Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on in Madrid, Spain
Locale: Madrid, Spain
Publications159 found, 100 shown here
- Jimenez D, Kopecna D, Tapson V, Briese B, Schreiber D, Lobo J, et al. Derivation and validation of multimarker prognostication for normotensive patients with acute symptomatic pulmonary embolism. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014;189:718-26 pubmed publisher..2% in the validation cohort. For normotensive patients who have acute PE, we derived and validated a multimarker model that predicts all-cause mortality, hemodynamic collapse, and/or recurrent PE within the following 30 days. ..
- Resino S, Seoane E, Perez A, Ruiz Mateos E, Leal M, Muñóz Fernández M. Different profiles of immune reconstitution in children and adults with HIV-infection after highly active antiretroviral therapy. BMC Infect Dis. 2006;6:112 pubmed..Thus, T-cell recovery after HAART in HIV-Rec-adults could be the consequence of antigen-independent peripheral T-cell expansion while in HIV-Rec-children thymic output could play a predominant role in immune reconstitution. ..
- Millan J, Pintó X, Munoz A, Zúñiga M, Rubiés Prat J, Pallardo L, et al. Lipoprotein ratios: Physiological significance and clinical usefulness in cardiovascular prevention. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2009;5:757-65 pubmed
- Sanchez Roman I, Gomez J, Naudi A, Ayala V, Portero Otin M, Lopez Torres M, et al. The ?-blocker atenolol lowers the longevity-related degree of fatty acid unsaturation, decreases protein oxidative damage, and increases extracellular signal-regulated kinase signaling in the heart of C57BL/6 mice. Rejuvenation Res. 2010;13:683-93 pubmed publisher
- Murri M, Luque Ramírez M, Insenser M, Ojeda Ojeda M, Escobar Morreale H. Circulating markers of oxidative stress and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hum Reprod Update. 2013;19:268-88 pubmed publisher..CONCLUSIONS Circulating markers of oxidative stress are abnormal in women with PCOS independent of weight excess. This finding suggests that oxidative stress may participate in the pathophysiology of this common disorder. ..
- Varela Moreiras G. What have animal studies told us about the role of folic acid and vitamin B12 in health?. Forum Nutr. 2003;56:49-51 pubmed
- Gisbert J, McNicholl A, Gomollon F. Questions and answers on the role of fecal lactoferrin as a biological marker in inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2009;15:1746-54 pubmed publisher..Finally, in patients with Crohn's disease who have undergone ileocolonic resection, those with higher lactoferrin fecal levels might be more prone to postsurgical recurrence. ..
- Granado M, Chowen J, García Cáceres C, Delgado Rubín A, Barrios V, Castillero E, et al. Ghrelin treatment protects lactotrophs from apoptosis in the pituitary of diabetic rats. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009;309:67-75 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, ghrelin prevents diabetes-induced death of lactotrophs, decreasing caspase-8 activation and iNOS content and increasing anti-apoptotic pathways such as pituitary Bcl-2 and Hsp70 and serum IGF-I concentrations. ..
- Llorens Martín M, Torres Aleman I, Trejo J. Exercise modulates insulin-like growth factor 1-dependent and -independent effects on adult hippocampal neurogenesis and behaviour. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2010;44:109-17 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these data reveal the complexity of the interaction between neurogenesis, behaviour, and IGF1 under different levels of physical activity. ..
- del Valle I, Elvira G, Garcia Benzaquen L, Armesilla Diaz A, Kremer L, Garcia Sanz J, et al. Characterization of novel monoclonal antibodies able to identify neurogenic niches and arrest neurosphere proliferation and differentiation. Neuroscience. 2010;169:1473-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, these antibodies identify distinct neurogenic populations within the SVZ of the lateral ventricle. ..
- Campos C, Guzmán R, López Fernández E, Casado A. Urinary biomarkers of oxidative/nitrosative stress in healthy smokers. Inhal Toxicol. 2011;23:148-56 pubmed publisher..The increased oxidative stress in healthy smokers observed may be generated because of an excessive production of reactive oxygen species and not by exhaustion of antioxidant defenses. ..
- Forman K, Vara E, GarcÃa C, Kireev R, Cuesta S, Escames G, et al. Effect of a combined treatment with growth hormone and melatonin in the cardiological aging on male SAMP8 mice. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011;66:823-34 pubmed publisher..The combined treatment was able to partially reduce the incidence of these deleterious changes, showing differences with the separated treatments with GH and Mel as were investigated in previous articles from our group. ..
- Granado F, Olmedilla B, Blanco I. Nutritional and clinical relevance of lutein in human health. Br J Nutr. 2003;90:487-502 pubmed..The use of lutein as a biomarker of exposure in clinical practice may provide some rationale for assessing its relationship with human health as well as its potential use within the context of evidence-based medicine. ..
- Loureiro J, Aguilera A, Selgas R, Sandoval P, Albar Vizcaino P, Perez Lozano M, et al. Blocking TGF-?1 protects the peritoneal membrane from dialysate-induced damage. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22:1682-95 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that TGF-?1 drives the peritoneal deterioration induced by dialysis fluid and highlights a role of TGF-?1-mediated MMT in the pathophysiology of peritoneal-membrane dysfunction...
- Calvo Garrido J, Carilla Latorre S, Mesquita A, Escalante R. A proteolytic cleavage assay to monitor autophagy in Dictyostelium discoideum. Autophagy. 2011;7:1063-8 pubmed publisher..Moreover, treatment with NH4Cl also facilitates the assessment of autophagic flux by confocal microscopy using the marker RFP-GFP-Atg8. ..
- Ruiz Esteban R, Sarabia P, Delgado E, Aguado C, Cuervo Arango J, Varela M. Procalcitonin and C-reactive protein levels as diagnostic tools in febrile patients admitted to a General Internal Medicine ward. Clin Biochem. 2012;45:22-5 pubmed publisher..2 ng/mL and 0.03 and 1 for a cut-off point of 10.0 ng/mL. However, in subgroup analysis, Pro-CT was able to discriminate between infectious and inflammatory diseases (Welch two sample t-test t=2.39, df=44.3, p=0.021). ..
- Martinez Gomez D, Eisenmann J, Gomez Martinez S, Hill E, Zapatera B, Veiga O, et al. Sleep duration and emerging cardiometabolic risk markers in adolescents. The AFINOS study. Sleep Med. 2011;12:997-1002 pubmed publisher..15, P=0.044). Short sleep duration during adolescence might play an important and independent role in cardiovascular and metabolic diseases through CRP. ..
- Gisbert J, Villagrasa J, Rodríguez Nogueiras A, Chaparro M. Kinetics of anti-hepatitis B surface antigen titers after hepatitis B vaccination in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2013;19:554-8 pubmed publisher..The risk of losing protective anti-HBs titers is 3-fold higher among patients on anti- tumor necrosis factors therapy. ..
- Lojo Oliveira L, Torrijos Eslava A. Treatment of Paget's disease of bone. Reumatol Clin. 2012;8:220-4 pubmed publisher..This review will update the therapeutic indications, available drugs and therapeutic response monitoring...
- Aguado Martínez A, Ortega Mora L, Alvarez Garcia G, Rodríguez Marco S, Risco Castillo V, Marugán Hernández V, et al. Stage-specific expression of Nc SAG4 as a marker of chronic Neospora caninum infection in a mouse model. Parasitology. 2009;136:757-64 pubmed publisher..This suggests the presence of a significant amount of tachyzoites or intermediate zoites expressing NcSAG1 in the brain, even during the late chronic infection. ..
- Morona R, González A. Immunohistochemical localization of calbindin-D28k and calretinin in the brainstem of anuran and urodele amphibians. J Comp Neurol. 2009;515:503-37 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the anatomical complexity of the amphibian brainstem and help in an understanding of its regional organization that is not cytoarchitectonically evident. ..
- Viveros M, Llorente R, Diaz F, Romero Zerbo S, Bermudez Silva F, Rodriguez de Fonseca F, et al. Maternal deprivation has sexually dimorphic long-term effects on hypothalamic cell-turnover, body weight and circulating hormone levels. Horm Behav. 2010;58:808-19 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these endocrine outcomes are different between males and females, which could be due to the fact that MD may have sexually dimorphic effects on hypothalamic development. ..
- Perez Flores I, Sanchez Fructuoso A, Santiago J, Fernandez Arquero M, Calvo N, de la Concha E, et al. Intracellular ATP levels in CD4+ lymphocytes are a risk marker of rejection and infection in renal graft recipients. Transplant Proc. 2009;41:2106-8 pubmed publisher..iATP levels may be considered to be a reliable marker of cellular immune status among renal graft recipients possibly identifying patients with a high risk of infection or rejection. ..
- Rivas P, Herrero M, Poveda E, Madejon A, Trevino A, Gutiérrez M, et al. Hepatitis B, C, and D and HIV infections among immigrants from Equatorial Guinea living in Spain. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2013;88:789-94 pubmed publisher..Immigrants constitute a major source of HIV and hepatitis viruses in Spain; therefore, it is important that control measures are intensified...
- Martin S, Burón I, Espinosa J, Castilla J, Villalba J, Torres J. Coenzyme Q and protein/lipid oxidation in a BSE-infected transgenic mouse model. Free Radic Biol Med. 2007;42:1723-9 pubmed..However, the induction of these endogenous antioxidant systems seems to be insufficient to prevent the development of the illness. ..
- Lodi S, Fisher M, Phillips A, De Luca A, Ghosn J, Malyuta R, et al. Symptomatic illness and low CD4 cell count at HIV seroconversion as markers of severe primary HIV infection. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e78642 pubmed publisher..One CD4 count <350 or two <500 cells/mm(3) within 6 months of seroconversion and/or severe illness in PHI may be useful early indicators of individuals at high risk of disease progression. ..
- Blanco Rojo R, Perez Granados A, Toxqui L, Zazo P, de la Piedra C, Vaquero M. Relationship between vitamin D deficiency, bone remodelling and iron status in iron-deficient young women consuming an iron-fortified food. Eur J Nutr. 2013;52:695-703 pubmed publisher..Although bone health does not seem to be affected in this group of women, correction of iron and vitamin D deficiencies should be promoted in young women to improve present and future health. ..
- Tardio J, Aguado M, Borbujo J. Self-regressing S100-negative CD1a-positive cutaneous histiocytosis. Am J Dermatopathol. 2013;35:e57-9 pubmed publisher..This lesion is probably related to indeterminate dendritic cell tumors, but very few cases with such immunoprofile have been reported up-to-date, and their exact nosologic position and outcome remain to be clarified. ..
- Ortega Deballon P, Ruiz de Adana Belbel J, Hernández Matías A, García Septiem J, Moreno Azcoita M. Usefulness of laboratory data in the management of right iliac fossa pain in adults. Dis Colon Rectum. 2008;51:1093-9 pubmed publisher..A patient with normal C-reactive protein and leukocytes has a very low probability of appendicitis and should not undergo surgery. ..
- Martin Ventura J, Madrigal Matute J, Munoz Garcia B, Blanco Colio L, Van Oostrom M, Zalba G, et al. Increased CD74 expression in human atherosclerotic plaques: contribution to inflammatory responses in vascular cells. Cardiovasc Res. 2009;83:586-94 pubmed publisher..CD74 could be a novel therapeutic target to decrease the inflammatory response in atherosclerosis. ..
- Ares Carrasco S, Picatoste B, Benito Martin A, Zubiri I, Sanz A, Sanchez Niño M, et al. Myocardial fibrosis and apoptosis, but not inflammation, are present in long-term experimental diabetes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;297:H2109-19 pubmed publisher..Local reduction of proinflammatory factors and expression of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant molecules may underlie this effect...
- Veiga S, Carrero P, Pernia O, Azcoitia I, Garcia Segura L. Translocator protein 18 kDa is involved in the regulation of reactive gliosis. Glia. 2007;55:1426-36 pubmed..These findings identify TSPO as a potential target for controlling neural inflammation, showing that the TSPO ligand PK11195 may reduce microglia activation by a mechanism that is independent of the regulation of neuronal survival. ..
- Zurita M, Vaquero J, Oya S, Bonilla C, Aguayo C. Neurotrophic Schwann-cell factors induce neural differentiation of bone marrow stromal cells. Neuroreport. 2007;18:1713-7 pubmed
- Moreno N, Morona R, Lopez J, Dominguez L, Joven A, Bandín S, et al. Characterization of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis in the forebrain of anuran amphibians. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:330-63 pubmed publisher..All these data suggest that the anuran BST shares many features with its counterpart in amniotes and belongs to a basal continuum, likely controlling similar reflexes, reponses, and behaviors in tetrapods. ..
- Norman F, Pérez Ayala A, Perez Molina J, Flores Chavez M, Cañavate C, Lopez Velez R. Lack of association between blood-based detection of Trypanosoma cruzi DNA and cardiac involvement in a non-endemic area. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 2011;105:425-30 pubmed publisher..No association was found in this study between the positive T. cruzi blood PCR and cardiac involvement. ..
- Delgado J, Bustos J, Jimenez M, Quevedo E, Hernandez Navarro F. Are activation markers (CD25, CD38 and CD103) predictive of sensitivity to purine analogues in patients with T-cell prolymphocytic leukemia and other lymphoproliferative disorders?. Leuk Lymphoma. 2002;43:2331-4 pubmed..We discuss the possible therapeutic implications of this finding and establish a comparison between immunophenotype and sensitivity to purine analogues in patients with T-PLL and other chronic lymphoproliferative disorders...
- Córdoba E, Pion M, Rasines B, Filippini D, Komber H, Ionov M, et al. Glycodendrimers as new tools in the search for effective anti-HIV DC-based immunotherapies. Nanomedicine. 2013;9:972-84 pubmed publisher..DC vaccination using this methodology may be applicable to a variety of conditions, including infections and potentially cancer. ..
- García Moreno F, López Mascaraque L, De Carlos J. Origins and migratory routes of murine Cajal-Retzius cells. J Comp Neurol. 2007;500:419-32 pubmed..Furthermore, there were no early-migrating neurons that expressed calbindin. ..
- Bascones A, Gamonal J, Gomez M, Silva A, Gonzalez M. New knowledge of the pathogenesis of periodontal disease. Quintessence Int. 2004;35:706-16 pubmed..Cytokines may be considered as markers of the progression and severity of periodontitis as well as indicators of an appropiate response to treatment. However, further studies are needed to support and characterize this concept. ..
- Merinero B, Perez B, Perez Cerda C, Rincon A, Desviat L, Martinez M, et al. Methylmalonic acidaemia: examination of genotype and biochemical data in 32 patients belonging to mut, cblA or cblB complementation group. J Inherit Metab Dis. 2008;31:55-66 pubmed..Most of the cblA patients carried premature termination codons (PTC) in both alleles. Interestingly, the transcripts containing the PTC mutations were insensitive to nonsense-mediated decay (NMD). ..
- Mayoral R, Molla B, Flores J, Bosca L, Casado M, Martín Sanz P. Constitutive expression of cyclo-oxygenase 2 transgene in hepatocytes protects against liver injury. Biochem J. 2008;416:337-46 pubmed publisher..These results show, in a genetic model, that tissue-specific COX-2-dependent PGs exert an efficient protection against acute liver injury by an antiapoptotic/antinecrotic effect and by accelerated early hepatocyte proliferation. ..
- Sierra Filardi E, Puig Kröger A, Blanco F, Nieto C, Bragado R, Palomero M, et al. Activin A skews macrophage polarization by promoting a proinflammatory phenotype and inhibiting the acquisition of anti-inflammatory macrophage markers. Blood. 2011;117:5092-101 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that activin A-initiated Smad signaling skews macrophage polarization toward the acquisition of a proinflammatory phenotype. ..
- Martínez Flores J, Serrano M, Morales P, Paz Artal E, Morales J, Serrano A. Comparison of several functional methods to evaluate the immune response on stable kidney transplant patients. J Immunol Methods. 2014;403:62-5 pubmed publisher..45 vs. 2.37±0.41; 2.84±0.76 vs. 2.37±0.32; 2.32±0.34 vs. 1.89±0.38 respectively). In summary, our results show that the measurement of ATP in CD4+ lymphocytes gives more accurate information in comparison to the classical methods. ..
- Lope V, PollÃ¡n M, FernÃ¡ndez M, de LeÃ³n A, GonzÃ¡lez M, Sanz J, et al. Cytogenetic status in newborns and their parents in Madrid: the BioMadrid study. Environ Mol Mutagen. 2010;51:267-77 pubmed publisher..21; 95%CI:1.02-1.43). This last result suggests the need to implement greater control over populations which, by reason of their occupation or life style, are among those most exposed to this metal. ..
- Lankeit M, Gómez V, Wagner C, Aujesky D, Recio M, Briongos S, et al. A strategy combining imaging and laboratory biomarkers in comparison with a simplified clinical score for risk stratification of patients with acute pulmonary embolism. Chest. 2012;141:916-922 pubmed publisher..001). Both the sPESI and the ESC model successfully predict 30-day mortality after acute symptomatic PE, but exclusion of an adverse early outcome does not appear to require routine imaging procedures or laboratory biomarker testing. ..
- Alonso S, Ferrero E, Donat M, Martinez G, Vargas C, Hidalgo M, et al. The usefulness of high pre-operative levels of serum type I collagen bone markers for the prediction of changes in bone mineral density after parathyroidectomy. J Endocrinol Invest. 2012;35:640-4 pubmed publisher..Serum ?CTX and P1NP levels were potently related to lumbar BMD changes over one year after PTX. The measurement of ?CTX and P1NP would be useful to predict long-term changes in lumbar BMD after PTX. ..
- Arroyo Villa I, Bautista Caro M, Balsa A, Aguado AcÃn P, NuÃ±o L, Bonilla HernÃ¡n M, et al. Frequency of Th17 CD4+ T cells in early rheumatoid arthritis: a marker of anti-CCP seropositivity. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42189 pubmed publisher..Decreased circulating Th17 levels in eRA seem to be a marker of anti-CCP seropositivity, and return to levels observed in healthy controls after treatment with methotrexate. ..
- Cuenca Estrella M, Verweij P, Arendrup M, Arıkan Akdağlı S, Bille J, Donnelly J, et al. ESCMID* guideline for the diagnosis and management of Candida diseases 2012: diagnostic procedures. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2012;18 Suppl 7:9-18 pubmed publisher..In addition, remarks about antifungal susceptibility testing and therapeutic drug monitoring were made. ..
- Fontanellas A, Navarro S, Morán Jiménez M, Sánchez Fructuoso A, Vegh I, Barrientos A, et al. Erythrocyte aminolevulinate dehydratase activity as a lead marker in patients with chronic renal failure. Am J Kidney Dis. 2002;40:43-50 pubmed..Subclinical lead poisoning is difficult to identify. Because the heme biosynthetic pathway is highly sensitive to lead, we considered the study of enzymes involved in this pathway as a method to detect an excessive body lead burden...
- Pey A, Saborido A, Blázquez I, Delgado J, Megías A. Effects of prolonged stanozolol treatment on antioxidant enzyme activities, oxidative stress markers, and heat shock protein HSP72 levels in rat liver. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2003;87:269-77 pubmed..The present data show that 8 wk ingestion of ST, either with or without concurrent exercise training, can induce oxidative stress in rat liver despite the up-regulation of enzymatic antioxidant activities. ..
- Perez Alenza M, Blanco J, Sardon D, Sanchez Moreiro M, Rodriguez Bertos A. Clinico-pathological findings in cattle exposed to chronic bracken fern toxicity. N Z Vet J. 2006;54:185-92 pubmed..To describe changes in blood and urine analytes in a large group of cattle exposed to chronic bracken fern toxicity, in order to identify parameters of potential diagnostic value...
- Arroba A, Lechuga Sancho A, Frago L, Argente J, Chowen J. Increased apoptosis of lactotrophs in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats is followed by increased proliferation. J Endocrinol. 2006;191:55-63 pubmed..These results suggest that the increased death of lactotrophs in poorly controlled diabetic rats is followed by increased proliferation of this cell type, even when no treatment is given. ..
- Sierra Filardi E, Vega M, Sánchez Mateos P, Corbi A, Puig Kröger A. Heme Oxygenase-1 expression in M-CSF-polarized M2 macrophages contributes to LPS-induced IL-10 release. Immunobiology. 2010;215:788-95 pubmed publisher..Moreover, since M2 (M-CSF) macrophages also express higher levels of the CD163 scavenger receptor, the CD163/HO-1/IL-10 axis appears to contribute to the generation of an immunosuppressive environment within the tumor stroma. ..
- Martinez Pinna R, Lindholt J, Blanco Colio L, Dejouvencel T, Madrigal Matute J, Ramos Mozo P, et al. Increased levels of thioredoxin in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs). A potential link of oxidative stress with AAA evolution. Atherosclerosis. 2010;212:333-8 pubmed publisher..TRX levels correlates with AAA size and expansion, suggesting its potential role as a biomarker of AAA evolution. ..
- Lopez Longo F, Rodriguez Mahou M, Escalona Monge M, Gonzalez C, Monteagudo I, Carreño Perez L. Simultaneous identification of various antinuclear antibodies using an automated multiparameter line immunoassay system. Lupus. 2003;12:623-9 pubmed..Its most notable advantages are automated simultaneous detection of several autoantibodies in the same serum and its lower cost compared with ELISA techniques. ..
- Muñoz M, de la Piedra C, Barrios V, Garrido G, Argente J. Changes in bone density and bone markers in rhythmic gymnasts and ballet dancers: implications for puberty and leptin levels. Eur J Endocrinol. 2004;151:491-6 pubmed..Our aim was to compare physical activity and biochemical markers with bone mineral acquisition in rhythmic gymnasts and ballet dancers...
- Barreto G, Veiga S, Azcoitia I, Garcia Segura L, Garcia Ovejero D. Testosterone decreases reactive astroglia and reactive microglia after brain injury in male rats: role of its metabolites, oestradiol and dihydrotestosterone. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;25:3039-46 pubmed..The regulation of gliosis may be part of the neuroprotective mechanism of testosterone. ..
- Gonzalez J, Somoza B, Conde M, Fernández Alfonso M, Gonzalez M, Arribas S. Hypertension increases middle cerebral artery resting tone in spontaneously hypertensive rats: role of tonic vasoactive factor availability. Clin Sci (Lond). 2008;114:651-9 pubmed
- Rivas M, Mellstrom B, Torres B, Cali G, Ferrara A, Terracciano D, et al. The DREAM protein is associated with thyroid enlargement and nodular development. Mol Endocrinol. 2009;23:862-70 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings identify a mechanism for the control of TSHR activity and provide a new approach for the study and treatment of thyroid pathologies associated with impaired TSHR function. ..
- Goicoechea M, de Vinuesa S, Verdalles U, Ruiz Caro C, Ampuero J, Rincón A, et al. Effect of allopurinol in chronic kidney disease progression and cardiovascular risk. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;5:1388-93 pubmed publisher..Allopurinol decreases C-reactive protein and slows down the progression of renal disease in patients with chronic kidney disease. In addition, allopurinol reduces cardiovascular and hospitalization risk in these subjects. ..
- Buitrago P rez g, Hachimi M, Due as M, Lloveras B, Santos A, Holgu n A, et al. A humanized mouse model of HPV-associated pathology driven by E7 expression. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41743 pubmed publisher..Our model seems to be a valuable platform for basic research into HPV oncogenesis and preclinical testing of HPV-associated antitumor therapies...
- Bautista Caro M, Arroyo Villa I, Castillo Gallego C, de Miguel E, Peiteado D, Puig Kröger A, et al. Decreased Th17 and Th1 cells in the peripheral blood of patients with early non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis: a marker of disease activity in HLA-B27? patients. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013;52:352-62 pubmed publisher..Th17, Th1 and Th17/Th1 cell numbers are related to disease activity indices in HLA-B27(+), but not in HLA-B27(-), early nrSpA patients. ..
- Schneider R, Garrobo I, Foronda M, Palacios J, Marion R, Flores I, et al. TRF1 is a stem cell marker and is essential for the generation of induced pluripotent stem cells. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1946 pubmed publisher..We further show that TRF1 is necessary for both induction and maintenance of pluripotency, and that TRF1 is a direct transcriptional target of Oct3/4. ..
- Pescador N, Pérez Barba M, Ibarra J, Corbatón A, Martinez Larrad M, Serrano Rios M. Serum circulating microRNA profiling for identification of potential type 2 diabetes and obesity biomarkers. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e77251 pubmed publisher..Our results support the use of some miRNAs extracted from serum samples as potential predictive tools for obesity and type 2 diabetes. ..
- Garcia J, Camacho F, Morente M, Fraga M, Montalban C, Alvaro T, et al. Hodgkin and Reed-Sternberg cells harbor alterations in the major tumor suppressor pathways and cell-cycle checkpoints: analyses using tissue microarrays. Blood. 2003;101:681-9 pubmed..This appears to determine the viability of the tumoral cells and the clinical outcome. ..
- Ramos Mozo P, Madrigal Matute J, Vega de Céniga M, Blanco Colio L, Meilhac O, Feldman L, et al. Increased plasma levels of NGAL, a marker of neutrophil activation, in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysm. Atherosclerosis. 2012;220:552-6 pubmed publisher..Further studies in larger subjects groups are needed to confirm the association between NGAL and AAA presence and growth. ..
- Praga M, Rojas Rivera J. Glomerular disease: Predicting outcomes in idiopathic membranous nephropathy. Nat Rev Nephrol. 2012;8:496-8 pubmed publisher..The availability of a validated biomarker that is easy to measure and able to accurately predict long-term outcomes would be very helpful for tailoring treatment of the disease to the individual. ..
- Escribano L, Orfao A, Diaz Agustin B, Cerveró C, Herrero S, Villarrubia J, et al. Human bone marrow mast cells from indolent systemic mast cell disease constitutively express increased amounts of the CD63 protein on their surface. Cytometry. 1998;34:223-8 pubmed..1) in surface CD63 expression, whereas bone marrow mast cells from adults with indolent systemic mast cell disease showed significantly (P = 0.0005) higher levels of surface CD63 as compared to healthy controls. ..
- Diez J, Iglesias P, Fernández Reyes M, Aguilera A, Bajo M, Alvarez Fidalgo P, et al. Serum concentrations of leptin, adiponectin and resistin, and their relationship with cardiovascular disease in patients with end-stage renal disease. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2005;62:242-9 pubmed
- Boix Chornet M, Fraga M, Villar Garea A, Caballero R, Espada J, Nunez A, et al. Release of hypoacetylated and trimethylated histone H4 is an epigenetic marker of early apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:13540-7 pubmed..These findings provide one of the first links between apoptotic nuclear events and epigenetic markers. ..
- Fernández Fernández B, Elewa U, Sanchez Niño M, Rojas Rivera J, Martín Cleary C, Egido J, et al. 2012 update on diabetic kidney disease: the expanding spectrum, novel pathogenic insights and recent clinical trials. Minerva Med. 2012;103:219-34 pubmed
- Corral I, Quereda C, Navas E, Martin Davila P, Perez Elias M, Casado J, et al. Adenosine deaminase activity in cerebrospinal fluid of HIV-infected patients: limited value for diagnosis of tuberculous meningitis. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2004;23:471-6 pubmed..The results of this study indicate that ADA determination in CSF has limited utility for the diagnosis of tuberculous meningitis in HIV-infected patients. ..
- Ramos Mozo P, Rodriguez C, Pastor Vargas C, Blanco Colio L, Martinez Gonzalez J, Meilhac O, et al. Plasma profiling by a protein array approach identifies IGFBP-1 as a novel biomarker of abdominal aortic aneurysm. Atherosclerosis. 2012;221:544-50 pubmed publisher..IGFBP-1 has been identified by a protein array approach as a potential novel biomarker of AAA. The biological role of IGFBP-1 in AAA pathogenesis could be related to the modulation on the effect of IGF-1 on platelet aggregation. ..
- Colmenero I, Molho Pessach V, Torrelo A, Zlotogorski A, Requena L. Emperipolesis: an additional common histopathologic finding in H syndrome and Rosai-Dorfman disease. Am J Dermatopathol. 2012;34:315-20 pubmed publisher..We describe emperipolesis in the cutaneous lesions of a patient with H syndrome, further supporting the relationship between Rosai-Dorfman disease and H syndrome. ..
- Condezo Hoyos L, Rubio M, Arribas S, España Caparrós G, Rodríguez Rodríguez P, Mujica Pacheco E, et al. A plasma oxidative stress global index in early stages of chronic venous insufficiency. J Vasc Surg. 2013;57:205-13 pubmed publisher..This index, with the appropriate validation in a larger population, could be used for early detection or progression of CVI. ..
- Muñoz Calvo M, Barrios V, García de Alvaro M, Lefort M, Méndez Dávila C, Argente J, et al. Maintained malnutrition produces a progressive decrease in (OPG)/RANKL ratio and leptin levels in patients with anorexia nervosa. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2007;67:387-93 pubmed..The decrease in the OPG/RANKL ratio in girls with AN could partly explain the increase in bone loss that occurs in these patients. ..
- Soriano Guillén L, Hernández García B, Pita J, Domínguez Garrido N, Del Río Camacho G, Rovira A. High-sensitivity C-reactive protein is a good marker of cardiovascular risk in obese children and adolescents. Eur J Endocrinol. 2008;159:R1-4 pubmed publisher..The hs-CRP is a useful tool for early diagnosis of cardiovascular risk in obese children and teenagers. ..
- Barbieri G, Solano P, Alarcon J, Vernal R, Ríos Lugo J, Sanz M, et al. Biochemical markers of bone metabolism in gingival crevicular fluid during early orthodontic tooth movement. Angle Orthod. 2013;83:63-9 pubmed publisher..Both increased expression of bone resorptive mediators (eg, RANK and TGF-ß1) and decreased expression of a bone-forming mediator (eg, OPG) on the compression side were detected. ..
- Blanco Colio L, Martin Ventura J, Sol J, Diaz C, Hernandez G, Egido J. Decreased circulating Fas ligand in patients with familial combined hyperlipidemia or carotid atherosclerosis: normalization by atorvastatin. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;43:1188-94 pubmed..These data provide a novel effect of atorvastatin and add support for the well-known anti-inflammatory properties of statins. ..
- Sanchez D, Quiñones M, Moulay L, Muguerza B, Miguel M, Aleixandre A. Soluble fiber-enriched diets improve inflammation and oxidative stress biomarkers in Zucker fatty rats. Pharmacol Res. 2011;64:31-5 pubmed publisher..The results obtained in this study suggest that the intake of the different soluble fiber-enriched diets that we have evaluated could prevent and/or attenuate the inflammatory and/or the prooxidative state of the metabolic syndrome. ..
- Mancho C, Sainz A, García Sancho M, Villaescusa A, Tesouro M, Rodriguez Franco F. Detection of perinuclear antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies and antinuclear antibodies in the diagnosis of canine inflammatory bowel disease. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2010;22:553-8 pubmed
- Fernandez Gonzalez R, Ramirez M, Pericuesta E, Calle A, Gutierrez Adan A. Histone modifications at the blastocyst Axin1(Fu) locus mark the heritability of in vitro culture-induced epigenetic alterations in mice. Biol Reprod. 2010;83:720-7 pubmed publisher..This finding indicates that altered histone modifications during preimplantation can drive altered gene expression later on in development. ..
- Escudero C, Quirce S, Fernandez Nieto M, Miguel J, Cuesta J, Sastre J. Egg white proteins as inhalant allergens associated with baker's asthma. Allergy. 2003;58:616-20 pubmed..Bakery workers may develop IgE-mediated allergy to liquid and aerosolized hen's egg proteins that are commonly used in the baking and confectionery industries...