Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on conserved sequence in Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
Locale: Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
Topic: conserved sequence
- Butler M, Poulter R. The PRP8 inteins in Cryptococcus are a source of phylogenetic and epidemiological information. Fungal Genet Biol. 2005;42:452-63 pubmed..neoformans/C. gattii group. It is therefore probable that the C. neoformans/C. gattii mini-intein was derived from horizontal transfer in which C. laurentii or another intein-containing species was the source. ..
- Firth A, Brown C. Detecting overlapping coding sequences with pairwise alignments. Bioinformatics. 2005;21:282-92 pubmed..The algorithms should prove useful for detecting novel overlapping genes--especially short coding ORFs in viruses. Programs may be obtained from the authors. http://biochem.otago.ac.nz/double.html. ..
- Day C, Puthalakath H, Skea G, Strasser A, Barsukov I, Lian L, et al. Localization of dynein light chains 1 and 2 and their pro-apoptotic ligands. Biochem J. 2004;377:597-605 pubmed..These results suggest a molecular mechanism for the specific compartmentalization of DLCs and their pro-apoptotic cargoes and implicate other protein(s) in defining the specificity between the cargoes and the DLC proteins. ..
- McNeil M, Fineran P. The conserved RGxxE motif of the bacterial FAD assembly factor SdhE is required for succinate dehydrogenase flavinylation and activity. Biochemistry. 2013;52:7628-40 pubmed publisher..The results presented are of widespread relevance because SdhE and SDH are required for bacterial pathogenesis and mutations in the eukaryotic homologues of SdhE and SDH are associated with cancer in humans. ..
- Wilson M, Dearden P. RNA localization in the honeybee (Apis mellifera) oocyte reveals insights about the evolution of RNA localization mechanisms. Dev Biol. 2013;375:193-201 pubmed publisher..Our proposal, that the acquisition of novel RNA localization is relatively easy to evolve, has implications for the evolution of symmetry breaking mechanisms that trigger axis formation and development in animal embryos. ..
- Duncan E, Dearden P. Evolution of a genomic regulatory domain: the role of gene co-option and gene duplication in the Enhancer of split complex. Genome Res. 2010;20:917-28 pubmed publisher..We discuss the consequence of this conserved domain for the recruitment of novel genes into the Notch signaling cascade. ..
- Scaletti E, Luckner S, Krause K. Structural features and kinetic characterization of alanine racemase from Staphylococcus aureus (Mu50). Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2012;68:82-92 pubmed publisher..The potential for a disulfide bond in this structure is noted. This structural and biochemical information provides a template for future structure-based drug-development efforts targeting Alr(Sas). ..
- Sawaya S, Bagshaw A, Buschiazzo E, Kumar P, Chowdhury S, Black M, et al. Microsatellite tandem repeats are abundant in human promoters and are associated with regulatory elements. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54710 pubmed publisher..We discuss the potential functions of human promoter microsatellites in this context. ..
- MÃ©neret A, Franz E, Trouillard O, Oliver T, Zagar Y, Robertson S, et al. Mutations in the netrin-1 gene cause congenital mirror movements. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3923-3936 pubmed publisher..Since netrin-1 is a diffusible extracellular cue, the pathophysiology likely involves its loss of function and subsequent disruption of axon guidance, resulting in abnormal decussation of the CST. ..
- Ferguson S, Keis S, Cook G. Biochemical and molecular characterization of a Na+-translocating F1Fo-ATPase from the thermoalkaliphilic bacterium Clostridium paradoxum. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:5045-54 pubmed..In support of this proposal are the low rates of ATP synthesis catalyzed by the enzyme and the lack of the C-terminal region of the epsilon subunit that has been shown to be essential for coupled ATP synthesis. ..
- Firth A, Brown C. Detecting overlapping coding sequences in virus genomes. BMC Bioinformatics. 2006;7:75 pubmed..The software, web-server, database and supplementary material are available at http://guinevere.otago.ac.nz/mlogd.html. ..
- Mercer A, Wise L, Scagliarini A, McInnes C, Buttner M, Rziha H, et al. Vascular endothelial growth factors encoded by Orf virus show surprising sequence variation but have a conserved, functionally relevant structure. J Gen Virol. 2002;83:2845-55 pubmed..Structural modelling also revealed that a groove seen in the VEGF-A homodimer and believed to play a role in its binding to VEGFR-1 is blocked in the viral VEGFs. This may contribute to the inability of the viral VEGFs to bind VEGFR-1...
- Matthews G, Crawford A. Cloning, sequencing and linkage mapping of the NRAMP1 gene of sheep and deer. Anim Genet. 1998;29:1-6 pubmed..Using these microsatellites, the ovine NRAMP1 gene was mapped in a linkage group on ovine chromosome 2q and cervine NRAMP1 was mapped in a linkage group syntenic with human chromosome 2, mouse chromosome 1 and sheep chromosome 2. ..
- Zadissa A, McEwan J, Brown C. Inference of transcriptional regulation using gene expression data from the bovine and human genomes. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:265 pubmed..As the bovine genome becomes better annotated it can in turn serve as the reference genome for other agriculturally important ruminants, such as sheep, goat and deer. ..