Experts and Doctors on bioreactors in Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
Locale: Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
- Jiang H, Tay J, Maszenan A, Tay S. Enhanced phenol biodegradation and aerobic granulation by two coaggregating bacterial strains. Environ Sci Technol. 2006;40:6137-42 pubmed..Investigation of in situ occurrence of coggregation in aerobic granulation would help unveil its molecular mechanism. Then the granulation process could be improved through selection of specific microbial groups...
- Xu H, Liu Y, Tay J. Effect of pH on nickel biosorption by aerobic granular sludge. Bioresour Technol. 2006;97:359-63 pubmed
- Liu Y, Yang S, Tay J. Improved stability of aerobic granules by selecting slow-growing nitrifying bacteria. J Biotechnol. 2004;108:161-9 pubmed..This study demonstrated that the selection of slow-growing nitrifying bacteria through controlling substrate N/COD ratio would be a useful strategy for improving the stability of aerobic granules. ..
- Liu Y, Wang Z, Tay J. A unified theory for upscaling aerobic granular sludge sequencing batch reactors. Biotechnol Adv. 2005;23:335-44 pubmed..Furthermore, the unified theory provides a single engineering basis for scale up of aerobic granular sludge SBRs. ..
- Thanh P, Ketheesan B, Zhou Y, Stuckey D. Effect of operating conditions on speciation and bioavailability of trace metals in submerged anaerobic membrane bioreactors. Bioresour Technol. 2017;243:810-819 pubmed publisher..The degree of shifting in speciation depended on the affinity of the TMs for anaerobic sludge and their sensitivity to the changes. TMs with the most and the least significant changes in speciation were Fe and Mn, respectively. ..
- Xiong Y, Liu Y. Importance of extracellular proteins in maintaining structural integrity of aerobic granules. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2013;112:435-40 pubmed publisher..This in turn provided an additional explanation for the observed Proteinase K-triggered dispersal of aerobic granules. ..
- Zhou K, Zou R, Stephanopoulos G, Too H. Enhancing solubility of deoxyxylulose phosphate pathway enzymes for microbial isoprenoid production. Microb Cell Fact. 2012;11:148 pubmed publisher..Sorbitol was found to increase both the solubility and function of some of these over-expressed enzymes, a strategy to increase the production of secondary metabolites. ..
- Kim J, Shin S, Han G, O Flaherty V, Lee C, Hwang S. Common key acidogen populations in anaerobic reactors treating different wastewaters: molecular identification and quantitative monitoring. Water Res. 2011;45:2539-49 pubmed publisher..Particularly, the members of Aeromonas supposedly play vital roles in anaerobic digesters treating various substrates under acidogenic, fermentative start-up conditions...
- Li Y, Liu Y, Xu H. Is sludge retention time a decisive factor for aerobic granulation in SBR?. Bioresour Technol. 2008;99:7672-7 pubmed publisher..It was shown that SRT would not be a decisive factor for aerobic granulation in SBR...
- Liu Y, Liu Q. Causes and control of filamentous growth in aerobic granular sludge sequencing batch reactors. Biotechnol Adv. 2006;24:115-27 pubmed..Overgrowth of filamentous bacteria under stress conditions appears to be a major cause of instability of aerobic granular sludge SBR. Specific recommendations are made for controlling filamentous growth. ..
- Chen A, Poh S, Dietzsch C, Roethl E, Yan M, Ng S. Serum-free microcarrier based production of replication deficient influenza vaccine candidate virus lacking NS1 using Vero cells. BMC Biotechnol. 2011;11:81 pubmed publisher..This work can be used as a basis for efficient production of attenuated as well as wild type Influenza virus for research and vaccine production. ..
- Zhang Q, Singh S, Stuckey D. Fouling reduction using adsorbents/flocculants in a submerged anaerobic membrane bioreactor. Bioresour Technol. 2017;239:226-235 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Fe was not found in the supernatant or effluent, but precipitated with the solids, which is beneficial for its long-term use. ..
- Jiang H, Tay J, Liu Y, Tay S. Ca2+ augmentation for enhancement of aerobically grown microbial granules in sludge blanket reactors. Biotechnol Lett. 2003;25:95-9 pubmed..Ca2+-fed granules were denser and more compact, showed better settling and strength characteristics, and had higher polysaccharide contents. ..
- Ma Y, Yin Y, Liu Y. New insights into co-digestion of activated sludge and food waste: Biogas versus biofertilizer. Bioresour Technol. 2017;241:448-453 pubmed publisher..9-fold of that from Approach 1 due to high market value of biofertilizer. It is expected that this study may lead to a paradigm shift in biosolid management towards environmental and economic sustainability. ..
- Liu Y, Wang Z, Qin L, Liu Y, Tay J. Selection pressure-driven aerobic granulation in a sequencing batch reactor. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2005;67:26-32 pubmed..Consequently, theoretical and experimental evidence point to the fact that aerobic granulation is a selection pressure-driven cell-to-cell immobilization process. ..
- Yang S, Tay J, Liu Y. A novel granular sludge sequencing batch reactor for removal of organic and nitrogen from wastewater. J Biotechnol. 2003;106:77-86 pubmed..This is the first study to show the capability of microbial granules in simultaneous removal of organic carbon and nitrogen from wastewater. ..
- Yan W, Shen N, Xiao Y, Chen Y, Sun F, Kumar Tyagi V, et al. The role of conductive materials in the start-up period of thermophilic anaerobic system. Bioresour Technol. 2017;239:336-344 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrated that conductive materials could promote microbial activity and shorten start-up period for thermophilic anaerobic system. ..
- Tay J, Ivanov V, Pan S, Tay S. Specific layers in aerobically grown microbial granules. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2002;34:254-7 pubmed..To determine the optimal size of aerobically grown granules for wastewater treatment by measuring specific layers within the granules...
- Wang L, Wei L, Chen Y, Jiang R. Specific and reversible immobilization of NADH oxidase on functionalized carbon nanotubes. J Biotechnol. 2010;150:57-63 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate that the immobilization is reversible and can retain ca. 92% activity for a couple of loading cycles...
- Luo J, Lv P, Zhang J, Fane A, McDougald D, Rice S. Succession of biofilm communities responsible for biofouling of membrane bio-reactors (MBRs). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179855 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the data suggests that bacteria, primarily, along with fungi may play an important role in the rapid TMP increase and loss of system performance. ..
- Qin L, Liu Y, Tay J. Denitrification on poly-beta-hydroxybutyrate in microbial granular sludge sequencing batch reactor. Water Res. 2005;39:1503-10 pubmed..e. less than 28 mg nitrate-nitrogen l(-1) was found to be denitrified with internally accumulated PHB. This study for the first time shows the limiting capacity of PHB as reducing power for denitrification by microbial granules. ..
- Waheed H, Xiao Y, Hashmi I, Stuckey D, Zhou Y. Insights into quorum quenching mechanisms to control membrane biofouling under changing organic loading rates. Chemosphere. 2017;182:40-47 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the pore blockage resistance became dominant in QQ MBRs (>40%). ..
- Liu Y, Tay J. Influence of starvation time on formation and stability of aerobic granules in sequencing batch reactors. Bioresour Technol. 2008;99:980-5 pubmed..Granules in R2 and R3 showed good stability during the long-term operation. Therefore, a reasonable starvation time was necessary to maintain the long-term stability of aerobic granules. ..
- Zhou Y, Oehmen A, Lim M, Vadivelu V, Ng W. The role of nitrite and free nitrous acid (FNA) in wastewater treatment plants. Water Res. 2011;45:4672-82 pubmed publisher..Perspectives on research directions, how the outcomes may be used to manipulate bioprocesses and the overall implications of FNA on WWTPs are also discussed...