Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Madrid, Spain
Locale: Madrid, Spain
Publications1166 found, 100 shown here
- Veiga J, Polo V. Feathers at nests are potential female signals in the spotless starling. Biol Lett. 2005;1:334-7 pubmed..The results suggest that feathers are arranged to maximize their conspicuousness within the nest and hence that they might be potentially used as intraspecific signals. ..
- Contreras L, Gomez Puertas P, Iijima M, Kobayashi K, Saheki T, Satrustegui J. Ca2+ Activation kinetics of the two aspartate-glutamate mitochondrial carriers, aralar and citrin: role in the heart malate-aspartate NADH shuttle. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:7098-106 pubmed..In addition, the results reveal that the two AGCs fully account for shuttle activity in mouse heart mitochondria and that no other glutamate transporter can replace the AGCs in this pathway. ..
- Vela A, Fernandez A, Espinosa de los Monteros A, Goyache J, Herraez P, Tames B, et al. Lactobacillus ceti sp. nov., isolated from beaked whales (Ziphius cavirostris). Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2008;58:891-4 pubmed publisher..nov. The type strain is 142-2T (=CECT 7185T=CCUG 53626T)...
- González I, Aparicio R, Busturia A. Functional characterization of the dRYBP gene in Drosophila. Genetics. 2008;179:1373-88 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they also indicate that dRYBP participates in the control of cell proliferation and cell differentiation and we propose that its functional requirement may well depend on the robustness of the animal. ..
- Vila del Sol V, Punzon C, Fresno M. IFN-gamma-induced TNF-alpha expression is regulated by interferon regulatory factors 1 and 8 in mouse macrophages. J Immunol. 2008;181:4461-70 pubmed..In summary, IFN-gamma treatment induces TNF-alpha expression at transcriptional level requiring the coordinate action of IRF-1 and IRF-8. ..
- Correa F, Mestre L, Docagne F, Borrell J, Guaza C. The endocannabinoid anandamide from immunomodulation to neuroprotection. Implications for multiple sclerosis. Vitam Horm. 2009;81:207-30 pubmed publisher..This chapter focuses on our current understanding of the function of anandamide (AEA), its biological and therapeutic implications, as well as a description of its effects on neuroimmune modulation. ..
- Ayuso M, Hernández Jiménez M, Martín M, Salinas M, Alcazar A. New hierarchical phosphorylation pathway of the translational repressor eIF4E-binding protein 1 (4E-BP1) in ischemia-reperfusion stress. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:34355-63 pubmed publisher..These data help to elucidate the physiological role of 4E-BP1 phosphorylation in controlling protein synthesis. ..
- Del Cid Pellitero E, Garzón M. Hypocretin1/OrexinA-containing axons innervate locus coeruleus neurons that project to the Rat medial prefrontal cortex. Implication in the sleep-wakefulness cycle and cortical activation. Synapse. 2011;65:843-57 pubmed publisher..In narcoleptics, who are deficient in Hcrt1/OxA, impairment of this Hcrt1/OxA hypothalamic input to LC might contribute to the appearance of excessive daytime sleepiness. ..
- Rubio N, Cerciat M, Unkila M, Garcia Segura L, Arevalo M. An in vitro experimental model of neuroinflammation: the induction of interleukin-6 in murine astrocytes infected with Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus, and its inhibition by oestrogenic receptor modulators. Immunology. 2011;133:360-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, this in vitro neuroinflammation model was fully inhibited, as demonstrated by ELISA and qPCR, by five selective oestrogen receptor modulators. ..
- Castilla Cortazar I, Garcia Fernandez M, Delgado G, Puche J, Sierra I, Barhoum R, et al. Hepatoprotection and neuroprotection induced by low doses of IGF-II in aging rats. J Transl Med. 2011;9:103 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that low doses of IGF-II induce hepatoprotective, neuroprotective and metabolic effects, improving mitochondrial function, without affecting testosterone and IGF-I levels. ..
- Gradilla A, Mansilla A, Ferrús A. Isoform-specific regulation of a steroid hormone nuclear receptor by an E3 ubiquitin ligase in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2011;189:871-83 pubmed publisher..This fine-tuned orchestration by a conserved ubiquitin ligase is required during insect metamorphosis and, likely, in other steroid hormone-controlled processes across species. ..
- Pérez de Diego A, Athmaram T, Stewart M, Rodriguez Sanchez B, Sanchez Vizcaino J, Noad R, et al. Characterization of protection afforded by a bivalent virus-like particle vaccine against bluetongue virus serotypes 1 and 4 in sheep. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26666 pubmed publisher..VLPs therefore offer the potential for the development of DIVA compatible bluetongue vaccines...
- Perucho J, Casarejos M, Gomez A, Solano R, de Yebenes J, Mena M. Trehalose protects from aggravation of amyloid pathology induced by isoflurane anesthesia in APP(swe) mutant mice. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2012;9:334-43 pubmed..Our study, therefore, provides new therapeutic avenues that could help to prevent the putative pro-amyloidogenic properties of small volatile anesthetics. ..
- Calderon L, Harris R, Cordoba Diaz M, Elorza M, Elorza B, Lenoir J, et al. Nano and microparticulate chitosan-based systems for antiviral topical delivery. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2013;48:216-22 pubmed publisher..SMI results showed that chitosan-based particles induced moderate irritation and mild tissue damage, what supposes that ACV-MP constitute a promising alternative for further development of an antiviral formulation. ..
- Castro Sánchez P, Martín Villa J. Gut immune system and oral tolerance. Br J Nutr. 2013;109 Suppl 2:S3-11 pubmed publisher..Orally fed antigens seek to generate these types of cells in the treatment of autoimmune diseases in experimental animals or human subjects. ..
- Pecl G, Araujo M, Bell J, Blanchard J, Bonebrake T, Chen I, et al. Biodiversity redistribution under climate change: Impacts on ecosystems and human well-being. Science. 2017;355: pubmed publisher..Consideration of these effects of biodiversity redistribution is critical yet lacking in most mitigation and adaptation strategies, including the United Nation's Sustainable Development Goals. ..
- Núñez J, Martin M, Piccone M, Carrillo E, Palma E, Dopazo J, et al. Identification of optimal regions for phylogenetic studies on VP1 gene of foot-and-mouth disease virus: analysis of types A and O Argentinean viruses. Vet Res. 2001;32:31-45 pubmed..In addition, a detailed phylogeny for type A FMDV is presented. ..
- Moreno Flores M, Martín Aparicio E, Martín Bermejo M, Agudo M, McMahon S, Avila J, et al. Semaphorin 3C preserves survival and induces neuritogenesis of cerebellar granule neurons in culture. J Neurochem. 2003;87:879-90 pubmed..These data support the idea that secreted sema3C favors survival and neuritogenesis of cultured CGNs. ..
- Santín Durán M, Alunda J, Hoberg E. Abomasal parasites in wild sympatric cervids, red deer, Cervus elaphus and fallow deer, Dama dama, from three localities across central and western Spain: relationship to host density and park management. J Parasitol. 2004;90:1378-86 pubmed..Helminth burdens were higher in fallow deer than in the sympatric red deer and may reflect the gregarious social structure and different foraging patterns of fallow deer. ..
- Lavado A, Matheu A, Serrano M, Montoliu L. A strategy to study tyrosinase transgenes in mouse melanocytes. BMC Cell Biol. 2005;6:18 pubmed..We cannot exclude that Ink4a-Arf mutations could affect the melanin biosynthetic pathway. Therefore, subsequent experiments with melanocytes will have to be performed in a normalized genetic background regarding the Ink4a-Arf locus. ..
- Borrego B, Fernandez Pacheco P, Ganges L, Domenech N, Fernandez Borges N, Sobrino F, et al. DNA vaccines expressing B and T cell epitopes can protect mice from FMDV infection in the absence of specific humoral responses. Vaccine. 2006;24:3889-99 pubmed..Further work must be done to elucidate the mechanisms involved in protection and to determine the protective potential of these vaccines in natural FMDV hosts. ..
- Santibanez J, Letamendia A, Perez Barriocanal F, Silvestri C, Saura M, Vary C, et al. Endoglin increases eNOS expression by modulating Smad2 protein levels and Smad2-dependent TGF-beta signaling. J Cell Physiol. 2007;210:456-68 pubmed..These results suggest that endoglin enhances Smad2 protein levels potentiating TGF-beta signaling, and leading to an increased eNOS expression in endothelial cells. ..
- MartÃnez M, RodrÃguez Vigal C, Jones O, Coulson T, San Miguel A. Different hunting strategies select for different weights in red deer. Biol Lett. 2005;1:353-6 pubmed
- Fernández J, Agüero M, Romero L, Sanchez C, Belak S, Arias M, et al. Rapid and differential diagnosis of foot-and-mouth disease, swine vesicular disease, and vesicular stomatitis by a new multiplex RT-PCR assay. J Virol Methods. 2008;147:301-11 pubmed..Additionally, a uniplex RT-PCR for VSV, that amplifies the two viral serotypes, was also developed and tested as a rapid tool for the diagnosis of this vesicular disease...
- Ganan M, Carrascosa A, de Pascual Teresa S, Martinez Rodriguez A. Inhibition by yeast-derived mannoproteins of adherence to and invasion of Caco-2 cells by Campylobacter jejuni. J Food Prot. 2009;72:55-9 pubmed..The study of the mechanisms involved in the inhibition of C. jejuni adherence and invasion by mannoproteins may have further implications in the control of this foodborne pathogen. ..
- Diéguez Uribeondo J, Garcia M, Cerenius L, Kozubíková E, Ballesteros I, Windels C, et al. Phylogenetic relationships among plant and animal parasites, and saprotrophs in Aphanomyces (Oomycetes). Fungal Genet Biol. 2009;46:365-76 pubmed publisher..Saprotrophic or opportunistic species formed a separate evolutionary lineage except Aphanomyces stellatus whose evolutionary position has not yet been resolved...
- Traves P, López Fontal R, Luque A, Hortelano S. The tumor suppressor ARF regulates innate immune responses in mice. J Immunol. 2011;187:6527-38 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that tumor suppressor ARF is a new regulator of inflammatory cell signaling. ..
- Diaz Padilla I, Razak A, Minig L, Bernardini M, María Del Campo J. Prognostic and predictive value of CA-125 in the primary treatment of epithelial ovarian cancer: potentials and pitfalls. Clin Transl Oncol. 2012;14:15-20 pubmed
- Izquierdo M, Sanz A, Mezzano S, Blanco J, Carrasco S, Sanchez Nino M, et al. TWEAK (tumor necrosis factor-like weak inducer of apoptosis) activates CXCL16 expression during renal tubulointerstitial inflammation. Kidney Int. 2012;81:1098-107 pubmed publisher..Thus, TWEAK upregulates the expression of the chemokine CXCL16 in tubular epithelium and this may contribute to kidney tubulointerstitial inflammation. ..
- Jimenez Escrig A, Gobernado I, Garcia Villanueva M, Sanchez Herranz A. Autosomal recessive Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy caused by a novel mutation (R225Q) in the lamin A/C gene identified by exome sequencing. Muscle Nerve. 2012;45:605-10 pubmed publisher..G674A in exon 4 of LMNA causing a protein change R225Q in an arginine conserved from human to Xenopus tropicalis and in lamin B1. This technique will be preferred for studying patients with muscular dystrophy in the coming years. ..
- Marchant M, Moreno M. Dynamics and diversity of Escherichia coli in animals and system management of the manure on a commercial farrow-to-finish pig farm. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2013;79:853-9 pubmed publisher..This population, the most important from a public health perspective, demonstrated the lowest levels of antimicrobial resistance and integron presence. ..
- Martinez Beringola M, Salto T, Vazquez G, Larena I, Melgarejo P, De Cal A. Penicillium oxalicum reduces the number of cysts and juveniles of potato cyst nematodes. J Appl Microbiol. 2013;115:199-206 pubmed publisher..Our results show that P. oxalicum is a potential biocontrol inoculant for protecting potato crops against PCNs. Penicillium oxalicum has potential to be used in order to reduce PCNs. ..
- Martínez Diez M, Guillén Navarro M, Pera B, Bouchet B, Martinez Leal J, Barasoain I, et al. PM060184, a new tubulin binding agent with potent antitumor activity including P-glycoprotein over-expressing tumors. Biochem Pharmacol. 2014;88:291-302 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that PM060184 represents a new tubulin binding agent with promising potential as an anticancer agent. ..
- Navarro Y, Romero B, Bouza E, DomÃnguez L, de Juan L, GarcÃa de Viedma D. Detailed chronological analysis of microevolution events in herds infected persistently by Mycobacterium bovis. Vet Microbiol. 2016;183:97-102 pubmed publisher..bovis. We could therefore ensure that related clonal variants emerging as a result of microevolution events are not going to be misinterpreted as unrelated isolates. ..
- Puram R, Kowalczyk M, de Boer C, Schneider R, Miller P, McConkey M, et al. Core Circadian Clock Genes Regulate Leukemia Stem Cells in AML. Cell. 2016;165:303-16 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish a role for the core circadian clock genes in AML. ..
- Martin J, Hunt S, Dubus P, Sotillo R, Néhmé Pélluard F, Magnuson M, et al. Genetic rescue of Cdk4 null mice restores pancreatic beta-cell proliferation but not homeostatic cell number. Oncogene. 2003;22:5261-9 pubmed..Thus, mammalian Cdk4 is not only involved in controlling proliferation of specific cell types but may play a wider role in establishing homeostatic cell numbers. ..
- Nombela Arrieta C, Lacalle R, Montoya M, Kunisaki Y, Megias D, Marqués M, et al. Differential requirements for DOCK2 and phosphoinositide-3-kinase gamma during T and B lymphocyte homing. Immunity. 2004;21:429-41 pubmed..DOCK2 and PI3Kgamma thus play distinct roles during T and B cell integrin activation and migration. ..
- Diaz Hernandez M, del Puerto A, Díaz Hernández J, Diez Zaera M, Lucas J, Garrido J, et al. Inhibition of the ATP-gated P2X7 receptor promotes axonal growth and branching in cultured hippocampal neurons. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:3717-28 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that P2X7 antagonists have therapeutic potential to promote axonal regeneration. ..
- Arce M, Rodríguez Franco M, González Muñoz G, Perez C, Lopez B, Villarroya M, et al. Neuroprotective and cholinergic properties of multifunctional glutamic acid derivatives for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. J Med Chem. 2009;52:7249-57 pubmed publisher..They also display neuroprotective properties against mitochondrial free radicals, show low toxicity, and could be able to penetrate into the CNS. ..
- Ciruelos E, Cortes Funes H, Ghanem I, Manso L, Arteaga C. Role of inhibitors of mammalian target of rapamycin in the treatment of luminal breast cancer. Anticancer Drugs. 2013;24:769-80 pubmed publisher..This is the first time that a drug will have been approved for the restoration of hormone sensitivity in breast cancer. ..
- López Contreras A, Specks J, Barlow J, Ambrogio C, Desler C, Vikingsson S, et al. Increased Rrm2 gene dosage reduces fragile site breakage and prolongs survival of ATR mutant mice. Genes Dev. 2015;29:690-5 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals the first genetic condition in mammals that reduces fragile site expression and alleviates the severity of a progeroid disease by increasing RNR activity. ..
- del Aguila C, Lopez Velez R, Fenoy S, Turrientes C, Cobo J, Navajas R, et al. Identification of Enterocytozoon bieneusi spores in respiratory samples from an AIDS patient with a 2-year history of intestinal microsporidiosis. J Clin Microbiol. 1997;35:1862-6 pubmed..bieneusi is capable of colonizing the respiratory tract and it is suggested that investigators should be aware of the possibility of finding E. bieneusi spores in respiratory secretions. ..
- Berlanga J, Herrero S, de Haro C. Characterization of the hemin-sensitive eukaryotic initiation factor 2alpha kinase from mouse nonerythroid cells. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:32340-6 pubmed..These results provide strong evidence that mHRI is a ubiquitous eIF2alpha kinase of mammalian cells, suggesting that it could play important roles in the translational regulation of nonerythroid tissues. ..
- Martín De La Vega C, Burda J, Nemethova M, Quevedo C, Alcazar A, Martin M, et al. Possible mechanisms involved in the down-regulation of translation during transient global ischaemia in the rat brain. Biochem J. 2001;357:819-26 pubmed
- Molina Holgado E, Arevalo Martin A, Castrillo A, Bosca L, Vela J, Guaza C. Interleukin-4 and interleukin-10 modulate nuclear factor kappaB activity and nitric oxide synthase-2 expression in Theiler's virus-infected brain astrocytes. J Neurochem. 2002;81:1242-52 pubmed..Overall, these data suggest a novel mechanism of action of IL-4 and IL-10, which abrogates NOS-2 expression in viral-infected glial cells. ..
- Mur C, Arribas M, Benito M, Valverde A. Essential role of insulin-like growth factor I receptor in insulin-induced fetal brown adipocyte differentiation. Endocrinology. 2003;144:581-93 pubmed..These data provide strong evidence for a critical role of IGF-IR in the differentiation of the brown adipocyte phenotype in fetal life; this effect is mimicked by PPARgamma in an insulin-independent manner. ..
- Pey A, Saborido A, Blázquez I, Delgado J, Megías A. Effects of prolonged stanozolol treatment on antioxidant enzyme activities, oxidative stress markers, and heat shock protein HSP72 levels in rat liver. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2003;87:269-77 pubmed..The present data show that 8 wk ingestion of ST, either with or without concurrent exercise training, can induce oxidative stress in rat liver despite the up-regulation of enzymatic antioxidant activities. ..
- Colmenares F, Esteban M, Zaragoza F. One-male units and clans in a colony of hamadryas baboons (Papio hamadryas hamadryas): effect of male number and clan cohesion on feeding success. Am J Primatol. 2006;68:21-37 pubmed
- Sala Valdés M, Ursa A, Charrin S, Rubinstein E, Hemler M, Sanchez Madrid F, et al. EWI-2 and EWI-F link the tetraspanin web to the actin cytoskeleton through their direct association with ezrin-radixin-moesin proteins. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:19665-75 pubmed..Hence, EWI proteins, through their direct interaction with ERM proteins, act as linkers to connect tetraspanin-associated microdomains to actin cytoskeleton regulating cell motility and polarity. ..
- Hernández M, Barahona M, Recio P, Bustamante S, Benedito S, Rivera L, et al. PACAP 38 is involved in the non-adrenergic non-cholinergic inhibitory neurotransmission in the pig urinary bladder neck. Neurourol Urodyn. 2006;25:490-7 pubmed
- Flores I, Evan G, Blasco M. Genetic analysis of myc and telomerase interactions in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:6130-8 pubmed..Taken together, these results highlight telomerase as a mediator of Myc-induced papillomatosis and suggest telomerase as a putative therapeutic target for Myc-dependent lesions. ..
- Gonzalez Rodriguez A, Clampit J, Escribano O, Benito M, Rondinone C, Valverde A. Developmental switch from prolonged insulin action to increased insulin sensitivity in protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B-deficient hepatocytes. Endocrinology. 2007;148:594-608 pubmed..Thus, changes in IR and IRS-2 expression and in the balance between regulatory and catalytic subunits of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase are necessary to achieve insulin sensitization in adult PTP1B(-/-) hepatocytes. ..
- Espinosa J, Morales M, Castilla J, Rogers M, Torres J. Progression of prion infectivity in asymptomatic cattle after oral bovine spongiform encephalopathy challenge. J Gen Virol. 2007;88:1379-83 pubmed..Infectivity in brainstem increased markedly at 33 months after inoculation. All other investigated tissues or fluids (spleen, skeletal muscle, blood and urine) revealed no detectable infectivity throughout the time course studied. ..
- Sanchez A, Contreras C, Villalba N, Martinez P, Martinez A, Briones A, et al. Altered arachidonic acid metabolism via COX-1 and COX-2 contributes to the endothelial dysfunction of penile arteries from obese Zucker rats. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;159:604-16 pubmed publisher..The aim of the current study was to investigate the role of arachidonic acid (AA) metabolism via cyclooxygenase (COX) in the endothelial dysfunction of penile arteries from pre-diabetic, obese Zucker rats (OZR)...
- Molina Jiménez F, Benedicto I, Murata M, Martín Vílchez S, Seki T, Antonio Pintor Toro J, et al. Expression of pituitary tumor-transforming gene 1 (PTTG1)/securin in hepatitis B virus (HBV)-associated liver diseases: evidence for an HBV X protein-mediated inhibition of PTTG1 ubiquitination and degradation. Hepatology. 2010;51:777-87 pubmed publisher..We propose that HBx promotes an abnormal accumulation of PTTG1, which may provide new insights into the molecular mechanisms of HBV-related pathogenesis of progressive liver disease leading to HCC development. ..
- Stimamiglio M, Jiménez E, Silva Barbosa S, Alfaro D, García Ceca J, Muñoz J, et al. EphB2-mediated interactions are essential for proper migration of T cell progenitors during fetal thymus colonization. J Leukoc Biol. 2010;88:483-94 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest the relevance of a nonactivated EphB2 for regulating T cell progenitor migration and its modulation upon ephrin-B engagement. ..
- Carrillo L, Martinez M, Ramessar K, Cambra I, Castanera P, Ortego F, et al. Expression of a barley cystatin gene in maize enhances resistance against phytophagous mites by altering their cysteine-proteases. Plant Cell Rep. 2011;30:101-12 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal the potential of barley cystatins as acaricide proteins to protect plants against two important mite pests. ..
- Blanco Rivero J, Márquez Rodas I, Sastre E, Cogolludo A, Perez Vizcaino F, del Campo L, et al. Cirrhosis decreases vasoconstrictor response to electrical field stimulation in rat mesenteric artery: role of calcitonin gene-related peptide. Exp Physiol. 2011;96:275-86 pubmed publisher..This effect of CGRP may play a role in the splanchnic vasodilatation present in liver cirrhosis...
- Zaballos M, Santisteban P. FOXO1 controls thyroid cell proliferation in response to TSH and IGF-I and is involved in thyroid tumorigenesis. Mol Endocrinol. 2013;27:50-62 pubmed publisher..These data point to an important role of FoxO1 in mediating the effects of TSH and IGF-I on thyroid cell proliferation and provide a link between loss of FoxO1 expression and the uncontrolled proliferation of thyroid tumor cells. ..
- Perez Chacon G, Martínez Laperche C, Rebolleda N, Somovilla Crespo B, MuÃ±oz Calleja C, BuÃ±o I, et al. Indole-3-Carbinol Synergizes with and Restores Fludarabine Sensitivity in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Cells Irrespective of p53 Activity and Treatment Resistances. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:134-45 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the low toxicity of I3C, already clinically tested, supports its use as adjuvant and combinatory therapy in CLL, particularly for patients with relapsed or refractory disease. ..
- Arranz Solís D, Pedraza Díaz S, Miró G, Rojo Montejo S, Hernandez L, Ortega Mora L, et al. Tritrichomonas foetus infection in cats with diarrhea from densely housed origins. Vet Parasitol. 2016;221:118-22 pubmed publisher..These results confirm the importance of FT as a cause of chronic diarrhea in cats and highlight the relevance of close contact conditions for T. foetus transmission. ..
- Zaldo C, Serrano M, Han X, Cascales C, Cantero M, Montoliu L, et al. Efficient up-conversion in Yb:Er:NaT(XO4)2 thermal nanoprobes. Imaging of their distribution in a perfused mouse. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177596 pubmed publisher..Fluorescence lifetime and multiphoton imaging microscopies show that these nanoparticles can be efficiently distributed to all body organs of a perfused mouse. ..
- Vasilijevic J, Zamarreño N, Oliveros J, Rodriguez Frandsen A, Gomez G, Rodriguez G, et al. Reduced accumulation of defective viral genomes contributes to severe outcome in influenza virus infected patients. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006650 pubmed publisher..Viruses with fewer DVGs accumulation were observed in patients with highly severe/fatal outcome than in those with mild disease, suggesting that low DVGs abundance constitutes a new virulence pathogenic marker in humans...
- Munoz J, Roca C, Santos J, Arroyo M, de Salamanca R. Effect of zinc or S-adenosyl-l-methionine on long term administration of low doses of lead to rats. Pharmacol Toxicol. 1993;73:189-91 pubmed..01) higher activities of the enzyme. It is argued that SAM treatment causes a surplus of thiols that allows the full expression of ALA-D catalytic activity. ..
- García Briones M, Russell G, Oliver R, Tami C, Taboga O, Carrillo E, et al. Association of bovine DRB3 alleles with immune response to FMDV peptides and protection against viral challenge. Vaccine. 2000;19:1167-71 pubmed..2*12 was also associated with low SNT titres. Overall, the results indicate that the polymorphism in BoLA class II molecules affects both the immune response and protection induced by potential FMD peptide vaccines. ..
- Berrendero F, Sanchez A, Cabranes A, Puerta C, Ramos J, Garcia Merino A, et al. Changes in cannabinoid CB(1) receptors in striatal and cortical regions of rats with experimental allergic encephalomyelitis, an animal model of multiple sclerosis. Synapse. 2001;41:195-202 pubmed
- Pérez Uz B, Guinea A. Morphology and infraciliature of a marine scuticociliate with a polymorphic life cycle: Urocryptum tortum n. gen., n. comb. J Eukaryot Microbiol. 2001;48:338-47 pubmed..The Hk is displaced anteriorly and becomes straight, losing the shape typical of exponential growth phase cells. Cysts are pyriform with a wide cyst wall; no infraciliary structures were visible. ..
- Zardoya R, Meyer A. The evolutionary position of turtles revised. Naturwissenschaften. 2001;88:193-200 pubmed..Accepting these hypotheses implies that turtles cannot be viewed any longer as primitive reptiles, and that they might have lost the temporal holes in the skull secondarily rather than never having had them...
- Herrera B, Fernandez M, Alvarez A, Roncero C, Benito M, Gil J, et al. Activation of caspases occurs downstream from radical oxygen species production, Bcl-xL down-regulation, and early cytochrome C release in apoptosis induced by transforming growth factor beta in rat fetal hepatocytes. Hepatology. 2001;34:548-56 pubmed..fmk completely blocks nucleosomal DNA fragmentation, it only delays cell death, which suggests that activation of the apoptotic program by TGF-beta in fetal hepatocytes inevitably leads to death, with or without caspases. ..
- Garcia M, Guedeja Marrón J, Lazaro M, Blanco J. Monitoring of canine dermatophytosis by an immunodiagnostic method. Vet Rec. 2004;154:116-7 pubmed
- Alonso A, Martin P, Albarran C, Garcia P, Garcia O, de Simón L, et al. Real-time PCR designs to estimate nuclear and mitochondrial DNA copy number in forensic and ancient DNA studies. Forensic Sci Int. 2004;139:141-9 pubmed..The potential utility of this technology to improve the quality of some PCR-based forensic and ancient DNA studies (microsatellite typing and mtDNA sequencing) is discussed. ..
- Obreo J, Diez Marqués L, Lamas S, Düwell A, Eleno N, Bernabeu C, et al. Endoglin expression regulates basal and TGF-beta1-induced extracellular matrix synthesis in cultured L6E9 myoblasts. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2004;14:301-10 pubmed..This effect was significantly lower in endoglin-transfected than in mock-transfected cells. These results demonstrate that endoglin expression negatively regulates basal and TGF-beta1-induced CTGF and collagen expression and synthesis. ..
- Salinas M, Wang J, Rosa de Sagarra M, Martin D, Rojo A, Martin Perez J, et al. Protein kinase Akt/PKB phosphorylates heme oxygenase-1 in vitro and in vivo. FEBS Lett. 2004;578:90-4 pubmed..Although the changes in activity are small, this study provides the first evidence for a role of the survival kinase Akt in the regulation of HO-1. ..
- Lopez J, Moreno N, Morona R, Muñoz M, González A. Spatiotemporal sequence of appearance of NPFF-immunoreactive structures in the developing central nervous system of Xenopus laevis. Peptides. 2006;27:1036-53 pubmed..In general, NPFF immunoreactivity developed earlier in amphibians than in mammals. ..
- Diéguez Uribeondo J, Fregeneda Grandes J, Cerenius L, Pérez Iniesta E, Aller Gancedo J, Telleria M, et al. Re-evaluation of the enigmatic species complex Saprolegnia diclina-Saprolegnia parasitica based on morphological, physiological and molecular data. Fungal Genet Biol. 2007;44:585-601 pubmed..The use of the name S. parasitica should be assigned to isolates of clade I that contained isolates forming cysts with bundles of long-hooked hairs...
- Plaza C, Nogales R, Senesi N, Benitez E, Polo A. Organic matter humification by vermicomposting of cattle manure alone and mixed with two-phase olive pomace. Bioresour Technol. 2008;99:5085-9 pubmed..Vermicomposting was thus able to promote organic matter humification in both CM alone and in the mixture OP+CM, thus enhancing the quality of these materials as soil organic amendments. ..
- Granado M, Martín A, Castillero E, López Calderón A, Villanúa M. Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition reverts the decrease in adiponectin levels and attenuates the loss of white adipose tissue during chronic inflammation. Eur J Pharmacol. 2009;608:97-103 pubmed publisher..All these data indicate that COX-2 activation plays a role in the decrease in adiponectin secreted by adipocytes and in the loss in white adipose tissue mass in arthritic rats. ..
- Santamaria B, Ucero A, Benito Martin A, Selgas R, Ruiz Ortega M, Sanz A, et al. Taming apoptosis in peritoneal dialysis. Perit Dial Int. 2009;29 Suppl 2:S45-8 pubmed..In addition, novel molecular targets have been identified. Short-term modulation of apoptosis may be useful to accelerate recovery and to prevent irreversible peritoneal injury following peritonitis. ..
- Madrigal Matute J, Lopez Franco O, Blanco Colio L, Munoz Garcia B, Ramos Mozo P, Ortega L, et al. Heat shock protein 90 inhibitors attenuate inflammatory responses in atherosclerosis. Cardiovasc Res. 2010;86:330-7 pubmed publisher..HSP90 inhibitors reduce inflammatory responses in atherosclerosis, suggesting that HSP90 could be a novel therapeutic target in atherosclerosis. ..
- Cuesta A, Chaves Pozo E, de las Heras A, Saint Jean S, Perez Prieto S, Tafalla C. An active DNA vaccine against infectious pancreatic necrosis virus (IPNV) with a different mode of action than fish rhabdovirus DNA vaccines. Vaccine. 2010;28:3291-300 pubmed publisher..The effectiveness of this new IPNV DNA vaccine and its possible mechanism of action are discussed and compared to other viral vaccines...
- Sabio G, Davis R. cJun NH2-terminal kinase 1 (JNK1): roles in metabolic regulation of insulin resistance. Trends Biochem Sci. 2010;35:490-6 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies establish JNK1 as a potential pharmacological target for the development of drugs that might be useful for the treatment of insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes. ..
- SÃ¡nchez D, Kassan M, Contreras M, CarrÃ³n R, Recio I, Montero M, et al. Long-term intake of a milk casein hydrolysate attenuates the development of hypertension and involves cardiovascular benefits. Pharmacol Res. 2011;63:398-404 pubmed publisher..These results warrant evaluation in humans to determine if the product based on a casein hydrolysate could be used as a functional food ingredient to prevent blood pressure increased with additional cardiovascular benefits. ..
- Monsalve M, Olmos Y. The complex biology of FOXO. Curr Drug Targets. 2011;12:1322-50 pubmed..In this review, we provide an overview of recent progress in the understanding of the modulation of FOXO activity and target specificity by transcription factors and coactivators. ..