Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Madrid, Spain
Locale: Madrid, Spain
Publications1012 found, 100 shown here
- Marinas A, Villanueva V, Giráldez B, Molins A, Salas Puig J, Serratosa J. Efficacy and tolerability of zonisamide in idiopathic generalized epilepsy. Epileptic Disord. 2009;11:61-6 pubmed publisher..Limitations include a small sample size and a relatively short period of follow-up. Our results are promising and justify the need for prospective controlled trials in IGE. ..
- Prieto R, Pascual J, Gutiérrez R, Santos E. Recovery from paraplegia after the treatment of spinal dural arteriovenous fistula: case report and review of the literature. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2009;151:1385-97 pubmed publisher..No complete recovery (grade 0 gait ALS) was achieved after treatment. Micturition disturbances had a worse prognosis than motor deficits. ..
- Hernandez Antolin R, Alfonso F, Jimenez P. The use of drug-eluting stents in venous coronary artery bypass grafts. EuroIntervention. 2009;5 Suppl D:D51-7 pubmed..Whether specific stent platforms, polymers or drugs are more appropriate in SVG lesions has not been addressed at this time...
- Peces R, Vega C, Peces C, Trébol J, Gonzalez J. Massive gastric dilatation and anuria resolved with naso-gastric tube decompression. Int Urol Nephrol. 2010;42:831-4 pubmed publisher..An abdominal compartment syndrome secondary to intra-abdominal hypertension was suspected. Naso-gastric tube decompression resulted in immediate resaturation of the diuresis and progressive recovery of renal function...
- Garrido Ruiz M, Rosales B, Luis Rodríguez Peralto J. Vulvar pseudoverrucous papules and nodules secondary to a urethral--vaginal fistula. Am J Dermatopathol. 2011;33:410-2 pubmed publisher..Because similar findings have not been previously observed in patients with urethral-vaginal fistula, we attempt to extend the spectrum of presentations for a better knowledge of this condition...
- Fernandez Velazquez F. Kerasoft IC compared to Rose-K in the management of corneal ectasias. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2012;35:175-9 pubmed publisher..19) as well as in mild and moderate keratoconus (p = 0.45). KIC is a good alternative for the optical management of irregular corneal astigmatism in non surgical corneal ectasias such as keratoconus and pellucid marginal degeneration. ..
- Ferrari R, Bertini M, Blomstrom Lundqvist C, Dobrev D, Kirchhof P, Pappone C, et al. An update on atrial fibrillation in 2014: From pathophysiology to treatment. Int J Cardiol. 2016;203:22-9 pubmed publisher..Future research should give better understanding of the underlying aetiology of AF and identification of drug targets, to help the move toward patient-specific therapy. ..
- Cubiella J, Digby J, Rodríguez Alonso L, Vega P, Salve M, Díaz Ondina M, et al. The fecal hemoglobin concentration, age and sex test score: Development and external validation of a simple prediction tool for colorectal cancer detection in symptomatic patients. Int J Cancer. 2017;140:2201-2211 pubmed publisher..7%), intermediate (59.8%, PPV: 0.9%) and low (18.8%, PPV: 0.0%) risk for CRC. The FAST Score is an easy to calculate prediction tool, highly accurate for CRC detection in symptomatic patients. ..
- García Esquinas E, Andrade E, Martinez Gomez D, Caballero F, Lopez Garcia E, Rodriguez Artalejo F. Television viewing time as a risk factor for frailty and functional limitations in older adults: results from 2 European prospective cohorts. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2017;14:54 pubmed publisher..Among older adults, longer television viewing time is prospectively associated with limitations in physical function independently of physical activity. ..
- Lim E, Uddin M, De Rubeis S, Chan Y, Kamumbu A, Zhang X, et al. Rates, distribution and implications of postzygotic mosaic mutations in autism spectrum disorder. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1217-1224 pubmed publisher..PZMs constitute a significant proportion of de novo mutations and contribute importantly to ASD risk...
- López García J, Rivas Jara L, García Lozano I, Murube J. Histopathologic limbus evolution after alkaline burns. Cornea. 2007;26:1043-8 pubmed..In patients with severe burns, the best reepithelialization and stromal regeneration were obtained with ALT + AMT. ..
- Gimenez Cassina A, Lim F, Cerrato T, Palomo G, Diaz Nido J. Mitochondrial hexokinase II promotes neuronal survival and acts downstream of glycogen synthase kinase-3. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:3001-11 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the neuroprotective effect of HKII may be relevant to neurodegenerative diseases in which glucose hypometabolism and mitochondrial dysfunction are prominent features. ..
- Aguado Urda M, López Campos G, Blanco M, Fernández Garayzábal J, Cutuli M, Aspiroz C, et al. Genome sequence of Lactococcus garvieae 21881, isolated in a case of human septicemia. J Bacteriol. 2011;193:4033-4 pubmed publisher..Here, we present the draft genome sequence of Lactococcus garvieae strain 21881 (2,164,557 bp, with a G+C content of 37.9%), which represents the first report of a genome sequence on Lactococcus garvieae...
- Franco C, Fernandez S, Torres Aleman I. Frataxin deficiency unveils cell-context dependent actions of insulin-like growth factor I on neurons. Mol Neurodegener. 2012;7:51 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that IGF-I exerts cell-context neuroprotection in frataxin deficiency that maybe therapeutically effective. ..
- Cuadros Fernández J, Esponda P. Immunocytochemical localisation of the nucleolar protein fibrillarin and RNA polymerase I during mouse early embryogenesis. Zygote. 1996;4:49-58 pubmed..8% of injected embryos reach the blastocyst stage. ..
- Rivera J, Garcia Monforte A, Pineda A, Millán Núñez Cortés J. Arthritis in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infection. J Rheumatol. 1999;26:420-4 pubmed..Although a high prevalence of HCV antibodies is suspected in patients with RA, its occurrence may be coincidental and its interpretation is difficult to determine from the data in this study. ..
- Falcón A, Fortes P, Marion R, Beloso A, Ortin J. Interaction of influenza virus NS1 protein and the human homologue of Staufen in vivo and in vitro. Nucleic Acids Res. 1999;27:2241-7 pubmed..These results are discussed in relation to the possible mechanisms of action of hStaufen and its relevance for influenza virus infection. ..
- Garcia Lechuz J, Hernangómez S, Juan R, Pelaez T, Alcala L, Bouza E. Extra-intestinal infections caused by Clostridium difficile. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2001;7:453-7 pubmed..Death could not be directly attributed to C. difficile in any of the cases. The isolation of C. difficile outside the intestinal tract is very uncommon. Its clinical significance should be interpreted with caution. ..
- Gil D, Schamel W, Montoya M, Sanchez Madrid F, Alarcon B. Recruitment of Nck by CD3 epsilon reveals a ligand-induced conformational change essential for T cell receptor signaling and synapse formation. Cell. 2002;109:901-12 pubmed..Finally, by interfering with Nck-CD3 epsilon association in vivo, we demonstrate that TCR-CD3 recruitment of Nck is critical for maturation of the immune synapse and for T cell activation. ..
- Garcia Lechuz J, Sanchez Conde M, Munoz L, Benito C. Clinical microbiological case: 'soap bubbles' in the cerebellum of an HIV-infected patient. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2003;9:419-20, 461-2 pubmed
- Diaz Valle D, Diaz Rodriguez E, Díaz Valle T, Benitez del Castillo J, Toledano N, Fernandez Acenero M. Frosted branch angiitis and late peripheral retinochoroidal scar in a patient with acquired toxoplasmosis. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2003;13:726-8 pubmed..To report a case of acute frosted branch angiitis associated with acquired toxoplasmosis in which a late peripheral chorioretinal scar developed...
- Marín Gabriel J, Solis Herruzo J. Primary biliary cirrhosis and CREST syndrome. Rev Esp Enferm Dig. 2004;96:219-20 pubmed
- Sanz Rodriguez F, Fernandez L A, Zarrabeitia R, Perez Molino A, Ramirez J, Coto E, et al. Mutation analysis in Spanish patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia: deficient endoglin up-regulation in activated monocytes. Clin Chem. 2004;50:2003-11 pubmed..Endoglin up-regulation in activated monocytes is impaired in HHT1 and HHT2 patients and is age-dependent in both HHT types. Endoglin expression may predict the clinical severity of HHT. ..
- Moreno Antón F, Sastre Valera J, Loboff de León B, López Tarruella S, Ortega Medina L, Diaz Rubio E. Epididymal metastases as the first sign of a colon cancer recurrence. Clin Transl Oncol. 2005;7:321-3 pubmed..Although metastatic cancer presenting as an intra-scrotal mass is extremely rare, it should be considered as a possibility in patients who present with a mass involving the testicle or epididymis...
- Antona B, Barra F, Barrio A, Gonzalez E, Sanchez I. The validity and repeatability of the New Aniseikonia Test. Optom Vis Sci. 2006;83:903-9 pubmed..Aniseikonia has been traditionally measured using the New Aniseikonia Test (NAT) based on red/green anaglyphs. This study was designed to establish whether the NAT is a valid and reliable test...
- Fernandez de Las Penas C, Pérez de Heredia M, Molero Sánchez A, Miangolarra Page J. Performance of the craniocervical flexion test, forward head posture, and headache clinical parameters in patients with chronic tension-type headache: a pilot study. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2007;37:33-9 pubmed
- Arranz A, Abad C, Juarranz Y, Leceta J, Martinez C, Gomariz R. Vasoactive intestinal peptide as a healing mediator in Crohn's disease. Neuroimmunomodulation. 2008;15:46-53 pubmed publisher..Finally, the most recent data validate its therapeutic role through the modulation of TLR2 and 4 receptors. ..
- Jimenez M, Graña J, Montes V, Rubio G. Alcohol craving scale based on three factors. Eur Addict Res. 2009;15:135-42 pubmed publisher..Adequate capacity of the scale to discriminate between the sample of alcoholics and the controls was observed. The ACS-3F has adequate psychometric properties and may be useful in future research and in clinical practice. ..
- Sierra A, Roca Cusachs A, RedÃ³n J, MarÃn R, Luque M, Figuera M, et al. Effectiveness and tolerability of fixed-dose combination enalapril plus nitrendipine in hypertensive patients: results of the 3-month observational, post-marketing, multicentre, prospective CENIT study. Clin Drug Investig. 2009;29:459-469 pubmed publisher..These results confirm the effectiveness of a strategy based on a fixed-dose enalapril/nitrendipine 10 mg/20 mg combination in reducing BP and achieving BP control goals. ..
- Linares C, Diaz J. Short-term effect of PM(2.5) on daily hospital admissions in Madrid (2003-2005). Int J Environ Health Res. 2010;20:129-40 pubmed publisher..08 IC 95%: (1.03 1.13) and for respiratory was 1.07 IC 95% (1.02 1.11). PM(2.5) concentrations were the only primary pollutant that showed a statistical association with hospital admissions in Madrid. ..
- Barbachano A, Ordóñez Morán P, Garcia J, Sanchez A, Pereira F, Larriba M, et al. SPROUTY-2 and E-cadherin regulate reciprocally and dictate colon cancer cell tumourigenicity. Oncogene. 2010;29:4800-13 pubmed publisher..We propose SPRY2 as a candidate novel marker for high-grade tumours and a target of therapeutic intervention in colon cancer. ..
- Canton R, Bryan J. Global antimicrobial resistance: from surveillance to stewardship. Part 2: stewardship initiatives. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2012;10:1375-7 pubmed publisher..The authors also report new data on antibiotic prescribing in primary care and latest research in the development of novel antibiotics for the future...
- Flores A, Quesada E. Entry inhibitors directed towards glycoprotein gp120: an overview on a promising target for HIV-1 therapy. Curr Med Chem. 2013;20:751-71 pubmed..The diverse approaches devoted to the achievement of therapeutic agents against gp120 currently under study are organized and analyzed critically according to their specific mechanism of inhibition and structural features. ..
- Gonzalez Neira A. The GoldenGate genotyping assay: custom design, processing, and data analysis. Methods Mol Biol. 2013;1015:147-53 pubmed publisher..Here are described in detail all the steps to be followed in the process of genotyping a custom panel, from panel design through data analysis. ..
- BarrabÃ©s J, BardajÃ A, JimÃ©nez Candil J, del Nogal SÃ¡ez F, BodÃ V, Basterra N, et al. Prognosis and management of acute coronary syndrome in Spain in 2012: the DIOCLES study. Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed). 2015;68:98-106 pubmed publisher..1%), 6-month mortality was 3.8%. Mortality among patients with acute coronary syndrome in Spain was lower than that reported in the most recent published studies, in parallel with a more frequent use of the main treatments recommended. ..
- GarcÃa MuÃ±oz R, LÃ³pez DÃaz de Cerio A, Feliu J, Panizo A, Giraldo P, RodrÃguez Calvillo M, et al. Follicular lymphoma: in vitro effects of combining lymphokine-activated killer (LAK) cell-induced cytotoxicity and rituximab- and obinutuzumab-dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC) activity. Immunol Res. 2016;64:548-57 pubmed publisher..Percentage of NK cells in LAK infusions were correlated with the R- and GA101-induced ADCC. Our results indicate that the combination of R or GA101 and LAK cells should be an option as frontline maintenance therapy in patients with FL. ..
- MirÃ³n Rubio M, GonzÃ¡lez Ramallo V, Estrada Cuxart O, Sanroma MendizÃ¡bal P, Segado Soriano A, Mujal MartÃnez A, et al. Intravenous antimicrobial therapy in the hospital-at-home setting: data from the Spanish Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy Registry. Future Microbiol. 2016;11:375-90 pubmed publisher
- Hernandez R, Teruel T, Lorenzo M. Akt mediates insulin induction of glucose uptake and up-regulation of GLUT4 gene expression in brown adipocytes. FEBS Lett. 2001;494:225-31 pubmed..Our results indicate that activation of Akt may be an essential requirement for insulin regulation of glucose uptake and GLUT4 gene expression in brown adipocytes. ..
- Viguer J, Jimenez Heffernan J, Perez P, Lopez Ferrer P, Gonzalez Peramato P, Vicandi B. Fine-needle aspiration cytology of Kikuchi's lymphadenitis: a report of ten cases. Diagn Cytopathol. 2001;25:220-4 pubmed..When typical cytologic findings are present in an adequate clinical context (cervical nodes in young patients), a precise diagnosis is possible, avoiding unnecessary biopsies. ..
- Garcia Olmo D, Garcia Arranz M, García L, Cuellar E, Blanco I, Prianes L, et al. Autologous stem cell transplantation for treatment of rectovaginal fistula in perianal Crohn's disease: a new cell-based therapy. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2003;18:451-4 pubmed..Ethical and safety items do not seem to be critical problems using autologous stem cells. ..
- Rodriguez Merchan E, Wiedel Jd J, Wallny T, Caviglia H, Hvid I, Berntorp E, et al. Elective orthopedic surgery for hemophilia patients with inhibitors: New opportunities. Semin Hematol. 2004;41:109-16 pubmed..Thorough analysis of each case as part of a multidisciplinary team will help to identify further inhibitor patients in whom EOS can be performed both safely and effectively. ..
- Civera C, Simon B, Stier G, Sattler M, Macias M. Structure and dynamics of the human pleckstrin DEP domain: distinct molecular features of a novel DEP domain subfamily. Proteins. 2005;58:354-66 pubmed..This suggests a role of the pleckstrin DEP domain in intramolecular domain interactions, which is distinct from the functions of other DEP domain subfamilies found so far. ..
- Montalban C, Martín Aresti J, Patier J, Millan J, Cosio M. Unusual cases in multiple myeloma and a dramatic response in metastatic lung cancer: Case 3. Intracranial plasmacytoma with cranial nerve neuropathy in multiple myeloma. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:233-5 pubmed
- Ocaña J, Echarri R, Liaño F. Rhabdomyolysis. Am J Kidney Dis. 2006;47:A32, e1-2 pubmed
- Parajón A, Vaquero J. Meningel intracranial epithelioid hemangioendothelioma: case report and literature review. J Neurooncol. 2008;88:169-73 pubmed publisher..A review of the literature disclosed other 34 cases of intracranial EH. In these tumors, total resection is mandatory if possible, otherwise radiotherapy is recommended. Outcome is favorable in the majority of cases. ..
- Padial A, Antunez C, Blanca Lopez N, Fernandez T, Cornejo Garcia J, Mayorga C, et al. Non-immediate reactions to beta-lactams: diagnostic value of skin testing and drug provocation test. Clin Exp Allergy. 2008;38:822-8 pubmed publisher..The time between drug intake and the reaction appearance is generally 24-48 h. Because the mechanisms involved are not completely understood, diagnostic tests for these reactions have still to be fully validated...
- Alonso C L, Trinidad E, de Garcillan B, Ballesteros M, Castellanos M, Cotillo I, et al. Expression profile of Eph receptors and ephrin ligands in healthy human B lymphocytes and chronic lymphocytic leukemia B-cells. Leuk Res. 2009;33:395-406 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Eph/EFN might be relevant in normal B-cell biology and could represent new potential prognostic markers and therapeutic targets for CLL. ..
- Palacios S, Wildt L, Parke S, Machlitt A, Römer T, Bitzer J. Efficacy and safety of a novel oral contraceptive based on oestradiol (oestradiol valerate/dienogest): a Phase III trial. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2010;149:57-62 pubmed publisher..The preparation is well tolerated and is associated with a high degree of user satisfaction and a low discontinuation rate. ..
- Torres Aleman I. Toward a comprehensive neurobiology of IGF-I. Dev Neurobiol. 2010;70:384-96 pubmed publisher..Or in a more colloquial way, we may say that IGF-I links body "fitness" with brain fitness, providing a mechanism to the roman saying "mens sana in corpore sano." ..
- Redon J, Coca A, Lazaro P, Aguilar M, Cabañas M, Gil N, et al. Factors associated with therapeutic inertia in hypertension: validation of a predictive model. J Hypertens. 2010;28:1770-7 pubmed publisher..Whereas some aspects of the consultations were associated with therapeutic inertia, physician characteristics were not a decisive factor. ..
- Turnay J, Fort J, Olmo N, Santiago Gómez A, Palacin M, Lizarbe M. Structural characterization and unfolding mechanism of human 4F2hc ectodomain. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1814:536-44 pubmed publisher..Folding seems to be directed by the initial formation of hydrophobic clusters within the first strands of the ?-barrel of domain A followed by additional hydrophobic interactions in domain C. ..
- Ramirez de Molina A, de la Cueva A, Machado Pinilla R, Rodriguez Fanjul V, Gomez del Pulgar T, Cebrian A, et al. Acid ceramidase as a chemotherapeutic target to overcome resistance to the antitumoral effect of choline kinase ? inhibition. Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2012;12:617-24 pubmed
- Ardura J, Sanz A, Ortiz A, Esbrit P. Parathyroid hormone-related protein protects renal tubuloepithelial cells from apoptosis by activating transcription factor Runx2. Kidney Int. 2013;83:825-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, PTHrP regulates renal tubuloepithelial cell survival via Runx2 in the mammalian kidney. ..
- Barrio S, Gallardo M, Arenas A, Ayala R, Rapado I, Rueda D, et al. Inhibition of related JAK/STAT pathways with molecular targeted drugs shows strong synergy with ruxolitinib in chronic myeloproliferative neoplasm. Br J Haematol. 2013;161:667-76 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the combination of ruxolitinib with inhibitors that target these pathways has a strong synergistic effect, which may be due to decreased activation of the common effector, STAT5...
- GarcÃa Doval I, PÃ©rez Zafrilla B, Ferrandiz C, Carretero G, DaudÃ©n E, de la Cueva P, et al. Development of clinical prediction models for good or bad response to classic systemic drugs, anti-TNFs, and ustekinumab in psoriasis, based on the BIOBADADERM cohort. J Dermatolog Treat. 2016;27:203-9 pubmed publisher..However, the predictive characteristics of models are poor. Predictive models of clinical response to systemic drugs in psoriasis with the studied variables do not seem to outperform drug selection by a dermatologist. ..
- MÃ¡rquez J, Mena J, Hernandez Unzueta I, Benedicto A, Sanz E, Arteta B, et al. OcoxinÂ® oral solution slows down tumor growth in an experimental model of colorectal cancer metastasis to the liver in Balb/c mice. Oncol Rep. 2016;35:1265-72 pubmed publisher..These results point out OOS as a potential supplement to be applied as complementary therapy for the treatment of liver metastasis from colorectal cancer. ..
- Lencioni R, Llovet J, Han G, Tak W, Yang J, Guglielmi A, et al. Sorafenib or placebo plus TACE with doxorubicin-eluting beads for intermediate stage HCC: The SPACE trial. J Hepatol. 2016;64:1090-1098 pubmed publisher..224 days). No unexpected adverse events related to sorafenib were observed. Sorafenib plus DEB-TACE was technically feasible, but the combination did not improve TTP in a clinically meaningful manner compared with DEB-TACE alone. ..
- Ramirez P, Lopez Ferraz C, Gordón M, Gimeno A, Villarreal E, Ruiz J, et al. From starting mechanical ventilation to ventilator-associated pneumonia, choosing the right moment to start antibiotic treatment. Crit Care. 2016;20:169 pubmed publisher..Clinicians should be aware of this gradual onset of the infection to establish an early antibiotic treatment, even before the classic diagnostic criteria for VAP are applied. ..
- Salado I, Zaldivar Diez J, Sebastian Perez V, Li L, Geiger L, Gonzalez S, et al. Leucine rich repeat kinase 2 (LRRK2) inhibitors based on indolinone scaffold: Potential pro-neurogenic agents. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;138:328-342 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the indolinone derivatives here prepared, inhibitors of the kinase activity of LRRK2, may be considered as pharmacological probes to study the potential neuroregeneration of the damaged brain. ..
- Gomez L, Barrios C, Kreicbergs A, Zetterberg A, Pestana A, Castresana J. Absence of mutation at the GAP-related domain of the neurofibromatosis type 1 gene in sporadic neurofibrosarcomas and other bone and soft tissue sarcomas. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 1995;81:173-4 pubmed..We suggest that inactivation of the NF1-GRD by gene mutation seems not to be an important event in the tumorigenesis of sarcomas...
- Porcel S, Leon F, Martín Calderín P, Valero A, Botello A, Alvarez Cuesta E. Occupational asthma caused by grass pea used in the industrial processing of parquet. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2001;29:207-11 pubmed..Clinical and immunological studies were performed to confirm a type I hypersensitivity mechanism in a case of occupational asthma to grass pea flour exposure, used in the industrial processing of parquet...
- Ruiz Iban M, Crespo P, Diaz Peletier R, Rozado A, Lopez Pardo A. Total hip arthroplasty infected by Brucella: a report of two cases. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2006;14:99-103 pubmed..As the Brucella pathogen is highly susceptible to antibiotics, standard 2-stage revision arthroplasty for loosened implant or debridement and antibiotic treatment for well-fixed implant should suffice...
- Hernando V, Pastor J, Pedrosa M, Peña E, Sola R. Low-frequency bilateral hypothalamic stimulation for treatment of drug-resistant aggressiveness in a young man with mental retardation. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 2008;86:219-23 pubmed publisher..The patient had an improved response to low-frequency stimulation that was sustained 18 months later at a follow-up examination. ..
- Baquero F, Hsueh P, Paterson D, Rossi F, Bochicchio G, Gallagher G, et al. In vitro susceptibilities of aerobic and facultatively anaerobic gram-negative bacilli isolated from patients with intra-abdominal infections worldwide: 2005 results from Study for Monitoring Antimicrobial Resistance Trends (SMART). Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2009;10:99-104 pubmed publisher..The Study for Monitoring Antimicrobial Resistance Trends (SMART) is examining aerobic and facultatively anaerobic gram-negative bacilli (GNB) isolated from intra-abdominal infections. This report summarizes the 2005 annual data...
- Requena L, Jaqueti G, Rutten A, Mentzel T, Kutzner H. Merkel cell carcinoma within follicular cysts: report of two cases. J Cutan Pathol. 2008;35:1127-33 pubmed..The description of five cases of Merkel cell carcinoma within follicular cysts, including the two cases of this report, support some relationship between Merkel cell tumor and the hair follicle...
- Benito Leon J, Louis E, Bermejo Pareja F. Risk of incident Parkinson's disease and parkinsonism in essential tremor: a population based study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2009;80:423-5 pubmed publisher..27, 95% CI 1.72 to 10.61; p = 0.002). Patients with ET were four times more likely than controls to develop incident PD during prospective follow-up. These data confirm and begin to quantify the link between these two diseases. ..
- Custodio A, Puente J, Sastre J, Diaz Rubio E. Second-line therapy for advanced pancreatic cancer: a review of the literature and future directions. Cancer Treat Rev. 2009;35:676-84 pubmed publisher..The main goal of this paper is reviewing this topic. ..
- Bru A, Souto J, Alcolea S, Anton R, Remacha A, Camacho M, et al. Tumour cell lines HT-29 and FaDu produce proinflammatory cytokines and activate neutrophils in vitro: possible applications for neutrophil-based antitumour treatment. Mediators Inflamm. 2009;2009:817498 pubmed publisher..These results support the idea that tumour cells might normally induce a potent acute inflammatory response, leading to their own destruction. ..
- Cavanillas M, Alcina A, Nunez C, De las Heras V, Fernandez Arquero M, Bartolome M, et al. Polymorphisms in the IL2, IL2RA and IL2RB genes in multiple sclerosis risk. Eur J Hum Genet. 2010;18:794-9 pubmed publisher..The relevant role of the IL2RA gene on MS susceptibility adds support to its common effect on autoimmune risk and the suggestive association of IL2/IL21 warrants further investigation. ..
- de Castro J. HLA-B27 and ankylosing spondylitis: tales from China. Tissue Antigens. 2010;75:9-11 pubmed publisher..Two articles in this issue report that the association to AS in this ethnic group is stronger for B*2704 than for B*2705. Thus, at least among the Han, B*2704 would be the strongest known susceptibility factor for AS...
- Arroyo R, Martin V, Maldonado A, Jiménez E, Fernández L, Rodriguez J. Treatment of infectious mastitis during lactation: antibiotics versus oral administration of Lactobacilli isolated from breast milk. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50:1551-8 pubmed publisher..fermentum CECT5716 or L. salivarius CECT5713 appears to be an efficient alternative to the use of commonly prescribed antibiotics for the treatment of infectious mastitis during lactation. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier. NCT00716183. ..
- García Fernández L, Halstenberg S, Unger R, Aguilar M, Kirkpatrick C, San Roman J. Anti-angiogenic activity of heparin-like polysulfonated polymeric drugs in 3D human cell culture. Biomaterials. 2010;31:7863-72 pubmed publisher..The 3D experiments constitute an improvement over 2D in vitro experiments and in vivo experiments with angiogenic drugs and may help to reduce the number of animal experiments. ..
- Fortun J, Carratala J, Gavalda J, Lizasoain M, Salavert M, de La Camara R, et al. [Guidelines for the treatment of invasive fungal disease by Aspergillus spp. and other fungi issued by the Spanish Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology (SEIMC). 2011 Update]. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2011;29:435-54 pubmed publisher..Specific recommendations on the prevention of fungal infections in these patients are included. ..
- Sanz A, Sanchez Niño M, Ortiz A. TWEAK, a multifunctional cytokine in kidney injury. Kidney Int. 2011;80:708-18 pubmed publisher..The available evidence suggests that TWEAK may provide diagnostic information and be a therapeutic target in renal injury. Its role in human kidney disease should be further explored. ..
- Fortun J, Martin Davila P, Navas E, Lopez Velez R, Pintado V, Cobo J, et al. Changes in the epidemiology of tuberculosis: the influence of international migration flows. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2011;29:654-9 pubmed publisher..The increase in the number of older patients with TB and the presence of specific comorbid conditions, especially chronic liver dysfunction, could explain the more difficult management and increased mortality. ..
- Goodman A, Heinen P, Guerra S, Vijayan A, Sorzano C, Gomez C, et al. A human multi-epitope recombinant vaccinia virus as a universal T cell vaccine candidate against influenza virus. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25938 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that DNA prime/poxvirus boost with human multi-epitope recombinant influenza virus proteins is a valid approach for a general T-cell vaccine to protect against influenza virus infection. ..
- Lozano D, Feito M, Portal Nuñez S, Lozano R, Matesanz M, Serrano M, et al. Osteostatin improves the osteogenic activity of fibroblast growth factor-2 immobilized in Si-doped hydroxyapatite in osteoblastic cells. Acta Biomater. 2012;8:2770-7 pubmed publisher..These findings provide an attractive strategy for bone tissue engineering. ..
- Casado E, García V, Sanchez J, Gómez Del Pulgar M, Feliu J, Maurel J, et al. Upregulation of trefoil factor 3 (TFF3) after rectal cancer chemoradiotherapy is an adverse prognostic factor and a potential therapeutic target. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012;84:1151-8 pubmed publisher..The physiological role of TFF3 in restoring the mucosa during CRT could be interfering with treatment efficacy. Our results could reveal not only a novel RC prognostic marker but also a therapeutic target. ..
- Muñoz Repeto I, Garcia M, Kamieniak M, Ramon Y Cajal T, Domingo S, Cazorla A, et al. Phenotypic characterization of hereditary epithelial ovarian cancer based on a tissue microarray study. Histol Histopathol. 2013;28:133-44 pubmed publisher..Unsupervised cluster analysis and survival analysis identified ERCC1 as a potential marker of better clinical outcome for hereditary epithelial ovarian cancer. ..
- Olza Fernández I, Marín Gabriel M, García Murillo L, Malalana Martinez A, Costarelli V, Millán Santos I. Mode of delivery may influence neonatal responsiveness to maternal separation. Early Hum Dev. 2013;89:339-42 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to determine the potential long-term implications of variations in mother-infant attachment during the first days of life. ..
- Gordillo Moscoso A, Ruiz E, Carnero M, Reguillo F, Rodriguez E, Tejerina T, et al. Relationship between serum levels of triglycerides and vascular inflammation, measured as COX-2, in arteries from diabetic patients: a translational study. Lipids Health Dis. 2013;12:62 pubmed publisher..214, P < 0.04). We conclude that is not the glucose blood levels but the triglycerides levels what increases the expression of COX-2 in arteries from DP. ..
- Ruiz Sáenz A, van Haren J, Sayas C, Rangel L, Demmers J, Millan J, et al. Protein 4.1R binds to CLASP2 and regulates dynamics, organization and attachment of microtubules to the cell cortex. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:4589-601 pubmed publisher..1R in locally controlling CLASP2 behavior, CLASP2 cortical platform turnover and GSK3 activity, enabling correct MT organization and dynamics essential for cell polarity...