Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on oxidoreductases in Seoul, South Korea
Locale: Seoul, South Korea
- Hwang C, Baek Y, Yim H, Kang S. Protective roles of mitochondrial manganese-containing superoxide dismutase against various stresses in Candida albicans. Yeast. 2003;20:929-41 pubmed..Taken together, these findings suggest that mitochondrial MnSOD is important for stress responses, lithium toxicity and cyanide-resistant respiration of C. albicans. ..
- Kwak T, Chang Y, Shin Y, Shin J, Kim J, Lim S, et al. Identification of a possible susceptibility locus for UVB-induced skin tanning phenotype in Korean females using genomewide association study. Exp Dermatol. 2015;24:942-6 pubmed publisher..WWOX represents a new candidate gene to evaluate the molecular basis of the UV-induced tanning ability in individuals. ..
- Lee B, Lee Y, Lee H, Stadtman E, Lee K, Chung N. Cloning and characterization of antioxidant enzyme methionine sulfoxide-S-reductase from Caenorhabditis elegans. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2005;434:275-81 pubmed..K(m) and k(cat) values for the enzyme were approximately 1.18 mM and 3.64 min(-1), respectively. Other kinetics properties of the enzyme were also evaluated. ..
- Kwon S, Kwon S, Bae M, Cho E, Park O. Role of the methionine sulfoxide reductase MsrB3 in cold acclimation in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell Physiol. 2007;48:1713-23 pubmed..It is also shown that MsrB3 is localized at the endoplasmic reticulum (ER). We propose that MsrB3 plays an important role in cold tolerance by eliminating MetO and ROS that accumulate at the ER during cold acclimation. ..
- Jeong K, Shin Y, Park S, Park J, Kim N, Um J, et al. Ethanol extract of Scutellaria baicalensis Georgi prevents oxidative damage and neuroinflammation and memorial impairments in artificial senescense mice. J Biomed Sci. 2011;18:14 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that SBG, especially high dose, 100 mg/kg, improved the memory impairments significantly and showed antioxidation, antiinflammation and intrinsic caspase-mediated apoptosis effects...
- Park H, Han E, Park D, Lee C, Lee K. An extract of Phellinus linteus grown on germinated brown rice inhibits inflammation markers in RAW264.7 macrophages by suppressing inflammatory cytokines, chemokines, and mediators and up-regulating antioxidant activity. J Med Food. 2010;13:1468-77 pubmed publisher..7 cells by virtue of its ability to suppress the production of inflammatory cytokines and chemokines via inhibition of MAPK activation and up-regulation of antioxidant activities. ..
- Chung W, Kim K, Roe J. Localization and function of three monothiol glutaredoxins in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;330:604-10 pubmed..Our results propose a distinct role for each glutaredoxin to maintain thiol redox balance, and hence the growth and stress resistance, of the fission yeast. ..
- Kim H, Schaller H, Goh C, Kwon M, Choe S, An C, et al. Arabidopsis cyp51 mutant shows postembryonic seedling lethality associated with lack of membrane integrity. Plant Physiol. 2005;138:2033-47 pubmed..Taken together, our results demonstrate that the Arabidopsis CYP51A2 gene encodes a functional obtusifoliol 14alpha-demethylase enzyme and plays an essential role in controlling plant growth and development by a sterol-specific pathway. ..
- Sakuraba Y, Kim Y, Yoo S, Hortensteiner S, Paek N. 7-Hydroxymethyl chlorophyll a reductase functions in metabolic channeling of chlorophyll breakdown intermediates during leaf senescence. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;430:32-7 pubmed publisher..Moreover, HCAR and NOL are highly up-regulated during greening of etiolated seedlings, strongly suggesting a major role for NOL and HCAR in the chlorophyll cycle during vegetative stages, possibly in chlorophyll turnover. ..
- Park B, Kim S, Song J, Seo H. Arabidopsis SIZ1 positively regulates alternative respiratory bypass pathways. BMB Rep. 2012;45:342-7 pubmed
- Kim A, Yang Y, Lee M, Yoo Y, Lee H, Lim J. NDRG2 gene expression in B16F10 melanoma cells restrains melanogenesis via inhibition of Mitf expression. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2008;21:653-64 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results not only identify NDRG2 as a novel regulator of pigmentation, but also potentially a key factor in regulating melanoma progression via Mitf. ..
- Bae S, Lee J, Fitzky B, Seong J, Paik Y. Cholesterol biosynthesis from lanosterol. Molecular cloning, tissue distribution, expression, chromosomal localization, and regulation of rat 7-dehydrocholesterol reductase, a Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome-related protein. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:14624-31 pubmed..However, the level of hepatic DHCR mRNA fell only slightly, suggesting that AY-9944 may act more rapidly at the protein level than at the level of transcription of the DHCR gene under these conditions. ..
- Chung W, Kim K, Cho Y, Roe J. Differential expression and role of two dithiol glutaredoxins Grx1 and Grx2 in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;321:922-9 pubmed..These results suggest distinct roles for Grx1 and Grx2 in S. pombe in mediating glutathione-dependent redox homeostasis. ..
- Nguyen N, Kim J, Kwon J, Jeong C, Lee W, Lee D, et al. Characterization of Arabidopsis thaliana FLAVONOL SYNTHASE 1 (FLS1) -overexpression plants in response to abiotic stress. Plant Physiol Biochem. 2016;103:133-42 pubmed publisher..Taken together, FLS1 can be manipulated (i.e., silenced or overexpressed) to redirect the flavonoid biosynthetic pathway toward anthocyanin production without negative effects on plant growth and development. ..
- Rhie G, Shin M, Seo J, Choi W, Cho K, Kim K, et al. Aging- and photoaging-dependent changes of enzymic and nonenzymic antioxidants in the epidermis and dermis of human skin in vivo. J Invest Dermatol. 2001;117:1212-7 pubmed..Uric acid did not show any significant changes. Our results suggest that the components of the antioxidant defense system in human skin are probably regulated in a complex manner during the intrinsic aging and photoaging processes. ..
- Kim Y, Kim S, Um J, Kim K, Choi S, Um B, et al. Functional implication of ?-carotene hydroxylases in soybean nodulation. Plant Physiol. 2013;162:1420-33 pubmed publisher..In view of these findings, we propose that carotenoids such as zeaxanthin synthesized in root nodules are cleaved by GmCCDs, and we discuss the possible roles of the carotenoid cleavage products in nodulation. ..
- Kim Y, Lee Y, Jin J, Han K, Kim H, Kim J, et al. Two different polyketide synthase genes are required for synthesis of zearalenone in Gibberella zeae. Mol Microbiol. 2005;58:1102-13 pubmed..zeae. This is the first published report on the molecular characterization of genes required for ZEA biosynthesis...
- Kang Y, Kim J, Shin H, Nam Y, Bae J, Jeon C, et al. Methylobacterium platani sp. nov., isolated from a leaf of the tree Platanus orientalis. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2007;57:2849-53 pubmed..nov. is proposed. The type strain is PMB02(T) (=KCTC 12901(T)=JCM 14648(T))...
- Lee S, Choi D, Hwang I, Hwang B. The pepper oxidoreductase CaOXR1 interacts with the transcription factor CaRAV1 and is required for salt and osmotic stress tolerance. Plant Mol Biol. 2010;73:409-24 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that CaOXR1 protein positively controls CaRAV1-mediated plant defense during biotic and abiotic stresses...
- Shin N, Whon T, Roh S, Kim M, Kim Y, Bae J. Oceanisphaera sediminis sp. nov., isolated from marine sediment. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2012;62:1552-7 pubmed publisher..nov., with strain TW92(T) (=KACC 15117(T)=JCM 17329(T)) as the type strain and strain TW93 (=KACC 15118=JCM 17330) as an additional strain...
- Baek C, Farrand S, Lee K, Park D, Lee J, Kim K. Convergent evolution of Amadori opine catabolic systems in plasmids of Agrobacterium tumefaciens. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:513-24 pubmed
- Kim M, Roh S, Nam Y, Chang H, Kim K, Jung M, et al. Alishewanella jeotgali sp. nov., isolated from traditional fermented food, and emended description of the genus Alishewanella. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2009;59:2313-6 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we propose that strain MS1T (=KCTC 22429T=JCM 15561T) is assigned to a novel species, Alishewanella jeotgali sp. nov...
- Lee J, Bae S, Paik Y. Structure and alternative splicing of the rat 7-dehydrocholesterol reductase gene. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1576:148-56 pubmed
- Jeong W, Lee D, Park S, Rhee S. ERp16, an endoplasmic reticulum-resident thiol-disulfide oxidoreductase: biochemical properties and role in apoptosis induced by endoplasmic reticulum stress. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:25557-66 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that ERp16 mediates disulfide bond formation in the ER and plays an important role in cellular defense against prolonged ER stress. ..
- Kim H, Lee J, Shin M, Hyun Leem K, Kim Y, Lee M. Inhibitory effect of Gastrodia elata extract on melanogenesis in HM3KO melanoma cells. J Cosmet Sci. 2013;64:89-98 pubmed..These results suggest that the antimelanogenic effect of GE extract is mainly due to the decreased expression of mRNA and protein of tyrosinase, TRP-1, and TRP-2 in the process of melanin synthesis...
- Kim B, Kim J, Kim J, Lee C, Ahn J. Accumulation of flavonols in response to ultraviolet-B irradiation in soybean is related to induction of flavanone 3-beta-hydroxylase and flavonol synthase. Mol Cells. 2008;25:247-52 pubmed..Thus, GmF3H and GmFLS appear to be key enzymes in the biosynthesis of the UV-protectant, kaempferol. ..
- Kim I, Yim H, Kim D, Kim Y, Lee H, Cha S, et al. Crystallization and preliminary X-ray crystallographic analysis of a ytfG gene product from Escherichia coli. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2004;60:365-7 pubmed..The crystal belongs to the primitive trigonal system, with unit-cell parameters a = b = 81.7, c = 76.8 A. Analysis of the packing density shows that the asymmetric unit probably contains one monomer, with a solvent content of 48.8%. ..
- Manikandan M, Gopal J, Kumaran R, Kannan V, Chun S. Purification and characterization of a highly active chromate reductase from endophytic Bacillus sp. DGV19 of Albizzia lebbeck (L.) Benth. actively involved in phytoremediation of tannery effluent-contaminated sites. Prep Biochem Biotechnol. 2016;46:192-9 pubmed publisher..Cu(2+) enhanced the activity of the purified enzyme but was inhibited by Zn(2+) and etheylenediamine tetraacetic acid (EDTA). In conclusion, due to its versatile adaptability the chromate reductase can be used for chromium remediation...
- Choi C, Kim B, Jeong S, Lee C, Kim J, Park S, et al. Reduced glutathione levels affect the culmination and cell fate decision in Dictyostelium discoideum. Dev Biol. 2006;295:523-33 pubmed..In addition, the cells having higher GSH levels showed a prestalk tendency in the chimeric slugs with parental cells, indicating that the difference in the amount of GSH may affect the determination of cell fate. ..
- Kim Y, Lee S, Lee S, Ahn Y. Fenpyroximate resistance in Tetranychus urticae (Acari: Tetranychidae): cross-resistance and biochemical resistance mechanisms. Pest Manag Sci. 2004;60:1001-6 pubmed..These results suggested that enhanced activities of both mixed-function oxidases and esterases likely contribute to the fenpyroximate resistance of the FR-20 strain of T urticae...
- Chi M, Park S, Kim S, Lee Y. A novel pathogenicity gene is required in the rice blast fungus to suppress the basal defenses of the host. PLoS Pathog. 2009;5:e1000401 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that DES1 functions as a novel pathogenicity gene that regulates the activity of fungal proteins, compromising ROS-mediated plant defense. ..