Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on skeletal muscle in Oslo, Norway
Locale: Oslo, Norway
Topic: skeletal muscle
- Bø K, Braekken I, Majida M, Engh M. Constriction of the levator hiatus during instruction of pelvic floor or transversus abdominis contraction: a 4D ultrasound study. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2009;20:27-32 pubmed publisher..0%; range 6.1-49.2%). In two patients, there was an increase of the levator hiatus area during TrA contraction. Instruction of PFM contraction is more effective than TrA contraction. ..
- Matre D, Arendt Neilsen L, Knardahl S. Effects of localization and intensity of experimental muscle pain on ankle joint proprioception. Eur J Pain. 2002;6:245-60 pubmed..The present findings indicate that human ankle proprioception is rather robust to muscle pain. ..
- Kalhovde J, Jerkovic R, Sefland I, Cordonnier C, Calabria E, Schiaffino S, et al. "Fast" and "slow" muscle fibres in hindlimb muscles of adult rats regenerate from intrinsically different satellite cells. J Physiol. 2005;562:847-57 pubmed..However, induction by different extrinsic factors arising in extracellular matrix or from muscle position and usage in the limb has not been excluded. No evidence for nerve-derived trophic influences was obtained. ..
- Jensen J, Lai Y. Regulation of muscle glycogen synthase phosphorylation and kinetic properties by insulin, exercise, adrenaline and role in insulin resistance. Arch Physiol Biochem. 2009;115:13-21 pubmed publisher..In this paper we discuss the physiological regulation of glycogen synthase phosphorylation and how the phosphorylation pattern regulates glycogen synthase kinetic properties. ..
- Jensen J, Ruzzin J, Jebens E, Brennesvik E, Knardahl S. Improved insulin-stimulated glucose uptake and glycogen synthase activation in rat skeletal muscles after adrenaline infusion: role of glycogen content and PKB phosphorylation. Acta Physiol Scand. 2005;184:121-30 pubmed..The mechanisms for the improved insulin sensitivity after adrenaline treatment deserve particular attention as they occur in conjunction with hyperglycaemia. ..
- Jensen J, Jebens E, Brennesvik E, Ruzzin J, Soos M, Engebretsen E, et al. Muscle glycogen inharmoniously regulates glycogen synthase activity, glucose uptake, and proximal insulin signaling. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2006;290:E154-E162 pubmed..quot;Insulin resistance" is observed at the level of glycogen synthase, and the reduced glycogen synthesis leads to increased levels of glucose 6-phosphate, glycolytic flux, and accumulation of nonphosphorylated 2-deoxyglucose. ..
- Dahlgren S, Gjerde B, Skirnisson K, Gudmundsdottir B. Morphological and molecular identification of three species of Sarcocystis in reindeer (Rangifer tarandus tarandus) in Iceland. Vet Parasitol. 2007;149:191-8 pubmed..DNA sequencing was useful in order to identify cysts with an ambiguous morphology. This is the first record of these Sarcocystis species in reindeer outside Norway...
- Lai Y, Stuenaes J, Kuo C, Jensen J. Glycogen content and contraction regulate glycogen synthase phosphorylation and affinity for UDP-glucose in rat skeletal muscles. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007;293:E1622-9 pubmed..Contraction increases GS affinity for UDP-glucose independently of glycogen content and creates a unique phosphorylation pattern. ..
- Brennesvik E, Ktori C, Ruzzin J, Jebens E, Shepherd P, Jensen J. Adrenaline potentiates insulin-stimulated PKB activation via cAMP and Epac: implications for cross talk between insulin and adrenaline. Cell Signal. 2005;17:1551-9 pubmed..Furthermore, the fact that adrenaline alone did not activate PKB or p70(S6K) suggests that a hormone can be a potent regulator of signalling despite no effects being seen when co-activators are lacking. ..
- Lai Y, Lin F, Jensen J. Glycogen content regulates insulin- but not contraction-mediated glycogen synthase activation in the rat slow-twitch soleus muscles. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2009;197:139-50 pubmed publisher..Glycogen content regulates insulin- but not contraction-stimulated GS activation and glycogen synthesis in soleus muscles. Furthermore, phosphorylation of GS Ser(641) and Ser(645,649,653,657) seems to regulate GS activity in soleus. ..
- Jensen J, Brennesvik E, Lai Y, Shepherd P. GSK-3beta regulation in skeletal muscles by adrenaline and insulin: evidence that PKA and PKB regulate different pools of GSK-3. Cell Signal. 2007;19:204-10 pubmed..Further, we hypothesise that each of these pools is involved in the control of different cellular processes. ..
- Bezakova G, Lømo T. Muscle activity and muscle agrin regulate the organization of cytoskeletal proteins and attached acetylcholine receptor (AchR) aggregates in skeletal muscle fibers. J Cell Biol. 2001;153:1453-63 pubmed..The results indicate that costameres are plastic structures whose organization depends on electrical muscle activity and/or muscle agrin. ..
- Sejersted O, Sjøgaard G. Dynamics and consequences of potassium shifts in skeletal muscle and heart during exercise. Physiol Rev. 2000;80:1411-81 pubmed
- Glover J. Development of specific connectivity between premotor neurons and motoneurons in the brain stem and spinal cord. Physiol Rev. 2000;80:615-47 pubmed..It is hoped that this review will provide a guide to understanding both the existing literature and the advances that await this rapidly developing topic...
- Keller A, Johansen J, Hellesnes J, Brox J. Predictors of isokinetic back muscle strength in patients with low back pain. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1999;24:275-80 pubmed..For assessing the results of an isokinetic trunk muscle strength test, cross-sectional muscle area, gender, and pain on exertion should be taken into account. ..
- Maagaard A, Holberg Petersen M, Kollberg G, Oldfors A, Sandvik L, Bruun J. Mitochondrial (mt)DNA changes in tissue may not be reflected by depletion of mtDNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells in HIV-infected patients. Antivir Ther. 2006;11:601-8 pubmed
- Sauter A, Dodgson M, Stubhaug A, Cvancarova M, Klaastad O. Ultrasound controlled nerve stimulation in the elbow region: high currents and short distances needed to obtain motor responses. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2007;51:942-8 pubmed..High current thresholds and short nerve-to-needle distances were often needed to obtain neuromuscular responses in two nerves in the elbow region. ..
- Arnason A, Andersen T, Holme I, Engebretsen L, Bahr R. Prevention of hamstring strains in elite soccer: an intervention study. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2008;18:40-8 pubmed..These results should be verified in randomized clinical trials...
- Sterud E. In vitro cultivation and temperature-dependent growth of two strains of Spironucleus barkhanus (Diplomonadida: Hexamitidae) from Atlantic salmon Salmo salar and grayling Thymallus thymallus. Dis Aquat Organ. 1998;33:57-61 pubmed
- Bruusgaard J, Liestøl K, Gundersen K. Distribution of myonuclei and microtubules in live muscle fibers of young, middle-aged, and old mice. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2006;100:2024-30 pubmed..Thus changes in myonuclear number and distribution, perhaps related to alterations in the microtubular network, may underlie some of the adverse consequences of aging on skeletal muscle size and function...
- Sevatdal S, Magnusson A, Ingebrigtsen K, Haldorsen R, Horsberg T. Distribution of emamectin benzoate in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2005;28:101-7 pubmed..The distribution study confirmed the results from the elimination study with respect to concentrations in blood, skin mucous and muscle. ..
- Handeland K, Gibbons L. Aspects of the life cycle and pathogenesis of Elaphostrongylus alces in moose (Alces alces). J Parasitol. 2001;87:1054-7 pubmed..Here the nematodes seem to live in reproductive pairs and groups. The predilection site for E. alces in moose is the muscles of the thigh...
- Dahlgren S, Gjerde B. Genetic characterisation of six Sarcocystis species from reindeer (Rangifer tarandus tarandus) in Norway based on the small subunit rRNA gene. Vet Parasitol. 2007;146:204-13 pubmed
- Lauritzen F, Paulsen G, Raastad T, Bergersen L, Owe S. Gross ultrastructural changes and necrotic fiber segments in elbow flexor muscles after maximal voluntary eccentric action in humans. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2009;107:1923-34 pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrates that the more severe end of the continuum of ultrastructural changes occurs in humans after voluntary exercise when maximal eccentric muscle actions are involved...
- Aldrin M, Storvik B, Frigessi A, Viljugrein H, Jansen P. A stochastic model for the assessment of the transmission pathways of heart and skeleton muscle inflammation, pancreas disease and infectious salmon anaemia in marine fish farms in Norway. Prev Vet Med. 2010;93:51-61 pubmed publisher..This comparative study highlights that the three diseases have different patterns of spread, with important consequences for disease prevention and management. ..
- Bønsdorff T, Gautier M, Farstad W, Rønningen K, Lingaas F, Olsaker I. Mapping of the bovine genes of the de novo AMP synthesis pathway. Anim Genet. 2004;35:438-44 pubmed..The seven bovine genes are expressed at a higher level in testicular and ovary tissues compared with skeletal muscle. ..
- Jensen J, Aslesen R, Jebens E, Skrondal A. Adrenaline-mediated glycogen phosphorylase activation is enhanced in rat soleus muscle with increased glycogen content. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1472:215-21 pubmed..Glycogen phosphorylase activation during adrenaline stimulation was much higher in epitrochlearis than in soleus muscles with a similar content of glycogen. ..
- Bezakova G, Helm J, Francolini M, Lømo T. Effects of purified recombinant neural and muscle agrin on skeletal muscle fibers in vivo. J Cell Biol. 2001;153:1441-52 pubmed..Thus, the present approach provides a novel, simple, and efficient method for studying the effects of agrin on muscle under controlled conditions in vivo. ..
- Tveter A, Holm I. Influence of thigh muscle strength and balance on hop length in one-legged hopping in children aged 7-12 years. Gait Posture. 2010;32:259-62 pubmed publisher..Static balance and gender did not contribute significantly. Of the measurements investigated in this study, age and thigh muscle strength are the strongest predictors for hop length in one-legged hopping skills in children. ..