Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on wistar rats in Oslo, Norway
Locale: Oslo, Norway
Topic: wistar rats
- Wang Y, Dahle M, Agren J, Myhre A, Reinholt F, Foster S, et al. Activation of the liver X receptor protects against hepatic injury in endotoxemia by suppressing Kupffer cell activation. Shock. 2006;25:141-6 pubmed..In conclusion, this study demonstrates that activation of LXR by GW3965 protects against liver injury and dysfunction in a rat model of endotoxemia, in part by exerting an anti-inflammatory effect on Kupffer cells. ..
- Bains R, Moe M, Vinje M, Berg Johnsen J. Sevoflurane and propofol depolarize mitochondria in rat and human cerebrocortical synaptosomes by different mechanisms. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2009;53:1354-60 pubmed publisher..Whereas sevoflurane inhibits the respiratory chain sufficiently to cause ATP synthase reversal, the depolarizing effect of propofol seems to be related to inhibition of the respiratory chain from complex I to V. ..
- Stuenaes J, Bolling A, Ingvaldsen A, Rommundstad C, Sudar E, Lin F, et al. Beta-adrenoceptor stimulation potentiates insulin-stimulated PKB phosphorylation in rat cardiomyocytes via cAMP and PKA. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;160:116-29 pubmed publisher..beta-adrenoceptors are strong regulators of PKB phosphorylation via cAMP and PKA when insulin is present. We hypothesize that PKB mediates important signalling in the heart during beta-adrenergic receptors stimulation. ..
- Kalhovde J, Jerkovic R, Sefland I, Cordonnier C, Calabria E, Schiaffino S, et al. "Fast" and "slow" muscle fibres in hindlimb muscles of adult rats regenerate from intrinsically different satellite cells. J Physiol. 2005;562:847-57 pubmed..However, induction by different extrinsic factors arising in extracellular matrix or from muscle position and usage in the limb has not been excluded. No evidence for nerve-derived trophic influences was obtained. ..
- Kjeken R, Mousavi S, Brech A, Griffiths G, Berg T. Wortmannin-sensitive trafficking steps in the endocytic pathway in rat liver endothelial cells. Biochem J. 2001;357:497-503 pubmed..Transport of ligand from endosomes to lysosomes was prevented, leading to increased recycling of internalized ligand. Wortmannin treatment released the Rab5 effector EEA1 from the endosomes and caused reduced size of early endosomes. ..
- Bergersen L, Magistretti P, Pellerin L. Selective postsynaptic co-localization of MCT2 with AMPA receptor GluR2/3 subunits at excitatory synapses exhibiting AMPA receptor trafficking. Cereb Cortex. 2005;15:361-70 pubmed..Altogether, the data presented provide evidence for MCT2 expression in the postsynaptic density area at specific subsets of glutamatergic synapses, and also suggest that MCT2, like AMPA receptors, could undergo membrane trafficking. ..
- Sorbo J, Moe S, Ottersen O, Holen T. The molecular composition of square arrays. Biochemistry. 2008;47:2631-7 pubmed publisher..The visualization AQP4 square arrays by a rapid, biochemical assay provides new insight in the molecular organization of square arrays and gives further proof of the heterogeneity of AQP4 square arrays in vivo. ..
- Hassel B, Taubøll E, Shaw R, Gjerstad L, Dingledine R. Region-specific changes in gene expression in rat brain after chronic treatment with levetiracetam or phenytoin. Epilepsia. 2010;51:1714-20 pubmed publisher..Regional effects on gene expression could reflect regional differences in molecular targets of AEDs, and they could influence the clinical profiles of AEDs. ..
- Husberg C, Nygard S, Finsen A, Damas J, Frigessi A, Oie E, et al. Cytokine expression profiling of the myocardium reveals a role for CX3CL1 (fractalkine) in heart failure. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2008;45:261-9 pubmed publisher..Given the increased CX3CL1 production in both an experimental HF model and in patients with chronic HF as well as its direct effects on cardiomyocytes, we suggest a role for CX3CL1 and its receptor CX3CR1 in the pathogenesis of HF. ..
- Lai Y, Zarrinpashneh E, Jensen J. Additive effect of contraction and insulin on glucose uptake and glycogen synthase in muscle with different glycogen contents. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2010;108:1106-15 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, contraction, insulin, and glycogen content all regulate GS Ser641 phosphorylation and GS fractional activity in concert. ..
- Andersen G, Skomedal T, Enger M, Fidjeland A, Brattelid T, Levy F, et al. Alpha1-AR-mediated activation of NKCC in rat cardiomyocytes involves ERK-dependent phosphorylation of the cotransporter. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004;286:H1354-60 pubmed..We conclude that the NKCC is present in rat cardiomyocytes and that ion transport by the cotransporter is regulated by alpha(1)-AR stimulation through phosphorylation of this protein involving the ERK pathway. ..
- Jensen V, Rinholm J, Johansen T, Medin T, Storm Mathisen J, Sagvolden T, et al. N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor subunit dysfunction at hippocampal glutamatergic synapses in an animal model of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Neuroscience. 2009;158:353-64 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that functional impairments in glutamatergic synaptic transmission may be one of the underlying mechanisms leading to the abnormal behavior in SHR, and possibly in human ADHD. ..
- Sporstøl M, Tapia G, Malerød L, Mousavi S, Berg T. Pregnane X receptor-agonists down-regulate hepatic ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 and scavenger receptor class B type I. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;331:1533-41 pubmed..Thus, PXR appears to be a regulator of hepatic cholesterol transport by inhibiting genes central to cholesterol uptake (SR-BI) and efflux (ABCA1)...
- Brennesvik E, Ktori C, Ruzzin J, Jebens E, Shepherd P, Jensen J. Adrenaline potentiates insulin-stimulated PKB activation via cAMP and Epac: implications for cross talk between insulin and adrenaline. Cell Signal. 2005;17:1551-9 pubmed..Furthermore, the fact that adrenaline alone did not activate PKB or p70(S6K) suggests that a hormone can be a potent regulator of signalling despite no effects being seen when co-activators are lacking. ..
- Jensen J, Aslesen R, Jebens E, Skrondal A. Adrenaline-mediated glycogen phosphorylase activation is enhanced in rat soleus muscle with increased glycogen content. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1472:215-21 pubmed..Glycogen phosphorylase activation during adrenaline stimulation was much higher in epitrochlearis than in soleus muscles with a similar content of glycogen. ..
- Lai Y, Stuenaes J, Kuo C, Jensen J. Glycogen content and contraction regulate glycogen synthase phosphorylation and affinity for UDP-glucose in rat skeletal muscles. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007;293:E1622-9 pubmed..Contraction increases GS affinity for UDP-glucose independently of glycogen content and creates a unique phosphorylation pattern. ..
- Mylonakou M, Petersen P, Rinvik E, Rojek A, Valdimarsdottir E, Zelenin S, et al. Analysis of mice with targeted deletion of AQP9 gene provides conclusive evidence for expression of AQP9 in neurons. J Neurosci Res. 2009;87:1310-22 pubmed publisher..The present data provide conclusive evidence for the presence of tetrameric AQP9 in brain and for the expression of AQP9 in neurons. ..
- Yndestad A, Landrø L, Ueland T, Dahl C, Flo T, Vinge L, et al. Increased systemic and myocardial expression of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin in clinical and experimental heart failure. Eur Heart J. 2009;30:1229-36 pubmed publisher..Our demonstration of enhanced systemic and myocardial NGAL expression in clinical and experimental HF further support a role for innate immune responses in the pathogenesis of HF. ..
- Iversen P, Nicolaysen G, Sioud M. DNA enzyme targeting TNF-alpha mRNA improves hemodynamic performance in rats with postinfarction heart failure. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;281:H2211-7 pubmed..Our findings indicate that DNA enzyme-based therapy may hold promise in the treatment of this debilitating disease...
- Tønnessen T, Florholmen G, Henriksen U, Christensen G. Cardiopulmonary alterations in mRNA expression for interleukin-1beta, the interleukin-6 superfamily and CXC-chemokines during development of postischaemic heart failure in the rat. Clin Physiol Funct Imaging. 2003;23:263-8 pubmed..Our novel findings of increased cardiac CNTF and cardiopulmonary MCP-1 mRNA indicate a role for these factors in the pathogenesis of HF. ..
- Guren T, Ødegård J, Abrahamsen H, Thoresen G, Susa M, Andersson Y, et al. EGF receptor-mediated, c-Src-dependent, activation of Stat5b is downregulated in mitogenically responsive hepatocytes. J Cell Physiol. 2003;196:113-23 pubmed..The data also provide further evidence that Stat5b is not required for mitogenic signaling from the EGF receptor. ..
- Boulland J, Rafiki A, Levy L, Storm Mathisen J, Chaudhry F. Highly differential expression of SN1, a bidirectional glutamine transporter, in astroglia and endothelium in the developing rat brain. Glia. 2003;41:260-75 pubmed..This study suggests that the expression of SN1 is highly regulated, correlating with the demand for glutamine during the critical period of development. ..
- Bezakova G, Lømo T. Muscle activity and muscle agrin regulate the organization of cytoskeletal proteins and attached acetylcholine receptor (AchR) aggregates in skeletal muscle fibers. J Cell Biol. 2001;153:1453-63 pubmed..The results indicate that costameres are plastic structures whose organization depends on electrical muscle activity and/or muscle agrin. ..
- Vinge L, Andressen K, Attramadal T, Andersen G, Ahmed M, Peppel K, et al. Substrate specificities of g protein-coupled receptor kinase-2 and -3 at cardiac myocyte receptors provide basis for distinct roles in regulation of myocardial function. Mol Pharmacol. 2007;72:582-91 pubmed
- Nicolaysen A, Gammelsaeter R, Storm Mathisen J, Gundersen V, Iversen P. The components required for amino acid neurotransmitter signaling are present in adipose tissues. J Lipid Res. 2007;48:2123-32 pubmed..The presence of glutamate, GABA, their vesicular transporters, and their receptors indicates a paracrine signaling role for amino acids in adipose tissues. ..
- Birkeland J, Swift F, Tovsrud N, Enger U, Lunde P, Qvigstad E, et al. Serotonin increases L-type Ca2+ current and SR Ca2+ content through 5-HT4 receptors in failing rat ventricular cardiomyocytes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;293:H2367-76 pubmed..5-HT(2A)-receptor stimulation, previously studied in acute CHF, induces a positive inotropic response also in chronic CHF, probably mediated by MLC2 phosphorylation. ..
- Dajani O, Meisdalen K, Guren T, Aasrum M, Tveteraas I, Lilleby P, et al. Prostaglandin E2 upregulates EGF-stimulated signaling in mitogenic pathways involving Akt and ERK in hepatocytes. J Cell Physiol. 2008;214:371-80 pubmed..These effects seem to be at least in part G(i) protein-mediated and include upregulation of signaling in the PI3K/Akt and the Ras/ERK pathways. ..
- Utvik J, Haglerød C, Mylonakou M, Holen T, Kropf M, Hirling H, et al. Neuronal enriched endosomal protein of 21 kDa colocalizes with glutamate receptor subunit GLUR2/3 at the postsynaptic membrane. Neuroscience. 2009;158:96-104 pubmed publisher..Our findings are consistent with a role for NEEP21 in facilitating vesicular transport of GluR2 between intracellular compartments and the postsynaptic plasma membrane. ..
- Afzal F, Andressen K, Mørk H, Aronsen J, Sjaastad I, Dahl C, et al. 5-HT4-elicited positive inotropic response is mediated by cAMP and regulated by PDE3 in failing rat and human cardiac ventricles. Br J Pharmacol. 2008;155:1005-14 pubmed publisher..5-HT, PDE3 and PDE4 may have pathophysiological functions in heart failure. ..
- Wierød L, Rosseland C, Lindeman B, Oksvold M, Grøsvik H, Skarpen E, et al. Activation of the p53-p21(Cip1) pathway is required for CDK2 activation and S-phase entry in primary rat hepatocytes. Oncogene. 2008;27:2763-71 pubmed..In conclusion, our results demonstrate that in normal hepatocytes, EGF-induced expression of p53 is involved in regulating CDK2- and CDK4 activity, through p21(Cip1) expression. ..
- Holten A, Gundersen V. Glutamine as a precursor for transmitter glutamate, aspartate and GABA in the cerebellum: a role for phosphate-activated glutaminase. J Neurochem. 2008;104:1032-42 pubmed..Alternatively, the amino acids could be produced from the liver type of glutaminase, which is not yet localized on the cellular level, or from an unknown glutminase. ..
- Jensen J, Brennesvik E, Lai Y, Shepherd P. GSK-3beta regulation in skeletal muscles by adrenaline and insulin: evidence that PKA and PKB regulate different pools of GSK-3. Cell Signal. 2007;19:204-10 pubmed..Further, we hypothesise that each of these pools is involved in the control of different cellular processes. ..
- Boulland J, Ferhat L, Tallak Solbu T, Ferrand N, Chaudhry F, Storm Mathisen J, et al. Changes in vesicular transporters for gamma-aminobutyric acid and glutamate reveal vulnerability and reorganization of hippocampal neurons following pilocarpine-induced seizures. J Comp Neurol. 2007;503:466-85 pubmed
- Iversen P, Berggreen E, Nicolaysen G, Heyeraas K. Regulation of extracellular volume and interstitial fluid pressure in rat bone marrow. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;280:H1807-13 pubmed..The responses of IVV, IFV, and IFP during changes in blood flow to the bone marrow suggest a tight regulation and are thus compatible with those for a low-compliant tissue...
- Malerød L, Juvet K, Gjøen T, Berg T. The expression of scavenger receptor class B, type I (SR-BI) and caveolin-1 in parenchymal and nonparenchymal liver cells. Cell Tissue Res. 2002;307:173-80 pubmed..Caveolin-1 was not detected in PC but was found in both LEC and KC. This led to the suggestion that caveolin-1 may be more important in the efflux of cholesterol than in the selective uptake of cholesterol in the liver. ..
- Rafiki A, Boulland J, Halestrap A, Ottersen O, Bergersen L. Highly differential expression of the monocarboxylate transporters MCT2 and MCT4 in the developing rat brain. Neuroscience. 2003;122:677-88 pubmed..Our results are consistent with previous data suggesting that in the immature brain much of the energy demand is met by monocarboxylates and ketone bodies. ..
- Jensen J, Sharikabad M, Østbye K, Melien Ø, Brørs O. Evidence that nitroprusside stimulates glucose uptake in isolated rat cardiomyocytes via mitogen-activated protein kinase. Arch Physiol Biochem. 2003;111:239-45 pubmed..In conclusion, high SNP concentrations dose-dependently stimulate glucose uptake in cardiomyocytes and our data suggest a role for MAPK signalling, but not PI-3-kinase and soluble guanylate cyclase, in stimulation of glucose uptake...
- Qvigstad E, Sjaastad I, Brattelid T, Nunn C, Swift F, Birkeland J, et al. Dual serotonergic regulation of ventricular contractile force through 5-HT2A and 5-HT4 receptors induced in the acute failing heart. Circ Res. 2005;97:268-76 pubmed..Ca2+ transients were slightly decreased by 5-HT2A stimulation. The acute failing rat ventricle is, thus, dually regulated by serotonin through Gq-coupled 5-HT2A receptors and Gs-coupled 5-HT4 receptors. ..
- Andersen G, Oie E, Vinge L, Yndestad A, Attramadal H, Skomedal T, et al. Increased expression and function of the myocardial Na-K-2Cl cotransporter in failing rat hearts. Basic Res Cardiol. 2006;101:471-8 pubmed..05). Thus, our data indicate cardiomyocyte specific increase in NKCC mRNA levels and increased NKCC activity in post-infarction heart failure. Our results may indicate a potential role of NKCC during post-infarction remodeling. ..
- Wierød L, Rosseland C, Lindeman B, Oksvold M, Grøsvik H, Skarpen E, et al. CDK2 regulation through PI3K and CDK4 is necessary for cell cycle progression of primary rat hepatocytes. Cell Prolif. 2007;40:475-87 pubmed..These results also suggest that, in addition to regulating cyclin D1 expression, PI3K is involved in regulation of nuclear shuttling of cyclin-CDK complexes in G(1) phase. ..
- Finsnes F, Lyberg T, Christensen G, Skjønsberg O. Effect of endothelin antagonism on the production of cytokines in eosinophilic airway inflammation. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2001;280:L659-65 pubmed..Whether treatment with ET antagonists will prove beneficial for patients with eosinophilic airway inflammations like bronchial asthma is not yet known...
- Melien O, Christoffersen T, Sioud M. Evidence for the involvement of Gi2 in activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinases in hepatocytes. BMC Cell Biol. 2001;2:13 pubmed..The present data suggest an important role of Gi2 in PGF2alpha -induced ERK1/2 signaling in hepatocytes. ..
- Swift F, Tovsrud N, Enger U, Sjaastad I, Sejersted O. The Na+/K+-ATPase alpha2-isoform regulates cardiac contractility in rat cardiomyocytes. Cardiovasc Res. 2007;75:109-17 pubmed..The alpha2-isoform of the NKA is functionally coupled to the NCX and can regulate Ca2+ handling without changing global [Na+]i. ..
- Ueland T, Yndestad A, Øie E, Florholmen G, Halvorsen B, Frøland S, et al. Dysregulated osteoprotegerin/RANK ligand/RANK axis in clinical and experimental heart failure. Circulation. 2005;111:2461-8 pubmed..These findings suggest a potential role for known mediators of bone homeostasis in the pathogenesis of HF and possibly represents new targets for therapeutic intervention in this disorder. ..
- Wasserstrom J, Holt E, Sjaastad I, Lunde P, Odegaard A, Sejersted O. Altered E-C coupling in rat ventricular myocytes from failing hearts 6 wk after MI. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2000;279:H798-807 pubmed..These results suggest significant changes in E-C coupling in the hypertrophy and failure that develop in response to extensive MI...
- Rakkestad K, Holme J, Paulsen R, Schwarze P, Becher R. Mono(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate induces both pro- and anti-inflammatory responses in rat alveolar macrophages through crosstalk between p38, the lipoxygenase pathway and PPARalpha. Inhal Toxicol. 2010;22:140-50 pubmed publisher..This indicates that MEPH-PPARalpha binding mediates an anti-inflammatory signal...
- Brattelid T, Qvigstad E, Birkeland J, Swift F, Bekkevold S, Krobert K, et al. Serotonin responsiveness through 5-HT2A and 5-HT4 receptors is differentially regulated in hypertrophic and failing rat cardiac ventricle. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2007;43:767-79 pubmed..While the 5-HT(2A)-mediated PIR is linearly correlated with the degree of hypertrophy, the 5-HT(4)-mediated PIR seems to increase with LV dilatation, as also seen in postinfarction CHF. ..
- Mousavi S, Sato M, Sporstøl M, Smedsrød B, Berg T, Kojima N, et al. Uptake of denatured collagen into hepatic stellate cells: evidence for the involvement of urokinase plasminogen activator receptor-associated protein/Endo180. Biochem J. 2005;387:39-46 pubmed..These results together suggest that uPARAP/Endo180 mediates endocytosis of collagen in rat liver stellate cells. ..
- Hassel B, Iversen E, Gjerstad L, Taubøll E. Up-regulation of hippocampal glutamate transport during chronic treatment with sodium valproate. J Neurochem. 2001;77:1285-92 pubmed..The results show that hippocampal glutamate transport is an accessible target for pharmacological intervention and that sodium valproate may have a role in the treatment of excitotoxic states in the hippocampus...
- Roberg B, Torgner I, Laake J, Takumi Y, Ottersen O, Kvamme E. Properties and submitochondrial localization of pig and rat renal phosphate-activated glutaminase. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2000;279:C648-57 pubmed..The activity of this pool of PAG appears to be regulated by compounds in the cytosol, of which glutamate may be most important...
- Lai Y, Lin F, Jensen J. Glycogen content regulates insulin- but not contraction-mediated glycogen synthase activation in the rat slow-twitch soleus muscles. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2009;197:139-50 pubmed publisher..Glycogen content regulates insulin- but not contraction-stimulated GS activation and glycogen synthesis in soleus muscles. Furthermore, phosphorylation of GS Ser(641) and Ser(645,649,653,657) seems to regulate GS activity in soleus. ..
- Risnes S, Septier D, Deville de Periere D, Goldberg M. TEM observations on the ameloblast/enamel interface in the rat incisor. Connect Tissue Res. 2002;43:496-504 pubmed..Prism crystals were oriented obliquely or parallel to the secretory surface of Tomes' process. At interprism growth sites matrix deposition was irregular and required some redistribution to conform to the pattern of interprism sheets...
- Øie E, Ahmed M, Ueland T, Sikkeland L, Dahl C, Hagelin E, et al. Adrenomedullin is increased in alveolar macrophages and released from the lungs into the circulation in severe heart failure. Basic Res Cardiol. 2010;105:89-98 pubmed publisher..Finally, a net release of AM from the lungs into the circulation was only found in patients with severe systolic dysfunction...
- Andersson K, Florholmen G, Winer L, Tønnessen T, Christensen G. Regulation of neuronal type genes in congestive heart failure rats. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2006;186:17-27 pubmed..These neuronal type genes may participate in underlying processes that affect contractility, intracardiac nerve function and development of arrhythmias in CHF hearts. ..