Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on vertebrates in Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
Locale: Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
- Bourque G. Transposable elements in gene regulation and in the evolution of vertebrate genomes. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2009;19:607-12 pubmed publisher..I will also summarize results that show how transposable elements have been a major catalyst of structural rearrangements throughout evolution. ..
- Lee A, Brenner S, Venkatesh B. Mouse transgenesis identifies conserved functional enhancers and cis-regulatory motif in the vertebrate LIM homeobox gene Lhx2 locus. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20088 pubmed publisher..Other approaches such as sequence comparison between multiple mammals are required to identify and characterize such enhancers. ..
- Chauhan S, Zheng X, Tan Y, Tay B, Lim S, Venkatesh B, et al. Evolution of the Cdk-activator Speedy/RINGO in vertebrates. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2012;69:3835-50 pubmed publisher..Despite the interspecies variation, Speedy is conserved among most species examined. Our results provide a complete picture of the Speedy gene family and its evolution. ..
- Tay H, Ng Y, Manser E. A vertebrate-specific Chp-PAK-PIX pathway maintains E-cadherin at adherens junctions during zebrafish epiboly. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10125 pubmed publisher..These events may mirror the requirement for PAK2 signaling essential for the proper formation of the blood-brain barrier. ..
- Ravi V, Bhatia S, Gautier P, Loosli F, Tay B, Tay A, et al. Sequencing of Pax6 loci from the elephant shark reveals a family of Pax6 genes in vertebrate genomes, forged by ancient duplications and divergences. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003177 pubmed publisher..In summary, our study reveals that the pleiotropic functions of Pax6 in vertebrates are served by a divergent family of Pax6 genes, forged by ancient duplication events and by independent, lineage-specific gene losses. ..
- Venkatesh B, Ning Y, Brenner S. Late changes in spliceosomal introns define clades in vertebrate evolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:10267-71 pubmed..Our intron-based cladogram establishes the difficult-to-ascertain phylogenetic relationships of some ray-finned fishes. For example, it shows that bichirs (Polypterus) are the sister group of all other extant ray-finned fishes...
- Lee A, Yang Y, Brenner S, Venkatesh B. TFCONES: a database of vertebrate transcription factor-encoding genes and their associated conserved noncoding elements. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:441 pubmed..The conserved noncoding elements identified in TFCONES represent a catalog of highly prioritized putative cis-regulatory elements of TF-encoding genes and are candidates for functional assay. ..
- Liang D, Chang J, Chin A, Smith A, Kelly C, Weinberg E, et al. The role of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in vasculogenesis, angiogenesis, and hematopoiesis in zebrafish development. Mech Dev. 2001;108:29-43 pubmed..Moreover, these effects are most dramatic when both vegf isoforms are co-expressed, indicating a synergistic effect of the expression of the two forms of the VEGF protein. ..
- Venkatesh B, Erdmann M, Brenner S. Molecular synapomorphies resolve evolutionary relationships of extant jawed vertebrates. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:11382-7 pubmed publisher..Our study also provides molecular evidence to support the monophyly of living tetrapods and teleosts...