Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on sheep in Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
Locale: Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
- Keane O, Dodds K, Crawford A, McEwan J. Identifying genes for intestinal nematode resistance using transcriptional profiling. Dev Biol (Basel). 2008;132:205-12 pubmed..A null allele of this gene was demonstrated to be associated with susceptibility to gastrointestinal parasites in some, but not all populations. This allele is not thought to be causal for susceptibility...
- Mace P, Cutfield J, Cutfield S. High resolution structures of the bone morphogenetic protein type II receptor in two crystal forms: implications for ligand binding. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;351:831-8 pubmed..Comparison with the solved structure of ActRII bound to BMP2 suggests that His87, unique amongst TGF-beta receptors, may play a key role in ligand recognition. ..
- Berger S, Griffin F. A comparison of ovine monocyte-derived macrophage function following infection with Mycobacterium avium ssp. avium and Mycobacterium avium ssp. paratuberculosis. Immunol Cell Biol. 2006;84:349-56 pubmed..M. avium ssp. paratuberculosis induced slightly more apoptosis than M. avium ssp. avium. Still the overall rate of apoptosis was very low and both subspecies suppressed LPS-induced macrophage apoptosis. ..
- Mercer A, Wise L, Scagliarini A, McInnes C, Buttner M, Rziha H, et al. Vascular endothelial growth factors encoded by Orf virus show surprising sequence variation but have a conserved, functionally relevant structure. J Gen Virol. 2002;83:2845-55 pubmed..Structural modelling also revealed that a groove seen in the VEGF-A homodimer and believed to play a role in its binding to VEGFR-1 is blocked in the viral VEGFs. This may contribute to the inability of the viral VEGFs to bind VEGFR-1...
- Broad T, Lambeth M, Burkin D, Jones C, Pearce P, Maher D, et al. Physical mapping confirms that sheep chromosome 10 has extensive conserved synteny with cattle chromosome 12 and human chromosome 13. Anim Genet. 1996;27:249-53 pubmed..These mapping data provide further evidence that sheep chromosome 10 is the equivalent of cattle chromosome 12, and that these chromosomes show extensive conserved synteny with human chromosome 13. ..
- Burkin D, Broad T, Lambeth M, Burkin H, Jones C. New gene assignments using a complete, characterized sheep-hamster somatic cell hybrid panel. Anim Genet. 1998;29:48-54 pubmed..Furthermore, the chromosomal assignment of 110 microsatellites was confirmed using this cell panel. ..
- Matthews G, Crawford A. Cloning, sequencing and linkage mapping of the NRAMP1 gene of sheep and deer. Anim Genet. 1998;29:1-6 pubmed..Using these microsatellites, the ovine NRAMP1 gene was mapped in a linkage group on ovine chromosome 2q and cervine NRAMP1 was mapped in a linkage group syntenic with human chromosome 2, mouse chromosome 1 and sheep chromosome 2. ..
- Wilson T, Wu X, Juengel J, Ross I, Lumsden J, Lord E, et al. Highly prolific Booroola sheep have a mutation in the intracellular kinase domain of bone morphogenetic protein IB receptor (ALK-6) that is expressed in both oocytes and granulosa cells. Biol Reprod. 2001;64:1225-35 pubmed..The mutation in BMPR-IB found in Booroola sheep is the second reported defect in a gene from the TGF-beta pathway affecting fertility in sheep following the recent discovery of mutations in the growth factor, GDF9b/BMP15. ..
- Diez Tascon C, Dodds K, Crawford A. Linkage mapping of the ovine single-stranded DNA-binding protein 1 (SSBP1) using microsatellite marker OARCDT7. Anim Genet. 2002;33:468 pubmed
- Phua S, Dodds K, Morris C, Paterson K, McEwan J, Garmonsway H, et al. Catalase gene is associated with facial eczema disease resistance in sheep. Anim Genet. 1999;30:286-95 pubmed
- Tebbutt S, Lakeman M, Wilson Wheeler J, Hill D. Genetic variation within the ovine cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator gene. Mutat Res. 1998;382:93-8 pubmed..In addition to the mutation (R297Q) reported previously, we have found several interesting variants, including intronic DNA variants and exonic polymorphisms. ..
- Fleming S, Anderson I, Thomson J, Deane D, McInnes C, McCaughan C, et al. Infection with recombinant orf viruses demonstrates that the viral interleukin-10 is a virulence factor. J Gen Virol. 2007;88:1922-7 pubmed publisher..Removal of any one of these genes would be expected to have only a partial effect on virulence, which is what was observed in this study with vorfIL-10...
- Young J, Juengel J, Dodds K, Laird M, Dearden P, McNeilly A, et al. The activin receptor-like kinase 6 Booroola mutation enhances suppressive effects of bone morphogenetic protein 2 (BMP2), BMP4, BMP6 and growth and differentiation factor-9 on FSH release from ovine primary pituitary cell cultures. J Endocrinol. 2008;196:251-61 pubmed publisher..These findings imply that the increased sensitivity of Booroola cells to BMP2, BMP4, BMP6 and GDF9 cannot be due to the direct action of the ALK6 mutant Booroola receptor in the cells that synthesise FSH. ..
- Sjoeholm A, Bridges R, Grattan D, Anderson G. Region-, neuron-, and signaling pathway-specific increases in prolactin responsiveness in reproductively experienced female rats. Endocrinology. 2011;152:1979-88 pubmed publisher..The findings may have significant implications for understanding postpartum disorders affecting maternal care and other prolactin-associated pathologies. ..
- Lord E, Lumsden J, Dodds K, Henry H, Crawford A, Ansari H, et al. The linkage map of sheep Chromosome 6 compared with orthologous regions in other species. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:373-6 pubmed..Other differences in the gene order between sheep, pig, and mouse suggest more complex rearrangements. ..
- Sharma A, McQuillan A, Shibata Y, Sharma L, Waddell J, Duncan W. Histomorphometric and histologic evaluation of titanium-zirconium (aTiZr) implants with anodized surfaces. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2016;27:86 pubmed publisher..The present histomorphometric and histological findings confirm that surface modification of titanium-zirconium by anodization is similar to anodised titanium enhances early osseointegration compared to machined implant surfaces. ..
- Jenkins Z, Montgomery G. Genetic mapping of the laminin gamma 2 gene on sheep chromosome 12. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:868-9 pubmed
- Tan J, Ueda N, Mercer A, Fleming S. Investigation of orf virus structure and morphogenesis using recombinants expressing FLAG-tagged envelope structural proteins: evidence for wrapped virus particles and egress from infected cells. J Gen Virol. 2009;90:614-25 pubmed publisher..Finally, immunogold labelling of EVs showed that ORF-110-FLAG became exposed on the surface of EV-like particles as a result of egress from the cell...
- Montgomery G, Henry H, Dodds K, Beattie A, Wuliji T, Crawford A. Mapping the Horns (Ho) locus in sheep: a further locus controlling horn development in domestic animals. J Hered. 1996;87:358-63 pubmed..These data suggest that there are at least two loci affecting the presence or absence of horns in sheep and cattle. The orthologous regions to OOV10 are likely to be on cattle, human, and mouse chromosomes BBO12, HSA13, and MMU14. ..
- Keane O, Zadissa A, Wilson T, Hyndman D, Greer G, Baird D, et al. Gene expression profiling of naïve sheep genetically resistant and susceptible to gastrointestinal nematodes. BMC Genomics. 2006;7:42 pubmed..The gastrointestinal tract of susceptible animals is therefore under stress and compromised even in the absence of gastrointestinal nematodes. These factors may contribute to the genetic susceptibility of these animals. ..
- Longley M, Phua S, van Stijn T, Crawford A. Isolation and mapping of the first ruminant multidrug resistance genes. Anim Genet. 1999;30:207-10 pubmed..Physical mapping using fluorescent in situ hybridisation confirmed this map placement and assigned the MDR1 locus in the region 4q15-q21. The ovine MDR2 gene was also cloned and found to map to the same region as MDR1...
- Galloway S, McNatty K, Cambridge L, Laitinen M, Juengel J, Jokiranta T, et al. Mutations in an oocyte-derived growth factor gene (BMP15) cause increased ovulation rate and infertility in a dosage-sensitive manner. Nat Genet. 2000;25:279-83 pubmed..These findings establish that BMP15 is essential for female fertility and that natural mutations in an ovary-derived factor can cause both increased ovulation rate and infertility phenotypes in a dosage-sensitive manner. ..