SMCs. ..
- Olszewski P, Fredriksson R, Olszewska A, Stephansson O, Alsiö J, Radomska K, et al. Hypothalamic FTO is associated with the regulation of energy intake not feeding reward. BMC Neurosci. 2009;10:129 pubmed publisher..In line with that, neurons involved in feeding termination express FTO. Interestingly, baseline FTO expression appears linked not only with energy intake but also energy metabolism. ..
- Borjesson A, Rønn S, Karlsen A, Billestrup N, Sandler S. ?-cell specific overexpression of suppressor of cytokine signalling-3 does not protect against multiple low dose streptozotocin induced type 1 diabetes in mice. Immunol Lett. 2011;136:74-9 pubmed publisher..This may have counteracted a protective effect against MLDSTZ in SOCS-3 transgenic mice. ..
- Backström T, Pettersson A, Johansson V, Winberg S. CRF and urotensin I effects on aggression and anxiety-like behavior in rainbow trout. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:907-14 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, CRF seems to attenuate competitive ability, and both CRF and UI seem to induce anxiety-like behavior. ..
- Brunberg E, Jensen P, Isaksson A, Keeling L. Feather pecking behavior in laying hens: hypothalamic gene expression in birds performing and receiving pecks. Poult Sci. 2011;90:1145-52 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study provides a gene list that may be useful in further research on the mechanisms behind FP. ..
- Ochala J, Ahlbeck K, Radell P, Eriksson L, Larsson L. Factors underlying the early limb muscle weakness in acute quadriplegic myopathy using an experimental ICU porcine model. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20876 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the rapid declines in CMAP amplitude and in force generation capacity are triggered by independent mechanisms with significant clinical and therapeutic implications. ..
- Olsson R, Carlsson P. A low-oxygenated subpopulation of pancreatic islets constitutes a functional reserve of endocrine cells. Diabetes. 2011;60:2068-75 pubmed publisher..This study establishes a novel perspective on the use of the endocrine pancreas in glucose homeostasis. ..
- Kruse R, Dutta P, Morrell J. Colloid centrifugation removes seminal plasma and cholesterol from boar spermatozoa. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2011;23:858-65 pubmed publisher..Further studies are underway to examine the relevance of these findings to boar sperm cryopreservation and sperm fertility. ..
- Sundstr m E, Imsland F, Mikko S, Wade C, Sigurdsson S, Pielberg G, et al. Copy number expansion of the STX17 duplication in melanoma tissue from Grey horses. BMC Genomics. 2012;13:365 pubmed publisher..The elucidation of the mechanistic features of the duplication will be of considerable interest for the characterization of these horse melanomas as well as for the field of human melanoma research...
- Duse A, Waller K, Emanuelson U, Unnerstad H, Persson Y, Bengtsson B. Farming practices in Sweden related to feeding milk and colostrum from cows treated with antimicrobials to dairy calves. Acta Vet Scand. 2013;55:49 pubmed publisher..Future work should focus on the effect of waste milk feeding on the occurrence of antimicrobial resistant bacteria in the calves' intestinal microbiota. ..
- Joffre T, Isaksson P, Procter P, Persson C. Trabecular deformations during screw pull-out: a micro-CT study of lapine bone. Biomech Model Mechanobiol. 2017;16:1349-1359 pubmed publisher..Tensile strains were somewhat smaller. Strain concentrations and the location of trabecular failures provide experimental information that could be used in the development of new screw designs and/or to validate numerical simulations. ..
- Johansson F, Halvarsson P, Mikolajewski D, Höglund J. Phylogeography and larval spine length of the dragonfly Leucorhinia dubia in Europe. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184596 pubmed publisher..The role of predators in shaping the morphological differences among the sampled localities is discussed. ..
- Osterdahl B. Effect of water on nitrosamine formation in fried bacon. Food Addit Contam. 1988;5:33-7 pubmed..Soaking for 5 minutes reduced N-nitrosopyrrolidine levels by as much as 52%, but had little effect on N-nitrosodimethylamine levels. Longer soaking periods, up to 17 hours, gave the same results. ..
- Chowdhary B, de la Sena C, Harbitz I, Eriksson L, Gustavsson I. FISH on metaphase and interphase chromosomes demonstrates the physical order of the genes for GPI, CRC, and LIPE in pigs. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1995;71:175-8 pubmed..These experiments demonstrated that the gene order was cen-GPI-CRC-LIPE. This order was confirmed by cohybridizing the three probes to both metaphase and interphase chromosomes. ..
- ten Dijke P, Yamashita H, Ichijo H, Franzen P, Laiho M, Miyazono K, et al. Characterization of type I receptors for transforming growth factor-beta and activin. Science. 1994;264:101-4 pubmed
- Yamashita H, Ichijo H, Grimsby S, Moren A, ten Dijke P, Miyazono K. Endoglin forms a heteromeric complex with the signaling receptors for transforming growth factor-beta. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:1995-2001 pubmed..These results revealed that endoglin is a phosphorylated protein which forms a heteromeric complex with signaling receptors for TGF-beta. ..
- Souchelnytskyi S, ten Dijke P, Miyazono K, Heldin C. Phosphorylation of Ser165 in TGF-beta type I receptor modulates TGF-beta1-induced cellular responses. EMBO J. 1996;15:6231-40 pubmed..Mutations of Ser165 changed the phosphorylation pattern of TbetaR-I. These observations suggest that TGF-beta receptor signaling specificity is modulated by phosphorylation of Ser165 of TbetaR-I. ..
- Nordenfors H, Hoglund J. Long term dynamics of dermanyssus gallinae in relation to mite control measures in aviary systems for layers. Br Poult Sci. 2000;41:533-40 pubmed..As the hens are attacked mainly at night-time the most likely explanation is that the mites adjust their behavioural pattern to the birds' roosting behaviour. ..
- Eklund G, Grawe K, Oskarsson A. Bioavailability of cadmium from infant diets in newborn rats. Arch Toxicol. 2001;75:522-30 pubmed