Experts and Doctors on animals in Dakar, Senegal
Locale: Dakar, Senegal
- Yamar B, Diallo D, Kebe C, Dia I, Diallo M. Aspects of bioecology of two Rift Valley Fever Virus vectors in Senegal (West Africa): Aedes vexans and Culex poicilipes (Diptera: Culicidae). J Med Entomol. 2005;42:739-50 pubmed..In contrast, rainfall had no discernible effect on the fluctuation of Cx. poicilipes numbers. The involvement of these two species in the transmission of RVFV is discussed with respect to their longevity and daily survival rate. ..
- Ndiaye E, Fall G, Gaye A, Bob N, Talla C, Diagne C, et al. Vector competence of Aedes vexans (Meigen), Culex poicilipes (Theobald) and Cx. quinquefasciatus Say from Senegal for West and East African lineages of Rift Valley fever virus. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:94 pubmed publisher..Our findings revealed that all the species tested were competent for RVFV with a significant more important role of Ae. vexans compared to Culex species and a highest potential of the East African lineage to be transmitted. ..
- Fall D, Sambou B, Seck M, Wele A, Ndoye I, Gleye C, et al. [Enhancing the anthelminthic activity roots of Annona sengalensis]. Dakar Med. 2008;53:61-7 pubmed..The presence of this molecule could explain the anthelminthic activity of this plant. ..
- Kamga Waladjo A, Gbati O, Kone P, Lapo R, Chatagnon G, Bakou S, et al. Seroprevalence of Neospora caninum antibodies and its consequences for reproductive parameters in dairy cows from Dakar-Senegal, West Africa. Trop Anim Health Prod. 2010;42:953-9 pubmed publisher..05). The results indicate that dairy cattle from Dakar are exposed to N. caninum. Neosporosis should, therefore, be systematically considered as a cause when the calving to conception interval is prolonged. ..
- Schemann J, Guinot C, Traore L, Zefack G, Dembele M, Diallo I, et al. Longitudinal evaluation of three azithromycin distribution strategies for treatment of trachoma in a sub-Saharan African country, Mali. Acta Trop. 2007;101:40-53 pubmed..Strategy II could therefore reduce the prevalence and intensity of trachoma infection at a lower cost than mass community-based treatment of all residents (strategy I). ..
- Sarr J, Pelleau S, Toly C, Guitard J, Konate L, Deloron P, et al. Impact of red blood cell polymorphisms on the antibody response to Plasmodium falciparum in Senegal. Microbes Infect. 2006;8:1260-8 pubmed..Similarly, G6PD A- girls had lower levels of IgG and IgG3 to MSP2/FC27 than did G6PD normal girls. The impact of these particular genetic polymorphisms on the modulation of the antibody response is discussed. ..
- Ndiaye P, Diagne P, Sène A, Bakhoum A, Miquel J. Ultrastructure of the spermatozoon of the digenean Lecithocladium excisum (Rudolphi, 1819) (Hemiuroidea: Hemiuridae), a parasite of marine teleosts in Senegal. Folia Parasitol (Praha). 2012;59:173-8 pubmed
- Dione A, Quilichini Y, BÃ¢ C, Diagne P, Ndiaye P, Marchand B. Ultrastructural study of the spermatozoon of Hemiurus appendiculatus (Digenea, Hemiuroidea, Hemiuridae), a parasite of Boops boops (Pisces, Teleostei, Sparidae) off Senegal. Tissue Cell. 2016;48:96-103 pubmed publisher..This study also allowed us to reveal for the first time the existence in the Hemiuroidea of an axoneme that begins to disrupt before reaching the front end of the mitochondrion. ..
- Fall C, Seck A, Richard V, Ndour M, Sembène M, Laurent F, et al. Epidemiology of Staphylococcus aureus in pigs and farmers in the largest farm in Dakar, Senegal. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2012;9:962-5 pubmed publisher..This finding is of major concern with regard to the potential virulence of these strains. ..
- Diop M, Howsam M, Diop C, Goossens J, Diouf A, Amara R. Assessment of trace element contamination and bioaccumulation in algae (Ulva lactuca), mussels (Perna perna), shrimp (Penaeus kerathurus), and fish (Mugil cephalus, Saratherondon melanotheron) along the Senegalese coast. Mar Pollut Bull. 2016;103:339-343 pubmed publisher..For shrimp and mussel, the concentrations of Pb and Cd were below the EU's maximum level for human consumption, however high concentrations of arsenic in shrimp were recorded at all sites. ..
- Chippaux J, Rage Andrieux V, Le Mener Delore V, Charrondiere M, Sagot P, Lang J. [Epidemiology of snake envenomations in northern Cameroon]. Bull Soc Pathol Exot. 2002;95:184-7 pubmed..In the cotton zone, more than 40% of the envenomations took place during the 3 months of the field preparation and cotton sowing. Elsewhere, the snakebites were spread out over time with a clear increase during the rain season. ..
- Ouldabdallahi Moukah M, Bâ O, Ba H, Ould Khairy M, Faye O, Bogreau H, et al. Malaria in three epidemiological strata in Mauritania. Malar J. 2016;15:204 pubmed publisher..Local changes due to anthropogenic factors (i.e., human migration, urbanization, malaria interventions) should be considered in order to optimize the control strategy. ..
- Tine R, Faye B, Ndour C, Ndiaye J, Ndiaye M, Bassene C, et al. Impact of combining intermittent preventive treatment with home management of malaria in children less than 10 years in a rural area of Senegal: a cluster randomized trial. Malar J. 2011;10:358 pubmed publisher..59; 95% CI 0.42-0.82; p = 0.02). Combining IPTc and HMM can provide significant additional benefit in preventing clinical episodes of malaria as well as anaemia among children in Senegal. ..
- Diallo D, Diagne C, Hanley K, Sall A, Buenemann M, Ba Y, et al. Larval ecology of mosquitoes in sylvatic arbovirus foci in southeastern Senegal. Parasit Vectors. 2012;5:286 pubmed publisher..Finally, a high proportion of the potential non-anthropophilic vectors were represented in the larval mosquito fauna, suggesting the existence of unidentified sylvatic arbovirus cycles in southeastern Senegal. ..
- Ndiaye D, Ndiaye A, Sène P, Ndiaye J, Faye B, Ndir O. [Evaluation of serological tests of toxoplasmosis in pregnant women realized at the Laboratory of Parasitology and Mycology of Le Dantec Teaching Hospital in 2002]. Dakar Med. 2007;52:58-61 pubmed..This study shows a rather significant of serological toxoplasmosis discovered fortuitously among pregnant women at the time of their assessment of pregnancy. ..
- Sokhna C, Ndiath M, Rogier C. The changes in mosquito vector behaviour and the emerging resistance to insecticides will challenge the decline of malaria. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013;19:902-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, by using nets to protect ourselves, are we providing Anopheles with the entire arsenal needed to hit much harder? ..
- Ndiaye M, Tine R, Faye B, Ndiaye J, Diouf I, Lo A, et al. Selection of antimalarial drug resistance after intermittent preventive treatment of infants and children (IPTi/c) in Senegal. C R Biol. 2013;336:295-300 pubmed publisher..However, continuous monitoring will be needed, due to the up-scaling of the IPTi/c strategy in Senegal according to WHO recommendations. ..
- Poinsignon A, Remoue F, Rossignol M, Cornelie S, Courtin D, Grebaut P, et al. Human IgG antibody response to Glossina saliva: an epidemiologic marker of exposure to Glossina bites. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008;78:750-3 pubmed..These results suggest that the evaluation of anti-saliva IgG could be an indicator of Glossina exposure and thus could be integrated in other available tools to identify populations presenting risks of HAT transmission. ..
- Senghor M, Faye M, Faye B, Diarra K, Elguero E, Gaye O, et al. Ecology of phlebotomine sand flies in the rural community of Mont Rolland (Thiès region, Senegal): area of transmission of canine leishmaniasis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e14773 pubmed publisher..These results challenge the dogma that leishmaniasis is exclusively transmitted by species of the genus Phlebotomus in the Old World. This hypothesis should be more thoroughly evaluated. ..
- Niang E, Konate L, Diallo M, Faye O, Dia I. Patterns of insecticide resistance and knock down resistance (kdr) in malaria vectors An. arabiensis, An. coluzzii and An. gambiae from sympatric areas in Senegal. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:71 pubmed publisher..The susceptibility to carbamate and organophosphate could be exploited as alternative for insecticide resistance management. ..
- Sy O, KonatÃ© L, Ndiaye A, Dia I, Diallo A, TaÃ¯rou F, et al. [Identification of anopheles breeding sites in the residual foci of low malaria transmission Â«hotspotsÂ» in Central and Western Senegal]. Bull Soc Pathol Exot. 2016;109:31-8 pubmed publisher..This study showed that the high frequency of smallest and productive breeding sites around and inside the villages can create conditions of residual transmission. ..
- Diatta A, Marrama L, Tall A, Trape J, Dieye A, Garraud O, et al. Relationship of binding of immunoglobulin G to Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes with parasite endemicity and antibody responses to conserved antigen in immune individuals. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2004;11:6-11 pubmed..Measures of IgG binding to live IRBC are thus relevant for the functional screening of conserved IRBC-associated Ags that contribute to parasite destruction in vivo, as these Ags might be included in a multitarget vaccine. ..
- Perraut R, Morales Betoulle S, Le Scanf C, Bourreau E, Guillotte M, Bonnefoy S, et al. Evaluation of immunogenicity and protective efficacy of carrier-free Plasmodium falciparum R23 antigen in pre-exposed saimiri sciureus monkeys. Vaccine. 2000;19:59-67 pubmed..Unlike the other three animals that experienced an infection requiring drug treatment. These experiments support further development of the R23 repeats as a vaccine candidate. ..
- Adamou R, Coly A, Douabalé S, Saleck M, Gaye Seye M, Tine A. Fluorimetric determination of histamine in fish using micellar media and fluorescamine as labelling reagent. J Fluoresc. 2005;15:679-88 pubmed..5 and 33 ng mL-1, according to the solvent. Application to the analysis of fish samples (sardines) yielded satisfactory results. The method seems to be suitable for environmental fish quality control. ..
- Ndiaye P, Quilichini Y, Tkach V, Greiman S, Bâ C, Marchand B. Ultrastructure of the spermatozoon of the digenean Plagiorchis elegans (Rudolphi, 1802) (Plagiorchioidea, Plagiorchiidae). J Morphol. 2013;274:965-72 pubmed publisher..reductum. Thus, this study further expands our knowledge on the spermatozoon ultrastructure among the members of the Plagiorchioidea, one of the most phylogenetically derived groups of the digenea. ..
- Faye B, Ndiaye J, Tine R, Lo A, Gaye O. [Interaction between malaria and intestinal helminthiasis in Senegal: influence of the carriage of intestinal parasites on the intensity of the malaria infection]. Bull Soc Pathol Exot. 2008;101:391-4 pubmed..Other intestinal parasites did not seem to have negative influence on the intensity of Plasmodium falciparum infection. ..
- Poinsignon A, Cornelie S, Mestres Simon M, Lanfrancotti A, Rossignol M, Boulanger D, et al. Novel peptide marker corresponding to salivary protein gSG6 potentially identifies exposure to Anopheles bites. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2472 pubmed publisher..This marker could be employed as a geographic indicator, like remote sensing techniques, for mapping the risk of malaria. It could also represent a direct criterion of efficacy in evaluation of vector control strategies. ..
- Ernould J, Ba K, Sellin B. The impact of the local water-development programme on the abundance of the intermediate hosts of schistosomiasis in three villages of the Senegal River delta. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 1999;93:135-45 pubmed..The changing distributions of these two snail species appear to be linked to changes in local ecology, themselves the result of the recent programme of water-development in the delta. ..
- Ba M, Thiam A, Ndoye N, Wahab I, Thioub M, Sakho Y, et al. [Schistosoma haematobium, a rare aetiology of spinal cord compression]. Neurochirurgie. 2012;58:272-4 pubmed publisher..MRI shows tumor like intra dural lesion. Schistosomal granuloma was found after lesion removal by posterior approach. Treatment was completed by praziquantel. Controversies of the treatment are presented. ..
- Huber K, Ba Y, Dia I, Mathiot C, Sall A, Diallo M. Aedes aegypti in Senegal: genetic diversity and genetic structure of domestic and sylvatic populations. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008;79:218-29 pubmed..These findings suggest that environmental conditions, ecological factors, and human activities may impact the genetic structure of Ae. aegypti populations in Senegal. ..
- Perraut R, Diatta B, Marrama L, Garraud O, Jambou R, Longacre S, et al. Differential antibody responses to Plasmodium falciparum glycosylphosphatidylinositol anchors in patients with cerebral and mild malaria. Microbes Infect. 2005;7:682-7 pubmed..These results are consistent with a potential anti-toxin role for anti-GPI antibodies associated with protection against cerebral malaria. ..
- Talla C, Diallo D, Dia I, Ba Y, Ndione J, Morse A, et al. Modelling hotspots of the two dominant Rift Valley fever vectors (Aedes vexans and Culex poicilipes) in BarkÃ©dji, SÃ©nÃ©gal. Parasit Vectors. 2016;9:111 pubmed publisher..However, for the two vectors, proximity to ponds would increase the risk of being in an hotspot area. These results may be useful in the improvement of RVF monitoring and vector control management in the Barkedji area. ..
- Iuel Brockdorf A, Draebel T, Ritz C, Fabiansen C, Cichon B, Brix Christensen V, et al. Evaluation of the acceptability of improved supplementary foods for the treatment of moderate acute malnutrition in Burkina Faso using a mixed method approach. Appetite. 2016;99:34-45 pubmed publisher..Future supplementary feeding programs in similar contexts could furthermore consider introducing supplementary foods as a medical treatment, as this may increase adherence and decrease sharing. ..
- Diouf I, Fievet N, Doucoure S, Ngom M, Andrieu M, Mathieu J, et al. IL-12 producing monocytes and IFN-gamma and TNF-alpha producing T-lymphocytes are increased in placentas infected by Plasmodium falciparum. J Reprod Immunol. 2007;74:152-62 pubmed..TNF-alpha production by CD4+ and CD8+ T-cells is up-regulated in P. falciparum-infected placentas, suggesting that T-cells actively participate to inflammatory responses. ..
- Seck M, Marchand B, Bâ C. Ultrastructure of spermiogenesis and the spermatozoon of Paramphistomum microbothrium (Fischoeder 1901; Digenea, Paramphistomidae), a parasite of Bos taurus in Senegal. Parasitol Res. 2007;101:259-68 pubmed..The region II of the spermatozoon is asymmetrical and also characterized by the absence of mitochondrion. The posterior end of this spermatozoon exhibits a nucleus and a few microtubules. ..
- Faye B, Banuls A, Bucheton B, Dione M, Bassanganam O, Hide M, et al. Canine visceral leishmaniasis caused by Leishmania infantum in Senegal: risk of emergence in humans?. Microbes Infect. 2010;12:1219-25 pubmed publisher..The results obtained show that transmission of this species is well established in this area. That the high incidence of seropositivity in humans may be a consequence of infection with this species is discussed. ..
- Tine R, Ndiaye M, Hansson H, Ndour C, Faye B, Alifrangis M, et al. The association between malaria parasitaemia, erythrocyte polymorphisms, malnutrition and anaemia in children less than 10 years in Senegal: a case control study. BMC Res Notes. 2012;5:565 pubmed publisher..Anaemia control in this area could be achieved by developing integrated interventions targeting both malaria and malnutrition. ..
- Diallo D, Chen R, Diagne C, Ba Y, Dia I, Sall A, et al. Bloodfeeding patterns of sylvatic arbovirus vectors in southeastern Senegal. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2013;107:200-3 pubmed publisher..These findings corroborate the importance of Ae. taylori and African monkeys in the sylvatic cycles of YFV, DENV and CHIKV and suggest the possible involvement of other vertebrates. ..
- Diouf M, Diagne C, Quilichini Y, Dobigny G, Garba M, Marchand B. Pterygodermatites (Mesopectines) niameyensis n. sp. (Nematoda: Rictulariidae), a parasite of Mastomys natalensis (Smith, 1834) (Rodentia: Muridae) from Niger. J Parasitol. 2013;99:1034-9 pubmed publisher..Scanning electron microscopy shows the presence of 2 pairs of lateral sensory structures for male worms...
- Mbow M, Larkin B, Meurs L, Wammes L, de Jong S, Labuda L, et al. T-helper 17 cells are associated with pathology in human schistosomiasis. J Infect Dis. 2013;207:186-95 pubmed publisher..This difference was also reflected in the peripheral blood. This is the first study to indicate that Th17 cells may be involved in the pathogenesis of human schistosomiasis. ..
- Cisse F, Morel Y, Bangoura M, Jedou A, Basse A, Ndiaye M, et al. [Myelopathy due to Schistosoma mansoni]. Rev Med Interne. 2012;33:580-2 pubmed publisher..Neurological complications of schistosomiasis remain exceptional even in hyperendemic area...
- Ba Y, Sall A, Diallo D, Mondo M, Girault L, Dia I, et al. Re-emergence of Rift Valley fever virus in Barkedji (Senegal, West Africa) in 2002-2003: identification of new vectors and epidemiological implications. J Am Mosq Control Assoc. 2012;28:170-8 pubmed..A significant decrease in MIR was observed from 2002 to 2003 (chi2 6.28; df = 1, P = 0.01) for Cx. poicilipes, the only species involved in the transmission during the 2 sampling years. ..
- Dieye Y, Storey H, Barrett K, Gerth Guyette E, Di Giorgio L, Golden A, et al. Feasibility of utilizing the SD BIOLINE Onchocerciasis IgG4 rapid test in onchocerciasis surveillance in Senegal. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005884 pubmed publisher..This study provides evidence of the feasibility of implementing the Ov16 rapid test in Senegal and may be informative to other country programs transitioning to Ov16 serologic tools...
- Hiffler L, Adamolekun B, Fischer P, Fattal Vavleski A. Thiamine content of F-75 therapeutic milk for complicated severe acute malnutrition: time for a change?. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2017;1404:20-26 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss the need and rationale for a substantial increase in the thiamine content of F-75. ..
- Diop M, Sarr J, Libeau G. Evaluation of novel diagnostic tools for peste des petits ruminants virus in naturally infected goat herds. Epidemiol Infect. 2005;133:711-7 pubmed..Antibodies were shown to impair the RP heterologous vaccination. This evaluation offers new prospects for diagnosis and management of PPRV infection as well as for RPV control...
- Sy G, Cisse A, Nongonierma R, Sarr M, Mbodj N, Faye B. Hypoglycaemic and antidiabetic activity of acetonic extract of Vernonia colorata leaves in normoglycaemic and alloxan-induced diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005;98:171-5 pubmed
- Diallo D, Ba Y, Dia I, Lassana K, Diallo M. [Use of insecticide-treated cattle to control Rift Valley fever and West Nile virus vectors in Senegal]. Bull Soc Pathol Exot. 2008;101:410-7 pubmed..However there is a need to develop new formulations or new strategies of application that could improve the duration of the effectiveness of the treatment. ..
- Sy G, Sarr A, Dieye A, Faye B. Myorelaxant and antispasmodic effects of the aqueous extract of Mitragyna inermis barks on Wistar rat ileum. Fitoterapia. 2004;75:447-50 pubmed..75 mg/ml (n=5). These results show that AEMIB possesses both myorelaxant and antispasmodic actions in the ileum. This may justify the pharmacological basis for the popular use of Mitragyna for the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders...
- Diamanka A, Neifar L, Pariselle A, Euzet L. Lamellodiscus (Monogenea: Diplectanidae) parasites of Dentex macrophthalmus (Teleostei: Sparidae) from the North Atlantic coast of Africa, with a redescription of L. dentexi Aljoshkina, 1984, and description of three new species. Folia Parasitol (Praha). 2011;58:17-26 pubmed..dentexi, L. virgula Euzet et Oliver, 1967 and L. obeliae Oliver, 1973 to form the "elongatus" type within the "elegans" group...
- Fall S, Nazaret S, Chotte J, Brauman A. Bacterial density and community structure associated with aggregate size fractions of soil-feeding termite mounds. Microb Ecol. 2004;48:191-9 pubmed..The causes of the specificity of the microbial community structure of termite mound aggregate size fractions are discussed. ..
- Diouf M, Durette Desset M. Two new species of Nippostrongylinae (Nematoda, Trichostrongylina) parasites of Cricetomys gambianus and Arvicanthis niloticus (Muridae) from Senegal. Parassitologia. 2002;44:97-101 pubmed..dielmensis Diouf, Bâ and Durette-Desset, 1997, also a parasite of Arvicanthis niloticus from Senegal by rays 8 arising asymmetrically on the dorsal ray and by the deirids situated at the same level as the excretory pore...
- Diatta W, Fall A, Dieye A, Faty S, Bassene E, Faye B. [Experimental evidence of against cough activity of total alkaloids from Guiera senegalensis Lam. in guinea pig;]. Dakar Med. 2007;52:130-4 pubmed..Thus, we undertook this work with the aim to evaluate the effect of total alkaloids from plant's leaves in cough induced in guinea pig by ammoniac inhalation...
- Trape J, Tall A, Sokhna C, Ly A, Diagne N, Ndiath O, et al. The rise and fall of malaria in a West African rural community, Dielmo, Senegal, from 1990 to 2012: a 22 year longitudinal study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2014;14:476-88 pubmed publisher..Pasteur Institutes of Dakar and Paris, Institut de Recherche pour le Développement, and French Ministry of Cooperation. ..
- Joice R, Narasimhan V, Montgomery J, Sidhu A, Oh K, Meyer E, et al. Inferring developmental stage composition from gene expression in human malaria. PLoS Comput Biol. 2013;9:e1003392 pubmed publisher..We believe this approach will be a valuable resource for staging lab and field samples alike and will have wide applicability in epidemiological studies of malaria transmission. ..
- Trape J, Diatta G, Arnathau C, Bitam I, Sarih M, Belghyti D, et al. The epidemiology and geographic distribution of relapsing fever borreliosis in West and North Africa, with a review of the Ornithodoros erraticus complex (Acari: Ixodida). PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e78473 pubmed publisher..erraticus and O. moubata acting as vectors for Borrelia crocidurae, B. hispanica and B. duttonii, respectively. Our aim was to investigate the epidemiology of the disease in West, North and Central Africa...
- Diouf M, Duplantier J, Duretre Desset M. Description of two new species of Nippostrongylinae (Nematoda, Trichostrongyuna, Heligmosomoidea) coparasites in Arvicanthis ansorgei (Muridae) from Cameroon. Parasite. 2005;12:331-7 pubmed..It is the first report of Nippostrongylinae species in Cameroon and the first record of a species of the genus Heligmonina in an Arvicanthis...
- Mondet B, Diaité A, Ndione J, Fall A, Chevalier V, Lancelot R, et al. Rainfall patterns and population dynamics of Aedes (Aedimorphus) vexans arabiensis, Patton 1905 (Diptera: Culicidae), a potential vector of Rift Valley Fever virus in Senegal. J Vector Ecol. 2005;30:102-6 pubmed..This dynamic maximizes the virus' chance to persist from one year to another, thus facilitating endemisation of Rift Valley Fever in areas where Aedes vexans arabiensis exists...
- Faye B, Bucheton B, Bañuls A, Senghor M, Niang A, Diedhiou S, et al. Seroprevalence of Leishmania infantum in a rural area of Senegal: analysis of risk factors involved in transmission to humans. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2011;105:333-40 pubmed publisher..These results may provide important information to identify the still unknown sandfly species involved in transmission...
- Djiba M, Mediannikov O, Mbengue M, Thiongane Y, Molez J, Seck M, et al. Survey of Anaplasmataceae bacteria in sheep from Senegal. Trop Anim Health Prod. 2013;45:1557-61 pubmed publisher..The authors studied the role of bacteria belonging to Anaplasmataceae family as the causes of acute illnesses of sheep in West Africa...
- Garin B, Gouali M, Wouafo M, Perchec A, Pham M, Ravaonindrina N, et al. Prevalence, quantification and antimicrobial resistance of Campylobacter spp. on chicken neck-skins at points of slaughter in 5 major cities located on 4 continents. Int J Food Microbiol. 2012;157:102-7 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed in particular to investigate food-handling practices in domestic kitchens...
- Diagne M, Vuong P, Duplantier J, Ba K, Thirion Lochouarn L, Attout T, et al. Histological study of Trichosomoides nasalis (Nematoda: Trichinelloidea) in the nasal cavities of the murid Arvicanthis niloticus, with associated pathology. Parasite. 2004;11:351-8 pubmed..which live in this part of the mucosa. In rodents, the lesions resulted in rhinosinusitis characterised by a lymphocytic infiltration leading to nasal obstruction...
- Ndiaye M, Dieye A, Mariko F, Tall A, Sall Diallo A, Faye B. [Contribution to the study of the anti-inflammatory activity of Moringa oleifera (moringaceae)]. Dakar Med. 2002;47:210-2 pubmed..Moreover, these results provide further evidence that the roots of Moringa oleifera contain anti-inflammatory principle that may be useful in the treatment of the acute inflammatory conditions...
- Faye O, Fontenille D, Thonnon J, Gonzalez J, Cornet J, Camicas J. [Experimental transmission of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus by Rhipicephalus evertsi evertsi (Acarina:Ixodidae)]. Bull Soc Pathol Exot. 1999;92:143-7 pubmed..Rh. e. evertsi appears to have a limited efficacy in transmitting and replicating the CCHF virus but must be not neglected as a potential vector during an epizootic manifestation. ..
- Trape J, Tall A, Diagne N, Ndiath O, Ly A, Faye J, et al. Malaria morbidity and pyrethroid resistance after the introduction of insecticide-treated bednets and artemisinin-based combination therapies: a longitudinal study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2011;11:925-32 pubmed publisher..Our aim was to assess the effect of these policies on malaria morbidity, mosquito populations, and asymptomatic infections in a west African rural population...
- Nana Djeunga H, Tchouakui M, Njitchouang G, Tchatchueng Mbougua J, Nwane P, Domche A, et al. First evidence of lymphatic filariasis transmission interruption in Cameroon: Progress towards elimination. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005633 pubmed publisher..Post-MDA surveillance activities should be organized to evaluate whether recrudescence can occur. ..
- Vial L, Diatta G, Tall A, Bâ E, Bouganali H, Durand P, et al. Incidence of tick-borne relapsing fever in west Africa: longitudinal study. Lancet. 2006;368:37-43 pubmed..Our aim was to ascertain the incidence of TBRF in west Africa...
- Koffi D, Varela M, Loucoubar C, Beourou S, Vigan Womas I, Touré A, et al. Longitudinal analysis of antibody responses in symptomatic malaria cases do not mirror parasite transmission in peri-urban area of Cote d'Ivoire between 2010 and 2013. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0172899 pubmed publisher..However, when immunity is substantially boosted despite observable clinical decline, a larger cohort including asymptomatic recruitment is needed to monitor the impact of control measures on level of immunity. ..
- Meurs L, Mbow M, Boon N, Van den Broeck F, Vereecken K, Dieye T, et al. Micro-geographical heterogeneity in Schistosoma mansoni and S. haematobium infection and morbidity in a co-endemic community in northern Senegal. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013;7:e2608 pubmed publisher..Such knowledge could give important insights into the drivers of infection and disease and as such better tailor schistosomiasis control and elimination efforts...
- Bâ C, Bâ A, Marchand B. Ultrastructure of the spermatozoon of Bothriocephalus claviceps (Cestoda, Pseudophyllidea): a parasite of Anguilla anguilla (Fish, Teleostei). Parasitol Res. 2007;101:77-83 pubmed..The presence of an apical cone of the electron dense material has never, to our knowledge, been reported in the Pseudophyllidea. In addition, we show for the first time the existence of a crested body in the Bothriocephalidae...
- Seck M, Marchand B, Bâ C. Ultrastructure of spermiogenesis and the spermatozoon of Paramphistomum microbothrium [Fischoeder 1901] (Digenea: Paramphistomidae), a parasite of Bos taurus in Senegal. Parasitol Res. 2007;101:653-62 pubmed..The region II of the spermatozoon is asymmetrical and also characterized by the absence of mitochondrion. The posterior end of this spermatozoon exhibits a nucleus and a few microtubules...
- Ndiaye J, Randrianarivelojosia M, Sagara I, Brasseur P, Ndiaye I, Faye B, et al. Randomized, multicentre assessment of the efficacy and safety of ASAQ--a fixed-dose artesunate-amodiaquine combination therapy in the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria. Malar J. 2009;8:125 pubmed publisher..The protocol was registered with the www.clinicaltrials.gov open clinical trial registry under the identifier number NCT00316329. ..
- Jambou R, Martinelli A, Pinto J, Gribaldo S, Legrand E, Niang M, et al. Geographic structuring of the Plasmodium falciparum sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum Ca2+ ATPase (PfSERCA) gene diversity. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9424 pubmed publisher..One possible contributor could be the frequency of haemoglobinopathies that are associated with calcium dysregulation in the erythrocyte. ..
- Nikolay B, Diallo M, Faye O, Boye C, Sall A. Vector competence of Culex neavei (Diptera: Culicidae) for Usutu virus. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2012;86:993-6 pubmed publisher..Given the bionomics of Cx. neavei, its role as enzootic vector for USUV in Africa in a mosquito-bird transmission cycle or as bridge vector for USUV transmission to humans is discussed...
- Roucher C, Mediannikov O, Diatta G, Trape J, Raoult D. A new Rickettsia species found in fleas collected from human dwellings and from domestic cats and dogs in Senegal. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2012;12:360-5 pubmed publisher..felis. The results from this study did not explain the high incidence of R. felis infections in these Senegalese populations...
- Fall S, Hamelin J, Ndiaye F, Assigbetse K, Aragno M, Chotte J, et al. Differences between bacterial communities in the gut of a soil-feeding termite (Cubitermes niokoloensis) and its mounds. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:5199-208 pubmed..Our findings confirmed that the soil-feeding termite mound (C. niokoloensis) represents a specific bacterial habitat in the tropics. ..
- Ndiaye M, Diatta W, Sy A, Dieye A, Faye B, Bassene E. Antidiabetic properties of aqueous barks extract of Parinari excelsa in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Fitoterapia. 2008;79:267-70 pubmed publisher..excelsa barks (100 and 300 mg/kg) induced a significant decrease of blood glucose on glucose-loaded normoglycaemic rats. Our results seem to confirm the rational bases for its use in traditional medicine...
- Diouf M, Seck C, Bâ C, Quilichini Y, Marchand B. A new species of Spirura Blanchard, 1849 (Nematoda: Spiruridae) parasite of Heliosciurus gambianus and Xerus erythropus (Rodentia: Sciuridae) in Senegal. J Parasitol. 2013;99:1040-4 pubmed publisher..The new species further differs from other species of the genus in having 21 caudal papillae, in the ratio of spicules:body length, and in its morpho-anatomical characters...
- Drame P, Poinsignon A, Besnard P, Le Mire J, Dos Santos M, Sow C, et al. Human antibody response to Anopheles gambiae saliva: an immuno-epidemiological biomarker to evaluate the efficacy of insecticide-treated nets in malaria vector control. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;83:115-21 pubmed publisher..This study represents the first stage in the development of a new indicator to evaluate the efficacy of malaria vector-control strategies, which could apply in other arthropod vector-borne diseases...
- Lilay A, Asamene N, Bekele A, Mengesha M, Wendabeku M, Tareke I, et al. Reemergence of yellow fever in Ethiopia after 50 years, 2013: epidemiological and entomological investigations. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:343 pubmed publisher..The investigation revealed that YF outbreak was reemerged after 50 years in Ethiopia. Vaccination should be given for the affected and neighboring districts and Case based surveillance should be initiated to detect every case. ..
- Ndiaye P, Quilichini Y, Sène A, Tkach V, Bâ C, Marchand B. Ultrastructural study of the male gamete of Pleurogonius truncatus Prudhoe, 1944 (Platyhelminthes, Digenea, Pronocephalidae) parasite of Eretmochelys imbricata (Linnaeus, 1766). C R Biol. 2012;335:239-46 pubmed publisher..This type of anterior extremity has never been described until today in Pronocephaloidea. On the other hand, the ultrastructure of the posterior extremity of the spermatozoon confirms that already described in Pronocephalidae. ..
- Berthet F, Zeller H, Drouet M, Rauzier J, Digoutte J, Deubel V. Extensive nucleotide changes and deletions within the envelope glycoprotein gene of Euro-African West Nile viruses. J Gen Virol. 1997;78 ( Pt 9):2293-7 pubmed publisher..The isolation of closely related subtypes in distant countries is consistent with WN viruses being disseminated by migrating birds...