Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on molecular sequence data in Murcia, Spain
Locale: Murcia, Spain
Topic: molecular sequence data
- Garcia Borron J, Sánchez Laorden B, Jimenez Cervantes C. Melanocortin-1 receptor structure and functional regulation. Pigment Cell Res. 2005;18:393-410 pubmed..We also discuss recent data on the regulation of MC1R function by paracrine and endocrine factors and by external stimuli such as ultraviolet light. ..
- Lopez Rubio J, Elías Arnanz M, Padmanabhan S, Murillo F. A repressor-antirepressor pair links two loci controlling light-induced carotenogenesis in Myxococcus xanthus. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:7262-70 pubmed..CarA is therefore a repressor and CarS an antirepressor. (iv) CarS physically interacts with CarA; thus, the functional interaction between them is mediated by protein-protein interactions. ..
- Lucas Elio P, Solano F, Sanchez Amat A. Regulation of polyphenol oxidase activities and melanin synthesis in Marinomonas mediterranea: identification of ppoS, a gene encoding a sensor histidine kinase. Microbiology. 2002;148:2457-66 pubmed..These results suggest that PPO activities and melanin synthesis play a role in the adaptive response of M. mediterranea to stressful environmental conditions. ..
- García Heras F, Abellón Ruiz J, Murillo F, Padmanabhan S, Elías Arnanz M. High-mobility-group a-like CarD binds to a DNA site optimized for affinity and position and to RNA polymerase to regulate a light-inducible promoter in Myxococcus xanthus. J Bacteriol. 2013;195:378-88 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that CarD regulates a light-inducible, ECF ?-dependent promoter by coupling RNAP recruitment and binding to a specific DNA site optimized for affinity and position. ..
- Gomez P, Sempere R, Elena S, Aranda M. Mixed infections of Pepino mosaic virus strains modulate the evolutionary dynamics of this emergent virus. J Virol. 2009;83:12378-87 pubmed publisher..Thus, mixed infections appear to be contributing to shaping the genetic structure and dynamics of PepMV populations. ..
- Andújar C, Serrano J, Gómez Zurita J. Winding up the molecular clock in the genus Carabus (Coleoptera: Carabidae): assessment of methodological decisions on rate and node age estimation. BMC Evol Biol. 2012;12:40 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the importance of estimating rates of molecular evolution for each specific dataset, selecting for optimal clock and partitioning models as well as other methodological issues potentially affecting rate estimation. ..
- Sepulcre M, Sarropoulou E, Kotoulas G, Meseguer J, Mulero V. Vibrio anguillarum evades the immune response of the bony fish sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax L.) through the inhibition of leukocyte respiratory burst and down-regulation of apoptotic caspases. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:3751-7 pubmed..These results suggest that the virulence mechanisms of V. anguillarum in sea bass involve the inhibition of leukocyte respiratory burst and apoptosis, and thereby providing a safe haven for growth. ..
- Espinosa E, Marco Noales E, Gomez D, Lucas Elio P, Ordax M, Garcías Bonet N, et al. Taxonomic study of Marinomonas strains isolated from the seagrass Posidonia oceanica, with descriptions of Marinomonas balearica sp. nov. and Marinomonas pollencensis sp. nov. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2010;60:93-8 pubmed publisher..An emended description of the genus Marinomonas is given based on the description of these two novel species, as well as other Marinomonas species described after the original description of the genus. ..
- Castillo Briceño P, Bihan D, Nilges M, Hamaia S, Meseguer J, García Ayala A, et al. A role for specific collagen motifs during wound healing and inflammatory response of fibroblasts in the teleost fish gilthead seabream. Mol Immunol. 2011;48:826-34 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that specific collagen motifs are involved in the regulation of the inflammatory and healing responses of teleost fish. ..
- Sánchez Navarro J, Pallas V. Evolutionary relationships in the ilarviruses: nucleotide sequence of prunus necrotic ringspot virus RNA 3. Arch Virol. 1997;142:749-63 pubmed..In that sense, A1MV should be considered as a true ilarvirus instead of forming a distinct group of viruses...
- Tomas Roca L, Perez Aytes A, Puelles L, Marin F. In silico identification of new candidate genes for hereditary congenital facial paresis. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2011;29:451-60 pubmed publisher..The concurrence of genomic position and neural expression pattern makes these genes new potential candidates for HCFP. ..
- García Moreno D, Abellón Ruiz J, García Heras F, Murillo F, Padmanabhan S, Elías Arnanz M. CdnL, a member of the large CarD-like family of bacterial proteins, is vital for Myxococcus xanthus and differs functionally from the global transcriptional regulator CarD. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:4586-98 pubmed publisher..Our study highlights a complex network of interactions involving these factors and RNAP, and points to a vital role for M. xanthus CdnL in an essential DNA transaction that affects cell division...
- Gomez D, Espinosa E, Bertazzo M, Lucas Elio P, Solano F, Sanchez Amat A. The macromolecule with antimicrobial activity synthesized by Pseudoalteromonas luteoviolacea strains is an L-amino acid oxidase. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2008;79:925-30 pubmed publisher..The enzyme is most active with Met, Gln, Leu, Phe, Glu, and Trp. In growth media containing those amino acids, the hydrogen peroxide generated by the reaction catalyzed by the LAO mediates its antimicrobial activity...
- Sánchez Pérez R, Belmonte F, Borch J, Dicenta F, Møller B, Jørgensen K. Prunasin hydrolases during fruit development in sweet and bitter almonds. Plant Physiol. 2012;158:1916-32 pubmed publisher..This implies that there might be different concentrations of prunasin available in the seed for amygdalin synthesis and that these differences may determine whether the mature almond develops into bitter or sweet. ..
- Botella C, Marin L, Moya Quiles R, Miras M, Sanchez Bueno F, Minguela A, et al. Lack of association between the -403G/A promoter polymorphism in the human CCL5/RANTES chemokine gene in liver transplant outcome. Transpl Int. 2006;19:98-104 pubmed..These differences were also not statistically significant. In conclusion, human CCL5/RANTES gene promoter polymorphism does not seem to influence acute rejection development and allograft survival in liver recipients. ..
- Franco A, Soto T, Madrid M, Vicente Soler J, Gacto M, Cansado J. Functional characterization of Schizosaccharomyces pombe neutral trehalase altered in phosphorylatable serine residues. Arch Microbiol. 2005;183:394-400 pubmed..These data support a role of potentially phosphorylated specific sites for the activation of S. pombe neutral trehalase and for the heat shock-induced accumulation of trehalose. ..
- Cuesta A, Esteban M, Meseguer J. Molecular characterization of the nonspecific cytotoxic cell receptor (NCCRP-1) demonstrates gilthead seabream NCC heterogeneity. Dev Comp Immunol. 2005;29:637-50 pubmed..Immunofluorescence microscopic observations confirm the previous results. The implications of this receptor on seabream NCC activity are discussed. ..
- Franco A, Soto T, Vicente Soler J, Paredes V, Madrid M, Gacto M, et al. A role for calcium in the regulation of neutral trehalase activity in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Biochem J. 2003;376:209-17 pubmed..Given the high degree of conservation of the Ca2+ accommodation site, this might be a general mechanism regulating neutral trehalase activity in other yeasts and filamentous fungi. ..
- Munoz I, Sepulcre M, Meseguer J, Mulero V. Molecular cloning, phylogenetic analysis and functional characterization of soluble Toll-like receptor 5 in gilthead seabream, Sparus aurata. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2013;35:36-45 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest that sbTLR5S plays an important role in modulating the flagellin-mediated immune response in seabream. ..
- Sáez Ayala M, Fernández Pérez M, Montenegro M, Sánchez del Campo L, Chazarra S, Piñero Madrona A, et al. Melanoma coordinates general and cell-specific mechanisms to promote methotrexate resistance. Exp Cell Res. 2012;318:1146-59 pubmed publisher..Under these conditions, melanoma cells are protected from apoptosis by arresting their cell cycle in S phase. Excess of dTTP could also inhibit E2F1-mediated apoptosis in melanoma cells. ..
- Stetson I, Izquierdo Rico M, Moros C, Chevret P, Lorenzo P, Ballesta J, et al. Rabbit zona pellucida composition: a molecular, proteomic and phylogenetic approach. J Proteomics. 2012;75:5920-35 pubmed publisher..The data presented in this manuscript provide evidence, for the first time, that the rabbit ZP is composed of four glycoproteins...
- Vera L, Negrini P, Zagatti C, Frigato E, Sanchez Vazquez F, Bertolucci C. Light and feeding entrainment of the molecular circadian clock in a marine teleost (Sparus aurata). Chronobiol Int. 2013;30:649-61 pubmed publisher..These findings provide the basis and new tools for improving our knowledge of the circadian system and entraining pathways of this fish species, which is of great interest for the Mediterranean aquaculture. ..
- Torrecillas E, Torres P, Alguacil M, Querejeta J, Roldan A. Influence of habitat and climate variables on arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus community distribution, as revealed by a case study of facultative plant epiphytism under semiarid conditions. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2013;79:7203-9 pubmed publisher
- Sánchez Guiu I, Anton A, García Barberá N, Navarro Fernández J, Martinez C, Fuster J, et al. Chediak-Higashi syndrome: description of two novel homozygous missense mutations causing divergent clinical phenotype. Eur J Haematol. 2014;92:49-58 pubmed publisher..Early and accurate diagnosis of the severity of the disease is extremely important to early differentiate patients who would benefit from premature enrollment into a transplantation protocol. ..
- Izquierdo Rico M, Jimenez Movilla M, Llop E, Perez Oliva A, Ballesta J, Gutierrez Gallego R, et al. Hamster zona pellucida is formed by four glycoproteins: ZP1, ZP2, ZP3, and ZP4. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:926-41 pubmed publisher..The data presented in this study provide evidence, for the first time, that the hamster ZP matrix is composed of four glycoproteins...
- Soto T, Fernandez J, Dominguez A, Vicente Soler J, Cansado J, Gacto M. Analysis of the ntp1+ gene, encoding neutral trehalase in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1443:225-9 pubmed..Northern blot hybridization experiments demonstrated that the Wis-Phh1/Sty1 MAP kinase cascade regulates ntp1+ expression during osmostress. ..
- Lopez Castejon G, Sepulcre M, Mulero I, Pelegrin P, Meseguer J, Mulero V. Molecular and functional characterization of gilthead seabream Sparus aurata caspase-1: the first identification of an inflammatory caspase in fish. Mol Immunol. 2008;45:49-57 pubmed..Finally, seabream fibroblast cell line SAF-1 and primary leukocytes showed endogenous caspase-1 activity, which was almost completely inhibited by a caspase-1 specific inhibitor. ..
- López Serrano D, Solano F, Sanchez Amat A. Identification of an operon involved in tyrosinase activity and melanin synthesis in Marinomonas mediterranea. Gene. 2004;342:179-87 pubmed..mediterranea gene coding for the previously cloned polyphenol oxidase with laccase activity. This is the first demonstration of the tyrosinase gene forming part of an operon in a Gram-negative bacterium...
- Nieto C, Morales M, Orjeda G, Clepet C, Monfort A, Sturbois B, et al. An eIF4E allele confers resistance to an uncapped and non-polyadenylated RNA virus in melon. Plant J. 2006;48:452-62 pubmed..These data, and data from other authors, suggest that translation initiation factors of the eIF4E family are universal determinants of plant susceptibility to RNA viruses...
- Cuesta A, Angeles Esteban M, Meseguer J. Cloning, distribution and up-regulation of the teleost fish MHC class II alpha suggests a role for granulocytes as antigen-presenting cells. Mol Immunol. 2006;43:1275-85 pubmed..The possible involvement of the seabream MHC class II alpha gene in the fish defence and antigen presentation are discussed. ..
- Galai S, Lucas Elio P, Marzouki M, Sanchez Amat A. Molecular cloning of a copper-dependent laccase from the dye-decolorizing strain Stenotrophomonas maltophilia AAP56. J Appl Microbiol. 2011;111:1394-405 pubmed publisher..This is the first report to address the molecular mechanism of this capacity, what will contribute to further improvements in the process. ..
- Huang L, Vanstone M, Hartley T, Osmond M, Barrowman N, Allanson J, et al. Mandibulofacial Dysostosis with Microcephaly: Mutation and Database Update. Hum Mutat. 2016;37:148-54 pubmed publisher..All reported EFTUD2 mutations can be found in the EFTUD2 mutation database (http://databases.lovd.nl/shared/genes/EFTUD2). ..
- Solano F, Lucas Elio P, López Serrano D, Fernandez E, Sanchez Amat A. Dimethoxyphenol oxidase activity of different microbial blue multicopper proteins. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2001;204:175-81 pubmed..Specific staining after SDS-PAGE is also possible for some of these proteins. This detection assay can facilitate the study of the multiple functions that such proteins seem to carry out in a variety of microorganisms. ..
- Pelegrin P, García Castillo J, Mulero V, Meseguer J. Interleukin-1beta isolated from a marine fish reveals up-regulated expression in macrophages following activation with lipopolysaccharide and lymphokines. Cytokine. 2001;16:67-72 pubmed..More importantly, IL-1beta was highly expressed by purified macrophage monolayers and was up-regulated by lipopolysaccharide and lymphocyte-derived macrophage-activating factor stimulation. ..
- García Castillo J, Pelegrin P, Mulero V, Meseguer J. Molecular cloning and expression analysis of tumor necrosis factor alpha from a marine fish reveal its constitutive expression and ubiquitous nature. Immunogenetics. 2002;54:200-7 pubmed..The putative role of three AU-rich endotoxin-responsive motifs (AREs) of seabream TNF alpha mRNA, found within two phylogenetically conserved protein binding regions, is discussed. ..
- Cayuela M, Elías Arnanz M, Peñalver Mellado M, Padmanabhan S, Murillo F. The Stigmatella aurantiaca homolog of Myxococcus xanthus high-mobility-group A-type transcription factor CarD: insights into the functional modules of CarD and their distribution in bacteria. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:3527-37 pubmed..Whereas a number of hypothetical proteins homologous to the N-terminal region occur in a diverse array of bacterial species, eukaryotic HMGA-type domains appear to be confined primarily to myxobacteria...
- Sanchez Mas J, Sánchez Laorden B, Guillo L, Jimenez Cervantes C, Garcia Borron J. The melanocortin-1 receptor carboxyl terminal pentapeptide is essential for MC1R function and expression on the cell surface. Peptides. 2005;26:1848-57 pubmed..We show that the MC1R C-terminal pentapeptide is essential for proper receptor expression on the plasma membrane, and that residues Thr314, Cys315 and Trp317 are at least partially responsible for this effect. ..
- Lopez Castejon G, Young M, Meseguer J, Surprenant A, Mulero V. Characterization of ATP-gated P2X7 receptors in fish provides new insights into the mechanism of release of the leaderless cytokine interleukin-1 beta. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:1286-99 pubmed
- López Contreras A, Lopez Garcia C, Jimenez Cervantes C, Cremades A, Peñafiel R. Mouse ornithine decarboxylase-like gene encodes an antizyme inhibitor devoid of ornithine and arginine decarboxylating activity. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:30896-906 pubmed..A direct interaction between ODCp and AZs was detected by immunoprecipitation experiments. We conclude that mouse ODCp has no intrinsic decarboxylase activity, but it acts as a novel antizyme inhibitory protein (AZI2). ..
- Lopez Castejon G, Sepulcre M, Roca F, Castellana B, Planas J, Meseguer J, et al. The type II interleukin-1 receptor (IL-1RII) of the bony fish gilthead seabream Sparus aurata is strongly induced after infection and tightly regulated at transcriptional and post-transcriptional levels. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:2772-80 pubmed..Finally, the seabream IL-1RII was localized in the plasma membrane when expressed in HEK293 cells and was able to bind IL-1beta. ..
- Martínez Florensa M, García Blesa A, Yelamos J, Munoz Suano A, Dominguez Villar M, Valdor R, et al. Serine residues in the LAT adaptor are essential for TCR-dependent signal transduction. J Leukoc Biol. 2011;89:63-73 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the LAT serine-based motifs likely regulate signaling pathways that are essential for T cell physiology. ..
- Herraiz C, Journe F, Ghanem G, Jimenez Cervantes C, Garcia Borron J. Functional status and relationships of melanocortin 1 receptor signaling to the cAMP and extracellular signal-regulated protein kinases 1 and 2 pathways in human melanoma cells. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2012;44:2244-52 pubmed publisher..cAMP synthesis was often inhibited, even in cells wild-type for MC1R and NRAS. Therefore, the cAMP pathway is more frequently impaired in melanoma than could be predicted by the MC1R or NRAS genotype. ..
- Martinez Esparza M, Jimenez Cervantes C, Bennett D, Lozano J, Solano F, Garcia Borron J. The mouse silver locus encodes a single transcript truncated by the silver mutation. Mamm Genome. 1999;10:1168-71 pubmed
- Navarro Ródenas A, Bárzana G, Nicolás E, Carra A, Schubert A, Morte A. Expression analysis of aquaporins from desert truffle mycorrhizal symbiosis reveals a fine-tuned regulation under drought. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2013;26:1068-78 pubmed publisher..The combination of a high intracellular colonization, together with the fine-tuned expression of aquaporins could result in a morphophysiological adaptation of this symbiosis to drought conditions. ..
- Cañizares M, Marcos J, Pallas V. Molecular variability of twenty-one geographically distinct isolates of Carnation mottle virus (CarMV) and phylogenetic relationships within the Tombusviridae family. Arch Virol. 2001;146:2039-51 pubmed..In addition, this perfect covariation allows to segregate the 23 CarMV isolates characterised so far into two main groups that we propose to name as group PK and group AN for further studies...
- Pérez Andreu V, Teruel R, Corral J, Roldan V, García Barberá N, Salloum Asfar S, et al. miR-133a regulates vitamin K 2,3-epoxide reductase complex subunit 1 (VKORC1), a key protein in the vitamin K cycle. Mol Med. 2013;18:1466-72 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, miR-133a appears to have a direct regulatory effect on expression of VKORC1 in humans; this regulation may have potential importance for anticoagulant therapy or aortic calcification. ..
- SÃ¡nchez Laorden B, Herraiz C, Valencia J, Hearing V, JimÃ©nez Cervantes C, GarcÃa BorrÃ³n J. Aberrant trafficking of human melanocortin 1 receptor variants associated with red hair and skin cancer: Steady-state retention of mutant forms in the proximal golgi. J Cell Physiol. 2009;220:640-54 pubmed publisher..These elements are conserved in mammalian MC1Rs and in all five types of human melanocortin receptors. Thus, members of this GPCR subfamily might share common mechanisms for regulation of plasma membrane expression. ..
- Soler L, Molenaar A, Merola N, Eckersall P, Gutierrez A, Ceron J, et al. Why working with porcine circulating serum amyloid A is a pig of a job. J Theor Biol. 2013;317:119-25 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that pig systemic SAA is unique compared to other species, which raises questions about the proposed importance of acute phase SAA in HDL metabolism during inflammation in this species. ..
- Roca F, Cayuela M, Secombes C, Meseguer J, Mulero V. Post-transcriptional regulation of cytokine genes in fish: A role for conserved AU-rich elements located in the 3'-untranslated region of their mRNAs. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:472-8 pubmed..Both cytokine mRNAs were unstable with an estimated half-life of about 45 min in control and activated cells. ..
- Pérez Oliva A, Olivares C, Jimenez Cervantes C, Garcia Borron J. Mahogunin ring finger-1 (MGRN1) E3 ubiquitin ligase inhibits signaling from melanocortin receptor by competition with Galphas. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:31714-25 pubmed publisher..Moreover, MGRN1 might provide a novel pathway for melanocortin signaling from the cell surface to the nucleus. ..
- Muries B, Faize M, Carvajal M. Identification and differential induction of the expression of aquaporins by salinity in broccoli plants. Mol Biosyst. 2011;7:1322-35 pubmed publisher..Therefore, transcript levels, protein abundance determination and the integrated hydraulic architecture of the roots must be considered in order to interpret the response of broccoli to salinity...
- Aviles M, Gutierrez Adan A, Coy P. Oviductal secretions: will they be key factors for the future ARTs?. Mol Hum Reprod. 2010;16:896-906 pubmed publisher..Finally, attention should be given to the presence in the oviductal fluid of several embryotrophic factors and their importance in relation to the in vivo versus in vitro developmental ability of the embryos...
- Lucas Elio P, Gomez D, Solano F, Sanchez Amat A. The antimicrobial activity of marinocine, synthesized by Marinomonas mediterranea, is due to hydrogen peroxide generated by its lysine oxidase activity. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:2493-501 pubmed..This is the first report on a bacterial lysine oxidase activity and the first time that a gene encoding this activity has been cloned...
- Navarro Ródenas A, Ruiz Lozano J, Kaldenhoff R, Morte A. The aquaporin TcAQP1 of the desert truffle Terfezia claveryi is a membrane pore for water and CO(2) transport. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2012;25:259-66 pubmed publisher..The CO(2) permeability of TcAQP1 could be involved in the regulation of T. claveryi growth during presymbiotic phases, making it a good candidate to be considered a novel molecular signaling channel in mycorrhizal fungi...
- Mulero I, Pilar Sepulcre M, Roca F, Meseguer J, García Ayala A, Mulero V. Characterization of macrophages from the bony fish gilthead seabream using an antibody against the macrophage colony-stimulating factor receptor. Dev Comp Immunol. 2008;32:1151-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, as the epitope recognized by the anti-Mcsfr is well conserved, we illustrate the potential usefulness of this antibody in other teleost species, such as the European seabass. ..
- Ortiz Guerrero J, Polanco M, Murillo F, Padmanabhan S, El as Arnanz M. Light-dependent gene regulation by a coenzyme B12-based photoreceptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:7565-70 pubmed publisher..The prevalence of similar proteins of unknown function in microbial genomes suggests that this distinct B(12)-based molecular mechanism for photoregulation may be widespread in bacteria...
- Anton A, Gonzalez Conejero R, Roldan V, Quiroga T, Sanchez Vega B, Corral J, et al. Study of 18 functional hemostatic polymorphisms in mucocutaneous bleeding disorders. Ann Hematol. 2010;89:1147-54 pubmed publisher..24; 95% CI, 0.11-0.52), supporting the polygenic nature of MCB. Our data suggest that some common polymorphisms affecting hemostasis-related genes could protect from bleeding. ..
- Pérez Marín M, Padmanabhan S, Polanco M, Murillo F, Elías Arnanz M. Vitamin B12 partners the CarH repressor to downregulate a photoinducible promoter in Myxococcus xanthus. Mol Microbiol. 2008;67:804-19 pubmed publisher..Our findings unveil parallel regulatory circuits that control a light-inducible promoter using a transcriptional factor repertoire that includes a paralogous gene pair and vitamin B12...
- Amari K, Gomez G, Myrta A, Di Terlizzi B, Pallas V. The molecular characterization of 16 new sequence variants of Hop stunt viroid reveals the existence of invariable regions and a conserved hammerhead-like structure on the viroid molecule. J Gen Virol. 2001;82:953-62 pubmed..Interestingly, a hammerhead-like sequence was found within the T(R) domain of HSVd and it was strictly conserved in all the sequence variants. The evolutionary implications of the presence of this motif on the HSVd are discussed...
- Cuesta A, Meseguer J, Esteban M. Molecular and functional characterization of the gilthead seabream ?-defensin demonstrate its chemotactic and antimicrobial activity. Mol Immunol. 2011;48:1432-8 pubmed publisher..Further studies will elucidate the existence of other BD genes and their implications on the seabream defense against bacteria and virus. ..