Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
Locale: Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
Publications1288 found, 100 shown here
- Tan B, Wong P, Bian J. Hydrogen sulfide: a novel signaling molecule in the central nervous system. Neurochem Int. 2010;56:3-10 pubmed publisher..The role of H(2)S as an important mediator in a myriad of neural functions inclusive of neuroprotection is also discussed throughout the review. ..
- Xiang W, Ke Z, Zhang Y, Cheng G, Irwan I, Sulochana K, et al. Isthmin is a novel secreted angiogenesis inhibitor that inhibits tumour growth in mice. J Cell Mol Med. 2011;15:359-74 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that ISM is a novel endogenous angiogenesis inhibitor with functions likely in physiological as well as pathological angiogenesis. ..
- Teissier S, Pang C, Thierry F. The E2F5 repressor is an activator of E6/E7 transcription and of the S-phase entry in HPV18-associated cells. Oncogene. 2010;29:5061-70 pubmed publisher..Diverting the function of E2F5 from a cell-cycle repressor into an activator might contribute to the higher oncogenic potential of HPV18 when compared with other high-risk HPV types...
- Lavanya R, Kawasaki R, Tay W, Cheung G, Mitchell P, Saw S, et al. Hyperopic refractive error and shorter axial length are associated with age-related macular degeneration: the Singapore Malay Eye Study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:6247-52 pubmed publisher..01) increased risk of early AMD, respectively. No significant association was noted of refractive error and ocular biometry with late AMD. Hyperopic refractive error and shorter axial length are associated with early AMD in Asian eyes. ..
- Zhang J, Lian Q, Zhu G, Zhou F, Sui L, Tan C, et al. A human iPSC model of Hutchinson Gilford Progeria reveals vascular smooth muscle and mesenchymal stem cell defects. Cell Stem Cell. 2011;8:31-45 pubmed publisher..Because MSCs reside in low oxygen niches in vivo, we propose that, in HGPS, this causes additional depletion of the MSC pool responsible for replacing differentiated cells lost to progerin toxicity. ..
- Zhang Z, Chang C, Goh W, Sung W, Cheung E. CENTDIST: discovery of co-associated factors by motif distribution. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:W391-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, CENTDIST, which exploits the imbalanced nature of co-TF binding, is a user-friendly, parameter-less and powerful predictive web-based program for understanding the mechanism of transcriptional co-regulation. ..
- Lam K, Guo H, Wilson G, Kohl S, Wong F. Identification of variants in CNGA3 as cause for achromatopsia by exome sequencing of a single patient. Arch Ophthalmol. 2011;129:1212-7 pubmed publisher..This new tool will likely have major effects on the management and research of rare genetic eye diseases in the new era of personalized genomic medicine. ..
- Lam S, Tong L, Yong S, Li B, Chaurasia S, Shui G, et al. Meibum lipid composition in Asians with dry eye disease. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24339 pubmed publisher..This study also represents an attempt towards identification of lipid species in meibum which could serve as marker for DTS. ..
- Tan E, Soh K, Ngiam K. Colonic architectural change on colonoscopy in patients taking psychotropic medications. Surg Endosc. 2013;27:1601-6 pubmed publisher..This could predispose such a patient to difficult colonoscopy and therefore increase colonoscopy-associated risks. Medication history should be elicited prior to colonoscopy. ..
- Yu F, Sim A, Li C, Li Y, Zhao X, Wang D, et al. Identification of a subpopulation of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells with cancer stem-like cell properties by high aldehyde dehydrogenase activity. Laryngoscope. 2013;123:1903-11 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence for the existence of cancer stem-like cells in the NPC cell line C666-1 cells. ..
- Bu L, Chen Q, Wang H, Zhang T, Hetmanski J, Schwender H, et al. Novel evidence of association with nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate was shown for single nucleotide polymorphisms in FOXF2 gene in an Asian population. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2015;103:857-62 pubmed publisher..41, 2.98) and 1.77 (95% confidence interval = 1.26, 2.49), respectively. Our results provided statistical evidence of linkage and association between FOXF2 and nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate. ..
- Ng Y, Wah W, Liu N, Zhou S, Ho A, Pek P, et al. Associations between gender and cardiac arrest outcomes in Pan-Asian out-of-hospital cardiac arrest patients. Resuscitation. 2016;102:116-21 pubmed publisher..Differences in survival outcomes between reproductive and menopausal women highlight a need for further investigations into the plausible social, pathologic or hormonal basis. ..
- Karkhanis A, Lam H, Venkatesan G, Koh S, Chai C, Zhou L, et al. Multiple modes of inhibition of human cytochrome P450 2J2 by dronedarone, amiodarone and their active metabolites. Biochem Pharmacol. 2016;107:67-80 pubmed publisher..Our novel findings illuminate the possible mechanisms of DDIs and cardiac adverse effects due to both reversible inhibition and irreversible inactivation of CYP2J2 by dronedarone, amiodarone and their active metabolites. ..
- Nguyen Q, Nguyen L, Tran B, Phan H, Le H, Nguyen H, et al. Co-financing for viral load monitoring during the course of antiretroviral therapy among patients with HIV/AIDS in Vietnam: A contingent valuation survey. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0172050 pubmed publisher..Treating psychiatric co-morbidities, promoting healthcare services utilization, and removing barriers to accessing health insurance may increase WTP for monitoring of HIV/AIDS treatment among HIV+-positive Vietnamese patients. ..
- Shaik F, Kumar A. ZnO nanoparticles and their acarbose-capped nanohybrids as inhibitors for human salivary amylase. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2017;11:329-335 pubmed publisher..From the inhibition studies, it is confirmed that these nanosystems showed better inhibition activity at physiological temperature and pH. These nanosystems are projected to have potential applications in diabetes type II control. ..
- Chuang X, Ooi C, Chin S, Png M, Wong S, Tay S, et al. What triggers in trigger finger? The flexor tendons at the flexor digitorum superficialis bifurcation. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017;70:1411-1419 pubmed publisher..001). Triggering occurs on flexing the finger when the enlarged combined flexor tendon mass at the specific anatomical region of the FDS bifurcation impacts on the thickened A1 pulley, resisting its excursion. ..
- Loh F, Tan A, Kumar J, Ng S. Ovarian response after laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy for endometriotic cysts in 132 monitored cycles. Fertil Steril. 1999;72:316-21 pubmed..Postcystectomy ovaries produced a comparable number of follicles as normal ovaries when stimulated with gonadotropins. ..
- Tan K, Tan K, Chan S, Yee K, Bevort M, Ang K, et al. MAP-1, a novel proapoptotic protein containing a BH3-like motif that associates with Bax through its Bcl-2 homology domains. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:2802-7 pubmed..These data suggest that MAP-1 mediates apoptosis through a mechanism that involves binding to Bax. ..
- Kurup A, Tee W, Loo L, Lin R. Infection of central nervous system by motile Enterococcus: first case report. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:820-2 pubmed..This is probably the first case report of motile Enterococcus infection of the central nervous system. ..
- Brenner S, Venkatesh B, Yap W, Chou C, Tay A, Ponniah S, et al. Conserved regulation of the lymphocyte-specific expression of lck in the Fugu and mammals. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:2936-41 pubmed publisher..The short promoter of the Fugu lck isolated by us offers a powerful tool for labeling T cells, targeting expression, and manipulating T cell activity in fishes as well as in mammals...
- Chan K, Goh K, Chong C, Teo E, Lau G, Ling A. Epidemic hand, foot and mouth disease caused by human enterovirus 71, Singapore. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003;9:78-85 pubmed..A preparedness plan for severe HFMD outbreaks provided for the prompt, coordinated actions needed to control the epidemic...
- Ti T, Kumarasinghe G, Taylor M, Tan S, Ee A, Chua C, et al. What is true community-acquired urinary tract infection? Comparison of pathogens identified in urine from routine outpatient specimens and from community clinics in a prospective study. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2003;22:242-5 pubmed..Hence, surveys based on laboratory data alone may overestimate resistance rates, leading to misinformed choices being made when treatment is empirical. ..
- Wang T, Wong K, Hong W. A unique region of RILP distinguishes it from its related proteins in its regulation of lysosomal morphology and interaction with Rab7 and Rab34. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:815-26 pubmed..These results define a unique region in RILP responsible for its specific role in regulating lysosomal morphology as well as in its interaction with Rab7 and Rab34. ..
- Du X, Rao M, Chen X, Wu W, Mahalingam S, Balasundaram D. The homologous putative GTPases Grn1p from fission yeast and the human GNL3L are required for growth and play a role in processing of nucleolar pre-rRNA. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:460-74 pubmed..Our analysis uncovers an important role for Grn1p/GNL3L within this unique group of nucleolar GTPases. ..
- Ngo R, Tan H, Balakrishnan A, Lim S, Lazaroo D. Auditory neuropathy/auditory dys-synchrony detected by universal newborn hearing screening. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2006;70:1299-306 pubmed..We suggest that AN/AD can occur in low-risk infants and hence screening of high-risk cases alone is insufficient. Our findings are discussed with reference to the current literature...
- Sagara Rosemeyer M, Davies B. Integration of religious traditions in Japanese children's view of death and afterlife. Death Stud. 2007;31:223-47 pubmed..Their notions of death and the afterlife incorporated three main religious traditions in Japan (Shintoism, Buddhism, and Confucianism) as well as Christianity, as illustrated by 3 case examples and children's drawings. ..
- Ooi Y, Lam C, Sung M, Tan W, Goh T, Fung D, et al. Effects of cognitive-behavioural therapy on anxiety for children with high-functioning autistic spectrum disorders. Singapore Med J. 2008;49:215-20 pubmed..Interpretation of the findings, recommendations for future research and implications of the present study are presented. ..
- Lai W, Irwan A, Goh H, Howe H, Yu D, Valle Oñate R, et al. Anti-inflammatory effects of sphingosine kinase modulation in inflammatory arthritis. J Immunol. 2008;181:8010-7 pubmed..Together, these results demonstrate SphK modulation may provide a novel approach in treating chronic autoimmune conditions such as RA by inhibiting the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines. ..
- Lee S, Liong K, Tse K, Lee H. Biomechanics of the deformity of septal L-Struts. Laryngoscope. 2010;120:1508-15 pubmed publisher..The preservation of an arc of cartilage and a wider dorsal strut increased the stability of the structure. ..
- Bhattacharjya S. De novo designed lipopolysaccharide binding peptides: structure based development of antiendotoxic and antimicrobial drugs. Curr Med Chem. 2010;17:3080-93 pubmed..Structure-activity correlations (SAR) of these peptides have been discussed, highlighting future design to achieve potent LPS neutralizing molecules. ..
- Yap K, See C, Chan A. Clinically-relevant chemotherapy interactions with complementary and alternative medicines in patients with cancer. Recent Pat Food Nutr Agric. 2010;2:12-55 pubmed..Furthermore, close monitoring of pharmacological effects and plasma drug levels should be carried out to avoid toxicity and ensure adequate chemotherapeutic coverage in patients with cancer. ..
- Chacko E, Surrun S, Mubarack Sani T, Pappachan J. Chronic viral hepatitis and chronic kidney disease. Postgrad Med J. 2010;86:486-92 pubmed publisher..This review discusses the pathogenesis, clinical characteristics and management issues related to chronic viral hepatitis and CKD. ..
- Lim M, Leong J. Allergic rhinitis: evidence-based practice. Singapore Med J. 2010;51:542-50 pubmed..The article should be of interest to otolaryngologists as well as allergists, respiratory physicians and family practitioners. ..
- Velaithan R, Kang J, Hirpara J, Loh T, Goh B, Le Bras M, et al. The small GTPase Rac1 is a novel binding partner of Bcl-2 and stabilizes its antiapoptotic activity. Blood. 2011;117:6214-26 pubmed publisher..These data provide a novel facet in the biology of Bcl-2 with potential implications for targeted anticancer drug design. ..
- Chen L, Zhou L, Chan E, Neo J, Beuerman R. Characterization of the human tear metabolome by LC-MS/MS. J Proteome Res. 2011;10:4876-82 pubmed publisher..Unsupervised chemometric analysis showed good separation between tear samples and blanks (PC1 = 87%, R(2) = 0.91, Q(2) = 0.87). The results demonstrated the potential of our platform for untargeted metabonomic studies of eye diseases. ..
- Tripathi A, Puddick J, Prinsep M, Rottmann M, Chan K, Chen D, et al. Lagunamide C, a cytotoxic cyclodepsipeptide from the marine cyanobacterium Lyngbya majuscula. Phytochemistry. 2011;72:2369-75 pubmed publisher..29 ?M when tested against Plasmodium falciparum. In addition, lagunamide C exhibited weak anti-swarming activity when tested at 100 ppm against the Gram-negative bacterial strain, Pseudomonas aeruginosa PA01. ..
- Gibson L, Lee T, Koh L, Brook B, Gardner T, Barlow J, et al. Primary forests are irreplaceable for sustaining tropical biodiversity. Nature. 2011;478:378-81 pubmed publisher..Our results clearly indicate that when it comes to maintaining tropical biodiversity, there is no substitute for primary forests. ..
- Ward A, Bidet K, Yinglin A, Ler S, Hogue K, Blackstock W, et al. Quantitative mass spectrometry of DENV-2 RNA-interacting proteins reveals that the DEAD-box RNA helicase DDX6 binds the DB1 and DB2 3' UTR structures. RNA Biol. 2011;8:1173-86 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the DENV-2 3' UTR is a site for assembly of PB and SG proteins and, for DDX6, assembly on the 3' UTR is required for DENV replication. ..
- Chang P, Chien L, Chong L, Kuo Y, Hsiao J. Glycated matrix up-regulates inflammatory signaling similarly to Porphyromonas gingivalis lipopolysaccharide. J Periodontal Res. 2013;48:184-93 pubmed publisher..gingivalis LPS. Periodontal inflammation also led to matrix glycation, thus demonstrating a definite interaction between diabetes and periodontitis. ..
- Ramachandran L, Manu K, Shanmugam M, Li F, Siveen K, Vali S, et al. Isorhamnetin inhibits proliferation and invasion and induces apoptosis through the modulation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor ? activation pathway in gastric cancer. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:38028-40 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings clearly indicate that antitumor effects of IH may be mediated through modulation of the PPAR-? activation pathway in GC. ..
- Li Y, Teo W, Low M, Meijer L, Sanderson I, Pettersson S, et al. Constitutive TLR4 signalling in intestinal epithelium reduces tumor load by increasing apoptosis in APC(Min/+) mice. Oncogene. 2014;33:369-77 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data reveal that host microbiota-mediated signal transduction via TLR4 in intestinal epithelial cells is far more complex than what is previously reported. ..
- Xue Z, Feng C, Liu W, Tan S. A role of kindlin-3 in integrin ?M?2 outside-in signaling and the Syk-Vav1-Rac1/Cdc42 signaling axis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56911 pubmed publisher..We also show that kindlin-3 is required for the integrin ?M?2-Syk-Vav1 signaling axis that regulates Rac1 and Cdc42 activities. These findings reinforce a role for kindlin-3 in integrin outside-in signaling. ..
- Tan E, Foo J, Tan L, Au W, Prakash K, Ng E, et al. SLC1A2 variant associated with essential tremor but not Parkinson disease in Chinese subjects. Neurology. 2013;80:1618-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, we also investigated the variant in patients with Parkinson disease (PD) because the GWAS LINGO1 variant has been implicated in both ET and PD and etiologic links between the conditions have been suggested.(6.)..
- Lu X, Sachs F, Ramsay L, Jacques P, Goke J, Bourque G, et al. The retrovirus HERVH is a long noncoding RNA required for human embryonic stem cell identity. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2014;21:423-5 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, HERVH is associated with OCT4, coactivators and Mediator subunits. Together, these results uncover a new role of species-specific transposable elements in hESCs. ..
- Hou Y, Arai S, Kitaguchi T, Suzuki M. Intracellular bottom-up generation of targeted nanosensors for single-molecule imaging. Nanoscale. 2016;8:3218-25 pubmed publisher..Our approach is potentially a suitable tool for visualizing localized cellular activities with single probe sensitivity in living cells. ..
- Leong K, Huston D. Understanding the pathogenesis of allergic asthma using mouse models. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2001;87:96-109; quiz 110, pubmed..AHR, the hallmark of asthma, is attributable to airway inflammation ultimately mediated by helper T cells via three pathways, at least. The mouse model is also a valuable testing ground for new therapies of asthma. ..
- Peng Y, Seow C, Low C, Chew W, Pho R. Continuous local anaesthesia for post-operative mobilization of injured digits. J Hand Surg Br. 2003;28:513-9 pubmed..Complications were few and were easily managed as the catheters were distal, superficial and accessible. This is an effective, specific and safe method of providing sustained postoperative analgesia for mobilization. ..
- Tan M, Singh B. Difficulties in diagnosing lesions in the floor of the mouth--report of two rare cases. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2004;33:72-6 pubmed..Recovery for both cases were uneventful and no recurrence or complication was noted to date when this article was written. The two extreme natures of the lesions manifested in the region serve as a cautionary note to clinicians. ..
- Lim W, Chee S. Retinal detachment in atopic dermatitis can masquerade as acute panuveitis with rapidly progressive cataract. Retina. 2004;24:953-6 pubmed..To report two cases of retinal detachment in young patients with atopic dermatitis masquerading as acute panuveitis...
- Chia A, Seenyen L, Long Q. A retrospective review of 287 consecutive children in singapore presenting with intermittent exotropia. J AAPOS. 2005;9:257-63 pubmed..2% at 1 year postoperation. Half the subjects presenting with an intermittent exotropia eventually had surgery. In the remaining nonsurgical subjects, intermittent exotropia, once present, appeared to be a relatively stable condition. ..
- Heng B, Bested S, Chan S, Cao T. A proposed design for the cryopreservation of intact and adherent human embryonic stem cell colonies. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2005;41:77-9 pubmed..The proposed design is envisioned to facilitate the cryopreservation of intact adherent hES cell colonies that could assist the development of automated systems for handling bulk quantities of cells. ..
- Wu H, Sahadevan S, Ding Y. Factors associated with functional decline of hospitalised older persons following discharge from an acute geriatric unit. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2006;35:17-23 pubmed..Several factors were found to be associated with this functional decline, though no single predictive model similar to the other published studies was identified. ..
- Lim D, Lee Y, Chang A. Rapid diagnosis of Penicillium marneffei infection by fine needle aspiration cytology. J Clin Pathol. 2006;59:443-4 pubmed..In smears the demonstration of yeast cells with a distinctive central septum confirms the diagnosis. ..
- Tan E, Tong J, Pavanni R, Wong M, Zhao Y. Genetic analysis of SCA 2 and 3 repeat expansions in essential tremor and atypical Parkinsonism. Mov Disord. 2007;22:1971-4 pubmed..However, in the long-term follow-up of patients who present with an ET phenotype, clinicians should be vigilant for other neurological signs, which may be point to an alternate diagnosis. ..
- Aung T, Yong V, Lim M, Venkataraman D, Toh J, Chew P, et al. Lack of association between the rs2664538 polymorphism in the MMP-9 gene and primary angle closure glaucoma in Singaporean subjects. J Glaucoma. 2008;17:257-8 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to confirm this association in Singaporean Chinese subjects with both acute and chronic PACG...
- Vararattanavech A, Lin X, Torres J, Tan S. Disruption of the integrin alphaLbeta2 transmembrane domain interface by beta2 Thr-686 mutation activates alphaLbeta2 and promotes micro-clustering of the alphaL subunits. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:3239-49 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that disruption of the TM interface changes alphaLbeta2 ligand binding affinity, and it may contribute to alphaL micro-cluster formation. ..
- Tan C, Chong Y, Loganath A, Chan Y, Ravichandran J, Lee C, et al. Possible gene-gene interaction of KIR2DL4 with its cognate ligand HLA-G in modulating risk for preeclampsia. Reprod Sci. 2009;16:1135-43 pubmed publisher..001). These data provide the first preliminary evidence suggesting that although KIR2DL4 itself is not associated with PE, it may modulate the effect of HLA-G*0106 on risk for PE. ..
- Ung C, Lam S, Hlaing M, Winata C, Korzh S, Mathavan S, et al. Mercury-induced hepatotoxicity in zebrafish: in vivo mechanistic insights from transcriptome analysis, phenotype anchoring and targeted gene expression validation. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:212 pubmed publisher..The molecular conservation of mercury-induced hepatotoxicity between zebrafish and human cell line reveals the feasibility of using zebrafish to model molecular toxicity in human for toxicant risk assessments. ..
- Kini R, Chinnasamy A. Nucleotide sequence determines the accelerated rate of point mutations. Toxicon. 2010;56:295-304 pubmed publisher..These findings show that mutation rates of proteins, and hence of the organisms, are DNA sequence-dependent and thus provide a proximate mechanism of evolution at the molecular level. ..
- Heng B, Zhao X, Xiong S, Ng K, Boey F, Loo J. Toxicity of zinc oxide (ZnO) nanoparticles on human bronchial epithelial cells (BEAS-2B) is accentuated by oxidative stress. Food Chem Toxicol. 2010;48:1762-6 pubmed publisher..Hence, initial exposure of BEAS-2B cells to oxidative stress sensitized their subsequent response to cytotoxic challenge with ZnO nanoparticles. ..
- Kunarso G, Chia N, Jeyakani J, Hwang C, Lu X, Chan Y, et al. Transposable elements have rewired the core regulatory network of human embryonic stem cells. Nat Genet. 2010;42:631-4 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that species-specific transposable elements have substantially altered the transcriptional circuitry of pluripotent stem cells. ..
- Bak X, Yang J, Wang S. Baculovirus-transduced bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells for systemic cancer therapy. Cancer Gene Ther. 2010;17:721-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that baculoviral transduction of MSCs is an attractive option to generate targeting vehicles for systemic cancer therapy. ..
- Dalmasso C, Broet P. Detection of chromosomal abnormalities using high resolution arrays in clinical cancer research. J Biomed Inform. 2011;44:936-42 pubmed publisher..The interest of the proposed procedure in clinical cancer research is then illustrated by the analysis of real lung adenocarcinoma samples. ..
- Wang B, Niu D, Lai L, Ren E. p53 increases MHC class I expression by upregulating the endoplasmic reticulum aminopeptidase ERAP1. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2359 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests a previously unrecognized link between p53 function and the immunosurveillance of cancer and infection. ..
- Silver M, Sterns L, Piccini J, Joung B, Ching C, Pickett R, et al. Feedback to providers improves evidence-based implantable cardioverter-defibrillator programming and reduces shocks. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:545-553 pubmed publisher..72, 95% confidence interval 0.58-0.90, P = .003). Providing programming feedback reports improves adherence to evidence-based shock reduction programming and is associated with lower risk of ICD shocks. ..
- Aris I, Soh S, Tint M, Saw S, Rajadurai V, Godfrey K, et al. Associations of infant milk feed type on early postnatal growth of offspring exposed and unexposed to gestational diabetes in utero. Eur J Nutr. 2017;56:55-64 pubmed publisher..This study is registered under the Clinical Trials identifier NCT01174875; http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01174875?term=GUSTO&rank=2 . ..
- Lee W, Ooi C, Phua D, Wong M, Chan W, Ng Y. The Little India riot: experience of an emergency department in Singapore. Singapore Med J. 2015;56:677-80 pubmed publisher..The majority of the injuries in this incident were mild and could be managed as outpatient cases. Important lessons were learnt from the incident about the utilisation of manpower and safety of staff in the emergency department. ..
- Jackman J, MÃ©szÃ¡ros T, FÃ¼lÃ¶p T, Urbanics R, Szebeni J, Cho N. Comparison of complement activation-related pseudoallergy in miniature and domestic pigs: foundation of a validatable immune toxicity model. Nanomedicine. 2016;12:933-943 pubmed publisher..In this study, the authors looked at and compared the use of domestic pigs versus miniature pigs as experimental animals for toxicological studies. Their findings confirmed the possible use of miniature pigs for regulatory testing. ..
- Tan K, Chan S, Tan K, Yu V. The Caenorhabditis elegans sex-determining protein FEM-2 and its human homologue, hFEM-2, are Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase phosphatases that promote apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:44193-202 pubmed..Taken together, our data suggest that hFEM-2 and rCaMKPase are mammalian homologues of FEM-2 and they are evolutionarily conserved CaM kinase phosphatases that may have a role in apoptosis signaling. ..
- Huynh H, Chow P, Ooi L, Soo K. A possible role for insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 autocrine/paracrine loops in controlling hepatocellular carcinoma cell proliferation. Cell Growth Differ. 2002;13:115-22 pubmed..Our data indicate that loss of autocrine/paracrine IGFBP-3 loops may lead to HCC tumor growth and suggest that modulating production of the IGFs, IGFBP-3, and IGF-IR may represent a novel approach in the treatment of HCC. ..
- Chan Y, Wilder Smith A, Ong B, Kumarasinghe G, Wilder Smith E. Adult community acquired bacterial meningitis in a Singaporean teaching hospital. A seven-year overview (1993-2000). Singapore Med J. 2002;43:632-6 pubmed..Pathogens are similar to those reported in other studies but for an outbreak of Group B Streptococcus in 1998. There were a high number of "culture-negative" cases which may be due to preceding antibiotic intervention. ..
- Ang P, Tay Y, Walford N. Infantile myofibromatosis: a case report and review of the literature. Cutis. 2004;73:229-31 pubmed..We present a case of infantile myofibromatosis in a 1-year-old boy and review the literature...
- Nasirudeen A, Tan K. Caspase-3-like protease influences but is not essential for DNA fragmentation in Blastocystis undergoing apoptosis. Eur J Cell Biol. 2004;83:477-82 pubmed..hominis is not wholly dependent on caspase-3-like protease activity and is associated with mitochondrial dysregulation. This is the first report showing evidence for complex apoptotic pathways in a unicellular parasite. ..
- Seet L, Hong W. Endofin recruits clathrin to early endosomes via TOM1. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:575-87 pubmed..These results, taken together, suggest that TOM1 is an important molecule for membrane recruitment of clathrin, and that endofin is able to exploit this recruitment at the endosome. ..
- Cao S, Low K, Glover R, Crasta S, Ng S, Buss A, et al. Sundaicumones A and B, polyprenylated acylphloroglucinol derivatives from Calophyllumsundaicum with weak activity against the glucocorticoid receptor. J Nat Prod. 2006;69:707-9 pubmed..The structures of 1 and 2, which were established by spectroscopic methods, contain a 3-substituted hexanoic acid unit not previously reported in other polyprenylated acylphloroglucinols...
- Sebastin S, Lim A. Clinical assessment of absence of the palmaris longus and its association with other anatomical anomalies-- a Chinese population study. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2006;35:249-53 pubmed..Although all techniques of examining for the absence of the PL are equally effective, the method suggested by Mishra seems the best as it was easily understood by subjects and can be used even when thumb abduction is not possible. ..
- Zhang H, Lin Q, Ponnusamy S, Kothandaraman N, Lim T, Zhao C, et al. Differential recovery of membrane proteins after extraction by aqueous methanol and trifluoroethanol. Proteomics. 2007;7:1654-63 pubmed..Sequential and adjunctive use of the organic solvents MeOH and TFE increases the number of proteins identified, and the confidence of their identification. We show that this strategy is effective for shotgun membrane proteome analysis...
- Yun C, Liu S, Lim S, Wang T, Chung B, Jiat Teo J, et al. Specific inhibition of caspase-8 and -9 in CHO cells enhances cell viability in batch and fed-batch cultures. Metab Eng. 2007;9:406-18 pubmed..These findings can be valuable in the development of strategies for genetically engineering CHO cells to counter apoptotic death in batch and fed-batch cultures. ..
- Ang L, Ang L. Current understanding of the treatment and outcome of acute primary angle-closure glaucoma: an Asian perspective. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2008;37:210-5 pubmed..Regular follow-up of patients with PACG is important for the early detection of progression of the disease and visual field deterioration. ..
- Chia S, Tan C, Lim G, Sim X, Pawitan Y, Reilly M, et al. Incidence, mortality and survival patterns of prostate cancer among residents in Singapore from 1968 to 2002. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:368 pubmed publisher..Ethnic differences in prostate cancer incidence, mortality and survival patterns were observed. There has been a substantial improvement in RSRs since the 1990s for the Chinese. ..
- Lim E, Zhang S, Li J, Yap W, Howe T, Tan B, et al. Using whole genome amplification (WGA) of low-volume biopsies to assess the prognostic role of EGFR, KRAS, p53, and CMET mutations in advanced-stage non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). J Thorac Oncol. 2009;4:12-21 pubmed publisher..WGA may be used to expand starting deoxyribonucleic acid from low-volume lung biopsies for further analysis of advanced-stage NSCLC. ..
- Tai B, Grundy R, Machin D. On the importance of accounting for competing risks in pediatric cancer trials designed to delay or avoid radiotherapy: I. Basic concepts and first analyses. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010;76:1493-9 pubmed publisher..005) as compared with Gray's test (p = 0.086). To evaluate treatment differences, failing to account for competing risks using appropriate methodology may lead to incorrect interpretations. ..
- Lin W, Chan M, Sim T. Atypical caseinolytic protease homolog from Plasmodium falciparum possesses unusual substrate preference and a functional nuclear localization signal. Parasitol Res. 2009;105:1715-22 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study has shown that PfClpP has a unique peptide cleavage function that is localized at the plasmodial nucleus, probably positioned to elicit a regulatory role in the parasite's pathogenicity...
- Sriram S, Subramanian S, Sathiakumar D, Venkatesh R, Salerno M, McFarlane C, et al. Modulation of reactive oxygen species in skeletal muscle by myostatin is mediated through NF-?B. Aging Cell. 2011;10:931-48 pubmed publisher..Higher levels of Mstn in turn induce muscle wasting by activating proteasomal-mediated catabolism of intracellular proteins. Thus, we propose that inhibition of ROS induced by Mstn could lead to reduced muscle wasting during sarcopenia. ..
- Loh T, Tan K, Saw S, Sethi S. Glycated haemoglobin: what is the diagnostic yield at shortened testing intervals?. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011;94:e40-2 pubmed publisher..12% and 26% of repeat HbA1c exceeded the critical difference before 30 and 90 days testing intervals, respectively. Repeating HbA1c within 4 weeks has poor diagnostic yield and should be avoided. ..
- Dreesen O, Stewart C. Accelerated aging syndromes, are they relevant to normal human aging?. Aging (Albany NY). 2011;3:889-95 pubmed..Whether persistent DNA damage, particularly at telomeres, is the root cause for these pathologies remains to be established, since not all progeroid Lmna mutations result in DNA damage and genome instability. ..
- Van Bever H, Lee B, Shek L, Shek L. Viewpoint: the future of research in pediatric allergy: what should the focus be?. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2012;23:5-10 pubmed publisher..Three aspects of pediatric allergy are distinguished: the prevention, control, and cure. ..