Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila in Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
Locale: Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
- Herranz H, Hong X, Cohen S. Mutual repression by bantam miRNA and Capicua links the EGFR/MAPK and Hippo pathways in growth control. Curr Biol. 2012;22:651-7 pubmed publisher..Feedback regulation by bantam on Capicua provides a means to link signal propagation by the EGFR pathway to activity of the Hippo pathway and may play an important role in integration of these two pathways in growth control. ..
- Wasser M, Chia W. The extrachromosomal East protein of Drosophila can associate with polytene chromosomes and regulate gene expression. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e412 pubmed..We propose that EAST acts as an ion sensor that modulates gene expression in response to changing intracellular ion concentrations. ..
- Lim J, Thiery J. Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions: insights from development. Development. 2012;139:3471-86 pubmed publisher..As we review here, knowledge garnered from studies of EMT during gastrulation, neural crest delamination and heart formation have furthered our understanding of tumor progression and metastasis. ..
- Hilgers V, Bushati N, Cohen S. Drosophila microRNAs 263a/b confer robustness during development by protecting nascent sense organs from apoptosis. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000396 pubmed publisher..In the context of the retina, this mechanism ensures that the interommatidial bristles are protected during the developmentally programmed wave of cell death that prunes excess cells in order to refine the pattern of the pupal retina...
- Ng C, Mok S, Koh C, Ouyang X, Fivaz M, Tan E, et al. Parkin protects against LRRK2 G2019S mutant-induced dopaminergic neurodegeneration in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2009;29:11257-62 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest a potential link between LRRK2, parkin, and mitochondria in the pathogenesis of LRRK2-related parkinsonism. ..
- Du T, Puah W, Wasser M. Cell cycle phase classification in 3D in vivo microscopy of Drosophila embryogenesis. BMC Bioinformatics. 2011;12 Suppl 13:S18 pubmed publisher..Cell cycle classification in live animals can be used for automated phenotyping and to improve the performance of automated cell tracking. ..
- Puah W, Cheok L, Biro M, Ng W, Wasser M. TLM-Converter: reorganization of long time-lapse microscopy datasets for downstream image analysis. Biotechniques. 2011;51:49-50, 52-3 pubmed publisher..In addition, saving the outputs in open standard image file formats enables data sharing between independently developed software tools. ..
- Jiang S, Ramamoorthy R, Ramachandran S. Comparative transcriptional profiling and evolutionary analysis of the GRAM domain family in eukaryotes. Dev Biol. 2008;314:418-32 pubmed publisher..Each member may play specialized roles in a specific tissue or stress condition and may function as regulators of environmental and hormonal signaling. ..
- D Souza J, Hendricks M, Le Guyader S, Subburaju S, Grunewald B, Scholich K, et al. Formation of the retinotectal projection requires Esrom, an ortholog of PAM (protein associated with Myc). Development. 2005;132:247-56 pubmed..These data identify a mediator of signal transduction in retinal growth cones, which is required for topographic map formation. ..
- Zhang Y, Lin S. Molecular characterization of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27 promoter. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1353:307-17 pubmed..Taken together, our data strongly show that the p27 promoter is activated by the ubiquitously expressed transcription factor Sp1, which may provide a molecular mechanism for the constitutive nature of p27 transcription. ..
- Chen W, Chen S, Yap S, Lim L. The Caenorhabditis elegans p21-activated kinase (CePAK) colocalizes with CeRac1 and CDC42Ce at hypodermal cell boundaries during embryo elongation. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:26362-8 pubmed..Interestingly, CeRac1 and CDC42Ce are found at the same location, which might point to their common involvement in hypodermal cell fusion, a crucial morphogenetic event for nematode development. ..
- Yu F, Morin X, Kaushik R, Bahri S, Yang X, Chia W. A mouse homologue of Drosophila pins can asymmetrically localize and substitute for pins function in Drosophila neuroblasts. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:887-96 pubmed..We further show that Pins can fulfill all aspects of pins function in Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric cell divisions. Our results suggest a conservation of function between the fly and mammalian Pins homologues. ..
- Shu J, Li Y. A statistical fat-tail test of predicting regulatory regions in the Drosophila genome. Comput Biol Med. 2012;42:935-41 pubmed publisher..These two fatness coefficients may serve as valuable filtering indexes to predict CRMs experimentally. ..
- Murugasu Oei B, Balakrishnan R, Yang X, Chia W, Rodrigues V. Mutations in masquerade, a novel serine-protease-like molecule, affect axonal guidance and taste behavior in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 1996;57:91-101 pubmed..The possibility that the observed deficits in taste behavior, exhibited by animals with partial loss of mas function, are a result of defects in the adult brain are discussed. ..
- Kirilly D, Gu Y, Huang Y, Wu Z, Bashirullah A, Low B, et al. A genetic pathway composed of Sox14 and Mical governs severing of dendrites during pruning. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:1497-505 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings indicate that a previously unknown pathway composed of Sox14 and its cytoskeletal target Mical governs dendrite severing. ..
- Tio M, Zavortink M, Yang X, Chia W. A functional analysis of inscuteable and its roles during Drosophila asymmetric cell divisions. J Cell Sci. 1999;112 ( Pt 10):1541-51 pubmed..Finally, we show that although inscuteable RNA is normally apically localised, RNA localisation is not required for protein localisation or any aspects of inscuteable function. ..
- Wang H, Ng K, Qian H, Siderovski D, Chia W, Yu F. Ric-8 controls Drosophila neural progenitor asymmetric division by regulating heterotrimeric G proteins. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:1091-8 pubmed..In addition, Gbetagamma acts to restrict Galphai (and GoLoco proteins) to the apical cortex, where Galphai (and Pins) can mediate asymmetric spindle geometry. ..
- Wang H, Cai Y, Chia W, Yang X. Drosophila homologs of mammalian TNF/TNFR-related molecules regulate segregation of Miranda/Prospero in neuroblasts. EMBO J. 2006;25:5783-93 pubmed..The Mira/Pros telophase rescue seen in inscuteable mutant NBs requires DTRAF1. Our data suggest that DTRAF1 binds to Baz and acts downstream of Egr in the Mira/Pros telophase rescue pathway. ..
- Anand A, Kai T. The tudor domain protein kumo is required to assemble the nuage and to generate germline piRNAs in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2012;31:870-82 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that kumo facilitates germline piRNA production by promoting piRNA cluster transcription in the nucleus and piRNA processing at the nuage. ..
- Salvany L, Müller J, Guccione E, Rørth P. The core and conserved role of MAL is homeostatic regulation of actin levels. Genes Dev. 2014;28:1048-53 pubmed publisher..By regulating MAL/SRF activity, actin protein feeds back on production of actin mRNA to ensure sufficient supply of actin. This constitutes a dedicated homeostatic feedback system that provides a foundation for cellular actin dynamics. ..
- Harden N, Ricos M, Ong Y, Chia W, Lim L. Participation of small GTPases in dorsal closure of the Drosophila embryo: distinct roles for Rho subfamily proteins in epithelial morphogenesis. J Cell Sci. 1999;112 ( Pt 3):273-84 pubmed..Rather, our results suggest that while all &Rgr; subfamily p21s tested are required for dorsal closure, they act largely in parallel. ..
- Cheah P, Chia W, Yang X. Jumeaux, a novel Drosophila winged-helix family protein, is required for generating asymmetric sibling neuronal cell fates. Development. 2000;127:3325-35 pubmed..Our results suggest that in addition to the correct formation of an apical complex, transcription mediated by Jumu is also necessary to facilitate the correct asymmetric localisation and segregation of Pon/Numb. ..
- Ng C, Guan M, Koh C, Ouyang X, Yu F, Tan E, et al. AMP kinase activation mitigates dopaminergic dysfunction and mitochondrial abnormalities in Drosophila models of Parkinson's disease. J Neurosci. 2012;32:14311-7 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest the relevance of mitochondrial-associated pathway in LRRK2 and parkin-related pathogenesis, and that AMPK activation may represent a potential therapeutic strategy for these familial forms of PD. ..
- Lim R, Anand A, Nishimiya Fujisawa C, Kobayashi S, Kai T. Analysis of Hydra PIWI proteins and piRNAs uncover early evolutionary origins of the piRNA pathway. Dev Biol. 2014;386:237-51 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that various conserved features of PIWI proteins, the piRNA pathway, and their associations with the nuage were likely established before the evolution of bilaterians. ..
- Yu F, Ong C, Chia W, Yang X. Membrane targeting and asymmetric localization of Drosophila partner of inscuteable are discrete steps controlled by distinct regions of the protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:4230-40 pubmed..Moreover, the need for N-terminal Pins can be obviated by fusing a minimal Insc functional domain with the C-terminal region of Pins; this chimeric molecule is apically localized and can fulfill the functions of both Insc and Pins. ..
- Chinta R, Tan J, Wasser M. The study of muscle remodeling in Drosophila metamorphosis using in vivo microscopy and bioimage informatics. BMC Bioinformatics. 2012;13 Suppl 17:S14 pubmed publisher..Our methodology can easily be scaled up for genome-wide genetic screens using readily available resources for RNAi based gene silencing in Drosophila and other animal models. ..
- Kirilly D, Wong J, Lim E, Wang Y, Zhang H, Wang C, et al. Intrinsic epigenetic factors cooperate with the steroid hormone ecdysone to govern dendrite pruning in Drosophila. Neuron. 2011;72:86-100 pubmed publisher..Thus, specific intrinsic epigenetic factors cooperate with steroid hormones to activate selective transcriptional programs, thereby initiating neuronal remodeling. ..
- Varghese J, Lim S, Cohen S. Drosophila miR-14 regulates insulin production and metabolism through its target, sugarbabe. Genes Dev. 2010;24:2748-53 pubmed publisher..Regulation of sugarbabe levels by nutrients and by miR-14 combines to allow the fly to manage resource mobilization in a nutritionally variable environment. ..
- Pek J, Kai T. DEAD-box RNA helicase Belle/DDX3 and the RNA interference pathway promote mitotic chromosome segregation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:12007-12 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the RNA helicase Belle/DDX3 and the RNA interference pathway perform a common role in regulating chromosome segregation in Drosophila and human somatic cells. ..
- Wong E, Lim J, Low B, Chen Q, Guy G. Evidence for direct interaction between Sprouty and Cbl. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:5866-75 pubmed..Our results suggest that one function of hSPRY2 in signaling processes downstream of RTKs may be to modulate c-Cbl physiological function such as that seen with receptor-mediated endocytosis. ..
- Pek J, Kai T. A role for vasa in regulating mitotic chromosome condensation in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2011;21:39-44 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Vas functions during mitosis and may link the piRNA pathway to mitotic chromosome condensation in Drosophila. ..
- Tio M, Udolph G, Yang X, Chia W. cdc2 links the Drosophila cell cycle and asymmetric division machineries. Nature. 2001;409:1063-7 pubmed..Our findings link cdc2 with asymmetric divisions, and explain why the asymmetric localization of molecules like Inscuteable show cell-cycle dependence. ..
- Cai Y, Chia W, Yang X. A family of snail-related zinc finger proteins regulates two distinct and parallel mechanisms that mediate Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. EMBO J. 2001;20:1704-14 pubmed
- Wang H, Somers G, Bashirullah A, Heberlein U, Yu F, Chia W. Aurora-A acts as a tumor suppressor and regulates self-renewal of Drosophila neuroblasts. Genes Dev. 2006;20:3453-63 pubmed..We have identified a novel mechanism for controlling the balance between self-renewal and neuronal differentiation during the asymmetric division of Drosophila larval NBs. ..
- Cai Y, Yu F, Lin S, Chia W, Yang X. Apical complex genes control mitotic spindle geometry and relative size of daughter cells in Drosophila neuroblast and pI asymmetric divisions. Cell. 2003;112:51-62 pubmed..In sensory organ precursors, Bazooka/DaPKC and Pins/G alpha i localize to opposite sides of the cortex and function in opposition to generate a symmetric spindle. ..
- Pek J, Ng B, Kai T. Polo-mediated phosphorylation of Maelstrom regulates oocyte determination during oogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2012;139:4505-13 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the Polo-mediated phosphorylation of Maelstrom may be a mechanism that controls oocyte determination by inactivating the pachytene checkpoint via the repression of Sir2 in Drosophila ovaries. ..
- Mohammad F, Aryal S, Ho J, Stewart J, Norman N, Tan T, et al. Ancient Anxiety Pathways Influence Drosophila Defense Behaviors. Curr Biol. 2016;26:981-6 pubmed publisher..The presence of conserved neurogenetic pathways in the insect brain identifies Drosophila as an attractive genetic model for the study of anxiety and anxiety-related disorders, complementing existing rodent systems. ..
- Luo L, Chai P, Cai Y. Immunostaining of germline stem cells and the niche in Drosophila ovaries. Methods Mol Biol. 2013;1035:1-7 pubmed publisher..This protocol has been optimized to enable explicit visualization of the niche structure, as well as to maximize the degree of multiplexing for protein labeling and detection. ..
- Bahri S, Yang X, Chia W. The Drosophila bifocal gene encodes a novel protein which colocalizes with actin and is necessary for photoreceptor morphogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:5521-9 pubmed..On the basis of its subcellular localization and loss-of-function phenotype, we discuss possible roles of Bif in photoreceptor morphogenesis. ..
- Chai P, Liu Z, Chia W, Cai Y. Hedgehog signaling acts with the temporal cascade to promote neuroblast cell cycle exit. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001494 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, hh is likely a target of Castor. Hence, Hh signaling provides a link between the temporal series and the asymmetric division machinery in scheduling the end of neurogenesis. ..
- Tay S, Ingham P, Roy S. A homologue of the Drosophila kinesin-like protein Costal2 regulates Hedgehog signal transduction in the vertebrate embryo. Development. 2005;132:625-34 pubmed
- Wang Y, Zhang H, Shi M, Liou Y, Lu L, Yu F. Sec71 functions as a GEF for the small GTPase Arf1 to govern dendrite pruning of Drosophila sensory neurons. Development. 2017;144:1851-1862 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the Sec71/Arf1-mediated trafficking process is a prerequisite for Rab5-dependent endocytosis to facilitate endocytosis and degradation of the cell-adhesion molecule Neuroglian (Nrg). ..
- Ge W, Chen Y, Weng R, Lim S, Buescher M, Zhang R, et al. Overlapping functions of microRNAs in control of apoptosis during Drosophila embryogenesis. Cell Death Differ. 2012;19:839-46 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that the activity of the proapoptotic genes is kept in check by miR-6/11 to ensure normal development. ..
- Bessarab D, Chong S, Korzh V. Expression of zebrafish six1 during sensory organ development and myogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:781-6 pubmed..An increase of six1 expression was observed in the lateral line, muscles, and inner ear of the mind bomb mutant, illustrating a regulatory effect of the Notch pathway on expression of Six genes. ..
- Lim Y, Tang B. Intercellular organelle trafficking by membranous nanotube connections: a possible new role in cellular rejuvenation?. Cell Commun Adhes. 2012;19:39-44 pubmed publisher..These findings have intriguing implications in cell biology and regenerative medicine...
- Udolph G, Rath P, Chia W. A requirement for Notch in the genesis of a subset of glial cells in the Drosophila embryonic central nervous system which arise through asymmetric divisions. Development. 2001;128:1457-66 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that Notch signalling positively regulates glial cells missing (gcm) expression in the context of SPG development. ..
- Sousa Nunes R, Chia W, Somers W. Protein phosphatase 4 mediates localization of the Miranda complex during Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. Genes Dev. 2009;23:359-72 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that Flfl may target PP4 to the MIra protein complex to facilitate dephosphorylation step(s) crucial for its cortical association/asymmetric localization. ..
- Lim J, Wong E, Ong S, Yusoff P, Low B, Guy G. Sprouty proteins are targeted to membrane ruffles upon growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase activation. Identification of a novel translocation domain. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:32837-45 pubmed..The translocation of this conserved domain, based on hSpry2 data, was independent of the activation of phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase. ..
- Yu F, Morin X, Cai Y, Yang X, Chia W. Analysis of partner of inscuteable, a novel player of Drosophila asymmetric divisions, reveals two distinct steps in inscuteable apical localization. Cell. 2000;100:399-409 pubmed
- Kuleesha -, Feng L, Wasser M. Spatial pattern analysis of nuclear migration in remodelled muscles during Drosophila metamorphosis. BMC Bioinformatics. 2017;18:329 pubmed publisher..Therefore, in vivo imaging and quantitative image analysis of Drosophila metamorphosis promise to provide novel insights into the relationship between muscle wasting and myonuclear positioning. ..
- Yang X, Bahri S, Klein T, Chia W. Klumpfuss, a putative Drosophila zinc finger transcription factor, acts to differentiate between the identities of two secondary precursor cells within one neuroblast lineage. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1396-408 pubmed
- Yusoff P, Lao D, Ong S, Wong E, Lim J, Lo T, et al. Sprouty2 inhibits the Ras/MAP kinase pathway by inhibiting the activation of Raf. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:3195-201 pubmed..Results from this study indicated that hSpry2 exerted its inhibitory effect at the level of Raf, which was verified in a Raf activation assay in an FGF signaling context. ..
- Wang C, Lu R, Ouyang X, Ho M, Chia W, Yu F, et al. Drosophila overexpressing parkin R275W mutant exhibits dopaminergic neuron degeneration and mitochondrial abnormalities. J Neurosci. 2007;27:8563-70 pubmed
- Szuplewski S, Kugler J, Lim S, Verma P, Chen Y, Cohen S. MicroRNA transgene overexpression complements deficiency-based modifier screens in Drosophila. Genetics. 2012;190:617-26 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we show that Cullin-4 acts through its substrate receptor Cdt2 to suppress the minus phenotype. We suggest that inducible microRNA transgenes are a useful complement to deficiency-based modifier screens. ..