Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mitochondria in Daejeon, South Korea
Locale: Daejeon, South Korea
- Koh Y, Park B, Park J, Han J, Lee I, Park J, et al. Activation of PPAR gamma induces profound multilocularization of adipocytes in adult mouse white adipose tissues. Exp Mol Med. 2009;41:880-95 pubmed publisher..Taken together, PPAR-gamma activation induces profound multilocularization and enhanced mitochondrial biogenesis in the adipocytes of adult WAT. These changes may affect the overall function of WAT. ..
- Lee S, Kim Y, Song S, Kim Y. Stabilization and translocation of p53 to mitochondria is linked to Bax translocation to mitochondria in simvastatin-induced apoptosis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;391:1592-7 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these all indicate that stabilization and translocation of p53 to mitochondria is involved in Bax translocation to mitochondria in simvastatin-induced apoptosis. ..
- Do Y, Sul J, Jang K, Kang N, Kim Y, Kim Y, et al. A novel RIPK1 inhibitor that prevents retinal degeneration in a rat glaucoma model. Exp Cell Res. 2017;359:30-38 pubmed publisher..Conversely, Nec-1 and Cpd27 protected RGCs from TNF-stimulated death, while RIC failed to inhibit the death of RGCs. This implies that RIPK1 activates alternative pathways depending on the context of the ischemic insults. ..
- Kim K, Kim J, Son J, Kim I. Enhanced induction of mitochondrial damage and apoptosis in human leukemia HL-60 cells by the Ganoderma lucidum and Duchesnea chrysantha extracts. Cancer Lett. 2007;246:210-7 pubmed..The present findings suggest that this combination merits further investigation as a potential therapeutic agent for the treatment of cancer. ..
- Im A, Kim Y, Uddin M, Chae S, Lee H, Jung W, et al. Protection from antimycin A-induced mitochondrial dysfunction by Nelumbo nucifera seed extracts. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2013;36:19-29 pubmed publisher..Our results suggested that AMA induced apoptosis in L6 cells via impairment of mitochondrial function. N. nucifera extracts protected the cells from this mitochondria-mediated cell death...
- Lee J, Park A, Lee S, Lee S, Kim J, Yang S, et al. Beta-lapachone, a modulator of NAD metabolism, prevents health declines in aged mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47122 pubmed publisher..These results support the potentiation of NQO1 activity by a ?L diet and could be an option for preventing age-related decline of muscle and brain functions. ..
- Jeong H, Jeong H, Song S, Kang J, Seo J, Lee Y, et al. Upregulation of peroxiredeoxin III in the hippocampus of acute immobilization stress model rats and the Foxo3a-dependent expression in PC12 cells. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2011;31:1041-6 pubmed publisher..These mechanisms may play an important role in neuroprotection against oxidative stress. Furthermore, Prx III upregulation might be an useful approach for the management of stress. ..
- Lee K, Iijima Ando K, Iijima K, Lee W, Lee J, Yu K, et al. JNK/FOXO-mediated neuronal expression of fly homologue of peroxiredoxin II reduces oxidative stress and extends life span. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:29454-61 pubmed publisher..These results support the hypothesis that JNK/FOXO signaling extends life span via amelioration of oxidative damage and mitochondrial dysfunction in neurons. ..
- Im A, Kim Y, Uddin M, Chae S, Lee H, Kim Y, et al. Neuroprotective effects of Lycium chinense Miller against rotenone-induced neurotoxicity in PC12 cells. Am J Chin Med. 2013;41:1343-59 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Lycium chinense Miller extracts may have the possible beneficial effects in Parkinson's disease by attenuating rotenone induced toxicity. ..
- Kim H, Kim S, Kim J, Lee H, Choi M, Kim J, et al. Hepatitis B virus X protein induces apoptosis by enhancing translocation of Bax to mitochondria. IUBMB Life. 2008;60:473-80 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that HBx induces apoptosis by interacting with Bax and enhancing its translocation to mitochondria. ..
- Yang C, Yuk J, Kim J, Hwang J, Lee C, Kim J, et al. Small heterodimer partner-targeting therapy inhibits systemic inflammatory responses through mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63435 pubmed publisher..These data strongly suggest that the SHP-inducing drug fenofibrate paves the way for novel therapies for systemic inflammation by targeting SHP. ..
- Park J, Lee M, Cha E, Lee J, Sul J, Song I, et al. Magnolol-induced apoptosis in HCT-116 colon cancer cells is associated with the AMP-activated protein kinase signaling pathway. Biol Pharm Bull. 2012;35:1614-20 pubmed..Magnolol inhibited migration and invasion of HCT-116 cells through AMPK activation. These findings demonstrate that AMPK mediates the anticancer effects of magnolol through apoptosis in HCT-116 cells. ..
- Ryu M, Kim S, Choi M, Kim Y, Lee M, Lee S, et al. Mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation reserve is required for hormone- and PPAR? agonist-induced adipogenesis. Mol Cells. 2013;35:134-41 pubmed publisher..Rosiglitazone treatment did not induce adipogenesis or mitochondria biogenesis in Crif1 knockout ADSCs. These results show that mitochondrial OXPHOS and Crif1 are required for rosiglitazone- and hormone-induced adipogenesis. ..
- Ryu S, Choi K, Park J, Park Y, Kim S, Choi C. Mitofusin 1 inhibits an apoptosis-associated amino-terminal conformational change in Bax, but not its mitochondrial translocation, in a GTPase-dependent manner. Cancer Lett. 2012;323:62-8 pubmed publisher..These results collectively suggest a role for Mfn1 in regulating the activation of Bax on the outer mitochondrial membrane in a GTPase-dependent manner. ..
- Ryu S, Choi K, Yoon J, Kim S, Choi C. Endoplasmic reticulum-specific BH3-only protein BNIP1 induces mitochondrial fragmentation in a Bcl-2- and Drp1-dependent manner. J Cell Physiol. 2012;227:3027-35 pubmed publisher..These results collectively indicate that ER-specific BNIP1 plays an important role in mitochondrial dynamics by modulating the mitochondrial fission protein Drp1 in a BH3 domain-dependent fashion. ..
- An H, Shin H, Jo S, Kim Y, Lee J, Paik S, et al. The survival effect of mitochondrial Higd-1a is associated with suppression of cytochrome C release and prevention of caspase activation. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1813:2088-98 pubmed publisher..Together these observations indicate that Higd-1a is induced by hypoxia in a HIF-dependent manner and its anti-apoptotic effect results from inhibiting cytochrome C release and reducing caspase activities. ..
- Kwon H, Heo J, Shim J, Park J, Seo K, Ryu M, et al. DJ-1 mediates paraquat-induced dopaminergic neuronal cell death. Toxicol Lett. 2011;202:85-92 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results suggest that DJ-1 is critical to maintain mitochondrial complex I and complex I could be a key target in interaction of paraquat toxicity and DJ-1 for giving rise to PD. ..
- Kim S, Jin M, Kim Y, Lee S, Cho Y, Cho K, et al. Peroxiredoxin II preserves cognitive function against age-linked hippocampal oxidative damage. Neurobiol Aging. 2011;32:1054-68 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Prx II help maintain hippocampal synaptic plasticity against age-related oxidative damage. ..
- Park S, Yoo H, Park C, Cho C, Kim G, Kim W, et al. Induction of apoptosis in human lung carcinoma cells by the water extract of Panax notoginseng is associated with the activation of caspase-3 through downregulation of Akt. Int J Oncol. 2009;35:121-7 pubmed
- Lee J, Lee Y, Lee C, Maeng P. Mutational and functional analysis of the cryptic N-terminal targeting signal for both mitochondria and peroxisomes in yeast peroxisomal citrate synthase Cit2p. J Biochem. 2006;140:121-33 pubmed..It is thus suggested that the potential of the N-terminal segment as an ambidextrous targeting signal can be unmasked by deletion of PTS1. ..
- An H, Cho G, Lee J, Paik S, Kim Y, Lee H. Higd-1a interacts with Opa1 and is required for the morphological and functional integrity of mitochondria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:13014-9 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our observations demonstrate that Higd-1a inhibits Opa1 cleavage and is required for mitochondrial fusion by virtue of its interaction with Opa1. ..
- Shin S, Jing K, Jeong S, Kim N, Song K, Heo J, et al. The omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid DHA induces simultaneous apoptosis and autophagy via mitochondrial ROS-mediated Akt-mTOR signaling in prostate cancer cells expressing mutant p53. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:568671 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings present a novel mechanism of ROS-regulated apoptosis and autophagy that involves Akt-mTOR signaling in prostate cancer cells with mutant p53 exposed to DHA. ..
- Ryu S, Yoon J, Yim N, Choi K, Choi C. Downregulation of OPA3 is responsible for transforming growth factor-?-induced mitochondrial elongation and F-actin rearrangement in retinal pigment epithelial ARPE-19 cells. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63495 pubmed publisher..Depletion of Mfn1 blocked the increase in cell length during TGF-?-mediated EMT. These results collectively substantiate the involvement of mitochondrial dynamics in TGF-?-induced EMT. ..
- Song S, Jang S, Park J, Bang S, Choi S, Kwon K, et al. Characterization of PINK1 (PTEN-induced putative kinase 1) mutations associated with Parkinson disease in mammalian cells and Drosophila. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:5660-72 pubmed publisher..We believe that this study provides the basis for understanding the molecular and physiological functions of various PINK1 mutations and provides insights into the pathogenic mechanisms of PINK1-linked PD. ..
- Hwang J, Baek Y, Yang K, Yoo H, Cho C, Lee Y, et al. Lactobacillus casei extract induces apoptosis in gastric cancer by inhibiting NF-?B and mTOR-mediated signaling. Integr Cancer Ther. 2013;12:165-73 pubmed publisher..These results showed for the first time that LBX induced apoptosis in gastric cancer cells by inhibiting NF-?B and mTOR-mediated signaling...
- Heo J, Park J, Kim S, Seo K, Han J, Lee S, et al. DJ-1 null dopaminergic neuronal cells exhibit defects in mitochondrial function and structure: involvement of mitochondrial complex I assembly. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32629 pubmed publisher..These mitochondrial defects induced by DJ-1mutation may be a pathological mechanism for the degeneration of dopaminergic neurons in Parkinson's disease. ..
- Kim K, Kim Y, Jung D, Lee J, Kim J. Increased glyoxalase I levels inhibit accumulation of oxidative stress and an advanced glycation end product in mouse mesangial cells cultured in high glucose. Exp Cell Res. 2012;318:152-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that GLO-1 plays a role in high glucose-mediated signaling by reducing MG accumulation and oxidative stress in diabetes mellitus. ..
- Ryu S, Jeong H, Choi M, Karbowski M, Choi C. Optic atrophy 3 as a protein of the mitochondrial outer membrane induces mitochondrial fragmentation. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2010;67:2839-50 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that OPA3, as an integral MOM protein, has a crucial role in mitochondrial fission, and provides a direct link between mitochondrial morphology and optic atrophy. ..
- Ryu M, Kim S, Kim Y, Choi M, Tadi S, Lee M, et al. Crif1 deficiency reduces adipose OXPHOS capacity and triggers inflammation and insulin resistance in mice. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003356 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the OXPHOS status of adipose tissue determines its metabolic and inflammatory responses, and may cause systemic inflammation and insulin resistance. ..
- Joo H, Lee Y, Lim S, Lee E, Choi S, Cho E, et al. Peripheral benzodiazepine receptor regulates vascular endothelial activations via suppression of the voltage-dependent anion channel-1. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:1349-55 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that PBR can inhibit endothelial activation and this action is related to the inhibition of mitochondrial ROS and/or VDAC-1 expression in endothelial cells. ..
- Sohn H, Kim J, Shin S, Kim K, Won C, Kim W, et al. Targeting of Mycobacterium tuberculosis heparin-binding hemagglutinin to mitochondria in macrophages. PLoS Pathog. 2011;7:e1002435 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that HBHA may act as a strong pathogenic factor to cause apoptosis of professional phagocytes infected with M. tuberculosis...
- Kim J, Kang K, Ryu Y, Piao M, Han X, Oh M, et al. Induction of Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress via Reactive Oxygen Species Mediated by Luteolin in Melanoma Cells. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:2281-9 pubmed..In addition, knockdown of CHOP and ATF6 by small-interfering RNA inhibited luteolin-induced cell death. Luteolin induces apoptosis by ER stress via increasing ROS levels. ..
- Kang S, Yi H, Choi M, Ryu M, Jung S, Chung H, et al. ANGPTL6 expression is coupled with mitochondrial OXPHOS function to regulate adipose FGF21. J Endocrinol. 2017;233:105-118 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, mitochondrial OXPHOS function governs the expression of ANGPTL6, which is an essential factor for FGF21 production in adipose tissue and cultured adipocytes. ..
- Lee Y, Hoe K, Maeng P. Yeast cells lacking the CIT1-encoded mitochondrial citrate synthase are hypersusceptible to heat- or aging-induced apoptosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:3556-67 pubmed