Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on flowers in Seoul, South Korea
Locale: Seoul, South Korea
- Jung J, Seo Y, Seo P, Reyes J, Yun J, Chua N, et al. The GIGANTEA-regulated microRNA172 mediates photoperiodic flowering independent of CONSTANS in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2007;19:2736-48 pubmed..Therefore, it appears that GI-mediated photoperiodic flowering is governed by the coordinated interaction of two distinct genetic pathways: one mediated via CO and the other mediated via miR172 and its targets. ..
- Kim H, Lee Y. Identification of new dicaffeoylquinic acids from Chrysanthemum morifolium and their antioxidant activities. Planta Med. 2005;71:871-6 pubmed..6 +/- 0.4 microg/mL for 2, respectively) in the xanthine/xanthine oxidase system as compared to quercetin and also showed potent DPPH radical scavenging activity (IC50 = 5.6 +/- 0.1 for 1 and 5.8 +/- 0.2 microg/mL for 2, respectively). ..
- Kim Y, Jung K, Jeung J, Shin J. A novel F-box protein represses endothecial secondary wall thickening for anther dehiscence in Arabidopsis thaliana. J Plant Physiol. 2012;169:212-6 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the novel Skp/Cul/F-box (SCF) complex consisting of SAF1 as an F-box protein and ASK19 as a Skp functions in secondary wall thickening of the anther endothecium. ..
- Jung J, Seo P, Ahn J, Park C. Arabidopsis RNA-binding protein FCA regulates microRNA172 processing in thermosensory flowering. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:16007-16 pubmed publisher..We propose that the FCA-miR172 regulon provides an adaptive strategy that fine tunes the onset of flowering under fluctuating ambient temperature conditions. ..
- Kim S, Park H, Jang Y, Lee J, Kim J. The sequence variation responsible for the functional difference between the CONSTANS protein, and the CONSTANS-like (COL) 1 and COL2 proteins, resides mostly in the region encoded by their first exons. Plant Sci. 2013;199-200:71-8 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that the lack of flowering promotion activity by COL1 and COL2 is mainly attributed to the differences between CO and the COL1 and COL2 proteins in the amino acid sequence encoded by their first exons. ..
- Kim W, Park T, Yoo S, Jun A, Ahn J. Generation and analysis of a complete mutant set for the Arabidopsis FT/TFL1 family shows specific effects on thermo-sensitive flowering regulation. J Exp Bot. 2013;64:1715-29 pubmed publisher..This study proposes that this mutant population will be useful in further investigation of the functions of the FT/TFL1 family genes in plant development. ..
- Hong J, Chung H, Lee H, Park H, Lee S. Growth inhibition of human lung cancer cells via down-regulation of epidermal growth factor receptor signaling by yuanhuadine, a daphnane diterpene from Daphne genkwa. J Nat Prod. 2011;74:2102-8 pubmed publisher..Cell-cycle arrest and suppression of Akt/mTOR and EGFR signaling pathways might be plausible mechanisms of actions for the antiproliferative and antitumor activity of 1 in human non-small-cell lung cancer cells...
- Kim C, Shin S, Ha H, Kim J. Study of substance changes in flowers of Pueraria thunbergiana Benth. during storage. Arch Pharm Res. 2003;26:210-3 pubmed..This study demonstrates that the substances undergo a certain degree of change depending on the storage period by the method of HPLC and 13C-NMR, and that the HPLC analysis can be used to determine the freshness of Puerariae Flos...
- Hong J, Nam J, Seo E, Lee S. Daphnane diterpene esters with anti-proliferative activities against human lung cancer cells from Daphne genkwa. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2010;58:234-7 pubmed..Compounds 1-5 exhibited potent anti-proliferative effects against A549 lung cancer cells with IC(50) values of 12-53 nM, whereas these compounds were relatively non-cytotoxic against MRC-5 normal lung epithelial cells...
- Ko J, Mitina I, Tamada Y, Hyun Y, Choi Y, Amasino R, et al. Growth habit determination by the balance of histone methylation activities in Arabidopsis. EMBO J. 2010;29:3208-15 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study provides a model of how growth habit is determined through the balance of the H3K4/H3K36-specific HMT and HDM activities. ..
- Yu J, Rubio V, Lee N, Bai S, Lee S, Kim S, et al. COP1 and ELF3 control circadian function and photoperiodic flowering by regulating GI stability. Mol Cell. 2008;32:617-30 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which ELF3 acts as a substrate adaptor, enabling COP1 to modulate light input signal to the circadian clock through targeted destabilization of GI. ..
- Kim J, Jung J, Reyes J, Kim Y, Kim S, Chung K, et al. microRNA-directed cleavage of ATHB15 mRNA regulates vascular development in Arabidopsis inflorescence stems. Plant J. 2005;42:84-94 pubmed..miR166-assisted ATHB15 repression is likely to be a conserved mechanism that regulates vascular development in all vascular plants. ..
- Choi E, Hwang J. Investigations of anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive activities of Piper cubeba, Physalis angulata and Rosa hybrida. J Ethnopharmacol. 2003;89:171-5 pubmed..These results provide support for the use of Rosa hybrida in relieving inflammatory pain, and insight into the development of new agents for treating inflammatory diseases...
- Hwang D, Won K, Kim D, Kim B, Lee H. Cinnamyl Alcohol, the Bioactive Component of Chestnut Flower Absolute, Inhibits Adipocyte Differentiation in 3T3-L1 Cells by Downregulating Adipogenic Transcription Factors. Am J Chin Med. 2017;45:833-846 pubmed publisher..Therefore, cinnamyl alcohol, as well as CCDF absolute, may be potential candidates for the prevention or treatment of obesity...
- Yoo S, Chung K, Kim J, Lee J, Hong S, Yoo S, et al. CONSTANS activates SUPPRESSOR OF OVEREXPRESSION OF CONSTANS 1 through FLOWERING LOCUS T to promote flowering in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2005;139:770-8 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that CO activates SOC1 through FT to promote flowering in Arabidopsis. ..
- Seo E, Yu J, Ryu K, Lee M, Lee I. WEREWOLF, a regulator of root hair pattern formation, controls flowering time through the regulation of FT mRNA stability. Plant Physiol. 2011;156:1867-77 pubmed publisher..Consistently, WER regulates not the transcription but the stability of FT mRNA. Our results reveal a novel regulatory mechanism of FT that is non cell autonomous. ..
- Shang Y, Lee M, Li J, Nam K. Characterization of cp3 reveals a new bri1 allele, bri1-120, and the importance of the LRR domain of BRI1 mediating BR signaling. BMC Plant Biol. 2011;11:8 pubmed publisher..Also, we confirmed that a successful interallelic complementation occurs between the extracellular domain mutant allele and the cytoplasmic kinase-inactive mutant allele of BRI1 in vivo. ..
- Bahn S, Lee H, Kim H, Ryu S, Shin J. Characterization of Arabidopsis secretory phospholipase A2-gamma cDNA and its enzymatic properties. FEBS Lett. 2003;553:113-8 pubmed..AtsPLA(2)-gamma was found to predominate in the mature flower rather than in other tissues, and subcellular localization analysis confirmed that AtsPLA(2)-gamma is secreted into the intercellular space. ..
- Choi K, Park C, Lee J, Oh M, Noh B, Lee I. Arabidopsis homologs of components of the SWR1 complex regulate flowering and plant development. Development. 2007;134:1931-41 pubmed..Our results strongly support the presence of an SWR1C-like complex in Arabidopsis that ensures proper development, including floral repression through full activation of FLC...
- Baek I, Park H, You M, Lee J, Kim J. Functional conservation and divergence of FVE genes that control flowering time and cold response in rice and Arabidopsis. Mol Cells. 2008;26:368-72 pubmed..However, OsFVE overexpression in the fve mutants did not rescue the flowering time phenotype in in relation to the response to intermittent cold treatment. ..
- Nguyen K, Park J, Park E, Lee I, Choi G. The Arabidopsis RING Domain Protein BOI Inhibits Flowering via CO-dependent and CO-independent Mechanisms. Mol Plant. 2015;8:1725-36 pubmed publisher..Our finding that BOIs inhibit CO targeting further suggests that, in addition to modulating CO mRNA expression and CO protein stability, flowering regulation can also modulate the targeting of CO to FT. ..
- Lee B, Wynn A, Franks R, Hwang Y, Lim J, Kim J. The Arabidopsis thaliana GRF-INTERACTING FACTOR gene family plays an essential role in control of male and female reproductive development. Dev Biol. 2014;386:12-24 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we propose that the GIF family of Arabidopsis is a novel and essential component required for the cell specification maintenance during reproductive organ development and, ultimately, for the reproductive competence. ..
- Kim H, Kwon M, Ryu H, Fujioka S, Takatsuto S, Yoshida S, et al. The regulation of DWARF4 expression is likely a critical mechanism in maintaining the homeostasis of bioactive brassinosteroids in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2006;140:548-57 pubmed..Thus, it is likely that the DWF4 promoter serves as a focal point in maintaining homeostasis of endogenous bioactive BR pools in specific tissues of Arabidopsis. ..
- Oh S, Shin H, Kim S, Hong J. Rapid determination of floral aroma compounds of lilac blossom by fast gas chromatography combined with surface acoustic wave sensor. J Chromatogr A. 2008;1183:170-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, headspace solid-phase microextraction (HS-SPME) GC-MS was employed to further confirm the identification of fragrances emitted from lilac blossom and compared to GC/SAW...
- Park B, Eo H, Jang I, Kang H, Song J, Seo H. Ubiquitination of LHY by SINAT5 regulates flowering time and is inhibited by DET1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;398:242-6 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, LHY ubiquitination by SINAT5 was inhibited by DET1. Late flowering of sinat5 mutants indicates that flowering time can be controlled by DET1 through regulation of LHY stability by SINAT5. ..
- Lee H, Choo M, Bae E, Kim D. Beta-glucuronidase inhibitor tectorigenin isolated from the flower of Pueraria thunbergiana protects carbon tetrachloride-induced liver injury. Liver Int. 2003;23:221-6 pubmed..To understand the relationship between the fluctuation in serum beta-glucuronidase and hepatotoxicity, an inhibitor of beta-glucuronidase was isolated from the flowers of Pueraria thunbergiana and its hepatoprotective activity was measured...
- Yoo S, Lee J, Ahn J. Overexpression of AGAMOUS-LIKE 28 (AGL28) promotes flowering by upregulating expression of floral promoters within the autonomous pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;348:929-36 pubmed..Collectively, our data suggest that AGL28 is a positive regulator of known floral promoters within the autonomous pathway in Arabidopsis. ..
- Kim S, Yun C, Lee J, Jang Y, Park H, Kim J. OsCO3, a CONSTANS-LIKE gene, controls flowering by negatively regulating the expression of FT-like genes under SD conditions in rice. Planta. 2008;228:355-65 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that OsCO3 primarily controls flowering time under SD conditions by negatively regulating Hd3a and FTL expression, independent of the SD-promotion pathway...
- Yoo S, Hong S, Jung H, Ahn J. The cotyledons produce sufficient FT protein to induce flowering: evidence from cotyledon micrografting in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell Physiol. 2013;54:119-28 pubmed publisher..Our results further suggest that in Arabidopsis, the cotyledon is an important organ for producing FT protein to induce flowering...
- Kim E, Seo Y, Kim W. AtDSEL, an Arabidopsis cytosolic DAD1-like acylhydrolase, is involved in negative regulation of storage oil mobilization during seedling establishment. J Plant Physiol. 2011;168:1705-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that AtDSEL is involved in the negative regulation of seedling establishment by inhibiting the breakdown of storage oils. ..
- Yoo S, Kim Y, Kim S, Lee J, Ahn J. Control of flowering time and cold response by a NAC-domain protein in Arabidopsis. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e642 pubmed..Our results suggest an overlapping pathway for controlling cold stress response and flowering time in plants. ..
- Jung J, Seo P, Kang S, Park C. miR172 signals are incorporated into the miR156 signaling pathway at the SPL3/4/5 genes in Arabidopsis developmental transitions. Plant Mol Biol. 2011;76:35-45 pubmed publisher..Together, these observations indicate that although miR172 and miR156 play distinct roles in the timing of developmental phase transitions, there is a signaling crosstalk mediated by the SPL3/4/5 genes. ..
- Yoo S, Wu X, Lee J, Ahn J. AGAMOUS-LIKE 6 is a floral promoter that negatively regulates the FLC/MAF clade genes and positively regulates FT in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2011;65:62-76 pubmed publisher..The present results suggest that AGL6 acts as a floral promoter with a dual role, the inhibition of the transcription of the FLC/MAF genes and the promotion of FT expression in Arabidopsis. ..
- Choi E, Hwang J. Effect of some medicinal plants on plasma antioxidant system and lipid levels in rats. Phytother Res. 2005;19:382-6 pubmed..This study showed that the intake of medicinal plants in rats results in an increase in antioxidant enzyme activity and HDL-cholesterol, and a decrease in malondialdehyde, which may reduce the risk of inflammatory and heart disease. ..
- Kim K, Bae O, Lim K, Noh J, Kang S, Chung K, et al. Novel antiplatelet activity of protocatechuic acid through the inhibition of high shear stress-induced platelet aggregation. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2012;343:704-11 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest that PCA may be a novel antiplatelet agent that can prevent thrombosis without increasing bleeding risks. ..
- Seo J, Kim J, Shim J, Yoon G, Bang M, Bae C, et al. HPLC Analysis, Optimization of Extraction Conditions and Biological Evaluation of Corylopsis coreana Uyeki Flos. Molecules. 2016;21:94 pubmed publisher..Taken of all, these results suggest that the flower of C. coreana Uyeki flos may be a useful source for the cure and/or prevention of septic arthritis, and the validated method was useful for the quality control of C. coreana Uyeki. ..
- Cho H, Kim J, Lee J, Kim W, Jung J, Park C, et al. SHORT VEGETATIVE PHASE (SVP) protein negatively regulates miR172 transcription via direct binding to the pri-miR172a promoter in Arabidopsis. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:2332-7 pubmed publisher..EMSA and ChIP analysis demonstrated that SVP protein binds to the CArG motifs in the miR172a promoter. These results suggest that SVP protein directly regulates miR172 transcription in Arabidopsis. ..
- Jung J, Ju Y, Seo P, Lee J, Park C. The SOC1-SPL module integrates photoperiod and gibberellic acid signals to control flowering time in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2012;69:577-88 pubmed publisher..Our observations indicate that the SOC1-SPL module serves as a molecular link that integrates photoperiod and GA signals to promote flowering in Arabidopsis. ..
- Min S, Kim D. Kakkalide and irisolidone: HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors isolated from the flower of Pueraria thunbergiana. Biol Pharm Bull. 2007;30:1965-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that PT can improve hyperlipidemia, and the hypolipidemic effect may be due to HMG-CoA reductase...
- Lappan S. Flowers are an important food for small apes in southern Sumatra. Am J Primatol. 2009;71:624-35 pubmed publisher..It is possible that relatively high local availability of these important siamang plant foods is one factor promoting high siamang density in the study area...
- Kim J, Kim J, Lee H, Lim H, Lee D, Kim D, et al. Suppression of inducible nitric oxide synthase expression by furfuran lignans from flower buds of Magnolia fargesii in BV-2 microglial cells. Phytother Res. 2010;24:748-53 pubmed publisher..These results imply that lignans from Magnolia fargesii might be beneficial for the treatment of neuro-inflammatory diseases through the inhibition of iNOS expression and peroxynitrite scavenging potential. ..
- Ryu J, Park C, Seo P. The floral repressor BROTHER OF FT AND TFL1 (BFT) modulates flowering initiation under high salinity in Arabidopsis. Mol Cells. 2011;32:295-303 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our observations suggest that BFT mediates salt stress-responsive flowering, providing an adaptive strategy that ensures reproductive success under unfavorable stress conditions. ..
- Lee H, Yoo S, Lee J, Kim W, Yoo S, Fitzgerald H, et al. Genetic framework for flowering-time regulation by ambient temperature-responsive miRNAs in Arabidopsis. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:3081-93 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest a genetic framework for flowering-time regulation by ambient temperature-responsive miRNAs under non-stress temperature conditions. ..
- Kim S, Kim S, Park C. A membrane-associated NAC transcription factor regulates salt-responsive flowering via FLOWERING LOCUS T in Arabidopsis. Planta. 2007;226:647-54 pubmed..Furthermore, FT was significantly repressed by high salt. We therefore propose that NTL8 mediates salt-responsive flowering via FT in Arabidopsis. ..
- Kim S, Choi K, Park C, Hwang H, Lee I. SUPPRESSOR OF FRIGIDA4, encoding a C2H2-Type zinc finger protein, represses flowering by transcriptional activation of Arabidopsis FLOWERING LOCUS C. Plant Cell. 2006;18:2985-98 pubmed..Thus, we propose that LD binds to SUF4 to suppress its activity in the absence of FRI. ..
- Seo P, Park J, Kang S, Kim S, Park C. An Arabidopsis senescence-associated protein SAG29 regulates cell viability under high salinity. Planta. 2011;233:189-200 pubmed publisher..We propose that the SAG29 protein may serve as a molecular link that integrates environmental stress responses into senescing process. ..
- Jung K, Oh S, Kim Y, Yoo K, Cui M, Shin J. Arabidopsis histidine-containing phosphotransfer factor 4 (AHP4) negatively regulates secondary wall thickening of the anther endothecium during flowering. Mol Cells. 2008;25:294-300 pubmed..Our study indicates that AHP4 negatively regulates thickening of the secondary cell wall of the anther endothecium, and provides new insight into the role of cytokinins in formation of secondary cell walls via the action of AHP4. ..
- Kim J, Lee J, Kim W, Jung H, Huijser P, Ahn J. The microRNA156-SQUAMOSA PROMOTER BINDING PROTEIN-LIKE3 module regulates ambient temperature-responsive flowering via FLOWERING LOCUS T in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2012;159:461-78 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that the interaction between the miR156-SPL3 module and FT is part of the regulatory mechanism controlling flowering time in response to ambient temperature. ..
- Kwak M, Min S, Lee S, Kim K, Liu J, Paek K, et al. A sepal-expressed ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase gene (NtAGP) is required for petal expansion growth in 'Xanthi' tobacco. Plant Physiol. 2007;145:277-89 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that NtAGP plays a crucial role in the morphogenesis of petal limbs in 'Xanthi' through the synthesis of starch, which is the main carbohydrate source for expansion growth of petal limbs, in sepal tissues...
- Kim O, Jung J, Park C. An Arabidopsis F-box protein regulates tapetum degeneration and pollen maturation during anther development. Planta. 2010;232:353-66 pubmed publisher..It physically interacts with the Arabidopsis-Skp1-like1 protein via the F-box motif. These observations indicate that the RMF gene encodes an F-box protein functioning in tapetum degeneration during anther development. ..
- Jung K, Kim Y, Yoo K, Ok S, Cui M, Jeong B, et al. A cystathionine-?-synthase domain-containing protein, CBSX2, regulates endothecial secondary cell wall thickening in anther development. Plant Cell Physiol. 2013;54:195-208 pubmed publisher..Our findings have revealed that CBSX2 modulates the H(2)O(2) status, which is linked to the JA response and in turn controls secondary wall thickening of the endothecial cells in anthers for dehiscence to occur. ..
- Seo P, Ryu J, Kang S, Park C. Modulation of sugar metabolism by an INDETERMINATE DOMAIN transcription factor contributes to photoperiodic flowering in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2011;65:418-29 pubmed publisher..SUS4 expression also responds to photoperiodic signals. Notably, the AtIDD8 gene is suppressed by sugar deprivation. Therefore, we conclude that AtIDD8 regulation of sugar transport and metabolism is linked to photoperiodic flowering. ..
- Kim M, Shin J, Kang Y, Shim S, Lee S. Divergence of flowering genes in soybean. J Biosci. 2012;37:857-70 pubmed..The gene list catalogued in this study provides primary insight for understanding the regulation of flowering time and maturity in soybean. ..
- Lee J, Kim J, Kim S, Cho H, Kim J, Ahn J. The E3 ubiquitin ligase HOS1 regulates low ambient temperature-responsive flowering in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2012;53:1802-14 pubmed publisher..Moreover, hos1 mutants were insensitive to intermittent cold. Collectively, our results suggest that HOS1 acts as a common regulator in the signaling pathways that control flowering time in response to low ambient temperature...
- Hwan Lee J, Joon Kim J, Ahn J. Role of SEPALLATA3 (SEP3) as a downstream gene of miR156-SPL3-FT circuitry in ambient temperature-responsive flowering. Plant Signal Behav. 2012;7:1151-4 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the miR156-SPL3-FT circuitry directly or indirectly regulates SEP3 expression for the regulation of ambient temperature-responsive flowering in Arabidopsis. ..
- Choi K, Kim S, Kim S, Kim M, Hyun Y, Lee H, et al. SUPPRESSOR OF FRIGIDA3 encodes a nuclear ACTIN-RELATED PROTEIN6 required for floral repression in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2005;17:2647-60 pubmed..Subcellular localization using a green fluorescent protein fusion showed that Arabidopsis ARP6 is located at distinct regions of the nuclear periphery. ..
- Yun J, Kim Y, Jung J, Seo P, Park C. The AT-hook motif-containing protein AHL22 regulates flowering initiation by modifying FLOWERING LOCUS T chromatin in Arabidopsis. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:15307-16 pubmed publisher..We propose that AHL22 acts as a chromatin remodeling factor that modifies the architecture of FT chromatin by modulating both H3 acetylation and methylation. ..
- Huh J, Seo B, Baek Y, Lee S, Lee J, Choi D, et al. Standardized butanol fraction of WIN-34B suppresses cartilage destruction via inhibited production of matrix metalloproteinase and inflammatory mediator in osteoarthritis human cartilage explants culture and chondrocytes. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012;12:256 pubmed publisher
- Nguyen N, Kim J, Kwon J, Jeong C, Lee W, Lee D, et al. Characterization of Arabidopsis thaliana FLAVONOL SYNTHASE 1 (FLS1) -overexpression plants in response to abiotic stress. Plant Physiol Biochem. 2016;103:133-42 pubmed publisher..Taken together, FLS1 can be manipulated (i.e., silenced or overexpressed) to redirect the flavonoid biosynthetic pathway toward anthocyanin production without negative effects on plant growth and development. ..