Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Santander, Cantabria, Spain
Locale: Santander, Cantabria, Spain
- Montalvo C, Villar A, Merino D, Garcia R, Ares M, Llano M, et al. Androgens contribute to sex differences in myocardial remodeling under pressure overload by a mechanism involving TGF-?. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35635 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that circulating androgens are responsible for the detrimental effects in the myocardium of older male mice subjected to pressure overload through a mechanism involving TGF-?s. ..
- Rueda N, Flórez J, Martinez Cue C. Effects of chronic administration of SGS-111 during adulthood and during the pre- and post-natal periods on the cognitive deficits of Ts65Dn mice, a model of Down syndrome. Behav Brain Res. 2008;188:355-67 pubmed publisher..Chronic SGS-111 administration failed to affect behavior and cognition in Ts65Dn mice. ..
- Pipaon C, Gutierrez P, Montero J, Lorenzo M, Eguiraun A, de la Fuente J, et al. Mitogen-activated protein kinase routes as targets in the action of diaza-anthracene compounds with a potent growth-inhibitory effect on cancer cells. Mol Cancer Ther. 2002;1:811-9 pubmed
- Montero J, Giron B, Arrechedera H, Cheng Y, Scotting P, Chimal Monroy J, et al. Expression of Sox8, Sox9 and Sox10 in the developing valves and autonomic nerves of the embryonic heart. Mech Dev. 2002;118:199-202 pubmed..Sox10 appears also as a specific marker of developing heart nerves. These findings fit with the occurrence of morphological and functional anomalies of the heart reported in humans deficient for Sox9 and Sox10. ..
- Martin Blanco N, JimÃ©nez Teja D, Bretones G, Borroto A, Caraballo M, Screpanti I, et al. CD3Îµ recruits Numb to promote TCR degradation. Int Immunol. 2016;28:127-37 pubmed publisher..As a result, Cbl couples specifically to the CD3Îµ chain to mediate TCR degradation. The present study unveils a novel role of Numb that lies at the heart of TCR signaling initiation and termination. ..
- Valero D, Montes J, Rico J, Rico C. Influence of headspace pressure on methane production in Biochemical Methane Potential (BMP) tests. Waste Manag. 2016;48:193-198 pubmed publisher..With the analyses performed in the present work it has not been possible to determine the reasons for the lower methane yield value obtained for the waste coffee grounds under high headspace pressures. ..
- Fanarraga M, Parraga M, Aloria K, del Mazo J, Avila J, Zabala J. Regulated expression of p14 (cofactor A) during spermatogenesis. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 1999;43:243-54 pubmed..As seen for other chaperones, p14 could also serve as a route to lead excess beta-tubulin or replaced isotypes towards degradation. ..
- Gonzalez A, Martinez Campa C, Mediavilla M, Alonso Gonzalez C, Sanchez Barcelo E, Cos S. Inhibitory effects of pharmacological doses of melatonin on aromatase activity and expression in rat glioma cells. Br J Cancer. 2007;97:755-60 pubmed..By analogy to the implications of aromatase in other forms of oestrogen-sensitive tumours, it is conceivable that the modulation of the aromatase by pharmacological melatonin may play a role in the growth of glioblastomas. ..
- Vidal R, Valdizan E, Vilaró M, Pazos A, Castro E. Reduced signal transduction by 5-HT4 receptors after long-term venlafaxine treatment in rats. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;161:695-706 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate a functional desensitization of 5-HT(4) receptors after chronic venlafaxine, similar to that observed after treatment with the classical selective inhibitors of 5-HT reuptake. ..
- Lorda Diez C, Montero J, Garcia Porrero J, Hurle J. Tgfbeta2 and 3 are coexpressed with their extracellular regulator Ltbp1 in the early limb bud and modulate mesodermal outgrowth and BMP signaling in chicken embryos. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:69 pubmed publisher..We propose the occurrence of an interplay between Tgfbeta and BMP signaling functionally associated with the regulation of early limb outgrowth by modulating limb mesenchymal cell proliferation. ..
- Albajar M, Gutierrez P, Richard C, Rosa Garrido M, Gomez Casares M, Steegmann J, et al. PU.1 expression is restored upon treatment of chronic myeloid leukemia patients. Cancer Lett. 2008;270:328-36 pubmed publisher..These effects are not found in patients with other myeloproliferative diseases such as polycythemia vera or essential thrombocythemia. PU.1 could, therefore, be used as an additional marker of the response to the treatment of the CML. ..
- Casafont I, Berciano M, Lafarga M. Bortezomib induces the formation of nuclear poly(A) RNA granules enriched in Sam68 and PABPN1 in sensory ganglia neurons. Neurotox Res. 2010;17:167-78 pubmed publisher..They also support that this neuronal dysfunction is an essential pathogenic mechanism in the BIPN, which is characterized by sensory impairment including sensory ataxia. ..
- Casar B, Rodriguez J, Gibor G, Seger R, Crespo P. Mxi2 sustains ERK1/2 phosphorylation in the nucleus by preventing ERK1/2 binding to phosphatases. Biochem J. 2012;441:571-8 pubmed publisher..These results highlight Mxi2 as a key spatial regulator of ERK1/2 functions, playing a pivotal role in the balance between ERK1/2 nuclear and cytoplasmic signals. ..
- Lantero A, Tramullas M, Diaz A, Hurlé M. Transforming growth factor-? in normal nociceptive processing and pathological pain models. Mol Neurobiol. 2012;45:76-86 pubmed publisher..Moreover, specific members of the TGF-? family and their signaling effectors and modulator molecules may be promising molecular targets for novel therapeutic agents for pain management. ..
- Del Cerro Vadillo E, Madrazo Toca F, Carrasco Marin E, Fernandez Prieto L, Beck C, Leyva Cobián F, et al. Cutting edge: a novel nonoxidative phagosomal mechanism exerted by cathepsin-D controls Listeria monocytogenes intracellular growth. J Immunol. 2006;176:1321-5 pubmed..Based on infection experiments with mutant bacteria, in vitro degradation, and immunoprecipitation experiments, we suggest that a major target of cathepsin D is the main virulence factor listeriolysin O. ..
- de los RÃos A, PÃ©rez L, Echavarri Erasun B, Serrano T, Barbero M, Ortiz Zarragoitia M, et al. Measuring biological responses at different levels of organisation to assess the effects of diffuse contamination derived from harbour and industrial activities in estuarine areas. Mar Pollut Bull. 2016;103:301-312 pubmed publisher..Overall, selected biological measurements showed potential for the assessment of diffuse contamination. ..
- Navas J, Gonzalez Zorn B, Ladrón N, Garrido P, Vazquez Boland J. Identification and mutagenesis by allelic exchange of choE, encoding a cholesterol oxidase from the intracellular pathogen Rhodococcus equi. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:4796-805 pubmed..equi. The highly efficient targeted mutagenesis procedure that we used to generate choE isogenic mutants will be a valuable tool for the molecular analysis of R. equi virulence. ..
- Díaz Mendoza M, Lorda Diez C, Montero J, Garcia Porrero J, Hurle J. Interdigital cell death in the embryonic limb is associated with depletion of Reelin in the extracellular matrix. Cell Death Dis. 2013;4:e800 pubmed publisher..Our findings support that Reelin plays a role in interdigital cell death, and suggests that anoikis (apoptosis secondary to loss of cell adhesion) may be involved in this process. ..
- Castro M, Diaz A, Del Olmo E, Pazos A. Chronic fluoxetine induces opposite changes in G protein coupling at pre and postsynaptic 5-HT1A receptors in rat brain. Neuropharmacology. 2003;44:93-101 pubmed..These differential adaptive changes in brain 5-HT(1A) receptors could underlie the mechanism of action of antidepressants and also contribute to their clinical effects. ..
- González Prieto C, Agúndez L, LINDEN R, Llosa M. HUH site-specific recombinases for targeted modification of the human genome. Trends Biotechnol. 2013;31:305-12 pubmed publisher..Bacterial protein TrwC catalyzes integration into human sequences and can be delivered to human cells covalently linked to DNA, offering attractive new features for targeted genome modification. ..
- Remuzgo Martínez S, Aranzamendi Zaldunbide M, Pilares Ortega L, Icardo J, Acosta F, Martinez Martinez L, et al. Interaction of macrophages with a cytotoxic Serratia liquefaciens human isolate. Microbes Infect. 2013;15:480-90 pubmed publisher..liquefaciens. These results likely have important implications for understanding Serratia pathogenesis and host response to infection...
- Sheth R, Marcon L, Bastida M, Junco M, Quintana L, DAHN R, et al. Hox genes regulate digit patterning by controlling the wavelength of a Turing-type mechanism. Science. 2012;338:1476-80 pubmed publisher..The phenotypic similarity with fish-fin endoskeleton patterns suggests that the pentadactyl state has been achieved through modification of an ancestral Turing-type mechanism. ..
- Bastida M, Delgado M, Wang B, Fallon J, Fernandez Teran M, Ros M. Levels of Gli3 repressor correlate with Bmp4 expression and apoptosis during limb development. Dev Dyn. 2004;231:148-60 pubmed..Our analysis adds new insights into the way Shh differentially controls the processing of Gli3 and how, subsequently, BMP4 expression may mediate cell survival or cell death in the developing limb bud in a position-dependent manner. ..
- Serrano A, Sanchez F, Preciado I, Parra S, Frutos I. Spatial and temporal changes in benthic communities of the Galician continental shelf after the Prestige oil spill. Mar Pollut Bull. 2006;53:315-31 pubmed..Non-macroscopic toxicity and some oceanographic agents are suggested as possible causes of these shifts. ..
- Sanchez E, Casafont F, Guerra A, de Benito I, Pons Romero F. Role of intestinal bacterial overgrowth and intestinal motility in bacterial translocation in experimental cirrhosis. Rev Esp Enferm Dig. 2005;97:805-14 pubmed..Impaired motility of the small intestine is a common feature in cirrhosis and may be implicated in the pathogenesis of IBO. ..
- Arozarena I, Matallanas D, Berciano M, Sanz Moreno V, Calvo F, Muñoz M, et al. Activation of H-Ras in the endoplasmic reticulum by the RasGRF family guanine nucleotide exchange factors. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:1516-30 pubmed..Overall, our results provide the initial insights into the regulation of H-Ras activation in the endoplasmic reticulum. ..
- Postigo J, Genre F, Iglesias M, Fernández Rey M, Buelta L, Carlos Rodríguez Rey J, et al. Exacerbation of type II collagen-induced arthritis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice in association with the expansion of Th1 and Th17 cells. Arthritis Rheum. 2011;63:971-80 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that a deficiency in apolipoprotein E and/or its consequences in cholesterol metabolism act as accelerating factors in autoimmunity by promoting Th1 and Th17 inflammatory responses. ..
- Rosa Garrido M, Ceballos L, Alonso Lecue P, Abraira C, Delgado M, Gandarillas A. A cell cycle role for the epigenetic factor CTCF-L/BORIS. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39371 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, down-regulation of endogenous BORIS by specific shRNAs inhibited both RNA transcription and cell cycle progression. The results altogether suggest a role for BORIS in coordinating S phase events with mitosis...
- Rueda N, Llorens Martín M, Flórez J, Valdizán E, Banerjee P, Trejo J, et al. Memantine normalizes several phenotypic features in the Ts65Dn mouse model of Down syndrome. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010;21:277-90 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that memantine may normalize several phenotypic abnormalities in TS mice, many of which--such as impaired cognition--are also associated with Down syndrome and Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Tramullas M, Lantero A, Diaz A, Morchón N, Merino D, Villar A, et al. BAMBI (bone morphogenetic protein and activin membrane-bound inhibitor) reveals the involvement of the transforming growth factor-beta family in pain modulation. J Neurosci. 2010;30:1502-11 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify TGF-beta family members as modulators of acute and chronic pain perception through the transcriptional regulation of genes encoding the endogenous opioids. ..
- Montero J, Hurle J. Sculpturing digit shape by cell death. Apoptosis. 2010;15:365-75 pubmed publisher..Here we discuss what is known about physiological cell death in the developing interdigital tissue of vertebrate embryos, paying special attention to the avian species. ..
- Calvo F, Crespo P. Structural and spatial determinants regulating TC21 activation by RasGRF family nucleotide exchange factors. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:4289-302 pubmed publisher..Finally, our data indicate that Cdc42-GDP can inhibit TC21 activation by RasGRF GEFs, demonstrating that Cdc42 negatively affects the functions of RasGRF GEFs irrespective of the GTPase being targeted. ..
- Mediavilla M, Güezmez A, Ramos S, Kothari L, Garijo F, Sanchez Barcelo E. Effects of melatonin on mammary gland lesions in transgenic mice overexpressing N-ras proto-oncogene. J Pineal Res. 1997;22:86-94 pubmed
- Zuzarte Luis V, Montero J, Kawakami Y, Izpisua Belmonte J, Hurle J. Lysosomal cathepsins in embryonic programmed cell death. Dev Biol. 2007;301:205-17 pubmed..It is concluded that lysosomal enzymes are functionally implicated in embryonic programmed cell death. ..
- Casafont I, Bengoechea R, Navascues J, Pena E, Berciano M, Lafarga M. The giant fibrillar center: a nucleolar structure enriched in upstream binding factor (UBF) that appears in transcriptionally more active sensory ganglia neurons. J Struct Biol. 2007;159:451-61 pubmed..We suggest that the formation of GFCs is associated with a high rate of ribosome biogenesis of the transcriptionally more active large-size neurons. ..
- Sanz C, Mellstrom B, Link W, Naranjo J, Fernandez Luna J. Interleukin 3-dependent activation of DREAM is involved in transcriptional silencing of the apoptotic Hrk gene in hematopoietic progenitor cells. EMBO J. 2001;20:2286-92 pubmed
- Casafont I, Bengoechea R, Tapia O, Berciano M, Lafarga M. TDP-43 localizes in mRNA transcription and processing sites in mammalian neurons. J Struct Biol. 2009;167:235-41 pubmed publisher..The specific localization of TDP-43 in active sites of transcription and cotranscriptional splicing is consistent with biochemical data indicating a role of TDP-43 in the regulation of transcription and alternative splicing. ..
- Fernandez Lopez R, Garcillán Barcia M, Revilla C, Lazaro M, Vielva L, de la Cruz F. Dynamics of the IncW genetic backbone imply general trends in conjugative plasmid evolution. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2006;30:942-66 pubmed..Starting from the phage paradigm, our analysis articulates novel concepts that apply to plasmid evolution. ..
- Bastida M, Sheth R, Ros M. A BMP-Shh negative-feedback loop restricts Shh expression during limb development. Development. 2009;136:3779-89 pubmed publisher..Our study emphasizes the intricacy of the crosstalk between the major signaling pathways in the posterior limb bud. ..
- Lizio M, Deviatiiarov R, Nagai H, Galán L, Arner E, Itoh M, et al. Systematic analysis of transcription start sites in avian development. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2002887 pubmed publisher..By facilitating promoter-based molecular analysis and genetic manipulation, our work also underscores the value of avian models in unravelling the complex regulatory mechanism of cell lineage specification during amniote development. ..
- Ceballos E, Munoz Alonso M, Berwanger B, Acosta J, Hernandez R, Krause M, et al. Inhibitory effect of c-Myc on p53-induced apoptosis in leukemia cells. Microarray analysis reveals defective induction of p53 target genes and upregulation of chaperone genes. Oncogene. 2005;24:4559-71 pubmed..Our data suggest that elevated levels of Myc counteract p53 activity in human tumor cells that lack ARF. This mechanism could contribute to explain the c-Myc deregulation frequently found in cancer. ..
- Campo Esquisabel A, Ledesma Castaño F, Salesa Gutiérrez de Rozas R. [Asymptomatic eosinophilia in an African immigrant]. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2007;25:63 pubmed
- Gonzalez A, Martinez Campa C, Mediavilla M, Alonso Gonzalez C, Alvarez García V, Sánchez Barceló E, et al. Inhibitory effects of melatonin on sulfatase and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity and expression in glioma cells. Oncol Rep. 2010;23:1173-8 pubmed..By analogy to the implications of these enzymes in other forms of estrogen-sensitive tumors, it is conceivable that their modulation by melatonin may play a role in the growth of glioblastomas. ..
- Montero J, Lorda Diez C, Gañan Y, Macias D, Hurle J. Activin/TGFbeta and BMP crosstalk determines digit chondrogenesis. Dev Biol. 2008;321:343-56 pubmed publisher..The presence of the DC is transitorily dependent of the adjacent posterior interdigit and its maintenance requires also the integrity of the AER. ..
- Villagra N, Bengoechea R, Vaque J, Llorca J, Berciano M, Lafarga M. Nuclear compartmentalization and dynamics of the poly(A)-binding protein nuclear 1 (PABPN1) inclusions in supraoptic neurons under physiological and osmotic stress conditions. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;37:622-33 pubmed publisher..Our results support that the RNA retained in the PABPN1 inclusions is a noncoding regulatory RNA involved in some aspects of nuclear RNA metabolism. ..
- Sanz V, Arozarena I, Crespo P. Distinct carboxy-termini confer divergent characteristics to the mitogen-activated protein kinase p38alpha and its splice isoform Mxi2. FEBS Lett. 2000;474:169-74 pubmed..Interestingly, we show that the p38 C-terminus is involved in conferring sensitivity to this compound. Overall, our results point to the p38 carboxy-terminus as a key determinant of the biochemical properties of this family of kinases. ..
- Rosal Vela A, Barroso A, GimÃ©nez E, GarcÃa RodrÃguez S, Longobardo V, Postigo J, et al. Identification of multiple transferrin species in the spleen and serum from mice with collagen-induced arthritis which may reflect changes in transferrin glycosylation associated with disease activity: The role of CD38. J Proteomics. 2016;134:127-137 pubmed publisher..e.: joints), or in specific compartments such as exosomes/microvesicles, which are highly enriched in Tf receptors. ..
- Gutierrez O, Berciano M, Lafarga M, Fernandez Luna J. A novel pathway of TEF regulation mediated by microRNA-125b contributes to the control of actin distribution and cell shape in fibroblasts. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e17169 pubmed publisher..These findings provide the first evidence of TEF regulation, through a miR-125b-mediated pathway, and describes a novel role of TEF in the maintenance of cell shape in fibroblasts. ..
- Lorda Diez C, Torre Pérez N, Garcia Porrero J, Hurle J, Montero J. Expression of Id2 in the developing limb is associated with zones of active BMP signaling and marks the regions of growth and differentiation of the developing digits. Int J Dev Biol. 2009;53:1495-502 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Id2 is a molecular mediator of BMP signaling acting in concert with the TGFbeta pathway during the formation of the digits. ..
- Sanz Moreno V, Casar B, Crespo P. p38alpha isoform Mxi2 binds to extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1 and 2 mitogen-activated protein kinase and regulates its nuclear activity by sustaining its phosphorylation levels. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:3079-90 pubmed..Overall, our findings point to Mxi2 as a unique member of the p38 family that may have an unprecedented role in the regulation of the functions of ERK mitogen-activated protein kinases. ..
- Berciano M, Fernandez R, Pena E, Calle E, Villagra N, Rodriguez Rey J, et al. Formation of intranuclear crystalloids and proliferation of the smooth endoplasmic reticulum in schwann cells induced by tellurium treatment: association with overexpression of HMG CoA reductase and HMG CoA synthase mRNA. Glia. 2000;29:246-59 pubmed..While the physiological meaning of crystalloid remains to be clarified, the hypertrophy of the smooth ER may represent a cytoprotective mechanism involved in detoxification of the neurotoxic agent or its metabolic derivates. ..
- Acosta J, Ferrandiz N, Bretones G, Torrano V, Blanco R, Richard C, et al. Myc inhibits p27-induced erythroid differentiation of leukemia cells by repressing erythroid master genes without reversing p27-mediated cell cycle arrest. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:7286-95 pubmed publisher..Our results support the hypothesis that differentiation inhibition is an important Myc tumorigenic mechanism that is independent of cell proliferation. ..
- Fanarraga M, Carranza G, Castaño R, Nolasco S, Avila J, Zabala J. Nondenaturing electrophoresis as a tool to investigate tubulin complexes. Methods Cell Biol. 2010;95:59-75 pubmed publisher..We present a series of detailed protocols that can be used to analyze the maturation of alpha- and beta-tubulins and to identify the complexes formed during the folding and dimerization pathway as well as their stability. ..
- Martin Millan M, Castañeda S. Estrogens, osteoarthritis and inflammation. Joint Bone Spine. 2013;80:368-73 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will analyze the effects of estrogens on certain pathological situations such as osteoarthritis, some autoimmune diseases and coronary heart disease, especially in postmenopausal women. ..
- Garrido Allepuz C, González Lamuño D, Ros M. Sirenomelia phenotype in bmp7;shh compound mutants: a novel experimental model for studies of caudal body malformations. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44962 pubmed publisher..Our study provides new insights for the understanding of the mechanisms resulting in caudal body malformations, including sirenomelia. ..
- Rodriguez J, Calvo F, Gonzalez J, Casar B, Andres V, Crespo P. ERK1/2 MAP kinases promote cell cycle entry by rapid, kinase-independent disruption of retinoblastoma-lamin A complexes. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:967-79 pubmed publisher..We also show that cellular transformation and tumor cell proliferation are dependent on the balance between lamin A and nuclear ERK1/2 levels, which determines Rb accessibility for phosphorylation/inactivation. ..
- Montero J, Zuzarte Luis V, Garcia Martinez V, Hurle J. Role of RhoC in digit morphogenesis during limb development. Dev Biol. 2007;303:325-35 pubmed..These functions appear to be mediated by reorganization of the actin cytoskeleton and modification of the adhesive properties of the mesenchymal cells. ..
- Ritchie A, Gutierrez O, Fernandez Luna J. PAR bZIP-bik is a novel transcriptional pathway that mediates oxidative stress-induced apoptosis in fibroblasts. Cell Death Differ. 2009;16:838-46 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a novel transcriptional pathway relevant in transducing the apoptotic response to oxidative stress. ..
- Villar A, Cobo M, Llano M, Montalvo C, González Vílchez F, Martin Duran R, et al. Plasma levels of transforming growth factor-beta1 reflect left ventricular remodeling in aortic stenosis. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8476 pubmed publisher..The possible value of plasma TGF-beta1 as a marker reflecting preoperative myocardial remodeling status in AS patients deserves further analysis in larger patient cohorts. ..
- Crespo D, Megias M, Fernandez Viadero C, Verduga R. Chronic treatment with a precursor of cellular phosphatidylcholine ameliorates morphological and behavioral effects of aging in the mouse [correction of rat] hippocampus. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004;1019:41-3 pubmed..Experimental observations suggest that CDP-choline has a positive effect on memory (reference errors were attenuated), and hippocampal morphology resembled that of younger animals...
- Rico C, Garcia H, Rico J. Physical-anaerobic-chemical process for treatment of dairy cattle manure. Bioresour Technol. 2011;102:2143-50 pubmed publisher..Accumulation of volatile fatty acids did not occur. Ammonia nitrogen concentration in the anaerobic effluent fluctuated between 850-1170 mg NH(4)(+)-N/L and was reduced to values less than 100mg NH(4)(+)-N/L by struvite precipitation. ..
- Emeterio E, Tramullas M, Hurlé M. Modulation of apoptosis in the mouse brain after morphine treatments and morphine withdrawal. J Neurosci Res. 2006;83:1352-61 pubmed..The possible clinical implications of our findings are discussed...
- Tamayo E, Postigo J, Del Giudice G, Rappuoli R, Benito A, Yagita H, et al. Involvement of the intrinsic and extrinsic cell-death pathways in the induction of apoptosis of mature lymphocytes by the Escherichia coli heat-labile enterotoxin. Eur J Immunol. 2009;39:439-46 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our study shows that the same bacterial toxin can induce apoptosis of lymphoid cells through several mechanisms depending on the status of differentiation of these cells. ..
- Casafont I, Palanca A, Lafarga V, Berciano M, Lafarga M. Effect of ionizing radiation in sensory ganglion neurons: organization and dynamics of nuclear compartments of DNA damage/repair and their relationship with transcription and cell cycle. Acta Neuropathol. 2011;122:481-93 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we propose that the segregation of unrepaired DNA in a few persistent chromatin compartments preserves genomic stability of undamaged DNA and the global transcription rate in neurons...
- Icardo J, Colvee E. Origin and course of the coronary arteries in normal mice and in iv/iv mice. J Anat. 2001;199:473-82 pubmed..Most coronary anomalies appear to be due to defective connections between the aortic root and the developing coronaries. iv/iv mice may therefore constitute a good model to study the development of similar anomalies in the human heart. ..
- Rico C, Montes J, Rico J. Evaluation of different types of anaerobic seed sludge for the high rate anaerobic digestion of pig slurry in UASB reactors. Bioresour Technol. 2017;238:147-156 pubmed publisher..236LCH4g-1COD) at an organic loading rate of 7.2gCODL-1d-1. To guarantee the success of the UASB process, the settleable solids of the slurry must be previously removed. ..
- Fu Q, Posth C, Hajdinjak M, Petr M, Mallick S, Fernandes D, et al. The genetic history of Ice Age Europe. Nature. 2016;534:200-5 pubmed publisher..These results document how population turnover and migration have been recurring themes of European prehistory. ..
- Martinez Taboada V, Alvarez L, RuizSoto M, Marin Vidalled M, Lopez Hoyos M. Giant cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica: role of cytokines in the pathogenesis and implications for treatment. Cytokine. 2008;44:207-20 pubmed publisher..To summarize the contribution of cytokines to pathogenesis, clinical manifestations and prognosis of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and giant cell arteritis (GCA)...
- Ladrón N, Fernández M, Aguero J, Gonzalez Zorn B, Vazquez Boland J, Navas J. Rapid identification of Rhodococcus equi by a PCR assay targeting the choE gene. J Clin Microbiol. 2003;41:3241-5 pubmed..equi choE. Comparison of the 16S RNA genes indicated that ATCC 21387 should be considered an R. equi isolate. ..
- Carrasco Marin E, Rodriguez Del Rio E, Frande Cabanes E, Tobes R, Pareja E, Lecea Cuello M, et al. Phagosomes induced by cytokines function as anti-Listeria vaccines: novel role for functional compartmentalization of STAT-1 protein and cathepsin-D. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:14310-24 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it appears that the connection of STAT-1 and cathepsin-D in a single compartment is relevant for protection against listeriosis...
- Marquina R, Díez M, Lopez Hoyos M, Buelta L, Kuroki A, Kikuchi S, et al. Inhibition of B cell death causes the development of an IgA nephropathy in (New Zealand white x C57BL/6)F(1)-bcl-2 transgenic mice. J Immunol. 2004;172:7177-85 pubmed
- Zuzarte Luis V, Montero J, Rodriguez Leon J, Merino R, Rodriguez Rey J, Hurle J. A new role for BMP5 during limb development acting through the synergic activation of Smad and MAPK pathways. Dev Biol. 2004;272:39-52 pubmed..Together, our results suggest that Smad and MAPK pathways act synergistically in the BMP pathway controlling limb development. ..
- Casar B, Sanz Moreno V, Yazicioglu M, Rodriguez J, Berciano M, Lafarga M, et al. Mxi2 promotes stimulus-independent ERK nuclear translocation. EMBO J. 2007;26:635-46 pubmed..These results point to Mxi2 as a key spatial regulator for ERK1/2 and disclose an unprecedented stimulus-independent mechanism for ERK nuclear import. ..
- Ruiz Ontañon P, Orgaz J, Aldaz B, Elosegui Artola A, Martino J, Berciano M, et al. Cellular plasticity confers migratory and invasive advantages to a population of glioblastoma-initiating cells that infiltrate peritumoral tissue. Stem Cells. 2013;31:1075-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results describe the invasive features acquired by a unique subpopulation of GICs that infiltrate neighboring tissue. ..
- Linge R, JimÃ©nez SÃ¡nchez L, Campa L, Pilar CuÃ©llar F, Vidal R, Pazos A, et al. Cannabidiol induces rapid-acting antidepressant-like effects and enhances cortical 5-HT/glutamate neurotransmission: role of 5-HT1A receptors. Neuropharmacology. 2016;103:16-26 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our findings indicate that CBD could represent a novel fast antidepressant drug, via enhancing both serotonergic and glutamate cortical signalling through a 5-HT1A receptor-dependent mechanism. ..
- Remuzgo Martínez S, Pilares Ortega L, Icardo J, Valdizán E, Vargas V, Pazos A, et al. Microglial activation and expression of immune-related genes in a rat ex vivo nervous system model after infection with Listeria monocytogenes. Glia. 2013;61:611-22 pubmed publisher..After 5 h of infection, L. monocytogenes caused a substantial increase in the expression of TLR1 and TLR2 genes, as well as in several downstream genes of the TLR signaling pathways...
- Llorian M, Beullens M, Andrés I, Ortiz J, Bollen M. SIPP1, a novel pre-mRNA splicing factor and interactor of protein phosphatase-1. Biochem J. 2004;378:229-38 pubmed..Finally, we found that SIPP1 is also a component of the spliceosomes and that a SIPP1-fragment inhibits splicing catalysis by nuclear extracts independent of its ability to interact with PP1. ..
- Vaque J, Fernandez Garcia B, García Sanz P, Ferrandiz N, Bretones G, Calvo F, et al. c-Myc inhibits Ras-mediated differentiation of pheochromocytoma cells by blocking c-Jun up-regulation. Mol Cancer Res. 2008;6:325-39 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we describe a novel interplay between c-Myc and c-Jun that controls the ability of Ras to trigger the differentiation program of pheochromocytoma cells. ..