Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on south africa in Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Locale: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Topic: south africa
Publications128 found, 100 shown here
- Jewkes R, Brown H, Dickson Tetteh K, Levin J, Rees H. Prevalence of morbidity associated with abortion before and after legalisation in South Africa. BMJ. 2002;324:1252-3 pubmed
- Peltzer K, Mabilu M, Mathoho S, Nekhwevha A, Sikhwivhilu T, Sinthumule T. Trauma history and severity of gambling involvement among horse-race gamblers in a South African gambling setting. Psychol Rep. 2006;99:472-6 pubmed..Trauma history was significantly associated with gambling severity. ..
- Du Toit C, Scholtz C, Hyman W. Prevalence of the dog nematode Spirocerca lupi in populations of its intermediate dung beetle host in the Tshwane (Pretoria) Metropole, South Africa. Onderstepoort J Vet Res. 2008;75:315-21 pubmed..5% of the dung beetles dissected were infected, while the prevalence of S. lupi in dung beetles in the rural area was 2.3%. All the dung beetles that were infected with this nematode showed a preference for omnivore (pig and dog) dung. ..
- Matlakala M, Botha A. Intensive care unit nurse managers' views regarding nurse staffing in their units in South Africa. Intensive Crit Care Nurs. 2016;32:49-57 pubmed publisher..The findings demonstrate the importance of provision of ICU trained nurses for patient care, rather than nurse staffing simply to balance the numbers. ..
- Nyaga M, Peenze I, Potgieter C, Seheri L, Page N, Yinda C, et al. Complete genome analyses of the first porcine rotavirus group H identified from a South African pig does not provide evidence for recent interspecies transmission events. Infect Genet Evol. 2016;38:1-7 pubmed publisher..However, more RVH genomes from a wider host range are needed to better understand their evolutionary pathways and zoonotic potential. ..
- Ameh A, Musyoka N, Fatoba O, Syrtsova D, Teplyakov V, Petrik L. Synthesis of zeolite NaA membrane from fused fly ash extract. J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng. 2016;51:348-56 pubmed publisher..Membrane selectivity was maintained showing membrane integrity with permselectivity of 1.1, showing that a waste feedstock, fly ash, could be utilized for preparing robust zeolite NaA membranes on Ti support. ..
- Lippman S, Shade S, Sumitani J, DeKadt J, Gilvydis J, Ratlhagana M, et al. Evaluation of short message service and peer navigation to improve engagement in HIV care in South Africa: study protocol for a three-arm cluster randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2016;17:68 pubmed publisher..NCT02417233, registered 12 December 2014. ..
- Swanepoel D, Hugo R, Louw B. Infant hearing screening at immunization clinics in South Africa. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2006;70:1241-9 pubmed..In addition to this efficient tracking systems are necessary to ensure acceptably high follow-up return rates are reached over time. ..
- Hunter G, Roux J, Wingfield B, Crous P, Wingfield M. Mycosphaerella species causing leaf disease in South African Eucalyptus plantations. Mycol Res. 2004;108:672-81 pubmed..nitens, and appears to be the dominant species contributing to MLB. Data obtained in this study show that MLB is caused by a complex of species contributing to disease outbreaks in South Africa. ..
- Deschodt C, Davis A, Scholtz C. A new synonymy in the fidius group of Copris MÃ¼ller 1764 (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae) and a new species from the highland grasslands of South Africa. Zootaxa. 2015;3949:431-8 pubmed publisher..bihamatus is indeed a synonym of C. fidius. We provide a key for all known valid species in the fidius group, except C. serius Nguyen-Phung, 1987. ..
- Haddad D, MAKIN J, Pattinson R, Forsyth B. Barriers to early prenatal care in South Africa. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2016;132:64-7 pubmed publisher..Similarly, addressing cultural concerns and fears regarding pregnancy is imperative in promoting early attendance. ..
- Gibbs A, Willan S, Jama Shai N, Washington L, Jewkes R. 'Eh! I felt I was sabotaged!': facilitators' understandings of success in a participatory HIV and IPV prevention intervention in urban South Africa. Health Educ Res. 2015;30:985-95 pubmed publisher..We suggest a new approach to training and support for facilitators is required if participatory interventions are to be delivered at scale, as they must be. ..
- Idema C, Harris B, Ogunbanjo G, Durrheim D. Neonatal tetanus elimination in Mpumalanga Province, South Africa. Trop Med Int Health. 2002;7:622-4 pubmed
- Swanepoel D, Ebrahim S, Joseph A, Friedland P. Newborn hearing screening in a South African private health care hospital. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2007;71:881-7 pubmed..Initial referral rates and prevalence data indicate a large hearing loss burden and the capacity to implement increasingly efficient programs in South Africa. ..
- Swanepoel D, Storbeck C, Friedland P. Early hearing detection and intervention in South Africa. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2009;73:783-6 pubmed publisher..This report provides a review of the available evidence on infant hearing loss and the status of current early hearing detection and intervention services in South Africa. ..
- Seedat M, van Niekerk A, Jewkes R, Suffla S, Ratele K. Violence and injuries in South Africa: prioritising an agenda for prevention. Lancet. 2009;374:1011-1022 pubmed publisher..Successful prevention of violence and injury is contingent on identification by the government of violence as a strategic priority and development of an intersectoral plan based on empirically driven programmes and policies. ..
- Scheibe A, Makapela D, Brown B, dos Santos M, Hariga F, Virk H, et al. HIV prevalence and risk among people who inject drugs in five South African cities. Int J Drug Policy. 2016;30:107-15 pubmed publisher..Programmes for PWID should also address the specific needs of female PWID, PWID who sell sex and PWID from previously disadvantaged communities. ..
- Dzhivhuho G, Nangammbi T, Samie A. Association of interleukin-8 gene polymorphisms in HIV patients with opportunistic infections in Limpopo Province, South Africa. Genet Mol Res. 2016;15:15017466 pubmed publisher..009). The present study suggests that different IL-8 genotypes are associated with resistance to various OIs. However, further studies using larger samples sizes are needed to confirm this hypothesis. ..
- Allanson E, Vogel J, TunÃ§alp Ó, Gardosi J, Pattinson R, Francis A, et al. Application of ICD-PM to preterm-related neonatal deaths in South Africa and United Kingdom. BJOG. 2016;123:2029-2036 pubmed publisher..ICD-PM can be used to appraise the maternal and newborn conditions contributing to preterm deaths, and can inform practice. ICD-PM can be used to appraise maternal and newborn contributors to preterm deaths to improve quality of care. ..
- Coetzee L. Legal liability for failure to prevent pregnancy (wrongful pregnancy). S Afr Med J. 2017;107:394-398 pubmed publisher..Conduct that could expose practitioners to liability is identified from reported cases and inferred from general principles laid down in case law. ..
- Jewkes R, Abrahams N. The epidemiology of rape and sexual coercion in South Africa: an overview. Soc Sci Med. 2002;55:1231-44 pubmed..International comparison needs to be approached with caution because most developing countries lack the infrastructure for accurate crime reporting and do not have such a substantial body of survey data. ..
- van Niekerk M, Freeman M, Paweska J, Howell P, Guthrie A, Potgieter A, et al. Variation in the NS3 gene and protein in South African isolates of bluetongue and equine encephalosis viruses. J Gen Virol. 2003;84:581-90 pubmed..The geographical distribution of these isolates may be related to the distribution of the Culicoides subspecies that transmit them. ..
- van Zyl L, Coutinho T, Wingfield M. Morphological, cultural and pathogenic characteristics of Coniothyrium zuluense isolates from different plantation regions in South Africa. Mycopathologia. 2002;155:149-53 pubmed..Variation in morphology and pathogenicity amongst isolates suggests that C. zuluense has been present in South Africa for an extended period of time, or that it is changing rapidly due to strong directional selection pressures. ..
- Jewkes R, Gumede T, Westaway M, Dickson K, Brown H, Rees H. Why are women still aborting outside designated facilities in metropolitan South Africa?. BJOG. 2005;112:1236-42 pubmed..The willingness of women to self-medicate and visit traditional healers in these circumstances may influence the overall ability of the new legislation to reduce abortion morbidity. ..
- Pattinson R, Bergh A, Malan A, Prinsloo R. Does kangaroo mother care save lives?. J Trop Pediatr. 2006;52:438-41 pubmed..76/1000 live births after KMC had been introduced (RR 0.62; 95% CI 0.53-0.73). The large and significant reduction in the NNDR of neonates weighing between 1000 and 1999 g was associated with the introduction of KMC. ..
- Nicolson S, Human H. Bees get a head start on honey production. Biol Lett. 2008;4:299-301 pubmed publisher..This has implications for honeybee thermoregulation, water balance and energetics during foraging, and for the communication of nectar quality to recruits. ..
- Molokwane P, Meli K, Nkhalambayausi Chirwa E. Chromium (VI) reduction in activated sludge bacteria exposed to high chromium loading: Brits culture (South Africa). Water Res. 2008;42:4538-48 pubmed publisher..All Cr(VI) reduced was accounted for as Cr(III) with a small error range (2-6%). ..
- Swanepoel D, Almec N. Maternal views on infant hearing loss and early intervention in a South African community. Int J Audiol. 2008;47 Suppl 1:S44-8 pubmed publisher..The study demonstrates a need for increased maternal awareness regarding infant hearing loss but also a readiness for implementation of EHDI programs. ..
- Pavlic D, Slippers B, Coutinho T, Wingfield M. Molecular and phenotypic characterization of three phylogenetic species discovered within the Neofisicoccum parvum/N. ribis complex. Mycologia. 2009;101:636-47 pubmed..ribis with N. kwambonambiense being the most aggressive. This study resolved long-standing questions of identity of species within N. parvum/N. ribis complex and lays a foundation for further studies on this group of pathogens. ..
- Hassim S, Shaw P, Sangweni P, Malan L, Ntshani E, Mathibedi M, et al. Detection of a substantial rate of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in an HIV-infected population in South Africa by active monitoring of sputum samples. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50:1053-9 pubmed publisher..6% of culture-positive patients. Better management strategies are needed to reduce the development of MDR TB, because so many of these patients had received prior antituberculous therapy that was presumably not curative. ..
- Mohamed S, van der Merwe E, Altermann W, Doucet F. Process development for elemental recovery from PGM tailings by thermochemical treatment: Preliminary major element extraction studies using ammonium sulphate as extracting agent. Waste Manag. 2016;50:334-45 pubmed publisher..Further development of this integrated process, which aims at achieving the full potential of utilisation of PGM tailings, is currently underway. ..
- Eguzozie K, Mavumengwana V, Nkosi D, Kayitesi E, Nnabuo Eguzozie E. Bioaccumulation and Quantitative Variations of Microcystins in the Swartspruit River, South Africa. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2016;71:286-96 pubmed publisher..05) and significant difference between mean MCs concentrations across sampling sites (PÂ <Â 0.05). ..
- Prabdial Sing N, Blackard J, Puren A, Mahomed A, Abuelhassan W, Mahlangu J, et al. Naturally occurring resistance mutations within the core and NS5B regions in hepatitis C genotypes, particularly genotype 5a, in South Africa. Antiviral Res. 2016;127:90-8 pubmed publisher..This study provides new insight into one of the lesser studied HCV genotypes and compares the diversity seen in a large pre-treatment cohort with other subtypes. ..
- Allanson E, TunÃ§alp Ã, Gardosi J, Pattinson R, Francis A, Vogel J, et al. The WHO application of ICD-10 to deaths during the perinatal period (ICD-PM): results from pilot database testing in South Africa and United Kingdom. BJOG. 2016;123:2019-2028 pubmed publisher..ICD-PM is a global system that classifies perinatal deaths and links them to maternal conditions. ..
- Oberholster P, Myburgh J, Govender D, Bengis R, Botha A. Identification of toxigenic Microcystis strains after incidents of wild animal mortalities in the Kruger National Park, South Africa. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2009;72:1177-82 pubmed publisher..In this study the presence of toxic cyanobacterial strains was confirmed with the use of molecular markers that detected the presence of the mcy gene cluster responsible for the production of toxin by M. aeruginosa. ..
- van der Heijden E, Jenkins A, Cooper D, Rutten V, Michel A. Field application of immunoassays for the detection of Mycobacterium bovis infection in the African buffalo (Syncerus caffer). Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2016;169:68-73 pubmed publisher..Out of the 21 SICTT negative animals, 7 animals showed responsiveness in the B2G or IDEXX TB ELISA. In conclusion, this study has shown that the BOVIGAMÂ® IFN-Î³ assay had the highest test performance. ..
- Mahomed Asmail F, Swanepoel D, Eikelboom R. Hearing loss in urban South African school children (grade 1 to 3). Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2016;84:27-31 pubmed publisher..2%) are in need of some form of follow-up services, most for medical intervention (1.2%) with a smaller population requiring audiological intervention (0.4%). ..
- Webber L. Bloodborne viruses and occupational exposure in the dental setting. SADJ. 2000;55:494-6 pubmed..Although post-exposure prophylaxis can be prescribed after exposure to either or both these viruses, universal precautions and strategies must be implemented in order to protect the oral health care professional. ..
- Wichmann J, Voyi K. Influence of cooking and heating fuel use on 1-59 month old mortality in South Africa. Matern Child Health J. 2006;10:553-61 pubmed
- Heath R, Wingfield M, van Wyk M, Roux J. Insect associates of Ceratocystis albifundus and patterns of association in a native savanna ecosystem in South Africa. Environ Entomol. 2009;38:356-64 pubmed..This study presents the first record of insects associated with C. albifundus and C. oblonga and provides an indication of environmental influences on fungal and insect populations, which could contribute to future disease management. ..
- Brady C, Venter S, Cleenwerck I, Engelbeen K, Vancanneyt M, Swings J, et al. Pantoea vagans sp. nov., Pantoea eucalypti sp. nov., Pantoea deleyi sp. nov. and Pantoea anthophila sp. nov. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2009;59:2339-45 pubmed publisher..nov. (type strain R-25678T=LMG 24197T=BCC 076T=BD 769T), Pantoea deleyi sp. nov. (type strain R-31523T=LMG 24200T=BCC 109T=BD 767T) and Pantoea anthophila sp. nov. (type strain LMG 2558T=BD 871T=NCPPB 1682T) are proposed. ..
- Taylor M, Walter J, Berke T, Cubitt W, Mitchell D, Matson D. Characterisation of a South African human astrovirus as type 8 by antigenic and genetic analyses. J Med Virol. 2001;64:256-61 pubmed..This study confirms, by both antigenic and genetic analyses, that HAstV-8 represents a distinct antigenic and genotype and is the first report of a HAstV-8 from a hospitalised paediatric patient with diarrhoea in southern Africa. ..
- Meyer J, Rakuambo N, Hussein A. Novel xanthones from Securidaca longepedunculata with activity against erectile dysfunction. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;119:599-603 pubmed publisher..The aim of the study was to isolate and identify the active constituents and to determine their activity in the relaxation of corpus cavernosal smooth muscle...
- Girdler Brown B, White N, Ehrlich R, Churchyard G. The burden of silicosis, pulmonary tuberculosis and COPD among former Basotho goldminers. Am J Ind Med. 2008;51:640-7 pubmed publisher..In labor sending communities investment is needed in silicosis and tuberculosis surveillance as well as HIV treatment and care. ..
- Moyo D, Zungu M, Kgalamono S, Mwila C. Review of Occupational Health and Safety Organization in Expanding Economies: The Case of Southern Africa. Ann Glob Health. 2015;81:495-502 pubmed publisher..Introducing short courses and foundational tracks in occupational medicine for general medical practitioners would be invaluable. ..
- Weber C. Understanding fragile X syndrome from a mother's perspective: Challenges and resilience. Int J Qual Stud Health Well-being. 2016;11:29512 pubmed publisher..Future research should concentrate on promoting awareness, education, advocacy, and support for individuals with FXS in South Africa. ..
- MAKIN J, Forsyth B, Visser M, Sikkema K, Neufeld S, Jeffery B. Factors affecting disclosure in South African HIV-positive pregnant women. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2008;22:907-16 pubmed publisher..84; CI 0.72-0.97). These results provide understanding of disclosure for women diagnosed as HIV positive in pregnancy, and identify variables that could be used to screen for women who require help. ..
- Kent R, Yazbek M, Heyns T, Coetzee I. The support needs of high-risk antenatal patients in prolonged hospitalisation. Midwifery. 2015;31:164-9 pubmed publisher..Through reflection on these themes, recommendations can be made and strategies implemented to meet the support needs of high-risk antenatal patients. ..
- Lundberg T, Biagio de Jager L, Swanepoel D, Laurent C. Diagnostic accuracy of a general practitioner with video-otoscopy collected by a health care facilitator compared to traditional otoscopy. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;99:49-53 pubmed publisher..70 and 0.80). Video-otoscopy performed by a health care facilitator and assessed asynchronously by a general practitioner had similar or better accuracy compared to face-to-face otoscopy performed by a general practitioner. ..
- L Abbé E, Loots M, Meiring J. The Pretoria Bone Collection: a modern South African skeletal sample. Homo. 2005;56:197-205 pubmed..This paper presents information on the composition of this collection and hopes to heighten both national and international awareness of the collection and research opportunities in South Africa...
- Abolnik C, Bisschop S, Gerdes G, Olivier A, Horner R. Phylogenetic analysis of low-pathogenicity avian influenza H6N2 viruses from chicken outbreaks (2001-2005) suggest that they are reassortants of historic ostrich low-pathogenicity avian influenza H9N2 and H6N8 viruses. Avian Dis. 2007;51:279-84 pubmed..Ostriches, in which AI infections are often subclinical, may serve as mixing vessels for LPAI strains that occasionally spill over into other poultry...
- Stutzer C, Mans B, Gaspar A, Neitz A, Maritz Olivier C. Ornithodoros savignyi: soft tick apyrase belongs to the 5'-nucleotidase family. Exp Parasitol. 2009;122:318-27 pubmed publisher..savignyi. These results represent the first confirmation of a soft (argasid) tick apyrase that belongs to the 5'-nucleotidase family of enzymes...
- Espie I, Hlokwe T, Gey van Pittius N, Lane E, Tordiffe A, Michel A, et al. Pulmonary infection due to Mycobacterium bovis in a black rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis minor) in South Africa. J Wildl Dis. 2009;45:1187-93 pubmed..Effective diagnostics are urgently needed for different animal species, such as white or black rhinoceroses, to certify with a reasonable degree of certainty that these animals are free of tuberculosis in natural habitats...
- Osorio J, de Beer Z, Wingfield M, Roux J. Ophiostomatoid fungi associated with mangroves in South Africa, including Ophiostoma palustre sp. nov. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek. 2016;109:1555-1571 pubmed..nov. These results suggest that the mangrove associate B. racemosa is more prone to colonization by ophiostomatoid fungi than the true mangroves. ..
- Millman A, Greenbaum A, Walaza S, Cohen A, Groome M, Reed C, et al. Development of a respiratory severity score for hospitalized adults in a high HIV-prevalence setting-South Africa, 2010-2011. BMC Pulm Med. 2017;17:28 pubmed publisher..This score can quantify in-hospital mortality risk in an HIV-endemic, resource-limited setting with limited clinical information and if used to facilitate timely treatment may improve clinical outcomes. ..
- Carte A, Anderson R, Cooper M. A large group of children struck by lightning. Ann Emerg Med. 2002;39:665-70 pubmed..Many of these injuries occurred more frequently than would be expected from prior large reviews and reports...
- Bernitz H, Kloppers B. Comparison microscope identification of a cheese bitemark: a case report. J Forensic Odontostomatol. 2002;20:13-6 pubmed..Individual features observed under 6.3x magnification aided in the positive identification of the suspect, who when confronted with the evidence, admitted guilt at his first court appearance...
- Pavlov D, van Zyl W, van Heerden J, Grabow W, Ehlers M. Prevalence of vaccine-derived polioviruses in sewage and river water in South Africa. Water Res. 2005;39:3309-19 pubmed..In conclusion, this study provided new and relevant information on the prevalence of "suspected" VDPVs in sewage and river water, and opened the way to assess the possible broader significance of the findings reported here. ..
- Fritz E, Slavik T, Delport W, Olivier B, van der Merwe S. Incidence of Helicobacter felis and the effect of coinfection with Helicobacter pylori on the gastric mucosa in the African population. J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44:1692-6 pubmed..The incidences of H. felis and coinfection with H. pylori in the African population are high. H. felis infection, however, does not influence specific gastric pathology in this population...
- Momtaz S, Mapunya B, Houghton P, Edgerly C, Hussein A, Naidoo S, et al. Tyrosinase inhibition by extracts and constituents of Sideroxylon inerme L. stem bark, used in South Africa for skin lightening. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;119:507-12 pubmed publisher..To investigate the stem bark of Sideroxylon inerme L. and its compounds for tyrosinase-inhibition activity and to evaluate the mechanism involved of the most potent compounds in tyrosinase inhibition...
- Bertschinger H, Meltzer D, van Dyk A. Captive breeding of cheetahs in South Africa--30 years of data from the de Wildt Cheetah and Wildlife Centre. Reprod Domest Anim. 2008;43 Suppl 2:66-73 pubmed publisher..596. The data from the de Wildt Cheetah and Wildlife Centre and two other centres in the world (Kapama and Wassenaar) demonstrate that cheetah can be bred successfully in captivity...
- Fouche G, Cragg G, Pillay P, Kolesnikova N, Maharaj V, Senabe J. In vitro anticancer screening of South African plants. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;119:455-61 pubmed publisher..Based on our data, it appears that unrelated medicinal use of the source plants may serve as an initial guide to selection of plants for anticancer screening. ..
- Ehlers M, Veldsman C, Makgotlho E, Dove M, Hoosen A, Kock M. Detection of blaSHV, blaTEM and blaCTX-M antibiotic resistance genes in randomly selected bacterial pathogens from the Steve Biko Academic Hospital. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2009;56:191-6 pubmed publisher..8% in Denmark for similar pathogens. These research findings indicated that it is crucial to routinely monitor the prevalence of these resistance genes. ..
- Peltzer K. Patient experiences and health system responsiveness in South Africa. BMC Health Serv Res. 2009;9:117 pubmed publisher..Health care access, communication, autonomy, and discriminatory experiences were identified as priority areas for actions to improve responsiveness of health care services in South Africa. ..
- Bennett J, Naude D, de Villiers J. Recurrence of two myocardial aneurysms infected with tuberculosis after a previous aneurysmectomy. Clin Cardiol. 1989;12:605-6 pubmed..The patient had a recurrence of the aneurysm and, at reoperation, the diagnosis of cardiac tuberculosis was made...
- van Wyk P, Louw A, du Plessis J. Caries status and treatment needs in South Africa: report of the 1999-2002 National Children's Oral Health Survey. SADJ. 2004;59:238, 240-2 pubmed..A third national children's oral health survey was conducted in South Africa between July 1999 and June 2002...
- Jewkes R, Rees H, Dickson K, Brown H, Levin J. The impact of age on the epidemiology of incomplete abortions in South Africa after legislative change. BJOG. 2005;112:355-9 pubmed..This article examines the impact of age on the epidemiology of incomplete abortion after legislative change. It draws comparison with the findings of a similar study undertaken in 1994...
- Sabeta C, Markotter W, Mohale D, Shumba W, Wandeler A, Nel L. Mokola virus in domestic mammals, South Africa. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:1371-3 pubmed publisher..Our findings emphasize the endemicity of rabies-related lyssaviruses in South Africa and the need to better understand the epidemiology of Mokola viruses...
- Tempia S, Wolter N, Cohen C, Walaza S, von Mollendorf C, Cohen A, et al. Assessing the impact of pneumococcal conjugate vaccines on invasive pneumococcal disease using polymerase chain reaction-based surveillance: an experience from South Africa. BMC Infect Dis. 2015;15:450 pubmed publisher..Until PCR methods improve further, culture methods should continue to be used to monitor the effects of PCV vaccination programs on IPD incidence. ..
- Geyser M, Smith S. Chest pain prevalence, causes, and disposition in the emergency department of a regional hospital in Pretoria. Afr J Prim Health Care Fam Med. 2016;8:e1-5 pubmed publisher..Health workers should therefore pay special attention to respiratory conditions during diagnosis and management in African patients with acute chest pain. ..
- Nkosi S, Rich E, Kekwaletswe C, Morojele N. Experiences of alcohol consumption and taking antiretroviral medication among men living with HIV in Tshwane, South Africa. Afr J AIDS Res. 2016;15:367-376 pubmed..Patient-centred approaches which enhance men's sense of involvement in their treatment are needed in healthcare settings. ..
- dos Santos M, Wolvaardt G. Integrated intervention for mental health co-morbidity in HIV-positive individuals: A public health assessment. Afr J AIDS Res. 2016;15:325-331 pubmed
- Groome M, Koen A, Fix A, Page N, Jose L, Madhi S, et al. Safety and immunogenicity of a parenteral P2-VP8-P subunit rotavirus vaccine in toddlers and infants in South Africa: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017;17:843-853 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these results, a phase 1/2 trial of a trivalent P2-VP8 (P, P, and P) subunit vaccine is underway at three sites in South Africa. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. ..
- Benson F, Musekiwa A, Blumberg L, Rispel L. Comparing laboratory surveillance with the notifiable diseases surveillance system in South Africa. Int J Infect Dis. 2017;59:141-147 pubmed publisher..Compared to laboratory surveillance, the NDSS performed poorly on most system attributes. Revitalization of the NDSS in South Africa is recommended to address the completeness, stability, and representativeness of the system. ..
- Puozaa D, Jaiswal S, Dakora F. African origin of Bradyrhizobium populations nodulating Bambara groundnut (Vigna subterranea L. Verdc) in Ghanaian and South African soils. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184943 pubmed publisher..The results also showed that a cropping history and physico-chemical environment of soils increased bradyrhizobial diversity in Ghana and South Africa. ..
- Tshikalange T, Meyer J, Hussein A. Antimicrobial activity, toxicity and the isolation of a bioactive compound from plants used to treat sexually transmitted diseases. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005;96:515-9 pubmed..The results of the antimicrobial screening support the ethnomedicinal uses of these plants to some extent. ..
- Pavlov D, Van Zyl W, Kruger M, Blignaut L, Grabow W, Ehlers M. Poliovirus vaccine strains detected in stool specimens of immunodeficient children in South Africa. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2006;54:23-30 pubmed..Therefore, the information obtained in this study would be essential for strategies aimed at the protection of both immunodeficient as well as immunocompetent individuals against complications of vaccination with OPV. ..
- Cameron E, du Toit J. Winning by a neck: tall giraffes avoid competing with shorter browsers. Am Nat. 2007;169:130-5 pubmed..This provides the first experimental support for the classic evolutionary hypothesis that vertical elongation of the giraffe body is an outcome of competition within the browsing ungulate guild. ..
- Ayo Yusuf O, Reddy P, van Wyk P, van den Borne B. Household smoking as a risk indicator for caries in adolescents' permanent teeth. J Adolesc Health. 2007;41:309-11 pubmed..The results suggest that HHM smoking may be a risk indicator for caries in adolescents' permanent teeth...
- Peltzer K, Preez N, Ramlagan S, Fomundam H. Use of traditional complementary and alternative medicine for HIV patients in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. BMC Public Health. 2008;8:255 pubmed publisher..Health care providers should routinely screen patients on TCAM use when initiating ART and also during follow-up and monitoring keeping in mind that these patients may not fully disclose other therapies. ..
- Tshikalange T, Meyer J, Lall N, Munoz E, Sancho R, van de Venter M, et al. In vitro anti-HIV-1 properties of ethnobotanically selected South African plants used in the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;119:478-81 pubmed publisher..The acetone and chloroform extracts of E. transvaalense and Zanthoxylum davyi also showed good activity in the NF-kappaB and Tat assays. ..
- Bornman J, Alant E, Du Preez A. Translucency and learnability of Blissymbols in Setswana-speaking children: an exploration. Augment Altern Commun. 2009;25:287-98 pubmed publisher..study reveal that the translucency ratings of the majority of the selected Blissymbols ranged from moderate to high for all three studies, but that the distribution of symbols across the ratings appears to be different. ..