Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on fungal gene expression regulation in Seoul, South Korea
Locale: Seoul, South Korea
Topic: fungal gene expression regulation
- Kim S, Park S, Kim K, Rho H, Chi M, Choi J, et al. Homeobox transcription factors are required for conidiation and appressorium development in the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000757 pubmed publisher..The divergent roles of this gene set may help reveal how the genome and regulatory pathways evolved within the rice blast pathogen and close relatives. ..
- Shim Y, Jang Y, Lim M, Lee J, Seong R, Hong S, et al. Rdp1, a novel zinc finger protein, regulates the DNA damage response of rhp51(+) from Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:8958-68 pubmed..Furthermore, the DNA damage-dependent expression of rhp51(+) was significantly reduced in checkpoint mutants, raising the possibility that Rdp1 may mediate damage checkpoint-dependent transcription of rhp51(+). ..
- Jang Y, Kim M, Dai Park S. Fibrillarin binds to a 3' cis-regulatory element in pre-mRNA of uvi15+ in fission yeast. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;294:1184-90 pubmed..Thus, the data suggest that fission yeast fibrillarin might regulate uvi15+ mRNA stability via binding with the 54-nt element in the pre-mRNA, implying that fibrillarin is involved in both pre-mRNA and pre-rRNA processing. ..
- Kim Y, Lee Y, Jin J, Han K, Kim H, Kim J, et al. Two different polyketide synthase genes are required for synthesis of zearalenone in Gibberella zeae. Mol Microbiol. 2005;58:1102-13 pubmed..zeae. This is the first published report on the molecular characterization of genes required for ZEA biosynthesis...
- Kim N, Yoon H, Lee E, Song K. A new function of Skp1 in the mitotic exit of budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Microbiol. 2006;44:641-8 pubmed..We suggest a novel function of Skp1 in mitotic exit and cytokinesis, independent of its function as a part of the SCF complex. The interaction of Skp1 and Bfa1 may contribute to the function of Skp1 in the mitotic exit. ..
- Joo Y, Kim J, Baek J, Seong K, Han K, Song J, et al. Cooperative regulation of ADE3 transcription by Gcn4p and Bas1p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2009;8:1268-77 pubmed publisher..Taking these results together, we concluded that Gcn4p is responsible for the basal and inducible expression of the ADE3 gene, while Bas1p is required for its basal expression. ..
- Choe Y, Ryu Y, Kim H, Seok Y. Increased [PSI+] appearance by fusion of Rnq1 with the prion domain of Sup35 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2009;8:968-76 pubmed publisher..This study supports the occurrence of in vivo cross-seeding between Sup35 and Rnq1 and provides a new tool that can be used to dissect the mechanism of the de novo appearance of prions. ..
- Kim J, Jin J, Kim H, Kim J, Yun S, Lee Y. GIP2, a putative transcription factor that regulates the aurofusarin biosynthetic gene cluster in Gibberella zeae. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2006;72:1645-52 pubmed..Thus, GIP2 is a putative positive regulator of the aurofusarin biosynthetic gene cluster, and aurofusarin production is negatively correlated with vegetative growth by G. zeae. ..
- Lee I, Oh J, Shwab E, Dagenais T, Andes D, Keller N. HdaA, a class 2 histone deacetylase of Aspergillus fumigatus, affects germination and secondary metabolite production. Fungal Genet Biol. 2009;46:782-90 pubmed publisher..A mammalian cell toxicity assay indicated increased activity in the over-expression strain. Neither mutant affected virulence of the fungus as measured by macrophage engulfment of conidia or virulence in a neutropenic mouse model...
- Heo D, Baek I, Kang H, Kim J, Chang M, Jeong M, et al. Cadmium regulates copper homoeostasis by inhibiting the activity of Mac1, a transcriptional activator of the copper regulon, in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem J. 2010;431:257-65 pubmed publisher..The decreased expression of CTR1 results in cellular copper deficiency and inhibition of Fet3 activity, which eventually impairs iron uptake. In this way, cadmium exhibits a negative effect on both iron and copper homoeostasis. ..
- Lee J, Dawes I, Roe J. Isolation, expression, and regulation of the pgr1(+) gene encoding glutathione reductase absolutely required for the growth of Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:23042-9 pubmed..These results indicate that GR activity, which efficiently reduces GSSG, is essentially required for the growth of S. pombe, unlike in Saccharomyces cerevisiae or Escherichia coli. ..
- Lee J, Park C, Kim J, Kim J, Lee Y. Identification and functional characterization of genes involved in the sexual reproduction of the ascomycete fungus Gibberella zeae. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;401:48-52 pubmed publisher..In all we identified 11 genes that are involved in sexual reproduction of G. zeae and present evidence that some of these genes function at distinct stages during sexual reproduction in the fungus...
- Choi I, Jeong M, Ham M, Sung H, Yun C. Novel Ree1 regulates the expression of ENO1 via the Snf1 complex pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;377:395-399 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that Ree1p functions in the galactose metabolic pathway via the Gal83 protein and that it may control the level of Eno1p, which is also affected by the Snf1 complex, in S. cerevisiae. ..
- Kim T, Kim H, Yoon J, Kang H. Recruitment of the Swi/Snf complex by Ste12-Tec1 promotes Flo8-Mss11-mediated activation of STA1 expression. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:9542-56 pubmed
- Kim T, Ahn J, Yoon J, Kang H. STA10 repression of STA gene expression is caused by a defective activator, flo8, in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 2003;44:261-7 pubmed..A random spore analysis and transplacement (allele replacement) experiment confirms that the repressive phenotype of STA10 is due to the amber mutation of the transcriptional activator, FLO8. ..
- Lee Y, Min S, Gim B, Kim Y. A transcriptional mediator protein that is required for activation of many RNA polymerase II promoters and is conserved from yeast to humans. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:4622-32 pubmed..A database search revealed the existence of MED6-related genes in humans and Caenorhabditis elegans, suggesting that the role of mediator in transcriptional activation is conserved throughout the evolution. ..
- Jwa M, Song K. Byr4, a dosage-dependent regulator of cytokinesis in S. pombe, interacts with a possible small GTPase pathway including Spg1 and Cdc16. Mol Cells. 1998;8:240-5 pubmed..Combined genetic and two-hybrid analyses of this study strongly suggest that Byr4 directly interacts with this possible small GTPase pathway including Cdc16, Spg1, and Cdc7 to regulate cytokinesis in S. pombe. ..
- Jin J, Lee S, Lee J, Baek S, Kim J, Yun S, et al. Functional characterization and manipulation of the apicidin biosynthetic pathway in Fusarium semitectum. Mol Microbiol. 2010;76:456-66 pubmed publisher..This study establishes the apicidin biosynthetic pathway and provides new opportunities to improve the production of apicidin and produce new analogues. ..
- Kim M, Kim H, Lee J, Lee C, Park S. Regulation of septation and cytokinesis during resumption of cell division requires uvi31+, a UV-inducible gene of fission yeast. Mol Cells. 2002;14:425-30 pubmed..These results suggest that uvi31+ may be involved in control of cell division, especially during the resumption from cell cycle arrest. ..
- Choi J, Kim Y, Kim S, Park J, Lee Y. MoCRZ1, a gene encoding a calcineurin-responsive transcription factor, regulates fungal growth and pathogenicity of Magnaporthe oryzae. Fungal Genet Biol. 2009;46:243-54 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that MoCRZ1 is a downstream regulator in Ca(2+)-dependent signaling for pathogenicity in M. oryzae, and its biochemical mechanisms are well conserved among fungal species...
- Han Y, Kim M, Lee S, Yun S, Lee Y. A novel F-box protein involved in sexual development and pathogenesis in Gibberella zeae. Mol Microbiol. 2007;63:768-79 pubmed..zeae...
- Lee S, Song J, Kwon E, Roe J. Gpx1 is a stationary phase-specific thioredoxin peroxidase in fission yeast. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;367:67-71 pubmed..Therefore, Gpx1 must serve to ensure optimal mitochondrial function and cytosolic environment, especially in the stationary phase. ..
- Yu H, Seo J, Kim J, Han K, Shim W, Yun S, et al. Functional analyses of heterotrimeric G protein G alpha and G beta subunits in Gibberella zeae. Microbiology. 2008;154:392-401 pubmed publisher..Our study shows that G. zeae heterotrimeric G protein subunits can regulate vegetative growth, sexual development, toxin production and pathogenicity...
- Lee P, Cho B, Joo H, Hahn J. Yeast Yak1 kinase, a bridge between PKA and stress-responsive transcription factors, Hsf1 and Msn2/Msn4. Mol Microbiol. 2008;70:882-95 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a central role for Yak1 in mediating PKA-dependent inhibition of Hsf1 and Msn2/Msn4. ..
- Hahn J, Neef D, Thiele D. A stress regulatory network for co-ordinated activation of proteasome expression mediated by yeast heat shock transcription factor. Mol Microbiol. 2006;60:240-51 pubmed..In addition, the overlapping transcriptional regulatory networks involving HSF, Yap1 and Pdr3 suggest a close linkage between stress responses and pleiotropic drug resistance. ..
- Song J, Roe J. The role and regulation of Trxl, a cytosolic thioredoxin in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Microbiol. 2008;46:408-14 pubmed publisher..pombe. These results suggest that, in contrast to Trx2 whose role is more confined to mitochondrial functions, Trxl plays a major role in protecting S. pombe against various stressful conditions and enables proper sulfur metabolism. ..
- Joo Y, Kim J, Baek J, Seong K, Lee J, Kim J. Determination of the core promoter regions of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae RPS3 gene. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1789:741-50 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results further the current understanding of the promoter architecture and trans-elements of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae RPS3 gene. ..
- Lee Y, Kim Y. Requirement for a functional interaction between mediator components Med6 and Srb4 in RNA polymerase II transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:5364-70 pubmed..Our results suggest not only the existence of a specific interaction between Med6 and Srb4 but also the requirement of this interaction in transcriptional regulation of RNA polymerase II holoenzyme. ..
- Lee J, Son H, Lee S, Park A, Lee Y. Development of a conditional gene expression system using a zearalenone-inducible promoter for the ascomycete fungus Gibberella zeae. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76:3089-96 pubmed publisher..In addition, the Pzear promoter may be applicable as a biosensor for the detection of ZEA contamination in agricultural products. ..
- Park S, Koh S, Chun J, Hwang H, Kang H. Nrg1 is a transcriptional repressor for glucose repression of STA1 gene expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:2044-50 pubmed..These findings indicate that Nrg1 acts as a DNA-binding repressor and mediates glucose repression of the STA1 gene expression by recruiting the Ssn6-Tup1 complex. ..