Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Uppsala, Sweden
Locale: Uppsala, Sweden
Publications699 found, 100 shown here
- Nordquist L, Brown R, Fasching A, Persson P, Palm F. Proinsulin C-peptide reduces diabetes-induced glomerular hyperfiltration via efferent arteriole dilation and inhibition of tubular sodium reabsorption. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2009;297:F1265-72 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new mechanistic insight into the beneficial effects of C-peptide on diabetic kidney function. ..
- Rodriguez Martinez H, Saravia F, Wallgren M, Martinez E, Sanz L, Roca J, et al. Spermadhesin PSP-I/PSP-II heterodimer induces migration of polymorphonuclear neutrophils into the uterine cavity of the sow. J Reprod Immunol. 2010;84:57-65 pubmed publisher..These data show that PSP-I/PSP-II heterodimer in seminal plasma has a predominant role in triggering the recruitment of uterine PMNs and T cells after mating, initiating a cascade of transient and long-lasting immunological events. ..
- Hillström A, Tvedten H, Lilliehöök I. Evaluation of an in-clinic Serum Amyloid A (SAA) assay and assessment of the effects of storage on SAA samples. Acta Vet Scand. 2010;52:8 pubmed publisher..Dilution of samples gave inconsistent results. SAA was stable both at room temperature and refrigerated, and thus samples may be stored before analysis with the reference method. ..
- Kazancioglu E, Alonzo S. The evolution of optimal female mating rate changes the coevolutionary dynamics of female resistance and male persistence. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2012;367:2339-47 pubmed publisher..We argue that it is essential to determine when and to what extent costs of mating are caused by male persistence in order to understand and accurately predict coevolutionary dynamics of traits involved in mating decisions. ..
- Badiali L, Cedernaes J, Olszewski P, Nylander O, Vergoni A, Schioth H. Adhesion GPCRs are widely expressed throughout the subsections of the gastrointestinal tract. BMC Gastroenterol. 2012;12:134 pubmed publisher..Overall, the distribution of Adhesion GPCRs points to their important role in GI tract functioning and defines them as a potentially crucial target for pharmacological interventions. ..
- Andersson R, Jirstrand M, Peletier L, Chappell M, Evans N, Gabrielsson J. Dose-response-time modelling: Second-generation turnover model with integral feedback control. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2016;81:189-200 pubmed publisher..Finally, new numerical algorithms, which rely on sensitivity equations to robustly and efficiently compute the gradients in the parameter optimization, were successfully used for the mixed-effects approach in the parameter estimation. ..
- Landin H, MÃ¶rk M, Larsson M, Waller K. Vaccination against Staphylococcus aureus mastitis in two Swedish dairy herds. Acta Vet Scand. 2015;57:81 pubmed publisher..Vaccination with a commercial polyvalent vaccine did not have any beneficial effects on udder health, milk production or survival in two commercial dairy herds with mastitis problems due to S. aureus. ..
- ..However, considering the great diversity among the crustaceans, one should be cautious in drawing general conclusions from studies of only a few species. ..
- Sayyab S, Viluma A, Bergvall K, Brunberg E, Jagannathan V, Leeb T, et al. Whole-Genome Sequencing of a Canine Family Trio Reveals a FAM83G Variant Associated with Hereditary Footpad Hyperkeratosis. G3 (Bethesda). 2016;6:521-7 pubmed publisher..Of these, only FAM83G:c155G > C (p.R52P) was found to be concordant in eight additional cases, and 16 healthy KromfohrlÃ¤nder dogs. ..
- Pausch H, Venhoranta H, Wurmser C, Hakala K, Iso Touru T, Sironen A, et al. A frameshift mutation in ARMC3 is associated with a tail stump sperm defect in Swedish Red (Bos taurus) cattle. BMC Genet. 2016;17:49 pubmed publisher..Our results provide the basis for monitoring the mutated variant in the Swedish Red cattle population and for the early identification of infertile animals. ..
- Karlsten R, Gordh T, Post C. Local antinociceptive and hyperalgesic effects in the formalin test after peripheral administration of adenosine analogues in mice. Pharmacol Toxicol. 1992;70:434-8 pubmed..These results suggests that A1 adenosine receptors mediate a local peripheral antinociceptive effect and the involvement of local peripheral A2 receptors in the enhancement of the algesic response. ..
- Ellegren H. Abundant (A)n.(T)n mononucleotide repeats in the pig genome: linkage mapping of the porcine APOB, FSA, ALOX12, PEPN and RLN loci. Anim Genet. 1993;24:367-72 pubmed..The rich abundance of potentially informative (A)n.(T)n repeats will increase the chances of finding a PCR-based marker near any DNA sequence of interest. ..
- Hansson C, Ali H, Bruder C, Fransson I, Kluge S, Andersson B, et al. Strong conservation of the human NF2 locus based on sequence comparison in five species. Mamm Genome. 2003;14:526-36 pubmed publisher..These elements could be affected by disease-causing mutations in NF2 patients and NF2-associated tumors. Alternatively, this conservation might be explained by presence of not yet characterized transcriptional unit(s) within this locus...
- Ehrenberg M, Elf J, Aurell E, Sandberg R, Tegner J. Systems biology is taking off. Genome Res. 2003;13:2377-80 pubmed
- de Verdier K, Ohagen P, Alenius S. No effect of a homeopathic preparation on neonatal calf diarrhoea in a randomised double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Acta Vet Scand. 2003;44:97-101 pubmed..In the European Union this implies a considerable risk for animal welfare, since in some countries priority is given to homeopathic treatments in organic farming. ..
- Hallgren J, Bäckström S, Estrada S, Thuveson M, Pejler G. Histidines are critical for heparin-dependent activation of mast cell tryptase. J Immunol. 2004;173:1868-75 pubmed..Taken together, this study shows that surface-exposed histidines mediate the interaction of mast cell tryptase with heparin and are of critical importance in the formation of active tryptase tetramers. ..
- Sissay M, Asefa A, Uggla A, Waller P. Assessment of anthelmintic resistance in nematode parasites of sheep and goats owned by smallholder farmers in eastern Ethiopia. Trop Anim Health Prod. 2006;38:215-22 pubmed
- Conrotto P, Yakymovych I, Yakymovych M, Souchelnytskyi S. Interactome of transforming growth factor-beta type I receptor (TbetaRI): inhibition of TGFbeta signaling by Epac1. J Proteome Res. 2007;6:287-97 pubmed..Thus, we have reported novel TRI-interacting proteins and have shown that Epac1 inhibited TGFbeta-dependent regulation of cell migration and adhesion. ..
- Belák K, Koenen F, Vanderhallen H, Mittelholzer C, Feliziani F, De Mia G, et al. Comparative studies on the pathogenicity and tissue distribution of three virulence variants of classical swine fever virus, two field isolates and one vaccine strain, with special regard to immunohistochemical investigations. Acta Vet Scand. 2008;50:34 pubmed publisher..Thus, immunohistochemistry provides simple and sensitive tools for the prompt detection of newly emerging variants of CSFV, including the viruses of very mild virulence. ..
- Brandhorst H, Friberg A, Andersson H, Felldin M, Foss A, Salmela K, et al. The importance of tryptic-like activity in purified enzyme blends for efficient islet isolation. Transplantation. 2009;87:370-5 pubmed publisher..We conclude that TLA is an effective component that should be included in moderate amounts in enzyme blends for human islet isolation to optimize the efficiency and minimize the lot-related variability. ..
- Westin G, Björklund P, Akerstrom G. Molecular genetics of parathyroid disease. World J Surg. 2009;33:2224-33 pubmed publisher..Molecular genetic studies of parathyroid tumors are well designed basic experimental studies providing strong level III evidence, with data frequently confirmed by subsequent studies. ..
- Baranowska I, Jäderlund K, Nennesmo I, Holmqvist E, Heidrich N, Larsson N, et al. Sensory ataxic neuropathy in golden retriever dogs is caused by a deletion in the mitochondrial tRNATyr gene. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000499 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results provide conclusive evidence that the deletion in the mitochondrial tRNA(Tyr) gene is the causative mutation for SAN. ..
- Sharma H, Hussain S, Schlager J, Ali S, Sharma A. Influence of nanoparticles on blood-brain barrier permeability and brain edema formation in rats. Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2010;106:359-64 pubmed publisher..These observations are the first to suggest that nanoparticles can induce brain edema formation by influencing BBB breakdown in vivo. ..
- Andersson L, Lyberg K, Cothran G, Ramsey D, Juras R, Mikko S, et al. Targeted analysis of four breeds narrows equine Multiple Congenital Ocular Anomalies locus to 208 kilobases. Mamm Genome. 2011;22:353-60 pubmed publisher..This interval also harbors PMEL17, the gene causative for Silver coat color. However, by shortening the MCOA locus by a factor of 20, 176 other genes have been unlinked from the disease and only 15 genes remain...
- Pettersson U, Christoffersson G, Massena S, Ahl D, Jansson L, Henriksnäs J, et al. Increased recruitment but impaired function of leukocytes during inflammation in mouse models of type 1 and type 2 diabetes. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22480 pubmed publisher..Instead, decreased phagocytic ability observed for leukocytes isolated from diabetic mice might account for the impaired bacterial clearance. ..
- Eklund S, Dogan J, Jemth P, Kalbacher H, Tomkinson B. Characterization of the endopeptidase activity of tripeptidyl-peptidase II. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;424:503-7 pubmed publisher..Using a novel FRET substrate, the catalytic efficiency of the endopeptidase activity could be determined to be 5 orders of magnitude lower than for the exopeptidase activity. ..
- Zamani N, Russell P, Lantz H, Hoeppner M, Meadows J, Vijay N, et al. Unsupervised genome-wide recognition of local relationship patterns. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:347 pubmed publisher..Saguaro is written in C++, runs on the Linux operating system, and can be downloaded from http://saguarogw.sourceforge.net/. ..
- Novobilský A, Engström A, Sollenberg S, Gustafsson K, Morrison D, Hoglund J. Transmission patterns of Fasciola hepatica to ruminants in Sweden. Vet Parasitol. 2014;203:276-86 pubmed publisher..The occurrence and frequency of 'winter infection' were dependent on local environmental factors such as snail habitat availability or grazing behaviour of animals, rather than on climatic factors...
- Borg K, Gottofrey J, Tjälve H. Effects of some chelating agents on the uptake and distribution of 203Hg2+ in the brown trout (Salmo trutta): studies on ethyl- and isopropylxanthate, diethyl- and diisopropyldithiophosphate, dimethyl- and diethyldithiocarbamate and pyridinethione. Arch Toxicol. 1988;62:387-91 pubmed..In some instances, as with SEP, the 203Hg2+ chelated in complexes with low lipophilicity may even be less able to acumulate in some tissues than the non-complexed metal...
- Seddon J, Ellegren H. MHC class II genes in European wolves: a comparison with dogs. Immunogenetics. 2002;54:490-500 pubmed..Furthermore, an extensive region of nucleotide sequence shared between DRB1 and DQB alleles and a shared motif suggests intergenic recombination may have contributed to MHC diversity in the Canidae. ..
- Edlund S, Bu S, Schuster N, Aspenstrom P, Heuchel R, Heldin N, et al. Transforming growth factor-beta1 (TGF-beta)-induced apoptosis of prostate cancer cells involves Smad7-dependent activation of p38 by TGF-beta-activated kinase 1 and mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase 3. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:529-44 pubmed..Moreover, ectopically expressed Smad7 enhanced the coimmunoprecipitation of HA-MKK3 and Flag-p38, supporting the notion that Smad7 may act as a scaffolding protein and facilitate TAK1- and MKK3-mediated activation of p38. ..
- Ortsäter H, Alberts P, Warpman U, Engblom L, Abrahmsen L, Bergsten P. Regulation of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 and glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in pancreatic islets of Langerhans. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2005;21:359-66 pubmed..Increased levels of 11beta-HSD1 were associated with impaired GSIS. ..
- Hoglund J. Targeted selective treatment of lungworm infection in an organic dairy herd in Sweden. Vet Parasitol. 2006;138:318-27 pubmed..However, the infection was not eradicated from the herd despite close monitoring of the seroprevalence and targeted selective treatment of every seropositive animal on two occasions. ..
- Ortsäter H, Sundsten T, Lin J, Bergsten P. Evaluation of the SELDI-TOF MS technique for protein profiling of pancreatic islets exposed to glucose and oleate. Proteomics. 2007;7:3105-15 pubmed..In conclusion, the study demonstrates that SELDI-technique can be used not only to obtain islet protein patterns but is also helpful in the subsequent identification of differentially expressed proteins. ..
- Berggren K, Seddon J. Allelic combinations of promoter and exon 2 in DQB1 in dogs and wolves. J Mol Evol. 2008;67:76-84 pubmed publisher..Deviations from normal MHC expression patterns have been associated with autoimmune diseases, which occur frequently in several dog breeds. Further knowledge about these deviations may help us understand the source of such diseases. ..
- Gaengel K, Betsholtz C. Endocytosis regulates VEGF signalling during angiogenesis. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:233-5 pubmed publisher..New work reinforces the importance of endocytosis for VEGF receptor signalling and angiogenesis in the developing eye, and describes a mechanism for its differential regulation in angiogenic versus quiescent endothelial cells. ..
- Ekmark Lewén S, Flygt J, Fridgeirsdottir G, Kiwanuka O, Hånell A, Meyerson B, et al. Diffuse traumatic axonal injury in mice induces complex behavioural alterations that are normalized by neutralization of interleukin-1?. Eur J Neurosci. 2016;43:1016-33 pubmed publisher..These findings support the hypothesis that IL-1? is an important contributor to the processes causing complex cognitive and behavioural disturbances following TAI. ..
- Otte K, Rozell B, Gessbo A, Engstrom W. Cloning and sequencing of an equine insulin-like growth factor I cDNA and its expression in fetal and adult tissues. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 1996;102:11-5 pubmed..The nucleotide homology across the entire clone was 96.3% between horse and man and 91.6% between horse and rat. The isolated cDNA hybridized to the same transcripts in fetal and adult tissues. ..
- Palm F, Carlsson P, Fasching A, Hellberg O, Nygren A, Hansell P, et al. Effects of the contrast medium iopromide on renal hemodynamics and oxygen tension in the diabetic rat kidney. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2003;530:653-9 pubmed..We investigated the effects of the contrast medium (CM) iopromide on regional renal blood flow and oxygen tension (pO2) in the streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic Wistar Furth rats...
- Larsson A, Carlander D. Oral immunotherapy with yolk antibodies to prevent infections in humans and animals. Ups J Med Sci. 2003;108:129-40 pubmed..We have treated one patient with yolk antibodies against P. aeruginosa daily for more than eight years, which shows that it is possible to use yolk immunotherapy over long treatment periods. ..
- Johansson M, Hellenas K. Matrix effects in immunobiosensor determination of clenbuterol in urine and serum. Analyst. 2004;129:438-42 pubmed..Ultra-filtration efficiently prevented NSB from urine and serum samples. Increased antibody dilution reduced the matrix background while sample dilution had an opposite effect...
- Lagerström M, Fredriksson R, Bjarnadóttir T, Fridmanis D, Holmquist T, Andersson J, et al. Origin of the prolactin-releasing hormone (PRLH) receptors: evidence of coevolution between PRLH and a redundant neuropeptide Y receptor during vertebrate evolution. Genomics. 2005;85:688-703 pubmed..This report suggests how gene duplication events can lead to novel peptide ligand/receptor interactions and hence spur the evolution of new physiological functions. ..
- Clausen F, Hillered L. Intracranial pressure changes during fluid percussion, controlled cortical impact and weight drop injury in rats. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2005;147:775-80; discussion 780 pubmed..Severe CCI and WDI generated intraventricular pressure pulses of much lower magnitude than FPI, explaining the lesser degree of brain stem involvement in the former models. ..
- Cederberg J, Eriksson U. Antioxidative treatment of pregnant diabetic rats diminishes embryonic dysmorphogenesis. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2005;73:498-505 pubmed
- Rossbach U, Nilsson A, Fälth M, Kultima K, Zhou Q, Hallberg M, et al. A quantitative peptidomic analysis of peptides related to the endogenous opioid and tachykinin systems in nucleus accumbens of rats following naloxone-precipitated morphine withdrawal. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:1091-8 pubmed publisher..The expression of several identified peptides was dependent on strain and was affected during morphine withdrawal. ..
- Zhang X, Sundh U, Jansson L, Zetterqvist O, Ek P. Immunohistochemical localization of phosphohistidine phosphatase PHPT1 in mouse and human tissues. Ups J Med Sci. 2009;114:65-72 pubmed publisher..A salient result of the present investigation was the ubiquitous expression of the PHPT1 protein and its high expression in continuously dividing epithelial cells. ..
- Essen Gustavsson B, Connysson M, Jansson A. Effects of crude protein intake from forage-only diets on muscle amino acids and glycogen levels in horses in training. Equine Vet J Suppl. 2010;:341-6 pubmed publisher..Feeding a forage-only diet with a high CP intake increases glycogen and leucine concentrations in muscle of horses in training. This may be beneficial for muscle recovery following intensive exercise. ..
- Reimer J, Karlsson K, Lovgren Bengtsson K, Magnusson S, Fuentes A, Stertman L. Matrix-M™ adjuvant induces local recruitment, activation and maturation of central immune cells in absence of antigen. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41451 pubmed publisher..These effects may play a role in enhancing uptake and presentation of vaccine antigens to elicit a competent immune response. ..
- Riaz A, Huang Y, Johansson S. G-Protein-Coupled Lysophosphatidic Acid Receptors and Their Regulation of AKT Signaling. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17:215 pubmed publisher..However, detailed information on the regulation of PI3K-AKT signals induced by LPA receptors is missing from the literature. Here, some urgent issues for investigation are highlighted. ..
- Gu F, Harbitz I, Chowdhary B, Bosnes M, Gustavsson I. Chromosomal localization of the hormone sensitive lipase (LIPE) and insulin receptor (INSR) genes in pigs. Hereditas. 1992;117:231-6 pubmed..In humans, these two genes are located on the q and p arms of chromosome 19, respectively. The present results provide the first in situ hybridization mapping data for porcine chromosome 2. ..
- Ishisaki A, Murayama T, Ballagi A, Funa K. Nuclear factor Y controls the basal transcription activity of the mouse platelet-derived-growth-factor beta-receptor gene. Eur J Biochem. 1997;246:142-6 pubmed..The binding proteins were affinity purified and identified as the NF-Y transcription factor by western blotting. Our results indicate that NF-Y controls the basal transcription activity of the mouse PDGF beta-receptor gene. ..
- Wikberg Matsson A, Simonsen U. Potent alpha(2A)-adrenoceptor-mediated vasoconstriction by brimonidine in porcine ciliary arteries. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2001;42:2049-55 pubmed..In the present work, it was shown for the first time that the alpha(2A)-adrenoceptor subtype mediates this contraction. ..
- Ninalga C, Loskog A, Klevenfeldt M, Essand M, Totterman T. CpG oligonucleotide therapy cures subcutaneous and orthotopic tumors and evokes protective immunity in murine bladder cancer. J Immunother. 2005;28:20-7 pubmed..Our results show that CpG ODN therapy cures established subcutaneous and orthotopic bladder cancer via a T(H)1-mediated response and provides long-lasting protective immunity. ..
- Aguda A, Xue B, Irobi E, Pr at T, Robinson R. The structural basis of actin interaction with multiple WH2/beta-thymosin motif-containing proteins. Structure. 2006;14:469-76 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the analogous portion of N-WASP WH2 domain 2 is detached from actin, indicating that the C-terminal halves of the betaT and WH2 motifs are not functionally analogous...
- Tunon H, Thorsell W, Mikiver A, Malander I. Arthropod repellency, especially tick (Ixodes ricinus), exerted by extract from Artemisia abrotanum and essential oil from flowers of Dianthus caryophyllum. Fitoterapia. 2006;77:257-61 pubmed..The most potent repellents found were coumarin and thujyl alcohol from A. abrotanum and phenylethanol from D. caryophyllum where coumarin and thujyl alcohol were also detected...
- Henningsson F, Hergeth S, Cortelius R, Abrink M, Pejler G. A role for serglycin proteoglycan in granular retention and processing of mast cell secretory granule components. FEBS J. 2006;273:4901-12 pubmed
- Holmberg M, Sahana G, Andersson Eklund L. Fine mapping of a quantitative trait locus on chromosome 9 affecting non-return rate in Swedish dairy cattle. J Anim Breed Genet. 2007;124:257-63 pubmed..9 percentage units in non-return rate. No significant results were found for the number of inseminations in the combined analysis. ..
- Carlsson U, Wallgren P, Renström L, Lindberg A, Eriksson H, Thoren P, et al. Emergence of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome in Sweden: detection, response and eradication. Transbound Emerg Dis. 2009;56:121-31 pubmed publisher..Approximately 90% of the pig production was covered by this screening and all samples tested were negative with regard to antibodies to PRRS virus. ..
- Alsiö J, Birgner C, Björkblom L, Isaksson P, Bergstrom L, Schioth H, et al. Impact of nandrolone decanoate on gene expression in endocrine systems related to the adverse effects of anabolic androgenic steroids. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2009;105:307-14 pubmed publisher..The results provide evidence for wide ranging effects of AAS on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, adipose tissue and substrates of the renal control of blood pressure. ..
- Holmberg R, Klitz W, Blixt M, Berggren P, Juntti Berggren L, Niklasson B. Antiviral treatments reduce severity of diabetes in Ljungan virus-infected CD-1 mice and delay onset in diabetes-prone BB rats. Microbiol Immunol. 2009;53:567-72 pubmed publisher..In the group treated with antiviral drugs, the onset was significantly delayed. These results indicate that the presence of LV can be involved in the pathogenesis of diabetes in these animal models. ..
- Mahalingam A, Wan Y, Murugaiah A, Wallinder C, Wu X, Plouffe B, et al. Selective angiotensin II AT(2) receptor agonists with reduced CYP 450 inhibition. Bioorg Med Chem. 2010;18:4570-90 pubmed publisher..Compounds with substantially reduced inhibition of the CYP 450 enzymes were obtained. Among them the compound 60 was found to induce neurite elongation in NG 108-15 cells and served as potent AT(2) selective agonist. ..
- Oreland S, Gustafsson Ericson L, Nylander I. Short- and long-term consequences of different early environmental conditions on central immunoreactive oxytocin and arginine vasopressin levels in male rats. Neuropeptides. 2010;44:391-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that environmentally induced alterations in OT transmission due to disrupted mother-pup interactions early in life may cause altered susceptibility to challenges later in life. ..
- Oreland S, Daoura L, Gustafsson Ericson L, Damberg M, Hyytia P, Oreland L, et al. Does the transcription factor AP-2beta have an impact on the genetic and early environmental influence on ethanol consumption?. J Neural Transm (Vienna). 2010;117:1077-81 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we found differences in brainstem TFAP-2beta protein between the AA and ANA rats. ..
- Kundu S, Munjal C, Tyagi N, Sen U, Tyagi A, Tyagi S. Folic acid improves inner ear vascularization in hyperhomocysteinemic mice. Hear Res. 2012;284:42-51 pubmed publisher..These data suggested that hearing loss in CBS+/- mice was primarily due to leakage in inner ear circulation, also partly by induced collagen imbalance, increase in Hcy and oxidative stress in inner ear. ..
- Wang B, Tan Y, Jia J, Digre A, Zhang X, Vlodavsky I, et al. Accelerated resolution of AA amyloid in heparanase knockout mice is associated with matrix metalloproteases. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39899 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that both heparanase and MMPs play important parts in the pathological process of AA amyloidosis. ..
- Axelsson E, Ratnakumar A, Arendt M, Maqbool K, Webster M, Perloski M, et al. The genomic signature of dog domestication reveals adaptation to a starch-rich diet. Nature. 2013;495:360-4 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that novel adaptations allowing the early ancestors of modern dogs to thrive on a diet rich in starch, relative to the carnivorous diet of wolves, constituted a crucial step in the early domestication of dogs. ..
- Virtanen A, Henriksson N, Nilsson P, Nissbeck M. Poly(A)-specific ribonuclease (PARN): an allosterically regulated, processive and mRNA cap-interacting deadenylase. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2013;48:192-209 pubmed publisher..On the basis of biochemical and structural evidence, we present and discuss a working model for PARN action. Models of regulation of PARN activity by trans-acting factors are discussed as well as the physiological relevance of PARN. ..
- Ekesten B, Komaromy A, Ofri R, Petersen Jones S, Narfstrom K. Guidelines for clinical electroretinography in the dog: 2012 update. Doc Ophthalmol. 2013;127:79-87 pubmed publisher..In 2002, the first guidelines for clinical ERGs in this species adopted by the European College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists were published. This work provides an update of these guidelines. ..
- Liljenfeldt L, Gkirtzimanaki K, Vyrla D, Svensson E, Loskog A, Eliopoulos A. Enhanced therapeutic anti-tumor immunity induced by co-administration of 5-fluorouracil and adenovirus expressing CD40 ligand. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2014;63:273-82 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that RAd-CD40L gene therapy is a promising adjuvant treatment to 5-FU for the management of bladder cancer. ..
- Tsuboi M, Gonzalez Voyer A, Kolm N. Phenotypic integration of brain size and head morphology in Lake Tanganyika Cichlids. BMC Evol Biol. 2014;14:39 pubmed publisher..In light of previous results on mammals, our results suggest that the influence of phenotypic integration on brain diversification is a general process. ..
- Hillström A, Bylin J, Hagman R, Björhall K, Tvedten H, Konigsson K, et al. Measurement of serum C-reactive protein concentration for discriminating between suppurative arthritis and osteoarthritis in dogs. BMC Vet Res. 2016;12:240 pubmed..733, p?<?0.001), and between serum IL-6 and serum CRP concentrations (rs?=?0.729, p?<?0.001). CRP concentration was found to discriminate well between dogs with suppurative arthritis and OA. ..
- ten Dijke P, Yamashita H, Sampath T, Reddi A, Estevez M, Riddle D, et al. Identification of type I receptors for osteogenic protein-1 and bone morphogenetic protein-4. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:16985-8 pubmed..These results suggest that ALK-3 and ALK-6 are type I receptors for OP-1 and BMP-4; in addition, ALK-2 is a type I receptor shared by activin and OP-1, but not by BMP-4. ..
- Kamal Eldin A, Frank J, Razdan A, Tengblad S, Basu S, Vessby B. Effects of dietary phenolic compounds on tocopherol, cholesterol, and fatty acids in rats. Lipids. 2000;35:427-35 pubmed..These results suggest some in vivo interactions between these phenolic compounds and tocopherols that may increase the bioavailability of vitamin E and decrease cholesterol in rats. ..
- Wall H, Tauson R. Egg quality in furnished cages for laying hens--effects of crack reduction measures and hybrid. Poult Sci. 2002;81:340-8 pubmed..Reduction of the bottom lining to 30% makes nests less attractive to birds laying eggs. ..
- Palm F, Liss P, Fasching A, Hansell P, Carlsson P. Transient glomerular hyperfiltration in the streptozotocin-diabetic Wistar Furth rat. Ups J Med Sci. 2001;106:175-82 pubmed..We conclude that the transient increase in the GFR seen in the human disease, occurs in Wistar Furth rats, which is in contrast to a majority of other rat strains, where the GFR is persistently increased...
- Odeen A, Hastad O. Complex distribution of avian color vision systems revealed by sequencing the SWS1 opsin from total DNA. Mol Biol Evol. 2003;20:855-61 pubmed..Intriguing effects on the evolution of color signals can be expected from interactions between predators and prey. Such interactions may explain the presence of UVS in Laridae and Passeriformes. ..
- Rhodin M, Johnston C, Holm K, Wennerstrand J, Drevemo S. The influence of head and neck position on kinematics of the back in riding horses at the walk and trot. Equine Vet J. 2005;37:7-11 pubmed..A common opinion among riders and in the literature is that the positioning of the head and neck influences the back of the horse, but this has not yet been measured objectively...
- Höglund P, Adzic D, Scicluna S, Lindblom J, Fredriksson R. The repertoire of solute carriers of family 6: identification of new human and rodent genes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;336:175-89 pubmed..This paper presents an overall overview of the gene repertoire of the SLC6 gene family and its expression profile in rats. ..
- Sharma H, Vannemreddy P, Patnaik R, Patnaik S, Mohanty S. Histamine receptors influence blood-spinal cord barrier permeability, edema formation, and spinal cord blood flow following trauma to the rat spinal cord. Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2006;96:316-21 pubmed..p.) exacerbated spinal cord pathology. These observations suggest that stimulation of histamine H3 receptors and blockade of histamine H2 receptors is neuroprotective in SCI. ..
- Johansson A, Fredriksson R, Winnergren S, Hulting A, Schioth H, Lindblom J. The relative impact of chronic food restriction and acute food deprivation on plasma hormone levels and hypothalamic neuropeptide expression. Peptides. 2008;29:1588-95 pubmed publisher..This suggests that the latter neuropeptides--although previously known to be involved in body weight homeostasis--may be of unexpected importance in states of negative energy balance. ..
- Zoric M, Nilsson E, Mattsson S, Lundeheim N, Wallgren P. Abrasions and lameness in piglets born in different farrowing systems with different types of floor. Acta Vet Scand. 2008;50:37 pubmed publisher..Apart from animal suffering, lameness contributes to losses in form of dead piglets, decreased growth, and increased use of antibiotics and manual labour...
- Persson Y, Vasaitis R, Långström B, Ohrn P, Ihrmark K, Stenlid J. Fungi vectored by the bark beetle Ips typographus following hibernation under the bark of standing trees and in the forest litter. Microb Ecol. 2009;58:651-9 pubmed publisher..The study also demonstrated low frequencies of tree pathogenic fungi carried by I. typographus during its outbreaks and that the beetle does not require them to successfully attack and kill trees. ..
- Metzendorf C, Wu W, Lind M. Overexpression of Drosophila mitoferrin in l(2)mbn cells results in dysregulation of Fer1HCH expression. Biochem J. 2009;421:463-71 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that dmfrn overexpression in l(2)mbn cells causes an 'overestimation' of the cellular iron content, and that regulation of Fer1HCH transcript abundance probably depends on cytoplasmic ISC protein maturation...