Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on dna repair in Oslo, Norway
Locale: Oslo, Norway
Topic: dna repair
- Lorenz S, BarÃ¸y T, Sun J, Nome T, VodÃ¡k D, Bryne J, et al. Unscrambling the genomic chaos of osteosarcoma reveals extensive transcript fusion, recurrent rearrangements and frequent novel TP53 aberrations. Oncotarget. 2016;7:5273-88 pubmed publisher..For the first time the genomic chaos of osteosarcoma is characterized so thoroughly and delivered new insights in mechanisms involved in osteosarcoma development and may contribute to new diagnostic and therapeutic strategies. ..
- Brevik A, Rusnakova V, Duale N, Slagsvold H, Olsen A, Storeng R, et al. Preconceptional paternal glycidamide exposure affects embryonic gene expression: single embryo gene expression study following in vitro fertilization. Reprod Toxicol. 2011;32:463-71 pubmed publisher..Compared to controls paternal GA-exposure gave rise to an altered pattern of embryonic gene expression, with an initial reduced expression at early stages followed by increased expression at the 8-cell stage. ..
- Day F, Ruth K, Thompson D, Lunetta K, Pervjakova N, Chasman D, et al. Large-scale genomic analyses link reproductive aging to hypothalamic signaling, breast cancer susceptibility and BRCA1-mediated DNA repair. Nat Genet. 2015;47:1294-1303 pubmed publisher..Mendelian randomization analyses supported a causal effect of later ANM on breast cancer risk (∼6% increase in risk per year; P = 3 × 10(-14)), likely mediated by prolonged sex hormone exposure rather than DDR mechanisms. ..
- Dalhus B, Nilsen L, Korvald H, Huffman J, Forstr m R, McMurray C, et al. Sculpting of DNA at abasic sites by DNA glycosylase homolog mag2. Structure. 2013;21:154-166 pubmed publisher..Consequently, the molecular role of Mag2 appears to be AP site recognition and protection, while possibly facilitating damage signaling by structurally sculpting the DNA substrate...
- Vik E, Alseth I, Forsbring M, Helle I, Morland I, Luna L, et al. Biochemical mapping of human NEIL1 DNA glycosylase and AP lyase activities. DNA Repair (Amst). 2012;11:766-73 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Pro2 and Lys54 are both essential for the concerted action of the ?,?-elimination in NEIL1. ..
- Luna L, Bjørås M, Hoff E, Rognes T, Seeberg E. Cell-cycle regulation, intracellular sorting and induced overexpression of the human NTH1 DNA glycosylase involved in removal of formamidopyrimidine residues from DNA. Mutat Res. 2000;460:95-104 pubmed..Studies with synchronised cells showed that the expression of hNTH1 is regulated during the cell cycle with increased transcription during early and mid S-phase. ..
- Fensgård Ø, Kassahun H, Bombik I, Rognes T, Lindvall J, Nilsen H. A two-tiered compensatory response to loss of DNA repair modulates aging and stress response pathways. Aging (Albany NY). 2010;2:133-59 pubmed..Hence, our data strongly suggests that the DNA lesions relevant for aging are repair intermediates resulting from aberrant or attempted processing by BER of lesions normally repaired by NER. ..
- Hansen S, Olsen A, Søderlund E, Brunborg G. In vitro investigations of glycidamide-induced DNA lesions in mouse male germ cells and in mouse and human lymphocytes. Mutat Res. 2010;696:55-61 pubmed publisher..The usefulness of the comet assay in combination with DNA-repair enzymes is demonstrated. ..
- van den Born E, Bekkelund A, Moen M, Omelchenko M, Klungland A, Falnes P. Bioinformatics and functional analysis define four distinct groups of AlkB DNA-dioxygenases in bacteria. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:7124-36 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that the majority, if not all, of the bacterial AlkB proteins are DNA repair enzymes, and that some of these proteins do not primarily target methylated bases. ..
- Olsen I, Balasingham S, Davidsen T, Debebe E, R dland E, van Soolingen D, et al. Characterization of the major formamidopyrimidine-DNA glycosylase homolog in Mycobacterium tuberculosis and its linkage to variable tandem repeats. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2009;56:151-61 pubmed publisher..This is the first example of such a tandem repeat region of variable length being linked to the expression level of a bacterial gene...
- Larsen E, Meza T, Kleppa L, Klungland A. Organ and cell specificity of base excision repair mutants in mice. Mutat Res. 2007;614:56-68 pubmed..These models should comprise combined deficiencies of DNA glycosylases which initiate the BER pathway, to elaborate on the repair redundancy, as well as conditional models of the intermediate steps of BER. ..
- Falnes P. Repair of 3-methylthymine and 1-methylguanine lesions by bacterial and human AlkB proteins. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:6260-7 pubmed..Our data show that 3-meT and 1-meG are repaired by AlkB, but indicate that the recognition of these substrates is different from that in the case of 1-meA and 3-meC. ..
- Zienolddiny S, Campa D, Lind H, Ryberg D, Skaug V, Stangeland L, et al. Polymorphisms of DNA repair genes and risk of non-small cell lung cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2006;27:560-7 pubmed
- Holme J, Søderlund E. Modulation of genotoxic and cytotoxic effects of aromatic amines in monolayers of rat hepatocytes. Cell Biol Toxicol. 1984;1:95-110 pubmed
- Ringvoll J, Nordstrand L, Vågbø C, Talstad V, Reite K, Aas P, et al. Repair deficient mice reveal mABH2 as the primary oxidative demethylase for repairing 1meA and 3meC lesions in DNA. EMBO J. 2006;25:2189-98 pubmed..Our data suggest that mABH2 and mABH3 have different roles in the defense against alkylating agents. ..
- Yuzefovych L, Kahn A, Schuler M, Eide L, Arora R, Wilson G, et al. Mitochondrial DNA Repair through OGG1 Activity Attenuates Breast Cancer Progression and Metastasis. Cancer Res. 2016;76:30-4 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our findings offer new therapeutic strategies for modulating the levels of mtDNA repair enzymes to delay or stall metastatic progression. ..
- Morland I, Rolseth V, Luna L, Rognes T, Bjørås M, Seeberg E. Human DNA glycosylases of the bacterial Fpg/MutM superfamily: an alternative pathway for the repair of 8-oxoguanine and other oxidation products in DNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2002;30:4926-36 pubmed..It thus appears that hFPG1 has properties similar to mammalian OGG1 in preventing mutations arising from misincorporation of A across 8-oxoG and could function as a back-up repair activity for OGG1 in ogg1(-/-) mice. ..
- Collins A, Azqueta A. DNA repair as a biomarker in human biomonitoring studies; further applications of the comet assay. Mutat Res. 2012;736:122-9 pubmed publisher..Exposure to genotoxic agents has in general not been found to stimulate repair. Crucial questions concerning the factors regulating repair and the causes of individual variation are as yet unanswered. ..
- Seifermann M, Ulges A, Bopp T, Melcea S, SchÃ¤fer A, Oka S, et al. Role of the DNA repair glycosylase OGG1 in the activation of murine splenocytes. DNA Repair (Amst). 2017;58:13-20 pubmed publisher..The free base 8-oxo-7,8-dihydroguanine had no influence on the TNF-Î± expression in the splenocytes. The data demonstrate that OGG1 plays a role in an LSD1-dependent pathway of LPS-induced macrophage activation in mice. ..
- Rolseth V, Krokeide S, Kunke D, Neurauter C, Suganthan R, Sejersted Y, et al. Loss of Neil3, the major DNA glycosylase activity for removal of hydantoins in single stranded DNA, reduces cellular proliferation and sensitizes cells to genotoxic stress. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:1157-64 pubmed publisher..Our data support the involvement of Neil3 in removal of replication blocks in proliferating cells. ..
- Larsen E, Gran C, Saether B, Seeberg E, Klungland A. Proliferation failure and gamma radiation sensitivity of Fen1 null mutant mice at the blastocyst stage. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:5346-53 pubmed..Our data thus provide in vivo evidence for an essential function of FEN1 in DNA repair, as well as in DNA replication. ..
- Falnes P, Rognes T. DNA repair by bacterial AlkB proteins. Res Microbiol. 2003;154:531-8 pubmed..AlkB homologues are present in a number of bacterial species, and some bacteria have two different AlkB proteins. AlkB also repairs lesions in RNA, and the biological significance of RNA repair is discussed. ..
- Arczewska K, Baumeier C, Kassahun H, SenGupta T, Bjørås M, Kuśmierek J, et al. Caenorhabditis elegans NDX-4 is a MutT-type enzyme that contributes to genomic stability. DNA Repair (Amst). 2011;10:176-87 pubmed publisher..This discovery will enable us to use this extremely robust genetic model for further research into the contribution of oxidative DNA damage to phenotypes associated with oxidative stress. ..
- Tesli M, Athanasiu L, Mattingsdal M, Kähler A, Gustafsson O, Andreassen B, et al. Association analysis of PALB2 and BRCA2 in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia in a scandinavian case-control sample. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2010;153B:1276-82 pubmed publisher..Our findings support PALB2 and BRCA2 as risk genes specifically for BD, and suggest that altered DNA repair related to neurogenesis may be involved in BD pathophysiology. © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc. ..
- Ramos A, Azqueta A, Pereira Wilson C, Collins A. Polyphenolic compounds from Salvia species protect cellular DNA from oxidation and stimulate DNA repair in cultured human cells. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58:7465-71 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, SO, SF, and the isolated compounds (RA and L-7-G) demonstrated chemopreventive activity by protecting cells against oxidative DNA damage and stimulating DNA repair (SO, SF, and L-7-G). ..
- Arczewska K, Michalickova K, Donaldson I, Nilsen H. The contribution of DNA base damage to human cancer is modulated by the base excision repair interaction network. Crit Rev Oncog. 2008;14:217-73 pubmed..Interacting partners with a known role in human cancer are specifically highlighted. ..
- Dengg M, Garcia Muse T, Gill S, Ashcroft N, Boulton S, Nilsen H. Abrogation of the CLK-2 checkpoint leads to tolerance to base-excision repair intermediates. EMBO Rep. 2006;7:1046-51 pubmed..Our results indicate that persistent repair intermediates and/or single-stranded DNA formed during repair of misincorporated uracil are tolerated in the absence of the CLK-2 checkpoint in C. elegans. ..
- Brevik A, Karlsen A, Azqueta A, Tirado A, Blomhoff R, Collins A. Both base excision repair and nucleotide excision repair in humans are influenced by nutritional factors. Cell Biochem Funct. 2011;29:36-42 pubmed publisher..Here we have demonstrated that DNA repair is affected by diet and that modified versions of the comet assay can be used to assess activity of different DNA repair pathways in human biomonitoring studies...
- Dantzer F, Bjørås M, Luna L, Klungland A, Seeberg E. Comparative analysis of 8-oxoG:C, 8-oxoG:A, A:C and C:C DNA repair in extracts from wild type or 8-oxoG DNA glycosylase deficient mammalian and bacterial cells. DNA Repair (Amst). 2003;2:707-18 pubmed..Furthermore, 8-oxoG opposite A appears to be repaired by a two-step repair pathway with sequential removal of A and 8-oxoG mediated by enzymes different from OGG1. ..
- Larsen E, Reite K, Nesse G, Gran C, Seeberg E, Klungland A. Repair and mutagenesis at oxidized DNA lesions in the developing brain of wild-type and Ogg1-/- mice. Oncogene. 2006;25:2425-32 pubmed..Furthermore, rapid cell divisions seemed to be required for fixation of mutations, as a similar dose of radiation did not increase the mutation frequency, or the frequency of GC to TA transversion, in the adult brain. ..
- Falnes P, Johansen R, Seeberg E. AlkB-mediated oxidative demethylation reverses DNA damage in Escherichia coli. Nature. 2002;419:178-82 pubmed..This mechanism represents a new pathway for DNA repair and the third type of DNA damage reversal mechanism so far discovered. ..
- Zienolddiny S, Ryberg D, Svendsrud D, Eilertsen E, Skaug V, Hewer A, et al. Msh2 deficiency increases susceptibility to benzo[a]pyrene-induced lymphomagenesis. Int J Cancer. 2006;118:2899-902 pubmed..In summary, the results suggest that B[a]P accelerates lymphomagenesis in Msh2-deficient mice. Furthermore, Msh2 deficiency does not have any significant effect on B[a]P-DNA adduct levels. ..