Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on middle aged in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Locale: Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Topic: middle aged
Publications954 found, 100 shown here
- Burgos J, Falco V, Borrego A, Sordé R, Larrosa M, Martinez X, et al. Impact of the emergence of non-vaccine pneumococcal serotypes on the clinical presentation and outcome of adults with invasive pneumococcal pneumonia. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013;19:385-91 pubmed publisher..1; 95% CI, 0.01-0.78). In conclusion, the incidence of IPP in the post-vaccine period has increased in our setting, it is caused mainly by non-vaccine serotypes and it is associated with higher rates of septic shock. ..
- Cameirão M, Badia S, Duarte E, Frisoli A, Verschure P. The combined impact of virtual reality neurorehabilitation and its interfaces on upper extremity functional recovery in patients with chronic stroke. Stroke. 2012;43:2720-8 pubmed..Consequently, we do not exactly know what features of VR neurorehabilitation systems are decisive in conveying their beneficial effects...
- Espinal P, Maciá M, Roca I, Gato E, Ruiz E, Fernandez Cuenca F, et al. First report of an OXA-23 carbapenemase-producing Acinetobacter baumannii clinical isolate related to Tn2006 in Spain. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013;57:589-91 pubmed publisher..Genetic analysis showed the presence of the bla(OXA-23) gene in association with the widely disseminated transposon Tn2006. This is the first reported identification of A. baumannii carrying bla(OXA-23) in Spain. ..
- Compta Y, Pereira J, Rios J, Ibarretxe Bilbao N, Junque C, Bargallo N, et al. Combined dementia-risk biomarkers in Parkinson's disease: a prospective longitudinal study. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2013;19:717-24 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the combination of CSF amyloid-?, neuropsychological and cortical thickness biomarkers might provide a basis for dementia-risk stratification and progression monitoring in PD. ..
- LlorenÃ§ V, Mesquida M, Sainz De La Maza M, Blanco R, Calvo V, MaÃz O, et al. Certolizumab Pegol, a New Anti-TNF-Î± in the Armamentarium against Ocular Inflammation. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2016;24:167-72 pubmed publisher..68 to +0.45â€‰Â±â€‰0.68 (pâ€‰=â€‰0.032) at 1 month and to +0.44â€‰Â±â€‰0.64 (pâ€‰=â€‰0.035) at 6 months. No adverse events were found. CZP can be an effective alternative in refractory uveitis. ..
- Ortiz FernÃ¡ndez L, GarcÃa Lozano J, Montes Cano M, Conde JaldÃ³n M, Leo E, Ortego Centeno N, et al. Association of haplotypes of the TLR8 locus with susceptibility to Crohn's and BehÃ§et's diseases. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2015;33:S117-22 pubmed..Our results suggest a relationship between the TLR8 and the susceptibility to CD and BD. Nevertheless, these differences could not be imputed to the levels of expression. ..
- Font C, FernÃ¡ndez AvilÃ©s F, Calderon C, GarcÃa FernÃ¡ndez T, Arab N, Pineda E, et al. Home management of acute medical complications in cancer patients: a prospective pilot study. Support Care Cancer. 2016;24:2129-2137 pubmed publisher..Our findings support further development of innovative home-based clinical approaches to promote potentially avoidable hospitalization in this setting. ..
- Bayerdorffer E, Bigard M, Weiss W, Mearin F, Rodrigo L, Dominguez Muñoz J, et al. Randomized, multicenter study: on-demand versus continuous maintenance treatment with esomeprazole in patients with non-erosive gastroesophageal reflux disease. BMC Gastroenterol. 2016;16:48 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02670642 ; Date of registration: December 2015. ..
- Miravitlles M, Soriano J, GarcÃa RÃo F, MuÃ±oz L, Duran Tauleria E, Sanchez G, et al. Prevalence of COPD in Spain: impact of undiagnosed COPD on quality of life and daily life activities. Thorax. 2009;64:863-8 pubmed publisher..2% and increases with age, tobacco consumption and lower educational levels. The rate of diagnosised COPD is very high and undiagnosed individuals with COPD already have a significant impairment in HRQL and ADL. ..
- Portillo M, Salvado M, Trampuz A, Plasencia V, Rodriguez Villasante M, Sorlí L, et al. Sonication versus vortexing of implants for diagnosis of prosthetic joint infection. J Clin Microbiol. 2013;51:591-4 pubmed publisher..At a cutoff of ? 50 CFU/ml, sonication was more sensitive than vortexing (60% versus 40%, P = 0.151), while the specificity was 99% for both methods. ..
- Santaló M, Martín A, Velilla J, Povar J, Temboury F, Balaguer J, et al. Using high-sensitivity troponin T: the importance of the proper gold standard. Am J Med. 2013;126:709-17 pubmed publisher..When myocardial infarction is diagnosed using hscTnT 99th percentile values with a 20% change, more are identified, diagnosis is delayed, and the optimal value for use is reduced. ..
- Bellmunt Montoya S, Escribano J, Dilmé J, Martinez Zapata M. CHIVA method for the treatment of chronic venous insufficiency. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;:CD009648 pubmed publisher..New RCTs are needed to confirm these results and to compare CHIVA with approaches other than open surgery. ..
- Marrouche N, Wilber D, Hindricks G, Jais P, Akoum N, Marchlinski F, et al. Association of atrial tissue fibrosis identified by delayed enhancement MRI and atrial fibrillation catheter ablation: the DECAAF study. JAMA. 2014;311:498-506 pubmed publisher..The clinical implications of this association warrant further investigation. ..
- Merino Zamorano C, Delgado P, FernÃ¡ndez de Retana S, FernÃ¡ndez Cadenas I, RodrÃguez Luna D, Montaner J, et al. Identification of Plasma Biomarkers of Human Intracerebral Hemorrhage Subtypes through Microarray Technology. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2016;25:665-71 pubmed publisher..We did not, however, find any candidate biomarker that distinguished CAA-ICH from HTN-ICH. The role of GOLGA8A in this fatal disorder has yet to be determined. ..
- Nogues X, Servitja S, Peña M, Prieto Alhambra D, Nadal R, Mellibovsky L, et al. Vitamin D deficiency and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women receiving aromatase inhibitors for early breast cancer. Maturitas. 2010;66:291-7 pubmed publisher..Our results support the need for a routine assessment of 25(OH)D levels and, when necessary, supplementation in these patients. ..
- Passos M, Serra J, Azpiroz F, Tremolaterra F, Malagelada J. Impaired reflex control of intestinal gas transit in patients with abdominal bloating. Gut. 2005;54:344-8 pubmed..Furthermore, we have previously shown that intestinal gas transit is normally accelerated by rectal distension. We hypothesise that in patients with functional bloating this modulatory mechanism fails and impairs gas transit...
- Santamaria R, Chabas A, Coll M, Miranda C, Vilageliu L, Grinberg D. Twenty-one novel mutations in the GLB1 gene identified in a large group of GM1-gangliosidosis and Morquio B patients: possible common origin for the prevalent p.R59H mutation among gypsies. Hum Mutat. 2006;27:1060 pubmed..R59H mutation may be appropriate in GM1-gangliosidosis patients of Gypsy origin. This is the first exhaustive mutational analysis performed in a large group of Iberian GM1-gangliosidosis and Morquio B patients...
- Munoz J, Mirelis B, Aragón L, Gutierrez N, Sanchez F, Espanol M, et al. Clinical and microbiological features of nocardiosis 1997-2003. J Med Microbiol. 2007;56:545-50 pubmed..Accurate identification of the species and susceptibility testing of Nocardia isolates may play an important role in diagnosis and treatment...
- Mestres C, Castro M, Bernabeu E, Josa M, Cartañá R, Pomar J, et al. Preoperative risk stratification in infective endocarditis. Does the EuroSCORE model work? Preliminary results. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2007;32:281-5 pubmed..Logistic EuroSCORE has been calibrated in IE, a special group of very high-risk patients. Further studies with larger sample sizes are required to confirm these initial results. ..
- Martí Valeri C, Sabate A, Masdevall C, Dalmau A. Improvement of associated respiratory problems in morbidly obese patients after open Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2007;17:1102-10 pubmed..001). Weight loss after RYGBP improved arterial blood gases, respiratory tests and polysomnographic studies. CPAP treatment can be withdrawn in most patients. ..
- Grinyo J, Vanrenterghem Y, Nashan B, Vincenti F, Ekberg H, Lindpaintner K, et al. Association of four DNA polymorphisms with acute rejection after kidney transplantation. Transpl Int. 2008;21:879-91 pubmed publisher..Variation in genes of immune response and pharmacodynamic/pharmacokinetic relevance may be important in understanding acute rejection after renal transplant. ..
- Ramos Casals M, Solans R, Rosas J, Camps M, Gil A, del Pino Montes J, et al. Primary Sjögren syndrome in Spain: clinical and immunologic expression in 1010 patients. Medicine (Baltimore). 2008;87:210-9 pubmed publisher..Primary SS should be considered as a systemic autoimmune disease that can express in many guises beyond sicca involvement. ..
- Munoz M, Fito M, Marrugat J, Covas M, Schroder H. Adherence to the Mediterranean diet is associated with better mental and physical health. Br J Nutr. 2009;101:1821-7 pubmed publisher..Adherence to the Mediterranean diet was associated with higher scoring for self-perceived health. ..
- Gavin R, Ferrer I, Del Rio J. Involvement of Dab1 in APP processing and beta-amyloid deposition in sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob patients. Neurobiol Dis. 2010;37:324-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, the present observations suggest a correlation between Dab1 phosphorylation, Abeta deposition and PrP(sc) type in sCJD. ..
- Melgar Lesmes P, Casals G, Pauta M, Ros J, Reichenbach V, Bataller R, et al. Apelin mediates the induction of profibrogenic genes in human hepatic stellate cells. Endocrinology. 2010;151:5306-14 pubmed publisher..apelin mediates some of the fibrogenic effects triggered by AII and ET-1, thus suggesting that apelin could be an important mediator of fibrogenesis in human liver disease. ..
- Imaz A, Llibre J, Mora M, Mateo G, Camacho A, Blanco J, et al. Efficacy and safety of nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor-sparing salvage therapy for multidrug-resistant HIV-1 infection based on new-class and new-generation antiretrovirals. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011;66:358-62 pubmed publisher
- Campos Varela I, Castells L, Buti M, Vargas V, Bilbao I, Rodriguez Frias F, et al. Does pre-liver transplant HBV DNA level affect HBV recurrence or survival in liver transplant recipients receiving HBIg and nucleos(t)ide analogues?. Ann Hepatol. 2011;10:180-7 pubmed..2-147.2, P < 0.0001), but not with HBV-DNA levels. When prophylaxis with HBIg and antiviral agents was administered, survival and HBV recurrence were not influenced by HBV-DNA levels determined by real time-PCR prior to OLT. ..
- Rivas Garcia A, Sarria Estrada S, Torrents Odin C, Casas Gomila L, Franquet E. Imaging findings of Pott's disease. Eur Spine J. 2013;22 Suppl 4:567-78 pubmed publisher..In addition, we review retrospectively the radiological findings of 48 patients with tuberculous spondylitis treated from 1993 to 2010. There were 23 male and 25 female patients with a mean age of 53 years. ..
- Stokholm M, Iranzo A, Østergaard K, Serradell M, Otto M, Svendsen K, et al. Assessment of neuroinflammation in patients with idiopathic rapid-eye-movement sleep behaviour disorder: a case-control study. Lancet Neurol. 2017;16:789-796 pubmed publisher..Danish Council for Independent Research, Instituto de Salud Carlos III (Spain). ..
- Hernandez C, Casas A, Escarrabill J, Alonso J, Puig Junoy J, Farrero E, et al. Home hospitalisation of exacerbated chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients. Eur Respir J. 2003;21:58-67 pubmed..A comprehensive home care intervention in selected chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations appears as cost effective. The home hospitalisation intervention generates better outcomes at lower costs than conventional care. ..
- Leon X, Sancho F, Garcia J, Sanudo J, Orus C, Quer M. Incidence and significance of clinically unsuspected thyroid tissue in lymph nodes found during neck dissection in head and neck carcinoma patients. Laryngoscope. 2005;115:470-4 pubmed..The study results suggest that the incidental finding of thyroid tissue in the lymph nodes during a neck dissection in patients with head and neck carcinoma does not necessarily indicate the need for aggressive therapy. ..
- Marti Fabregas J, Borrell M, Cocho D, Belvis R, Castellanos M, Montaner J, et al. Hemostatic markers of recanalization in patients with ischemic stroke treated with rt-PA. Neurology. 2005;65:366-70 pubmed..81, 95% CI 0.72, 0.92, p = 0.001). Baseline levels of alpha2-antiplasmin were predictive of recanalization but were not related to the long-term outcome in patients treated with rt-PA within the first 3 hours. ..
- Selva O Callaghan A, Labrador Horrillo M, Solans Laque R, Simeon Aznar C, Martínez Gómez X, Vilardell Tarres M. Myositis-specific and myositis-associated antibodies in a series of eighty-eight Mediterranean patients with idiopathic inflammatory myopathy. Arthritis Rheum. 2006;55:791-8 pubmed..Autoantibody studies may be useful for defining more homogeneous groups of patients with idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. ..
- Fernandez J, Ruiz del Arbol L, Gomez C, Durandez R, Serradilla R, Guarner C, et al. Norfloxacin vs ceftriaxone in the prophylaxis of infections in patients with advanced cirrhosis and hemorrhage. Gastroenterology. 2006;131:1049-56; quiz 1285 pubmed..No difference in hospital mortality was observed between groups. Intravenous ceftriaxone is more effective than oral norfloxacin in the prophylaxis of bacterial infections in patients with advanced cirrhosis and hemorrhage. ..
- Fuster Torres M, Gargallo Albiol J, Berini Aytés L, Gay Escoda C. Evaluation of the indication for surgical extraction of third molars according to the oral surgeon and the primary care dentist. Experience in the Master of Oral Surgery and Implantology at Barcelona University Dental School. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2008;13:E499-504 pubmed..This order of frequency was seen to invert in the case of third molars referred for extraction by the PCD. A vertical position predominated among the third molars with associated pathology. ..
- Solans Laque R, Bosch Gil J, Molina Catenario C, Ortega Aznar A, Alvarez Sabin J, Vilardell Tarres M. Stroke and multi-infarct dementia as presenting symptoms of giant cell arteritis: report of 7 cases and review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore). 2008;87:335-44 pubmed publisher..Additional antiplatelet or anticoagulant therapy should be evaluated according to the individual risk and benefit to the patient under care. ..
- Serra J, Villoria A, Azpiroz F, Lobo B, Santos J, Accarino A, et al. Impaired intestinal gas propulsion in manometrically proven dysmotility and in irritable bowel syndrome. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2010;22:401-6, e91-2 pubmed publisher..Our aim was to determine whether, and to what extent, intestinal gas propulsion is impaired in patients with manometrically proven dysmotility compared with healthy controls and patients with IBS...
- Juanpere Rodero N, Martin Ezquerra G, Fernández Casado A, Magan Perea L, Garcia Alguacil M, Barranco Sanz C, et al. Cell and tissue interactions of Treponema pallidum in primary and secondary syphilitic skin lesions: an ultrastructural study of serial sections. Ultrastruct Pathol. 2013;37:36-42 pubmed publisher..In addition, the ultrastructural findings strongly suggest that Treponema pallidum subspecies pallidum invades tissues, not only through an intercellular, but also through a transcellular pathway...
- Vizcaya D, Mirabelli M, Orriols R, Anto J, Barreiro E, Burgos F, et al. Functional and biological characteristics of asthma in cleaning workers. Respir Med. 2013;107:673-83 pubmed publisher..Oxidative stress, altered lung permeability and eosinophilic inflammation are unlikely to play an important underlying role, although the latter may be affected by certain irritant cleaning exposures. ..
- Flix B, de la Torre C, Castillo J, Casal C, Illa I, Gallardo E. Dysferlin interacts with calsequestrin-1, myomesin-2 and dynein in human skeletal muscle. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2013;45:1927-38 pubmed publisher..This knowledge may help us to better understand the roles of dysferlin in muscle tissue and identify new genes involved in muscular dystrophies in which the responsible gene is unknown. ..
- de Buck van Overstraeten A, Vermeire S, Vanbeckevoort D, Rimola J, Ferrante M, Van Assche G, et al. Modified Side-To-Side Isoperistaltic Strictureplasty over the Ileocaecal Valve: An Alternative to Ileocaecal Resection in Extensive Terminal Ileal Crohn's Disease. J Crohns Colitis. 2016;10:437-42 pubmed publisher..Significant mucosal and bowel wall healing is observed and suggests that clearance of microbial stasis may play a role in this process. ..
- AntÃ³n A, Marcos M, Torner N, Isanta R, Camps M, MartÃnez A, et al. Virological surveillance of influenza and other respiratory viruses during six consecutive seasons from 2006 to 2012 in Catalonia, Spain. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2016;22:564.e1-9 pubmed publisher..A wide knowledge of the seasonality patterns of the RV in the general population is well-appreciated, but it is a challenge due to the unpredictable circulation of RV, highlighting the value of local and global RV surveillance. ..
- Langdon C, EnseÃ±at J, Rioja E, Jaume F, Berenguer J, Oleaga L, et al. Long-term radiological findings after endonasal endoscopic approach to the skull base. Am J Otolaryngol. 2016;37:103-7 pubmed publisher..6 Â± 30.9 and 22.5 Â± 27.5 respectively). We observed that sinus opacity is still present after one year of advance endoscopic skull base surgery but symptoms seems to return to basal after 12 months of follow-up. ..
- Gramunt N, Sánchez Benavides G, Buschke H, Diéguez Vide F, Pena Casanova J, Masramon X, et al. The Memory Binding Test: Development of Two Alternate Forms into Spanish and Catalan. J Alzheimers Dis. 2016;52:283-93 pubmed publisher..For such a test to be widely accessed and used, the availability of both alternate forms and language adaptations is required...
- Fortner R, Sarink D, Schock H, Johnson T, TjÃ¸nneland A, Olsen A, et al. Osteoprotegerin and breast cancer risk by hormone receptor subtype: a nested case-control study in the EPIC cohort. BMC Med. 2017;15:26 pubmed publisher..30). This study provides the first prospective data on OPG and breast cancer risk by hormone receptor subtype. High circulating OPG may represent a novel risk factor for ER- breast cancer. ..
- Hernandez Ojeda J, Arbelo E, Borràs R, Berne P, Tolosana J, Gomez Juanatey A, et al. Patients With Brugada Syndrome and Implanted Cardioverter-Defibrillators: Long-Term Follow-Up. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1991-2002 pubmed publisher..Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) indications for primary prevention in Brugada syndrome (BrS) are still debated...
- Nomdedeu J, Mateu R, Altes A, Llorente A, Rio C, Estivill C, et al. Enhanced myeloid specificity of CD117 compared with CD13 and CD33. Leuk Res. 1999;23:341-7 pubmed..The coexpression of CD117 with cytoplasmic CD79a is often associated with CD7 reactivity, suggesting a stem cell disorder. CD117 should be included on a routine basis for the immunophenotypic diagnosis of acute leukemias. ..
- Martino R, Gomez L, Pericas R, Salazar R, Sola C, Sierra J, et al. Bacteraemia caused by non-glucose-fermenting gram-negative bacilli and Aeromonas species in patients with haematological malignancies and solid tumours. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2000;19:320-3 pubmed..The most important predictors of catheter-related bacteraemia and its outcome were polymicrobial infection, the presence of pneumonia or septic syndrome and the species involved. ..
- Martinez Rodriguez J, Barriga F, Santamaria J, Iranzo A, Pareja J, Revilla M, et al. Nonconvulsive status epilepticus associated with cephalosporins in patients with renal failure. Am J Med. 2001;111:115-9 pubmed..The clinical picture is difficult to differentiate from a that of metabolic encephalopathy unless an EEG is obtained. Physicians should be aware of this potentially dangerous complication. ..
- Guix S, Caballero S, Villena C, Bartolome R, Latorre C, Rabella N, et al. Molecular epidemiology of astrovirus infection in Barcelona, Spain. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:133-9 pubmed..A fourth lineage was described for HAstV-1, most likely due to the large number of assayed samples, which may also explain the high level of genetic variability observed in the astrovirus isolates...
- Solans R, Bosch J, Selva A, Orriols R, Vilardell M. Montelukast and Churg-Strauss syndrome. Thorax. 2002;57:183-5 pubmed..In one case reduction in the dose of oral steroid preceded the onset of CSS. To our knowledge, no case of CSS relapse has previously been reported in association with leukotriene antagonists. ..
- Llort G, Muñoz C, Tuser M, Guillermo I, Lluch J, Bale A, et al. Low frequency of recurrent BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in Spain. Hum Mutat. 2002;19:307 pubmed..While several mutations have been found recurrently in Spain, none appear to be high frequency founder mutations based on studies of breast and ovarian cancer families. ..
- Serra J, Salvioli B, Azpiroz F, Malagelada J. Lipid-induced intestinal gas retention in irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2002;123:700-6 pubmed..Hence, impaired gas propulsion, shown by the gas challenge test, may be useful as a diagnostic test if replicated in a larger series of patients. ..
- Hidalgo A, Falco V, Mauleon S, Andreu J, Crespo M, Ribera E, et al. Accuracy of high-resolution CT in distinguishing between Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia and non- Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in AIDS patients. Eur Radiol. 2003;13:1179-84 pubmed..Its inclusion in the diagnostic algorithm of lung infections is justified in these patients. ..
- Rosel P, Arranz B, Urretavizcaya M, Oros M, San L, Navarro M. Altered 5-HT2A and 5-HT4 postsynaptic receptors and their intracellular signalling systems IP3 and cAMP in brains from depressed violent suicide victims. Neuropsychobiology. 2004;49:189-95 pubmed..Further studies on suicidality and depression should focus on the functionality of the caudate nucleus. ..
- Gris O, Güell J, Wolley Dod C, Adan A. Diffuse lamellar keratitis and corneal edema associated with viral keratoconjunctivitis 2 years after laser in situ keratomileusis. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2004;30:1366-70 pubmed..Early diagnosis and treatment with topical corticosteroids can achieve complete resolution without visual loss...
- Queral Godoy E, Valmaseda Castellón E, Berini Aytés L, Gay Escoda C. Incidence and evolution of inferior alveolar nerve lesions following lower third molar extraction. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005;99:259-64 pubmed..Older patients are at an increased risk of incomplete recovery of chin and lip sensibility after third molar extraction. ..
- Leon X, Hitt R, Constenla M, Rocca A, Stupp R, Kovacs A, et al. A retrospective analysis of the outcome of patients with recurrent and/or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck refractory to a platinum-based chemotherapy. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2005;17:418-24 pubmed..In an effort to generate such data, this retrospective study analysed clinical records from 151 patients with SCCHN refractory to platinum-based chemotherapy treated between 1990 and 2000 at seven different centres around Europe...
- De Roux A, Cavalcanti M, Marcos M, Garcia E, Ewig S, Mensa J, et al. Impact of alcohol abuse in the etiology and severity of community-acquired pneumonia. Chest. 2006;129:1219-25 pubmed..Current alcohol abuse was associated with severe CAP. No significant differences were found in mortality, antibiotic resistance of S pneumoniae, and other etiologies. ..
- Rosell A, Ortega Aznar A, Alvarez Sabin J, Fernandez Cadenas I, Ribo M, Molina C, et al. Increased brain expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 after ischemic and hemorrhagic human stroke. Stroke. 2006;37:1399-406 pubmed..Our results demonstrate in situ higher levels of MMP-9 in human brain tissue after ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke, suggesting a contribution of MMP-9 to ischemic brain injury and perihematoma edema. ..
- Colmenero J, Bataller R, Sancho Bru P, Bellot P, Miquel R, Moreno M, et al. Hepatic expression of candidate genes in patients with alcoholic hepatitis: correlation with disease severity. Gastroenterology. 2007;132:687-97 pubmed..Some candidate genes correlate with histologic findings and disease severity, suggesting that they may be potential targets for therapy. ..
- Canete J, Arostegui J, Queiro R, Gratacos J, Hernández M, Larrosa M, et al. An unexpectedly high frequency of MEFV mutations in patients with anti-citrullinated protein antibody-negative palindromic rheumatism. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:2784-8 pubmed..This supports the hypothesis that it might be a susceptibility gene. Our findings also support the hypothesis that the MEFV gene might participate in the pathogenesis of other undifferentiated relapsing inflammatory rheumatic disorders. ..
- Navarro A, Diaz T, Gallardo E, Viñolas N, Marrades R, Gel B, et al. Prognostic implications of miR-16 expression levels in resected non-small-cell lung cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2011;103:411-5 pubmed publisher..001) and OS (<0.001). Our results provide the first hints that miR-16 levels in tumor samples may be a prognostic marker in NSCLC. ..
- Damasceno N, Pérez Heras A, Serra M, Cofan M, Sala Vila A, Salas Salvado J, et al. Crossover study of diets enriched with virgin olive oil, walnuts or almonds. Effects on lipids and other cardiovascular risk markers. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2011;21 Suppl 1:S14-20 pubmed publisher..We designed a study in hypercholesterolemic patients to assess the effects on serum lipids and other intermediate markers of cardiovascular risk of replacing 40% of the fat in the background diet with VOO, walnuts or almonds...
- Canovas D, Gil A, Jato M, de Miquel M, Rubio F. Clinical outcome of spontaneous non-aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage in 108 patients. Eur J Neurol. 2012;19:457-61 pubmed publisher..Patients with non-aneurysmal SAH with an aneurysmal pattern of bleeding have more complications, and the initial clinical situation has a significant impact on their prognosis. ..
- Valls Pedret C, Lamuela Raventós R, Medina Remón A, Quintana M, Corella D, Pintó X, et al. Polyphenol-rich foods in the Mediterranean diet are associated with better cognitive function in elderly subjects at high cardiovascular risk. J Alzheimers Dis. 2012;29:773-82 pubmed publisher..The results reinforce the notion that Mediterranean diet components might counteract age-related cognitive decline. ..
- Mena G, Sequera V, Nogué Xarau S, Rios J, Bertran M, Trilla A. [Translation and cross-cultural adaptation of the Quick Environmental Exposure and Sensitivity Inventory for use in the Spanish population]. Med Clin (Barc). 2013;140:302-4 pubmed publisher..To perform the translation and cross-cultural adaptation of the Quick Environmental Exposure and Sensitivity Inventory (QEESI) for the Spanish population...
- Villarejo C, JimÃ©nez Murcia S, Ãlvarez Moya E, Granero R, Penelo E, Treasure J, et al. Loss of control over eating: a description of the eating disorder/obesity spectrum in women. Eur Eat Disord Rev. 2014;22:25-31 pubmed publisher..The presence of binge and purge symptomatology in obese patients is clinically relevant. These findings help to understand the relationship between Obesity and ED. ..
- Moskowitz C, Nademanee A, Masszi T, Agura E, Holowiecki J, Abidi M, et al. Brentuximab vedotin as consolidation therapy after autologous stem-cell transplantation in patients with Hodgkin's lymphoma at risk of relapse or progression (AETHERA): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2015;385:1853-62 pubmed publisher..This treatment provides an important therapeutic option for patients undergoing autologous stem-cell transplantation. Seattle Genetics and Takeda Pharmaceuticals International. ..
- Alvarez Lerma F, Insausti Ordeñana J, Jordà Marcos R, Maravi Poma E, Torres Marti A, Nava J, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of piperacillin/tazobactam versus ceftazidime in association with amikacin for treating nosocomial pneumonia in intensive care patients: a prospective randomized multicenter trial. Intensive Care Med. 2001;27:493-502 pubmed..08-13.37). Amikacin associated with either ceftazidime or piperacillin and tazobactam has shown comparable efficacy and tolerability in the treatment of ICU patients with nosocomial pneumonia. ..
- Rodriguez F, Jardi R, Costa X, Juan D, Galimany R, Vidal R, et al. Detection of polymorphisms at exons 3 (Tyr113-->His) and 4 (His139-->Arg) of the microsomal epoxide hydrolase gene using fluorescence PCR method combined with melting curves analysis. Anal Biochem. 2002;308:120-6 pubmed..These high-speed (about 40 min for 32 samples), highly sensitive, and specific small-volume assays with low labor requirements hold great promise as tools for rapid detection of COPD susceptibility. ..
- Mendieta C, Miranda J, Brunet L, Gargallo J, Berini L. Alveolar bone necrosis and tooth exfoliation following herpes zoster infection: a review of the literature and case report. J Periodontol. 2005;76:148-53 pubmed..Extensive osteonecrosis and exfoliation of teeth in the area innervated by the nerve affected by HZ has been reported after HZ infection. Clinicians should be aware of this possible outcome after a trigeminal HZ infection. ..
- Puig S, Malvehy J, Badenas C, Ruiz A, Jimenez D, Cuellar F, et al. Role of the CDKN2A locus in patients with multiple primary melanomas. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:3043-51 pubmed
- Ferre N, Marsillach J, Camps J, Rull A, Coll B, Tous M, et al. Genetic association of paraoxonase-1 polymorphisms and chronic hepatitis C virus infection. Clin Chim Acta. 2005;361:206-10 pubmed..5 (246.2-479.8) vs. 115.4 (95.7-172.3) mumol/L; P<0.001]. The present study suggests that the paraoxonase-1 192 polymorphism contributes, together with other polymorphisms, to the variations in the host response to HCV infection. ..
- Montagut C, Tusquets I, Ferrer B, Corominas J, Bellosillo B, Campas C, et al. Activation of nuclear factor-kappa B is linked to resistance to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2006;13:607-16 pubmed..These novel clinical findings strengthen the rationale for the use of NF-kappaB inhibitors to prevent or overcome chemoresistance in breast cancer. ..
- Kaplan Marcusan A, Torán Monserrat P, Moreno Navarro J, Castany Fàbregas M, Muñoz Ortiz L. Perception of primary health professionals about female genital mutilation: from healthcare to intercultural competence. BMC Health Serv Res. 2009;9:11 pubmed publisher..Preventive measures should be designed as should sensitization to promote stands against these practices. ..
- Bodri D, Guillén J, Lopez M, Vernaeve V, Coll O. Racial disparity in oocyte donation outcome: a multiethnic, matched cohort study. Hum Reprod. 2010;25:436-42 pubmed publisher..Although yellow race does not seem to adversely affect oocyte donation, larger studies are still warranted to draw more solid conclusions. Race should be considered as an independent prognostic factor in oocyte donation. ..
- Piñana J, Valcarcel D, Fernandez Aviles F, Martino R, Rovira M, Barba P, et al. MTX or mycophenolate mofetil with CsA as GVHD prophylaxis after reduced-intensity conditioning PBSCT from HLA-identical siblings. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2010;45:1449-56 pubmed publisher..3 and 52 vs 51%, P=0.7, respectively). Our results support further prospective studies comparing the use of the CsA/MMF combination with CsA/MTX as GVHD prophylaxis in HLA-identical sibling donor allo-RIC recipients. ..
- Cortes J, Vahdat L, Blum J, Twelves C, Campone M, Roche H, et al. Phase II study of the halichondrin B analog eribulin mesylate in patients with locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer previously treated with an anthracycline, a taxane, and capecitabine. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:3922-8 pubmed publisher..9% of patients (no grade 4). Eribulin demonstrated antitumor activity in extensively pretreated patients who had previously received an anthracycline, taxane, and capecitabine, with a manageable tolerability profile. ..
- Ribe A, Ribé N. Neck skin rejuvenation: histological and clinical changes after combined therapy with a fractional non-ablative laser and stabilized hyaluronic acid-based gel of non-animal origin. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2011;13:154-61 pubmed publisher..The LA produced epidermal and superficial dermal changes whereas RVL acted deeper, together treating the full skin thickness. ..
- Fernandez J, Acevedo J, Castro M, Garcia O, de Lope C, Roca D, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of infections by multiresistant bacteria in cirrhosis: a prospective study. Hepatology. 2012;55:1551-61 pubmed publisher..New antibiotic strategies tailored according to the local epidemiological patterns are needed for the empirical treatment of nosocomial infections in cirrhosis. ..
- Salerni G, Carrera C, Lovatto L, Martí Laborda R, Isern G, Palou J, et al. Characterization of 1152 lesions excised over 10 years using total-body photography and digital dermatoscopy in the surveillance of patients at high risk for melanoma. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012;67:836-45 pubmed publisher..Almost 40% of melanomas diagnosed in individuals at high risk corresponded to lesions that were not under dermatoscopic surveillance. ..
- Martí J, Fuster J, Solà A, Hotter G, Molina R, Pelegrina A, et al. Prognostic value of serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin in metastatic and nonmetastatic colorectal cancer. World J Surg. 2013;37:1103-9 pubmed publisher..High-pNGAL levels are associated with higher neoplastic tissue volume, characteristics of neoplastic invasion, and recurrence, showing a prognostic utility mainly in metastatic CRC patients. ..
- Genovés J, Alameda F, Mancebo G, Sole J, Bellosillo B, Lloveras B, et al. Human papillomavirus detection and p16INK4a expression in cervical lesions: a comparative study. Hum Pathol. 2014;45:826-33 pubmed publisher..We conclude that p16 negativity in CIN-I and CIN-II biopsies does not always imply regression of the lesion and that the diagnosis of CIN-II should not be based solely on p16 results. ..
- Vila Corcoles A, Ansa X, Ochoa Gondar O, Satue E, de Diego C, Rodriguez Blanco T. Pneumococcal pneumonia in adults 60 years or older: Incidence, mortality and prevention. Med Clin (Barc). 2016;146:199-202 pubmed publisher..The burden of pneumococcal pneumonia remains considerable (especially among oldest people and nursing-home residents) despite a publicly funded anti-pneumococcal vaccination program operative for several years. ..
- Iacoponi S, Zalewski K, Fruscio R, Diaz De la Noval B, De Iaco P, Ceccaroni M, et al. Prognostic factors for recurrence and survival among patients with invasive vulvar Paget disease included in the VULCAN study. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2016;133:76-9 pubmed publisher..Distant recurrences were associated with tumor size and FIGO stage. It is possible that adjuvant radiotherapy or chemotherapy could offer patients benefits by increasing overall survival rates. ..
- MiÃ±ambres I, Mediavilla J, Sarroca J, PÃ©rez A. Meeting individualized glycemic targets in primary care patients with type 2 diabetes in Spain. BMC Endocr Disord. 2016;16:10 pubmed publisher..The proposed HYPO strategy identifies a similar proportion of patients that achieve adequate glycemic control than ADA/EASD or SED strategies, but its concordance with these strategies in terms of patient classification is bad. ..