Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on male in Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Locale: Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
- Bekolo C, Diallo A, Philips M, Yuma J, Di Stefano L, DrÃ¨ze S, et al. Six-monthly appointment spacing for clinical visits as a model for retention in HIV Care in Conakry-Guinea: a cohort study. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:766 pubmed publisher..R6M could be rolled out as the model of care for stable patients where and when feasible as a strategy likely to improve retention in HIV care. ..
- Kalungi A, Seedat S, Hemmings S, van der Merwe L, Joloba M, Nanteza A, et al. Association between serotonin transporter gene polymorphisms and increased suicidal risk among HIV positive patients in Uganda. BMC Genet. 2017;18:71 pubmed publisher..The S A allele at the 5-HTTLPR/rs25531 locus is associated with increased suicidal risk among Ugandan PLWHA. Further studies are needed to validate this finding in Ugandan and other sub-Saharan samples. ..
- Nguyen K, Peer N, de Villiers A, Mukasa B, Matsha T, Mills E, et al. Optimal waist circumference threshold for diagnosing metabolic syndrome in African people living with HIV infection. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183029 pubmed publisher..A single threshold of 90 cm for both genders would be a practical suggestion. ..
- Borkum M, Heckmann J, Manning K, Dave J, Levitt N, Rayner B, et al. High prevalence of "non-dipping" blood pressure and vascular stiffness in HIV-infected South Africans on antiretrovirals. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185003 pubmed publisher..Causality cannot be inferred but cardiovascular risk reduction should be emphasized in these patients. ..
- Dube F, Kaba M, Whittaker E, Zar H, Nicol M. Detection of Streptococcus pneumoniae from Different Types of Nasopharyngeal Swabs in Children. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68097 pubmed publisher..005). Flocked swabs released more S. pneumoniae compared to both Dacron and rayon swabs from mock specimens. Similarly, higher bacterial loads were detected by qPCR from flocked swabs compared with Dacron swabs from healthy children. ..
- Lochan H, Pillay V, Bamford C, Nuttall J, Eley B. Bloodstream infections at a tertiary level paediatric hospital in South Africa. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:750 pubmed publisher..This study adds to the limited literature describing BSI in children in Africa. Further studies are required to understand the impact that BSI has on the paediatric population in sub-Saharan Africa. ..
- Taylor W, Naw H, Maitland K, Williams T, Kapulu M, D Alessandro U, et al. Single low-dose primaquine for blocking transmission of Plasmodium falciparum malaria - a proposed model-derived age-based regimen for sub-Saharan Africa. BMC Med. 2018;16:11 pubmed publisher..5â€‰-â€‰11Â years. If the regimen is safe and demonstrates adequate pharmacokinetics, it should be used to support malaria elimination. ..
- Dlamini T, Heering P, Chivese T, Rayner B. A prospective study of the demographics, management and outcome of patients with acute kidney injury in Cape Town, South Africa. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177460 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates finally that it remains imperative that clinicians actively pursue underlying causes of acute decline in renal function, including urine analysis, renal ultrasonography and if indicated and safe, a renal biopsy. ..
- Swannet S, Decroo T, de Castro S, Rosé C, Giuliani R, Molfino L, et al. Journey towards universal viral load monitoring in Maputo, Mozambique: many gaps, but encouraging signs. Int Health. 2017;9:206-214 pubmed publisher..We assessed the VL testing scale-up in six Médecins Sans Frontières supported health centres in Maputo, Mozambique, during 2014-15...
- Aung T, Ozaki M, Lee M, Schlötzer Schrehardt U, Thorleifsson G, Mizoguchi T, et al. Genetic association study of exfoliation syndrome identifies a protective rare variant at LOXL1 and five new susceptibility loci. Nat Genet. 2017;49:993-1004 pubmed publisher..3 (TMEM136), 6p21 (AGPAT1), 3p24 (RBMS3) and 5q23 (near SEMA6A). These findings provide biological insights into the pathology of XFS and highlight a potential role for naturally occurring rare LOXL1 variants in disease biology. ..
- Musuku J, Lungu J, Machila E, Jones C, Colin L, Schwaninger S, et al. Epidemiology of pharyngitis as reported by Zambian school children and their families: implications for demand-side interventions to prevent rheumatic heart disease. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:473 pubmed publisher..These results provide insight into current perceptions and practices related to sore throat in Zambia and will be used to design public awareness activities aimed at reducing RHD. ..
- Gina P, Randall P, Muchinga T, Pooran A, Meldau R, Peter J, et al. Early morning urine collection to improve urinary lateral flow LAM assay sensitivity in hospitalised patients with HIV-TB co-infection. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:339 pubmed publisher..001). LF-LAM specificity was not determined. This proof of concept study indicates that EMU could improve the sensitivity of LF-LAM in hospitalised TB-HIV co-infected patients. These data have implications for clinical practice. ..
- Haberer J, Sabin L, Amico K, Orrell C, GALARRAGA O, Tsai A, et al. Improving antiretroviral therapy adherence in resource-limited settings at scale: a discussion of interventions and recommendations. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017;20:21371 pubmed publisher..b>Conclusions: The opportunity exists today to address and resolve many of the challenges to effective ART adherence, so that they do not limit the potential of ART to help bring about the end of AIDS. ..
- Ojji D, Lecour S, Adeyemi O, Sliwa K. Soluble ST2 correlates with some indicators of right ventricular function in hypertensive heart failure. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2017;13:311-316 pubmed publisher..75, p<0.0001), RVDD (t=0.28, p=0.004) and RAA (t=0.46, p=0.002). In a cohort of hypertensive HF subjects, soluble ST2 correlates significantly with RVSP, RVDD and RAA. ..
- Siegl A, M Kösel E, Tam N, Koschnick S, Langerak N, Skorski S, et al. Submaximal Markers of Fatigue and Overreaching; Implications for Monitoring Athletes. Int J Sports Med. 2017;38:675-682 pubmed publisher..Responses to acute fatigue and overreaching were characterized by counterintuitive responses, such as lower submaximal heart rates and faster heart rate recovery, while ratings of perceived exertion were higher. ..
- Mooney A, Gottert A, Khoza N, Rebombo D, Hove J, Suárez A, et al. Men's Perceptions of Treatment as Prevention in South Africa: Implications for Engagement in HIV Care and Treatment. AIDS Educ Prev. 2017;29:274-287 pubmed publisher..Pairing TasP information with alternative testing options may increase engagement among men reluctant to be seen at clinics. ..
- Lawn S, Kerkhoff A, Burton R, Schutz C, Boulle A, Vogt M, et al. Diagnostic accuracy, incremental yield and prognostic value of Determine TB-LAM for routine diagnostic testing for tuberculosis in HIV-infected patients requiring acute hospital admission in South Africa: a prospective cohort. BMC Med. 2017;15:67 pubmed publisher..The assay also rapidly identifies individuals with a poor prognosis. ..
- Slogrove A, Mahy M, Armstrong A, Davies M. Living and dying to be counted: What we know about the epidemiology of the global adolescent HIV epidemic. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017;20:21520 pubmed publisher..This review aims to describe the epidemiology of the adolescent HIV epidemic and the ability of national monitoring systems to measure outcomes in HIV-infected adolescents through the adolescent transition to adulthood...
- Pefura Yone E, Balkissou A, Poka Mayap V, Fatime Abaicho H, Enono Edende P, Kengne A. Development and validation of a prognostic score during tuberculosis treatment. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:251 pubmed publisher..If confirmed, the model derived could facilitate the stratification of TB patients for mortality risk and implementation of additional monitoring and management measures in vulnerable patients. ..
- Pam D, de Souza D, D Souza S, Opoku M, Sanda S, Nazaradden I, et al. Is mass drug administration against lymphatic filariasis required in urban settings? The experience in Kano, Nigeria. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0006004 pubmed publisher..In order to plan the LF control activities, this study was undertaken to confirm the LF infection prevalence in the human and mosquito populations in three urban LGAs...
- Philips L, Visser J, Nel D, Blaauw R. The association between tuberculosis and the development of insulin resistance in adults with pulmonary tuberculosis in the Western sub-district of the Cape Metropole region, South Africa: a combined cross-sectional, cohort study. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:570 pubmed publisher..A high prevalence of IR amongst young tuberculosis patients therefore highlights the need for early identification in order to facilitate a reversal of IR and prevent possible IR-related complications. ..
- Scriba T, Carpenter C, Pro S, Sidney J, Musvosvi M, Rozot V, et al. Differential Recognition of Mycobacterium tuberculosis-Specific Epitopes as a Function of Tuberculosis Disease History. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017;196:772-781 pubmed publisher..The underlying cause is not known, but one explanation is that previous disease results in less-effective immunity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb)...
- El Shahawy M, Cannon C, Blom D, McKenney J, Cariou B, Lecorps G, et al. Efficacy and Safety of Alirocumab Versus Ezetimibe Over 2 Years (from ODYSSEY COMBO II). Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:931-939 pubmed publisher..5% (7 of 454) of alirocumab-treated patients (0 with ezetimibe), mostly at isolated time points. Alirocumab sustained substantial LDL-C reductions and was well tolerated up to 2 years in the COMBO II trial. ..
- Carballo Dieguez A, BALAN I, Brown W, Giguere R, Dolezal C, Leu C, et al. High levels of adherence to a rectal microbicide gel and to oral Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) achieved in MTN-017 among men who have sex with men (MSM) and transgender women. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181607 pubmed publisher..Adherence to RAI-associated rectal gel use was as high as adherence to daily oral PrEP. A rectal microbicide gel, if efficacious, could be an alternative for individuals uninterested in daily oral PrEP. ..
- Blaizot S, Huerga H, Riche B, Ellman T, Shroufi A, Etard J, et al. Combined interventions to reduce HIV incidence in KwaZulu-Natal: a modelling study. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:522 pubmed publisher..In this setting, combining these guidelines, VMMC, and PrEP among young women could be an effective strategy in reducing the incidence to low levels. ..
- Aliyu H, Mustak H, Cook C. Using the Postoperative Visual Acuity to Monitor the Quality of Cataract Surgery: Does the Day One Visual Acuity following Cataract Surgery Correlate with the Final Visual Acuity?. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol. 2017;24:91-93 pubmed publisher..This study was undertaken to ascertain if the early and late visual acuities are correlated and if the day 1 visual acuity can be used to predict the likely final visual acuity...
- Spence R, Scott J, Haider A, Navsaria P, Nicol A. Comparative assessment of in-hospital trauma mortality at a South African trauma center and matched patients treated in the United States. Surgery. 2017;162:620-627 pubmed publisher..International comparisons of interhospital variation in risk-adjusted outcomes following trauma can identify opportunities for quality improvement and have the potential to measure the impact of any corrective strategy implemented. ..
- Dyers R, Ward G, Du Plooy S, Fourie S, Evans J, Mahomed H. Training and support to improve ICD coding quality: A controlled before-and-after impact evaluation. S Afr Med J. 2017;107:501-506 pubmed publisher..The findings on impact on ICD coding accuracy were not significant. There is sufficient pragmatic evidence that a training and support package will have a considerable positive impact on ICD coding completeness in the SA setting. ..
- Afungchwi G, Hesseling P, Ladas E. The role of traditional healers in the diagnosis and management of Burkitt lymphoma in Cameroon: understanding the challenges and moving forward. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:209 pubmed publisher..TH are ignorant about BL, resulting in non-referral, and thus delay in diagnosis and treatment. Collaboration with TH could reduce late diagnosis and improve cure rates of BL and other childhood cancers. ..
- Orrell C, Cohen K, Leisegang R, Bangsberg D, Wood R, Maartens G. Comparison of six methods to estimate adherence in an ART-naïve cohort in a resource-poor setting: which best predicts virological and resistance outcomes?. AIDS Res Ther. 2017;14:20 pubmed publisher..pactr.org ). The first participant was enrolled on the 12th July 2012. The last patient last visit (week 48) was 15 April 2014. ..
- Githinji L, Gray D, Hlengwa S, Myer L, Zar H. Lung Function in South African Adolescents Infected Perinatally with HIV and Treated Long-Term with Antiretroviral Therapy. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2017;14:722-729 pubmed publisher..Prior lower respiratory tract infection or pulmonary tuberculosis is associated with lower lung function. ..
- Masiye F, Mayosi B, de Vries J. "I passed the test!" Evidence of diagnostic misconception in the recruitment of population controls for an H3Africa genomic study in Cape Town, South Africa. BMC Med Ethics. 2017;18:12 pubmed publisher..In this study, the main challenges were diagnostic misconception among RHDGen controls and therapeutic misconception among RHDGen cases. ..
- Nguimmo Metsadjio A, Atogho Tiedeu B, Noubiap J, Evehe M, Djokam Dadjeu R, Donfack O, et al. Investigation of the association between the TCF7L2 rs7903146 (C/T) gene polymorphism and obesity in a Cameroonian population: a pilot study. J Health Popul Nutr. 2017;36:12 pubmed publisher..The rs7903146 (C/T) polymorphism of the TCF7L2 gene might not be associated with obesity in the Cameroonian population. ..
- Stokes A, Berry K, McHiza Z, Parker W, Labadarios D, Chola L, et al. Prevalence and unmet need for diabetes care across the care continuum in a national sample of South African adults: Evidence from the SANHANES-1, 2011-2012. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184264 pubmed publisher..These results point to significant unmet need for diabetes care in South Africa. Additionally, this analysis provides a benchmark for evaluating efforts to manage the rising burden of diabetes in South Africa...
- Dahourou D, Gautier Lafaye C, Teasdale C, Renner L, Yotebieng M, Desmonde S, et al. Transition from paediatric to adult care of adolescents living with HIV in sub-Saharan Africa: challenges, youth-friendly models, and outcomes. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017;20:21528 pubmed publisher..Standardized data gathering, analysis, and reporting systems specific to adolescent transition are essential to improve understanding and adolescent outcomes in Africa. ..
- Mji G, Rhoda A, Statham S, Joseph C. A protocol for the methodological steps used to evaluate the alignment of rehabilitation services in the Western Cape, South Africa with the National Rehabilitation Policy. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:200 pubmed publisher..This is a groundbreaking methodological exploration that offers both study methods and instruments to measure rehabilitation services at both in-patient and out-patient rehabilitation services. ..
- Nemes E, Rozot V, Geldenhuys H, Bilek N, Mabwe S, Abrahams D, et al. Optimization and Interpretation of Serial QuantiFERON Testing to Measure Acquisition of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infection. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017;196:638-648 pubmed publisher..Interpretation of serial tests is confounded by immunological and technical variability...
- Mark D, Taing L, Cluver L, Collins C, Iorpenda K, Andrade C, et al. What is it going to take to move youth-related HIV programme policies into practice in Africa?. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017;20:21491 pubmed publisher..Only by moving from policy to practice through supportive policies and their implementation will we be closer to including adolescents in the 2030 goal of ending AIDS. ..
- Monera Penduka T, Maponga C, Wolfe A, Wiesner L, Morse G, Nhachi C. Effect of Moringa oleifera Lam. leaf powder on the pharmacokinetics of nevirapine in HIV-infected adults: a one sequence cross-over study. AIDS Res Ther. 2017;14:12 pubmed publisher..Co-administration of Moringa oleifera Lam. leaf powder at the traditional dose did not significantly alter the steady-state PK of nevirapine. Trial registration number NCT01410058 (ClinicalTrials.gov). ..
- Miiro G, DeCelles J, Rutakumwa R, Nakiyingi Miiro J, Muzira P, Ssembajjwe W, et al. Soccer-based promotion of voluntary medical male circumcision: A mixed-methods feasibility study with secondary students in Uganda. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185929 pubmed publisher..However, the intervention is time-intensive, and further work is needed to assess the cost-effectiveness of the intervention conducted at scale...
- Abrahams N, Mathews S, Lombard C, Martin L, Jewkes R. Sexual homicides in South Africa: A national cross-sectional epidemiological study of adult women and children. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186432 pubmed publisher..Reducing mortality is an important policy goal for South Africa and for the rest of the world and the prevention of female and child homicide is an important part of attaining this goal. ..
- Rick F, Niyibizi A, Shroufi A, Onami K, Steele S, Kuleile M, et al. Cryptococcal antigen screening by lay cadres using a rapid test at the point of care: A feasibility study in rural Lesotho. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183656 pubmed publisher..These early results support the wider use of CrAg LFA screening in remote primary care settings where upper cadres of healthcare staff may be in short supply. ..
- Woodcock A, Bleecker E, Lotvall J, O Byrne P, Bateman E, Medley H, et al. Efficacy and safety of fluticasone furoate/vilanterol compared with fluticasone propionate/salmeterol combination in adult and adolescent patients with persistent asthma: a randomized trial. Chest. 2013;144:1222-1229 pubmed publisher..The efficacy of once-daily FF/VI was similar to bid FP/SAL in improving lung function in patients with persistent asthma. No safety issues were identified. ..
- Skoglund P, Thompson J, Prendergast M, Mittnik A, Sirak K, Hajdinjak M, et al. Reconstructing Prehistoric African Population Structure. Cell. 2017;171:59-71.e21 pubmed publisher..We finally leverage ancient genomes to document episodes of natural selection in southern African populations. PAPERCLIP. ..
- Nathavitharana R, Bond P, Dramowski A, Kotze K, Lederer P, Oxley I, et al. Agents of change: The role of healthcare workers in the prevention of nosocomial and occupational tuberculosis. Presse Med. 2017;46:e53-e62 pubmed publisher..However, these efforts cannot succeed without increased political will, supportive legal frameworks and financial investments to support HCWs in efforts to decrease TB transmission. ..
- Bissler J, Kingswood J, Radzikowska E, Zonnenberg B, Belousova E, Frost M, et al. Everolimus long-term use in patients with tuberous sclerosis complex: Four-year update of the EXIST-2 study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180939 pubmed publisher..The overall risk/benefit assessment supports the use of everolimus as a viable treatment option for angiomyolipoma associated with tuberous sclerosis complex or sporadic lymphangioleiomyomatosis. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT00790400. ..
- Tam N, Darragh I, Divekar N, Lamberts R. Habitual Minimalist Shod Running Biomechanics and the Acute Response to Running Barefoot. Int J Sports Med. 2017;38:770-775 pubmed publisher..The purported benefits of minimalist running shoes in mimicking habitual barefoot running is questioned, and risk of injury may not be attenuated. ..
- van der Westhuizen H, Dramowski A. When students become patients: TB disease among medical undergraduates in Cape Town, South Africa. S Afr Med J. 2017;107:475-479 pubmed publisher..Undergraduate medical students in Cape Town are at high risk of occupationally acquired TB, with an unmet need for comprehensive occupational health services and support. ..
- Davies M, Tsondai P, Tiffin N, Eley B, Rabie H, Euvrard J, et al. Where do HIV-infected adolescents go after transfer? - Tracking transition/transfer of HIV-infected adolescents using linkage of cohort data to a health information system platform. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017;20:21668 pubmed publisher..Although >80% of adolescents transferred successfully with nearly 85% of them retained for 3 years post-transfer, the decline in the proportion virologically suppressed and poorer outcomes in older adolescents are concerns.?. ..
- Kilonzo K, Jones E, Okpechi I, Wearne N, Barday Z, Swanepoel C, et al. Disparities in dialysis allocation: An audit from the new South Africa. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176041 pubmed publisher..In view of the advanced nature of presentation greater efforts need to be made to prevent early kidney disease, to allocate more resources to renal replacement therapy in view of the loss of young and potentially productive life. ..
- Visagie S, Eide A, Dyrstad K, Mannan H, Swartz L, Schneider M, et al. Factors related to environmental barriers experienced by persons with and without disabilities in diverse African settings. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186342 pubmed publisher..Reducing barriers for the general population would go some way to reduce the impact of these for persons with activity limitations, but additional and specific adaptations will be required to ensure an inclusive society...
- Umutesi J, Simmons B, Makuza J, Dushimiyimana D, Mbituyumuremyi A, Uwimana J, et al. Prevalence of hepatitis B and C infection in persons living with HIV enrolled in care in Rwanda. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:315 pubmed publisher..Further assessment is required to determine rates of HBV and HCV chronicity among HIV-infected individuals and identify effective strategies to link individuals to care and treatment. ..
- Kaplan S, Oosthuizen C, Stinson K, Little F, Euvrard J, Schomaker M, et al. Contemporary disengagement from antiretroviral therapy in Khayelitsha, South Africa: A cohort study. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002407 pubmed publisher..Disengagement from care remains an important challenge. We sought to determine the incidence of and risk factors associated with disengagement from care during 2013-2014 and outcomes for those who disengaged...
- Bio A, Boko P, Dossou Y, Tougoue J, Kabore A, Sounouvou I, et al. Prevalence of Trachoma in Northern Benin: Results from 11 Population-Based Prevalence Surveys Covering 26 Districts. Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2017;24:265-273 pubmed publisher..The current distribution of ophthalmic clinical officers does not match surgical needs. ..
- Pierrache L, Kimchi A, Ratnapriya R, Roberts L, Astuti G, Obolensky A, et al. Whole-Exome Sequencing Identifies Biallelic IDH3A Variants as a Cause of Retinitis Pigmentosa Accompanied by Pseudocoloboma. Ophthalmology. 2017;124:992-1003 pubmed publisher..We observed both phenotypes in 2 siblings carrying the same compound heterozygous variants, which could be explained by variable disease expression and warrants caution when making assertions about genotype-phenotype correlations. ..