Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Uppsala, Sweden
Locale: Uppsala, Sweden
Publications371 found, 100 shown here
- Nordquist L, Palm F. Diabetes-induced alterations in renal medullary microcirculation and metabolism. Curr Diabetes Rev. 2007;3:53-65 pubmed..This review will present the current knowledge of diabetes-induced alterations in renal medullary metabolism and function, but also discuss future targets for prevention of diabetic nephropathy. ..
- Kanduri C, Whitehead J, Mohammad F. The long and the short of it: RNA-directed chromatin asymmetry in mammalian X-chromosome inactivation. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:857-64 pubmed publisher..Here we review new findings involving these various RNA species in terms of understanding Xist gene regulation and the establishment of X-chromosome inactivation. ..
- Sharma H, Zimmermann Meinzingen S, Sharma A, Johanson C. Cerebrolysin attenuates blood-brain barrier and brain pathology following whole body hyperthermia in the rat. Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2010;106:321-5 pubmed publisher..These novel observations suggest that cerebrolysin can attenuate WBH induced BBB and BCSFB damage resulting in neuroprotection. ..
- Nilsson I, Bahram F, Li X, Gualandi L, Koch S, Jarvius M, et al. VEGF receptor 2/-3 heterodimers detected in situ by proximity ligation on angiogenic sprouts. EMBO J. 2010;29:1377-88 pubmed publisher..We conclude that VEGFR2/-3 heterodimers on angiogenic sprouts induced by VEGFA or VEGFC may serve to positively regulate angiogenic sprouting. ..
- Andersson M, Thorpe M, Hellman L. Arg143 and Lys192 of the human mast cell chymase mediate the preference for acidic amino acids in position P2' of substrates. FEBS J. 2010;277:2255-67 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the conservation of the preference for acidic P2' amino acids for several mast cell chymases clearly indicates that other substrates than angiotensin I may be major in vivo targets for these enzymes. ..
- Sharma H. A combination of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and neuronal nitric oxide synthase antibodies applied topically over the traumatized spinal cord enhances neuroprotection and functional recovery in the rat. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010;1199:175-85 pubmed publisher..This indicates that TNF-alpha and nitric oxide play synergistic roles in the pathophysiology of SCI and combined antibodies therapy has added neuroprotective values in spinal trauma. ..
- Tolmachev V, Tran T, Rosik D, Sjöberg A, Abrahmsen L, Orlova A. Tumor targeting using affibody molecules: interplay of affinity, target expression level, and binding site composition. J Nucl Med. 2012;53:953-60 pubmed publisher..Scaffold high-affinity proteins, such as Affibody molecules, are a new, promising class of probes for in vivo imaging...
- Holmborn K, Habicher J, Kasza Z, Eriksson A, Filipek Gorniok B, Gopal S, et al. On the roles and regulation of chondroitin sulfate and heparan sulfate in zebrafish pharyngeal cartilage morphogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:33905-16 pubmed
- Abro S, Ullman K, Belak S, Baule C. Bioinformatics and evolutionary insight on the spike glycoprotein gene of QX-like and Massachusetts strains of infectious bronchitis virus. Virol J. 2012;9:211 pubmed publisher..The study demonstrated that spike glycoprotein of the Massachusetts and the QX-like variants of IBV are molecularly distinct and that this may reflect in differences in the behavior of these viruses in vivo. ..
- Carlsson G, Patring J, Kreuger J, Norrgren L, Oskarsson A. Toxicity of 15 veterinary pharmaceuticals in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. Aquat Toxicol. 2013;126:30-41 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that the toxic effect of febantel in zebrafish embryos is due to metabolism into fenbendazole. ..
- Angeler D, Drakare S. Tracing ?, ?, and ? diversity responses to environmental change in boreal lakes. Oecologia. 2013;172:1191-202 pubmed publisher..e. through the use of multiple taxa and diversity-related variables in the analyses. ..
- Tidholm A, Ljungvall I, Michal J, HÃ¤ggstrÃ¶m J, HÃ¶glund K. Congenital heart defects in cats: A retrospective study of 162 cats (1996-2013). J Vet Cardiol. 2015;17 Suppl 1:S215-9 pubmed publisher..The prevalence of congenital heart disease was 0.2% of the total number of patient cats, and 8% of cats diagnosed with heart disease. Ventricular septal defect was the most common congenital heart defect in this study. ..
- KilpelÃ¤inen T, Carli J, Skowronski A, Sun Q, Kriebel J, Feitosa M, et al. Genome-wide meta-analysis uncovers novel loci influencing circulating leptin levels. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10494 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide novel insights into the regulation of leptin production by adipose tissue and open new avenues for examining the influence of variation in leptin levels on adiposity and metabolic health. ..
- Gager Y, Tarland E, Lieckfeldt D, MÃ©nage M, Botero Castro F, Rossiter S, et al. The Value of Molecular vs. Morphometric and Acoustic Information for Species Identification Using Sympatric Molossid Bats. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0150780 pubmed publisher..Because parameters can vary geographically, the multi-method approach may need to be adjusted to local species assemblies and populations to be entirely informative. ..
- Younan M, Bornstein S, Gluecks I. MERS and the dromedary camel trade between Africa and the Middle East. Trop Anim Health Prod. 2016;48:1277-82 pubmed publisher..This supports the hypothesis that camel imports from Africa are not of significance for circulation of the virus in camel populations of the Arabian Peninsula. ..
- Altenburg A, Magnusson S, Bosman F, Stertman L, de Vries R, Rimmelzwaan G. Protein and modified vaccinia virus Ankara-based influenza virus nucleoprotein vaccines are differentially immunogenic in BALB/c mice. Clin Exp Immunol. 2017;190:19-28 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, recombinant MVA expressing the influenza virus NP induced strong antibody and CD8+ T cell responses, which could not be improved further by modifications of NP to increase antigen processing and presentation. ..
- Artursson K, Gobl A, Lindersson M, Johansson M, Alm G. Molecular cloning of a gene encoding porcine interferon-beta. J Interferon Res. 1992;12:153-60 pubmed..The latter approach in addition detected only about one IFN-beta mRNA-containing cell per 2,000 PRV-stimulated porcine leukocytes, a frequency in the same range as that for leukocytes containing IFN-alpha mRNA. ..
- Mamo W, Froman G, Muller H. Protection induced in mice vaccinated with recombinant collagen-binding protein (CnBP) and alpha-toxoid against intramammary infection with Staphylococcus aureus. Microbiol Immunol. 2000;44:381-4 pubmed
- Salmivirta K, Talts J, Olsson M, Sasaki T, Timpl R, Ekblom P. Binding of mouse nidogen-2 to basement membrane components and cells and its expression in embryonic and adult tissues suggest complementary functions of the two nidogens. Exp Cell Res. 2002;279:188-201 pubmed..These findings revealed extensive coregulation of nidogen-1 and -2 expression and much more complementary functions of the two nidogens than previously recognized. ..
- Ploj K, Roman E, Kask A, Hyytia P, Schioth H, Wikberg J, et al. Effects of melanocortin receptor ligands on ethanol intake and opioid peptide levels in alcohol-preferring AA rats. Brain Res Bull. 2002;59:97-104 pubmed..In addition, manipulation of the MC system modulates ethanol-induced changes in opioid peptide levels. ..
- Fries E, Kaczmarczyk A. Inter-alpha-inhibitor, hyaluronan and inflammation. Acta Biochim Pol. 2003;50:735-42 pubmed..TSG-6 also binds to bikunin thereby enhancing its antiplasmin activity. Taken together, these results suggest that inter-alpha-inhibitor is an anti-inflammatory agent which is activated by TSG-6. ..
- Sharma H, Westman J. Depletion of endogenous serotonin synthesis with p-CPA attenuates upregulation of constitutive isoform of heme oxygenase-2 expression, edema formation and cell injury following a focal trauma to the rat spinal cord. Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2003;86:389-94 pubmed
- Velling T, Nilsson S, Stefansson A, Johansson S. beta1-Integrins induce phosphorylation of Akt on serine 473 independently of focal adhesion kinase and Src family kinases. EMBO Rep. 2004;5:901-5 pubmed..These results indicate that a major pathway for adhesion-dependent activation of PI3K/Akt is triggered by the membrane proximal part of the beta1 subunit in a FAK and Src-independent manner. ..
- Kampa J, Stahl K, Moreno Lopez J, Chanlun A, Aiumlamai S, Alenius S. BVDV and BHV-1 infections in dairy herds in northern and northeastern Thailand. Acta Vet Scand. 2004;45:181-92 pubmed..Based on our experiences and on these results we are convinced that this process can continue if there is awareness of herd biosecurity. This is especially important in the context of a future intensification of the dairy production. ..
- Kampf C, Lau T, Olsson R, Leung P, Carlsson P. Angiotensin II type 1 receptor inhibition markedly improves the blood perfusion, oxygen tension and first phase of glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in revascularised syngeneic mouse islet grafts. Diabetologia. 2005;48:1159-67 pubmed..Such treatment should not be initiated, however, before the islet vascular system has been formed. ..
- Almlöf M, Aqvist J, Smalås A, Brandsdal B. Probing the effect of point mutations at protein-protein interfaces with free energy calculations. Biophys J. 2006;90:433-42 pubmed..Our results clearly demonstrate the potential of free energy calculations for probing the effect of point mutations at protein-protein interfaces and for exploring the principles of specificity of hot spots at the interface. ..
- Mume E, Orlova A, Larsson B, Nilsson A, Nilsson F, Sjöberg S, et al. Evaluation of ((4-hydroxyphenyl)ethyl)maleimide for site-specific radiobromination of anti-HER2 affibody. Bioconjug Chem. 2005;16:1547-55 pubmed..Biodistribution studies in nude mice bearing SK-OV-3 xenografts have shown tumor accumulation of 4.8 +/- 2.2% IA/g and good tumor-to-normal tissue ratios...
- Larsson T, Larson E, Fredriksson R, Conlon J, Larhammar D. Characterization of NPY receptor subtypes Y2 and Y7 in rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss. Peptides. 2006;27:1320-7 pubmed..They also reveal appreciable differences in the repertoire and characteristics of NPY receptors between fish and tetrapods stressing the importance of lineage-specific gene loss as well as sequence divergence after duplication. ..
- Matsson H, Davey E, Fröjmark A, Miyake K, Utsugisawa T, Flygare J, et al. Erythropoiesis in the Rps19 disrupted mouse: Analysis of erythropoietin response and biochemical markers for Diamond-Blackfan anemia. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2006;36:259-64 pubmed..From our results, we argue that the loss of one Rps19 allele in mice is fully compensated for at the transcriptional level with preservation of erythropoiesis. ..
- Kabir S. The current status of Helicobacter pylori vaccines: a review. Helicobacter. 2007;12:89-102 pubmed..The use of vaccines with appropriate immunogens, routes of immunization, and adjuvants along with a better understanding of the mechanism of immune protection may provide more favorable results. ..
- Timmusk S, Wallgren P, Brunborg I, Wikström F, Allan G, Meehan B, et al. Phylogenetic analysis of porcine circovirus type 2 (PCV2) pre- and post-epizootic postweaning multisystemic wasting syndrome (PMWS). Virus Genes. 2008;36:509-20 pubmed publisher..These results further support the results obtained from earlier in vitro and in vivo experimental models and suggest the association of specific PCV2 genogroups with diseased and nondiseased pigs in the field...
- Lövkvist L, Sjölinder H, Wehelie R, Aro H, Norrby Teglund A, Plant L, et al. CD46 Contributes to the severity of group A streptococcal infection. Infect Immun. 2008;76:3951-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results argue that bacterial exploitation of human CD46 enhances bacterial survival and represents a novel pathogenic mechanism that contributes to the severity of group A streptococcal disease. ..
- Sandström K, Nestor M, Ekberg T, Engstrom M, Anniko M, Lundqvist H. Targeting CD44v6 expressed in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: preclinical characterization of an 111In-labeled monoclonal antibody. Tumour Biol. 2008;29:137-44 pubmed publisher..i. compared to huA33. We produced a novel radioimmunoconjugate targeting CD44v6 for possible use in the detection of HNSCC. The conjugate demonstrates no adverse effects from labeling and a favorable biodistribution. ..
- Nordström K, Lagerström M, Wallér L, Fredriksson R, Schioth H. The Secretin GPCRs descended from the family of Adhesion GPCRs. Mol Biol Evol. 2009;26:71-84 pubmed publisher..The overall N-terminal domain structure, however, concurs with the phylogenetic analysis of the transmembrane domains, thus enabling us to track the origin of most of the subgroups. ..
- Wensman H, Flama V, Pejler G, Hellmen E. Plasticity of cloned canine mammary spindle cell tumor, osteosarcoma and carcinoma cells. Vet Pathol. 2008;45:803-15 pubmed publisher..Our results point to plasticity in canine mammary tumors, as shown both by morphologic criteria and by expression patterns for lineage specific markers...
- Tydén E, Lofgren M, Pegolo S, Capolongo F, Tjälve H, Larsson P. Differential gene expression of CYP3A isoforms in equine liver and intestines. J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2012;35:588-95 pubmed publisher..Our finding of a differential gene expression of the CYP3A isoforms in the liver and the intestines contributes to a better understanding of drug metabolism in horses. ..
- Bergstrom K, Aspan A, Landén A, Johnston C, Grönlund Andersson U. The first nosocomial outbreak of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in horses in Sweden. Acta Vet Scand. 2012;54:11 pubmed publisher..The time from surgery to bacteriological diagnosis was not acceptable in most cases, as contagious spread was a risk. Sampling when symptoms of infection are noticed and accurate analysis are thus important. ..
- Ander M, Troell K, Chirico J. Barcoding of biting midges in the genus Culicoides: a tool for species determination. Med Vet Entomol. 2013;27:323-31 pubmed publisher..Identification of some closely related species should employ a less conserved region, such as a ribosomal internal transcribed spacer. ..
- Ajawatanawong P, Baldauf S. Evolution of protein indels in plants, animals and fungi. BMC Evol Biol. 2013;13:140 pubmed publisher..This bias also suggests that insertions in highly conserved proteins experience less purifying selection than do deletions. ..
- Nielsen C, Stengärde L, Bergsten C, Emanuelson U. Relationship between herd-level incidence rate of energy-related postpartum diseases, general risk factors and claw lesions in individual dairy cows recorded at maintenance claw trimming. Acta Vet Scand. 2013;55:55 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to investigate the association between herd-level incidence rate of displaced abomasum and clinical ketosis, general risk factors, and claw lesions in individual cows recorded at maintenance claw trimming...
- Barbu A, Lejonklou M, Skogseid B. Progranulin Stimulates Proliferation of Mouse Pancreatic Islet Cells and Is Overexpressed in the Endocrine Pancreatic Tissue of an MEN1 Mouse Model. Pancreas. 2016;45:533-40 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify PGRN as an effective inducer of pancreatic islet cell proliferation and a possible important factor for pancreatic endocrine tumor development. ..
- Andersson L. Genetic polymorphism of a bovine t-complex gene (TCP1) linkage to major histocompatibility genes. J Hered. 1988;79:1-5 pubmed..The similarity between this linkage group and parts of mouse chromosome 17 (t-H-2) and human chromosome 6 (TCP1-HLA) is discussed. ..
- Wang L, Hellman U, Eriksson S. Cloning and expression of human mitochondrial deoxyguanosine kinase cDNA. FEBS Lett. 1996;390:39-43 pubmed..The coding sequence of dGK showed 46% identity to the coding sequence of cytosolic deoxycytidine kinase, and conserved sequence motifs among the known deoxynucleoside kinase were identified. ..
- Marklund L, Moller M, Sandberg K, Andersson L. A missense mutation in the gene for melanocyte-stimulating hormone receptor (MC1R) is associated with the chestnut coat color in horses. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:895-9 pubmed..The polymorphism can be detected with a simple PCR-RFLP test, since the mutation creates a TaqI restriction site in the chestnut allele. ..
- Kovalenko M, Denner K, Sandstrom J, Persson C, Gross S, Jandt E, et al. Site-selective dephosphorylation of the platelet-derived growth factor beta-receptor by the receptor-like protein-tyrosine phosphatase DEP-1. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:16219-26 pubmed..Our study demonstrates that DEP-1 dephosphorylation of the PDGF beta-receptor is site-selective and may lead to modulation, rather than general attenuation, of signaling. ..
- Höglund A, Hamilton C, Lindblom L. Effects of microdialyzed oxotremorine, carbachol, epibatidine, and scopolamine on intraspinal release of acetylcholine in the rat. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2000;295:100-4 pubmed..The data do not support an autoreceptor function of either nicotinic or muscarinic receptors in the spinal cord, contrary to what has been observed in the brain. ..
- Olsson P, Bornhauser B, Korhonen L, Lindholm D. Neuronal expression of the ERM-like protein MIR in rat brain and its localization to human chromosome 6. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;279:879-83 pubmed..The presence of MIR in brain neurons during development together with its known effects on neurite outgrowth suggest an important function of the protein in the regulation of nerve cell motility and cytoskeletal interactions. ..
- Kanamoto T, Hellman U, Heldin C, Souchelnytskyi S. Functional proteomics of transforming growth factor-beta1-stimulated Mv1Lu epithelial cells: Rad51 as a target of TGFbeta1-dependent regulation of DNA repair. EMBO J. 2002;21:1219-30 pubmed..The TGFbeta1-dependent inhibition of DNA repair was reversed by ectopic overexpression of Rad51. Therefore, TGFbeta can promote DNA instability through down-regulation of Rad51 and inhibition of DNA repair. ..
- Szymkiewicz I, Kowanetz K, Soubeyran P, Dinarina A, Lipkowitz S, Dikic I. CIN85 participates in Cbl-b-mediated down-regulation of receptor tyrosine kinases. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:39666-72 pubmed..Our data reveal a common pathway utilized by Cbl and Cbl-b that may have an important and redundant function in negative regulation of ligand-activated as well as oncogenically activated RTKs in vivo. ..
- Lundén A, Marklund S, Gustafsson V, Andersson L. A nonsense mutation in the FMO3 gene underlies fishy off-flavor in cow's milk. Genome Res. 2002;12:1885-8 pubmed..RT-PCR analysis indicated that the mutant transcript is present in a very low amount. The mutation was found to be surprisingly common (q = 0.155) in one breed of cattle. ..
- Helgstrand C, Munshi S, Johnson J, Liljas L. The refined structure of Nudaurelia capensis omega virus reveals control elements for a T = 4 capsid maturation. Virology. 2004;318:192-203 pubmed..One of the subunit-subunit interfaces has an unusual arrangement of carboxylate side chains. Based on this observation, we propose a mechanism for the control of the pH-dependent transitions of the virus particle. ..
- Friberg L, Hassan S, Lindhagen E, Larsson R, Karlsson M. Pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic modelling of the schedule-dependent effect of the anti-cancer agent CHS 828 in a rat hollow fibre model. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2005;25:163-73 pubmed..The prolonged schedules of CHS 828 were therefore associated with greater antitumour effects than single doses of the same total exposure...
- Mattsson J, Insulander M, Lebbad M, Bjorkman C, Svenungsson B. Molecular typing of Cryptosporidium parvum associated with a diarrhoea outbreak identifies two sources of exposure. Epidemiol Infect. 2008;136:1147-52 pubmed..These data demonstrate that the use of mini- and microsatellite loci as markers for molecular fingerprinting of C. parvum isolates are valuable in the epidemiological investigation of outbreaks. ..
- Björklund P, Akerstrom G, Westin G. An LRP5 receptor with internal deletion in hyperparathyroid tumors with implications for deregulated WNT/beta-catenin signaling. PLoS Med. 2007;4:e328 pubmed..Mechanisms that may account for this activation have not been identified, except for a few cases of beta-catenin (CTNNB1) stabilizing mutation in pHPT tumors...
- Ringvall M, Rönnberg E, Wernersson S, Duelli A, Henningsson F, Abrink M, et al. Serotonin and histamine storage in mast cell secretory granules is dependent on serglycin proteoglycan. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008;121:1020-6 pubmed publisher..These results establish a previously assumed, but not proven, role of serglycin in storage of histamine and, further, establish for the first time that serotonin storage in mast cells is dependent on serglycin proteoglycan. ..
- Gyllenhammar I, Eriksson H, Söderqvist A, Lindberg R, Fick J, Berg C. Clotrimazole exposure modulates aromatase activity in gonads and brain during gonadal differentiation in Xenopus tropicalis frogs. Aquat Toxicol. 2009;91:102-9 pubmed publisher..tropicalis. Further studies are needed, especially on developmental reproductive toxicity, to assess the risk for endocrine disruption in wild amphibians posed by clotrimazole and other imidazole fungicides. ..
- Sahlén G, Nilsson O, Larsson A, Carlsson L, Norlen B, Ronquist G. Secretions from seminal vesicles lack characteristic markers for prostasomes. Ups J Med Sci. 2010;115:107-12 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we have compared the secretion of the vesicles with that of the prostate using biochemical and ultrastructural techniques...
- Pelander L, Ljungvall I, Haggstrom J. Myocardial cell damage in 24 dogs bitten by the common European viper (Vipera berus). Vet Rec. 2010;166:687-90 pubmed publisher..0 microg/l at any time during the study. Evidence of myocardial cell damage was found in eight (32 per cent) of the 24 dogs. Cardiac arrhythmia was detected in three of these eight dogs. ..
- Johnson R, Hering D. Spatial congruency of benthic diatom, invertebrate, macrophyte, and fish assemblages in European streams. Ecol Appl. 2010;20:978-92 pubmed..e., fish in mountain and macrophytes in lowland streams) may function as surrogate indicators for the diversity of other taxonomic groups. ..
- Skarin H, Lindberg A, Blomqvist G, Aspan A, Båverud V. Molecular characterization and comparison of Clostridium botulinum type C avian strains. Avian Pathol. 2010;39:511-8 pubmed publisher..The RAPD system proved to be as discriminative as PFGE. This study reveals a small genetic diversity among Swedish type C strains, with a high similarity between strains from broilers and herring gulls...
- Wahlström H, Isomursu M, Hallgren G, Christensson D, Cedersmyg M, Wallensten A, et al. Combining information from surveys of several species to estimate the probability of freedom from Echinococcus multilocularis in Sweden, Finland and mainland Norway. Acta Vet Scand. 2011;53:9 pubmed publisher..Therefore more knowledge on expected prevalences for E. multilocularis in infected populations of different species is desirable to reduce residual uncertainty of the results. ..
- Liu W, Bostrom M, Kinnefors A, Linthicum F, Rask Andersen H. Expression of myelin basic protein in the human auditory nerve - an immunohistochemical and comparative study. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2012;39:18-24 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study is to analyse the expression and distribution of myelin basic protein (MBP or Myelin A1 protein) in the human spiral ganglion and auditory nerve...
- Sargsyan E, Bergsten P. Lipotoxicity is glucose-dependent in INS-1E cells but not in human islets and MIN6 cells. Lipids Health Dis. 2011;10:115 pubmed publisher..Additional effects of glucose are prominent in INS-1E but not in MIN6 cells and intact control human islets, which are able to efficiently oxidize fatty acids at high glucose and in this way avoid glucolipotoxicity. ..
- Lindahl E, Boqvist S, Artursson K, Magnusson U. A field-study on Leptospira seroprevalence in dairy cows in four geographical areas in Sweden. Acta Vet Scand. 2011;53:53 pubmed publisher..These findings can be used as baseline data to investigate the effects of, for instance, climatic change or alterations in wildlife reservoir populations on the seroprevalence of Leptospira in the future. ..
- Nordström K, Moyer de Miguel I, O Carroll D. Rapid contrast gain reduction following motion adaptation. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:4000-9 pubmed publisher..This might help explain recent observations of strong invariance in the response to natural scenes with highly variable contrast and image structure. ..
- Forsberg M, Holmborn K, Kundu S, Dagälv A, Kjellen L, Forsberg Nilsson K. Undersulfation of heparan sulfate restricts differentiation potential of mouse embryonic stem cells. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:10853-62 pubmed publisher..Except for their potential for mesodermal differentiation into osteoblasts, the cells are then arrested in a primitive ectoderm and/or endoderm stage. ..
- Montazerolghaem M, Ning Y, Engqvist H, Karlsson Ott M, Tenje M, Mestres G. Simvastatin and zinc synergistically enhance osteoblasts activity and decrease the acute response of inflammatory cells. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2016;27:23 pubmed publisher..This work shows that a new combination of additives can be used to increase the osteoinductive capacity of porous bioceramics. ..
- Hiron M, Jonsell M, Kubart A, Thor G, Schroeder M, Dahlberg A, et al. Consequences of bioenergy wood extraction for landscape-level availability of habitat for dead wood-dependent organisms. J Environ Manage. 2017;198:33-42 pubmed publisher..The negative consequences can be limited by extracting only slash, or only logging residues from spruce stands. ..
- Tchougounova E, Forsberg E, Angelborg G, Kjellen L, Pejler G. Altered processing of fibronectin in mice lacking heparin. a role for heparin-dependent mast cell chymase in fibronectin degradation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:3772-7 pubmed..This report thus indicates a biological function for chymase/heparin proteoglycan complexes in fibronectin turnover. ..
- Näsman J, Kukkonen J, Holmqvist T, Akerman K. Different roles for Gi and Go proteins in modulation of adenylyl cyclase type-2 activity. J Neurochem. 2002;83:1252-61 pubmed..The data presented supports the view of AC2 as a molecular switch and implicates this isoform as a target for Go protein-linked signalling. ..
- Tchougounova E, Lundequist A, Fajardo I, Winberg J, Abrink M, Pejler G. A key role for mast cell chymase in the activation of pro-matrix metalloprotease-9 and pro-matrix metalloprotease-2. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:9291-6 pubmed..The present study thus indicates a key role for mast cell chymase in the regulation of pro-MMP-2 and -9 activities. Moreover, the results suggest an important role for mast cell chymase in regulating connective tissue homeostasis. ..
- Nash P, Wentzel P, Lindeberg S, Naessen T, Jansson L, Olovsson M, et al. Placental dysfunction in Suramin-treated rats--a new model for pre-eclampsia. Placenta. 2005;26:410-8 pubmed..The induction of this condition is at least partly mediated by oxidative stress, and is subject to varied genetic susceptibility. ..
- Eggers S, Griesser M, Nystrand M, Ekman J. Predation risk induces changes in nest-site selection and clutch size in the Siberian jay. Proc Biol Sci. 2006;273:701-6 pubmed..This is the first experimental demonstration of clutch size adjustment and nest site selection as a result of phenotypic plasticity in an open nesting passerine reflecting a facultative response to the perceived risk of nest predation. ..
- Bornstein S, Frössling J, Näslund K, Zakrisson G, Morner T. Evaluation of a serological test (indirect ELISA) for the diagnosis of sarcoptic mange in red foxes (Vulpes vulpes). Vet Dermatol. 2006;17:411-6 pubmed..165). It is concluded that this test can be useful in diagnosis and epidemiological studies of S. scabiei infection in red foxes...
- Linde Forsberg C, Persson G. A survey of dystocia in the Boxer breed. Acta Vet Scand. 2007;49:8 pubmed..4% of the male pups that were registered. The Boxer suffers a high frequency of dystocia, mainly due to uterine inertia, but also fetal malpresentation. Breeders should be advised to include easy whelpings in their breeding program. ..
- Rieger Fackeldey E, Sindelar R, Sedin G, Jonzon A. Bronchopulmonary C-fibers modulate the breathing pattern in surfactant-depleted juvenile cats. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2008;160:341-9 pubmed..These findings show for the first time that the activity of bronchopulmonary C-fibers have a prominent role in modulating the breathing pattern in juvenile cats with surfactant-depleted lungs. ..
- Sol E, Sargsyan E, Akusjarvi G, Bergsten P. Glucolipotoxicity in INS-1E cells is counteracted by carnitine palmitoyltransferase 1 over-expression. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;375:517-21 pubmed publisher..Also, apoptosis was alleviated and ER-stress markers p-eIF2alpha and CHOP were decreased in cells over-expressing CPT1. We conclude that regulated over-expression of CPT1 is beneficial for glucolipotoxic beta-cells. ..
- Jacobsson J, Stephansson O, Fredriksson R. C6ORF192 forms a unique evolutionary branch among solute carriers (SLC16, SLC17, and SLC18) and is abundantly expressed in several brain regions. J Mol Neurosci. 2010;41:230-42 pubmed publisher..Expression profiling by quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction and in situ hybridization showed that C6ORF192 transcript can be detected in several tissues, both in the central nervous system and the periphery. ..
- Boije H, Ring H, López Gallardo M, Prada C, Hallböök F. Pax2 is expressed in a subpopulation of Müller cells in the central chick retina. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:1858-66 pubmed publisher..Pax2 was not detected in Müller cells in mouse, rat, guinea-pig, rabbit, or pig retinas; but the zebrafish retina displayed a similar pattern of central Pax2-expressing Müller cells...
- Metzendorf C, Lind M. Drosophila mitoferrin is essential for male fertility: evidence for a role of mitochondrial iron metabolism during spermatogenesis. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:68 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, due to the similar expression patterns of some mitochondrial iron metabolism genes in Drosophila and mammals, it is likely that our results are applicable for mammals as well. ..
- Nordström K, Sällman Almén M, Edstam M, Fredriksson R, Schioth H. Independent HHsearch, Needleman--Wunsch-based, and motif analyses reveal the overall hierarchy for most of the G protein-coupled receptor families. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:2471-80 pubmed publisher..Overall, we suggest common descent of at least 97% of the GPCRs sequences found in humans. ..
- Munir M, Zohari S, Metreveli G, Baule C, Belak S, Berg M. Alleles A and B of non-structural protein 1 of avian influenza A viruses differentially inhibit beta interferon production in human and mink lung cells. J Gen Virol. 2011;92:2111-21 pubmed publisher..This study therefore expands the versatile nature of the NS1 protein in inhibiting IFN responses at multiple levels, by demonstrating for the first time that it occurs in a manner dependent on allele type...
- Polajeva J, Sjösten A, Lager N, Kastemar M, Waern I, Alafuzoff I, et al. Mast cell accumulation in glioblastoma with a potential role for stem cell factor and chemokine CXCL12. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25222 pubmed publisher..Moreover, human GBMs were positive for CXCL12 and the infiltrating MCs were positive for CXCR4. In conclusion, we provide the first evidence for a role for MCs in glioma. ..
- Söder J, Bröjer J, Nostell K. Interday variation and effect of transportation on indirect blood pressure measurements, plasma endothelin-1 and serum cortisol in Standardbred and Icelandic horses. Acta Vet Scand. 2012;54:37 pubmed publisher..The differences detected in plasma ET-1 and serum cortisol between the two breeds might be related to differences in genetic setup, training status as well as management conditions. ..
- Isaksson M, Lundgren B, Ahlgren K, Kämpe O, Lobell A. Conditional DC depletion does not affect priming of encephalitogenic Th cells in EAE. Eur J Immunol. 2012;42:2555-63 pubmed publisher..Unexpectedly, transient depletion of DCs did not affect priming or differentiation of MOG-induced Th17 and Th1-cell responses or the incidence of EAE. Thus, the mechanism of priming of Th cells in EAE remains to be elucidated...
- Yaka C, Björk P, Schönberg T, Erlandsson A. A novel in vitro injury model based on microcontact printing demonstrates negative effects of hydrogen peroxide on axonal regeneration both in absence and presence of glia. J Neurotrauma. 2013;30:392-402 pubmed publisher..Co-culture with glial cells does not rescue the axonal regeneration, indicating that the mechanism by which H2O2 affects axonal regeneration differ from its cytotoxic effect. ..