Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Dakar, Senegal
Locale: Dakar, Senegal
Publications232 found, 100 shown here
- Seck S, Dussol B, Brunet P, Burtey S. Clinical features and outcomes of ANCA-associated renal vasculitis. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2012;23:301-5 pubmed..ANCA associated vasculitis are frequent in our patients. Long-term outcomes are relatively good despite a mortality rate of 15% and 25% of the patients entering dialysis after three years of follow-up. ..
- Sarr M, Ba D, Ndiaye M, Bodian M, Jobe M, Kane A, et al. Acute coronary syndrome in young Sub-Saharan Africans: a prospective study of 21 cases. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2013;13:118 pubmed publisher..4% of the patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Hospital mortality was 14.3%. Acute coronary syndrome is present in young Sub-Saharan Africans. The main risk factor found was smoking. ..
- Ba I, Ba A, Faye P, Thiongane A, AttiyÃ© Kane M, Sonko A, et al. Pediatric invasive pneumococcal disease in Senegal. Med Mal Infect. 2015;45:463-9 pubmed publisher..Infants<2 years of age are particularly affected. The very high case fatality (17%) was significantly associated with meningeal infection sites hence the need for better access to pneumococcal vaccines. ..
- Diallo I, Mbengue A, Gning S, Amar M, Ndiaye B, Diop Y, et al. Hepatosplenic tuberculosis simulating secondary malignant lesions with cholangitis. BMC Res Notes. 2016;9:316 pubmed publisher..The outcome was favorable under treatment. In front of hepatic nodular lesions simulating malignancies in a tuberculosis endemic areas, achieving a liver biopsy helps rectify the diagnosis. ..
- Crato M, Michel P, Rodier G, Ka M, Hugard L, Diouf G. [Viral markers of acute hepatitis: A, B, C, D, and E in Dakar. October 92 - October 93]. Dakar Med. 1993;38:183-5 pubmed..28 patients presented any viral acute hepatitis marker and in this case can be evocated other hepatitis origin: viral hepatitis type (EBV), CMV, chronic hepatitis evolution, malaria hepatitis or toxic hepatitis. ..
- Brahim H, Perrier Gros Claude J, Postic D, Baranton G, Jambou R. Identifying relapsing fever Borrelia, Senegal. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005;11:474-5 pubmed..Borrelia crocidurae was the only species identified. ..
- Toure N, Thiam K, Diatta A, Dia Kane Y, Ndiaye E, Cisse M, et al. [Smoking among health workers at four large hospitals in Dakar (Senegal)]. Rev Mal Respir. 2011;28:1095-103 pubmed publisher..Consequently, engagement in the fight against smoking must constitute a major priority for health workers who must set an example for their patients. ..
- Diouara A, Diop Ndiaye H, Kebe Fall K, Tchiakpe E, Ndiaye O, Ayouba A, et al. Dried blood spots for HIV-1 drug resistance genotyping in decentralized settings in Senegal. J Med Virol. 2014;86:45-51 pubmed publisher..Use of a DBS specimen is suitable to assist national programs for monitoring in remote areas HIV drug resistance in resources limited-settings...
- Meurs L, Mbow M, Boon N, Van den Broeck F, Vereecken K, Dieye T, et al. Micro-geographical heterogeneity in Schistosoma mansoni and S. haematobium infection and morbidity in a co-endemic community in northern Senegal. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013;7:e2608 pubmed publisher..Such knowledge could give important insights into the drivers of infection and disease and as such better tailor schistosomiasis control and elimination efforts...
- Koulimaya Gombet C, Diouf A, Diallo M, Dia A, Sène C, Moreau J, et al. [Pregnancy and delivery in patients with a personal history of cesarean section in Dakar: epidemiological, clinical, therapeutic and prognostic aspects]. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;27:135 pubmed publisher..The quality of management should be enhanced through a better strategy in preparation for delivery. Trial of scar is a procedure to encourage in order to reduce the rate of iterative cesarean sections. ..
- Taylor W, Naw H, Maitland K, Williams T, Kapulu M, D Alessandro U, et al. Single low-dose primaquine for blocking transmission of Plasmodium falciparum malaria - a proposed model-derived age-based regimen for sub-Saharan Africa. BMC Med. 2018;16:11 pubmed publisher..5 - 11 years. If the regimen is safe and demonstrates adequate pharmacokinetics, it should be used to support malaria elimination. ..
- Ernould J, Ba K, Sellin B. The impact of the local water-development programme on the abundance of the intermediate hosts of schistosomiasis in three villages of the Senegal River delta. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 1999;93:135-45 pubmed..The changing distributions of these two snail species appear to be linked to changes in local ecology, themselves the result of the recent programme of water-development in the delta. ..
- Brasseur P, Raccurt C, Badiane M, Cisse M, Trape J, Sokhna C. [Changes in malaria prevalence and management of fevers from 2000 to 2012 in Casamance, Senegal]. Bull Soc Pathol Exot. 2015;108:10-3 pubmed publisher..Improvement of fever management in Mlomp has contributed to a better identification of their cause and to a decrease of inappropriate malaria treatments. ..
- Dankwa S, Chaand M, Kanjee U, Jiang R, Nobre L, Goldberg J, et al. Genetic Evidence for Erythrocyte Receptor Glycophorin B Expression Levels Defining a Dominant Plasmodium falciparum Invasion Pathway into Human Erythrocytes. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..The collective data suggest that the GPA and GPB receptors are of greater importance than the GPC receptor, supporting a hierarchy of erythrocyte receptor usage in P. falciparum. ..
- Jaquet A, Wandeler G, Tine J, Diallo M, Manga N, Dia N, et al. Prevention and Care of Hepatitis B in Senegal; Awareness and Attitudes of Medical Practitioners. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:389-395 pubmed publisher..There is a need to raise awareness of medical practitioners in Senegal toward universal HBV screening and early vaccination of newborns. ..
- Gassama Sow A, Sow P, Guèye M, Guèye N diaye A, Perret J, M Boup S, et al. Characterization of pathogenic Escherichia coli in human immunodeficiency virus-related diarrhea in Senegal. J Infect Dis. 2004;189:75-8 pubmed..000001). Quinolones may be an effective alternative treatment for E. coli-related diarrhea in HIV-infected adults in Senegal. ..
- Schémann J, Inocencio F, de Lourdes Monteiro M, Andrade J, Auzemery A, Guelfi Y. Blindness and low vision in Cape Verde Islands: results of a national eye survey. Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2006;13:219-26 pubmed..Pathologic conditions such as diabetes are emerging as serious burden for ageing populations and account for most of the retinal vascular disease. ..
- Ndoye N, Hossini A, Ba M, Faye M, Thiam A, Tine I, et al. [Abscess of the posterior cranial fossa. Report of 4 cases]. Med Trop (Mars). 2007;67:485-9 pubmed..Because of the small size of the posterior cerebral fossa, abscess in that location requires emergency treatment. Delay can be life-threatening due to the risk of obstructive hydrocephaly and tonsillar herniation. ..
- Faye B, Ndiaye M, Ndiaye J, Annie A, Tine R, Lô A, et al. Prevalence of molecular markers of Plasmodium falciparum resistance to sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine during the intermittent preventive treatment in infants coupled with the expanded program immunization in Senegal. Parasitol Res. 2011;109:133-8 pubmed publisher..This study reveals that despite an increase in the prevalence of individual mutations, the IPT-SP coupled with the EPI has no major impact on DHFR and DHPS combined mutations. ..
- Cisse C, Lo N, Fall Gaye M, Moreau J, Mendez V. [Epidemiology, prognosis and prevention of choriocarcinoma in University Hospital of Dakar]. Dakar Med. 2004;49:143-9 pubmed..To improve the prognosis we recommend to widen preventive hysterectomy indications after molar abortion among patients with risk factors of choriocarcinoma. ..
- N diaye B, Dieng M, Perez A, Stockmeyer M, Bakshi R. Clinical efficacy and safety of oral terbinafine in fungal mycetoma. Int J Dermatol. 2006;45:154-7 pubmed..High-dose terbinafine (1,000 mg/day) is well tolerated and clinically effective in patients with eumycetoma, a difficult-to-treat subcutaneous mycoses. ..
- Sarr L, Niane M, DiÃ©mÃ© C, Diatta B, Coulibaly N, DembÃ©lÃ© B, et al. [Surgery in black grain mycetoma: about 44 patients treated at aristide le dantec hospital (Dakar, Senegal) from December 2008 to March 2013]. Bull Soc Pathol Exot. 2016;109:8-12 pubmed publisher..5 months, we noted 8 cases of recurrences among which 2 on the amputated patients and 6 on the patients treated by carcinologic excision. The surgery constitutes the main therapeutic issue of the fungal mycetomas. ..
- Ouldabdallahi Moukah M, Bâ O, Ba H, Ould Khairy M, Faye O, Bogreau H, et al. Malaria in three epidemiological strata in Mauritania. Malar J. 2016;15:204 pubmed publisher..Local changes due to anthropogenic factors (i.e., human migration, urbanization, malaria interventions) should be considered in order to optimize the control strategy. ..
- Nabeth P, Cheikh D, Lo B, Faye O, Vall I, Niang M, et al. Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever, Mauritania. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:2143-9 pubmed..Studies must be conducted to determine the potential risk for continued sporadic outbreaks of CCHF in humans and to propose prevention measures. ..
- Ndao C, Dumont A, Fievet N, Doucoure S, Gaye A, Lehesran J. Placental malarial infection as a risk factor for hypertensive disorders during pregnancy in Africa: a case-control study in an urban area of Senegal, West Africa. Am J Epidemiol. 2009;170:847-53 pubmed publisher..The exact significance of such relation should be clarified in further studies in different settings of malarial endemicity. ..
- Ndiaye M, Tine R, Faye B, Ndiaye J, Diouf I, Lo A, et al. Selection of antimalarial drug resistance after intermittent preventive treatment of infants and children (IPTi/c) in Senegal. C R Biol. 2013;336:295-300 pubmed publisher..However, continuous monitoring will be needed, due to the up-scaling of the IPTi/c strategy in Senegal according to WHO recommendations. ..
- Diokhane A, Jenkins G, Manga N, Drame M, Mbodji B. Linkages between observed, modeled Saharan dust loading and meningitis in Senegal during 2012 and 2013. Int J Biometeorol. 2016;60:557-75 pubmed publisher..The results also show that the boundary conditions are the key feature for correctly simulating large dust events and initial conditions are less important. ..
- Kacou Ndouba A, Revathi G, Mwathi P, Seck A, Diop A, Kabedi Bajani M, et al. Results from the Survey of Antibiotic Resistance (SOAR) 2011-14 in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Ivory Coast, Republic of Senegal and Kenya. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016;71 Suppl 1:i21-31 pubmed publisher..Use of EUCAST versus CLSI breakpoints showed profound differences for cefaclor and ofloxacin against S. pneumoniae, with EUCAST showing lower susceptibility. ..
- Operario D, Platts Mills J, Nadan S, Page N, Seheri M, Mphahlele J, et al. Etiology of Severe Acute Watery Diarrhea in Children in the Global Rotavirus Surveillance Network Using Quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:220-227 pubmed publisher..Norovirus GII, Cryptosporidium, Shigella, ST-ETEC, and adenovirus 40/41 were also important. Prospective surveillance can help identify priorities for further reducing the burden of diarrhea. ..
- Beketi A, Ba M, Sy M, Bah L, Ndao A, Tagny R, et al. [Cranial and cervical vertebral mycetoma. Report of three cases]. Neurochirurgie. 2005;51:471-5 pubmed..A medicosurgical procedure was performed. The course was unfavourable in one patient. Several factors are important for treating such infections: early diagnosis, improvement of the social and economic environment, use of new drugs. ..
- Faye D, Tine S, Cisse D, Lo C, Mbodj E, Diouf M, et al. [Conditions of dental extractions in areas health centers of Senegal]. Odontostomatol Trop. 2009;32:25-32 pubmed..A pleading towards the medical authorities must be done to support the services in equipments and periodic renewals of the materials and products of extractions. ..
- Camara B, Diagne Gueye N, Faye P, Fall M, Ndiaye J, Ba M, et al. [Malaria severity criteria and prognostic factors among children in Dakar]. Med Mal Infect. 2011;41:63-7 pubmed..007), respiratory distress (p = 0.04), or hypoglycemia (p = 0.001). Reducing malaria hospital mortality in Senegal may be obtained by proper management of poor prognostic factors such as coma, respiratory distress, and hypoglycemia. ..
- Ndiaye M, Diagne N, Seck L, Sow A, Sène M, Diop A, et al. [Cryptococcal meningitis in children: description of 3 cases]. Med Trop (Mars). 2011;71:176-8 pubmed..Cryptococcal meningitis that is relatively frequent in adulthood may be underestimated in children and should be tested for in any children presenting meningoencephalitis of undetermined cause. ..
- Trape J, Tall A, Sokhna C, Ly A, Diagne N, Ndiath O, et al. The rise and fall of malaria in a West African rural community, Dielmo, Senegal, from 1990 to 2012: a 22 year longitudinal study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2014;14:476-88 pubmed publisher..Pasteur Institutes of Dakar and Paris, Institut de Recherche pour le Développement, and French Ministry of Cooperation. ..
- Diongue K, Sow A, Nguer M, Seck M, Ndiaye M, Badiane A, et al. [Keratomycosis due to Fusarium oxysporum treated with the combination povidone iodine eye drops and oral fluconazole]. J Mycol Med. 2015;25:e134-7 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we noted sequels such as pannus and pillowcase. The vulgarization of efficient topical antifungal in developing countries would be necessary to optimize fungal infection treatment. ..
- Faye B, Dieng N, Seck M, Gadji M, Guèye Y, Sy D, et al. Pattern of chronic myeloid leukemia in the imatinib era in a Sub-Saharan African setting. Ann Hematol. 2016;95:1603-10 pubmed publisher..However, response rates are lower than in developed countries, and additional efforts should be made to facilitate early diagnosis and improve access to TKI, treatment compliance, and regular molecular monitoring of patients. ..
- Ashuntantang G, Osafo C, Olowu W, Arogundade F, Niang A, Porter J, et al. Outcomes in adults and children with end-stage kidney disease requiring dialysis in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. Lancet Glob Health. 2017;5:e408-e417 pubmed publisher..Further work is needed to develop equitable and sustainable strategies to manage individuals with ESKD in sub-Saharan Africa. None. ..
- Sow D, Parola P, Sylla K, Ndiaye M, Delaunay P, Halfon P, et al. Performance of Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction Assays for the Detection of 20 Gastrointestinal Parasites in Clinical Samples from Senegal. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:173-182 pubmed publisher..This assay will be useful in diagnostic laboratories and in the field for evaluating the efficacy of mass drug administration programs. ..
- Fabiansen C, Yaméogo C, Iuel Brockdorf A, Cichon B, Rytter M, Kurpad A, et al. Effectiveness of food supplements in increasing fat-free tissue accretion in children with moderate acute malnutrition: A randomised 2 × 2 × 3 factorial trial in Burkina Faso. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002387 pubmed publisher..Moreover, current LNSs with DS may be improved by shifting to SI. The role of milk relative to soy merits further research. ISRCTN registry ISRCTN42569496. ..
- Sene M, Southgate V, De Clercq D, Ly A, Vercruysse J. Implication of Bulinus truncatus in the transmission of urinary schistosomiasis in Senegal, West Africa. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 2002;96:175-80 pubmed..Bulinus truncatus naturally infected with S. haematobium have been collected from the Upper Valley of the SRB. These results indicate that B. truncatus is involved in the urinary schistosomiasis in Senegal. ..
- Rogier C, Imbert P, Tall A, Sokhna C, Spiegel A, Trape J. Epidemiological and clinical aspects of blackwater fever among African children suffering frequent malaria attacks. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2003;97:193-7 pubmed..The spread of chloroquine resistance, by increasing the use of more toxic alternative drugs, may expose endemic populations to a high incidence of severe side effects of antimalarials...
- Dieng M, Niang S, Diop B, Ndiaye B. [Actinomycetomas in Senegal: study of 90 cases]. Bull Soc Pathol Exot. 2005;98:18-20 pubmed..Bone damage was observed in 55% of cases. 83% of the patients were cured after a one-year treatment of sulfametoxazole adminstered orally. Two patients died of visceral involvement. ..
- Sarr D, Marrama L, Gaye A, Dangou J, Niang M, Mercereau Puijalon O, et al. High prevalence of placental malaria and low birth weight in Sahelian periurban area. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006;75:171-7 pubmed..Severe anemia was also associated with chronic infection. Long-lasting infections are the most deleterious to mother and infant and are most likely associated with drug resistance of parasites. ..
- Sokhna C, Cisse B, Bâ E, Milligan P, Hallett R, Sutherland C, et al. A trial of the efficacy, safety and impact on drug resistance of four drug regimens for seasonal intermittent preventive treatment for malaria in Senegalese children. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1471 pubmed publisher..Monthly treatment with SP+3AQ is a highly effective regimen for seasonal IPT. Choice of this regimen would minimise the spread of drug resistance and allow artemisinins to be reserved for the treatment of acute clinical malaria. ..
- Breurec S, Guillard B, Hem S, Brisse S, Dieye F, Huerre M, et al. Evolutionary history of Helicobacter pylori sequences reflect past human migrations in Southeast Asia. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22058 pubmed publisher..In the future, the host range expansion of hpEurope strains among Asian populations, combined with human motility, may have a significant impact on gastric cancer incidence in Asia. ..
- Duboz P, TourÃ© M, Hane F, Macia E, CoumÃ© M, BÃ¢ A, et al. [Ageing and chronic diseases in Senegal. A comparison between rural (Ferlo) and urban (Dakar) populations]. Bull Soc Pathol Exot. 2015;108:25-31 pubmed publisher..Moreover, rates of knowledge, treatment and control of hypertension are particularly low in the rural area of Senegal. In conclusion, age-associated diseases should be better managed in Senegal, particularly in rural areas. ..
- Champeny M, Pereira C, Sweet L, Khin M, Ndiaye Coly A, Sy Gueye N, et al. Point-of-sale promotion of breastmilk substitutes and commercially produced complementary foods in Cambodia, Nepal, Senegal and Tanzania. Matern Child Nutr. 2016;12 Suppl 2:126-39 pubmed publisher..Manufacturers and distributors should take responsibility for compliance with national regulations and global policies pertaining to the promotion of breastmilk substitutes. ..
- Diouf I, Fievet N, Doucoure S, Ngom M, Andrieu M, Mathieu J, et al. IL-12 producing monocytes and IFN-gamma and TNF-alpha producing T-lymphocytes are increased in placentas infected by Plasmodium falciparum. J Reprod Immunol. 2007;74:152-62 pubmed..TNF-alpha production by CD4+ and CD8+ T-cells is up-regulated in P. falciparum-infected placentas, suggesting that T-cells actively participate to inflammatory responses. ..
- Ciss A, Diarra O, Dieng P, N Diaye A, Ba P, Toure A, et al. [Mitral valve repair for rheumatic valve disease in children in Senegal: a review of 100 cases]. Med Trop (Mars). 2009;69:278-80 pubmed..4% (p = 0.99). Mitral valve repair was successful in stabilizing myocardial function and remodeling the left ventricle. Outcome is dependent on careful patient selection and evaluation of lesions. Middle-term outcome is encouraging. ..
- Fall B, Pascual A, Sarr F, Wurtz N, Richard V, Baret E, et al. Plasmodium falciparum susceptibility to anti-malarial drugs in Dakar, Senegal, in 2010: an ex vivo and drug resistance molecular markers study. Malar J. 2013;12:107 pubmed publisher..7%. The results of this study indicate that an intensive surveillance of the in vitro P. falciparum susceptibility to anti-malarial drugs must be conducted in Senegal. ..
- Ngabonziza J, Diallo A, Tagliani E, Diarra B, Kadanga A, Togo A, et al. Half of rifampicin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex isolated from tuberculosis patients in Sub-Saharan Africa have concomitant resistance to pyrazinamide. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0187211 pubmed publisher..Moreover, drug susceptibility testing (DST) for PZA is not often applied in routine testing, and the prevalence of resistance is unknown in several regions, including in most African countries...
- Sarr J, Pelleau S, Toly C, Guitard J, Konate L, Deloron P, et al. Impact of red blood cell polymorphisms on the antibody response to Plasmodium falciparum in Senegal. Microbes Infect. 2006;8:1260-8 pubmed..Similarly, G6PD A- girls had lower levels of IgG and IgG3 to MSP2/FC27 than did G6PD normal girls. The impact of these particular genetic polymorphisms on the modulation of the antibody response is discussed. ..
- Trape J, Tall A, Diagne N, Ndiath O, Ly A, Faye J, et al. Malaria morbidity and pyrethroid resistance after the introduction of insecticide-treated bednets and artemisinin-based combination therapies: a longitudinal study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2011;11:925-32 pubmed publisher..Our aim was to assess the effect of these policies on malaria morbidity, mosquito populations, and asymptomatic infections in a west African rural population...
- Pessinaba S, Mbaye A, Yabéta G, Harouna H, Sib A, Kane A, et al. [Prevalence survey of cardiovascular risk factors in the general population in St. Louis (Senegal)]. Ann Cardiol Angeiol (Paris). 2013;62:253-8 pubmed publisher..1% (SCORE). This survey found a high prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors in a general population in Senegal, predominant in women. This should lead to better develop a strategy to prevent cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Pessinaba S, Mbaye A, Yabeta G, Kane A, Ndao C, Ndiaye M, et al. Prevalence and determinants of hypertension and associated cardiovascular risk factors: data from a population-based, cross-sectional survey in Saint Louis, Senegal. Cardiovasc J Afr. 2013;24:180-3 pubmed publisher..001). We found a high prevalence of hypertension and other cardiovascular risk factors in this population. There is need of a specific programme for the management and prevention of cardiovascular disease in this population. ..
- Faye F, Spiegel A, Tall A, Sokhna C, Fontenille D, Rogier C, et al. Diagnostic criteria and risk factors for Plasmodium ovale malaria. J Infect Dis. 2002;186:690-5 pubmed..7%) were attributable to P. ovale. Although most clinical episodes occurred during early childhood, a low incidence of the disease persisted among adults. Sickle cell trait carriers had increased susceptibility to the disease. ..
- Diop Ndiaye H, Toure Kane C, Leye N, Ngom Gueye N, Montavon C, Peeters M, et al. Antiretroviral drug resistance mutations in antiretroviral-naive patients from Senegal. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2010;26:1133-8 pubmed publisher..9% for protease inhibitors at the time of scaling up. The prevalence in untreated patients remains low and stable, below 5% after 10 years of ARV circulation...
- Brasseur P, Agnamey P, Emmanuel E, Pape J, Vaillant M, Raccurt C. Cryptosporidium contamination of surface and water supplies in Haiti. Arch Environ Occup Health. 2011;66:12-7 pubmed publisher..The rate of contamination was 7/13 (54%) in water from public standpipes provided by the public company of water distribution. All surface water (4/4) collected was highly contaminated...
- Tine R, Faye B, Ndour C, Ndiaye J, Ndiaye M, Bassene C, et al. Impact of combining intermittent preventive treatment with home management of malaria in children less than 10 years in a rural area of Senegal: a cluster randomized trial. Malar J. 2011;10:358 pubmed publisher..59; 95% CI 0.42-0.82; p = 0.02). Combining IPTc and HMM can provide significant additional benefit in preventing clinical episodes of malaria as well as anaemia among children in Senegal. ..
- Tevi Benissan C, Okeibunor J, du Châtellier G, Assefa A, Biey J, Cheikh D, et al. Introduction of Inactivated Poliovirus Vaccine and Trivalent Oral Polio Vaccine/Bivalent Oral Polio Vaccine Switch in the African Region. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S66-S75 pubmed publisher..National commitment and ownership, as well as strong coordination and collaboration between UNICEF and WHO and with partners, ensured success of this major, historic public health undertaking. ..
- Bouldouyre M, Dia D, Carmoi T, Fall K, Chevalier B, Debonne J. [A mild blackwater fever]. Med Mal Infect. 2006;36:343-5 pubmed..Moderate forms may be unknown, and this observation should be taken into account to prevent mistreatment in future patients...
- Diao B, Diallo Y, Fall P, Ngom G, Fall B, Ndoye A, et al. [Prune Belly syndrome: epidemiologic, clinic and therapeutic aspects]. Prog Urol. 2008;18:470-4 pubmed publisher..The testis descending should be performed in newborn period to enhance the fertility chances. The abdominoplasty also should be done early for aesthetic reason and to improve pulmonary, defecation, and voiding functions. ..
- Ndiaye A, Boye C, Hounkponou E, Gueye F, Badiane A. Antimicrobial susceptibility of select respiratory tract pathogens in Dakar, Senegal. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2009;3:660-6 pubmed..S. pyogenes exhibited high susceptibility to all other antibiotics, except tetracycline. Our study suggests that except for M. catarrhalis, all other bacterial isolates are susceptible to cephalosporins, macrolides, and fluroquinolones. ..
- Gueye A, Speizer I, Corroon M, Okigbo C. Belief in Family Planning Myths at the Individual and Community Levels and Modern Contraceptive Use in Urban Africa. Int Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2015;41:191-9 pubmed publisher..In Nigeria, programs that encourage community-level discussions may be effective at reducing myths and increasing modern contraceptive use. ..
- Faye B, Banuls A, Bucheton B, Dione M, Bassanganam O, Hide M, et al. Canine visceral leishmaniasis caused by Leishmania infantum in Senegal: risk of emergence in humans?. Microbes Infect. 2010;12:1219-25 pubmed publisher..The results obtained show that transmission of this species is well established in this area. That the high incidence of seropositivity in humans may be a consequence of infection with this species is discussed. ..
- Cisse F, Morel Y, Bangoura M, Jedou A, Basse A, Ndiaye M, et al. [Myelopathy due to Schistosoma mansoni]. Rev Med Interne. 2012;33:580-2 pubmed publisher..Neurological complications of schistosomiasis remain exceptional even in hyperendemic area...
- Ndiaye Y, Ndiaye J, Cisse B, Blanas D, Bassene J, Manga I, et al. Community case management in malaria: review and perspectives after four years of operational experience in Saraya district, south-east Senegal. Malar J. 2013;12:240 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the potential for CCMm programmes to substantially increase access to life-saving malarial diagnostics and treatment, but also highlights important challenges in ensuring quality. ..
- Diawara S, BÃ©lec L, Dem A, Mbaye S, Diop Ndiaye H, Matta M, et al. Low prevalences of HIV infection and HSV genital shedding in the general adult female population in Senegal. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2015;9:1272-6 pubmed publisher..7%) women, representing 33% of herpes-shedding women, and HSV-2 in four (1.5%) women. Taken together, our observations indicate a low prevalence of HSV DNA genital shedding in adult Senegalese women. ..
- Niang S, Kane A, Diallo M, Choutah F, Dieng M, Ndiaye B. Dermatosis papulosa nigra in Dakar, Senegal. Int J Dermatol. 2007;46 Suppl 1:45-7 pubmed..Artificial depigmentation may cause delayed healing and dyschromic scars, as may the application of carbon dioxide snow. ..
- Diaw M, Diop M, Mbengue A, Sar F, Hounkpevi C, Ouedraogo V, et al. [Evaluation of erythrocyte deformability in subjects with sickle cell trait during a soccer game: effect of hydration ad libitum]. Bull Soc Pathol Exot. 2013;106:95-9 pubmed publisher..And adequate hydration is recommended in subjects with sickle cell trait during and after exercise. ..
- Menning L, Garg G, Pokharel D, Thrush E, Farrell M, Kodio F, et al. Communications, Immunization, and Polio Vaccines: Lessons From a Global Perspective on Generating Political Will, Informing Decision-Making and Planning, and Engaging Local Support. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S24-S32 pubmed publisher..Lessons from the achievements by countries and partners will likely be drawn upon when all OPVs are completely withdrawn after polio eradication, but also may offer a useful model for other global health initiatives. ..
- ClarÃ³s P, Ahmed H, ClarÃ³s A. Post-traumatic Pott's puffy tumour: A case report. Eur Ann Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Dis. 2016;133:119-21 pubmed publisher..The diagnosis was suggested clinically and confirmed radiologically. Treatment was surgical with craniotomy and external drainage. ..
- Namaste S, Rohner F, Huang J, Bhushan N, Flores Ayala R, Kupka R, et al. Adjusting ferritin concentrations for inflammation: Biomarkers Reflecting Inflammation and Nutritional Determinants of Anemia (BRINDA) project. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;106:359S-371S pubmed publisher..More research is warranted to validate the proposed approaches, but this study contributes to the evidence base to guide decisions about how and when to adjust ferritin for inflammation. ..
- Tall A, Ba M, Beketi A, Sy A, Loum B, Thiam A, et al. [Subdural empyema complicating acute frontal sinusitis. Four cases report]. Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord). 2005;126:121-6 pubmed..Both drainage of the sinus and intracranial suppuration was performed at the same time surgical procedure and antibiotics administered during 4 weeks...
- Mahé A, Ly F, Perret J. Systemic complications of the cosmetic use of skin-bleaching products. Int J Dermatol. 2005;44 Suppl 1:37-8 pubmed
- Diadhiou M, Dieng T, Ortiz C, Mall I, Dione D, Sloan N. Introduction of misoprostol for prevention of postpartum hemorrhage at the community level in Senegal. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2011;115:251-5 pubmed publisher..Community delivery supervised by a skilled attendant limits access to, and need not be a requirement for, PPH prevention. ..
- Ba Fall K, Mbaye M, Niang A, Faye M, Fall K, Fall B, et al. [Nocardiosis: 4 cases in Senegal]. Med Trop (Mars). 2011;71:613-4 pubmed..Nocardia bacteria should be identified before starting antibiotic treatment. Patients require long-term antibiotic treatment with third generation cephalosporins or sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim...
- Obermeyer C, Neuman M, Hardon A, Desclaux A, Wanyenze R, Ky Zerbo O, et al. Socio-economic determinants of HIV testing and counselling: a comparative study in four African countries. Trop Med Int Health. 2013;18:1110-1118 pubmed publisher..Expanding testing through PMTCT reduces socio-economic obstacles, especially for women. Continued efforts are needed to encourage testing and counselling among men and the less affluent. ..
- Feeley A, Ndeye Coly A, Sy Gueye N, Diop E, Pries A, Champeny M, et al. Promotion and consumption of commercially produced foods among children: situation analysis in an urban setting in Senegal. Matern Child Nutr. 2016;12 Suppl 2:64-76 pubmed publisher..Efforts are needed to determine how best to reduce such promotion and encourage replacement of these products with more nutritious foods. ..
- Grellety E, Babakazo P, Bangana A, Mwamba G, Lezama I, Zagré N, et al. Effects of unconditional cash transfers on the outcome of treatment for severe acute malnutrition (SAM): a cluster-randomised trial in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. BMC Med. 2017;15:87 pubmed publisher..Household developmental support is critical in food insecure areas to maximise the efficiency of SAM treatment programs. ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT02460848 . Registered on 27 May 2015. ..
- Fall I, Sanou A, Ngom G, Dieng M, Sankale A, Ndoye M. Strangulated umbilical hernias in children. Pediatr Surg Int. 2006;22:233-5 pubmed..There was no mortality. This study conducts us to question western reports which recommend conservative therapy for umbilical hernia in children. ..
- Dia N, Niang M, Diadhiou S, Goudiaby D, Faye A, Kiori D, et al. Spread of Influenza A(H1N1) oseltamivir-resistant viruses in Africa in 2008 confirmed by multiple introductions in Senegal. BMC Infect Dis. 2013;13:106 pubmed publisher..Phylogenetic analyses of isolates with complete sequences of N1 and HA1 genes showed that they belong to clade 2B and suggest sequential introductions in Africa. ..