Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
Locale: Singapore, Central Singapore, Singapore
Publications1213 found, 100 shown here
- Lee E, Lam D, Wu C, Yang J, Tham C, Ng W, et al. Glioma gene therapy using induced pluripotent stem cell derived neural stem cells. Mol Pharm. 2011;8:1515-24 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide evidence for the feasibility of using iPS cell derived NSCs as cellular vehicles for targeted anticancer gene therapy. ..
- Teo B, Goh S, Kustandi T, Loh W, Low H, Yim E. The effect of micro and nanotopography on endocytosis in drug and gene delivery systems. Biomaterials. 2011;32:9866-75 pubmed publisher..Besides being important in understanding the fundamental process of endocytosis, the current research results may also lead to applications utilizing nanotopography to enhance drug and gene delivery. ..
- Mann K, Ward J, Yew C, Kovochich A, Dawson D, Black M, et al. Sleeping Beauty mutagenesis reveals cooperating mutations and pathways in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:5934-41 pubmed publisher..SB mutagenesis provides a rich resource of mutations in potential cancer drivers for cross-comparative analyses with ongoing sequencing efforts in human pancreatic adenocarcinoma. ..
- Liang Y, Choo S, Rossbach M, Baburajendran N, Palasingam P, Kolatkar P. Crystal optimization and preliminary diffraction data analysis of the SCAN domain of Zfp206. Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun. 2012;68:443-7 pubmed publisher..Optimized crystals diffracted to 1.85 Å resolution and belonged to space group I422, with unit-cell parameters a = 67.57, c = 87.54 Å. A Matthews analysis indicated the presence of one Zfp206SCAN molecule per asymmetric unit. ..
- Kaur C, Sivakumar V, Robinson R, Foulds W, Luu C, Ling E. Neuroprotective effect of melatonin against hypoxia-induced retinal ganglion cell death in neonatal rats. J Pineal Res. 2013;54:190-206 pubmed publisher..The results may have therapeutic implications for the management of retinopathy of prematurity. ..
- Yap K, Makeyev E. Regulation of gene expression in mammalian nervous system through alternative pre-mRNA splicing coupled with RNA quality control mechanisms. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2013;56:420-8 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'RNA and splicing regulation in neurodegeneration'. ..
- Chatterjee A, Lagisz M, Rodger E, Zhen L, Stockwell P, Duncan E, et al. Sex differences in DNA methylation and expression in zebrafish brain: a test of an extended 'male sex drive' hypothesis. Gene. 2016;590:307-16 pubmed publisher..Our study provides genome-wide methylome and transcriptome assessment and sheds light on sex-specific epigenetic patterns and in zebrafish for the first time. ..
- Qi L, Song Y, Chan T, Yang H, Lin C, Tay D, et al. An RNA editing/dsRNA binding-independent gene regulatory mechanism of ADARs and its clinical implication in cancer. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:10436-10451 pubmed publisher..This non-editing side of ADARs opens another door to target cancer...
- Hung Ho S, Wang J, Sim K, Ee G, Imiyabir Z, Yap K, et al. Meliternatin: a feeding deterrent and larvicidal polyoxygenated flavone from Melicope subunifoliolata. Phytochemistry. 2003;62:1121-4 pubmed..Diptera). One anti-insect compound, meliternatin (3,5-dimethoxy-3',4',6,7-bismethylendioxyflavone) (6) and six other minor polyoxygenated flavones were isolated from M. subunifoliolata. ..
- Mudumana S, Wan H, Singh M, Korzh V, Gong Z. Expression analyses of zebrafish transferrin, ifabp, and elastaseB mRNAs as differentiation markers for the three major endodermal organs: liver, intestine, and exocrine pancreas. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:165-73 pubmed..In contrast to the transferrin and ifabp mRNAs, elastaseB mRNAs were not expressed in the yolk sac or YSL, and these transcripts were detected exclusively in the exocrine pancreas after approximately 56 hpf. ..
- Guo K, Li J, Tang J, Koh V, Gan B, Zeng Q. Catalytic domain of PRL-3 plays an essential role in tumor metastasis: formation of PRL-3 tumors inside the blood vessels. Cancer Biol Ther. 2004;3:945-51 pubmed..The catalytic domain of PRL-3 could serve as an ideal therapeutic target for drug development to block the spread of colorectal cancer. ..
- Dai R, Dheen S, He B, Tay S. Differential expression of cytokines in the rat heart in response to sustained volume overload. Eur J Heart Fail. 2004;6:693-703 pubmed..In addition, the differential expressions of TNF-alpha, IL-1beta and IL-6 suggest that the induction of IL-6 and IL-1beta is independent of TNF-alpha mediated pathways in this animal model. ..
- Sio S, Puthia M, Lee A, Lu J, Tan K. Protease activity of Blastocystis hominis. Parasitol Res. 2006;99:126-30 pubmed..Proteases were found to be pH-dependent and highest proteolytic activity was observed at neutral pH. Inhibition studies showed that B. hominis isolate B, like many other protozoan parasites, contains mainly cysteine proteases...
- Chang P, Mao J, Huang S, Ning L, Wang Z, On T, et al. Analysis of cardioprotective effects using purified Salvia miltiorrhiza extract on isolated rat hearts. J Pharmacol Sci. 2006;101:245-9 pubmed..Further study will be conducted on the potential therapeutic value with lower dose of PSME on prevention of ischemic heart disease. ..
- Leong D, Abraham M, Rath S, Lim T, Chew F, Hutmacher D. Investigating the effects of preinduction on human adipose-derived precursor cells in an athymic rat model. Differentiation. 2006;74:519-29 pubmed..However, no significant differences were observed in these indicators when compared between the induced and preinduced groups. ..
- Tang B, Liou Y. Novel modulators of amyloid-beta precursor protein processing. J Neurochem. 2007;100:314-23 pubmed
- Zhou X, Tan T, Valiyaveettil S, Go M, Kini R, Velazquez Campoy A, et al. Structural characterization of myotoxic ecarpholin S from Echis carinatus venom. Biophys J. 2008;95:3366-80 pubmed publisher..This study provides significant structural and functional insights into the myotoxic activity of ecarpholin S and, in general, of non-Asp(49)-PLA(2) enzymes. ..
- Loh K, Huang S, Tan B, Zhu Y. Cerebral protection of purified Herba Leonuri extract on middle cerebral artery occluded rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2009;125:337-43 pubmed publisher..pHL could reduce the level of apoptosis and also the pro-apoptotic proteins, but increase the level of anti-apoptotic proteins. pHL is believed to have promising therapeutic effect for stroke treatment through antioxidant mechanisms. ..
- Chen Y, Gan B, Tang B. Syntaxin 16: unraveling cellular physiology through a ubiquitous SNARE molecule. J Cell Physiol. 2010;225:326-32 pubmed publisher..Further, we speculate on some possible pathophysiological roles of Syx16. ..
- Santoso A, Sonarno I, Arsad N, Liang W. The role of the urothelium and ATP in mediating detrusor smooth muscle contractility. Urology. 2010;76:1267.e7-12 pubmed publisher..Purinergic signaling exists in the bladder but both the inhibitory effect of ATP on detrusor contractions and the function of urothelial ATP are not established...
- Choi B, Yoon H. FKBP38-Bcl-2 interaction: a novel link to chemoresistance. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2011;11:354-9 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss recent advances in the role of FKBP38 in connection with Bcl-2 and its possible link to chemotherapeutic resistance. ..
- Yang H, Xia Y, Wang L, Liu R, Goh K, Ju P, et al. A novel role for neural cell adhesion molecule in modulating insulin signaling and adipocyte differentiation of mouse mesenchymal stem cells. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:2552-60 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a novel role of NCAM in promoting insulin signaling and adipocyte differentiation of adult stem cells. These findings raise the possibility of using NCAM intervention to improve insulin resistance. ..
- Narmada B, Chia S, Tucker Kellogg L, Yu H. HGF regulates the activation of TGF-?1 in rat hepatocytes and hepatic stellate cells. J Cell Physiol. 2013;228:393-401 pubmed publisher..Therefore, HGF can decrease TGF-?1 activation and TGF-?1-dependent fibrotic markers, by stimulating hepatocytes to produce plasmin, and by antagonizing TSP-1-dependent activation of TGF-?1. ..
- Horn H, Brownstein Z, Lenz D, Shivatzki S, Dror A, Dagan Rosenfeld O, et al. The LINC complex is essential for hearing. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:740-50 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the LINC complex is essential for viability and normal morphology of OHCs and suggest that the position of the nucleus in sensory epithelial cells is critical for maintenance of normal hearing...
- Sun W, Hu X, Lim M, Ng C, Choo S, Castro D, et al. TherMos: Estimating protein-DNA binding energies from in vivo binding profiles. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:5555-68 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals new insights into the energetics of TF-DNA binding in vivo and provides an accurate first-principles approach to binding energy inference from ChIP-seq and ChIP-exo data. ..
- Liu M, Chen L, Chan T, Song Y, Fu L, Zeng T, et al. Allele-specific imbalance of oxidative stress-induced growth inhibitor 1 associates with progression of hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology. 2014;146:1084-96 pubmed publisher..We identified OSGIN1 as a tumor suppressor that is down-regulated or altered in human HCCs. Variants of OSGIN1 detected in HCC samples reduce apoptosis and are associated with shorter survival times of patients. ..
- Ishimoto T, Miyake K, Nandi T, Yashiro M, Onishi N, Huang K, et al. Activation of Transforming Growth Factor Beta 1 Signaling in Gastric Cancer-associated Fibroblasts Increases Their Motility, via Expression of Rhomboid 5 Homolog 2, and Ability to Induce Invasiveness of Gastric Cancer Cells. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:191-204.e16 pubmed publisher..RHBDF2 promotes cleavage of TGFBR1 by activating TACE and motility of CAFs in response to TGFB1. These highly motile CAFs induce DGCs to invade extracellular matrix and lymphatic vessels in nude mice. ..
- Perumal Samy R, Pachiappan A, Gopalakrishnakone P, Thwin M, Hian Y, Chow V, et al. In vitro antimicrobial activity of natural toxins and animal venoms tested against Burkholderia pseudomallei. BMC Infect Dis. 2006;6:100 pubmed..5 mg/mL. This antibacterial profile of snake venoms reported herein will be useful in the search for potential antibacterial agents against drug resistant microorganisms like B. pseudomallei. ..
- Angunawela R, Riau A, Chaurasia S, Tan D, Mehta J. Refractive lenticule re-implantation after myopic ReLEx: a feasibility study of stromal restoration after refractive surgery in a rabbit model. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:4975-85 pubmed publisher..To investigate the potential of refractive lenticule (RL) storage and re-implantation in vivo as a method for reversing RL extraction (ReLEx) and restoring corneal stromal volume...
- Chan S, Yee K, Tan K, Yu V. The Caenorhabditis elegans sex determination protein FEM-1 is a CED-3 substrate that associates with CED-4 and mediates apoptosis in mammalian cells. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:17925-8 pubmed..Similarly, Apaf-1, the mammalian homologue of CED-4 was found to associate with F1Aalpha. These data suggest that FEM-1 and F1Aalpha may mediate apoptosis by communicating directly with the core machinery of apoptosis. ..
- Ben J, Lim T, Phang V, Chan W. Cloning and tissue expression of 6-pyruvoyl tetrahydropterin synthase and xanthine dehydrogenase from Poecilia reticulata. Mar Biotechnol (NY). 2003;5:568-78 pubmed..The results implied that high expression of PTPS is correlated with the biosynthesis of pteridines in the erythrophores and xanthophores, while the association between the putative guppy XDH with specific chromatophores is less clear. ..
- Ji J, Dheen S, Kumar S, He B, Tay S. Expressions of cytokines and chemokines in the dorsal motor nucleus of the vagus nerve after right vagotomy. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2005;142:47-57 pubmed..However, it warrants further investigation to understand the neurodestructive and neuroprotective mechanisms that determine the fate of the vagal motoneurons after vagotomy. ..
- Tan E, Hooi S, Laban M, Wong E, Ponniah S, Wee A, et al. CCAAT/enhancer binding protein alpha knock-in mice exhibit early liver glycogen storage and reduced susceptibility to hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2005;65:10330-7 pubmed..Our data establish that controlled C/EBPalpha production can inhibit liver tumor growth in vivo. ..
- Mahalakshmi R, Nagashima K, Ng M, Inagaki N, Hunziker W, Beguin P. Nuclear transport of Kir/Gem requires specific signals and importin alpha5 and is regulated by calmodulin and predicted serine phosphorylations. Traffic. 2007;8:1150-63 pubmed..Nuclear localization of endogenous RGK proteins and modulation of cell shape remodeling by regulated nuclear transport. Traffic 2007; doi:10.1111/j.1600-0854.2007.00599.x), interfere with cell-shape remodeling. ..
- Huynh H, Ngo V, Fargnoli J, Ayers M, Soo K, Koong H, et al. Brivanib alaninate, a dual inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor and fibroblast growth factor receptor tyrosine kinases, induces growth inhibition in mouse models of human hepatocellular carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:6146-53 pubmed publisher..This study provides a strong rationale for clinical investigation of brivanib in patients with HCC. ..
- Jiang X, Lim S, Mao H, Chew S. Current applications and future perspectives of artificial nerve conduits. Exp Neurol. 2010;223:86-101 pubmed publisher..This review highlights the recent advances in synthetic nerve guide designs for peripheral nerve regeneration, and the in vivo applicability and future prospects of these nerve guide conduits. ..
- Kim M, Neal D, Kamm R, Asada H. Dynamic modeling of cell migration and spreading behaviors on fibronectin coated planar substrates and micropatterned geometries. PLoS Comput Biol. 2013;9:e1002926 pubmed publisher..This model will be used as a predictive model to assist in design and data processing of upcoming microfluidic cell migration assays. ..
- Lim H, Thiam C, Yeo K, Bisoendial R, Hii C, McGrath K, et al. Lymphatic vessels are essential for the removal of cholesterol from peripheral tissues by SR-BI-mediated transport of HDL. Cell Metab. 2013;17:671-84 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this study challenges the current view that lymphatic endothelium is a passive exchange barrier for cholesterol transport and provides further evidence for its interplay with lipid biology in health and disease...
- Iravani O, Tay B, Chua P, Yip G, Bay B. Claudins and gastric carcinogenesis. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2013;238:344-9 pubmed publisher..It is now established that CLDNs are differentially altered in gastric cancer and CLDN proteins are believed to play different roles in the growth and progression of gastric cancer...
- Koh Stenta X, Joy J, Poulsen A, Li R, Tan Y, Shim Y, et al. Characterization of the histone methyltransferase PRDM9 using biochemical, biophysical and chemical biology techniques. Biochem J. 2014;461:323-34 pubmed publisher..The present study has provided valuable insight into the enzymology of an intrinsically active PRDM protein. ..
- Korpi E, den Hollander B, Farooq U, Vashchinkina E, Rajkumar R, Nutt D, et al. Mechanisms of Action and Persistent Neuroplasticity by Drugs of Abuse. Pharmacol Rev. 2015;67:872-1004 pubmed publisher..This review describes recent advances in this important area of research, which harbors the aim of translating this knowledge to better treatments for addictions and related neuropsychiatric illnesses. ..
- Liang L, Lim K, Seow K, Ng C, Pallen C. Calmodulin binds to and inhibits the activity of the membrane distal catalytic domain of receptor protein-tyrosine phosphatase alpha. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:30075-81 pubmed..The above findings suggest that calmodulin is a possible specific modulator of PTPalpha-D2 and, via D2, of PTPalpha. ..
- Brenner S, Venkatesh B, Yap W, Chou C, Tay A, Ponniah S, et al. Conserved regulation of the lymphocyte-specific expression of lck in the Fugu and mammals. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:2936-41 pubmed publisher..The short promoter of the Fugu lck isolated by us offers a powerful tool for labeling T cells, targeting expression, and manipulating T cell activity in fishes as well as in mammals...
- Chen Y, Ung C. Computer automated prediction of potential therapeutic and toxicity protein targets of bioactive compounds from Chinese medicinal plants. Am J Chin Med. 2002;30:139-54 pubmed
- Xie Q, Guo H, Dallman G, Fang S, Weissman A, Chua N. SINAT5 promotes ubiquitin-related degradation of NAC1 to attenuate auxin signals. Nature. 2002;419:167-70 pubmed..Low expression of NAC1 in roots can be increased by treatment with a proteasome inhibitor, which indicates that SINAT5 targets NAC1 for ubiquitin-mediated proteolysis to downregulate auxin signals in plant cells. ..
- Chang S, Yong T, Yu C, Liang M, Pletnikova O, Troncoso J, et al. Age and gender-dependent alternative splicing of P/Q-type calcium channel EF-hand. Neuroscience. 2007;145:1026-36 pubmed..A parallel study performed on rodent brains showed that the data drawn from human and rodent tissues may not necessarily correlate in the process of aging. ..
- Wang H, Quah S, Dong J, Manser E, Tang J, Zeng Q. PRL-3 down-regulates PTEN expression and signals through PI3K to promote epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Cancer Res. 2007;67:2922-6 pubmed..Targeting PRL-3 may thus be a useful strategy to impede cancer cell invasion and metastasis. ..
- Hegde A, Zhang H, Moochhala S, Bhatia M. Neurokinin-1 receptor antagonist treatment protects mice against lung injury in polymicrobial sepsis. J Leukoc Biol. 2007;82:678-85 pubmed..Therefore, SP receptor antagonism can be a potential therapeutic target in polymicrobial sepsis, and this effect is brought about via reduction in leukocyte recruitment. ..
- Lin Z, Huang W, Zhang J, Fan J, Yang D. Solution structure of eggcase silk protein and its implications for silk fiber formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:8906-11 pubmed publisher..Our results establish the roles of individual silk protein domains in fiber formation and provide the basis for designing miniature fibroins for producing artificial silks. ..
- Lim E, Tan C, Jay T, Dawe G. Locus coeruleus stimulation and noradrenergic modulation of hippocampo-prefrontal cortex long-term potentiation. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2010;13:1219-31 pubmed publisher..Partial noradrenergic (NAergic) lesioning with DSP-4 also impaired hippo-PFC LTP. In conclusion, the LC and NAergic mechanisms modulate hippo-PFC LTP. ..
- Bulchand S, Menon S, George S, Chia W. The intracellular domain of Dumbfounded affects myoblast fusion efficiency and interacts with Rolling pebbles and Loner. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9374 pubmed publisher..These results suggest an additive function of the intracellular domain of Duf and an early function of Rols and Loner which is independent of Duf. ..
- Sukardi H, Zhang X, Lui E, Ung C, Mathavan S, Gong Z, et al. Liver X receptor agonist T0901317 induced liver perturbation in zebrafish: histological, gene set enrichment and expression analyses. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1820:33-43 pubmed publisher..Our study underscores the potential of using zebrafish model coupled with transcriptomic analysis to capture pharmacological and toxicological or pathological events induced by LXR modulators. ..
- Sidhapuriwala J, Hegde A, Ang A, Zhu Y, Bhatia M. Effects of S-propargyl-cysteine (SPRC) in caerulein-induced acute pancreatitis in mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32574 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these data provide evidence for protective effects of SPRC in AP possibly by virtue of its slow release of endogenous H(2)S. ..
- Ju P, Zhang S, Yeap Y, Feng Z. Induction of neuronal phenotypes from NG2+ glial progenitors by inhibiting epidermal growth factor receptor in mouse spinal cord injury. Glia. 2012;60:1801-14 pubmed publisher..These findings support the possibility of evoking endogenous neuronal replacement from NG2+ glial progenitors and suggest that EGFR inhibition may be beneficial to CNS trauma. ..
- Siddique M, Li Y, Wang L, Ching J, Mal M, Ilkayeva O, et al. Ablation of dihydroceramide desaturase 1, a therapeutic target for the treatment of metabolic diseases, simultaneously stimulates anabolic and catabolic signaling. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:2353-69 pubmed publisher..Thus, Des1 ablation enhanced starvation responses but dissociated them from the anabolic, prosurvival, and antiautophagic Akt/PKB pathways. ..
- Singh A, Lai S, Nandi T, Chua H, Ooi W, Ong C, et al. Evolutionary analysis of Burkholderia pseudomallei identifies putative novel virulence genes, including a microbial regulator of host cell autophagy. J Bacteriol. 2013;195:5487-98 pubmed publisher..pseudomallei intracellular growth. More generally, our study highlights the utility of applying evolutionary principles to microbial genomes to identify novel virulence genes. ..
- Huong T, Iyer Ravi L, Tan B, Sugrue R. Evidence for a biphasic mode of respiratory syncytial virus transmission in permissive HEp2 cell monolayers. Virol J. 2016;13:12 pubmed publisher..However, low levels of cell free-virus infectivity was observed at the advanced stages of infection, which correlated with a general loss in cell monolayer integrity due to virus-induced cytotoxicity. ..
- Chng Y, Ong J, Ching B, Chen X, Hiong K, Wong W, et al. Molecular characterization of three Rhesus glycoproteins from the gills of the African lungfish, Protopterus annectens, and effects of aestivation on their mRNA expression levels and protein abundance. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185814 pubmed publisher..Indeed, the protein abundance of Rhag, Rhbg and Rhcg recovered to the corresponding control levels after 1 day or 3 days of recovery from 6 months of aestivation...
- Kidon M, See Y, Goh A, Chay O, Balakrishnan A. Aeroallergen sensitization in pediatric allergic rhinitis in Singapore: is air-conditioning a factor in the tropics?. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2004;15:340-3 pubmed..Patients living in households without air-conditioning are at increased risk of mold sensitization and polysensitization...
- Li P, Sun M, Ho B, Ding J. The specificity of Sushi peptides for endotoxin and anionic phospholipids: potential application of POPG as an adjuvant for anti-LPS strategies. Biochem Soc Trans. 2006;34:270-2 pubmed
- Vahidy W, Ong W, Farooqui A, Yeo J. Effects of intracerebroventricular injections of free fatty acids, lysophospholipids, or platelet activating factor in a mouse model of orofacial pain. Exp Brain Res. 2006;174:781-5 pubmed..Information regarding pro-nociceptive effect of specific brain lipids may be a useful basis for further studies to explore mechanism. ..
- Tan S, Wang S, Hentze H, Droge P. A UTF1-based selection system for stable homogeneously pluripotent human embryonic stem cell cultures. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:e118 pubmed..Together with its small size of only 2.4 kb for the entire cassette, these features render our selection system a powerful novel tool for many stem cell applications and human somatic cell reprogramming strategies. ..
- Wu Y, Tan H, Huang Q, Ong C, Shen H. Activation of the PI3K-Akt-mTOR signaling pathway promotes necrotic cell death via suppression of autophagy. Autophagy. 2009;5:824-34 pubmed
- Lee L, He J. Reductive debromination of polybrominated diphenyl ethers by anaerobic bacteria from soils and sediments. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76:794-802 pubmed publisher..g., penta- and tetra-BDEs) detected in the environment...
- Kostromina E, Gustavsson N, Wang X, Lim C, Radda G, Li C, et al. Glucose intolerance and impaired insulin secretion in pancreas-specific signal transducer and activator of transcription-3 knockout mice are associated with microvascular alterations in the pancreas. Endocrinology. 2010;151:2050-9 pubmed publisher..Together, our study suggests that pancreatic STAT3 signaling is required for the normal development and maintenance of endocrine pancreas and islet microvascular network, possibly through its regulation of VEGF-A. ..
- Wang Y, Feng C, Sithithaworn P, Feng Y, Petney T. How do snails meet fish? Landscape perspective needed to study parasite prevalence. Ecohealth. 2011;8:258-60 pubmed publisher..In particular, we underscore the need to integrate disease ecology and biogeography using landscape ecological approaches. We use opisthorchiasis, a major public health problem in Southeast Asia, to illustrate our opinions. ..
- Ang S, Moochhala S, Macary P, Bhatia M. Hydrogen sulfide and neurogenic inflammation in polymicrobial sepsis: involvement of substance P and ERK-NF-?B signaling. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24535 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the present findings show that H(2)S regulates TRPV1-mediated neurogenic inflammation in polymicrobial sepsis through enhancement of SP production and activation of the ERK-NF-?B pathway. ..
- Wang S, Taraballi F, Tan L, Ng K. Human keratin hydrogels support fibroblast attachment and proliferation in vitro. Cell Tissue Res. 2012;347:795-802 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results demonstrate that keratin hydrogels can be used as substrates for cell culture. Such gels might find applications as templates for soft tissue regeneration. ..
- Fric J, Lim C, Koh E, Hofmann B, Chen J, Tay H, et al. Calcineurin/NFAT signalling inhibits myeloid haematopoiesis. EMBO Mol Med. 2012;4:269-82 pubmed publisher..The finding that inhibition of NFAT enhances myeloid development provides a novel insight into understanding how the treatment with drugs targeting calcineurin/NFAT signalling influence the homeostasis of the innate immune system. ..
- Lin D, Hao J, Nagata Y, Xu L, Shang L, Meng X, et al. Genomic and molecular characterization of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Nat Genet. 2014;46:467-73 pubmed publisher..Our integrated study unmasks a number of novel genetic lesions in ESCC and provides an important molecular foundation for understanding esophageal tumors and developing therapeutic targets. ..
- Yang Y, Xiong D, Pipathsouk A, Weiner O, Wu M. Clathrin Assembly Defines the Onset and Geometry of Cortical Patterning. Dev Cell. 2017;43:507-521.e4 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data demonstrate the multiplicity of clathrin functions in cortical pattern formation and provide important insights regarding the nucleation and propagation of single-cell patterns. ..
- Zhang Y, Neo S, Han J, Lin S. Dimerization choices control the ability of axin and dishevelled to activate c-Jun N-terminal kinase/stress-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:25008-14 pubmed..We suggest that there may be a switch mechanism based on dimerization combinations, that commands cells to activate Wnt signaling or JNK activation, and to turn on specific activators of JNK in response to various environmental cues. ..
- Yu L, Jiang Y, Low S, Wang Z, Nam S, Liu W, et al. Characterization of three infectious bronchitis virus isolates from China associated with proventriculus in vaccinated chickens. Avian Dis. 2001;45:416-24 pubmed..3%-82.3% similarity in comparison with the 47 published S1 sequences. On the basis of genotyping and limited serology, the three isolates, which were responsible for field outbreaks of the disease, might be a new IBV variant...
- Yap W, Tay A, Brenner S, Venkatesh B. Molecular cloning of the pufferfish (Takifugu rubripes) Mx gene and functional characterization of its promoter. Immunogenetics. 2003;54:705-13 pubmed..Deletion analysis of the promoter showed that both ISREs contributed to inducibility. These results demonstrate that the molecular mechanisms involved in Mx gene regulation are conserved between fish and mammals. ..
- Ju B, Chong S, He J, Wang X, Xu Y, Wan H, et al. Recapitulation of fast skeletal muscle development in zebrafish by transgenic expression of GFP under the mylz2 promoter. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:14-26 pubmed..The mylz2-gfp transgene was also transferred into two zebrafish mutants, spadetail and chordino, and several novel phenotypes in muscle development in these mutants were discovered. ..
- Zhu L, Ang S, Liu W. Quantum dots as a novel immunofluorescent detection system for Cryptosporidium parvum and Giardia lamblia. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2004;70:597-8 pubmed..This novel fluorescence system exhibited superior photostability, gave 1.5- to 9-fold-higher signal-to-noise ratios than traditional organic dyes in detecting C. parvum, and allowed dual-color detection for C. parvum and G. lamblia. ..
- Tang F, Chia S, Chen P, Gao H, Lee W, Yeo T, et al. Metabotropic glutamate receptor 2/3 in the hippocampus of patients with mesial temporal lobe epilepsy, and of rats and mice after pilocarpine-induced status epilepticus. Epilepsy Res. 2004;59:167-80 pubmed..5 to 600 mg/kg, (2R,4R)-APDC may not be effective in the prevention of seizures or neuronal death in the hilus of the dentate gyrus. ..
- Ramalingam J, Hunke C, Gao X, Gr ber G, Preiser P. ATP/ADP binding to a novel nucleotide binding domain of the reticulocyte-binding protein Py235 of Plasmodium yoelii. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:36386-96 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that different structural changes induced by ATP/ADP binding to RBL could play an important role during the invasion process...
- Qin H, Pu H, Li M, Ahmed S, Song J. Identification and structural mechanism for a novel interaction between a ubiquitin ligase WWP1 and Nogo-A, a key inhibitor for central nervous system regeneration. Biochemistry. 2008;47:13647-58 pubmed publisher..0. This study provides rationales as well as a template Nogo-A(650-666) for further design of molecules to intervene in the WWP1-Nogo-A interaction which may regulate the Nogo-A protein level by controlling its ubiquitination. ..
- Atcha Z, Chen W, Ong A, Wong F, Neo A, Browne E, et al. Cognitive enhancing effects of ghrelin receptor agonists. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2009;206:415-27 pubmed publisher..Based on these observations, the central ghrelin receptor would appear to be a chemically tractable receptor and perhaps should be considered as a new drug target for therapeutic approaches to treat diseases affecting cognition. ..
- Xu L, Khadijah S, Fang S, Wang L, Tay F, Liu D. The cellular RNA helicase DDX1 interacts with coronavirus nonstructural protein 14 and enhances viral replication. J Virol. 2010;84:8571-83 pubmed publisher..This study reveals that DDX1 contributes to efficient coronavirus replication in cell culture...
- Ling S, Qamra R, Song H. Structural and functional insights into eukaryotic mRNA decapping. Wiley Interdiscip Rev RNA. 2011;2:193-208 pubmed publisher..Here we summarize the past and recent advances on the structural and functional studies of protein factors involved in regulating mRNA decapping. ..
- Chauhan S, Zheng X, Tan Y, Tay B, Lim S, Venkatesh B, et al. Evolution of the Cdk-activator Speedy/RINGO in vertebrates. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2012;69:3835-50 pubmed publisher..Despite the interspecies variation, Speedy is conserved among most species examined. Our results provide a complete picture of the Speedy gene family and its evolution. ..
- Venkatraman L, Chia S, Narmada B, White J, Bhowmick S, Forbes Dewey C, et al. Plasmin triggers a switch-like decrease in thrombospondin-dependent activation of TGF-?1. Biophys J. 2012;103:1060-8 pubmed..This switch suggests an explanation for the unexpected effects of the plasminogen activation system on TGF-?1 in fibrotic diseases in vivo, as well as novel prognostic and therapeutic approaches for diseases with TGF-? dysregulation. ..
- Ng S, Tan T, Wang Y, Ng D, Goh L, Bardor M, et al. Production of functional soluble Dectin-1 glycoprotein using an IRES-linked destabilized-dihydrofolate reductase expression vector. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52785 pubmed publisher..sDectin-1 protein produced is glycosylated and functional. This vector design can thus be used efficiently for the high-titer production of functional recombinant proteins. ..
- Tan L. Pharmaceutical agents from filamentous marine cyanobacteria. Drug Discov Today. 2013;18:863-71 pubmed publisher..Medically relevant molecular targets, such as microtubules, actin filaments, proteasome and histone deacetylase enzymes, of these compounds will be emphasized. ..