Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Stockholm, Sweden
Locale: Stockholm, Sweden
Publications630 found, 100 shown here
- Bryja V, Bonilla S, Cajanek L, Parish C, Schwartz C, Luo Y, et al. An efficient method for the derivation of mouse embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells. 2006;24:844-9 pubmed..In summary, we provide a simplified and improved protocol to derive mESCs that can be useful for laboratories aiming to isolate transgenic mESCs for the first time...
- Zhang W, Lilja L, Mandic S, Gromada J, Smidt K, Janson J, et al. Tomosyn is expressed in beta-cells and negatively regulates insulin exocytosis. Diabetes. 2006;55:574-81 pubmed..Hence, in the pancreatic beta-cell, tomosyn negatively regulates insulin exocytosis. ..
- Skjonsberg A, Bucinskaite V, Laurell G, Ulfendahl M. Augmented ototoxic effect of cisplatin in heterozygotes of the German waltzing guinea pig. Audiol Neurootol. 2008;13:97-104 pubmed..The results suggest that mechanisms responsible for the protection against acoustic stress do not provide any protection against cisplatin in carriers of the German waltzing guinea pig. ..
- Norberg E, Gogvadze V, Ott M, Horn M, Uhlen P, Orrenius S, et al. An increase in intracellular Ca2+ is required for the activation of mitochondrial calpain to release AIF during cell death. Cell Death Differ. 2008;15:1857-64 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of calpain, or chelation of Ca(2+), but not the suppression of caspase activity, prevented processing and release of AIF. Combined, these results provide novel insights into the mechanism of AIF release during cell death. ..
- Galter D, Pernold K, Yoshitake T, Lindqvist E, Hoffer B, Kehr J, et al. MitoPark mice mirror the slow progression of key symptoms and L-DOPA response in Parkinson's disease. Genes Brain Behav. 2010;9:173-81 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the ratio decreased over time in cortex, revealing important differences between DA cells in substantia nigra and the ventral tegmental area. ..
- Cao R, Xue Y, Hedlund E, Zhong Z, Tritsaris K, Tondelli B, et al. VEGFR1-mediated pericyte ablation links VEGF and PlGF to cancer-associated retinopathy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:856-61 pubmed publisher..Our findings link VEGF and PlGF to cancer-associated retinopathy, reveal the molecular mechanisms of VEGFR1 ligand-mediated retinopathy, and define VEGFR1 as an important target of antiangiogenic therapy for treatment of retinopathy. ..
- Horn Z, Ringstedt T, Blaesse P, Kaila K, Herlenius E. Premature expression of KCC2 in embryonic mice perturbs neural development by an ion transport-independent mechanism. Eur J Neurosci. 2010;31:2142-55 pubmed publisher..1N. These results point to a role of KCC2 in neuronal differentiation and migration during early development mediated by its direct structural interactions with the neuronal cytoskeleton. ..
- Björk K, Hansson A, Sommer W. Genetic variation and brain gene expression in rodent models of alcoholism implications for medication development. Int Rev Neurobiol. 2010;91:129-71 pubmed publisher..Examples of a convergent research approach include validation studies for Agt, Arrb2, Crhr1, Grin3a, and Npy. ..
- Bacci S, Villumsen S, Valentiner Branth P, Smith B, Krogfelt K, Mølbak K. Epidemiology and clinical features of human infection with Coxiella burnetii in Denmark during 2006-07. Zoonoses Public Health. 2012;59:61-8 pubmed publisher..Nonetheless, Q fever should be considered endemic in Denmark...
- Pizzolla A, Hultqvist M, Nilson B, Grimm M, Eneljung T, Jonsson I, et al. Reactive oxygen species produced by the NADPH oxidase 2 complex in monocytes protect mice from bacterial infections. J Immunol. 2012;188:5003-11 pubmed publisher..Thus, monocyte/macrophage expression of functional NCF1 protected against spontaneous and administered bacterial infections. ..
- Angeletti D, Albrecht L, Wahlgren M, Moll K. Analysis of antibody induction upon immunization with distinct NTS-DBL1?-domains of PfEMP1 from rosetting Plasmodium falciparum parasites. Malar J. 2013;12:32 pubmed publisher..Cross-reactivity between NTS-DBL1?-variants is common in ELISA, but rare with live pRBC emphasizing that also internal, conserved areas of PfEMP1 carry important highly immunogenic epitopes of the molecule. ..
- Kristensson K, Masocha W, Bentivoglio M. Mechanisms of CNS invasion and damage by parasites. Handb Clin Neurol. 2013;114:11-22 pubmed publisher..Finally, examples are given which illustrate different mechanisms by which parasites can cause dysfunction or damage in the CNS related to toxic effects of parasite-derived molecules or to immune responses to the infection. ..
- Chen Z, Bergman T, Ostenson C, Efendic S, Mutt V, Jornvall H. Characterization of dopuin, a polypeptide with special residue distributions. Eur J Biochem. 1997;249:518-22 pubmed..These two peptides increase the complexity of known intestinal polypeptides and at least dopuin has properties compatible with specific biofunctions. ..
- Tsoi C, Falany C, Morgenstern R, Swedmark S. Molecular cloning, expression, and characterization of a canine sulfotransferase that is a human ST1B2 ortholog. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2001;390:87-92 pubmed..These results describe the cloning and characterization of a canine thyroid hormone sulfating enzyme that is more closely related to the human ortholog than to the rodent thyroid sulfating enzymes. ..
- Hammarsund M, Corcoran M, Wilson W, Zhu C, Einhorn S, Sangfelt O, et al. Characterization of a novel B-CLL candidate gene--DLEU7--located in the 13q14 tumor suppressor locus. FEBS Lett. 2004;556:75-80 pubmed..Methylation of a CpG island in the promoter region of DLEU7 was further analyzed as a possible mechanism for the absence of DLEU7 expression, and the promoter was found to be methylated in the majority of the CLL samples investigated. ..
- Pitarque M, Rodriguez Antona C, Oscarson M, Ingelman Sundberg M. Transcriptional regulation of the human CYP2A6 gene. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2005;313:814-22 pubmed..These results will be important for the identification of new polymorphisms affecting CYP2A6 gene expression. ..
- Sehat B, Andersson S, Vasilcanu R, Girnita L, Larsson O. Role of ubiquitination in IGF-1 receptor signaling and degradation. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e340 pubmed..In addition we show that the C-terminal domain of IGF-1R is a necessary requisite for ubiquitination and ERK phosphorylation as well as for proteasomal degradation of the receptor. ..
- Ericsson C, Peredo I, Nister M. Optimized protein extraction from cryopreserved brain tissue samples. Acta Oncol. 2007;46:10-20 pubmed..The proposed standard protocol has the potential to find wide application where protein extraction, solubilization, identification and quantitation from cryopreserved clinical samples are desirable. ..
- Ostenson C, Efendic S. Islet gene expression and function in type 2 diabetes; studies in the Goto-Kakizaki rat and humans. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2007;9 Suppl 2:180-6 pubmed..Here, we review studies concerning beta-cell function and islet gene expression in the GK rat and compare it with the limited number of investigations on similar topics in isolated islets from patients with type 2 diabetes. ..
- Tahar Aissa J, Hultcrantz M. Acute tympanic membrane perforations and the early immunological response in rats. Acta Otolaryngol. 2009;129:1192-7 pubmed publisher..Immunological cells were most prevalent in the proliferative mass adjacent to the annulus region. The cellular immunological response in freshly perforated eardrums was unexpectedly aggressive...
- Borniquel S, Jansson E, Cole M, Freeman B, Lundberg J. Nitrated oleic acid up-regulates PPARgamma and attenuates experimental inflammatory bowel disease. Free Radic Biol Med. 2010;48:499-505 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these findings demonstrate that administration of OA-NO(2) attenuates colonic inflammation and improves clinical symptoms in experimental inflammatory bowel disease. This protection involves activation of colonic PPARgamma. ..
- Bas D, Su J, Sandor K, Agalave N, Lundberg J, Codeluppi S, et al. Collagen antibody-induced arthritis evokes persistent pain with spinal glial involvement and transient prostaglandin dependency. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64:3886-96 pubmed publisher..Our findings of a time-dependent prostaglandin and spinal glial contribution to antibody-induced pain highlight the importance of using appropriate disease models to assess joint-related pain. ..
- Sjoholm A. Glucose stimulates islet beta-cell mitogenesis through GTP-binding proteins and by protein kinase C-dependent mechanisms. Diabetes. 1997;46:1141-7 pubmed..The results instead suggest that signaling through GTP-binding proteins and protein kinase C activation is required for transduction of the mitogenic, but not secretory, message of the sugar in the beta-cell...
- Bakalkin G, Yakovleva T, Hurd Y, Nussenzweig A, Li G, Terenius L. Autoantigen Ku in the brain. Developmentally regulated expression and subcellular localization. Neuroreport. 1998;9:2147-51 pubmed..The abundant expression of Ku in the brain suggests the involvement of Ku autoantibodies in the pathogenesis of neuropsychiatric complications in connective tissue diseases. ..
- Khodaei S, O Brien K, Dumanski J, Wong F, Weber G. Characterization of the MEN1 ortholog in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999;264:404-8 pubmed..Such high correlation between conservation throughout evolution and mutation position strongly emphasizes the importance of this region. ..
- Hult M, Elleby B, Shafqat N, Svensson S, Rane A, Jornvall H, et al. Human and rodent type 1 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases are 7beta-hydroxycholesterol dehydrogenases involved in oxysterol metabolism. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2004;61:992-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate an enzymatic origin of species differences in 7-oxysterol metabolism, establish the origin of endogenous 7beta-OH cholesterol in humans, and point to a possible involvement of 11beta-HSD1 in atherosclerosis. ..
- Schüler H, Mueller A, Matuschewski K. A Plasmodium actin-depolymerizing factor that binds exclusively to actin monomers. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4013-23 pubmed..These findings provide important insights into the low cytosolic abundance and unique turnover characteristics of actin polymers in parasites of the phylum Apicomplexa. ..
- Evergren E, Benfenati F, Shupliakov O. The synapsin cycle: a view from the synaptic endocytic zone. J Neurosci Res. 2007;85:2648-56 pubmed..Recent studies have demonstrated that synapsins migrate to the endocytic zone of central synapses during neurotransmitter release, which suggests that there are additional functions for these proteins in SV recycling. ..
- Luksha L, Agewall S, Kublickiene K. Endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor in vascular physiology and cardiovascular disease. Atherosclerosis. 2009;202:330-44 pubmed publisher..Authors based on their own experience and data of literature propose several guidelines for future research in the field of EDHF. ..
- Viklund I, Aspenstrom P, Meas Yedid V, Zhang B, Kopec J, Agren D, et al. WAFL, a new protein involved in regulation of early endocytic transport at the intersection of actin and microtubule dynamics. Exp Cell Res. 2009;315:1040-52 pubmed publisher..Our findings are compatible with a model whereby WAFL is involved in the transport of early endosomes at the level of transition between microfilament-based and microtubule-based movement. ..
- Morrison J, Borg P, Simon A. Plasticity and recovery of skeletal muscle satellite cells during limb regeneration. FASEB J. 2010;24:750-6 pubmed publisher..Morrison, J. I., Borg, P., Simon, A. Plasticity and recovery of skeletal muscle satellite cells during limb regeneration...
- Su C, Gullberg H, Simko H, Luthman M, Edlund P, Lundbäck T. A novel assay of cellular stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity of primary rat hepatocytes by HPLC. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2010;878:2427-32 pubmed publisher..The improvements enabled us to establish a novel robust assay based solely on HPLC analysis of cellular SCD activity, which was developed in 12-well format. ..
- Szekeres F, Chadt A, Tom R, Deshmukh A, Chibalin A, Björnholm M, et al. The Rab-GTPase-activating protein TBC1D1 regulates skeletal muscle glucose metabolism. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2012;303:E524-33 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, TBC1D1 plays a role in regulation of glucose metabolism in skeletal muscle. Moreover, functional TBC1D1 is required for AICAR- or contraction-induced metabolic responses, implicating a role in energy-sensing signals. ..
- Adzemovic M, Ockinger J, Zeitelhofer M, Hochmeister S, Beyeen A, Paulson A, et al. Expression of Ccl11 associates with immune response modulation and protection against neuroinflammation in rats. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39794 pubmed publisher..In addition, the congenic strain showed a reduced antigen specific response and a predominant anti-inflammatory Th2 phenotype. These results indicate novel mechanisms in the genetic regulation of neuroinflammation. ..
- Theopold U, Krautz R, Dushay M. The Drosophila clotting system and its messages for mammals. Dev Comp Immunol. 2014;42:42-6 pubmed publisher..When translated into mammalian models these results reveal that mammalian blood clots serve a similar immune function, thus providing a new example of the usefulness of studying invertebrate models. ..
- Sudre B, Rossi M, Van Bortel W, Danis K, Baka A, Vakalis N, et al. Mapping environmental suitability for malaria transmission, Greece. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:784-6 pubmed publisher..Nonlinear discriminant analysis indicated that sea-level altitude and land-surface temperature parameters are predictive in this regard. ..
- Anto J, Bousquet J, Akdis M, Auffray C, Keil T, Momas I, et al. Mechanisms of the Development of Allergy (MeDALL): Introducing novel concepts in allergy phenotypes. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017;139:388-399 pubmed publisher..The results of MeDALL will help integrate personalized, predictive, preventative, and participatory approaches in allergic diseases. ..
- Ingvarsson S, Sundaresan S, Jin P, Francke U, Asker C, Sumegi J, et al. Chromosome localization and expression pattern of Lmyc and Bmyc in murine embryonal carcinoma cells. Oncogene. 1988;3:679-85 pubmed..Lmyc transcripts have a half life of 30 min, whereas the Bmyc transcript is highly stable, with a half life of 6 h. The half-lives of the c-myc and Nmyc transcripts have been estimated previously as 40 and 130 min, respectively. ..
- Watanabe T, Medina J, Haeggstrom J, Radmark O, Samuelsson B. Molecular cloning of a 12-lipoxygenase cDNA from rat brain. Eur J Biochem. 1993;212:605-12 pubmed..Sequencing of parts of the corresponding cDNAs (from leukocytes and lung), and comparison to the brain 12-lipoxygenase sequence, indicated that these mRNAs from the different rat tissues were identical. ..
- Farnebo F, Piehl F, Lagercrantz J. Restricted expression pattern of vegf-d in the adult and fetal mouse: high expression in the embryonic lung. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999;257:891-4 pubmed..This suggests that VEGF-D may be of special relevance for the vascularization of lung tissue during the last trimester of fetal development. ..
- Labruto F, Yang J, Vaage J, Valen G. Role of tumor necrosis factor alpha and its receptor I in preconditioning by hyperoxia. Basic Res Cardiol. 2005;100:198-207 pubmed..The contractile response to TNFalpha on aortic rings was attenuated by hyperoxic pretreatment and by TNFRI -/-. Thus we conclude that TNFalpha, acting through TNFRI, appears important for the protective effects of hyperoxia. ..
- Gunnarson E, Axehult G, Baturina G, Zelenin S, Zelenina M, Aperia A. Lead induces increased water permeability in astrocytes expressing aquaporin 4. Neuroscience. 2005;136:105-14 pubmed..It is suggested that lead-triggered stimulation of water transport in AQP4-expressing astrocytes may contribute to the pathology of acute lead intoxication. ..
- Long Y, Barnes B, Mahlapuu M, Steiler T, Martinsson S, Leng Y, et al. Role of AMP-activated protein kinase in the coordinated expression of genes controlling glucose and lipid metabolism in mouse white skeletal muscle. Diabetologia. 2005;48:2354-64 pubmed..AMPK is involved in the coordinated transcription of genes critical for lipid and glucose metabolism in white glycolytic skeletal muscle. ..
- Landegren T, Risling M, Brage A, Persson J. Long-term results of peripheral nerve repair: a comparison of nerve anastomosis with ethyl-cyanoacrylate and epineural sutures. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 2006;40:65-72 pubmed
- Sahlin L, Masironi B, Akerberg S, Eriksson H. Tissue- and hormone-dependent progesterone receptor distribution in the rat uterus. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2006;4:47 pubmed..The distribution and amount of PR isoforms strongly depend on the hormonal milieu and cell type within the rat uterus. ..
- Leidenberger S, Harding K, Harkonen T. Phocid seals, seal lice and heartworms: a terrestrial host-parasite system conveyed to the marine environment. Dis Aquat Organ. 2007;77:235-53 pubmed..Prevalence and intensity of infection differ among regions in the Northern Hemisphere. As for seal lice, heartworms mainly infect immature seals, and after infection the prevalence seems to decrease with increasing age of the host...
- Domogatskaya A, Rodin S, Boutaud A, Tryggvason K. Laminin-511 but not -332, -111, or -411 enables mouse embryonic stem cell self-renewal in vitro. Stem Cells. 2008;26:2800-9 pubmed publisher..Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article. ..
- Yang J, Björklund O, Lindström Törnqvist K, Lindgren E, Eriksson T, Kahlström J, et al. Mice heterozygous for both A1 and A(2A) adenosine receptor genes show similarities to mice given long-term caffeine. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2009;106:631-9 pubmed publisher..Thus at least some aspects of long-term caffeine use can be mimicked by genetic manipulation of the A(1)R and A(2A)R. ..
- Dahlström S, Ferreira P, Veiga M, Sedighi N, Wiklund L, Martensson A, et al. Plasmodium falciparum multidrug resistance protein 1 and artemisinin-based combination therapy in Africa. J Infect Dis. 2009;200:1456-64 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest for the first time, to our knowledge, the involvement of pfMRP1 in P. falciparum in vivo response to ACT. ..
- Ekstrand J, Razuvaev A, Folkersen L, Roy J, Hedin U. Tissue factor pathway inhibitor-2 is induced by fluid shear stress in vascular smooth muscle cells and affects cell proliferation and survival. J Vasc Surg. 2010;52:167-75 pubmed publisher..Functionally, TFPI-2 may play a role in vessel wall repair by regulating SMC proliferation and survival. Further studies are needed to elucidate the mechanisms by which TFPI-2 controls SMC function. ..
- Söderberg E, Hessle V, von Euler A, Visa N. Profilin is associated with transcriptionally active genes. Nucleus. 2012;3:290-9 pubmed publisher..However, the association of actin with the polytene chromosomes of C. tentans is sensitive to RNase, whereas the association of profilin is not, and we propose therefore that the chromosomal location of profilin is independent of actin. ..
- Holmqvist P, Boija A, Philip P, Crona F, Stenberg P, Mannervik M. Preferential genome targeting of the CBP co-activator by Rel and Smad proteins in early Drosophila melanogaster embryos. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002769 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CBP occupancy in Drosophila embryos preferentially overlaps factors controlling dorso-ventral patterning and that CBP binds silent genes without causing histone hyperacetylation. ..
- Domogatskaya A, Rodin S, Tryggvason K. Functional diversity of laminins. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2012;28:523-53 pubmed publisher..The potential use of laminins in cell biology research and biotechnology is discussed...
- Di Gennaro A, Haeggstrom J. The leukotrienes: immune-modulating lipid mediators of disease. Adv Immunol. 2012;116:51-92 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the most recent understanding of the leukotriene cascade with emphasis on recently identified roles in immune reactions and pathophysiology. ..
- Burlaka I, Liu X, Rebetz J, Arvidsson I, Yang L, Brismar H, et al. Ouabain protects against Shiga toxin-triggered apoptosis by reversing the imbalance between Bax and Bcl-xL. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;24:1413-23 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, in vivo, administration of ouabain reversed the imbalance between Bax and Bcl-xL in Stx2-treated mice. Taken together, these results suggest that ouabain can protect the kidney from the apoptotic effects of Stx2. ..
- Adzemovic M, Zeitelhofer M, Hochmeister S, Gustafsson S, Jagodic M. Efficacy of vitamin D in treating multiple sclerosis-like neuroinflammation depends on developmental stage. Exp Neurol. 2013;249:39-48 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate a developmental stage-dependent efficiency of vitamin D to ameliorate neuroinflammation, suggesting that childhood and adolescence should be the target for the most effective preventive treatment. ..
- FemenÃa T, Magara S, DuPont C, Lindskog M. Hippocampal-Dependent Antidepressant Action of the H3 Receptor Antagonist Clobenpropit in a Rat Model of Depression. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015;18: pubmed publisher..Clobenpropit reverses memory deficits and increases hippocampal GluN2A expression without modifying anxiety-related phenotypes or EPSCs in CA1 pyramidal neurons. ..
- Brauner H, Hall H, Flodstrom Tullberg M, Kärre K, Höglund P, Johansson S. Depletion of IL-2 receptor ?-positive cells protects from diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice. Immunol Cell Biol. 2016;94:177-84 pubmed publisher..T cells were also still capable to respond against a foreign antigen. Conclusively, targeting of CD122(+) cells could represent a novel treatment strategy against T1D. ..
- KÃ¤llenius G, Correia Neves M, Buteme H, Hamasur B, Svenson S. Lipoarabinomannan, and its related glycolipids, induce divergent and opposing immune responses to Mycobacterium tuberculosis depending on structural diversity and experimental variations. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2016;96:120-30 pubmed publisher
- Andersson M, Gunne H, Agerberth B, Boman A, Bergman T, Sillard R, et al. NK-lysin, a novel effector peptide of cytotoxic T and NK cells. Structure and cDNA cloning of the porcine form, induction by interleukin 2, antibacterial and antitumour activity. EMBO J. 1995;14:1615-25 pubmed..We suggest that NK-lysin is a new effector molecule of cytotoxic T and NK cells. ..
- Ryder J, Portocarrero C, Song X, Cui L, Yu M, Combatsiaris T, et al. Isomer-specific antidiabetic properties of conjugated linoleic acid. Improved glucose tolerance, skeletal muscle insulin action, and UCP-2 gene expression. Diabetes. 2001;50:1149-57 pubmed..Thus, the improved glucose tolerance in 50:50 rats is attributable to, at least in part, improved insulin action in muscle, and CLA effects cannot be explained simply by reduced food intake. ..
- Hambraeus Jonzon K, Chen L, Fredén F, Wiklund P, Hedenstierna G. Pulmonary vasoconstriction during regional nitric oxide inhalation: evidence of a blood-borne regulator of nitric oxide synthase activity. Anesthesiology. 2001;95:102-12 pubmed..Inhaled nitric oxide downregulates endogenous NO production in other, predominantly hypoxic, lung regions. This distant effect is blood-mediated and causes vasoconstriction in lung regions that do not receive INO. ..
- Naslund E, Skogar S, Efendic S, Hellstrom P. Glucagon-like peptide-1 analogue LY315902: effect on intestinal motility and release of insulin and somatostatin. Regul Pept. 2002;106:89-95 pubmed..The effect of LY315902 on motor control is mediated through the GLP-1 receptor and seems partly dependent on the L-arginine/NO pathway. ..
- Rossi P, Wanecek M, Konrad D, Oldner A. Tezosentan counteracts endotoxin-induced pulmonary edema and improves gas exchange. Shock. 2004;21:543-8 pubmed..These results suggest that endothelin is involved in endotoxin-induced lung injury and the development of pulmonary edema. Dual endothelin receptor antagonism may be of value in the treatment of sepsis-related acute lung injury. ..
- Olofsson P, Jatta K, Wågsäter D, Gredmark S, Hedin U, Paulsson Berne G, et al. The antiviral cytomegalovirus inducible gene 5/viperin is expressed in atherosclerosis and regulated by proinflammatory agents. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005;25:e113-6 pubmed..Viperin is expressed in atherosclerosis and induced in vascular cells by inflammatory stimuli and cytomegalovirus infection. The putative functions of viperin in atherosclerosis may relate to disease-associated microbes. ..
- Ernkvist M, Aase K, Ukomadu C, Wohlschlegel J, Blackman R, Veitonmaki N, et al. p130-angiomotin associates to actin and controls endothelial cell shape. FEBS J. 2006;273:2000-11 pubmed..We propose that p80- and p130-angiomotin play coordinating roles in tube formation by affecting cell migration and cell shape, respectively. ..
- Kjaer S, Kurokawa K, Perrinjaquet M, Abrescia C, Ibanez C. Self-association of the transmembrane domain of RET underlies oncogenic activation by MEN2A mutations. Oncogene. 2006;25:7086-95 pubmed
- Seneca N, Gulyas B, Varrone A, Schou M, Airaksinen A, Tauscher J, et al. Atomoxetine occupies the norepinephrine transporter in a dose-dependent fashion: a PET study in nonhuman primate brain using (S,S)-[18F]FMeNER-D2. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2006;188:119-27 pubmed..Previous positron emission tomography (PET) studies had failed to demonstrate the feasibility of measuring a dose-dependent and saturable NET occupancy in human brain using [11C]MeNER...
- Hedfors E. The reading of scientific texts: questions on interpretation and evaluation, with special reference to the scientific writings of Ludwik Fleck. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2007;38:136-58 pubmed..The restricted possibilities of those not trained in science or not possessing field specific knowledge, evaluating science are discussed, as are also formal aspects of scientific papers and questions related to research ethics...
- Gennser M, Blogg S. Oxygen or carbogen breathing before simulated submarine escape. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2008;104:50-6 pubmed..001). Oxygen breathing before submarine escape reduces initial bubble scores, although its significance in reducing central nervous system DCS needs to be investigated further. ..
- Bäck M. Inflammatory signaling through leukotriene receptors in atherosclerosis. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2008;10:244-51 pubmed..Taken together, the leukotriene pathway may represent a putative therapeutic target in the treatment of atherosclerotic vessel disease. ..
- Gabbi C, Kim H, Hultenby K, Bouton D, Toresson G, Warner M, et al. Pancreatic exocrine insufficiency in LXRbeta-/- mice is associated with a reduction in aquaporin-1 expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:15052-7 pubmed publisher..Several genes are known to be involved in the pathogenesis and susceptibility to pancreatic insufficiency. LXRbeta should be included in that list. ..
- Weiss R, Erlandsson Harris H, Palmblad K. Highly arthritis-susceptible DA rats express IL-1beta in articular cartilage. Scand J Immunol. 2009;69:188-93 pubmed publisher..This may offer one explanation of why erosive arthritides are so easily induced in the DA rat and also support the hypothesis that articular chondrocytes may themselves play a major role in cartilage matrix degradation. ..
- Belazi D, Solé Domènech S, Johansson B, Schalling M, Sjovall P. Chemical analysis of osmium tetroxide staining in adipose tissue using imaging ToF-SIMS. Histochem Cell Biol. 2009;132:105-15 pubmed publisher..Ethanol dehydration after osmium staining results in more homogeneous distributions of osmium oxide and unsaturated lipids. This work provides detailed insight into the specific binding of osmium oxide to different lipids. ..
- Harmenberg J, Oberg B, Spruance S. Prevention of ulcerative lesions by episodic treatment of recurrent herpes labialis: A literature review. Acta Derm Venereol. 2010;90:122-30 pubmed publisher..A formulation of acyclovir/hydrocortisone showed further improvement in prevention of ulcerative lesions, while retaining efficacy with respect to lesion healing...
- Andaloussi S, Lehto T, Mäger I, Rosenthal Aizman K, Oprea I, Simonson O, et al. Design of a peptide-based vector, PepFect6, for efficient delivery of siRNA in cell culture and systemically in vivo. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:3972-87 pubmed publisher..These results imply that the peptide, in addition to having utility for RNAi screens in vitro, displays therapeutic potential. ..
- Fenhammar J, Rundgren M, Forestier J, Kalman S, Eriksson S, Frithiof R. Toll-like receptor 4 inhibitor TAK-242 attenuates acute kidney injury in endotoxemic sheep. Anesthesiology. 2011;114:1130-7 pubmed publisher..These results indicate a critical role for TLR4 in impairing renal function during ovine endotoxemia that is independent of changes in central hemodynamics. ..
- Xiao Z, Patrakka J, Nukui M, Chi L, Niu D, Betsholtz C, et al. Deficiency in Crumbs homolog 2 (Crb2) affects gastrulation and results in embryonic lethality in mice. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2646-56 pubmed publisher..5. These findings therefore indicate a novel role for the Crumbs family of proteins. ..
- Rundqvist H, Augsten M, Stromberg A, Rullman E, Mijwel S, Kharaziha P, et al. Effect of acute exercise on prostate cancer cell growth. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67579 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, despite the fear of possible detrimental effects of acute exercise serum on tumor cell growth, we show that even the short-term effects seem to add to the overall beneficial influence of exercise on neoplasia. ..