Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cytokinesis in Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
Locale: Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
- Singh N, Shao N, McLean J, Sevugan M, Ren L, Chew T, et al. SIN-inhibitory phosphatase complex promotes Cdc11p dephosphorylation and propagates SIN asymmetry in fission yeast. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1968-78 pubmed publisher..Because Cdc7p does not bind to GDP-Spg1p, we propose that the SIP-mediated Cdc11p dephosphorylation and the resulting recruitment of Byr4p are among the earliest steps in the establishment of SIN asymmetry. ..
- Oliferenko S, Chew T, Balasubramanian M. Positioning cytokinesis. Genes Dev. 2009;23:660-74 pubmed publisher..We also describe cytokinesis-positioning mechanisms that are not adequately explained by studies in model organisms and model cell types. ..
- Zhang D, Vjestica A, Oliferenko S. The cortical ER network limits the permissive zone for actomyosin ring assembly. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1029-34 pubmed publisher..We propose that the cortical ER network restricts the lateral motion of Mid1p and hence generates a permissive zone for actomyosin ring assembly precisely at the cell equator. ..
- Zhu X, Wang J, Moriguchi K, Liow L, Ahmed S, Kaverina I, et al. Proper regulation of Cdc42 activity is required for tight actin concentration at the equator during cytokinesis in adherent mammalian cells. Exp Cell Res. 2011;317:2384-9 pubmed publisher..Notably, our observations also suggest that tight actin concentration is not essential for cytokinesis in adherent mammalian cells. ..
- Zhang D, Bidone T, Vavylonis D. ER-PM Contacts Define Actomyosin Kinetics for Proper Contractile Ring Assembly. Curr Biol. 2016;26:647-53 pubmed publisher..We propose that ER-PM contacts have evolved as important physical modulators to ensure robust ring assembly. ..
- Subramanian D, Huang J, Sevugan M, Robinson R, Balasubramanian M, Tang X. Insight into actin organization and function in cytokinesis from analysis of fission yeast mutants. Genetics. 2013;194:435-46 pubmed publisher..This mutant bank should be a valuable resource to study the physiological and biochemical functions of actin...
- Huang J, Huang Y, Yu H, Subramanian D, Padmanabhan A, Thadani R, et al. Nonmedially assembled F-actin cables incorporate into the actomyosin ring in fission yeast. J Cell Biol. 2012;199:831-47 pubmed publisher..Our results, together with findings in animal cells, suggest that de novo F-actin assembly at the division site and directed transport of F-actin cables assembled elsewhere can contribute to ring assembly. ..
- Yan H, Ge W, Chew T, Chow J, McCollum D, Neiman A, et al. The meiosis-specific Sid2p-related protein Slk1p regulates forespore membrane assembly in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:3676-90 pubmed publisher..These studies thereby provide a novel link between the SIN and vesicle trafficking during cytokinesis. ..
- Vjestica A, Tang X, Oliferenko S. The actomyosin ring recruits early secretory compartments to the division site in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1125-38 pubmed publisher..Cdc15p overexpression was sufficient to induce tER polarization in interphase. Thus, fission yeast polarizes its entire secretory machinery to the cell division site by utilizing molecular cues provided by the actomyosin ring. ..
- Karagiannis J, Bimbo A, Rajagopalan S, Liu J, Balasubramanian M. The nuclear kinase Lsk1p positively regulates the septation initiation network and promotes the successful completion of cytokinesis in response to perturbation of the actomyosin ring in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:358-71 pubmed..Our studies also establish that actomyosin ring maintenance and nuclear cycle delay in response to cytokinetic perturbation can be genetically resolved into independent pathways. ..
- Loo T, Balasubramanian M. Schizosaccharomyces pombe Pak-related protein, Pak1p/Orb2p, phosphorylates myosin regulatory light chain to inhibit cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:785-93 pubmed publisher..This study reveals a new mechanism involving Pak1p kinase that helps ensure the fidelity of cytokinesis. ..
- Calvert M, Wright G, Leong F, Chiam K, Chen Y, Jedd G, et al. Myosin concentration underlies cell size-dependent scalability of actomyosin ring constriction. J Cell Biol. 2011;195:799-813 pubmed publisher..Because the mechanical characteristics of contractile rings are conserved, we predict that these findings will be relevant to actomyosin ring constriction in other cell types. ..
- Balasubramanian M, Srinivasan R, Huang Y, Ng K. Comparing contractile apparatus-driven cytokinesis mechanisms across kingdoms. Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). 2012;69:942-56 pubmed publisher..Intriguingly, there are life forms on this planet that appear to lack molecules currently known to participate in cytokinesis and how these cells perform cytokinesis remains a mystery waiting to be unravelled...
- Ge W, Chew T, Wachtler V, Naqvi S, Balasubramanian M. The novel fission yeast protein Pal1p interacts with Hip1-related Sla2p/End4p and is involved in cellular morphogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4124-38 pubmed..Thus, overlapping mechanisms involving Pal1p, Tea1p, and Sla2p contribute to the establishment of cylindrical cellular morphology, which is important for proper spatial regulation of cytokinesis. ..
- McNamara C, Lee M, Lim C, Lim S, Roland J, Simon O, et al. Targeting Plasmodium PI(4)K to eliminate malaria. Nature. 2013;504:248-253 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data define PI(4)K as a key Plasmodium vulnerability, opening up new avenues of target-based discovery to identify drugs with an ideal activity profile for the prevention, treatment and elimination of malaria. ..