Experts and Doctors on papillomavirus infections in Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Locale: Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Topic: papillomavirus infections
- Chatterjee K, Dandara C, Hoffman M, Williamson A. CCR2-V64I polymorphism is associated with increased risk of cervical cancer but not with HPV infection or pre-cancerous lesions in African women. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:278 pubmed publisher..This result implies that the role of CCR2 is important in invasive cancer of the cervix but not in HPV infection or in the development of pre-cancers. ..
- Mbulawa Z, Coetzee D, Marais D, Kamupira M, Zwane E, Allan B, et al. Genital human papillomavirus prevalence and human papillomavirus concordance in heterosexual couples are positively associated with human immunodeficiency virus coinfection. J Infect Dis. 2009;199:1514-24 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, HIV coinfection in one or both sexually active partners increased HPV prevalence and HPV type-specific concordance. ..
- Govan V, Rybicki E, Williamson A. Therapeutic immunisation of rabbits with cottontail rabbit papillomavirus (CRPV) virus-like particles (VLP) induces regression of established papillomas. Virol J. 2008;5:45 pubmed publisher..05). This data demonstrates the therapeutic potential of PV VLPs in a well-understood animal model with potential important implications for human therapeutic vaccination for low-risk HPVs...
- Govan V, Loubser S, Saleh D, Hoffman M, Williamson A. No relationship observed between human p53 codon-72 genotype and HPV-associated cervical cancer in a population group with a low arginine-72 allele frequency. Int J Immunogenet. 2007;34:213-7 pubmed..05) between the control groups of South Africa and other population groups. This result suggests that ethnic disparity may influence the levels of p53 produced. ..
- Govan V, Constant D, Hoffman M, Williamson A. The allelic distribution of -308 Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha gene polymorphism in South African women with cervical cancer and control women. BMC Cancer. 2006;6:24 pubmed..However, as the distribution of the -308A TNF-alpha was notably different between the control groups of South Africa and other population groups this result suggests that ethnic disparity may influence the levels of TNF-alpha produced. ..
- Govan V, Christensen N, Berkower C, Jacobs W, Williamson A. Immunisation with recombinant BCG expressing the cottontail rabbit papillomavirus (CRPV) L1 gene provides protection from CRPV challenge. Vaccine. 2006;24:2087-93 pubmed..5% of CRPV at serum dilutions of 1:200. These results provide evidence that BCG could potentially be used as a vaccine delivery vehicle for human papillomavirus proteins as a possible prophylactic vaccine...
- Sinanovic E, Moodley J, Barone M, Mall S, Cleary S, Harries J. The potential cost-effectiveness of adding a human papillomavirus vaccine to the cervical cancer screening programme in South Africa. Vaccine. 2009;27:6196-202 pubmed publisher..To address the issue of affordability and cost-effectiveness, the pharmaceutical companies need to make a commitment to price reductions. ..
- Moodley J, Constant D, Hoffman M, Salimo A, Allan B, Rybicki E, et al. Human papillomavirus prevalence, viral load and pre-cancerous lesions of the cervix in women initiating highly active antiretroviral therapy in South Africa: a cross-sectional study. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:275 pubmed publisher..Our results underscore the need for locally relevant, rigorous screening protocols for the increasing numbers of women accessing ARV therapy so that the benefits of ARVs are not partially offset by an excess risk in cervical cancer. ..
- Marais D, Gawarecki D, Allan B, Ahmed K, Altini L, Cassim N, et al. The effectiveness of Carraguard, a vaginal microbicide, in protecting women against high-risk human papillomavirus infection. Antivir Ther. 2011;16:1219-26 pubmed publisher..The prevalence of HR-HPV infection was lower in compliant Carraguard users than compliant placebo users. To our knowledge, this is the first report showing a negative association of HPV infection with a vaginal microbicide. ..
- Meiring T, Salimo A, Coetzee B, Maree H, Moodley J, Hitzeroth I, et al. Next-generation sequencing of cervical DNA detects human papillomavirus types not detected by commercial kits. Virol J. 2012;9:164 pubmed publisher..The significance of these types in relation to cervical disease remains to be investigated. ..
- Denny L. Cervical cancer: prevention and treatment. Discov Med. 2012;14:125-31 pubmed..Ongoing efforts to refine the characteristics of screening tests continue, as does implementation of current HPV vaccines for the primary prevention of cervical cancer. ..
- Denny L, Franceschi S, de Sanjose S, Heard I, Moscicki A, Palefsky J. Human papillomavirus, human immunodeficiency virus and immunosuppression. Vaccine. 2012;30 Suppl 5:F168-74 pubmed publisher..This article forms part of a special supplement entitled "Comprehensive Control of HPV Infections and Related Diseases" Vaccine Volume 30, Supplement 5, 2012. ..
- Kohl T, Hitzeroth I, Christensen N, Rybicki E. Expression of HPV-11 L1 protein in transgenic Arabidopsis thaliana and Nicotiana tabacum. BMC Biotechnol. 2007;7:56 pubmed..This has important and potentially negative implications for the production of HPV-11 vaccines in plants. ..
- Govan V, Williamson A. Rabbits immunised with recombinant BCG expressing the cottontail rabbit papillomavirus (CRPV) L2E7E2 genes induces regression of established papillomas. Virus Res. 2007;127:43-8 pubmed..05). The findings in this study suggest that BCG could probably be used as a vaccine delivery vehicle for human papillomavirus proteins as a possible therapeutic vaccine...
- Marais D, Carrara H, Kay P, Ramjee G, Allan B, Williamson A. The impact of the use of COL-1492, a nonoxynol-9 vaginal gel, on the presence of cervical human papillomavirus in female sex workers. Virus Res. 2006;121:220-2 pubmed..5 95% CI 1.0-11.8). We conclude that the use of nonoxynol-9 did not prevent genital HPV infection and could increase the virus' ability to infect or persist...