Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on synapses in Seoul, South Korea
Locale: Seoul, South Korea
- Han J, Lim C, Lee Y, Kandel E, Kaang B. Role of Aplysia cell adhesion molecules during 5-HT-induced long-term functional and structural changes. Learn Mem. 2004;11:421-35 pubmed..Thus, our data suggest that TM-apCAM may act as a suppressor of both synaptic-strength enhancement in pre-existing synapses and of new synaptic varicosity formation in the nonsynaptic region, via different mechanisms. ..
- Cho E, Hwang J, Han S, Chung S, Koh J, Lee J. Endogenous zinc mediates apoptotic programmed cell death in the developing brain. Neurotox Res. 2010;17:156-66 pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrates that intracellular zinc acts as a key mediator of developmental apoptosis and therefore provides the first in vivo evidence that endogenous labile zinc causes neuronal apoptosis. ..
- Huh Y, Oh M, LeBlanc P, Kim K. Gene transfer in the nervous system and implications for transsynaptic neuronal tracing. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2010;10:763-72 pubmed publisher..Also, this can provide a good marker for evaluation of therapeutic effects of neuroprotective or neurotrophic agents. ..
- Chang D, Lim C, Lee J, Kaang B. Synaptic facilitation by ectopic octopamine and 5-HT receptors in Aplysia. Brain Res Bull. 2003;60:73-9 pubmed..These results imply that the role of cAMP in synaptic facilitation is reduced as the synapse becomes depressed due to repeated activity. ..
- Jeong D, Chang W, Hwang Y, Lee D, Chang J. Decrease of GABAergic markers and arc protein expression in the frontal cortex by intraventricular 192 IgG-saporin. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2011;32:70-8 pubmed publisher..Spatial memory impairment was associated with cholinergic basal forebrain injury as well as frontocortical GABAergic hypofunction and synaptic plasticity deceleration. ..
- Choi D, Lee K, Kim J, Kim M, Lim J, Lee J. Effect of 710 nm visible light irradiation on neurite outgrowth in primary rat cortical neurons following ischemic insult. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;422:274-9 pubmed publisher..05). Our data suggest that LED treatment may promote synaptogenesis through MAPK activation and subsequently protect cell death in the in vitro stroke model. ..
- Kim H, Jeon J, Koo T, Lee U, Jeong E, Chun M, et al. Axonal synapses utilize multiple synaptic ribbons in the mammalian retina. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52295 pubmed publisher..The presence of multiple ribbons and a broad postsynaptic density suggest these structures may be very efficient synapses. We also identified axonal inputs to ipRGCs with the architecture described above. ..
- Hong S, Kim M, Ahn S. Glutamatergic transmission is sustained at a later period of development of medial nucleus of the trapezoid body-lateral superior olive synapses in circling mice. J Neurosci. 2008;28:13003-7 pubmed publisher..No significant difference was found in the immunoreactivity of NR2B-type NMDAR. These results indicate that glutamatergic transmission is sustained at a later period of developing MNTB-LSO synapses in homozygous (cir/cir) mice. ..
- Hwang J, Park M, Choi S, Koh J. Activation of the Trk signaling pathway by extracellular zinc. Role of metalloproteinases. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:11995-2001 pubmed..These results suggest that activity-dependent release of extracellular zinc leads to metalloproteinase activation, which plays a critically important role in Trk receptor activation at zinc-containing synapses. ..
- Lee K, Kim Y, Lee S, Qiang Y, Lee D, Lee H, et al. MDGAs interact selectively with neuroligin-2 but not other neuroligins to regulate inhibitory synapse development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:336-41 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that MDGAs inhibit the activity of neuroligin-2 in controlling the function of inhibitory synapses and that MDGAs do so by binding to neuroligin-2. ..
- Um J, Choi T, Kang H, Cho Y, Choii G, Uvarov P, et al. LRRTM3 Regulates Excitatory Synapse Development through Alternative Splicing and Neurexin Binding. Cell Rep. 2016;14:808-822 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data highlight alternative splicing and differential presynaptic ligand utilization in the regulation of LRRTMs, revealing key regulatory mechanisms for excitatory synapse development. ..
- Han K, Woo J, Park H, Yoon B, Choi S, Lee C. Channel-mediated astrocytic glutamate release via Bestrophin-1 targets synaptic NMDARs. Mol Brain. 2013;6:4 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that astrocytic glutamate via Best1 channel targets and activates synaptic NMDARs. ..
- Oh S, D Angelo I, Lee E, Chun M, Brecha N. Distribution and synaptic connectivity of neuropeptide Y-immunoreactive amacrine cells in the rat retina. J Comp Neurol. 2002;446:219-34 pubmed..These observations suggest that NPY-immunoreactive cells participate in multiple circuits mediating visual information processing in the inner retina. ..
- Ryu J, Zhang R, Hong B, Yang E, Kang K, Choi M, et al. Phloroglucinol attenuates motor functional deficits in an animal model of Parkinson's disease by enhancing Nrf2 activity. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71178 pubmed publisher..e., catalase and glutathione peroxidase, in 6-OHDA-treated cells. Taken together, phloroglucinol has a therapeutic potential for treatment of PD. ..
- Um J, Choii G, Park D, Kim D, Jeon S, Kang H, et al. IQ Motif and SEC7 Domain-containing Protein 3 (IQSEC3) Interacts with Gephyrin to Promote Inhibitory Synapse Formation. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:10119-30 pubmed publisher..Conversely, knockdown of IQSEC3 decreases size of gephyrin cluster without altering gephyrin puncta density. Collectively, these data reveal that IQSEC3 acts together with gephyrin to regulate inhibitory synapse development...
- Hong I, Kim J, Song B, Park K, Shin K, Eom K, et al. Fear conditioning occludes late-phase long-term potentiation at thalamic input synapses onto the lateral amygdala in rat brain slices. Neurosci Lett. 2012;506:121-5 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that fear conditioning recruits L-LTP-like mechanisms that are reversible and saturable at T-LA synapses. ..
- Park H, Rhee J, Park K, Han J, Malinow R, Chung C. Exposure to Stressors Facilitates Long-Term Synaptic Potentiation in the Lateral Habenula. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6021-6030 pubmed publisher..LTP induction results in a further increase in the density of pCREB-expressing neurons only after stress exposure. Our study provides the first evidence that animal models of depression exhibit altered synaptic plasticity of the LHb. ..
- Lee J, Cole T, Palmiter R, Suh S, Koh J. Contribution by synaptic zinc to the gender-disparate plaque formation in human Swedish mutant APP transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:7705-10 pubmed..Hence, of endogenous metals, synaptic zinc contributes predominantly to amyloid deposition in hAPP(+) mice. ..
- Kim J, Song B, Hong I, Kim J, Lee J, Park S, et al. Reactivation of fear memory renders consolidated amygdala synapses labile. J Neurosci. 2010;30:9631-40 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that, upon memory reactivation, consolidated T-LA synapses enter a temporary labile state, displaying insensitivity to mGluRI-depotentiation. ..
- Lee S, Choi J, Lee N, Lee H, Kim J, Yu N, et al. Synaptic protein degradation underlies destabilization of retrieved fear memory. Science. 2008;319:1253-6 pubmed publisher..It also provides strong evidence for the existence of reorganization processes whereby preexisting memory is disrupted by protein degradation, and updated memory is reconsolidated by protein synthesis. ..
- Kang Y, Sun B, Park Y, Park C, Jin Y. GABA(A) and GABA(B) receptors have opposite effects on synaptic glutamate release on the nucleus tractus solitarii neurons. Neuroscience. 2012;209:39-46 pubmed publisher..These findings provide cellular mechanisms of heterosynaptic GABA-glutamate integration of peripheral visceral afferent signals in the NTS. ..
- Kao H, Ryoo K, Lin A, Janoschka S, Augustine G, Porton B. Synapsins regulate brain-derived neurotrophic factor-mediated synaptic potentiation and axon elongation by acting on membrane rafts. Eur J Neurosci. 2017;45:1085-1101 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal a mechanistic link between BDNF and synapsins, impacting early development and synaptic transmission...
- Lee S, Kim Y, Han J, Park H, Lee U, Na M, et al. nArgBP2 regulates excitatory synapse formation by controlling dendritic spine morphology. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:6749-54 pubmed publisher..They also raise the possibility that the aberrant regulation of synaptic actin filaments caused by reduced nArgBP2 expression may contribute to the manifestation of the synaptic dysfunction observed in manic/bipolar disorder. ..
- Yoon K, Lee H, Jo Y, An K, Jung S, Jeong M, et al. Mind bomb-1 is an essential modulator of long-term memory and synaptic plasticity via the Notch signaling pathway. Mol Brain. 2012;5:40 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Mib1-mediated Notch signaling is essential for long-lasting synaptic plasticity and memory formation in the rodent hippocampus. ..
- Li E, Kim D, Cai M, Lee S, Kim Y, Lim E, et al. Hippocampus-dependent spatial learning and memory are impaired in growth hormone-deficient spontaneous dwarf rats. Endocr J. 2011;58:257-67 pubmed..The behavioral deficits in the SDRs may be explained by altered basal forebrain cholinergic innervation, imbalance in hippocampal glutamatergic/GABAergic synapses, and decreased neurogenesis in the hippocampus. ..
- Lee M, Paik S, Lee M, Kim Y, Kim S, Nahm M, et al. Drosophila Atlastin regulates the stability of muscle microtubules and is required for synapse development. Dev Biol. 2009;330:250-62 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest that Atl controls synapse development and ER and Golgi morphogenesis by regulating microtubule stability. ..
- Rhyu I, Oda S, Uhm C, Kim H, Suh Y, Abbott L. Morphologic investigation of rolling mouse Nagoya (tg(rol)/tg(rol)) cerebellar Purkinje cells: an ataxic mutant, revisited. Neurosci Lett. 1999;266:49-52 pubmed..The correlation between the presence of altered Purkinje cell synapses and ataxia in rolling mice warrants further investigation. ..
- Lee S, Chang S. nArgBP2 as a hub molecule in the etiology of various neuropsychiatric disorders. BMB Rep. 2016;49:457-8 pubmed..BMB Reports 2016; 49(9): 457-458]. ..
- Kang B, Jo I, Eun S, Jo S. Cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase A and CREB are involved in neuregulin-induced synapse-specific expression of acetylcholine receptor gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;304:758-65 pubmed..In conclusion, neuregulin increases AChRdelta subunit gene transcription, in part, by the activation of PKA/CREB, an alternative route to the previously reported ERK signaling pathway. ..
- Kim I, Park S, Hong S, Jo Y, Kim E, Park E, et al. Inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate 3-kinase a functions as a scaffold for synaptic Rac signaling. J Neurosci. 2009;29:14039-49 pubmed publisher..These data support a novel model in which IP(3)K-A is critical for the spatial and temporal regulation of spine actin remodeling, synaptic plasticity, and learning and memory via an activity-dependent Rac scaffolding mechanism. ..
- Park E, Chi S, Park D. Activity-dependent modulation of the interaction between CaMKII? and Abi1 and its involvement in spine maturation. J Neurosci. 2012;32:13177-88 pubmed..Our results suggest that modulation of the interaction between Abi1 and CaMKII?, through the glutamate receptor pathway, may be a molecular mechanism underlying activity-regulated structural plasticity in rat hippocamapal neurons...
- Kim W, Park O, Choi S, Choi S, Park S, Lee K, et al. The maintenance of specific aspects of neuronal function and behavior is dependent on programmed cell death of adult-generated neurons in the dentate gyrus. Eur J Neurosci. 2009;29:1408-21 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the elimination of excess DG neurons via Bax-dependent PCD in the adult brain is required for the normal organization and function of the hippocampus. ..
- Nahm M, Long A, Paik S, Kim S, Bae Y, Broadie K, et al. The Cdc42-selective GAP rich regulates postsynaptic development and retrograde BMP transsynaptic signaling. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:661-75 pubmed publisher..Importantly, dRich increases Gbb release and elevates presynaptic phosphorylated Mad levels. We propose that dRich coordinates the Gbb-dependent modulation of synaptic growth and function with postsynaptic development. ..
- Lee K, Kim J, Kwon O, An K, Ryu J, Cho K, et al. An activity-regulated microRNA, miR-188, controls dendritic plasticity and synaptic transmission by downregulating neuropilin-2. J Neurosci. 2012;32:5678-5687 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that miR-188 serves to fine-tune synaptic plasticity by regulating Nrp-2 expression. ..
- Kam T, Song S, Gwon Y, Park H, Yan J, Im I, et al. Fc?RIIb mediates amyloid-? neurotoxicity and memory impairment in Alzheimer's disease. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:2791-802 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Fc?RIIb has an aberrant, but essential, role in A?-mediated neuronal dysfunction. ..
- Kim S, Jin Y, Kim J, Shin J, Worley P, Linden D. Transient upregulation of postsynaptic IP3-gated Ca release underlies short-term potentiation of metabotropic glutamate receptor 1 signaling in cerebellar Purkinje cells. J Neurosci. 2008;28:4350-5 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that transient upregulation of postsynaptic IP(3)-gated Ca signaling constitutes a novel form of short-term synaptic plasticity. ..
- Kim S, Doo A, Park J, Bae H, Chae Y, Shim I, et al. Acupuncture enhances the synaptic dopamine availability to improve motor function in a mouse model of Parkinson's disease. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27566 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the acupuncture-induced enhancement of synaptic dopamine availability may play a critical role in motor function improvement against MPTP. ..