Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on gene duplication in Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
Locale: Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
Topic: gene duplication
- Christoffels A, Koh E, Chia J, Brenner S, Aparicio S, Venkatesh B. Fugu genome analysis provides evidence for a whole-genome duplication early during the evolution of ray-finned fishes. Mol Biol Evol. 2004;21:1146-51 pubmed..These data strongly suggest a whole-genome duplication event early during the evolution of ray-finned fishes, probably before the origin of teleosts...
- Jiang S, Ramamoorthy R, Ramachandran S. Comparative transcriptional profiling and evolutionary analysis of the GRAM domain family in eukaryotes. Dev Biol. 2008;314:418-32 pubmed publisher..Each member may play specialized roles in a specific tissue or stress condition and may function as regulators of environmental and hormonal signaling. ..
- Gwee P, Tay B, Brenner S, Venkatesh B. Characterization of the neurohypophysial hormone gene loci in elephant shark and the Japanese lamprey: origin of the vertebrate neurohypophysial hormone genes. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:47 pubmed publisher..We have also analyzed the neurohypophysial hormone gene locus in an invertebrate chordate, the amphioxus (Branchiostoma floridae)...
- Reza M, Swarup S, Kini R. Structure of two genes encoding parallel prothrombin activators in Tropidechis carinatus snake: gene duplication and recruitment of factor X gene to the venom gland. J Thromb Haemost. 2007;5:117-26 pubmed..Thus, we named this segment as VERSE (Venom Recruitment/Switch Element). To our knowledge, this is the first molecular evidence for the recruitment of a duplicated gene for expression in venom glands by a simple insertion. ..
- Reza M, Minh Le T, Swarup S, Manjunatha Kini R. Molecular evolution caught in action: gene duplication and evolution of molecular isoforms of prothrombin activators in Pseudonaja textilis (brown snake). J Thromb Haemost. 2006;4:1346-53 pubmed..As vertebrates, the snakes also contain a system to activate prothrombin in their own blood during injury. These hemostatic factors are produced in the liver...
- Aparicio S, Chapman J, Stupka E, Putnam N, Chia J, Dehal P, et al. Whole-genome shotgun assembly and analysis of the genome of Fugu rubripes. Science. 2002;297:1301-10 pubmed..Conserved linkages between Fugu and human genes indicate the preservation of chromosomal segments from the common vertebrate ancestor, but with considerable scrambling of gene order...
- Jiang S, Ma Z, Ramachandran S. Evolutionary history and stress regulation of the lectin superfamily in higher plants. BMC Evol Biol. 2010;10:79 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide a new outline of the plant lectin gene superfamily and advance the understanding of plant lectin genes in lineage-specific expansion and their functions in biotic/abiotic stress-related developmental processes. ..
- Ku C, Pawitan Y, Sim X, Ong R, Seielstad M, Lee E, et al. Genomic copy number variations in three Southeast Asian populations. Hum Mutat. 2010;31:851-7 pubmed publisher..Tens of loci show population differentiation and overlap with genes previously known to be associated with genetic risk of diseases. One of these loci is the CYP2A6 deletion, previously linked to reduced susceptibility to lung cancer. ..
- Loh Y, Christoffels A, Brenner S, Hunziker W, Venkatesh B. Extensive expansion of the claudin gene family in the teleost fish, Fugu rubripes. Genome Res. 2004;14:1248-57 pubmed
- Ravi V, Bhatia S, Gautier P, Loosli F, Tay B, Tay A, et al. Sequencing of Pax6 loci from the elephant shark reveals a family of Pax6 genes in vertebrate genomes, forged by ancient duplications and divergences. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003177 pubmed publisher..In summary, our study reveals that the pleiotropic functions of Pax6 in vertebrates are served by a divergent family of Pax6 genes, forged by ancient duplication events and by independent, lineage-specific gene losses. ..