Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Islāmābād, Pakistan
Locale: Islāmābād, Pakistan
Publications236 found, 100 shown here
- Sabir M, Baig R, Mahjabeen I, Kayani M. Significance of cyclin D1 polymorphisms in patients with head and neck cancer. Int J Biol Markers. 2013;28:49-55 pubmed publisher..45, 95% CI 1.02-2.08, p=0.04). In conclusion, it is suggested that the CCND1 G/A polymorphism is associated with the early onset of HNC and may contribute to HNC susceptibility in a Pakistani population...
- Khan M, Khan K, Shah S, Mir K, Khattak M, Shahzad M. Risk Factors Associated with Thyroid Carcinoma in North Pakistan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2016;17:377-80 pubmed..Rates were significantly higher in patients who had history of recent increase in swelling size and higher and higher pre-surgery TSH values. ..
- Milton A, Hussain S, Akter S, Rahman M, Mouly T, Mitchell K. A Review of the Effects of Chronic Arsenic Exposure on Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..Further research on impact of low-moderate arsenic concentration exposure on pregnancy outcomes will allow for appropriate public health policy recommendations. ..
- Ghani E, Zaidi G, Nadeem M, Rehman L, Noman M, Khaleeq Uz Zaman -. Role of cerebrospinal fluid diversion in posterior fossa tumor surgery. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2003;13:333-6 pubmed..To assess the role of cerebrospinal fluid diversion in posterior fossa tumor surgery...
- Chishti M, Muhammad D, Haider M, Ahmad W. A novel missense mutation in MSX1 underlies autosomal recessive oligodontia with associated dental anomalies in Pakistani families. J Hum Genet. 2006;51:872-8 pubmed..A219T), located in the MSX1 homeodomain, which is important for DNA binding and protein-protein interaction. The mutation, p. A219T, is the first recessive mutation identified in MSX1. ..
- Gilani A, Jadoon A, Qaiser R, Nasim S, Meraj R, Nasir N, et al. Attitudes towards genetic diagnosis in Pakistan: a survey of medical and legal communities and parents of thalassemic children. Community Genet. 2007;10:140-6 pubmed..It is important to educate the population about potential benefits as well as ethical dilemmas involved so that the general public is able to make the right decisions for themselves and their families. ..
- Zaman S, Mannan J, Lange S, Lönnroth I, Hanson L. B 221, a medical food containing antisecretory factor reduces child diarrhoea: a placebo controlled trial. Acta Paediatr. 2007;96:1655-9 pubmed..B221, which is a medical food, can be used to significantly improve the condition of children with acute, as well as prolonged diarrhoea caused by a broad range of undefined pathogens. ..
- Abbasi A, Khan M, Ahmad M, Zafar M, Jahan S, Sultana S. Ethnopharmacological application of medicinal plants to cure skin diseases and in folk cosmetics among the tribal communities of North-West Frontier Province, Pakistan. J Ethnopharmacol. 2010;128:322-35 pubmed publisher..The present investigation is an attempt to find out ethnopharmacological application of medicinal plants to cure skin diseases and in folk cosmetics...
- Wasif N, Naqvi S, Basit S, Ali N, Ansar M, Ahmad W. Novel mutations in the keratin-74 (KRT74) gene underlie autosomal dominant woolly hair/hypotrichosis in Pakistani families. Hum Genet. 2011;129:419-24 pubmed publisher..1444G>A, p.Asp482Asn) in family B. Mutations identified in the present study extend the body of evidence implicating the KRT74 gene in the pathogenesis of autosomal dominant hair loss disorders. ..
- Saeed A, Ashraf Z, Rafique H. Total synthesis and cytotoxic activity of stellatin. J Asian Nat Prod Res. 2011;13:97-104 pubmed publisher..The dihydroisocoumarins (5-8) were screened for cytotoxic activity against human keratinocyte cell line and were found to exhibit moderate to good activity...
- Iqbal T, Saaiq M, Ali Z. Epidemiology and outcome of burns: early experience at the country's first national burns centre. Burns. 2013;39:358-62 pubmed publisher..There were 197 deaths among the hospitalised patients constituting a 14% mortality rate for the hospitalised subset of patients, while there was an overall mortality rate of 1.48% for the entire study population. ..
- Sidra S, Hussain S, Malik F. Accentuating the prodigious significance of Eclipta alba - an inestimable medicinal plant. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2013;26:1259-66 pubmed..Therefore this herb produces robust curative lead compounds, which would be propitious for humanity. The purpose of this review recapitulates all data related to E. alba considering its prodigious medicinal importance. ..
- Farhat K, Iqbal J, Waheed A, Mansoor Q, Ismail M, Pasha A. Association of Anti-Emetic Efficacy of Ondansetron with G2677T Polymorphism in a Drug Transporter Gene ABCB1 in Pakistani Population. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2015;25:486-90 pubmed publisher..001). The patients with GG genotypes had significantly higher incidence of this complaint (p=0.014). Polymorphism of ABCB1 has an association with responsiveness for ondansetron. There is a role for genetics in the management of PONV. ..
- Ullah Z, Ullah M, Hussain S, Kaul H, Lone K. Determination of Serum Trace Elements (Zn, Cu, and Fe) in Pakistani Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2017;175:10-16 pubmed publisher..It is very important to explore the deficiency of essential trace metals in biological samples of the RA patients in different populations which may be helpful for diagnosis and supplementary management of rheumatoid arthritis patients. ..
- Rashid A, Hasan O, Siddique U, Tahar S. Formal reasoning about systems biology using theorem proving. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180179 pubmed publisher..e., the pathway leading to TP53 Phosphorylation, the pathway leading to the death of cancer stem cells and the tumor growth based on cancer stem cells, which is used for the prognosis and future drug designs to treat cancer patients. ..
- Bokhari H, Ali A, Noreen Z, Thomson N, Wren B. Galleria mellonella is low cost and suitable surrogate host for studying virulence of human pathogenic Vibrio cholerae. Gene. 2017;628:1-7 pubmed publisher..004). Finally we present the annotated genomes of the strains D59 and K7, and compared them with the reference strain N16961. ..
- Thiruvenkatachari B, Javidi H, Griffiths S, Shah A, Sandler J. Extraction of maxillary canines: Esthetic perceptions of patient smiles among dental professionals and laypeople. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2017;152:509-515 pubmed publisher..Further high-quality studies are required to evaluate the effect of canine extraction and premolar substitution on functional occlusion. ..
- Gul A, Hassan M, Mahmood S, Chen W, Rahmani S, Naseer M, et al. Genetic studies of autosomal recessive primary microcephaly in 33 Pakistani families: Novel sequence variants in ASPM gene. Neurogenetics. 2006;7:105-10 pubmed..One of the variants, 9539A>C (Q3180P), occurred in the IQ 79 domain, but its functional significance awaits definition. ..
- Chishti M, Kausar N, Rafiq M, Amin M, Ahmad W. A novel missense mutation in RSPO4 gene underlies autosomal recessive congenital anonychia in a consanguineous Pakistani family. Br J Dermatol. 2008;158:621-3 pubmed
- Simpson I. A study of the current knowledge base in treating snake bite amongst doctors in the high-risk countries of India and Pakistan: does snake bite treatment training reflect local requirements?. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2008;102:1108-14 pubmed publisher..The central conclusion of the paper is that local protocols and training are required to adequately prepare doctors to improve treatment and reduce mortality. ..
- Rabbani M, Khan M, Qureshi R, Zubair M, Pervez M. Does the added benefit of ondansetron over dexamethasone, to control post-operative nausea and vomiting, justify the added cost in patients undergoing tonsillectomy and adenotonsillectomy?. J Pak Med Assoc. 2010;60:559-61 pubmed..05). Dexamethasone was equally effective in controlling PONV in tonsillectomy and adenotonsillectomy patients. The improved benefit of using ondansetron over dexamethasone, on a regular basis, does not justify the added cost. ..
- Ayub M, Ur Rehman F, Yasinzai M, Ahmad W. A novel missense mutation in the ectodysplasin-A (EDA) gene underlies X-linked recessive nonsyndromic hypodontia. Int J Dermatol. 2010;49:1399-402 pubmed publisher..A mutation identified in this study extends the body of evidence implicating the EDA gene in X-linked nonsyndromic hypodontia and supports the role of EDA-EDAR-EDARADD signaling in the morphogenesis of teeth. ..
- Tariq N, Ayub R, Jaffery T, Rahim F, Naseem F, Kamal M. Efficacy of levonorgestrel intrauterine system (LNG-IUS) for abnormal uterine bleeding and contraception. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2011;21:210-3 pubmed publisher..LNG-IUS is an effective and acceptable treatment for abnormal uterine bleeding as well as for contraception. Vaginal spotting was the most frequent side effect experienced by both groups. ..
- Abid N, Islam O, Bosan A, Iqbal T, Darwish A, Bile K. Pakistan's fight against poliomyelitis: introducing innovative strategies to address challenges and attain the goal of eradication. East Mediterr Health J. 2010;16 Suppl:S5-14 pubmed..This will provide Pakistan a strong and imminent opportunity to interrupt polio virus circulation...
- Masood N, Kayani M, Malik F, Mahjabeen I, Baig R, Faryal R. Genetic variation in carcinogen metabolizing genes associated with oral cancer in pakistani population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2011;12:491-5 pubmed..These results suggest that accumulation of genetic changes in CYP1A1, GSTM1, GSTT1 and GSTP1 genes are associated with increased risk of oral cancer. ..
- Malik S, Jabeen N. Zygodactyly with thumb aplasia: an unusual variant in a male subject. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2011;21:710-2 pubmed publisher..There was aplasia of certain carpals while the radius showed minimal clinical symptoms. The subject was the product of first cousins union. To the best of our knowledge, this combination of limb phenotype has not been described before. ..
- Bibi Y, Nisa S, Zia M, Waheed A, Ahmed S, Chaudhary M. In vitro cytotoxic activity of Aesculus indica against breast adenocarcinoma cell line (MCF-7) and phytochemical analysis. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2012;25:183-7 pubmed..Methanol and aqueous fraction of methanol extract of Aesculus indica can be good source of cytotoxic compounds. ..
- Mooez S, Malik F, Kayani M, Rashid R, Zahid A, Khan A. Expressional alterations and transcript isoforms of metastasis suppressor genes (KAI1 and KiSS1) in breast cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2011;12:2785-91 pubmed..This splice variant has not been reported previously. Metastasis suppressor genes demonstrate reduced expression in breast cancers in Pakistan. ..
- Mustafa M, Hussain S, Qureshi S, Malik S, Kazmi A, Naeem M. Study of the effect of antiviral therapy on homocysteinemia in hepatitis C virus- infected patients. BMC Gastroenterol. 2012;12:117 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the significance of the measurement of serum homocysteine levels in the diagnosis and monitoring of HCV infection treatment in addition to other laboratory parameters. ..
- Ahmed Z, Wang Y, Ahmad A, Khan S, Nisa M, Ahmad H, et al. Kefir and health: a contemporary perspective. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2013;53:422-34 pubmed publisher..This review leads us to conclude that kefir begins a new dawn of food for the mankind. ..
- Abbasi A, Khan M, Khan N, Shah M. Ethnobotanical survey of medicinally important wild edible fruits species used by tribal communities of Lesser Himalayas-Pakistan. J Ethnopharmacol. 2013;148:528-36 pubmed publisher..Further investigation is required for Antioxidant study, essential and toxic components, pharmacological applications; dietary requirements and biotechnological techniques to improve yields. ..
- Nazir S, Hussain T, Ayub A, Rashid U, Macrobert A. Nanomaterials in combating cancer: therapeutic applications and developments. Nanomedicine. 2014;10:19-34 pubmed publisher..In this comprehensive review, the current state-of-the art of nanomaterials for cancer diagnosis and treatment is presented. Emerging possibilities and future concepts are discussed as well. ..
- Shah F, Fatima K, Sabir S, Ali S, Qadri I, Ud Din N. Design, synthesis, structure information and biochemical activity of new floro substituted organotin(IV) carboxylates. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2016;154:99-107 pubmed publisher..This work, demonstrated that compound 3 may be used as a potential anti-HCV agent in the future. ..
- Rehman Z, Khan S, Qin K, Brusseau M, Shah M, Din I. Quantification of inorganic arsenic exposure and cancer risk via consumption of vegetables in southern selected districts of Pakistan. Sci Total Environ. 2016;550:321-329 pubmed publisher..The ILTCR values for inorganic As indicated a minimal potential cancer risk through ingestion of vegetables. In addition, the HQ values for total As were <1, indicating minimal non-cancer risk. ..
- Anjum S, Abbasi B. Biomimetic synthesis of antimicrobial silver nanoparticles using in vitro-propagated plantlets of a medicinally important endangered species: Phlomis bracteosa. Int J Nanomedicine. 2016;11:1663-75 pubmed publisher..The present work highlighted the potent role of in vitro-derived plantlets of P. bracteosa for feasible biosynthesis of antimicrobial AgNPs, which can be used as nanomedicines in many biomedical applications. ..
- Shah N, Khan M. Increase of glutathione, testosterone and antioxidant effects of Jurenia dolomiaea on CCl4 induced testicular toxicity in rat. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:206 pubmed publisher..Enhanced level of GSH, thickness of germinal layers in testes and testosterone in serum with JDEE (400 mg/kg) treatment alone to rats demanded the evaluation of JDEE for sexual behavior. ..
- Ahmad M, Faiyaz ul Haque M, Ahmad W, Abbas H, Haque S, Krakow D, et al. Distinct, autosomal recessive form of spondyloepimetaphyseal dysplasia segregating in an inbred Pakistani kindred. Am J Med Genet. 1998;78:468-73 pubmed..This distinctive phenotype is distinct from other autosomal recessive forms of SEMD because of the mild degree of metaphyseal involvement, the type of brachydactyly, and the absence of loose joints or other clinical findings. ..
- Khatri I, Chaudhry U, Seikaly M, Browne R, Iannaccone S. Low bone mineral density in spinal muscular atrophy. J Clin Neuromuscul Dis. 2008;10:11-7 pubmed publisher..05). We conclude that osteopenia is common in children with neuromuscular disorders. Patients with SMA have the lowest BMD. ..
- Mumtaz R, Khan A, Moeen F, Noor N, Humayun S. The role of Pakistani dentists in tobacco cessation. Int Dent J. 2008;58:356-62 pubmed..Tobacco cessation clinics should also be set up in private and public sectors to augment the dentists' participation. ..
- Umm E Kalsoom -, Wasif N, Tariq M, Ahmad W. A novel missense mutation in the EVC gene underlies Ellis-van Creveld syndrome in a Pakistani family. Pediatr Int. 2010;52:240-6 pubmed publisher..617G>A; p.S206N) in the EVC gene. We herein report on the first family from Pakistan with a large number of individuals affected by EVC. DNA sequence analysis led to the identification of the fifth missense mutation in the EVC gene. ..
- Basit S, Ali G, Wasif N, Ansar M, Ahmad W. Genetic mapping of a novel hypotrichosis locus to chromosome 7p21.3-p22.3 in a Pakistani family and screening of the candidate genes. Hum Genet. 2010;128:213-20 pubmed publisher..59 Mb according to the sequence-based physical map (Build 36.2). Mutation analysis of five potential candidate genes (GNA12, FOXK1, DAGLB, ZNF12, ACTB), located in the linkage interval, did not reveal any functional sequence variant...
- Aurangzeb B, Whitten K, Harrison B, Mitchell M, Kepreotes H, Sidler M, et al. Prevalence of malnutrition and risk of under-nutrition in hospitalized children. Clin Nutr. 2012;31:35-40 pubmed publisher..NRSs identified a group of children at increased risk of nutritional deterioration who subsequently had longer hospital stays. Use of NRSs at admission can identify children requiring focused nutritional assessment. ..
- Noreen M, Shah M, Mall S, Choudhary S, Hussain T, Ahmed I, et al. TLR4 polymorphisms and disease susceptibility. Inflamm Res. 2012;61:177-88 pubmed publisher..Genetic variations greatly influence immune responses towards pathogenic challenges and disease outcome. In this review, we summarize various reports regarding TLR4 polymorphisms and disease susceptibility. ..
- Ishtiaq O, Qadri A, Mehar S, Gondal G, Iqbal T, Ali S, et al. Disposal of syringes, needles, and lancets used by diabetic patients in Pakistan. J Infect Public Health. 2012;5:182-8 pubmed publisher..The common disposal of sharps in the household garbage has implications for disease transmission. Education on the safe disposal of sharps may improve the disposal practices. ..
- Saaiq M, Iqbal T. Report: Fatal toxic epidermal necrolysis induced by sodium valproate. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2013;26:637-9 pubmed..Despite all therapeutic measures the patient kept on deteriorating and developed multi-organ failure with pneumonia. He died on 7th day of hospitalization. ..
- Farooqi A, Li K, Fayyaz S, Chang Y, Ismail M, Liaw C, et al. Anticancer drugs for the modulation of endoplasmic reticulum stress and oxidative stress. Tumour Biol. 2015;36:5743-52 pubmed publisher..Reconceptualization of the molecular crosstalk among ROS modulating effectors, ER stress, and DAMPs will lead to advances in anticancer therapy. ..
- Ghazal P. The Physio-Pharmacological Role of the NPS/NPSR System in Psychiatric Disorders: A Translational Overview. Curr Protein Pept Sci. 2016;17:380-97 pubmed..Additionally, neuroimaging and genetic linkage studies addressing the functional impact of NPSR1 variants in the aforementioned psychiatric disorders have also been discussed. ..
- Faryal R, Ishfaq M, Hayat T, Mahjabeen I, Kayani M. Novel SYK gene variations and changes in binding sites of miRs in breast cancer patients. Cancer Biomark. 2016;16:319-26 pubmed publisher..Overall novel mutations in SYK gene and in silico analysis revealed that these mutations are crucial and might be responsible for altered expression of SYK. ..
- Jadoon M, Zhang Q, Haq I, Butt S, Jadoon A. Three-Class Mammogram Classification Based on Descriptive CNN Features. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:3640901 pubmed publisher..CNN-DW and CNN-CT have achieved accuracy rate of 81.83% and 83.74%, respectively. Simulation results clearly validate the significance and impact of our proposed model as compared to other well-known existing techniques. ..
- Rashid M, Naz A, Ali A, Andleeb S. Prediction of vaccine candidates against Pseudomonas aeruginosa: An integrated genomics and proteomics approach. Genomics. 2017;109:274-283 pubmed publisher..These proteins were then analyzed for potential immunogenic surface exposed epitopes. These predicted epitopes may provide a basis for development of a reliable subunit vaccine against P. aeruginosa. ..
- Ongwae K, Bawa S, Shuaib F, Braka F, Corkum M, Isa H. Use of Dedicated Mobile Teams and Polio Volunteer Community Mobilizers to Increase Access to Zero-Dose Oral Poliovirus Vaccine and Routine Childhood Immunizations in Settlements at High Risk for Polio Transmission in Northern Nigeria. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S267-S272 pubmed publisher..The increase in the services generated represented the increasing role of the dedicated mobile teams and polio VCMs in strengthening RI. ..
- Alam M, Zaidi S, Malik S, Naeem A, Shaukat S, Sharif S, et al. Serology based disease status of Pakistani population infected with hepatitis B virus. BMC Infect Dis. 2007;7:64 pubmed..Our results indicate high prevalence rate of Hepatitis B virus infection and nationwide vaccination campaigns along with public awareness and educational programs are needed to be practiced urgently. ..
- Pasha Q, Malik S, Iqbal J, Shah M. Characterization and distribution of the selected metals in the scalp hair of cancer patients in comparison with normal donors. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2007;118:207-16 pubmed..The study evidenced significantly different pattern of metal distribution in the hair of cancer patients in comparison with normal donors. The role of trace metals in carcinogenesis was also discussed. ..
- Yusuf M. Systems for the management of respiratory disease in primary care--an international series: Pakistan. Prim Care Respir J. 2009;18:3-9 pubmed publisher..Various non-governmental organisations have plans to promote awareness regarding all aspects of allergy, asthma, COPD, and other chronic respiratory diseases, in the future. ..
- Jelani M, Salman Chishti M, Ahmad W. A novel splice-site mutation in the CDH3 gene in hypotrichosis with juvenile macular dystrophy. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2009;34:68-73 pubmed publisher..The mutation identified here represents the first mutation in the CDH3 gene causing HJMD in a Pakistani population. ..
- Mir A, Wajid A, Reichenbach L, Khan M. STI prevalence and associated factors among urban men in Pakistan. Sex Transm Infect. 2009;85:199-200 pubmed publisher..Health education messages should target less educated segments of society and specifically advocate safe sex practices and early diagnosis. ..
- Nasir M, Latif A, Ajmal M, Qamar R, Naeem M, Hameed A. Molecular analysis of lipoid proteinosis: identification of a novel nonsense mutation in the ECM1 gene in a Pakistani family. Diagn Pathol. 2011;6:69 pubmed publisher..Q206X) at amino acid position 206. The finding of a novel mutation in Pakistani family extends the body of evidence that supports the importance of ECM1 gene for the development of lipoid proteinosis. ..
- Parveen N, Masood A, Iftikhar N, Minhas B, Minhas R, Nawaz U, et al. Comparative genomics using teleost fish helps to systematically identify target gene bodies of functionally defined human enhancers. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:122 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the systematic wiring of cis-acting sites and their target gene bodies is an important step to unravel the role of in vivo characterized catalog of human enhancers in development, physiology and medicine. ..
- Khan T, Qazi J. Hurdles to the global antipolio campaign in Pakistan: an outline of the current status and future prospects to achieve a polio free world. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2013;67:696-702 pubmed publisher..We have evaluated all the possible barriers and explained them with a perspective that will help develop area specific strategies against polio virus and thus eradicate polio virus from the world. ..
- Siddiqi K, Scammell K, Huque R, Khan A, Baral S, Ali S, et al. Smokeless Tobacco Supply Chain in South Asia: A Comparative Analysis Using the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Nicotine Tob Res. 2016;18:424-30 pubmed publisher..The analysis using FCTC could provide valuable information to policy makers and enable them to effectively regulate SLT products. ..
- Eqani S, Kanwal A, Bhowmik A, Sohail M, Ullah R, Ali S, et al. Spatial distribution of dust-bound trace elements in Pakistan and their implications for human exposure. Environ Pollut. 2016;213:213-222 pubmed publisher..These results will contribute towards the environmental management of trace metal(s) with potential risk for human health throughout Pakistan. ..
- Farooqi A, Gadaleta C, Ranieri G, Fayyaz S, Marech I. New Frontiers in Promoting TRAIL-Mediated Cell Death: Focus on Natural Sensitizers, miRNAs, and Nanotechnological Advancements. Cell Biochem Biophys. 2016;74:3-10 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive knowledge of genetics and proteomics of TRAIL-based signaling network obtained from cancer patients of different populations will be helpful in getting a step closer to personalized medicine. ..
- Shabbir M, Aleem M, Javed S, Wagner D, KEIM P, Eqani S, et al. Spatial analysis and identification of high risk plague regions in Pakistan based on associated rodent species distribution. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2016;10:687-93 pubmed publisher..The combined epidemiological and ecological surveillance studies suggest a prevalence of several potential rodent carriers in certain districts with the possibility of a plague outbreak in Pakistan. ..
- Khalid S, Akram M, Hassan T, Nasim A, Jameel A. Fully Automated Robust System to Detect Retinal Edema, Central Serous Chorioretinopathy, and Age Related Macular Degeneration from Optical Coherence Tomography Images. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:7148245 pubmed publisher..92%, 100%, and 99.86%, respectively. ..
- Sahreen S, Khan M, Khan R. Evaluation of Rumex hastatus leaves against hepatic fibrosis: a rat model. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:435 pubmed publisher..hastatus leaves regulated these markers of oxidative dysfunctions. From the present report it was inferred that R. hastatus leaves have the ability to reverse CCl4 - induced hepatic damages. ..
- Khan M, Micheal S, Akhtar F, Naveed A, Ahmed A, Qamar R. Association of ABO blood groups with glaucoma in the Pakistani population. Can J Ophthalmol. 2009;44:582-6 pubmed publisher..05) with an OR of 4.05 (95% CI 2.98-5.51), as compared with controls. In the Pakistani patient cohort, blood group B is associated with all types of glaucoma and the Rhallele is associated only with POAG. ..
- Malik M, Riaz S, Waqar S, Haq F, Ye L, Jiang W. Role of Plexin B1 in a Breast Cancer Cohort of Pakistani Patients and its Contribution Towards Cancer Metastasis as Indicated by an In Vitro Model. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:4483-4488 pubmed..Loss of plexin B1 expression might play a pivotal role in enhancing the metastatic potential of breast cancer cells. ..
- Micheal S, Minhas K, Ishaque M, Ahmed F, Ahmed A. IL-4 gene polymorphisms and their association with atopic asthma and allergic rhinitis in Pakistani patients. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2013;23:107-11 pubmed..The results of this study indicate that in addition to environmental factors, genetic risk factors also play an important role in the development of atopic respiratory diseases. ..
- Ali U, Naveed M, Ullah A, Ali K, Shah S, Fahad S, et al. L-asparaginase as a critical component to combat Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (ALL): A novel approach to target ALL. Eur J Pharmacol. 2016;771:199-210 pubmed publisher..Moreover, an overview has also been provided in the current review regarding the contradiction among various researchers regarding the significance of the enzyme's glutaminase activity. ..
- Aisha N, Haroon J, Hussain S, Tahir C, Ikramullah M, Rahim H, et al. Association between tumour necrosis-Î± gene polymorphisms and acne vulgaris in a Pakistani population. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2016;41:297-301 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, patients with severe acne showed an increased frequency of mutant TNF genotypes at -308 and -238 compared with patients with less severe acne. ..
- Ahmad M, Hussain S, Rafiq Z, Tariq F, Khan M, Malik S. Management of phalangeal fractures of hand. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2006;18:38-41 pubmed..Results of both the closed reduction and open reduction and internal fixation were equally good (p < 0.05). If there is any soft tissue injury, it is advisable to use open reduction and internal fixation technique. ..
- Azam M, Khan M, Gal A, Hussain A, Shah S, Khan M, et al. A homozygous p.Glu150Lys mutation in the opsin gene of two Pakistani families with autosomal recessive retinitis pigmentosa. Mol Vis. 2009;15:2526-34 pubmed..Glu150Lys) in the RHO gene. Single nucleotide polymorphism analysis suggests that the previously reported Indian family (PMK197) and the two Pakistani families studied here share the RHO p.Glu150Lys mutation due to a common ancestry. ..
- Ali L, Mansoor A, Ahmad N, Siddiqi S, Mazhar K, Muazzam A, et al. Patient HLA-DRB1* and -DQB1* allele and haplotype association with hepatitis C virus persistence and clearance. J Gen Virol. 2010;91:1931-8 pubmed publisher..These associations of HLA with HCV persistence or clearance will be beneficial in deciding the therapeutic regimen for Pakistani patients infected with HCV genotype 3a. ..
- Habib R, Amin Ud Din M, Ahmad W. A nonsense mutation in the gene ROR2 underlying autosomal dominant brachydactyly type B. Clin Dysmorphol. 2013;22:47-50 pubmed publisher..In total, 34 individuals in this family showed features of BDB1. Sequence analysis of the gene ROR2 identified a previously reported nonsense mutation (c.2278C>T, p.Q760X) in all affected individuals of the family. ..
- Ahmed W, Ajmal M, Sadeque A, Whittall R, Rafiq S, Putt W, et al. Novel and recurrent LDLR gene mutations in Pakistani hypercholesterolemia patients. Mol Biol Rep. 2012;39:7365-72 pubmed publisher..These findings support the view that there will be a novel spectrum of mutations causing FH in patients with hypercholesterolaemia from Pakistan. ..
- Hammad M, Atta K, Manzoor M, Tariq M, Saeed Z, Masood Z, et al. Association of passive smoking with respiratory symptoms and clinical correlates, among married women, in a rural community in Islamabad. J Pak Med Assoc. 2010;60:601-4 pubmed..012). Passive smoking was found to be associated with respiratory symptoms among married women in this study. Higher pulse rate was associated with passive smoking. ..
- Khokhar N, Gill M. Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy: nine years experience in a tertiary care centre in Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc. 2005;55:108-10 pubmed..Complications were insignificant. However, patient and care giver's education could be improved for more effective tube management, and prevention of PEG insertion site infection. ..
- Yousaf S, Khan M, Micheal S, Akhtar F, Ali S, Riaz M, et al. XRCC1 and XPD DNA repair gene polymorphisms: a potential risk factor for glaucoma in the Pakistani population. Mol Vis. 2011;17:1153-63 pubmed..We postulate that defects in the DNA repair genes XRCC1 and XPD may possibly be associated with the progression of POAG in male patients of Pakistani origin. ..
- Safdar N, Hinderaker S, Baloch N, Enarson D, Khan M, Morkve O. Childhood tuberculosis deskguide and monitoring: an intervention to improve case management in Pakistan. BMC Health Serv Res. 2011;11:187 pubmed publisher..05). Childhood TB deskguide and structured monitoring was associated with improved case management and it augmented NTP policy. More development and implementation in all health services of the district are indicated. ..
- Tariq M, Chishti M, Ali G, Ahmad W. A novel locus for ectodermal dysplasia of hairs, nails and teeth type maps to chromosome 18q22.1-22.3. Ann Hum Genet. 2008;72:19-25 pubmed publisher..This study is the first step towards the identification of a gene involved in hair, nails and teeth type ED. ..
- Saeed G, Fakhar S, Rahim F, Tabassum S. Change in trend of contraceptive uptake--effect of educational leaflets and counseling. Contraception. 2008;77:377-81 pubmed publisher..1%). There is a definite increase in contraceptive uptake in women provided with educational leaflets and counseling session with a shift toward use of more reliable contraceptive methods. ..
- Khatri I, Saeed U. Cluster like headache in an elderly patient with lateral medullary infarct--does the clue lie somewhere else?. J Pak Med Assoc. 2011;61:1022-4 pubmed..The patient responded well to the treatment. This case suggests a possible link of lateral medulla to cluster like headache etiology and further emphasizes that semiology of cluster headache can be secondary to central lesions. ..
- Dad R, Malik U, Javed A, Minassian B, Hassan M. Structural annotation of Beta-1,4-N-acetyl galactosaminyltransferase 1 (B4GALNT1) causing Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia 26. Gene. 2017;626:258-263 pubmed publisher..This in-silico analysis of B4GALNT1 protein will provide the basis for the further studies on structural variations and biological pathways involving B4GALNT1 in the HSP26. ..
- Naeem M, Jelani M, Lee K, Ali G, Chishti M, Wali A, et al. Ectodermal dysplasia of hair and nail type: mapping of a novel locus to chromosome 17p12-q21.2. Br J Dermatol. 2006;155:1184-90 pubmed
- Micheal S, Qamar R, Akhtar F, Khan M, Khan W, Ahmed A. MTHFR gene C677T and A1298C polymorphisms and homocysteine levels in primary open angle and primary closed angle glaucoma. Mol Vis. 2009;15:2268-78 pubmed..The TT and AC genotypes of MTHFR C677T and A1298C polymorphisms and the combined genotype TTAC were associated with PCAG in Punjabi subjects of Pakistani origin and correlated with the high serum tHcy levels seen in these patients. ..
- Jelani M, Kang C, Mohamoud H, Al Rehaili R, Almramhi M, Serafi R, et al. A novel homozygous PTH1R variant identified through whole-exome sequencing further expands the clinical spectrum of primary failure of tooth eruption in a consanguineous Saudi family. Arch Oral Biol. 2016;67:28-33 pubmed publisher..Our findings prove the application of WES as an efficient molecular diagnostics tool for this rare phenotype and further broaden the clinical spectrum of PTH1R pathogenicity. ..