Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cell cycle proteins in Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
Locale: Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
Topic: cell cycle proteins
- Vjestica A, Tang X, Oliferenko S. The actomyosin ring recruits early secretory compartments to the division site in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1125-38 pubmed publisher..Cdc15p overexpression was sufficient to induce tER polarization in interphase. Thus, fission yeast polarizes its entire secretory machinery to the cell division site by utilizing molecular cues provided by the actomyosin ring. ..
- Gan F, Nagle A, Ang X, Ho O, Tan S, Yang H, et al. Shogaols at proapoptotic concentrations induce G(2)/M arrest and aberrant mitotic cell death associated with tubulin aggregation. Apoptosis. 2011;16:856-67 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results conclude that shogaols cause apoptosis by inducing aberrant mitosis at least through the attenuation of cell cycle and spindle assembly checkpoint proteins. ..
- Yang S, Leow C, Tan T. Expression patterns of cytokine, growth factor and cell cycle-related genes after partial hepatectomy in rats with thioacetamide-induced cirrhosis. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;12:1063-70 pubmed
- Zhang T, Lim H, Cheng C, Surana U. Deficiency of centromere-associated protein Slk19 causes premature nuclear migration and loss of centromeric elasticity. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:519-31 pubmed..Our results suggest that Slk19 participates in regulating nuclear migration and, in conjunction with cohesin complex, may be involved in the maintenance of centromeric tensile strength to resist the pole-ward pull. ..
- Reilly P, Afzal S, Wakeham A, Haight J, You Ten A, Zaugg K, et al. Generation and characterization of the Anp32e-deficient mouse. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13597 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, combined deletion of Anp32a and Anp32e also resulted in a viable and apparently healthy mouse. These results provide evidence that significant functional redundancy exists among Anp32 family members. ..
- Xu L, Huang M, Fang S, Liu D. Coronavirus infection induces DNA replication stress partly through interaction of its nonstructural protein 13 with the p125 subunit of DNA polymerase ?. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:39546-59 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the ATR signaling activated by IBV replication contributes to the IBV-induced S-phase arrest and is required for efficient IBV replication and progeny production. ..
- Chin C, Bennett A, Ma W, Hall M, Yeong F. Dependence of Chs2 ER export on dephosphorylation by cytoplasmic Cdc14 ensures that septum formation follows mitosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:45-58 pubmed publisher..Thus, by requiring declining Cdk1 activity and Cdc14 nuclear release for Chs2 ER export, cells ensure that septum formation is contingent upon chromosome separation and exit from mitosis. ..
- Tan J, Li Z, Lee P, Guan P, Aau M, Lee S, et al. PDK1 signaling toward PLK1-MYC activation confers oncogenic transformation, tumor-initiating cell activation, and resistance to mTOR-targeted therapy. Cancer Discov. 2013;3:1156-71 pubmed publisher..Targeted inhibition of PDK1/PLK1 is robust in targeting MYC dependency in cancer cells. Thus, our findings provide important insights into cancer and CSC biology and have significant therapeutic implications. ..
- Goh P, Surana U. Cdc4, a protein required for the onset of S phase, serves an essential function during G(2)/M transition in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:5512-22 pubmed..Collectively, these observations suggest that, in addition to its involvement in the initiation of S phase, Cdc4 may also be required for the onset of anaphase. ..
- Leung T, Chen X, Tan I, Manser E, Lim L. Myotonic dystrophy kinase-related Cdc42-binding kinase acts as a Cdc42 effector in promoting cytoskeletal reorganization. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:130-40 pubmed..These results suggest that MRCK alpha may act as a downstream effector of Cdc42 in cytoskeletal reorganization. ..
- Yu F, Morin X, Kaushik R, Bahri S, Yang X, Chia W. A mouse homologue of Drosophila pins can asymmetrically localize and substitute for pins function in Drosophila neuroblasts. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:887-96 pubmed..We further show that Pins can fulfill all aspects of pins function in Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric cell divisions. Our results suggest a conservation of function between the fly and mammalian Pins homologues. ..
- Srinivas V, Murata Hori M. Proper positioning of the cleavage furrow requires ?-actinin to regulate the specification of different populations of microtubules. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4713-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings unveil an unexpected yet crucial role for an actin crosslinking protein in the regulation of the localization of the microtubule-associated cytokinetic regulator. ..
- Cai Y, Chia W, Yang X. A family of snail-related zinc finger proteins regulates two distinct and parallel mechanisms that mediate Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. EMBO J. 2001;20:1704-14 pubmed
- Zhao Z, Manser E, Loo T, Lim L. Coupling of PAK-interacting exchange factor PIX to GIT1 promotes focal complex disassembly. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:6354-63 pubmed..We propose that GIT1 and FAK cooperate to promote motility both by directly regulating focal complex dynamics and by the activation of Rac. ..
- Chan S, Yee K, Tan K, Yu V. The Caenorhabditis elegans sex determination protein FEM-1 is a CED-3 substrate that associates with CED-4 and mediates apoptosis in mammalian cells. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:17925-8 pubmed..Similarly, Apaf-1, the mammalian homologue of CED-4 was found to associate with F1Aalpha. These data suggest that FEM-1 and F1Aalpha may mediate apoptosis by communicating directly with the core machinery of apoptosis. ..
- Cheng F, Liu J, Teh C, Chong S, Korzh V, Jiang Y, et al. Camptothecin-induced downregulation of MLL5 contributes to the activation of tumor suppressor p53. Oncogene. 2011;30:3599-611 pubmed publisher..In summary, our study proposed MLL5 as a novel component in the regulation of p53 homeostasis and a new cellular determinant of CPT. ..
- Zihni C, Vlassaks E, Terry S, Carlton J, Leung T, Olson M, et al. An apical MRCK-driven morphogenetic pathway controls epithelial polarity. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:1049-1060 pubmed publisher..Our results identify an apical origin of actomyosin-driven morphogenesis that couples cytoskeletal reorganization to PAR polarity signalling. ..
- Gopinathan L, Ratnacaram C, Kaldis P. Established and novel Cdk/cyclin complexes regulating the cell cycle and development. Results Probl Cell Differ. 2011;53:365-89 pubmed publisher..This chapter will present a broad outlook on the cell cycle and its key regulators with special emphasis on the less-studied members and their emerging roles. ..
- Subramanian D, Huang J, Sevugan M, Robinson R, Balasubramanian M, Tang X. Insight into actin organization and function in cytokinesis from analysis of fission yeast mutants. Genetics. 2013;194:435-46 pubmed publisher..This mutant bank should be a valuable resource to study the physiological and biochemical functions of actin...
- Wong C, Chan H, Ho C, Lai S, Chan K, Koh C, et al. Apoptotic histone modification inhibits nuclear transport by regulating RCC1. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:36-45 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we propose that RCC1 reads the histone code created by caspase-activated Mst1 to initiate apoptosis by reducing the level of RanGTP in the nucleus. ..
- Croxford J, Tang M, Pan M, Huang C, Kamran N, Phua C, et al. ATM-dependent spontaneous regression of early E?-myc-induced murine B-cell leukemia depends on natural killer and T cells. Blood. 2013;121:2512-21 pubmed publisher..Blockade of DNAM-1, a receptor for one such ligand, impaired tumor regression. Hence, E?-myc mice provide a model to study spontaneous regression and possible mechanisms of immune evasion or suppression by cancer cells. ..
- Teo M, Manser E, Lim L. Identification and molecular cloning of a p21cdc42/rac1-activated serine/threonine kinase that is rapidly activated by thrombin in platelets. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:26690-7 pubmed..This thrombin-activated protein kinase appears to coprecipitate with another kinase of M(r) 86,000, suggesting that PAK may be part of a thrombin-responsive signaling complex. ..
- Loy C, Lydall D, Surana U. NDD1, a high-dosage suppressor of cdc28-1N, is essential for expression of a subset of late-S-phase-specific genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:3312-27 pubmed
- Dai R, Yu F, Goh S, Chng H, Tan Y, Fu J, et al. Histone 2B (H2B) expression is confined to a proper NAD+/NADH redox status. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:26894-901 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that the cellular redox status (metabolic states) can directly feedback to gene switching in higher eukaryotes as is commonly observed in prokaryotes. ..
- Lim D, Jocelyn K, Yip G, Bay B. Silencing the Metallothionein-2A gene inhibits cell cycle progression from G1- to S-phase involving ATM and cdc25A signaling in breast cancer cells. Cancer Lett. 2009;276:109-17 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that MT-2A could plausibly modulate cell cycle progression from G1- to S-phase via the ATM/Chk2/cdc25A pathway. ..
- Zhang W, Kim P, Chen Z, Lokman H, Qiu L, Zhang K, et al. MiRNA-128 regulates the proliferation and neurogenesis of neural precursors by targeting PCM1 in the developing cortex. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate a novel mechanism by which miR-128 regulates the proliferation and differentiation of NPCs in the developing neocortex. ..
- Tio M, Zavortink M, Yang X, Chia W. A functional analysis of inscuteable and its roles during Drosophila asymmetric cell divisions. J Cell Sci. 1999;112 ( Pt 10):1541-51 pubmed..Finally, we show that although inscuteable RNA is normally apically localised, RNA localisation is not required for protein localisation or any aspects of inscuteable function. ..
- Le Guezennec X, Brichkina A, Huang Y, Kostromina E, Han W, Bulavin D. Wip1-dependent regulation of autophagy, obesity, and atherosclerosis. Cell Metab. 2012;16:68-80 pubmed publisher..We propose that the Wip1-dependent control of autophagy and cholesterol efflux may provide avenues for treating obesity and atherosclerosis. ..
- Wang C, Balasubramanian M, Dokland T. Structure, crystal packing and molecular dynamics of the calponin-homology domain of Schizosaccharomyces pombe Rng2. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2004;60:1396-403 pubmed..This distinctive feature is absent from previously published CH-domain structures. Another feature revealed by comparing the two derivatives is the presence of two loop conformations between Tyr92 and Arg99. ..
- Szuplewski S, Kugler J, Lim S, Verma P, Chen Y, Cohen S. MicroRNA transgene overexpression complements deficiency-based modifier screens in Drosophila. Genetics. 2012;190:617-26 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we show that Cullin-4 acts through its substrate receptor Cdt2 to suppress the minus phenotype. We suggest that inducible microRNA transgenes are a useful complement to deficiency-based modifier screens. ..
- Chew B, Lehming N. TFIIB/SUA7(E202G) is an allele-specific suppressor of TBP1(E186D). Biochem J. 2007;406:265-71 pubmed..DNA microarray analysis indicated that the TBP1(E186D) temperature-sensitivity and slow-growth phenotypes might have been caused by insufficient amounts of Tbp1p for efficient transcription of the rRNA genes by RNA polymerase I. ..
- Manser E, Chong C, Zhao Z, Leung T, Michael G, Hall C, et al. Molecular cloning of a new member of the p21-Cdc42/Rac-activated kinase (PAK) family. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:25070-8 pubmed..Interestingly the down-regulation in the binding of p21s to recombinant beta-PAK and brain p65PAK, which is observed upon kinase activation does not occur with recombinant alpha-PAK. ..
- Chai C, Teh E, Yeong F. Unrestrained spindle elongation during recovery from spindle checkpoint activation in cdc15-2 cells results in mis-segregation of chromosomes. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:2384-98 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that a slower rate of transition through the cell division cycle can result in an inadequate level of Pds1p accumulation that can compromise recovery from spindle assembly checkpoint activation. ..
- Demidova A, Aau M, Zhuang L, Yu Q. Dual regulation of Cdc25A by Chk1 and p53-ATF3 in DNA replication checkpoint control. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:4132-9 pubmed publisher..Although Chk1 affects Cdc25A via rapid phosphorylation and protein turnover, inhibition of Cdc25A transcription by p53-ATF3 is required for the maintenance of cell cycle arrest. ..
- Liu J, Wang H, Balasubramanian M. A checkpoint that monitors cytokinesis in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 7):1223-30 pubmed..We conclude that an F-actin and Wee1p dependent checkpoint blocks G(2)/M transition until previous cytokinesis is completed. ..
- Cheok C, Kua N, Kaldis P, Lane D. Combination of nutlin-3 and VX-680 selectively targets p53 mutant cells with reversible effects on cells expressing wild-type p53. Cell Death Differ. 2010;17:1486-500 pubmed publisher..We highlight the distinct roles of p53 and p73 in mediating the cellular responses to VX-680 and suggest that dual protection by p53 and p73 are needed to guard against endoreduplication and polyploidy. ..
- Sanbhnani S, Yeong F. CHFR: a key checkpoint component implicated in a wide range of cancers. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2012;69:1669-87 pubmed publisher..With keen interest currently focused on the association between hypermethylation of CHFR and cancers, details of how CHFR functions require further study to reveal how its absence might possibly contribute to tumorigenesis. ..
- Krishnan V, Nirantar S, Crasta K, Cheng A, Surana U. DNA replication checkpoint prevents precocious chromosome segregation by regulating spindle behavior. Mol Cell. 2004;16:687-700 pubmed..Thus, the DNA replication checkpoint prevents precocious chromosome segregation, not by inhibiting entry into mitosis as widely believed, but by directly regulating spindle dynamics. ..
- Ge W, Balasubramanian M. Pxl1p, a paxillin-related protein, stabilizes the actomyosin ring during cytokinesis in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1680-92 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest that Pxl1p might cooperate with type II myosin and Rng2p-IQGAP to regulate actomyosin ring constriction as well as to maintain its integrity during constriction. ..
- Liu J, Cheng F, Deng L. MLL5 maintains genomic integrity by regulating the stability of the chromosomal passenger complex through a functional interaction with Borealin. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4676-85 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results suggest that MLL5 functionally interacts with Borealin, facilitates the expression of CPC, and hence contributes to mitotic fidelity and genomic integrity. ..
- Yeong F, Lim H, Wang Y, Surana U. Early expressed Clb proteins allow accumulation of mitotic cyclin by inactivating proteolytic machinery during S phase. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:5071-81 pubmed..This alternating antagonism between APC and Clb proteins during S and M phases constitutes an oscillatory system that generates undulations in the levels of mitotic cyclins. ..
- Lee L, Moh M, Zhang T, Shen S. The immunoglobulin-like cell adhesion molecule hepaCAM induces differentiation of human glioblastoma U373-MG cells. J Cell Biochem. 2009;107:1129-38 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that hepaCAM induces differentiation of the glioblastoma U373-MG cells. The degree of cell differentiation is dependent on the expression level of hepaCAM. ..
- Mishra M, Karagiannis J, Sevugan M, Singh P, Balasubramanian M. The 14-3-3 protein rad24p modulates function of the cdc14p family phosphatase clp1p/flp1p in fission yeast. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1376-83 pubmed..Furthermore, SIN-dependent nuclear exclusion of Clp1p is dependent on Rad24p function. We conclude that Rad24p-mediated cytoplasmic retention of Clp1p/Flp1p is important for cell viability upon stress to the division apparatus. ..
- Chauhan S, Zheng X, Tan Y, Tay B, Lim S, Venkatesh B, et al. Evolution of the Cdk-activator Speedy/RINGO in vertebrates. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2012;69:3835-50 pubmed publisher..Despite the interspecies variation, Speedy is conserved among most species examined. Our results provide a complete picture of the Speedy gene family and its evolution. ..
- Reilly P, Afzal S, Gorrini C, Lui K, Bukhman Y, Wakeham A, et al. Acidic nuclear phosphoprotein 32kDa (ANP32)B-deficient mouse reveals a hierarchy of ANP32 importance in mammalian development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:10243-8 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate a hierarchy of importance for the mammalian Anp32 genes, with Anp32b being the most critical for normal development. ..
- Ho C, Wong C, Li H. Perturbation of the chromosomal binding of RCC1, Mad2 and survivin causes spindle assembly defects and mitotic catastrophe. J Cell Biochem. 2008;105:835-46 pubmed publisher..Perturbation of their binding to the mitotic chromosome by actinomycin D could affect their functions in regulating mitotic progression thus leading to severe spindle defects and mitotic catastrophe. ..
- Yong R, Gan L, Chang Y, Yap E. Molecular characterization of a polymorphic 3-Mb deletion at chromosome Yp11.2 containing the AMELY locus in Singapore and Malaysia populations. Hum Genet. 2007;122:237-49 pubmed..The breakpoint sequences provide further information to a better understanding of the NAHR mechanism and DNA rearrangements due to higher order genomic architecture. ..
- Sim K, Zang Z, Yang C, Bonventre J, Hsu S. TRIP-Br links E2F to novel functions in the regulation of cyclin E expression during cell cycle progression and in the maintenance of genomic stability. Cell Cycle. 2004;3:1296-304 pubmed
- Wang X, Zeng L, Wang J, Chau J, Lai K, Jia D, et al. A positive role for c-Abl in Atm and Atr activation in DNA damage response. Cell Death Differ. 2011;18:5-15 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Atm-mediated c-Abl activation in cell response to double-stranded DNA breaks might facilitate the activation of both Atm and Atr to regulate their downstream cellular events. ..
- Machida S, Chen H, Adam Yuan Y. Molecular insights into miRNA processing by Arabidopsis thaliana SERRATE. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:7828-36 pubmed publisher..SE presumably works as a scaffold-like protein capable of binding both protein and RNA to guide the positioning of miRNA precursor toward DCL1 catalytic site within miRNA processing machinery in plant. ..
- Eshaghi M, Zhu L, Chu Z, Li J, Chan C, Shahab A, et al. Deconvolution of chromatin immunoprecipitation-microarray (ChIP-chip) analysis of MBF occupancies reveals the temporal recruitment of Rep2 at the MBF target genes. Eukaryot Cell. 2011;10:130-41 pubmed publisher..We propose that the MBF activator Rep2 plays a role in mediating the cell cycle-specific transcription through the recruitment of RNAP-II to the MBF-bound G(1)/S-phase genes. ..