Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on asian continental ancestry group in Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
Locale: Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
Topic: asian continental ancestry group
Publications222 found, 100 shown here
- Yuen L, He M, Aung T, Htoon H, Tan D, Mehta J. Biometry of the cornea and anterior chamber in chinese eyes: an anterior segment optical coherence tomography study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:3433-40 pubmed publisher..05). CONCLUSIONS. In this Chinese population, PCAL was found to correlate moderately with ACD. The data may be useful for corneal and anterior segment procedures such as Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK). ..
- Aung T, Yong V, Chew P, Seah S, Gazzard G, Foster P, et al. Molecular analysis of the myocilin gene in Chinese subjects with chronic primary-angle closure glaucoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005;46:1303-6 pubmed..However, all the sequence alterations identified have been found in normal Chinese subjects. The results of this study do not support a role for MYOC mutations in the pathogenesis of chronic PACG in the Chinese. ..
- Jamora R, Tan E, Liu C, Kathirvel P, Burgunder J, Tan L. DYT1 mutations amongst adult primary dystonia patients in Singapore with review of literature comparing East and West. J Neurol Sci. 2006;247:35-7 pubmed..The frequency of DYT1 mutation amongst Asians (1.0%) was comparable to the West (1.56%) (p=NS). DYT1 mutations are uncommon amongst adult primary dystonia patients in Singapore. ..
- Tan H, Ong Y. Sphenoid sinus: an anatomic and endoscopic study in Asian cadavers. Clin Anat. 2007;20:745-50 pubmed..These overriding posterior ethmoid cells may also confuse the unwary surgeon that he has entered the sphenoid sinus where in fact he is still operating in the posterior ethmoid cells. ..
- Ang L, Ang L. Current understanding of the treatment and outcome of acute primary angle-closure glaucoma: an Asian perspective. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2008;37:210-5 pubmed..Regular follow-up of patients with PACG is important for the early detection of progression of the disease and visual field deterioration. ..
- Tan K, Hong C, Zhang J, Liu J, Sim R. Surgery for perforated colorectal malignancy in an Asian population: an institution's experience over 5 years. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2010;25:989-95 pubmed publisher..Short-term outcome is determined by ASA score and severity of peritonitis, while long-term outcome is determined by staging of the cancer. ..
- Ng E, Liew Y, Koh L, Hsu L. Fluoroquinolone prophylaxis against febrile neutropenia in areas with high fluoroquinolone resistance--an Asian perspective. J Formos Med Assoc. 2010;109:624-31 pubmed publisher..This review presents the evidence for and against fluoroquinolone prophylaxis in areas of high fluoroquinolone resistance. ..
- Oh V, Chua B, Heng C, Yeo S, Yim O, Yap E. Association of intronic single-nucleotide polymorphisms in the EMILIN1 gene with essential hypertension in a Chinese population. J Hum Hypertens. 2012;26:553-61 pubmed publisher..We observed significant overall haplotypic association with EH (empirical P = 0.0072); GGG is a risk haplotype (P = 0.043). The overall results support EMILIN1 as a candidate gene for human EH. ..
- ..New effective treatments (deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty, intrastromal corneal ring segments, and corneal collagen cross-linking with riboflavin) are succeeding previous treatments. ..
- Wu Y, Foo J, Tan L, Chen C, Prakash K, Chen Y, et al. Identification of a novel risk variant in the FUS gene in essential tremor. Neurology. 2013;81:541-4 pubmed publisher..We identified a novel risk variant, Met392Ile, in the FUS gene that increases susceptibility of ET among ethnic Chinese. Further studies in other ethnic populations are needed to determine whether this is an ethnic-specific risk factor. ..
- Tan L, Tan H, Lee C, Tan A. Outcome of pregnancy in Asian women with systemic lupus erythematosus: experience of a single perinatal centre in Singapore. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2002;31:290-5 pubmed..Co-existing APS augurs a poorer prognosis for pregnancy outcome, and may present atypically as autoimmune haemolytic anaemia in the postpartum period. ..
- Koh C, Chew M. Predictability of soft tissue profile changes following bimaxillary surgery in skeletal class III Chinese patients. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004;62:1505-9 pubmed..The CASSOS 2001 program produced a clinically useful prediction of soft tissue profile changes following bimaxillary surgery in skeletal Class III Chinese patients. ..
- Shen S, Wong T, Foster P, Loo J, Rosman M, Loon S, et al. The prevalence and types of glaucoma in malay people: the Singapore Malay eye study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:3846-51 pubmed publisher..As in Chinese, Caucasians, and African people, primary open-angle glaucoma was the main form of glaucoma in this population. More than 90% of glaucoma cases were previously undetected. ..
- Wong R, Yeoh K, Gwee K, Tay H, Ho K. Validation of structured scoring using the LA classification for esophagitis and endoscopically suspected Barrett's esophagus in a tertiary Asian endoscopy center. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;24:103-6 pubmed publisher..Our results also suggested that an alternative method of scoring esophagitis based on proportion of circumferential involvement was reliable. A learning effect was observed and reliable scoring was achieved after 16 patients. ..
- Kumar R, Quek D, Lee K, Oen F, Sakai H, Koh V, et al. Confirmation of the presence of uveal effusion in Asian eyes with primary angle closure glaucoma: an ultrasound biomicroscopy study. Arch Ophthalmol. 2008;126:1647-51 pubmed publisher..To confirm the presence of uveal effusion in the eyes of Asian patients with primary angle closure glaucoma (PACG) using ultrasound biomicroscopy (UBM)...
- Kumar R, Tantisevi V, Wong M, Laohapojanart K, Chansanti O, Quek D, et al. Plateau iris in Asian subjects with primary angle closure glaucoma. Arch Ophthalmol. 2009;127:1269-72 pubmed publisher..To determine the prevalence of plateau iris in Asian eyes with primary angle closure glaucoma (PACG) using ultrasound biomicroscopy (UBM)...
- Gao H, Salim A, Lee J, Tai E, van Dam R. Can body fat distribution, adiponectin levels and inflammation explain differences in insulin resistance between ethnic Chinese, Malays and Asian Indians?. Int J Obes (Lond). 2012;36:1086-93 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that interventions targeting excess weight gain can reduce ethnic disparities in insulin resistance among Asian Indians, Chinese and Malays. ..
- Lim L, Yang X, Gazzard G, Lin X, Sng C, Saw S, et al. Variations in eye volume, surface area, and shape with refractive error in young children by magnetic resonance imaging analysis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:8878-83 pubmed publisher..To determine variations in eye volume, surface area, and shape with refractive error in young children using a three-dimensional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) model...
- Zheng Y, Lamoureux E, Ikram M, Mitchell P, Wang J, Younan C, et al. Impact of migration and acculturation on prevalence of type 2 diabetes and related eye complications in Indians living in a newly urbanised society. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34829 pubmed publisher..e., DR and cataract) among migrant Indians living in Singapore. These data highlight potential worldwide impacts of migration patterns on the risk and burden of diabetes. ..
- Yip V, Pan C, Lin X, Lee Y, Gazzard G, Wong T, et al. The relationship between growth spurts and myopia in Singapore children. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:7961-6 pubmed publisher..Boys and girls with earlier peak height velocity experienced earlier peak SE and AL velocity, and age of myopia onset. Thus, variations in the onset and peak progression of myopia may be associated with height spurts. ..
- Chia A, Lin X, Dirani M, Gazzard G, Ramamurthy D, Quah B, et al. Risk factors for strabismus and amblyopia in young Singapore Chinese children. Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2013;20:138-47 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the importance of family history in strabismus, and the close associations between refractive error and strabismus with amblyopia. These factors play a more important role in young Singapore Chinese children. ..
- Ang P, Lim I, Lee T, Luo J, Ong D, Tan P, et al. BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in an Asian clinic-based population detected using a comprehensive strategy. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007;16:2276-84 pubmed..9%. This suggests that the comprehensive strategy used is effective for identifying deleterious mutations in Asian individuals at high risk for breast and/or ovarian cancer. ..
- Gwee K, Hwang J, Ho K, Yeoh K, Lum C, Ang P. In-practice predictors of response to proton pump inhibitor therapy in primary care patients with dyspepsia in an Asian population. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2008;42:134-8 pubmed publisher..In our population the response was not as favorable as suggested by clinical trials. Frequent overlap with irritable bowel syndrome seems to be an important factor. ..
- Moe K, Woon F, De Silva D, Wong P, Koh T, Kingwell B, et al. Association of acute ischemic stroke with the MTHFR C677T polymorphism but not with NOS3 gene polymorphisms in a Singapore population. Eur J Neurol. 2008;15:1309-14 pubmed publisher..001). The TT genotype of C677T polymorphism in the MTHFR gene contributes to genetic susceptibility of acute ischemic stroke in a Singapore population. ..
- Loh M, Koh K, Yeo B, Song C, Chia K, Zhu F, et al. Meta-analysis of genetic polymorphisms and gastric cancer risk: variability in associations according to race. Eur J Cancer. 2009;45:2562-8 pubmed publisher..Consolidated panels of polymorphisms associated with gastric cancer risk were identified in Asians and Caucasians. The results caution against the assumption that genetic risk factors are consistent between races. ..
- Mehta J, Vithana E, Venkataraman D, Venkatraman A, Yong V, Aung T, et al. Surgical management and genetic analysis of a Chinese family with the S171P mutation in the UBIAD1 gene, the gene for Schnyder corneal dystrophy. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009;93:926-31 pubmed publisher..This is the largest non-Caucasian pedigree described with SCD. Visual rehabilitation may be performed successfully with lamellar surgical procedures as opposed to full-thickness corneal grafts. ..
- Li H, Ha T, Tai B. XRCC1 gene polymorphisms and breast cancer risk in different populations: a meta-analysis. Breast. 2009;18:183-91 pubmed publisher..Arg/Arg+Arg/Gln: OR=1.59, 95% CI=1.22, 2.09) only. These findings suggest that polymorphisms Arg280His and Arg399Gln may modify breast cancer risk differently in Caucasian and Asian populations. ..
- Nyunt M, Fones C, Niti M, Ng T. Criterion-based validity and reliability of the Geriatric Depression Screening Scale (GDS-15) in a large validation sample of community-living Asian older adults. Aging Ment Health. 2009;13:376-82 pubmed publisher..The GDS-15 was a reliable and valid screening for MDD across different age, gender, ethnicity and chronic illness status in the community and social service setting. ..
- Ong K, Koay E, Putti T. Detection of cutaneous HPV types 4 and 24 DNA sequences in breast carcinoma in Singaporean women of Asian ancestry. Pathology. 2009;41:436-42 pubmed
- Chia A, Dirani M, Chan Y, Gazzard G, Au Eong K, Selvaraj P, et al. Prevalence of amblyopia and strabismus in young singaporean chinese children. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:3411-7 pubmed publisher..Of children with amblyopia, 15.0% had strabismus, whereas 12.5% of children with strabismus had amblyopia. CONCLUSIONS. The prevalence of amblyopia was similar, whereas the prevalence of strabismus was lower than in other populations. ..
- Ho S, Aw D. Extramammary Paget's disease treated with topical imiquimod 5% cream. Dermatol Ther. 2010;23:423-7 pubmed publisher..Of late, topical imiquimod 5% cream has come into use as another treatment option. We present two cases of EMPD in Asian skin treated successfully with topical imiquimod 5% cream...
- Lavanya R, Kawasaki R, Tay W, Cheung G, Mitchell P, Saw S, et al. Hyperopic refractive error and shorter axial length are associated with age-related macular degeneration: the Singapore Malay Eye Study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:6247-52 pubmed publisher..01) increased risk of early AMD, respectively. No significant association was noted of refractive error and ocular biometry with late AMD. Hyperopic refractive error and shorter axial length are associated with early AMD in Asian eyes. ..
- Deans C, Yeo M, Soe M, Shabbir A, Ti T, So J. Cancer of the gastric cardia is rising in incidence in an Asian population and is associated with adverse outcome. World J Surg. 2011;35:617-24 pubmed publisher..This study was designed to examine the changing trends in incidence of gastric cardia cancer (type III) within this population and to compare the clinicopathological characteristics and outcome of these tumors with gastric tumors...
- Gan E, Tang M, Tan S. Lymphomatoid papulosis: is a second lymphoma commoner among East Asians?. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2012;37:118-21 pubmed publisher..Lymphomatoid papulosis (LyP) is a low-grade cutaneous lymphoma, which lies within the spectrum of primary cutaneous CD30-positive lymphoproliferative disorders. Around 10-20% of LyP cases are associated with a second lymphoma...
- Koh G, Tai B, Ang L, Heng D, Yuan J, Koh W. All-cause and cause-specific mortality after hip fracture among Chinese women and men: the Singapore Chinese Health Study. Osteoporos Int. 2013;24:1981-9 pubmed publisher..All-cause mortality risk persisted for 5 years after hip fractures in men and women. There are gender-specific differences in effect size and duration of excess mortality risk from hip fractures between specific causes of death. ..
- Cheng C, Schache M, Ikram M, Young T, Guggenheim J, Vitart V, et al. Nine loci for ocular axial length identified through genome-wide association studies, including shared loci with refractive error. Am J Hum Genet. 2013;93:264-77 pubmed publisher..This study provides evidence of shared genes between AL and refraction, but importantly also suggests that these traits may have unique pathways. ..
- Han M, Zheng W, Cai Q, Gao Y, Zheng Y, Bolla M, et al. Evaluating genetic variants associated with breast cancer risk in high and moderate-penetrance genes in Asians. Carcinogenesis. 2017;38:511-518 pubmed publisher..These results provide further insights that, in addition to the high/moderate penetrance mutations, other low-penetrance variants in these genes may also contribute to breast cancer risk. ..
- Tan E, Chai A, Lum S, Shen H, Tan C, Teoh M, et al. Monoamine oxidase B polymorphism, cigarette smoking and risk of Parkinson's disease: a study in an Asian population. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2003;120B:58-62 pubmed..The MAO B G/A genotype frequency in our Asian population was quite different from Caucasians suggesting that ethnicity specific effects need to be considered in evaluating gene-environmental interaction. ..
- Zhao W, Rasheed A, Tikkanen E, Lee J, Butterworth A, Howson J, et al. Identification of new susceptibility loci for type 2 diabetes and shared etiological pathways with coronary heart disease. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1450-1457 pubmed publisher..The variants associated with both outcomes implicate new pathways as well as targets of existing drugs, including icosapent ethyl and adipocyte fatty-acid-binding protein. ..
- Ang T, Fock K, Dhamodaran S, Teo E, Tan J. Racial differences in Helicobacter pylori, serum pepsinogen and gastric cancer incidence in an urban Asian population. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005;20:1603-9 pubmed..The lower incidence of gastric cancer among Indian subjects cannot be explained by differences in H. pylori or serum PG. Other modifying factors such as host and environmental factors may be important. ..
- Li L, Tan C, Koo S, Chong K, Lee E. Identification and functional analysis of variants in the human concentrative nucleoside transporter 2, hCNT2 (SLC28A2) in Chinese, Malays and Indians. Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2007;17:783-6 pubmed..Expression of these variants in U-251 cells revealed that all except E385K can uptake various substrates of hCNT2: inosine, ribavirin and uridine. ..
- Dalan R, Leow M, Leow M, Leow M. Cardiovascular collapse associated with beta blockade in thyroid storm. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2007;115:392-6 pubmed..A safer alternative is the use of ultra short-acting beta-blockers, such as intravenous esmolol, with extreme caution. ..
- Tan E, Lee J, Chen C, Teo Y, Zhao Y, Lee W. SORL1 haplotypes modulate risk of Alzheimer's disease in Chinese. Neurobiol Aging. 2009;30:1048-51 pubmed..However, our study suggests that certain SORL1 haplotypes at SNPs 19-24 modulated risk of AD in our Chinese population. ..
- Wong C, Koo S, She G, Chui P, Lee E. Genetic variability of RyR2 and CASQ2 genes in an Asian population. Forensic Sci Int. 2009;192:53-5 pubmed publisher..The research results will be valuable for which future work involving clinical and forensic samples can be based upon to distinguish potential disease-associated mutations from common polymorphisms. ..
- Chen J, Zheng H, Bei J, Sun L, Jia W, Li T, et al. Genetic structure of the Han Chinese population revealed by genome-wide SNP variation. Am J Hum Genet. 2009;85:775-85 pubmed publisher..Our findings are important for designing GWAS in the Chinese population, an activity that is expected to intensify greatly in the near future. ..
- Tan K, Bang S, Sim R. Surgery for small bowel perforation in an Asian population: predictors of morbidity and mortality. J Gastrointest Surg. 2010;14:493-9 pubmed publisher..Surgery for small bowel perforation is associated with significant morbidity and mortality rates. Patients with more severe peritonitis and physiological derangement were more likely to fare worse. ..
- Chen C, Gan Y. The allele frequencies of three polymorphisms in genes involved in homocysteine metabolism in a group of unrelated healthy Singaporeans. Dis Markers. 2010;29:111-9 pubmed publisher..Since human Hcy levels are also affected by environmental factors, further studies are required to better evaluate the association between these three polymorphisms and Hcy levels and/or disease susceptibilities in Singaporeans. ..
- Wong C, Lim G, Gao F, Jakes R, Offman J, Chia K, et al. Mammographic density and its interaction with other breast cancer risk factors in an Asian population. Br J Cancer. 2011;104:871-4 pubmed publisher..Density had significant interactions with body mass index and oral contraceptive use (P=0.02). Percent density increases breast cancer risk in addition to effects of other risk factors, and modifies the effects of BMI and OCs. ..
- Koh A, Khin L, Choi L, Sim L, Chua T, Koh T, et al. Percutaneous coronary intervention in Asians--are there differences in clinical outcome?. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2011;11:22 pubmed publisher..In particular, Indian patients have higher six month event rates compared to Chinese and Malays. Future studies are warranted to elucidate the underlying mechanisms behind these variations. ..
- Thalamuthu A, Khor C, Venkataraman D, Koh L, Tan D, Aung T, et al. Association of TCF4 gene polymorphisms with Fuchs' corneal dystrophy in the Chinese. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:5573-8 pubmed publisher..Polymorphisms within TCF4, a gene which has been implicated in FCD susceptibility among Europeans, was also found to be strongly associated with FCD in Chinese. ..
- Teo L, Mehta J, Htoon H, Tan D. Severity of pediatric blepharokeratoconjunctivitis in Asian eyes. Am J Ophthalmol. 2012;153:564-570.e1 pubmed publisher..To describe and evaluate the severity of pediatric blepharokeratoconjunctivitis in Asia...
- Tan C, Wong H, Yang F. Epidemiology of postoperative endophthalmitis in an Asian population: 11-year incidence and effect of intracameral antibiotic agents. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2012;38:425-30 pubmed publisher..Men and older patients were at a higher risk for endophthalmitis. No author has a financial or proprietary interest in any material or method mentioned. ..
- Kua L, Ross S, Lee S, Mimura K, Kono K, Goh B, et al. UGT1A6 polymorphisms modulated lung cancer risk in a Chinese population. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42873 pubmed publisher..Thus UGT1A6 polymorphisms may be used to identify people with increased risk of developing lung cancer. ..
- Foo J, Liany H, Bei J, Yu X, Liu J, Au W, et al. Rare lysosomal enzyme gene SMPD1 variant (p.R591C) associates with Parkinson's disease. Neurobiol Aging. 2013;34:2890.e13-5 pubmed publisher..Next, we genotyped these variants in another 806 PD cases and 7481 control subjects. We identified a novel, rare SMPD1 variant (p.R591C) which increased the risk of PD (p = 0.009). ..
- Rifkin Graboi A, Bai J, Chen H, Hameed W, Sim L, Tint M, et al. Prenatal maternal depression associates with microstructure of right amygdala in neonates at birth. Biol Psychiatry. 2013;74:837-44 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest the prenatal transmission of vulnerability for depression from mother to child and that interventions targeting maternal depression should begin early in pregnancy. ..
- Wang Y, Choueiri T, Lee J, Tan M, Rha S, North S, et al. Anti-VEGF therapy in mRCC: differences between Asian and non-Asian patients. Br J Cancer. 2014;110:1433-7 pubmed publisher..Judicious dose reductions may allow for better outcomes in both populations due to longer treatment durations, but direct comparisons are needed. ..
- Ang S, Lim S, Tan C, Fong J, Kon W, Lian J, et al. A preliminary study to evaluate the strategy of combining clinical criteria and next generation sequencing (NGS) for the identification of monogenic diabetes among multi-ethnic Asians. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016;119:13-22 pubmed publisher..875, 0.587 and 0.974, respectively. The prevalence of MODY is non-trivial (?15%) among Asians with young-onset diabetes. MODY calculator performs well in our population in nominating probands for genetic testing. ..
- Zheng Y, Cheung C, Wong T, Mitchell P, Aung T. Influence of height, weight, and body mass index on optic disc parameters. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:2998-3002 pubmed publisher..021-mm(2) decrease in optic rim area and a 0.010 increase in optic cup-to-disc ratio. Persons who are taller or have lower BMI have a smaller neuroretinal rim area and a larger optic cup-to-disc area ratio. ..
- Sng C, Cackett P, Yeo I, Thalamuthu A, Venkatraman A, Venkataraman D, et al. Toll-like receptor 3 polymorphism rs3775291 is not associated with choroidal neovascularization or polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy in Chinese subjects. Ophthalmic Res. 2011;45:191-6 pubmed publisher..This study indicates that the TLR3 rs3775291 gene polymorphism is not associated with CNV and PCV in Singaporean Chinese patients. ..
- Vithana E, Morgan P, Ramprasad V, Tan D, Yong V, Venkataraman D, et al. SLC4A11 mutations in Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:656-66 pubmed
- Perera S, Wong T, Tay W, Foster P, Saw S, Aung T. Refractive error, axial dimensions, and primary open-angle glaucoma: the Singapore Malay Eye Study. Arch Ophthalmol. 2010;128:900-5 pubmed publisher..00; 95% confidence interval, 1.09-8.24) than those in quartile 1. This population-based study in Singapore shows an association of moderate myopia and increasing AL with POAG independent of other factors, including CCT. ..
- Wang Z, Seow W, Shiraishi K, Hsiung C, Matsuo K, Liu J, et al. Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies identifies multiple lung cancer susceptibility loci in never-smoking Asian women. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:620-9 pubmed publisher..13 (per-allele OR = 0.89; P = 4.96 Ã— 10(-9)). These findings identified new genetic susceptibility alleles for lung cancer in never-smoking women in Asia and merit follow-up to understand their biological underpinnings. ..
- Moriyama T, Yang Y, Nishii R, Ariffin H, Liu C, Lin T, et al. Novel variants in NUDT15 and thiopurine intolerance in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia from diverse ancestry. Blood. 2017;130:1209-1212 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we discovered 3 novel loss-of-function variants in NUDT15 associated with MP toxicity, enabling more comprehensive pharmacogenetics-based thiopurine dose adjustments across diverse populations. ..
- Dirani M, Chan Y, Gazzard G, Hornbeak D, Leo S, Selvaraj P, et al. Prevalence of refractive error in Singaporean Chinese children: the strabismus, amblyopia, and refractive error in young Singaporean Children (STARS) study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:1348-55 pubmed publisher..Age effects were observed for each refractive error category, but differences between the sexes were not significant. Age-related variation in myopia prevalence may be influenced by ocular development, environment, and/or testability. ..
- Wilder Smith E, Ng E, Chan Y, Therimadasamy A. Sensory distribution indicates severity of median nerve damage in carpal tunnel syndrome. Clin Neurophysiol. 2008;119:1619-25 pubmed publisher..This study provides clinicians with a simple clinical rule for assigning the degree of median nerve damage in patients with CTS based on sensory distribution patterns. ..
- Trager M, Dirani M, Fan Q, Gazzard G, Selvaraj P, Chia A, et al. Testability of vision and refraction in preschoolers: the strabismus, amblyopia, and refractive error study in singaporean children. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009;148:235-241.e6 pubmed publisher..Preschool children in older age groups are likely to complete these tests successfully, with important implications for determining age limits for screening in the community and clinic. ..
- Tan C, Chan Y, Wong T, Gazzard G, Niti M, Ng T, et al. Prevalence and risk factors for refractive errors and ocular biometry parameters in an elderly Asian population: the Singapore Longitudinal Aging Study (SLAS). Eye (Lond). 2011;25:1294-301 pubmed publisher..Male gender and higher education were independent risk factors for myopia. These data suggest that higher rates of myopia in East Asians compared with Caucasians may not be a recent phenomenon. ..
- Chew S, Sandanaraj E, Singh O, Chen X, Tan E, Lim W, et al. Influence of SLCO1B3 haplotype-tag SNPs on docetaxel disposition in Chinese nasopharyngeal cancer patients. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2012;73:606-18 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the importance of SLCO1B3 polymorphic variations in influencing docetaxel disposition in nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients. ..
- Kwok B, Pua Y, Mamun K, Wong W. The minimal clinically important difference of six-minute walk in Asian older adults. BMC Geriatr. 2013;13:23 pubmed publisher..9 m. The MCID estimate for 6MWD was 17.8 m in the moderately frail Asian older adults with a fear of falling. The results will aid the clinicians in goal setting for this patient population. ..
- Lal S, Wong Z, Jada S, Xiang X, Chen Shu X, Ang P, et al. Novel SLC22A16 polymorphisms and influence on doxorubicin pharmacokinetics in Asian breast cancer patients. Pharmacogenomics. 2007;8:567-75 pubmed..Further in vitro studies are required to determine the functional impact of these novel polymorphisms on doxorubicin pharmacokinetics in cancer patients. ..
- Andiappan A, Wang D, Anantharaman R, Parate P, Suri B, Low H, et al. Genome-wide association study for atopy and allergic rhinitis in a Singapore Chinese population. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19719 pubmed publisher..Further study on these molecules and their signaling pathways would help in understanding of the pathogenesis of allergic rhinitis and identification of targets for new therapeutic intervention. ..
- Chia A, Jaurigue A, Gazzard G, Wang Y, Tan D, Stone R, et al. Ocular dominance, laterality, and refraction in Singaporean children. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:3533-6 pubmed..Although there is no apparent association between refraction and ocular dominance in young Singaporean children, more research is needed to resolve the disparate results in existing reports. ..
- Soo R, Wang L, Ng S, Chong P, Yong W, Lee S, et al. Distribution of gemcitabine pathway genotypes in ethnic Asians and their association with outcome in non-small cell lung cancer patients. Lung Cancer. 2009;63:121-7 pubmed publisher..037). Many genotypes in gemcitabine pharmacology vary in their frequency between Caucasians and Asians. CDA+435, and SLC28A1+1561 are worthy of further investigation as potential indicators of patient outcome after gemcitabine treatment. ..
- Au Eong K, Chan E, Luo N, Wong S, Tan N, Lim T, et al. Validity of EuroQOL-5D, time trade-off, and standard gamble for age-related macular degeneration in the Singapore population. Eye (Lond). 2012;26:379-88 pubmed publisher..EQ-5D, TTO, and SG showed suboptimal construct validity, suggesting that health status utilities may not be sufficiently robust for cost-utility analyses in this population. ..
- Tong Y, Liao W, Roy A, Ng S. Absence of mutations in the coding regions of follicle-stimulating hormone receptor gene in Singapore Chinese women with premature ovarian failure and polycystic ovary syndrome. Horm Metab Res. 2001;33:221-6 pubmed..It appears from this study that mutations in the coding regions of FSHR gene are not a causative factor of the above clinical manifestations in Chinese Singapore women. ..
- Zhou Q, Sparreboom A, Tan E, Cheung Y, Lee A, Poon D, et al. Pharmacogenetic profiling across the irinotecan pathway in Asian patients with cancer. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2005;59:415-24 pubmed
- Lee K, Vithana E, Mathur R, Yong V, Yeo I, Thalamuthu A, et al. Association analysis of CFH, C2, BF, and HTRA1 gene polymorphisms in Chinese patients with polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:2613-9 pubmed publisher..Variants in the C2 and BF genes have been found to confer a significantly reduced risk of AMD. This study was undertaken to determine whether these associations occur in Chinese patients with PCV...
- Lal S, Sandanaraj E, Wong Z, Ang P, Wong N, Lee E, et al. CBR1 and CBR3 pharmacogenetics and their influence on doxorubicin disposition in Asian breast cancer patients. Cancer Sci. 2008;99:2045-54 pubmed publisher..Further evaluation of carbonyl reductase polymorphisms in influencing the treatment efficacy of doxorubicin-based chemotherapy in Asian cancer patients are warranted. ..
- Ku C, Pawitan Y, Sim X, Ong R, Seielstad M, Lee E, et al. Genomic copy number variations in three Southeast Asian populations. Hum Mutat. 2010;31:851-7 pubmed publisher..Tens of loci show population differentiation and overlap with genes previously known to be associated with genetic risk of diseases. One of these loci is the CYP2A6 deletion, previously linked to reduced susceptibility to lung cancer. ..
- Sharma V, Tsivgoulis G, Tan J, Wong L, Ong B, Chan B, et al. Feasibility and safety of intravenous thrombolysis in multiethnic Asian stroke patients in Singapore. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2010;19:424-30 pubmed publisher..89) were associated with a higher likelihood for functional independence at 3 months. Our data indicate that standard-dose IV-tPA (0.9 mg/kg) was feasible and safe for treating acute IS in our multiethnic Asian population in Singapore. ..
- Dorajoo R, Blakemore A, Sim X, Ong R, Ng D, Seielstad M, et al. Replication of 13 obesity loci among Singaporean Chinese, Malay and Asian-Indian populations. Int J Obes (Lond). 2012;36:159-63 pubmed publisher..Thus, it is likely that Europeans and Asians share some of the genetic predisposition to obesity. Furthermore, the neurotrophin/TRK signalling may have a central role for common obesity among Asians. ..
- Tan D, Chong W, Tay W, Yuen L, He M, Aung T, et al. Anterior chamber dimensions and posterior corneal arc length in Malay eyes: an anterior segment optical coherence tomography study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:4860-7 pubmed publisher..We provided normative data of corneal and anterior segment dimensions, and a novel parameter, posterior corneal arc length (PCAL), in an adult Malay population...
- Li X, Kan E, Lu J, Cao Y, Wong R, Keshavarzian A, et al. Combat-training increases intestinal permeability, immune activation and gastrointestinal symptoms in soldiers. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2013;37:799-809 pubmed publisher..Identification of subgroups of individuals at high-risk of GI compromise and of long-term deleterious effects of operational stress as well as the development of protective measures will be the focus of future studies. ..
- Pan C, Zheng Y, Anuar A, Chew M, Gazzard G, Aung T, et al. Prevalence of refractive errors in a multiethnic Asian population: the Singapore epidemiology of eye disease study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:2590-8 pubmed publisher..To determine the prevalence of refractive errors in a multiethnic Asian population aged over 40 years and to examine secular trends and racial differences...
- Zhu M, Dai J, Wang C, Wang Y, Qin N, Ma H, et al. Fine mapping the MHC region identified four independent variants modifying susceptibility to chronic hepatitis B in Han Chinese. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:1225-32 pubmed publisher..The results provided a deeper understanding of the GWAS signals and identified additional susceptibility loci which were missed in previous association studies. ..
- Fong S, Tan J. Septic arthritis after arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2004;33:228-34 pubmed..A retrospective review of postoperative infected anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction was done on 472 consecutive cases in one institution. The purpose was to assess the incidence, diagnosis, treatment and outcome factors...
- Lee S, Ng S, Oldenburg J, Chong P, Rost S, Guo J, et al. Interethnic variability of warfarin maintenance requirement is explained by VKORC1 genotype in an Asian population. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2006;79:197-205 pubmed
- Pica E, Kathirvel P, Pramono Z, Lai P, Yee W. Characterization of a novel S13F desmin mutation associated with desmin myopathy and heart block in a Chinese family. Neuromuscul Disord. 2008;18:178-82 pubmed..Expression of the mutant desmin cDNA in cell lines induced large desmin accumulations associated with preservation of a filamentous network. ..
- Niti M, Yap K, Kua E, Tan C, Ng T. Physical, social and productive leisure activities, cognitive decline and interaction with APOE-epsilon 4 genotype in Chinese older adults. Int Psychogeriatr. 2008;20:237-51 pubmed publisher..APOE-epsilon 4 genotype individuals appeared to be more vulnerable to the effects of low and high levels of leisure activities. ..
- Saw S, Chan Y, Wong W, Shankar A, Sandar M, Aung T, et al. Prevalence and risk factors for refractive errors in the Singapore Malay Eye Survey. Ophthalmology. 2008;115:1713-9 pubmed publisher..Compared with previous reports of similarly aged Singapore Chinese adults, the prevalence of myopia, astigmatism, and anisometropia was lower, whereas the prevalence of hyperopia was similar. ..