Experts and Doctors on plant extracts in Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Locale: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Topic: plant extracts
- Viljoen A, Mncwangi N, Vermaak I. Anti-inflammatory iridoids of botanical origin. Curr Med Chem. 2012;19:2104-27 pubmed..The paper aims to present a summary for the most prominent iridoid-containing plants for which anti-inflammatory activity has been demonstrated in vitro and / or in vivo. ..
- Mehrbod P, Abdalla M, Njoya E, Ahmed A, Fotouhi F, Farahmand B, et al. South African medicinal plant extracts active against influenza A virus. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2018;18:112 pubmed publisher..However, Tabernaemontana ventricosa, Cussonia spicata and Clerodendrum glabrum leaf extracts were ineffective in vitro in this study. ..
- Martini N, Katerere D, Eloff J. Biological activity of five antibacterial flavonoids from Combretum erythrophyllum (Combretaceae). J Ethnopharmacol. 2004;93:207-12 pubmed..Although these flavonoids are known, this is the first report of biological activity with several of these compounds...
- Tabit F, Komolafe N, Tshikalange T, Nyila M. Phytochemical Constituents and Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Activity of Selected Plants Used Traditionally as a Source of Food. J Med Food. 2016;19:324-9 pubmed publisher..birrea and G. livingstonei were the most active against all the tested foodborne bacteria. ..
- Kapewangolo P, Hussein A, Meyer D. Inhibition of HIV-1 enzymes, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of Plectranthus barbatus. J Ethnopharmacol. 2013;149:184-90 pubmed publisher..Plectranthus barbatus is widely used in African countries as an herbal remedy to manage HIV/AIDS and related conditions...
- Adamu M, Naidoo V, Eloff J. Efficacy and toxicity of thirteen plant leaf acetone extracts used in ethnoveterinary medicine in South Africa on egg hatching and larval development of Haemonchus contortus. BMC Vet Res. 2013;9:38 pubmed publisher..Cytotoxicity of these extracts was also evaluated using the MTT cellular assay...
- Tshikalange T, Meyer J, Hussein A. Antimicrobial activity, toxicity and the isolation of a bioactive compound from plants used to treat sexually transmitted diseases. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005;96:515-9 pubmed..The results of the antimicrobial screening support the ethnomedicinal uses of these plants to some extent. ..
- Mapunya M, Hussein A, Rodriguez B, Lall N. Tyrosinase activity of Greyia flanaganii (Bolus) constituents. Phytomedicine. 2011;18:1006-12 pubmed publisher..All compounds tested showed good radical scavenging activity. These data indicates that G. flanaganii extract and its isolated phenolic constituents could be possible skin lightening agents. ..
- Deutschländer M, Lall N, van de Venter M, Hussein A. Hypoglycemic evaluation of a new triterpene and other compounds isolated from Euclea undulata Thunb. var. myrtina (Ebenaceae) root bark. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011;133:1091-5 pubmed publisher..myrtina, which is used by traditional healers in the Venda area, Limpopo Province in the treatment of diabetes...
- Nyila M, Leonard C, Hussein A, Lall N. Bioactivities of Plectranthus ecklonii constituents. Nat Prod Commun. 2009;4:1177-80 pubmed..9 microg/mL and 1.6 microg/mL, respectively. This is the first report of the bioactivity of P. ecklonii extract and its constituents...
- Tshikalange T, Meyer J, Lall N, Munoz E, Sancho R, van de Venter M, et al. In vitro anti-HIV-1 properties of ethnobotanically selected South African plants used in the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;119:478-81 pubmed publisher..The acetone and chloroform extracts of E. transvaalense and Zanthoxylum davyi also showed good activity in the NF-kappaB and Tat assays. ..
- Fouche G, Cragg G, Pillay P, Kolesnikova N, Maharaj V, Senabe J. In vitro anticancer screening of South African plants. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;119:455-61 pubmed publisher..Based on our data, it appears that unrelated medicinal use of the source plants may serve as an initial guide to selection of plants for anticancer screening. ..
- Momtaz S, Mapunya B, Houghton P, Edgerly C, Hussein A, Naidoo S, et al. Tyrosinase inhibition by extracts and constituents of Sideroxylon inerme L. stem bark, used in South Africa for skin lightening. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;119:507-12 pubmed publisher..To investigate the stem bark of Sideroxylon inerme L. and its compounds for tyrosinase-inhibition activity and to evaluate the mechanism involved of the most potent compounds in tyrosinase inhibition...
- Dias A, Bester M, Britz R, Apostolides Z. Animal models used for the evaluation of antiretroviral therapies. Curr HIV Res. 2006;4:431-46 pubmed
- Momtaz S, Hussein A, Ostad S, Abdollahi M, Lall N. Growth inhibition and induction of apoptosis in human cancerous HeLa cells by Maytenus procumbens. Food Chem Toxicol. 2013;51:38-45 pubmed publisher..Conclusion is that the active components in L.M.P might serve as a mediator of the ROS scavenging system and have the potential to act as prooxidant or antioxidant depending on the biological environment of the cells...
- Pillay P, Vleggaar R, Maharaj V, Smith P, Lategan C. Isolation and identification of antiplasmodial sesquiterpene lactones from Oncosiphon piluliferum. J Ethnopharmacol. 2007;112:71-6 pubmed..Structure-activity relationships were assessed. ..
- Elisha I, Jambalang A, Botha F, Buys E, McGaw L, Eloff J. Potency and selectivity indices of acetone leaf extracts of nine selected South African trees against six opportunistic Enterobacteriaceae isolates from commercial chicken eggs. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:90 pubmed publisher..triflora extracts suggests that the plant has potential as a therapeutic agent against some members of the Enterobacteriaceae. Further pharmacological investigations may be interesting in the search for new antimicrobial leads. ..