Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila proteins in Moscow, Russia
Locale: Moscow, Russia
Topic: drosophila proteins
- Erokhin M, Davydova A, Kyrchanova O, Parshikov A, Georgiev P, Chetverina D. Insulators form gene loops by interacting with promoters in Drosophila. Development. 2011;138:4097-106 pubmed publisher..Both insulators support basal activity of the yellow and white promoters in eyes. Thus, the ability of insulators to interact with promoters might play an important role in the regulation of basal gene transcription...
- Melnikova L, Juge F, Gruzdeva N, Mazur A, Cavalli G, Georgiev P. Interaction between the GAGA factor and Mod(mdg4) proteins promotes insulator bypass in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:14806-11 pubmed..Our data provide direct evidence that heterologous insulators can be bypassed by distal enhancers and identify the interaction between GAF and Mod(mdg4) as a possible means to regulate insulator activity. ..
- Georgieva S, Nabirochkina E, Dilworth F, Eickhoff H, Becker P, Tora L, et al. The novel transcription factor e(y)2 interacts with TAF(II)40 and potentiates transcription activation on chromatin templates. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:5223-31 pubmed
- Gvozdev V, Aravin A, Abramov Y, Klenov M, Kogan G, Lavrov S, et al. Stellate repeats: targets of silencing and modules causing cis-inactivation and trans-activation. Genetica. 2003;117:239-45 pubmed..Trans-activation effect was retained after transposition of this construct into heterochromatic environment in spite of strong variegation of a mini-white gene...
- Kyrchanova O, Toshchakov S, Parshikov A, Georgiev P. Study of the functional interaction between Mcp insulators from the Drosophila bithorax complex: effects of insulator pairing on enhancer-promoter communication. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:3035-43 pubmed..These results indicate that the relative placement and orientation of insulator-like elements can determine proper enhancer-promoter communication. ..
- Klenov M, Lavrov S, Stolyarenko A, Ryazansky S, Aravin A, Tuschl T, et al. Repeat-associated siRNAs cause chromatin silencing of retrotransposons in the Drosophila melanogaster germline. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:5430-8 pubmed..Our results provide evidence that germinal Piwi-associated short RNAs induce chromatin modifications of their targets. ..
- Tchurikov N, Kretova O, Chernov B, Golova Y, Zhimulev I, Zykov I. SuUR protein binds to the boundary regions separating forum domains in Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:11705-10 pubmed..These results suggest that the regular distribution of boundary regions in chromosomes may represent the dispersion of sites designed for chromosomal silencing. ..
- Kyrchanova O, Chetverina D, Maksimenko O, Kullyev A, Georgiev P. Orientation-dependent interaction between Drosophila insulators is a property of this class of regulatory elements. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:7019-28 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that insulator proteins can support selective interactions between distant regulatory elements...
- Kahn T, Savitsky M, Georgiev P. Attachment of HeT-A sequences to chromosomal termini in Drosophila melanogaster may occur by different mechanisms. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:7634-42 pubmed
- Zobacheva P, Kulliev A, Georgiev P, Mel nikova L. Interaction between zeste binding sites does not block isolated yellow enhancers in Drosophila melanogaster. Dokl Biochem Biophys. 2003;391:229-31 pubmed
- Panov V, Kuzmina J, Doronin S, Kopantseva M, Nabirochkina E, Georgieva S, et al. Transcription co-activator SAYP mediates the action of STAT activator. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:2445-53 pubmed publisher..SAYP is necessary for stimulating STAT-driven transcription of numerous genes. Mutation of SAYP leads to maldevelopments similar to those observed in STAT mutants. Thus, SAYP is a novel co-activator mediating the action of STAT. ..
- Klenov M, Sokolova O, Yakushev E, Stolyarenko A, Mikhaleva E, Lavrov S, et al. Separation of stem cell maintenance and transposon silencing functions of Piwi protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:18760-5 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the Piwi function in GSC self-renewal is independent of transposon repression and is normally realized in the cytoplasm of GSC niche cells. ..
- Gruzdeva N, Kyrchanova O, Parshikov A, Kullyev A, Georgiev P. The Mcp element from the bithorax complex contains an insulator that is capable of pairwise interactions and can facilitate enhancer-promoter communication. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:3682-9 pubmed
- Velikodvorskaia V, Lyozin G, Feder M, Evgen ev M. Unusual arrangement of the hsp68 locus in the virilis species group of Drosophila implicates evolutionary loss of an hsp68 gene. Genome. 2005;48:234-40 pubmed..Therefore, we suggest that the hsp68 locus may have arisen via duplication of the hsp70 locus (or vice versa) early in the history of the genus Drosophila, with 1 hsp68 copy subsequently lost in most other Drosophila species groups. ..
- Mikhailovsky S, Belenkaya T, Georgiev P. Broken chromosomal ends can be elongated by conversion in Drosophila melanogaster. Chromosoma. 1999;108:114-20 pubmed..7 kb. No recombination events occurred. In addition, we found that the normal functioning of the yellow body and wing enhancers located at the tip of the chromosome required about 4 kb of additional upstream sequence. ..
- Golovnin A, Volkov I, Georgiev P. SUMO conjugation is required for the assembly of Drosophila Su(Hw) and Mod(mdg4) into insulator bodies that facilitate insulator complex formation. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:2064-74 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that insulator bodies function as a depot of sumoylated proteins that are involved in insulation and can facilitate insulator complex formation, but are nonessential for insulator action. ..
- Vorobyeva N, Soshnikova N, Kuzmina J, Kopantseva M, Nikolenko J, Nabirochkina E, et al. The novel regulator of metazoan development SAYP organizes a nuclear coactivator supercomplex. Cell Cycle. 2009;8:2152-6 pubmed..We suggest that nuclear supercomplexes may be important means of gene-specific regulation of transcription during development. ..
- Kyrchanova O, Zolotarev N, Mogila V, Maksimenko O, Schedl P, Georgiev P. Architectural protein Pita cooperates with dCTCF in organization of functional boundaries in Bithorax complex. Development. 2017;144:2663-2672 pubmed publisher..Mutation of the Mcp Pita site disrupts blocking activity and also eliminates dCTCF binding. In contrast, mutation of the Mcp dCTCF site does not affect Pita binding, and this mutant boundary retains partial function. ..
- Berekelya L, Mikryukov A, Luchinskaya N, Ponomarev M, Woodland H, Belyavsky A. The protein encoded by the germ plasm RNA Germes associates with dynein light chains and functions in Xenopus germline development. Differentiation. 2007;75:546-58 pubmed..We conclude that Germes is involved in organization and functioning of germ plasm in Xenopus, probably through interaction with motor complexes. ..
- Kopytova D, Krasnov A, Simonova O, Modestova E, Korochkin L, Georgieva S. Study of the lawc-trf2 gene of Drosophila melanogaster and the protein product of this gene. Dokl Biochem Biophys. 2005;405:380-2 pubmed
- Gurskiy D, Orlova A, Vorobyeva N, Nabirochkina E, Krasnov A, Shidlovskii Y, et al. The DUBm subunit Sgf11 is required for mRNA export and interacts with Cbp80 in Drosophila. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:10689-700 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sgf11 functions as a component of both SAGA DUBm and the mRNA biogenesis machinery. ..
- Kravchenko E, Savitskaya E, Kravchuk O, Parshikov A, Georgiev P, Savitsky M. Pairing between gypsy insulators facilitates the enhancer action in trans throughout the Drosophila genome. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:9283-91 pubmed..These data suggest that gypsy insulator pairing is involved in communication between loci in the Drosophila genome. ..
- Kalmykova A, Shevelyov Y, Polesskaya O, Dobritsa A, Evstafieva A, Boldyreff B, et al. CK2(beta)tes gene encodes a testis-specific isoform of the regulatory subunit of casein kinase 2 in Drosophila melanogaster. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:1418-27 pubmed..melanogaster genome is also testis-specific. Thus, we describe the first example of two tissue-specific regulatory subunits of CK2 which might serve to provide CK2 substrate recognition during spermatogenesis. ..
- Karakozova M, Savitskaya E, Melnikova L, Parshikov A, Georgiev P. The Mod(mdg4) component of the Su(Hw) insulator inserted in the P transposon can repress its mobility in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2004;167:1275-80 pubmed..Inactivation of a Mod(mdg4) component of the Su(Hw) insulator suppresses the insulator effect. Thus, the Su(Hw) insulator can modulate interactions between transposase complexes bound to the ends of the P transposon in germ cells. ..
- Vorobyeva N, Nikolenko J, Nabirochkina E, Krasnov A, Shidlovskii Y, Georgieva S. SAYP and Brahma are important for 'repressive' and 'transient' Pol II pausing. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:7319-31 pubmed publisher..SAYP is essential for Ser2 phosphorylation and transcription elongation. Thus, SAYP as part of the Brahma complex participates in both 'repressive' and 'transient' Pol II pausing. ..
- Tchurikov N, Kretova O, Moiseeva E, Sosin D. Evidence for RNA synthesis in the intergenic region between enhancer and promoter and its inhibition by insulators in Drosophila melanogaster. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:111-22 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the involvement of RNA-tracking mechanisms in the communications between enhancers and promoters, which are inhibited by insulators...
- Melnikova L, Kulikov A, Georgiev P. Interactions between cut wing mutations and mutations in zeste, and the enhancer of yellow and Polycomb group genes of Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1996;252:230-6 pubmed..The results are discussed in terms of the role of long-distance interactions and DNA compaction in transcriptional control of the cut locus. ..
- Vorobyeva N, Nikolenko J, Krasnov A, Kuzmina J, Panov V, Nabirochkina E, et al. SAYP interacts with DHR3 nuclear receptor and participates in ecdysone-dependent transcription regulation. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:1821-7 pubmed..The knockdown of SAYP leads to a decrease in the level of DHR3-activated transcription. DHR3 and SAYP interact during development and have multiple common targets across the genome. ..
- Nabirochkina E, Simonova O, Mertsalov I, Kulikova D, Ladigina N, Korochkin L, et al. Expression pattern of dd4, a sole member of the d4 family of transcription factors in Drosophila melanogaster. Mech Dev. 2002;114:119-23 pubmed..In flies dd4 mRNA is found in most tissues but the highest level of expression is detected in ovaries. ..
- Gause M, Georgieva S, Georgiev P. Phenotypic reversion of the gypsy-induced mutation scD1 of Drosophila melanogaster by replicative transposition of a sc enhancer to the yellow gene and by mutations in the enhancer of yellow and zeste loci. Mol Gen Genet. 1996;253:370-6 pubmed..In addition, we found that mutations in the e(y)1, e(y)3 and zeste genes may interfere with transcriptional insulation by the su(Hw)-binding region in the scD1 allele. ..
- Golovnin A, Biryukova I, Birukova I, Romanova O, Silicheva M, Parshikov A, et al. An endogenous Su(Hw) insulator separates the yellow gene from the Achaete-scute gene complex in Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:3249-58 pubmed..Genetic analysis shows that at least two proteins, Suppressor of Hairy wing and Modifier of MDG4, required for the activity of this insulator, are involved in the transcriptional regulation of Achaete-scute. ..
- Mel nikova L, Krivega I, Georgiev P, Golovnin A. Nuclear matrix protein EAST is involved in regulation of transcription of the yellow gene in Drosophila melanogaster. Dokl Biol Sci. 2007;415:313-6 pubmed
- Usakin L, Kogan G, Kalmykova A, Gvozdev V. An alien promoter capture as a primary step of the evolution of testes-expressed repeats in the Drosophila melanogaster genome. Mol Biol Evol. 2005;22:1555-60 pubmed..Our results show that RNAi silencing, considered as a defense against viruses and transposable elements, may be involved in the evolution of eukaryotic genomes. ..
- Kalmykova A, Shevelyov Y, Dobritsa A, Gvozdev V. Acquisition and amplification of a testis-expressed autosomal gene, SSL, by the Drosophila Y chromosome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:6297-302 pubmed..These results suggest that the acquisition of testis-specific autosomal genes may be important for the evolution of Drosophila as well as human Y chromosomes. ..
- Krasnov A, Kurshakova M, Ramensky V, Mardanov P, Nabirochkina E, Georgieva S. A retrocopy of a gene can functionally displace the source gene in evolution. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:6654-61 pubmed publisher..This must have resulted from retroposition into a transcriptionally favorable region of the genome...
- Vagin V, Klenov M, Kalmykova A, Stolyarenko A, Kotelnikov R, Gvozdev V. The RNA interference proteins and vasa locus are involved in the silencing of retrotransposons in the female germline of Drosophila melanogaster. RNA Biol. 2004;1:54-8 pubmed..We suggest participation of these proteins in the same silencing pathway. ..
- Kyrchanova O, Leman D, Parshikov A, Fedotova A, Studitsky V, Maksimenko O, et al. New properties of Drosophila scs and scs' insulators. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62690 pubmed publisher..After analyzing many independent transgenic lines, we have concluded that transgenes carrying the scs insulator are rarely inserted into genomic regions that stimulate the white reporter expression in the eyes. ..
- Simonova O. [A novel trans-regulatory locus in Drosophila]. Genetika. 2000;36:1464-74 pubmed..A possible role of the new locus in organogenesis, neurogenesis, and embryonic development is discussed on the basis of experimental findings...
- Olenkina O, Egorova K, Kibanov M, Gervaziev Y, Gvozdev V, Olenina L. Promoter contribution to the testis-specific expression of Stellate gene family in Drosophila melanogaster. Gene. 2012;499:143-53 pubmed publisher..Here we characterized a new type of testis-specific core promoter and identified dUSF as its interacting transcription factor. ..
- Kalmykova A, Klenov M, Gvozdev V. Argonaute protein PIWI controls mobilization of retrotransposons in the Drosophila male germline. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:2052-9 pubmed..Our results provide the first evidence that protein of the Argonaute family prevents retrotranspositions. It is supposed that the disturbance of RNA silencing system in germinal cells might cause transposition burst. ..
- Bonchuk A, Denisov S, Georgiev P, Maksimenko O. Drosophila BTB/POZ domains of "ttk group" can form multimers and selectively interact with each other. J Mol Biol. 2011;412:423-36 pubmed publisher..Unexpectedly, experiments in the Drosophila model system have not supported the role of GAF in organization of long-distance interaction between the yeast GAL4 activator and the white promoter. ..
- Savitsky M, Kwon D, Georgiev P, Kalmykova A, Gvozdev V. Telomere elongation is under the control of the RNAi-based mechanism in the Drosophila germline. Genes Dev. 2006;20:345-54 pubmed..Double-stranded RNA (dsRNA)-mediated control of telomeric retroelement transposition may occur at premeiotic stages, resulting in the maintenance of appropriate telomere length in gamete precursors. ..
- Rodin S, Kyrchanova O, Pomerantseva E, Parshikov A, Georgiev P. New properties of Drosophila fab-7 insulator. Genetics. 2007;177:113-21 pubmed..It seems likely that Fab-7 strengthens the relatively weak white promoter, which leads to the efficient enhancer-promoter interaction and insulator bypass...
- Kostyuchenko M, Savitskaya E, Koryagina E, Melnikova L, Karakozova M, Georgiev P. Zeste can facilitate long-range enhancer-promoter communication and insulator bypass in Drosophila melanogaster. Chromosoma. 2009;118:665-74 pubmed publisher..Zeste is also required for insulator bypass by the eye enhancer. Taken together, these results show that Zeste can support specific long-range interactions between enhancers and promoters. ..
- Vorobyeva N, Soshnikova N, Nikolenko J, Kuzmina J, Nabirochkina E, Georgieva S, et al. Transcription coactivator SAYP combines chromatin remodeler Brahma and transcription initiation factor TFIID into a single supercomplex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:11049-54 pubmed publisher..The integrity of BTFly is crucial for its ability to activate transcription. BTFly is distributed genome-wide and appears to be a means of effective transcription activation. ..
- Kurshakova M, Krasnov A, Kopytova D, Shidlovskii Y, Nikolenko J, Nabirochkina E, et al. SAGA and a novel Drosophila export complex anchor efficient transcription and mRNA export to NPC. EMBO J. 2007;26:4956-65 pubmed..Thus, E(y)2 and Xmas-2 together with SAGA/TFTC function in the anchoring of a subset of transcription sites to the NPCs to achieve efficient transcription and mRNA export. ..
- Kyrchanova O, Toshchakov S, Podstreshnaya Y, Parshikov A, Georgiev P. Functional interaction between the Fab-7 and Fab-8 boundaries and the upstream promoter region in the Drosophila Abd-B gene. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:4188-95 pubmed publisher..We have also shown that Fab-7 and Fab-8 boundaries effectively interact with the upstream region of the Abd-B promoter. ..
- Bezborodova E, Kulikov A, Georgiev P. A new family of genes which, when mutated, suppress the inhibitory effect of the mod(mdg4)1u1 mutation on y2 expression in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1997;257:83-90 pubmed..Most of Su(mg) mutations do not affect the viability or fertility of homozygous flies. We speculate that the Su(mg) genes represent a new family of redundant regulatory genes in Drosophila melanogaster. ..
- Frolov M, Alatortsev V. Cluster of cytochrome P450 genes on the X chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster. DNA Cell Biol. 1994;13:663-8 pubmed..CYP4D2 lies 20 kb proximal to the previously described CYP4D1 gene (Gandhi et al., 1992). In addition to CYP4D1 and CYP4D2, two other DNA fragments homologous to P450 genes are detected within the wap1-prune region. ..
- Gause M, Hovhannisyan H, Kan T, Kuhfittig S, Mogila V, Georgiev P. hobo Induced rearrangements in the yellow locus influence the insulation effect of the gypsy su(Hw)-binding region in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1998;149:1393-405 pubmed..These results provide a better insight into mechanisms by which the su(Hw)-binding region affects the enhancer function. ..
- Belenkaya T, Soldatov A, Nabirochkina E, Biryukova I, Birjukova I, Georgieva S, et al. P-Element insertion at the polyhomeotic gene leads to formation of a novel chimeric protein that negatively regulates yellow gene expression in P-element-induced alleles of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1998;150:687-97 pubmed..The P-PH, Polycomb (PC), and Posterior sex combs (PSC) proteins were immunohistochemically detected on polytene chromosomes in the regions of P-element insertions. ..
- Zolotarev N, Maksimenko O, Kyrchanova O, Sokolinskaya E, Osadchiy I, Girardot C, et al. Opbp is a new architectural/insulator protein required for ribosomal gene expression. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:12285-12300 pubmed publisher..Rather than having a constitutive role, Opbp represents a new type of architectural protein with a very restricted, yet essential, function in regulation of housekeeping gene expression. ..
- Georgieva S, Nabirochkina E, Pustovoĭtov M, Krasnov A, Soldatov A. [Molecular characteristics of the new evolutionary-conserved nuclear protein e(y)2]. Genetika. 2001;37:18-23 pubmed..The protein is evolutionarily conserved: its homologs were found in evolutionary distant organisms, such as plants, mammals, and protozoans. Amino acid sequences of human, rabbit, and mouse e(y)2 are identical to each other. ..
- Garbuz D, Molodtsov V, Velikodvorskaia V, Evgen ev M, Zatsepina O. [Evolution of the response to heat shock in genus Drosophila]. Genetika. 2002;38:1097-109 pubmed..The evolutionary role of the variation in the number of hsp70 gene copies observed in the strains and species of genus Drosophila is discussed. ..
- Kurshakova M, Maksimenko O, Golovnin A, Pulina M, Georgieva S, Georgiev P, et al. Evolutionarily conserved E(y)2/Sus1 protein is essential for the barrier activity of Su(Hw)-dependent insulators in Drosophila. Mol Cell. 2007;27:332-8 pubmed..Apparently, different domains of Su(Hw) recruit proteins responsible for enhancer-blocking and for the barrier activity. ..
- Kotelnikov R, Klenov M, Rozovsky Y, Olenina L, Kibanov M, Gvozdev V. Peculiarities of piRNA-mediated post-transcriptional silencing of Stellate repeats in testes of Drosophila melanogaster. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:3254-63 pubmed publisher..We suggest that piRNAs, similarly to siRNAs, degrade only unmasked transcripts, which are accessible for translation. ..
- Golovnin A, Melnikova L, Volkov I, Kostuchenko M, Galkin A, Georgiev P. 'Insulator bodies' are aggregates of proteins but not of insulators. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:440-5 pubmed publisher..Hence, it is not the functional genomic insulators but rather aggregated proteins that make the so-called 'insulator bodies'. ..
- Melnikova L, Georgiev P. Enhancer of terminal gene conversion, a new mutation in Drosophila melanogaster that induces telomere elongation by gene conversion. Genetics. 2002;162:1301-12 pubmed..Thus, the E(tc) mutation plays a significant role in the control of telomere elongation in D. melanogaster. ..
- Kyrchanova O, Ivlieva T, Toshchakov S, Parshikov A, Maksimenko O, Georgiev P. Selective interactions of boundaries with upstream region of Abd-B promoter in Drosophila bithorax complex and role of dCTCF in this process. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:3042-52 pubmed publisher..Thus, the boundaries might be involved in supporting the specific interactions between iab enhancers and promoters of the bithorax complex. ..
- Egorova K, Olenkina O, Kibanov M, Kalmykova A, Gvozdev V, Olenina L. Genetically Derepressed Nucleoplasmic Stellate Protein in Spermatocytes of D. melanogaster interacts with the catalytic subunit of protein kinase 2 and carries histone-like lysine-methylated mark. J Mol Biol. 2009;389:895-906 pubmed publisher..We also observed that Stellate underwent lysine methylation and mimicked trimethyl-H3K9 epigenetic modification of histone H3 tail...